Ch. 14c. Together Again (all)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Ch. 14c. Together Again (all)

Post by Silver Priest »

"Ivy? Jerry?"" Alex stumbles forward a few feet, relief removing the ache if only for a moment. "Good to see both of you. I think I've found the exit."
Last edited by Silver Priest on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Leaving his weapons and other equipment on the porch so as not to alarm the neighbors, Wiliam goes over to the house on the right to knock on the door, hoping they have a telephone and will let him use it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"God almighty, I've never been so glad to see a complete stranger in my life. Let's get the hell outta here before something else comes after us!" Jerry urges, looking ragged, exhausted, and even more burnt than usual. With another armed man and possible knowledge of the way out, there seemed to be a light at the end of these hellish tunnels, or so Jerry hoped!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy doesn’t respond. Staring into the darkness she shakes, terrified.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The curtain twitched then a light came on over the porch when William knocked on the neighbour’s door. The door was opened and a middle-aged looked out. ”Can I help you, sir?” the man asked politely.

Alex saw Jerry and Ivy emerge from the tunnel. As he watched, Ivy paused, seemingly distracted by something, then hurried up, apparently trying to make up the distance between them…

Can I have a Spot Hidden roll, please?

Ivy was frozen to the spot, unable to move, unable to speak. Her skin crawled as she felt the creature brush past her, smelled its rank breath, every fibre of her being wanting to scream as it closed in on Jerry
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, sir," says William. "Do you have a telephone? The police are next door, and they need help." He points at the patrol car parked outside the house.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Alex
can't spy anything, but something about Ivy's behavior-- which is most unusual, especially for her-- makes him nervous. He keeps his gun ready. "Let's go."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy says nothing; does nothing…
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Jerry, off-put by Ivy's strange behavior, scans over the cave with his makeshift headlamp in search of whatever spooked her. Those apes had to be running from something...
Spot Hidden 55%: 1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

What was your result? It’s not displaying properly!
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

It isn't showing up for me, either. I'll give it another try:

1d100

Looks like it finally decided to show up. A success, either way.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Attack #1 1d100
Attack #2 1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Oh, of course,” replied the neighbour, opening the door to admit William. ”Please come in. The telephone is just there,” he said, pointing to a telephone table at the foot of the stairs. ”Is everything all right next door? Poor Joshua, it’s a big house to manage on his own.” A dark-haired young man looked out into the hallway as he spoke.

It occurred to Jerry that it must have been he and Ivy that the ape creatures were running from, for the hulking creature that emerged from behind the frozen-in-terror Ivy was approaching from entirely a different direction. That thought had barely time to form in Jerry’s mind before it pounced, claws slashing through the air towards him!

The creature has caught Jerry by surprise and those claws are going to connect. What is he going to do?

As Alex looked on, a tall creature with a blood-soaked maw leapt forth from behind a motionless Ivy, its wickedly sharp claws slashing through the air towards Jerry!
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Does this look like the creature that killed the two officers?

Alex raises his gun and squeezes off three two shots, hoping to kill or at least throw the creature off track.

1d100 Firearms 75

1d100

1d100 Disregard
OOC:   Not sure what an extreme success gets me, I'm going to assume just double the damage?  
2d10

1d10

2d10 Disregard
OOC:   Only have two shots a round, my mistake, so I sadly must discard the last attack (and extreme success. :( ) Please excuse the error.  

Last edited by Silver Priest on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Jerry screams like an animal as he tries to throw himself out of the path of the claws, his brain too pickled in adrenaline to articulate words.

Dodge 54%: 1d100

Rest in peace, Jeremiah Gilman. He came into this world screaming and covered in blood, and came out in much the same way.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says William as he heads for the phone. "He wasn't there when we came by at 4:00. I'm hoping he didn't head down into the tunnels beneath his house. It's dangerous down there." He picks up the receiver and asks the operator to connect him to the police.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Damage #1 1d6+2d6
Damage #2 1d6+2d6

The telephone rang for about twenty seconds before it was answered. ”Providence Police Department, good evening. How may I help you?” came the voice at the other end of the phone.

Alex’s bullets caught the creature as it sprang forward! As its claws tore the life from Jerry, both it and he were sent tumbling backwards, landing in a heap on the floor. Rooted to the spot in terror, Ivy could only stand there as the blood spray from the bullets’ impact splattered across her back.

Alex could see both bodies lying in a rapidly spreading pool of blood. Jerry’s injuries were catastrophic; he had two deep cuts across his throat which no man could’ve survived. The creature’s lifeblood was also draining away from a large exit wound in the upper part of its back.

That’s the end of the road for Jerry. He took massive damage and there was no way to survive that :o

SAN roll, please. I didn’t ask for one when you saw the creature jump Jerry but I think instincts will have taken over at that moment. You have just seen someone ripped to pieces so I think that calls for a roll.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100 san 55

Alex rushes forward, but he does not need to go far before he realizes Jerry's fate. No one could have survived that. He wishes he had been a bit faster; this was his fault. He should have seen the creature before it struck!

But his training kicks in. They'll be time for self flagellation later. For now, he and Ivy needed to get out of here. "We need to go, Ms. Ripley." He demands, his voice authoritative. "I don't know how many of these creatures are down here, but I know I cannot handle them all on my own." With a final look at the grizzly body of their newest companion, he sets off, assuming Ivy follows.
Last edited by Silver Priest on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Jerry was only a temp character, but he was a lot of fun to play. The brightest housefires burn for half as long.

Needless to say, it's going to be an unpleasant reawakening for Lawrence.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“NO! DON’T LEAVE ME!”

Ivy screams… in her head.

Frozen with terror, all she can do is watch as Alex disappears into the shadows.

OOC:   Shame about Jerry; I liked his robust response to the supernatural!  

Return to “Servants of the Lake”