Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Post by Silver Priest »

"Unfortunately quite a lot, none of it good. Ms. Ripley and I paid a visit to the Winscott house. Upon arriving a neighbor informed us she recently saw a man wielding a rifle enter into the house. We decided to investigate further, but a brief search of the grounds found no sign of the man, nor any other residents. We went to investigate the cellar, but seeing there was little light I went across the street to ask a neighbor for a lantern we could use to light the way. When I returned I found signs of a struggle and no sign of Ms. Ripley. Then I heard a gunshot coming from down below.

"I investigated further, and found down in the basement part of the wall gave way to form a natural tunnel. There I found the most disturbing sight so far; piles of bones and tattered clothing that looked to be some years old, along with fetters. It looked as though the poor souls had been tortured. I don't know what's going on over at the Winscott house, but it isn't looking good, and I fear Ms. Ripley has been kidnapped
!"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”My word!” replied Officer Lyon, the shock obvious in his voice. ”I’ll send back up! You’d better get after Miss Ripley!
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Appreciated. I'm heading back in now. Tell the officers to be careful; I don't know entirely what's going on, but we have to assume we're facing someone who is armed and has at least one hostage."

Alex terminates the call and prepares to head back to the house.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex crossed the street and returned to the Winscott house. It was as quiet as the grave…
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Once he's back inside, the detective retraces his steps down into the cellar and cavern beyond. At least he knows help is coming now. Even if some horrible fate befell him and Ivy, justice would prevail.
OOC:   Happy to pause this thread if we ever need to to ensure the threads are roughly even.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ok. I won’t post anything tonight and see how everyone gets on. I’ve had a full-on day and I’m out tonight so not had chance to do my usual updates.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Moving down to the cellar, Alex entered the tunnel through the hole in the wall, and carried on into the tunnel beyond. The light from the lantern was unsteady, the light from the wick flickering unsteadily, causing eerie shadows to skitter across the walls.

He made it as far as the pile of bones unmolested, though still unnerved by their whiteness in the light of his lantern…

Listen roll, please.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex creeps forward, doing his best to keep a careful watch for anything.

1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The tunnel was quiet as Alex moved forward, with just the occasional drip of water and squelch of his feet on wet moss on the floor to break the silence.

If he didn’t know better, Alex could’ve sworn he was the only person down here.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Heart pounding so fast he could hear it in his ears, Alex continues to move forward, trying to keep an eye out.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As the light from his lantern illuminated some of the stalagmites in the tunnel, Alex thought he saw movement in the shadows. Holding up his land he realised that some kind of pale, hairless ape-creature was staring at him, its teeth bared in a rictus grin…
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Po--Police." Alex announces in a tone he hopes is not too shaky. "Identify yourself, and stay where you are!"
OOC:   I assume it's time for a San roll?  

1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex was shocked at the creature’s appearance. What was it, some kind of albino ape? It hissed at him alarmingly, before turning and scampering away down the tunnel.

No SAN loss for a successful roll.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex chides himself. Of course the creature couldn't speak. He was having flashbacks to France, and the monster that had spoken to them there.

It must have been an ape of some sort. Could it have taken Ivy back to its lair? That did not explain the bones or chains he had found though, so he suspected something human still lurked down these tunnels.

He continues forward, slower and more cautious. Really wishing he had a gun.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The eerie ‘drip-drip’ of water falling did nothing to assuage Alex’s concerns as he made his way further into the tunnel. The floor was littered with stalagmites, some of which were just fledgling bumps but others were were two foot tall or more. The reflections from their water-flecked surfaces and the shadows they cast from his lantern-light just added to the tension…
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex keeps a close eye out for any further signs of the ape, and continues to advance forward. He hates himself for thinking it but wishes he would hear a scream from Ivy. At least then he'd know she was still alive.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The tunnel stretched onwards in front of Alex, the same stalagmites and shadows that the creature had hid behind proliferated as he made his way forward.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Every step forward feels like it could be his last, but Alex continues nonetheless.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

From the tunnel ahead, Alex heard a animalistic scream…
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

… … followed by an altogether more human scream that seems torn from the depths of a person’s soul!

Return to “Servants of the Lake”