Page 1 of 1

Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 pm
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 9.00am
Arkham PD, 302 E Armitage Street, Arkham, Mass.

The wind gusted through the Arkham streets as Detective Alex Reynolds made his way to the station. The temperature had cooled in recent weeks - it looked as if it might rain later and the wind pulled at the collar of his jacket.

Inside, the desk sergeant nodded in the direction of Captain Keats’ office. When he’d returned from France Alex had tried to throw himself into work but he’d lasted barely a week before having a breakdown and being signed off by the doc. All told, he’d been on leave for about five months. This was his first day back, and he had been called into see the boss already.

In Keat’s office he was surprised to see Ivy Ripley. He’d heard she’d had some sort of accident although the details were decidedly sketchy. He hadn’t seen her since the events of Oakwood House and she looked quite surprised to see him!

”You two will be working together on this one,” Keats said. ”I’ve been asked if I can loan a couple of officers to Providence PD - a bit of paperwork and some interviews. Nothing too strenuous, given that you’re only just back in the saddle.” He glanced at Ivy and blanched slightly. ”Sorry, poor choice of words…”

He cleared his throat. ”Anyway, it seems like this…” he opened the file on his desk and studied the contents, ”…Joshua Winscott inherited a house in Providence. The PD up there have had a tip off that he had something to do with the death of the old girl who owned it previously. You’re going to go up there, make your enquiries and report what you find to Captain Lawrence. Here’s the file. Any questions?”

Re: Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:33 am
by Silver Priest
Alex took a deep breath as he entered the station. It was funny how the very sight of the building had started to fill him with a sense of trepidation after what he had seen. So much that he had been unable to enter it one day and had taken an extended leave of absence.

Things were somewhat better now. And maybe that was a start. He could put one foot in front of the other and do his job, and eventually maybe things would go back to the way they were before.

It was difficult, though. Knowing what evil was really out there. And knowing what evils were to come. In the end maybe humans would be victorious, but even in the 1970's mankind was held under the specter of destruction. To say nothing of the inhuman evils like Mordiggian. Could they even hope to stand against such things?

He shakes the thoughts away as best he can. He was one man, and he would focus on what he could do. Solving crimes in Arkham. Maybe it wasn't saving the world, but he could at least make something of a positive difference. He owed it to the world after sacrificing all those men back in--

No. He's not thinking about that. He heads into Keats office. Hopefully he could prove himself to the man once again as a hard worker.

When he sees Ivy it's like all the old horrors come back. She had not been there their trip through time, true, but she had been part of it nonetheless. And evidently it had left its own scars on her as well.

Miss Ripley.” He nods, refusing to let himself flee like he very much wants to. “I'm glad to see you've recovered.” From the physical wounds, anyway. He would have to inquire about what exactly happened; he doubted her “accident” was entirely mundane.

Understood Captain. No questions.”

This case wouldn't be so bad. A nice, normal mundane matter, far away from anything strange.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 pm
by jp1885

Ivy's hand involuntarily went up to her head at Keats' poor choice of words. She stiffens, lowering her arm. The Captain had been kind enough to offer her a job after Fraser had made it clear that paying her medical bills would be in lieu of severance pay, but the man could be an oaf at times.

She nods curtly in greeting to Reynolds.

"Detective. It is good to see you."

The man's reappearance had done much to assuage her guilt at being unable to get to the bottom of the Brophy mystery, bring the noisome wretch back to the lake and locate her fellow investigators; and she still had no idea how they had returned, or what had transpired.

So many questions... but they would have to wait.

She takes the file and flicks through it.

"A tip off? From whom?"

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
”Anonymous,” replied Keats. ”The detail are in the file.”

The file that Ivy picked up contained precisely one piece of paper - a sparse report of a telephone conversation two days before.

Officer K.E.Lyon.
Providence Police Dept.

Saturday, August 29th, 1930.

At 11.36am, I received a telephone call from an anonymous caller who wished to pass on information concerning a murder. The caller claimed that the death of a Florence Winscott, who recently inhabited 79 Power Street, Providence, was not as a result of natural causes as reported.

The caller claimed that Mrs Winscott was murdered by her nephew, Joshua Winscott, so that he might inherit her home (the Town Hall has confirmed a recent change of ownership). I asked the caller what proof he had to back up his assertion. He replied, “It’s there. You’ll see.” I pushed the caller for more information and he said, “Do your d****d job and you’ll find it!” before ending the call.

The caller was male and sounded as if he were a younger man. He had a Mass. accent, possibly Boston, but the background noise made it difficult to tell. It sounded as if the call was made from a public call box.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:17 am
by Silver Priest
"Could be someone with a grudge against the younger Winscott," Alex noted. "His reaction makes me believe he doesn't have anything in the way of evidence, just a gut feeling."

"That said,something gut feelings shake out. I'll be happy to swing by there and interview Mr. Winscott and see if anything seems off."

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 am
by jp1885

“Indeed,” Ivy concurs.

“I presume there’s a coroner’s report on Ms. Winscott?”

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 am
by Philulhu
Keats looked at Alex with a raised eyebrow. ”It’s an assignment, Detective Reynolds. Your ‘happiness’ doesn’t really come into it.”

He turned to Ivy. ”If the Police haven’t already picked it up the autopsy report, I’m sure you’ll be able to get a copy when you’re up there,” he said. ”There’s a car available for you, when you’re ready.”

Providence is a couple of hours from Arkham.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 am
by Silver Priest
"Right, Captain." Alex responds, chastened.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:30 am
by jp1885
Do you know if US telephone companies keep logs back then? I’m wondering if it’d be possible to locate the phone box.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:31 am
by Philulhu
Poor Alex! He’s just trying to make his way in the world and pretty much everyone he meets tries to kill him or is a dick to him… :(

Keats hmmphed and shook his head. ”On your way,” he said, nodding in the direction of the door.

Around the back of the station house there was a Chevy Superior in civilian colours. One of the mechanics handed Alex the keys, telling him there was a full tank of gas and reminding him that the Captain would deduct the cost of any bumps or scrapes from his next pay packet.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:36 am
by Philulhu
Sorry, just spotted this. We were still in the era of manual switchboards when an operator would connect the call. I’m not sure if records were kept, to be honest. Perhaps a Luck roll might garner some results if you pursue that line of enquiry.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm
by jp1885

[5] = 5
Luck 60 1d100: [ 5 ] = 5
Extreme success

Before heading out to the automobile, Ivy takes a few minutes to contact the operator up in Provedence.

That done, she marches over to the car.

“I trust you’ll drive carefully,” she says, somewhat archly, before settling in the passenger seat.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:42 pm
by Silver Priest

Alex is a bit wrong genre savvy. He thinks he's in a standard police procedural when he's really in a cosmic horror story. :cry:

"I'll do my best, ma'am." Alex says. He begins to drive.

"I'm glad to see you're well," he tells his companion, after a moment of awkward silence. "Do you mind telling me what happened?" Really the detective is fishing for any information that indicates Ivy had encountered something unnatural like the rest of them had.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:44 pm
by jp1885

Ivy pauses, managing to fight the urge to touch her head this time.

"After you all disappeared, I tried to do some research on Brophy and his accursed book to see if I could bring you back. I drew a blank until I received a somewhat singular visitor in the middle of the night - appeared at the foot of my bed of all places."

"He was some sort of Indian medicine man, Told me how Brophy had desecrated his tribe's sacred lake with his evil ways. He demanded I take the man's spirit to Squatter's Lake so that he could be held accountable for his crimes. Naturally I had no idea how to achieve this, and the Indian was hardly full of helpful advice, but there it is."

She stops, wincing at painful memories.

"My research took me to North Windham, where the Brophys owned a plantation. Thank the Good Lord that I told the police to come looking for me if I didn't return! After finding a diary in the ruins of the worker's huts, I resolved to search the barn. I found a badly decomposed corpse and then a horse: a poor emaciated wretch of an animal. I went to comfort the creature, and found the thing was somehow changed - tentacles growing out of it's flank! Before I could react, the beast was trampling me under it's hooves. Before I lost consciousness I heard a gunshot - the police had come looking for me."

"Next thing I know, I'm in hospital, swathed in bandages. What happened to the horse I don't know, nor the plantation house. I've tried to make enquiries but everyone is tight-lipped. With any luck the evil place has been levelled to the ground!"

"That's it in a nutshell. And you? Where did you go to?"

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:13 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex listens to Ivy's tale, quietly thankful the woman had experienced some of the strangeness surrounding the case as well. He did not relish telling her their own story otherwise!

"I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds a miracle you survived; good thinking on informing the police." He wants to ask more questions about the Indian and Brophy, but forces his natural inclinations down. He wants nothing to do with that anymore.

"Crazy as it sounds, we ended up traveling through time." He looks at her, half expecting a laugh. "The 1970's first, in England. It was a strange place." It's unclear if he is referring to the country or the time period. "We learned a lot about what the future will hold. There's going to be another great war starting in the late 1930's, and it's going to be even bloodier than the last. But we'll eventually win.The two superpowers after it ends are America and the Russians, if you can believe that."

"In any case, we eventually were able to track down Brophy, who had possessed someone and was using their body as a vessel. I don't know what his full plans were, but we needed him to get home. so I made a deal that I'd give him my body if he sent William and Lawrence back here. He agreed and began the ritual, but it was interrupted by other cultists who disliked Brophy for some reason. They killed him-- I believe it stuck this time-- and tried to kill us, but the ritual had been conducted enough that we were able to go through a portal again. This time, we ended up on the western front in the great war. Or World War 1, as it will be called."

"We quickly discovered that a cult apparently unrelated to Brophy was operating in the area, preaching that injured soldiers could regain their limbs or loved ones by worshiping a foul being known as Mordiggian. We tried to stop him from being summoned but failed. The creature turned on its worshipers, but spared us, knowing we were from a different time period. It sent us back here a few months ago. I'm not entirely certain why, but want nothing to do with such things anymore."
Alex is unwilling to tell her exactly what they had to allow to be sent back. He would carry that secret shame to his grave.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks to the extreme success with her Luck roll, Ivy had been fortunate enough to speak to the operator who had connected the call to the Police Department. The call had come from Marconi’s Roman Gardens, a restaurant on Bradford Street, Providence. The operator recognised the number as she lived nearby and at times had used the restaurant herself.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:53 am
by jp1885

Ivy remains silent for a considerable time. As much to her surprise as to Alex’s, a tear runs down her cheek.

“I- I must apologise,” she stammers. “I have in my possession a translation of a… well, a magic spell I suppose; from Brophy’s journal. Also photographs of the paintings that opened the portal. If I had taken them to Squatters Lake and read the spell, rather than getting my head caved in, perhaps I could have brought you all back and given Brophy over to the medicine man. Then you wouldn’t have gone through all of that.”

She sniffs, pulling herself together.

“Most remiss of me. Most remiss.”

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:56 pm
by Silver Priest
Of all the surprising things he had witnessed, seeing a tear fall down the notoriously unsentimental Ms. Ripley's face surely ranks near the top.

"Please do not be upset," he says, seeking to comfort her. "We were all dealing with things widely outside our areas of expertise. There's no guarantee it would have worked, anyway. Even when Brophy cast it that second time we ended up in the wrong place, and I imagine he was an expert in it. I don't know if you'd have been able to pluck us out of time, especially when you had no idea where we were."

He takes a deep breath.

"Thankfully that matter's behind us now. I... cut off contact with William and Lawrence, I could not handle seeing them after everything that transpired. Both were in dire mental condition upon returning home regardless. William remained still as a statue, and Lawrence had regressed to a child like state, caught in some sort of delusion. I do hope they've been able to recover, but I fear they seek, or would seek, to continue their investigations into this sort of thing. And I can't go through any of it again." He admits bluntly. "I've learned what happens when you go poking your nose in that sort of thing."

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:07 am
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 9.00am
Providence, Mass.

The journey up to Providence was uneventful but about half-way there the weather broke and rain spattered the windscreen steadily, although it had eased again by the time they reached the outskirts.

As they drew closer to the centre of the town, they could see a plethora of grand buildings in Victorian and Art Deco styles lining their approach. Providence was certainly a step up from Arkham.

Where would you like to go first?

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:43 am
by jp1885

Following a rare display of emotion, Ivy was content to continue the journey in silence.

However, upon reaching Providence, she sniffs.

“We should introduce ourselves to the local police; speak to Officer Lyon if he’s available,” she announces without preamble.

“Canvass potent witnesses at Marconi’s Roman Gardens; oh, and interview Winscott of course.”

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:05 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex nods. "Understood, Detective Ripley." He smiles at Ivy. "No, they are good steps to take. I find myself in agreement. To the station then; it's always a good idea to begin by introducing yourself to local law enforcement, as a courtesy."

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods, as if Alex disagreeing was never an option.

“Quite so,” she says, any irony in her companion’s part flying stratospherically over her head,

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:09 am
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 11.30am
Providence PD, Providence City Hall, R.I.

The Police Station was located in Providence City Hall, an imposing granite-faced building in the downtown area. Inside, Alex and Ivy found themselves somewhat taken aback by the grandeur of the entrance hall. They were still looking around when they were approached by a young officer, who introduced himself as Officer Lyon.

He lead the way through to the offices of the Police Department, and into the office of Captain Lawrence, a stocky ginger-haired Irishman, who was filling his pipe as they entered.

“Good morning,” he said genially, as they took the seats in front of his desk. “Good of your Captain to spare you. You’ve been briefed, I take it? Have you any questions before you get started?”

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:39 am
by jp1885

“Has anyone interviewed Mr. Winscott? If so, may we see the transcript?” Ivy asks.

“Additionally, did anyone contest the inheritance?”

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:59 pm
by Philulhu
Captain Lawrence laughed awkwardly, taken aback by Ivy’s abrupt questions.

Captain Keats said you had a way about you,” he said with a wry grin. “As far as I’m aware, nobody has contested the will, nor has anyone had interviewed Mr Winscott. If I had detectives for that, well you wouldn’t be here now, would you?”

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:36 pm
by jp1885

“Well quite,” Ivy replies, archly.

“I assume the Winscott’s haven’t come to the attention of the police before,” she says.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:55 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex opens his mouth to say something to Ivy, but closes it as he thinks better of it. He is silent the rest of the trip.

The rather impressive entrance takes the detective off guard.When introduced to the captain he opens his mouth to speak but finds Ivy jumps in ahead of him, all business as was usual. It seems her reputation was well earned.

"Good afternoon, Captain. Thank you for seeing us.

"I presume Mr. Winscott is well known throughout the community?" He asks. "What is known about him, and is he thought of as an individual of good moral character?
"

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 pm
by Philulhu
Captain Lawrence looked to Officer Lyon, who pulled out his notebook, turned over a couple of pages and said, Mr Winscott is a travel writer. Some of his work has been syndicated in the Journal and the Evening Gazette. It’s quite interesting…” Lyon caught the look from his Captain, cleared his throat and said, ”Our one and only dealing with Mr Winscott was when he reported an attempted burglary, but that was at his old address back in ‘24.”

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:16 am
by Silver Priest
"That's a long time for someone to hold a grudge, so it's likely not related. Do we know if anything was taken? If the case is still technically open, Ms. Ripley and I could pass ourselves off as investigating it in an attempt to scrounge up some leads. That could get us an interview with Mr. Winscott, hopefully without arousing his suspicion."

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:30 am
by Philulhu
Officer Lyon checked his notebook. ”No sir, nothing was reported as stolen. Someone had tried to jemmy a windows but it seemed that Mr Winscott’s dog scared him off. Officers attended but I don’t think anyone was ever apprehended.”

He glanced at Captain Lawrence, then back to Alex. ”If you don’t mind me saying, Detective, we’re not in the habit of going back over cases like that. Turning up and asking questions like that might seem a little strange.”

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:14 am
by jp1885

“Nevertheless, it is something we can bring up in conversation with Winscott,” interjects Ivy.

She focussed her gaze on Officer Lyon.

“This telephone call you received. What was your impression of the caller? The call came from the payphone at Marconi’s Roman Gardens. Do you know the place? What kind of people frequent that establishment?”

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:48 pm
by Philulhu
”Agrieved, angry, even. He was slurring his words slightly.” Lyon paused and looked at his Captain.

Captain Lawrence sighed. “Marconi’s is a speakeasy, like half the joints in town. Probably more than half, if the truth be known. It’s well run, though - we don’t get any trouble there. Not that they get an easy ride, but there’s only so much we can do with the resources we have.”

He leaned forward and looked at Ivy and Alex. “Don’t get any ideas about going on some sort of crusade. That’s not your assignment here. We know our responsibilities under the Volstead Act and we’re doing our best. You stick to the Winscott case. You understand?”

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:34 pm
by jp1885

“We do not intend to go breaking up barrels,” sniffs Ivy. “But the call you received was made from there, so if the caller can be identified, he could explain himself.”

She tries not to look smug that she’s uncovering red something the local PD hasn’t.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 pm
by Philulhu
Captain Lawrence’s smile faded somewhat and he sat back in his chair. “I can see by the look on your face that you’ve solved the case already. So please tell me, Detective, who killed Mrs Winscott? If you like, I’ll get Officer Lyon here to run down to the cells and get one ready, while you go and fetch your suspect.”

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:28 pm
by jp1885

“Sarcasm does not become you,” says Ivy flatly.

“Though you make a valid point. How did Mrs. Winscott die? May we see the coroner’s report? ”

Ivy may lack the social graces required to defuse a tense situation (usually, as in this case, of her own making), but she can be quite adept at turning the subject around.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 pm
by Philulhu
Lyon caught the look on his boss’ face and rushed to open the door. “You’ll find the coroner out there!” said Captain Lawrence firmly, as Lyon ushered them from the room and into the corridor beyond.

”I don’t think I’ve ever seen his face that colour before…” said Lyon, looking back at Lawrence’s door as if his boss might re-appear at any moment…

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:17 pm
by jp1885
Aw, I was having such fun, winding up authority figures!

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 pm
by Silver Priest
"I'm aware it's unusual, Captain, but it's certainly better than letting the man know that he's under suspicion of being involved in the murder of a relative.

"You're aware it's a speakeasy?" The words fill him with rightful indignation. Prohibition was the law, and these places operating with impunity angers him. But he also does not want to anger the locals, and it seemed a sore point for them. "Well, I suppose it allows us to keep an eye on local criminal elements better than if it was underground. Understood, Captain."

Ivy then decides to irritate Lawrence. Though if he's being honest, Alex thinks the man deserves it given his grasping dereliction of duty. He still gives a nod and "thank you" as they walk out, however.

"Perhaps you should let me take the lead with the coroner," he suggests to his partner, before the (probable) expression on her face makes him think better of it. "Do feel free to jump in if you think of anything pertinent, however!"

OOC:   Alex may need to make a san roll here in a few minutes-- I'm fairly certain Ivy's more intimidating than some of the horrors he's encountered.  

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:41 pm
by Philulhu
The door’s just there. Ivy should feel free to go back in and see what it would take to get thrown in the cells… 😉

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 pm
by jp1885

The blow she took to the head hasn’t made her that stupid!

“Very well,” Ivy replies. “Perhaps you can elicit some more useful responses from these people than a mere woman such as I.”

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:11 am
by Philulhu
This is the current situation with Prohibition (see Section 6) - https://www.historyextra.com/period/20t ... n-alcohol/

Captain Lawrence probably doesn’t have the resources for effective enforcement and could well be tilting against public opinion if he did. That said, feel free to play Alex as you like. If he’s a straight-edge teetotaller, so be it.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 am
by Silver Priest
"I didn't mean--" Alex blanches. "I find your contributions very useful, Ms. Ripley, but perhaps we should conduct this investigation with a bit more... delicacy. We're not in Arkham,after all. And I've just come back from medical leave, so I don't want to risk the chief receiving complaints."

Yes, I am playing Alex as rather charitably a square. He's very no nonsense, "the law is the law." But he knows when to pick his battles and is not unsympathetic to the chief despite being quietly horrified.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:22 am
by Philulhu
”You mentioned the coroner’s report? Let me get you directions to his office…” said Officer Lyon, who now seemed keen to get them off the premises, in case his own relationship with Captain Lawrence be somehow tainted by association.

Dr Strauss is the county coroner,” he said. ”His office is on Orms Street. We can pick up a street map from the front desk on the way out.”

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:46 am
by jp1885

Ivy rolls her eyes and emits a long-suffering sigh at Alex’s suggestion that she is somehow lacking in tact, as if she gets this kind of thing all the time.

However, she keeps her thin-lipped mouth shut; merely nodding and snatching a map off the desk as they leave the station.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:02 pm
by Philulhu
Are you heading to the coroner’s so Ivy can annoy the crap out of a whole new group of people?

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:11 pm
by jp1885
:lol: Yep, I reckon so.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex heads off to the coroner, thanking Officer Lyon as he does so-- hoping to at least keep civil communications open with someone in local law enforcement.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 12.15pm
County Coroner’s Office, 49 Orms Street, Providence, R.I.

The offices of the County Coroner weren’t as grand as the City Hall and there was a queue of people waiting at the reception desk. Officer Lyon must have wrung ahead, however, as a clerk was loitering and came over to greet them as soon as they came through the door.

They were quickly shown into the Coroner’s office, where Dr Strauss sat behind his desk. He was an older, thin man, with tufts of hair above his ears. He looked up impatiently, peering over the held-moon glasses. ”Well, what is it?” he snapped. ”Come along! No shilly-shallying! It’s my lunch hour!”

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:27 am
by Silver Priest
Take aback, Alex quickly recovers. "Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Doctor. We were hoping you could share your notes on a Mrs. Winscott's cause of death. It may be relevant to a case we are investigating."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am
by Philulhu
Dr. Strauss leaned over his desk and riffled through some files in a wooden in-tray. Pulling one out, he opened it to show a medical report. He tapped the cause of death. ”Myocardial infarction - a heart attack in layman’s terms,” he said. ”Foolish woman wouldn’t have anything to do with her local doctor. Probably treatable, but you can’t tell some people that! Now is that it? Can I have my lunch now?!”

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:50 am
by jp1885

“Foolish indeed!” Ivy retorts.

“If there was no suspicion of foul play, we shall trouble you no further.”

She seems curiously unvexed by the coroner’s brusqueness.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:50 am
by Philulhu
You could try a Psychology roll.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 pm
by jp1885

[59] = 59
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 59 ] = 59
Oof!

Ivy takes a moment to size up the coroner.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:55 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy’s pretty sure that the coroner is just waiting (not especially patiently) for these out-of-towners to leave his office so he can have lunch.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:29 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

"Thank you for your time, doctor. Enjoy your lunch."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:34 pm
by Philulhu
With a rather perfunctory wave, Dr Strauss dismissed Alex and Ivy from his presence. He was already unwrapping the waxed paper on his sandwiches before the door had closed…

They found themselves back in the reception area, amidst the queues again.

Dr Strauss is telling the truth. And personality-wise, he almost makes Ivy seem genial…

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:11 am
by Silver Priest
"Well. I suppose the good news is there's no evidence of foul play." Alex declares, fairly well convinced. "Though I'd like to head to this restaurant and see if anyone there knows of a man, perhaps inebriated, who has a grudge against Mr. Winscott. If we find them hopefully he can offer us any evidence he believes we should be made aware of."

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 am
by jp1885

“Yes, quite so,” Ivy concurs.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05 am
by Philulhu
Marconi’s is a ten minute drive/25 minute walk away. Are you heading there now?

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:26 pm
by jp1885
Yeah, I think so, if my colleague is in agreement.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:32 pm
by Silver Priest
Sounds good. We can get lunch too and expense it as part of the investigation. :D

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 12.55pm
Marconi’s Roman Gardens, Bradford Street, Providence, R.I.

The front door of the restaurant stood ajar and Alex and Ivy let themselves in past the sign that announced ‘IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE 18TH AMENDMENT, NO INTOXICATING LIQUOR ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES’.

Stepping through the lobby and into the main room, they were met by a puzzled look from the man serving behind the bar. That turned to a frown as he glanced at a thick set man emerging from gents’ toilets. The doorman had taken a quick comfort break which had allowed Alex and Ivy the chance to walk in unannounced.

Recovering quickly, the barman’s frown was swiftly replaced by a rather artificial smile. “What can we do for you, Officers?” he said loudly, putting special emphasis on the last word, which caused a sudden hush to descend amongst the dozen or so patrons, who slowly turned to look at the interlopers.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:24 am
by Silver Priest
"Good afternoon," Alex says, sitting down at the bar like it was the most ordinary thing in the world. He places some money down on it and offers up abroad smile ."Could my associate and I get some drinks? I'll have a lemonade, if you please. What would you like?" He asks Ivy, intending to order for her.

When the bartender returns with the drinks Alex gives him a dollar tip and beckons him in close. "We have some questions about one of your patrons, but our concerns do not extend to this establishment in particular or the services it may hypothetically provide, if you catch my meaning." He felt a bit dirty making such a bargain, but this wasn't his fight. "Have any of your customers been in here ranting about a Joshua Winscott, specifically after they have perhaps enjoyed a few libations-- purchased illegally somewhere else, I am sure?"

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 am
by jp1885

Ivy perches primly on a bar stool with a ginger ale.

“Perhaps someone made a call from your payphone on Saturday 29th, around about 11:30am. Couldn’t have been many patrons around that time.”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:08 am
by Philulhu
The barman looked at them suspiciously as he polished a glass. A couple of the patrons finished up their drinks and left.

It’s going to take a social skills roll to get him to talk. Your choice.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Sighing, Alex places another dollar on the table.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:26 am
by jp1885

[31] = 31
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 31 ] = 31

While Alex greases the wheel, Ivy glowers.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:55 am
by Philulhu
The barman finished polishing the glass and switched to polishing the bar, quickly sweeping up the note that Alex had placed on the surface. He looked at Ivy suspiciously and said, “Who wants to know?”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:43 pm
by jp1885

Deciding to be truthful, Ivy clears her throat.

“My name is Ivy Ripley. I am… well, I am an investigator of sorts I suppose. Currently I’m working on this case for the Arkham PD. Therefore I have no interest in the workings of your establishment: perfectly legal though I’m sure they are.”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm
by Philulhu
“We’d hate to hear anyone thought otherwise,” he said, without specifying who the ‘we’ were. “And you?” he continued, turning to Alex. “What’s your name?”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:54 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   With those rolls I was hoping we'd get a free meal at least. One star on Yelp! :lol:  

"Detective Alex Reynolds," Alex says, emphasis on "Detective". The bartender could hear the capital letter. "Arkham Police. My associate and I were sent here to assist the Providence department. Someone made a call from a phone near here alleging that a Mr. Joshua Winscott had something to do with the death of the previous owner of the home he inherited. We're looking into the case and just want to talk to the individual to get there statement and see what if any evidence they believe we should be looking into. The person's not in trouble, nor is your establishment. But please understand Sir; the police take accusations of foul play very seriously and this must be looked into to determine if there's any evidence of such."

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
The barman looked from Alex to the doorman for a long moment, then back again. “No idea,” he said. I can’t help you.” His eyes flicked from Alex to the doorman again, with a barely perceptible nod in the big man’s direction.

“Now, do you want a drink or are you going to be on your way?”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:05 am
by Silver Priest
"I think we'll be on our way" Alex says, getting to his feet.

He passes the doorman on his way out, stopping as if to ask him a question. "Excuse me Sir, do you know a Joshua Winscott?

1d100

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 am
by Philulhu
”Don’t know no one by dat name,” said the doorman, as he opened the door to let them out. He steeped out after them, allowing the door to close, then said quietly, ”But I think the guy you’re looking for - the one who made the phone call - is Abe Kasper. He was in here beefing about something the other day, used the phone, and cleared out.”

He looked up and down the street.”You didn’t hear that here, you understand?”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 pm
by jp1885

Ivy is about to let loose at the barman when thankfully she realises what’s going on.

Primly finishing her drink, she nods curtly in thanks before joining Alex.

“Where might we find this fellow?”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:26 pm
by Silver Priest
"Have a good afternoon, Sir." Alex gives the man a brief nod before heading out, subtly attempting to pull Ivy away as well.

"Now we have a name." He tells Ivy. "Shall we head to the town's records and see if we can't dig up an address?" He's in good spirits, having forgotten how much he enjoyed a nice, quiet investigation that was free of any of the horrors he had previously encountered. Alex decides he could do this for the next 30 years, regardless of whatever else happened in the world. There was a familiarity, and a comfort, in routine.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:08 pm
by Philulhu
The doorman had just shrugged at Ivy’s question as if he didn’t know the answer. He nodded to Alex, turned and went back into the restaurant, closing the door behind him.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:13 pm
by jp1885

“Hmph, I suppose the records office it is then,” Ivy mutters.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:18 am
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 3.15pm
Providence PD, Providence City Hall, R.I.

By the time Alex and Ivy had grabbed a quick lunch and made their way back to the City Hall (home of the Records Office) it was gone 3 ‘o’ clock. Fortunately, it was a quiet afternoon and they didn’t have to wait long before one of the clerks could see them.

”Abe Kasper? No address? Hmm, wait here…” said the clerk and he disappeared into the back office. He was back ten minutes later with a name and address written on a slip of paper. He checked Alex and Ivy’s credentials, then pushed the piece of paper across the desk. Written in the clerk’s neat, copperplate was ‘Abraham Elijah Kasper,132a Ashburton Street, Providence, R.I.’

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:27 am
by Silver Priest
"Much appreciated, Sir." Alex takes the address and looks towards Ivy. "Shall we swing around now, or stop by the station and see if Mr. Kasper has any sort of record?"

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 am
by jp1885

“Normally I’d suggest the latter,” Ivy replies. “But no doubt word will get out that we’re looking for him, so perhaps we should strike while the iron is hot.”

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:17 pm
by Philulhu
Which one first? Precinct or Kasper residence?

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 pm
by jp1885
Kasper residence I reckon.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 pm
by Silver Priest

Agreed.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 pm
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 4.05pm
132a Ashburton Street, Providence, R.I.

Ashburton Street turned out to be a string of mismatched houses in an insalubrious part of town. Once grand family homes were now subdivided into apartments and let to immigrants and those who were low paid or down on their luck. Anyone with money or prospects had long since moved on.

As Alex guided his car to the kerb, the neighbourhood stopped to watch. Children playing in the street, women gossiping on their front step and even a few old men sat around a folding table watching a game of chequers being played, turned to look at the two interlopers.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:40 am
by Silver Priest
Alex feels very much like an outsider. An entire neighborhood observing their activities was not conducive to effective police work, but things would hopefully be entirely aboveboard here. Mr. Kasper had committed no crime, and hopefully things could be resolved amicably.

Heading up the steps, he knocks on the door.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:06 am
by jp1885

Ivy also feels uncharacteristically uncomfortable, but tries to hide it beneath a haughty facade.

As Alex knocks, Ivy hangs back a little, keeping an eye on the car.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 am
by Philulhu
After a short wait, a bleary-eyed man answered the door. He looked to be in his mid thirties, tall with brown hair with a careworn look about him. He blinked a few times - he’d clearly been asleep. He smacked his lips a couple times and Alex was treated to a breath of stale beer, garlic and halitosis.

”Whaddaya want, waking up a guy at this time?” he grumbled, frowning. He blinked again and said, ”Hey, are you the Feds? Gonna throw that worthless bum in prison and get me what’s rightfully mine?”

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:43 am
by Silver Priest
"Good afternoon Sir," Alex says, having to hold back a grimace. "Are you Mr. Abraham Kasper?

"I'm Detective Alexander Reynolds, Arkham Police. My Associate Ms. Ripley and I would like to ask you a few questions about Mr.Joshua Winscott. May we come in?
" He's almost hoping the answer is no.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 am
by Philulhu
Kasper looked up and down the street. ”I ain’t go no problem with people knowin’ my business.”

”Besides,” he continued, raising his voice, ”It’s about time people started takin’ me seriously! Not like these assholes!” There was mocking laughter and howls of abuse from the neighbours in response, to which Kasper scowled and flipped them the bird.

”Anyway, whaddaya wanna know?” he said, turning back to Alex and Ivy.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 am
by jp1885

“Perhaps you could tell us your side of the story,” suggests Ivy. “Why do you think Mrs. Winscott was murdered? How have you been cheated of your inheritance?”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:44 am
by Philulhu
”Well, me and Josh Winscott are cousins, see?” said Kasper. ”He’s about ten months older’n me. Everyone thought that he was the clever one, goin’ off to college and gettin’ himself a fancy degree, but he comes back with his tail between his legs when he can’t find no job. Aunt Flo takes pity on him an’ gives him some money to take a holiday an’ next thing you know, he’s callin’ himself a ‘travel writer’ an’ people’s givin’ him money to go away!” He shook his head incredulously.

”Now while he’s off galivantin’, who d’ya think’s looking after the old broad? Me, that’s who! Not that I was expectin’ anything, no. Just did it out o’ the goodness o’ my heart!” A look of piety crossed his face before he continued.

”Stands to reason that Josh got wind of how well I was lookin’ after old Flo and decided to put a stop to it! Stands to reason that he could see his inheritance disappearin’, so I reckon he bumped her off. He knew the old bat would change her will in my favour sooner or later so he rubbed her out!”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:38 am
by Silver Priest
"That's concerning information sir," Alex manages with a straight face. Inwardly though he's scrutinizing the man's mannerisms to see if there's even a hint of genuine concern or suspicion here or if it's motivated by pure bitterness-- as he strongly suspects. "We'll swing by Mr. Winscott's later today and have a talk with him, and I'll also instruct the coroner to look for any signs of foul play."

1d100

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 am
by jp1885

[76] = 76
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 76 ] = 76

Ivy’s eyes narrow.

“What evidence do you have to back up your accusation?” she asks.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:22 am
by Philulhu
Kasper rolled his eyes. ”You out o’ town Feds ain’t too bright, are yer?”

”Like I said, it stands to reason that he bumped off the old witch,” he said slowly, as if talking to a pair of simpletons. ”He was always the golden boy and he couldn’t stand the fact that I was gettin’ more popular with Flo, so he came back to bump her off afore she had chance to change her will.”

”As for proof, well ain’t that your job? I’ve reported a crime now you go investigate!”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:20 pm
by jp1885

“Clearly us country rubes haves a lot to learn,” mutters Ivy, sotto voice.

“Well, unless my colleague here has anything else to ask, we’ll continue our investigation.”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:23 pm
by Silver Priest
'Indeed. Thank you for reporting your concerns, Mr. Kasper. Though perhaps next time use your real name. Speaking with you has proven informative." In more than one way. "We'll go have a talk with Mr. Winscott at once."

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:45 pm
by jp1885

As Alex and Ivy take their leave, Ivy let’s out an exasperated sigh.

“Apart from a case of sour grapes, that was a colossal waste of time!”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:01 pm
by Silver Priest
"That's my thinking as well," Alex nods. "Though to be honest, I'm relieved. My first case back needed to be something a bit more mundane.

"I suppose we can probably close the books on this one, and report to the local police that it's very likely there's no merit to Mr. Kasper's accusations
."

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 pm
by jp1885

“Hm, it’d be remiss of us not to speak to Mr. Winscott first,” replies Ivy. “Once we’re sure everything is above-board, then we can return to the station.”

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:28 pm
by Silver Priest
"Fair enough," Alex nods. "Let's go pay him a visit."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:15 am
by Philulhu
We’re going to have to pause at that point as events in the other thread are likely to impact upon events in this thread, so we’ll have to give them a bit of time to catch up.

I’ll try to get back to you as quick as I can.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks for your patience. We’re nearly there!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:00 am
by jp1885
No worries :)

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:00 am
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 4.35pm
79 Power Street, College Hill, Providence, R.I.

Alex and Ivy pulled up in front of the Winscott house to find a dilapidated, Colonial-era house shrouded by overgrown trees and vegetation that mostly obscured the house from the street.

Except for a solitary light burning in one of the downstairs windows, there was no sign of life.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:42 am
by jp1885

“Delightful. I suppose we should knock,” says Ivy as she climbs out of the car.

She marches up to the front door and raps sharply on the woodwork, making the assumption that Alex is following behind.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:10 pm
by Silver Priest
"I can certainly understand why a man would murder for this place," Alex jokes.

He follows behind Ivy, admiring her tenacity at seeing this matter through to the end. She would have made a good officer, probably one of the best he'd ever known.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:01 pm
by Philulhu
As they waited for a reply, Alex and Ivy found themselves hailed from the other side of the street.

”Err… Officers?” They turned to see an older lady, well dressed but in a fashion from the last century. “I was walking Fortescue,” - she indicated the mangey-looking terrier she was carrying, which they’d initially mistaken previously for a muff to keep her hands warm - ”and I saw a man carrying a rifle entering the house. I thought it was the sort of thing you ought to know…”

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:53 am
by Silver Priest
Alex's eyes widen as the case suddenly becomes far more serious.

"Get back inside ma'am"" he tells her. "We will take it from here."

"Stay behind me."" He informs Ivy, in a tone he hopes is authoritative. Pulling out his pistol, he accesses the situation. Ivy had already knocked on the door, so stealth was likely out. They could try to force their way in, but there was no guarantee that would work. It was a tough call.

In the end, the detective decides to get to the side of the front door. Hopefully whomever opened the door would be expecting someone to be right outside the house, and they could then surprise the occupant and get a better understanding of any threat from within the house.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:28 am
by jp1885

Ivy reluctantly complies with Alex’s order and stands behind him, fishing through her handbag for her nightstick.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:38 am
by Philulhu
Long moments passed but there was no answer to Alex’s knock.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:43 am
by jp1885

“Try the handle,” urges Ivy. “Somebody could be hurt in there.”

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:56 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex feels reluctance and hates himself for it. Damn it, he had let innocents die once(worse than that, he thinks before shaking off those memories.) Not again. He tries the handle. And if it's locked he'll try to kick in the door. He won't let someone die due to his cowardliness again.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:36 pm
by Philulhu
The door handle turns and Alex finds the door is unlocked. It swings open, to reveal an entrance lobby beyond, with doors off into the rooms of the house.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:32 am
by Silver Priest
Alex attempts to listen for sound coming from any of the doors.

1d100[/roll]]

OOC:   Messed up the rolls, take the first one so a crit fail.  

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:04 am
by jp1885

[8] = 8
Listen 50 1d100: [ 8 ] = 8

While Alex might have cotton in his ears, Ivy’s senses are extra sharp.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:06 pm
by Philulhu
There was no sound from anywhere in the house.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:04 pm
by Silver Priest
Assuming Ivy indicates there's no sounds, Alex begins tiptoeing towards the nearest door and tries the handle.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:14 pm
by jp1885

Ivy does indeed indicate that.

Not wishing to be outdone, she tries the nearest door on the opposite side of the lobby, nightstick at the ready.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 am
by Philulhu
Splitting the party already? Excellent… … :twisted:

Alex found himself in a lounge, with two settees, a table strewn with papers and the remains of a fire burning down in the grate. At the end of one of the settees, where two blankets were neatly folded, a glass decanter and glasses stood on an occasional table.

Ivy found herself in what appeared to be a dining room, albeit one where sheets covered most of the furniture, giving the room and eerie feel. The room was dusty and obviously had not been used for a while, except for where footprints led from the doorway towards the far corner of the room…

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:10 am
by Silver Priest
The papers are of interest to Alex, but he's more concerned with finding the occupants of the house, specifically the one with the rifle. The fact no one answered their knocks leads him to worry for the safety of the owner.

He leaves the room, trying the next door, gun still drawn.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:34 am
by jp1885

Ivy steps back into the lounge, about to call Alex when he too appears.

She grabs him by the elbow before he can proceed to the next room.

“I’ve found footmarks. In the dust. I hate to sound like a hackneyed haunted house story, but they lead into the corner of the room, so I suspect a secret passage.”

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:25 am
by Silver Priest
Alex nods. "Let's go see where it leads." He retraces Ivy's steps and looks around for a hidden passage.

The normally stoic detective has to admit he's finding this rather exciting. It was all very gothic.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:55 am
by Philulhu
The footprints led to the corner of the room, where a bookcase stood. It was dusty and hadn’t been disturbed for some time, except for a couple of spaces where books appeared to have been removed.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:48 pm
by jp1885

“Quite. Maybe there’s a hidden door handle. Let’s see.”

Ivy peers into and around the gaps left by the removed books, looking for secret catches or switches.

[32] = 32
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 32 ] = 32

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:33 pm
by Philulhu
There was no latch or lever that Ivy could find. It looked as if someone had merely walked across to the bookshelf, taken some books and re-traced their steps.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm
by Silver Priest
"Books are gone," Alex whispers. "Maybe they were searching for something. I don't see any hidden passage here, so we should keep looking. Also, I'd prefer we stick together, you behind me please."

Unless stopped, he heads back out of the room and moves towards the next door.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:11 pm
by jp1885

Angry at herself for becoming wrapped up in such foolishness as secret passages, and unhappy at being reduced to the role of the weak girl who must be protected by the heroic man, Ivy nonetheless concurs.

“I will be right behind you,” she says, somewhat curtly. “And will try not to swoon, scream and wotnot.”

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Returning to the hallway, Alex and Ivy moved through an archway and into the rear vestibule. To their right, a door stood ajar. Ahead lay the kitchen and to their left, a carved wooden staircase appeared to lead upstairs.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:04 am
by Silver Priest
Reasoning a door being left ajar meant someone may have gone through it, Alex heads through the door to the right.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:00 am
by jp1885

Ivy follows, senses alert for anything untoward.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 am
by Philulhu
The room was set out as bedroom, with a single bed, neatly made, alongside a chest of drawers. A casual suit hung on the back of door.

Unlike the dining room next door, this room was free from dust.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:36 am
by jp1885

“Either Winscott can’t manage the stairs, or he has a guest,” observes Ivy.

“I suppose we should keep looking for people, rather than poking around their belongings, hm?” she muses, fingering the lapel of the suit.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:58 pm
by Silver Priest
The evidence of a guest alarms Alex. That may mean more people are in danger.

"Right," he nods to Ivy. "Let's head up the stairs, cautiously."

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:34 am
by Philulhu
The stairs opposite the downstairs bedroom led to the first floor of the house. Alex and Ivy found themselves on the landing on the 1st floor, where five closed doors greeted them.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:35 am
by Silver Priest
Alex's first thoughts are that this house was too damn big.

But the detective quells his frustrations-if only for a moment-- and continues on. He looks back towards Ivy, eager to hear her feedback before he starts opening doors at random. He's come to trust in her instincts.

Not sure if you're finding this scene tedious to run given the many empty rooms, but I just want to say it's been one of the most gripping ones so far. I feel as on edge as Alex does.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 am
by Philulhu
I’m more than happy to keep ratcheting up the tension… :o

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:06 pm
by jp1885

Ivy sighs, sharing Alex’s frustrations. However, rather than give in to this, she remains as careful as her companion and listens at each door in turn; indicating for Alex to do likewise.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:30 pm
by Philulhu
Aside from a faint ticking noise from behind one of the doors, the rooms were silent.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:29 pm
by jp1885

In the absence of any other possible indication of life, Ivy shrugs and opens the door to the ‘ticking room’.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:31 am
by Philulhu
The door opened to reveal a study, or at least that was what was indicated by the shape of furniture under dust-covered sheets. A shrouded desk and chair were placed in front of the window, through which Alex and Ivy could see the concerned neighbour watching from across the street. The light was starting to fade and lights could be seen switched on in other houses.

Like the room below, footprints could be seen in the dust on the floor, this time making their way to a grandfather clock that ticked loudly in the quiet house.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:22 am
by Silver Priest
Having already been fooled once by promises of a hidden passage, Alex is not planning to be again. He leaves the room and starts opening each of the other doors, starting with the one closest to the stairs. If no one is inside he intends to move onto the next down the line.He doubts anyone is in any of the rooms, but his intention is to ensure that Ivy and himself cannot be ambushed as they head deeper into the house.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:56 am
by Philulhu
None of the rooms were inhabited. Apart from the study and a bathroom, all appeared to be bedrooms. The only one that appeared to have been used recently was that of an elderly lady - if the clothes and accoutrements were anything to go by - which Alex surmised would have been the late Florence Winscott.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:35 am
by jp1885

With all the other rooms yielding nothing of interest, Ivy suggests returning to the room with the clock.

“People have been there recently. We should at least examine the clock,” she declares.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:09 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex nods, and gets to work doing so.

1d100

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:20 am
by Philulhu
Unlike most grandfather clocks that either of them had seen, the body of the clock in the corner was made of carved oak. Etched into the panels were scenes of slavery - men, women and children bound in chains and being taken on-board ships, or being worked in the plantations. Amidst the carvings of the ships, strange creatures writhed with misshapen octopoid heads, even devouring some of the slaves from the ships themselves.

SAN check, please.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:17 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Disturbed by the image, Alex nonetheless retains his cool. still, before his recent adventures he'd be prone to dismiss the imagery as the work of an imaginative if disturbed mind. Now, he could no longer be sure if there wasn't a grain of truth to it.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:20 am
by jp1885

[70] = 70
SAN 71 1d100: [ 70 ] = 70
Phew!

Ivy shudders, visions of writhing tentacles and lashing hooves briefly flashing in her head.

She takes an involuntary step back from the clock and gathers her wits.

“Ghastly thing!” she exclaims. “I assume this belonged to the late Mrs. Winscott? Perhaps we should have inspected her reading material downstairs, if this is the kind of thing she kept in her room.”

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:15 pm
by Silver Priest
"It's probably just a piece created by a local eccentric," Alex says, somewhat unconvincingly. Still, he's not inclined to look further. "But there's no time for further investigation of that now; someone is lurking around this house with a gun, and we need to find him."

He heads out of the room and tries to explore the rest of the floor.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:29 pm
by jp1885

“Indeed. Yes, of course,” splutters Ivy, reminding herself to prioritise lives over mystery.

Somewhat sour-faced, she assists Alex with the search.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
The other rooms on this floor turned out to be a couple of other dust-shrouded bedrooms which clearly hadn’t been used in many years, a bathroom and a walk-in closet. The latter was full of a woman’s clothes, the style of which mainly dated back to the last century.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:12 am
by Silver Priest
Alex is tense, expecting each door to reveal a armed gunman. The lack of one only adds to his increasing dread.
OOC:   Is there a second floor? If so I think we'd check that out next.  

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Did we search all of the ground floor?  

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:56 am
by Philulhu

The property does have an attic, as evidenced by the window in the eaves. You haven’t found the access door yet.

You didn’t search all of the ground floor.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am
by jp1885

“Let’s complete our search of the ground floor,” suggests Ivy.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:54 pm
by Silver Priest
"Right," Alex nods, silently chiding himself for heading upstairs before clearing the ground floor-- it left a perfect opportunity for the assailant to ambush them or escape, though thankfully the eagle eyed neighbor should help prevent that.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:18 am
by jp1885

Heading back downstairs, Ivy opens the nearest door to the dusty library.

“Good a place as any,” she mutters.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:09 pm
by Philulhu
At the foot of the stairs Alex and Ivy could see the archway leading back to the entrance hall to their right, the bedroom they had previously explored straight ahead and the door to the kitchen on their left.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:10 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex heads for the kitchen.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:38 pm
by jp1885

Ivy follows, alert for any trouble.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:11 am
by Philulhu
The kitchen was well-appointed, if dated, with a table and chairs set in the middle. Ahead there was a door that presumably lead to the outside, and to their left, there was a door that appeared to lead to a cellar.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods towards the cellar door.

“Our gunman could be hiding down there,” she whispers. “There can’t be anywhere else unless he’s gone out the back.”

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm
by Silver Priest
"Good thinking," Alex nods, and heads to the cellar door and gets ready to descend.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 am
by jp1885
Do we have flashlights? It’s bound to be dark down there…

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:25 am
by Philulhu
Make a Luck roll to see if you have one in the car.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:00 pm
by jp1885

[65] = 65
Luck 60 1d100: [ 65 ] = 65

Ivy makes to open the cellar door, pauses, and tuts severely.

“Neither of us thought to bring a flashlight did we? Foolish! Let’s hope there’s a light switch.”

With that self-chastisement, she opens the door and peers in.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:46 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

OOC:   Do I make a luck roll as well? I'm guessing no, just want to confirm before we continue.  

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:53 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, I’m going with group luck here. Ivy’s got the lowest score and tried but failed. I’m sure it’ll be fine…

Through the open door, Ivy could see some rough stone steps leading down to a cellar below. A sickly yellow light offered some illumination.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:06 pm
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps one of us should go over to the neighbor and ask to borrow a light," Alex suggests. "I don't want either of us breaking our necks, and that light could go out at anytime."

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:11 pm
by jp1885

“That’s an excellent idea,” Ivy replies (with a hint of grudging admiration) as she carefully closes the door.

“By all means go and enquire. I shall busy myself by examining the library again while I await your return. If there’s a catalogue or somesuch, maybe I can work out what books have been taken and shed some light on what’s going on here.”

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:04 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex was going to suggest Ivy go, not wanting to leave an unarmed woman in a house with a potential dangerous criminal. But he's aware his partner can be a bit prickly, so the idea makes some amount of sense.

"Very well." he nods. "I'll be right back. Keep an eye on the cellar; it's one of the few places someone could be hiding. And take this until I return." He hands her his pistol, if she's willing to take it. "I hope you don't have to use it, but if someone fails to heed your commands and appears threatening... I'd prefer you have it to be safe."

This said, he starts out of the house to ask at the neighbor for a light.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:55 pm
by Philulhu

On the other side of the street, Alex could see the elderly neighbour. She had retreated to her own home and stood watching through her screen door. Fortescue the mangey terrier barked when he saw Alex and his owner called, ”Did you get him, Officer? He looked the most disreputable type!”

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:29 am
by Silver Priest
Glancing at Fortescue, Alex is reminded why he's more of a cat person.

"Almost," He tells the woman. "But we suspect he's hiding in the cellar, which is very dark. Would you happen to have a flashlight or some source of light? Even a candle could prove helpful."

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:38 am
by Philulhu
Fortescue growled until the old lady shushed him. ”Pay no attention to him, Detective. He just has a thing for men. Thinks they’re going to spirit me away from him.” She laughed coquettishly.

”Now follow me. I’m sure I’ve got some candles in here somewhere.” She pushed open the screen door and let Alex into her house. As she made her way down the hallway, she said, “How long have you been a detective? Do you work with that Mr Broderick? He seems such a nice man.”

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:28 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex laughs politely as he follows her in.

"This is a nice place you have here, ma'am. Do you have any family in the area?" He strongly suspects the poor woman is a shut in, the mangy dog her only companion.

"Oh, just after Wo-- the Great War. And no, though I've heard nothing but praise for his actions. I'm up in Arkham, I'm on loan to the department here presently."

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 pm
by Philulhu
Mary - that’s my daughter - lives about an hour away. She comes over every Sunday to take me to church. Pastor Hobby gets a bit sniffy if you miss a service and I’ll not give him the opportunity to lecture me about Satan, no thank you.” As she spoke she lead Alex to the kitchen where she started looking through drawers, then the larder.

She tutted, as if annoyed with herself. ”Now we had power cut a few weeks ago and I do believe I have forgotten to replace the candles I used.” She stood and thought for a moment. “I think my Ernie - that’s my late husband, God rest his soul - had a paraffin lamp in the tool shed. Would that work for you, Detective?”

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:53 am
by Silver Priest
"That's good to hear. And yes, actually that would work wonderfully if I could trouble you to find it."

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:49 am
by Philulhu
The old woman lead Alex out into the back garden where a brick-built tool shed could be seen halfway down the garden. Unlocking the door, he could see a heap of rusty and neglected tools that filled the floor. ”I think there’s one on the back shelf, but I’m not tall enough to reach it,” she said and she pointed out the shelf, about as far away from the door as possible, standing back so Alex could move inside.

OOC:   I think a DEX check would be appropriate here.  

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:21 pm
by Silver Priest
"Allow me, ma'am." Alex says, stepping in and doing his best to reach the lamp. If there's anything he can stand on he'll do that. Otherwise he'll have to rely on his tippy toes.

1d100

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
By balancing upon a stool amidst the detritus, Alex was just about able to reach across to a shelf on the far side. As the stool threatened to tip over, he was able to support himself with one hand upon the shelf while picking up the paraffin lamp with the other. It sloshed as he moved it. Surprisingly, the lamp still contained some fuel.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:07 am
by Silver Priest
Very glad he did not fall and make a fool of himself, Alex retrieves the lamp. "Here we go-- and look, it still has some fuel in it.Your Ernie must have valued preparation."

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am
by Philulhu
”He was. He was certainly blessed with patience,” she said. She looked about sadly. ”Ernie spent hours in here and it was always neat and tidy when he was alive. It needs a good sort out but my good for nothing son-in-law can never find the time. Too busy with his work and his baseball team.” She tutted and rolled her eyes.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:04 pm
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps after this case is over I can help you tidy up." Alex offers, and genuinely means it. Both because that's the kind of person he is and because since the events in France he has been trying to do everything he can to balance the scales,so to speak. Helping a lonely old woman would not do much on that front, but it was better than nothing when it came to penance.

"I should get back to my partner. Thank you once again for your cooperation, ma'am. I'll swing by once we've resolved the issue so you know everything is alright."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:05 am
by Philulhu
Pressed to accept a piece of apple pie and a jar of preserves, Alex returned over the road, where he found the house silent and still.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:27 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex enters the home and heads carefully for the library, recalling Ivy wished to investigate there further.
OOC:   cue Alex getting shot by a skittish Ivy :D  

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
The house was silent and of Ivy, there was no sign.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:41 am
by Silver Priest
If she's not in the library, Alex retraces his steps to the door to the cellar, beginning to feel dread. He did not believe Ms. Ripley was the type of woman to wander off, or to be so foolish as to head downstairs without him. Nor did he feel it was likely she had gone back upstairs.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:58 pm
by Philulhu
Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:23 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
In the dusty room with the bookcase, Alex found a writing desk which had had the dust sheet removed and a chair lying on the floor. A couple of the books from the shelves lay beside it. Across the timber floor and the threshold strip leading into the hallway were two distinct scratches, about a foot apart.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:59 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Was the sheet removed and chair tipped over when Alex was here earlier?  

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:55 am
by Philulhu
That sounds like a KNOW roll.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I believe KNOW is EDU? Always get that and idea mixed up heh.  

1d100

Alex envisions the entire scene in his head, his years of investigating paying off.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am
by Philulhu
That’s correct. KNOW = EDU x 5.

Alex could tell what had happened to Ivy as if he had been in the room. She must have taken some books off the shelves and been sat reading at the desk when someone grabbed her from behind. It looked as if the the chair upon which she sat had tipped backwards and then she had been dragged from the room, having the presence of mind to dig in her heels so they scratched the floor to show the direction in which she had been taken.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:10 pm
by Silver Priest
"No," Alex mutters, horrified that someone had taken Ivy. This was all his fault, and now she could be dead or sacrificed to some horrific monster--

No, stop. This isn't like that.

He forces himself to focus. Clearly there was indeed a criminal here, and he lacked a gun or the ability to fight back. Did they know he was here? He had been fairly quiet he thinks, but if they knew Ivy had been chances were they knew he had been here, at least. Suddenly he's very glad he hadn't called out for her.

First things first, he looked around for something he could use as a weapon. A heavy book or a candle stick would work in a pinch. Next, he tries to remember if he had seen a phone in this place. He needs to call in backup.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
There are plenty of heavy books but I’ll need a successful Luck roll for anything else.

Alex doesn’t remember seeing a phone here.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:29 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:10 am
by Philulhu
Casting a glance around the room, Alex spotted a poker among the fireside tools.

25% to hit. 1d8 damage (seems excessive, tbh!)

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I have a 70% in punch so if trouble comes around I may just use that. Feels nice to have a weapon though.  

Alex takes the poker, feeling slightly more secure. But only slightly.

He casts a longing glimpse towards the front door, desperately wanting to go across the street and call for further backup. It was literally what he was supposed to do in this situation. But Ivy had been abducted, violently, and could at this very moment be being murdered. He had to go look for her when every second counted. As for help, all he could hope was that the neighbor would call the police when she realized no one had come out of the house for awhile.

He heads off deeper into the house, in the direction which Ivy had pointed out.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:15 pm
by Philulhu
As Alex stepped over the threshold of the kitchen, he heard a muffled gunshot! Did that come from the direction of the cellar?!

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:45 pm
by Silver Priest
The sound of the gunshot leads Alex to disregard any desire for stealth. Ivy needed his help now. He rushes off towards the cellar, not even concerned for his personal safety( or the wisdom of confronting someone with a gun with a poker.)

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm
by Philulhu
Next to the cellar doorway, a pile of tin cans was strewn about. Down the steps, a single bulb illuminated the brick built cellar, in which a wooden crate and a broken cup littered the floor. There was the faint smell of coffee in the air…

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 am
by Silver Priest
Taking a deep breath, Alex starts down the stairs, holding his lamp in one hand and the poker in the other.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 am
by Philulhu
Based upon the direction that the coffee had spilt on the floor, Alex surmised that someone had taken Ivy through here in a hurry and they had knocked over the crate upon which the coffee cup had sat as they made their way to the rather ominous looking hole in the wall opposite the steps…

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 am
by Silver Priest
Alex doesn't hesitate. He knows every second counts, so he makes his way through the hole, hoping he's not too late to save Ivy.
OOC:   SP though is cursing the fact Alex is a Call of Cthulhu protagonist and thus can not just go for backup. ;)  

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:21 pm
by Philulhu
Stepping through the gap in the brick wall, Alex found himself in a brick-lined tunnel with piles of dust on the floor. By the light of his lantern he could see that the tunnel to his left shortly changed into a natural cavern, but that appeared to have collapsed some time ago.

To his right, the tunnel stretched away into the darkness. In the dust by his feet were a number of footprints with two lines cutting through where someone had dragged their heels…

Spot hidden, please.

”Providence Police. How can we help you, ma’am?”

“You saw a man pursuing two armed men into a house? How did the man appear to you?”

“Oh, that’ll be one of those Call of Cthulhu protagonists, ma’am! No, we don’t respond to those! Have you tried the asylum or the undertakers…?
;)

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:44 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Though he wants to continue to press onwards, Alex forces himself to remain calm and tries to carefully discern anything he can before rushing into danger.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 pm
by Philulhu
In the dust, alongside the heel tracks, were more footprints. Some were shoes or boots but others were more animal in nature.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:35 am
by Silver Priest
Alex is not sure what to make of animals apparently lurking around here. A person had to have taken Ivy. But the fact that there were big enough animals to leave behind footprints was concerning, to say the least.

He tries to follow the human footsteps forward deeper into the tunnel, wishing dearly he had kept his gun. For all he knew Ivy still had it-- but he had not heard anything since that one muffled gunshot, and was feeling very vulnerable at the moment.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:44 pm
by Philulhu
The footprints in the dust faded within a few yards, with only the twin tracks of (presumably) Ivy’s heels pointing in the direction in which she went.

The rough-hewn tunnel continued beyond for a further 60-70 yards. In the lantern light, Alex spotted a small mound in the centre of the passage, where the unmistakable white gleam of bone could be seen…

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 pm
by Silver Priest
His stomach dropping, the detective nevertheless continues forward, dreading what he'll find. He at least knows it's not Ivy, but he's also beginning to doubt the bone is animal either...

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:37 pm
by Philulhu
Moving closer, the bone turned out to be one of a number of bones, amidst a pile of ragged clothes. Disturbingly, some of the bones had iron fetters on them.

Spot hidden, please. I’d also take a History or Medicine roll (or similar) to tell you more about your discovery.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:03 pm
by Silver Priest
"My God," Alex whispers.

1d100

1d100

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 am
by Philulhu
Whatever happened here had obviously happened many years before. Fragments of clothing nearby still showed signs of the violence that had beset the victims - bloodstains and sharp rents.

Why the fetters were on the bones was beyond Alex though.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:43 pm
by Silver Priest
This looked like the work of some sort of serial perpetrator. The bones were very old, but whomever did it may still be lurking around. Someone had taken Ivy, after all. Alex struggles with indecision for a moment.

Just an honest OOC question here, would Alex going to get help break the scenario or ruin it from a meta perspective? I'm trying to keep it in theme but Alex has no idea anything unnatural is going on here and I'm thinking as a police officer he's more inclined to rush off for backup, especially being unarmed. That said if that wouldn't make sense for the rest of the scenario I'll justify him continuing on.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:03 am
by Philulhu
TLDR: Just carry on into the tunnel. What could go wrong?! 😏

More detailed answer: It wouldn’t break the scenario per se, as it could still work if you did go for back up although you would be a lot less involved (Police storming the tunnels rather than you investigating).

The problem is that if Alex goes for back up and we allow time for it to arrive before you continue, then I need to allow a certain amount of game time to elapse - probably an hour - which in PBP terms would take over a week (not least because Mr Handy & Bullfrog are on the other side of the world so we’re not posting in the same time zone) so you’d be effectively sat out of the game.

At present, I’ve got three threads that are roughly in the same in-game time zone. Working out when they intersect has been a tad tricky so adding an extra hour in there could be a challenge. Not insurmountable, but it would involve some downtime for yourself and a bit of additional work for me.

A compromise would be to go and get the neighbour to call for help but not wait until it arrives. That would push you back but not as much as if waited back up to arrive and went in with them.

Entirely your call 🙂

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:12 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.  
Alex is frozen in indecision, unsure what to do. Every part of him wants to continue to race down the tunnel,especially with Ivy in danger and having heard a gunshot. But he forces himself to focus; if someone had abducted his partner and now had access to his gun, there wasn't much he could hope to do by himself and unarmed. And if he got himself killed trying to save Ivy, chances were both of them would be dead.

Besides, he had only heard one gunshot. Perhaps their mysterious assailant had fired the gun in the air in an attempt to intimidate Ivy into cooperating. She could be rather stubborn. Based on these bodies, if he had to guess it was likely whomever had her would take their time in torturing her, which, while it did not exactly make him happy, did mean he had some time. He could go and call for help and come back at once. He didn't mind risking his life if he knew he had alerted others of the dangers.

With a final nod, he takes off in a hurried sprint for the home of his new neighbor friend. Hopefully she had a phone; going all the way to the station was not something he wanted to do at this critical juncture.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:08 pm
by Philulhu
The friendly neighbour was surprised but pleased to see Alex so soon after his previous visit but she was happy to let him use her phone.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:03 am
by Silver Priest
"Much appreciated," Alex tells the friendly neighbor. He gets on the phone and tells the operator to connect him with the police.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:27 am
by Philulhu
Alex was put through to the Police Department, where his call was answered by Officer Lyon, the young policeman who he had met earlier in the day.

”Good afternoon, Detective Reynolds. How are you getting along? Have you anything I can report to Captain Lawrence?” Lyon asked.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:29 am
by Silver Priest
"Unfortunately quite a lot, none of it good. Ms. Ripley and I paid a visit to the Winscott house. Upon arriving a neighbor informed us she recently saw a man wielding a rifle enter into the house. We decided to investigate further, but a brief search of the grounds found no sign of the man, nor any other residents. We went to investigate the cellar, but seeing there was little light I went across the street to ask a neighbor for a lantern we could use to light the way. When I returned I found signs of a struggle and no sign of Ms. Ripley. Then I heard a gunshot coming from down below.

"I investigated further, and found down in the basement part of the wall gave way to form a natural tunnel. There I found the most disturbing sight so far; piles of bones and tattered clothing that looked to be some years old, along with fetters. It looked as though the poor souls had been tortured. I don't know what's going on over at the Winscott house, but it isn't looking good, and I fear Ms. Ripley has been kidnapped
!"

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:27 pm
by Philulhu
”My word!” replied Officer Lyon, the shock obvious in his voice. ”I’ll send back up! You’d better get after Miss Ripley!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:11 pm
by Silver Priest
"Appreciated. I'm heading back in now. Tell the officers to be careful; I don't know entirely what's going on, but we have to assume we're facing someone who is armed and has at least one hostage."

