Ch.15e Bearing Gifts

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Ch.15e Bearing Gifts

Post by Philulhu »

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 12.30pm
102 de Jean Charles Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Having detoured by a store to collect a hamper full of delicacies, Alex and Ivy made their way to Charlie Banyacya’s home.

It was a single storey, clapboard-covered ranch-style house, with a porch running across the front. Sat on wooden bench seat, watching them approach, was an older Native American man, dressed neatly in black trousers and a white shirt, secured at the neck with a bolo tie. A wide-brimmed hat shaded his eyes.

”How can I help you folks?” he called over as they drew near.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Ch.15e Bearing Gifts

Post by Silver Priest »

"Mr. Banyacya?" Alex asks, offering the man his hand.

"My name is Alexander Arbuckle. My colleague and I are keenly interested in matters of folklore. We've heard you know a great deal about the Indian tribes from this area. We were hoping to ask you some questions about the folklore of one of them. In exchange for a filled larder, of course."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy smiles thinly in greeting, but, playing the role of the dutiful wife, remains silent.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Charlie Banyacya, that’s me,” the man replied. He stood with the aid of a walking stick and walked to the edge of the porch from where he could view the contents of the hamper. Eyes shaded by his hat he studied for a long moment, then said, ”It beats bullets and beads, I guess!” and he lifted his head and they could see he was smiling.

He turned back to the house and called out, Martha - bring coffee. we’ve got guests.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy chuckles (a sound that is rarely heard); appreciating the man’s dry humour.

“Coffee would be much appreciated. My name is Ivy by the way.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Much appreciated, sir." Alex says, the appeal of a fresh pot of coffee doing much to improve his mood. "I imagine you have a great deal of experience in this field. How long were you employed in it?" He figures it's better to get a feel for the man before coming out and asking the important questions. And the detective is also a bit gregarious and enjoys getting to know friendly people, so he hardly minds an hour long explanation of the man's history-- Ivy may have a different opinion.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy is content to let the two men chew the fat, as it will allow her to sit back and study Charlie (and, when she arrives, Martha).
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Charlie looked at Ivy carefully, then smiled. ”Welcome… ma’am… …”

As he pulled out a couple of folding chairs for his guests, he said, ”Almost 30 years. Started as a young man and carried on until President Roosevelt made us all school inspectors. After that, I decided to settle down which is where I met Martha here.” He smiled as a younger woman emerged from that house with a pot of coffee and cup on a tray.

Settling back on his bench as Martha poured the coffee, he said, ”So how can I help you?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Much appreciated, young lady." Alex says, pouring himself a cup.

"I'm sure you have numerous stories we'd love to hear. But at the moment, I think we're most interested in a lesser known tribe. The Hopi, was it?" He looks towards Ivy. "Their folklore seemed rather unique compared to many of the other tribes in the area. A lot of emphasis on snakes. It caught my eye."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Indeed,” replies Ivy as she nods in thanks to Martha. “Particularly the schism of the Tochine. I’ll wager that’s a fascinating story.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Charlie frowned. ”The Hopi are well known, though rare in these parts,” he said. ”They are mainly living in Arizona but there were a few groups over here. And yes, they worship Paaloloqangw - the plumed serpent, but he is a protector - he brings storms and protects their waterways.”

“As for the ‘schism’, I’m not sure what you’ve been reading or who you’ve been talking to but that wasn’t due to no religious beliefs! The Tocine tribe was named after a leader of the same name. He had these fancy ideas that a man can have more than one wife, and he wasn’t too fussy if those wives was already married to someone else, if you catch my drift! He got run outta town by some of the husbands who were none too happy with him. Some of the ‘wives’ stayed with him but most drifted back, or found work in some of the saloons…”

“Anyone joining the tribe was expected to share his wife with Tocine so you can imagine how popular that was. They struggled on for a while but fizzled out eventually.”
He shook his head and laughed. ”It’s crazy how a tale can get twisted!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Fascinating. Though yes, I can understand why it wasn't all that popular among the menfolk," Alex chuckles. "Or the women either, it takes a special type of girl to want to share her gentleman, and I've yet to meet any of them myself.

"So the Tocine are no longer around? Do you know how long ago they were active? It would be most interesting to speak with a former member, or hear your recollections if you've been able to; I imagine the stories they could tell!"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy suppresses a frustrated sigh. So much for finding out something useful: Tochine was just some unpleasant polygamist!

She wonders how much of their hand she should reveal by pushing the questioning.

“Did Tochine and his people have any peculiar religious beliefs? Saving the unsavoury appetite for wives that is.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Charlie shrugged. ”As far as I’m aware, there’s no one around from the Tocine anymore. At least, the last one moved away more than 20 years ago and I ain’t seen hide nor hair ever since.”

He looked over to Ivy and studied her intently. ”They kinda left their traditional beliefs behind. I think it was a Mormon missionary who Tocine had got his ideas from and I think most of them converted that way.”

“I get the impression though, that you’re fishing for something else, so why doncha just come out and say what’s on your mind?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Reasoning Amy's bluntness may serve them better in this instance, Alex shoots her a look.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy's eye narrow and she nods approvingly - there's no fooling this old man.

"What's on our mind is liable to see us thrown into an asylum," she says bluntly.

"Our interest in history verges on the... supernatural. Our experiences likewise, would you believe. We have reason to believe that a community nearby fell under a snake-worshiping cult - hence our questions about the Hopi. This community calls their snake god Yig."

She stops, studying the man and his wife's reaction to the name,
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Charlie frowned and exchanged a glance with his wife. ”Yeah, we’ve heard of him,” he said grimly. ”Yig’s got nothing to do with Paaloloqangw - and my advice would be to stay aware as far as possible!”

“The folks who follow the serpent god are crazy!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"If only we could. Unfortunately, that is not an option." Alex explains. "A few of our friends were down here some time ago, and they ended up in the hands of this cult. Apparently even the local sheriff had been made a member. They escaped, but had to leave a friend behind. That friend recently turned up, which is why we came down here to investigate.

"I'm a police officer, up north. So I can't sit back and do nothing. From what I have learned this cult kidnaps people to use as sacrifices. And if they're infiltrating the police I fear if left unchecked their influence will only grow. We're trying to find enough evidence to break up the cult and end their threat once and for all. Anything you can tell us about them will be a huge help, and rest assured your words shall remain confidential. As my partner alluded to, we've seen some unbelievable things, so I think you will find we possess extremely open minds."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Can I have a Persuade roll please?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper