Ch.15d Baton Rouge

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Post by Bullfrog »

"I don't understand any of that legal stuff at all, but I know that if I was a murderous lunatic on the run, I'd try to get out of the state at the very least." Lawrence comments. "If he went west, Texas seems like a pretty likely place for him to be, if not further. I know for a fact that they aren't lacking in snakes over that way."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”You want me to ask a Judge for a warrant?” asked Sheriff DuPont. ”I know one who might oblige.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Yes, please do," says Ivy with a curt nod.

"Better that than alarming any more citizens and waving guns in their faces I think."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says William. "It might even be beneficial to serve that warrant this evening when the realtor isn't present. That way he probably won't even be aware of it until tomorrow morning."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 7.30pm
Offices of Gotlieb, Meyer & Strauss, Realtors, 102 Lafayette Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Sheriff DuPont had made a couple of calls when he had got back to the office, while the others took the opportunity to return to the hotel, freshen up and get a quick bite to eat. The concierge had slipped them a note while they ate, informing them that the application was with the judge and they should meet him at the address at 7.30pm.

They arrived to find the Sheriff, a man in a handyman’s coveralls, and a slender, suited man having a heated discussion on the sidewalk. ” This is Mr Gotlieb,” said Sheriff DuPont as they approached. Jim here,” - he indicated the sheepish-looking handyman - ”Told him we were coming.”

“This is most irregular,” complained Gotlieb, a hint of an Austrian accent in his voice. “All you had to do was contact me in the morning! I really don’t understand the need for all this skullduggery!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex stays back for now, reasoning William knows what best to say here.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy also keeps her mouth shut (but not without difficulty!)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“And who are you people?!” demanded Gotlieb angrily. “What do you want from me? Are you behind this?!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm an attorney," says William. "I'm sorry, but this can't wait until morning. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. We have a warrant duly sworn by a judge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"This is most irregular, Mr. Gotlieb, but we understand you have some pretty irregular clients. Do you know anything about a guy named Nyatanga?" Lawrence inquires, intensely staring the realtor down. "We understand you might have had some dealings with him regarding the recent sale of a church out in Pointe-aux-Chenes."
Persuade 15%: 1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gotlieb blinked, clearly puzzled by the line of questioning. Nyatanga? He was a recent client. I dealt with his land sale.”

He frowned. “Has he put you up to this?! Verdammt! I can assure you that the sale was dealt with in accordance with all state and federal laws!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy cocks her head.

"Why would you think he's put us up to this? I assume your dealings didn't end amicably?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gotlieb frowned again and shook his head. “No, no, nothing like that. It was all amicable and above board. Mr Nyatanga just struck me as slightly eccentric, is all.”

“He settled his account promptly and I have not seen anything else of him since.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's more than slightly eccentric," says William. "He's a madman, and a criminal. That's what this is about. Do you have any idea where he might have moved? Do you have any contact information for him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gotlieb scowled. “I will have to check my records.” He turned and unlocked the door, muttering to himself, ”I really don’t know why this could not have waited until the morning…”

Inside, the offices were neat and tidy, with two desks in the outer office and three doors leading off. One of those led to a kitchenette and the two others bore the names of the three partners, Gotlieb sharing with Meyer and Strauss having an office of his own. Against the back wall were some wooden filing cabinets which Gotlieb walked over to, opened and started going through the files.

He pulled out a file and crossed to one of the desks, switching on a desk light to illuminate the contents. The top page was a letter to Mr Nyatanga, addressed care of the General Store, Johnson Bayou. He looked over to a framed map on the wall, walking over to study it more carefully. “Are you familiar with Johnson Bayou, Sheriff?” he asked. DuPont shook his head.

Gotlieb turned to look at them, his finger resting on a small settlement away down on the coast. “In which case, I do hope that none of you suffer from seasickness. The only way you’re getting to Johnson Bayou is by boat!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Thank you for your cooperation Mr. Gotlieb. Forgive us if we inspect the records ourselves,” says Ivy, finishing with a sardonic smile. “It would be a shame to waste this warrant.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, thank you," says William. "What else can you tell us about Johnson Bayou?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gotlieb frowned at Ivy’s lack of trust and curtly spun the file around so she could read it for herself.

He looked at William and said, “It’s an unincorporated parish on the coast. A church or two, a general store obviously. Probably no more than two hundred people live there, mostly dirt poor working on the oil fields or the local fishing boats. I think I went there about ten years ago, but they rarely have use of a realtor. The land is virtually worthless. It lies in the path of every hurricane going. I’m surprised anyone still lives there.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you again," says William. He also examines the documents with his keen lawyer's eyes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

It made sense to Alex. The man fled to somewhere the law was unlikely to be able to reach him. The detective doubts the sheriff will be willing to venture out with him outside of his jurisdiction, which likely meant that it was up to them to bring Nyatanga to justice. Though perhaps that was for the best; Alex still remembers what happened the last time they got the local law enforcement involved.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”