Ch.13a. All Unquiet on the Western Front (Alex, Lawrence, William)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.13a. All Unquiet on the Western Front (Alex, Lawrence, William)

Post by Philulhu »

More wires flicked out, probing the air around Lawrence and the motionless William. ”YOU ARE NOT OF THIS TIME!” intoned the black column of swirling wires. It drifted in the direction of the steps up to the surface, again making a scratching noise, akin to a snake sniffing the air.

”DEATH IS NEARBY! AND PAIN AND SUFFERING!” came the voice again. ”TAKE ME TO IT AND YOU MAY YET LIVE! I MAY EVEN… REWARD YOU… …” The wires parted so that the way to the exit was clear.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"What do you want with the death?" Alex questions, already fearing he knew the answer. This creature seemed to feed off suffering, and he'd find that in spades here on the battlefields of France. Who knew what offering that twisted sacrifice to it could do? It might make him infinitely more powerful, so much so that man could not stand against it. Yet if they refused... they would all die. Not just him, but his friends as well.

Indecision fills him. It was one thing to sacrifice himself, he had been prepared to do that with Brophy, giving him his body to spare his friends and get them home. But this was different. If he did this, he wouldn't just be sacrificing himself here.

Finally, he sighs, then gives a soft nod. The detective turns and starts slowly out of the crypt, reasoning that perhaps they can go slow enough for reinforcements to arrive. Perhaps, with more help, they could force the foul beast back to the hells from which it came before it gained whatever it sought in this place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

William continues to stare blankly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”IT… SUSTAINS ME…” came the cold, dead voice.

William jerked like a marionette being controlled by an amateur puppeteer. Legs moving spasmodically, he turned to face the doorway.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex continues to walk out of the crypt, looking around to see how many, if any, of the soldiers remained. Hopefully they would play along and not do anything foolish.

At least one of them is running away-- and the gunshots likely mean more are coming. But will it be enough?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Of the soldier who had run there was no sign but the Lance Jack and one other of his men had fallen back to the field of makeshift crosses that formed the hospital’s graveyard, where they knelt among the graves, rifles ready. From the frontline, parachute flares cast a nauseating green light across the landscape, which continued to resemble mottled and dimpled flesh.

As they reached the top of the steps and emerged into the open air, Mordiggian paused. The swirling column of wires turned slowly, as if orientating itself, until it faced the hospital. A dozen or so strands of wire extended from the column like a grasping hand pointing in the direction of the hospital. ”THERE…” hissed Mordiggian.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Like a puppet without strings, William walks wherever Mordiggian directs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

With the cowed silence of a terrified child, Lawrence leads the way to the hospital doors. He instinctually knew what he was doing was wrong, perhaps even evil, even if the thick cloud of delusion left him barely aware of what was really happening, but Lawrence could not disobey his father. The old man would be drinking deeply tonight.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mordiggian emitted a metallic hissing noise like wires being rubbed against each other as they approached the field hospital. Was that excitement? Anticipation? They didn’t know.

”WAIT HERE… I WILL FEED THEN YOU WILL GO HOME…” intoned Mordiggian, drifting off through the doors…
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William waits. It's not like he can do anything else.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sorry about that! :(
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

In the end, no miracle came. The cavalry did not arrive. Mordiggian finds the hospital and goes forward to feed. Alex knows that is likely to mean the deaths of many good men. He should stop it.

But what can he do? He didn't even have a gun. And interfering might mean the deaths of many more. So instead he waits, feeling powerless to stop the evil. He's never been more ashamed.His head down, he remains as silent--and motionless-- as William.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Lawrence sits in shameful silence on the ground, his knees held up to his chest; whatever his father was doing, it felt wrong to let him do it, but neither Lawrence nor his friends could hope to disobey his father. All he could do was wait for Pappy to finish drinking, and hope that his father would be satisfied...
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

They would remember the screams from the hospital as long as they lived. They couldn’t see the suffering soldiers, except for one hardy soul who tried to make a break for it. He had burst forth from the hospital entrance, running with all his might across the courtyard until half a dozen whip-like tendrils shot out, encircled him and dragged him back into the dark maw of the hospital entrance…

Thankfully, the screams soon stopped and the twisted wire form of Mordiggian emerged, blood dripping from his wires, one of which encircled the neck of Nurse Zenna. ”I WILL SAVOUR THIS ONE…” he intoned. ”AND NOW, FOR OUR BARGAIN…”

Mordiggian paused for a long time and it seemed to Alex, Lawrence and William that they may have been foolish to trust him, but eventually he spoke again. ”YOU ARE FREE TO RETURN TO YOUR OWN TIME… … PRAY WE DO NOT MEET AGAIN…”

The wires started to twist and writhe and the dark red landscape started to fade from view, replaced by the familiar sight of the offices of E.E. Saltonstall - William’s employer - they were home in Arkham once more!

_ _ _. _ _ _. _ _ _

And so ends chapter 13 - All Unquiet on the Western Front. Everyone survived, more or less, although some R&R will be required before Lawrence and William will be fit to do anything.

Thanks for playing, everyone. SP - you said you’d planned to retire but you’d be more than welcome to stay if you change your mind.

Mr H & Bullfrog - an adventure awaits in Arkham, if you’re willing to carry on?
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Spoiler:
I'd love to go on. Lawrence will probably be out of commission for a while thanks to his indefinite insanity, but I can make a temporary replacement. He's got no shortage of friends and family that could carry the torch for a while.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm also eager to continue. My insanity is temporary rather than indefinite, so I should be able to continue after a short rest.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The face of that running soldier will haunt Alex for the rest of his life, he is sure.

When they return to their time he almost cannot believe it. Somehow this feels like a punishment, as opposed to the damnation they all clearly deserved.

He is quiet for a moment, before he looks towards the others. "I need to go." He turns and heads for the door, turning at the last second. "Please do not contact me again." Then he is gone.

Despite this, I might change my mind and keep going if a way can be devised to get Alex interested or assigned to the next mystery. For now he probablly wants to avoid anything to do with the unnatural though, and try to suppress it. But if the case lands on his doorstep he'll be back.

I was tempted to ask jp1885 if I could play Ivy, but that's their girl and I don't feel I could do her justice. Do hope she eventually recovered though. :lol:

Great fun, and thanks for having me.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

I’ve been lurking for a while and have enjoyed seeing how this one ended (suitably grim).
If Ivy has recovered, I’d be happy to pick her up again (I didn’t want to barge back in at the end of this one).
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed it, even if the end was rather brutal! You’ve had close encounters with powerful beings before but I think Mordiggian is the most powerful to date. I was really surprised that Lawrence survived his SAN roll, tbh!

I have a scenario in mind for our next investigation (set in Lovecraft Country in the 1930s so no more jaunts through time and space for this one).

Bullfrog/Mr. Handy - Sufficient time will have elapsed for wounds to have healed but probably not for Lawrence’s stay in Arkham Sanitarium to come to an end, so happy for you (Bullfrog) to come up with a stand-in investigator. Perhaps someone who William has got to know while visiting Lawrence in the Sanitarium? Happy to hear who you’re thinking of playing next!

SilverPriest - I’d be more than happy to have Alex back, should you wish to continue. I’ll post the intro to the next investigation in the coming days and if it whets your appetite let me know.

JP - Ivy will be welcome to join us again. She’ll be fully healed, having recovered from the injuries sustained on the farm.

All - please do any skill checks for your characters and update your character sheets accordingly.

Our nexr investigation will commence shortly… :o
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. Were you by any chance maintaining a list of our checked skills?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Servants of the Lake”