Ch.15b Home Again (Lawrence)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Ch.15b Home Again (Lawrence)

Post by Philulhu »

Saturday, February 7th, 1931 10.30am
74a S. French Hill Street, Arkham, Mass.

Lawrence finished his work on the farm and drove over to the French Hill Street address where he had visited Emily’s mother with William almost a year previously. She answered the door and frowned when she remembered who he was.

“Have you come to see my Emily again?” she asked. “The doctor says she’s much better and don’t need to stay in that hospital no more.”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Ch.15b Home Again (Lawrence)

Post by Bullfrog »

"It's good to know she's doing well, especially with the state she was in after James passed away, but..." Lawrence pauses, nervous. He was going to be bearing bad news not just for a sister, but a mother as well. "I'm sorry, but I think we should head inside before I tell you any more. It isn't good news."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mrs Livingstone looked at Lawrence for a long moment then looked down and wordlessly stepped aside to allow him to enter the house.

Emily was sat by the fireplace in the living room, crocheting and talking to one of her younger siblings. She looked up as Lawrence entered, a look of puzzlement crossing her face. Mr… Gillman? What brings you here?”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"I understand you have a brother by the name of George, and he hasn't been seen in some time." Lawrence very awkwardly states, handing off the newspaper clipping to Emily. He almost seems to brace himself for the reactions to come.
"They found him. I'm sorry you had to find out like this."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

There was an audible gasp from Mrs Livingstone as she rushed to Emily’s side. They quickly scanned the article then looked a Lawrence imploringly. ”Is he still alive?!” cried Mrs Livingstone. “I feared the worst when went down south but didn’t come back! Have you spoken to the Police?!”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"I don't know what kind of state he's in." Lawrence shrugs and shakes his head; it seemed that George was either dead or otherwise unable to talk judging from the clipping, but he wasn't eager to share that information with the man's clearly-distraught mother.
"I wanted to get this news to you as soon as possible, but a friend of mine is talking to the police right now. We may travel to Louisiana to look into it ourselves."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mrs Livingstone gripped her daughter’s hand. ”Should I come with you?” asked Emily.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I’m going to retcon and tweak the timeline slightly. I’d written that Lawrence was visiting Emily in the evening but that doesn’t fit with everyone meeting at William’s at noon :oops:

I’ll change Lawrence’s visit to the morning instead.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Probably not." Lawrence gravely shakes his head. If there was anyone he didn't want to get directly involved in this horrible supernatural business, it was Emily; a repeat of what happened after the first trip to Louisiana was a dangerous possibility, even with Brophy finally, utterly dead.
"You could be putting yourself in harm's way. We met some very dangerous people on our last trip, you see, and I think that they're responsible for this."

It's no problem. Such are the side effects of time travel!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Emily looked she might argue but her mother put a hand on her shoulder and, when she looked up at her, she shook her head. Emily’s shoulders slumped and she just looked down at her lap, silent tears starting to run down her face.

”I’ll show you out, Mr Gillman,” said Mrs Livingstone, and she lead him to the front door. She paused as she opened the door, looking at Lawrence with a wet but firm gaze. “You bring my Georgie home,” she said. Emily lost her young man. I’m not sure if she could cope with losing her brother too.” She took a deep breath and showed out into the street, watching him as climbed into his car and drove away.

You can re-join the main thread.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”