Alex terminates the call and prepares to head back to the house.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
Alex crossed the street and returned to the Winscott house. It was as quiet as the grave…

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:35 am
by Silver Priest
Once he's back inside, the detective retraces his steps down into the cellar and cavern beyond. At least he knows help is coming now. Even if some horrible fate befell him and Ivy, justice would prevail.
OOC:   Happy to pause this thread if we ever need to to ensure the threads are roughly even.  

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:15 pm
by Philulhu
Ok. I won’t post anything tonight and see how everyone gets on. I’ve had a full-on day and I’m out tonight so not had chance to do my usual updates.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:22 am
by Philulhu
Moving down to the cellar, Alex entered the tunnel through the hole in the wall, and carried on into the tunnel beyond. The light from the lantern was unsteady, the light from the wick flickering unsteadily, causing eerie shadows to skitter across the walls.

He made it as far as the pile of bones unmolested, though still unnerved by their whiteness in the light of his lantern…

Listen roll, please.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:58 am
by Silver Priest
Alex creeps forward, doing his best to keep a careful watch for anything.

1d100

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:44 pm
by Philulhu
The tunnel was quiet as Alex moved forward, with just the occasional drip of water and squelch of his feet on wet moss on the floor to break the silence.

If he didn’t know better, Alex could’ve sworn he was the only person down here.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:52 pm
by Silver Priest
Heart pounding so fast he could hear it in his ears, Alex continues to move forward, trying to keep an eye out.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
As the light from his lantern illuminated some of the stalagmites in the tunnel, Alex thought he saw movement in the shadows. Holding up his land he realised that some kind of pale, hairless ape-creature was staring at him, its teeth bared in a rictus grin…

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:43 pm
by Silver Priest
"Po--Police." Alex announces in a tone he hopes is not too shaky. "Identify yourself, and stay where you are!"
OOC:   I assume it's time for a San roll?  

1d100

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:50 pm
by Philulhu
Alex was shocked at the creature’s appearance. What was it, some kind of albino ape? It hissed at him alarmingly, before turning and scampering away down the tunnel.

No SAN loss for a successful roll.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:54 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex chides himself. Of course the creature couldn't speak. He was having flashbacks to France, and the monster that had spoken to them there.

It must have been an ape of some sort. Could it have taken Ivy back to its lair? That did not explain the bones or chains he had found though, so he suspected something human still lurked down these tunnels.

He continues forward, slower and more cautious. Really wishing he had a gun.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:15 am
by Philulhu
The eerie ‘drip-drip’ of water falling did nothing to assuage Alex’s concerns as he made his way further into the tunnel. The floor was littered with stalagmites, some of which were just fledgling bumps but others were were two foot tall or more. The reflections from their water-flecked surfaces and the shadows they cast from his lantern-light just added to the tension…

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:59 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex keeps a close eye out for any further signs of the ape, and continues to advance forward. He hates himself for thinking it but wishes he would hear a scream from Ivy. At least then he'd know she was still alive.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:04 am
by Philulhu
The tunnel stretched onwards in front of Alex, the same stalagmites and shadows that the creature had hid behind proliferated as he made his way forward.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:47 pm
by Silver Priest
Every step forward feels like it could be his last, but Alex continues nonetheless.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:15 am
by Philulhu
From the tunnel ahead, Alex heard a animalistic scream…

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:37 pm
by Philulhu
… … followed by an altogether more human scream that seems torn from the depths of a person’s soul!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:10 pm
by Philulhu
What was that?! A pistol shot?!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:10 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex runs forward, concern erasing any desire for stealth.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:28 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a DEX check, please? And if you fail that, a Luck check. Ta!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:55 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Alex is glad at this moment that his fondness for doughnuts has been kept manageable. But really, knowing Ivy's in danger compels him to move fast, especially because he partly blames himself for her being in peril.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:18 am
by Philulhu
Though the floor was slippery and his feet threatened to slip at any moment, Alex managed to keep his balance as he ran down the tunnel. In the swaying lantern light there was a flash of white in the dark, a creature down on all fours! As he skidded to a halt, poker raised, Alex realised this wasn’t the same as the other one he had seen - this was altogether more human! In fact, it was a familiar human - beneath the grime and streaks of dirt was Ivy!

It was Ivy shouting at him and aiming his own gun directly at him!

I’ll take a Listen roll so Alex can tell what she shouted.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

"Ivy, it's me!" The detective says quickly, relief flooding through him. He wasn't too late! His excitement prevents him from registering whatever she said, however.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:47 am
by jp1885

“Oh thank the Lord!”

Muddy and bedraggled, Ivy staggers forward to embrace her rescuer. However, the few seconds it takes to reach him are enough to rebuild her brittle defences. She stops short and raps Alex in the shoulder.

“You certainly took your time,” she snaps; making a visible effort to control the terror and relief still evident in her wavering voice.

“Still, you are here now. Thank you. Being kidnapped by albino ape creatures, dragged through the pitch darkness, stalked by strange creatures and blindly having to find my way out was no picnic, I assure you.”

Perhaps this babbling is another way of dealing with her ordeal.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:20 pm
by Philulhu
From somewhere deep in the cave system a distant pistol shot could be heard.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:03 pm
by Silver Priest
As soon as he hears the shot Alex shifts into action.

"Ivy, listen to me. I've alerted the police to those bones down here-- that's why it took so long for me to return. I need you to retrace your steps and wait outside for them. It's safe there, and you can tell them where I am. I need to go ahead; someone sounds like they could still be in danger, or be a danger. Can I please have my gun back?"

"Also, did you say apes?"

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 pm
by jp1885

"I will not retreat and cower like an old maid," sniffs Ivy, handing Alex his pistol. "We shall face this peril together."

"As for the apes... strange, pale things. They grabbed me while I was studying those books in the dining room and carried me down here. I fired your pistol, which scared them off, leaving me to grope my way around."

"I heard other human voices earlier on - I assume they're the ones doing the shooting."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:05 pm
by Philulhu
Split the party. What could possibly go wrong… …?😈

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:55 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   It's worked so well so far!  
Alex frowns. "I've seen one of those creatures as well.It hissed at me before retreating further down the tunnel.At least they may be scared of firearms.

"I'd really rather you wait for help to arrive, you're unarmed. But if you insist on coming please at least take this." he hands his poker to her. "And stay behind me."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:39 am
by jp1885

Ivy agrees and takes the poker.

“There are some interesting carvings up ahead, made by pre-human hands. A most disconcerting concept,” she recalls.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:48 am
by Philulhu
With Alex’s lantern to light the way, Ivy was able to retrace her steps into the cavern she had visited before. The eerie light from the lichen illuminated the stone pillars, still wet in places with water running down their length, that ran from the floor to the ceiling, some hundred feet or so above their heads.

On the walls, interspersed with patches of the glowing lichen, were the carvings of which she had spoken.

A successful history or archeology roll here would be useful.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:44 pm
by Silver Priest
"Really? This sounds rather fascinating." Alex says. He would have scoffed at such things before, but he had seen enough to keep an open mind.

He moves forward-- lamp in one hand with his gun in the other-- looking for any signs of other people, and eventually encounters the drawings.

1d100

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:44 pm
by jp1885

Ivy keeps watch, poker at the ready, while Alex studies the carvings.

"We could single-handedly rewrite the history of the Earth by making this known," she whispers. "But perhaps there are more urgent matters to attend do..."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:13 am
by Philulhu
Alex could see that serpent motifs predominated in the carvings, some of which were enormous with white crescents engraved on the forehead. The designs were repeated, possibly having symbolic meaning, accompanied by abstract and geometric designs, zigzags, and spirals. Below some of the images appeared to be some form of script, consisting of curves, curls, and more spirals. Alex was certainly no expert but they struck him as being very, very old, possibly older than known human history itself…

As Ivy kept watch, she could size up the cavern. It extended for almost 30 yards; it was damp and stalactites and stalagmites, slick with water, predominated. The whole area was illuminated with glowing lichen and she could see the unnatural-looking fungi on the walls, floors and on the roof overhead.

She could see the short corridor that lead off to the right before its roof had caved in, and at the far end of the cavern, she could see a tunnel that lead further downwards…

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:37 am
by Silver Priest
"You're correct, Ivy. This is quite a find." Alex offers, uncertain how he feels about that. Having learned a bit of what was out there, he's unsure just how much man would truly want to know. But that was for academics to figure out, not him.

"How much further down did you get from here?"

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 am
by jp1885

“I went not much further than here,” Ivy replies. “I had no flashlight and figured it’d be prudent to find my way back, rather than grope my way downwards in the dark.”

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:54 pm
by Silver Priest
"Let's head on down, then." Alex says, with more confidence than he feels. He starts down the tunnel.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:34 pm
by Philulhu
The cavern narrowed to a tunnel but then expanded again slightly into a wider area with more images on the walls. The serpent motif and swirls were there, but there were also murals showing carvings of landscapes, studded with towers and other structures. Robed serpentine figures were depicted; some images showed them worshipping an enormous serpent with a crescent symbol on its forehead. Others depicted the serpent people and their cities being attacked by gigantic reptiles…

Can I have a Know roll, please.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:46 pm
by jp1885

“This is where it gets troubling,” says Ivy, remembering how she felt when the implications sank in the first time.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:06 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Simon
frowns, hard in contemplation.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
Silver Priest wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:06 pm
Simon
frowns, hard in contemplation.
Alex and Ivy stared at the batshit-crazy psychologist who had appeared from nowhere and was now studying the inscriptions on the wall. A shimmering hole appeared in the middle of the cavern and a young Asian man with perfectly coiffed hair peered out. Simon!” he hissed. “Get over here! You’ve wandered into the wrong investigation, you daft bugger!” ;)

Alex recognised the giant reptiles as various dinosaurs; predators attacking serpent people villages and gigantic pterodactyls carrying hapless serpent people away. The scenes evolved, showing the serpent people eventually abandoning their cities above ground to the reptiles and migrating underground, creating a new homeland under the earth.

Roll SAN please (0/1d3)

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:44 am
by Silver Priest

Hey our game contains time travel, it could happen. :D I KNEW that was going to happen sooner or later. Surprised it took this long, frankly!

"My God," Alex says, fascinated and horrified by the implications. Were these serpent people still around here underground? If so, they had lived eons longer than humanity, and were probably far more advanced then humans as well. It's a disturbing thought, but one he is able to put to the side for the moment, considering their far more pressing matters. "We should continue further down," He tells Ivy. "And try to find where the other voices came from."

1d100

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:01 am
by jp1885

Ivy nods. “Yes, let’s proceed. Keep a wary eye out for ape-men and God knows what else.”

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:42 am
by Philulhu
Pushing on further, the cavern narrowed into a tunnel, which in turn, entered into another at 90 degrees. The tunnel they were in was natural, but the one they had bisected looked to have been worked by human hands - or hands, at least - and stretched away into the darkness on both sides.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:20 am
by jp1885

“Left or right I suppose…” Ivy muses.

She pauses to listen in both directions.

[27] = 27
Listen 50 1d100: [ 27 ] = 27

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:33 am
by Philulhu
There was nothing to be heard from either direction.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:24 pm
by Silver Priest
"I suppose you're not in favor of splitting up," Alex says with a minor smile, before quickly averting his eyes at Ivy's (probable) glare.

"Let's go right." He suggests after a moment.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:10 am
by jp1885

Ivy’s glare does indeed possess a certain withering quality.

“Right it is,” she replies.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:33 pm
by Philulhu
The tunnel extended for a short while until it came to a sharp drop. Tied around a nearby stalagmite, a rope snaked over the edge.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:39 pm
by jp1885
Does the rope look new? (Or, more accurately, not old?)

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:26 pm
by Philulhu
It looks reasonably new.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:04 pm
by jp1885

"I suspect whoever's come before us has gone down there - I can't see apemen needing ropes," Ivy muses.

"We should either follow them down or try the other way."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:52 pm
by Silver Priest
"I hope the rope is sturdy." Alex says, not thrilled about going down there but reasoning this was clearly the way whomever came before had gone.

"I'll go first." Taking a deep breath, the detective grabs the robe and starts down the side, really praying that it doesn't break.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:04 pm
by jp1885

Hitching up her sodden skirt with as much dignity as possible, Ivy follows.

[16] = 16
Climb 20 1d100: [ 16 ] = 16

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:17 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a climb roll, please?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:16 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Heh, was afraid of that.  

1d100

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:40 pm
by Philulhu
Damage from the fall - 1d6

Ivy’s ability to climb a rope was only matched by Alex’s inability. He had barely let himself over the edge before he lost his grip and fell to the floor, feeling a shooting pain in his leg as he landed awkwardly.

The tunnel continued onwards from the bottom of the drop.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:12 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex lands roughly. "Ouch! Damn it..." He looks towards his companion, face blanching slightly. "Excuse. my language, Ms. Ripley." He rubs his leg. "But that hurt. I don't think it's broken though, and I should still be able to walk on it."

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:18 pm
by jp1885

"Given the circumstances, I think 'damn it' is putting it mildly." Ivy replies tartly.

"Hold the flashlight still and I'll take a look at your leg," she orders as she fusses about Alex's bruised limb.

[64] = 64
First aid 65 1d100: [ 64 ] = 64

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:37 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex does so, glad to have the wound looked at.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:08 pm
by Philulhu
Tearing strips of material from Alex’s trousers, Ivy was able to bind his ankle, at the cost of one of his legs being bare to the elements…

1 HP regained as the expense of any sartorial elegance and pride.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:16 am
by Silver Priest
"Thank you," Alex tells his partner. "I feel a lot better already. I should be able to walk without too much trouble." He rises to his feet, happy to have this confirmed.

"Ms. Ripley, you will one day make some lucky man very happy." He offers, reasoning that was what any unattached woman wants to hear. He himself would have gladly pursued a courtship of her but that would not have been fair to her, given his lack of interest in the fairer sex. "Shall we continue on, then?"

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:28 am
by jp1885

“Lucky man - hmph!” is Ivy’s sharp reply. “Yes, you press on while I wash the dishes!”

Snatching the lantern, she marches forward.

“Keep up!”

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:33 am
by Silver Priest
Alex gets the sinking feeling he said something wrong while trying to pay Ivy a compliment. He will never understand women. But at least he waited to offend her until after she treated his wound.

He slinks after her.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:24 am
by Philulhu
The tunnel stretched ahead of them for another 50 feet or so before it appeared to open into a bigger area, which glowed with the same unholy lichen-light as one of the previous caverns.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:34 am
by jp1885

Despite her earlier burst of prickliness, Ivy slows at the cavern entrance and motions Alex to proceed cautiously. Who knows what creatures lurk ahead?

Shielding the lantern so as not to herald their presence, she cautiously peers into the chamber.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:47 am
by Philulhu
Ok, need to pause while I determine what else is happening in the cavern.

It’s also a lantern, not a flashlight ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:54 am
by jp1885
Ah, missed that! Will edit posts above.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:35 am
by Philulhu
It shouldn’t matter unless you drop it, tbh. If you drop a torch there’s a chance the light will go out; if you drop a lantern there’s a chance the light will spread across the floor and up your leg… ;)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:33 am
by Philulhu
Emerging from the tunnel, Alex and Ivy entered into a wider tunnel than ran perpendicular to their own. To the right, the light from the lantern illuminated some old, long-abandoned workings but to their left, this new tunnel stretched away into the darkness, with fresh tunnels going off to both sides.

From somewhere in front of them a low moan, like the wind, could be heard.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:46 am
by jp1885

Ivy pauses, looking to Alex.

“I would assume our gunman would have taken the newer tunnel. Where they went after that; I suppose we’ll find out.”

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:45 pm
by Silver Priest
"That would strike me as a logical assumption," Alex nods. "Let's head down the newer tunnel, then."

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
Moving down the tunnel, Alex and Ivy could see a tunnel to their right, followed by a tunnel to the left. The tunnel to the right seemed to be the source of the moaning sound.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:36 am
by Silver Priest
Alex continues heading right, worried someone may be hurt-- and even more worried the sound is one of those ape creatures.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:58 am
by jp1885

Ivy does likewise.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:29 am
by Philulhu
A short passage opened into wide grotto beyond. There was none of the phosphorescing lichen in here but crystal deposits on the walls glittered in the light from the lantern Ivy held. The ceiling was high up above their heads but their attention was drawn to a bizarre twisted structure spread across the wall to their left ahead of them.

It was fashioned from interlaced bronze pipes and studded with crystals of various sizes and colors. The pipes pierced the wall in numerous places while the other ends ultimately end in spikes. Upon the spikes, there were a score of human heads, from which the moaning sound emerged, in a soft ululating chorus. The heads had been preserved, with sinuous runes carved into their leathery flesh. Their eyelids were closed, and their mouths and the muscles of their throats moved as they sang. Some of the heads belonged to men of European descent, while others belonged to men and women of African descent.

A rock formation sat 20 feet in front of it, carved into a sort of seat, although it didn’t look like it was designed for anyone of human size to sit upon…

SAN check, please (1/1d4)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:13 am
by jp1885

[14] = 14
SAN 70 1d100: [ 14 ] = 14
-1 SAN

“Good God!” exclaims Ivy.

While her subterranean tribulations have left her somewhat inured to the bizarre, this is something on a different plane.

The sheer horror of the whole construction is enough to send one mad, but if one thinks about it clearly, the use of Human heads indicates that the prehistoric serpent people are not so prehistoric after all…

She forces herself to inspect the heads. Do any of them look particularly fresh? Are there any contemporary hairstyles, jewellery etc.?

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:27 pm
by Philulhu
The preservation of the heads left the skin leathery. It was impossible for Ivy to determine how long they had been there.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:44 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

"Oh no," Alex says, because this gives him flashbacks to other events, Brophy and the horrible creature that fed on the wounded like chattel. It seemed as unnatural as them, and all but confirms that what they were dealing with was beyond the evils of man. This was no longer the work of a knowable evil but something much worse.

It's only a new purpose entering him that prevents him from giving into terror, and he looks at Ivy with steely resolve. She's handling this well as well, better than a lot of men the detective knew. But then, this was not her first rodeo either.

"These men are somehow still alive and suffering for who knows how long. I think we need to end their pain." He motions towards her poker. "It will be grisly work, but I think we need to put them out of their misery."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:13 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods, not having considered the fact that these heads were actually alive.

“Quite.”

She swings the poker at the nearest head.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:23 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex was going to suggest he do this unpleasant task, but before he can voice this Ivy swings. He respects her commitment, and stands ready if he needs to step in. There are after all a lot of heads.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:12 am
by Philulhu
There was a sharp crack as the poker broke the skull of the nearest head. It seemed to make no difference to the moaning noise emitted.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 am
by Silver Priest
"Is it possible the sound is not coming from them?" Alex asks, profoundly disturbed. "But no, their throats seem to be moving...

"I'm not sure we can do anything to stop them at present.Perhaps we should be on our way." Though if they survived this, the detective planned to come back and find away to silent their cacophony.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:26 am
by jp1885

Ivy steps back from her grisly vandalism.

“I suppose their throats could be used as valves? Reeds? Whatever one uses in organs to make different notes. Maybe they’re not alive after all; just reanimated in some way.”

She sighs, deeply perplexed.

“Yes, let’s move on.”

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:05 am
by Philulhu
Oops! I’ve realised that I’ve described the room from a different perspective than the one from which you approached. The organ was at the far end when you entered, not on the left. I’ll amend my original post (23 Oct @ 9.29) although it doesn’t materially affect your situation.

Where are Ivy and Alex heading next? They can return to the corridor from where they came or they notice a passage to the left of the organ.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 am
by jp1885
Seeing as we’re standing near the organ, shall we take the passage to the left?

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:03 pm
by Silver Priest

Sounds good to me.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:25 pm
by Philulhu
Turning into the tunnel, Alex and Ivy were immediately confronted with two blinding lights, shining straight in their eyes!

Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:00 pm
by jp1885

[92] = 92
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 92 ] = 92

Blinded by the lights, Ivy puts her hand up to shield her eyes. With the other hand she brandishes her poker menacingly.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Alex sees nothing either, but raises his gun. "Stay where you are, I'm armed!"

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:04 am
by Philulhu
"So are we, so unless you and your lady friend have a shotgun stashed away, you're out-gunned," came the snarled reply. Under the bright lights, Ivy and Alex could see the barrel of a shotgun, glinting menacingly in the light.

"Now, I don't see any reason we should start shooting, unless you want to change that. To start with, I'd like to know what you're doing in the caves under Joshua Winscott's basement, and if you have any idea where he's wandered off to."

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:59 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm a police detective," Alex says as calmly as he can, slowly moving the gun away to show he meant no harm. He wanted to deescalate this situation, especially because this man could kill them both, and still seemed capable of reason. "We were following up on a routine investigation and had to interview Mr.Winscott as part of that. Upon arriving we were alerted by a neighbor that someone with a rifle had entered the home. We investigated and eventually found our way down here. We've seen no sight of anyone human since we got here, including Mr. Winscott."

"I don't know who you are, but there are apes down here and they may be dangerous.You should head back up to the surface."

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 am
by jp1885

“My colleague is correct,” Ivy adds as she lowers her poker.

“For my part, I was captured by these ape creatures and dragged down here. Luckily i had borrowed a pistol and a shot was enough to scare them away. Until Detective Reynolds here found me, I was left stumbling around in the dark, so I’m in no mood to have shotguns pointed at me!”

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:53 am
by Philulhu
"It's all right, everyone," came a familiar voice. It was William, lowering his gun! "This is Jerry, Lawrence's brother. Jerry, these are two more of Lawrence's friends: Ivy Ripley and Detective Alex Reynolds. Funny running into you two here."

We’ll continue in this thread: Together Again