Ch.11. Oakwood House (Alex, Lawrence, William)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Ch.11. Oakwood House (Alex, Lawrence, William)

Post by Bullfrog »

"Just shoot him! Shoot him now!" Lawrence practically screams at Detective Reynolds, equal parts horrified and infuriated by his hated enemy somehow being alive. Not waiting for the detective to acquiesce to his command and lacking a gun himself, Lawrence rushes the revived William Brophy with a singular purpose: to strike him hard enough to knock him out of the circle of the symbol.
Fist/Punch 60%,0
Damage (if applicable) 1d3+1d4,1 + 2
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Dufresne/Brophy Punch - 0
Dufresne/Brophy brought her/his arm up sharply and blocked Lawrence’s swing. ”Too late!” she/he snapped, and stepped backwards through the shimmering maw, disappearing into the darkness beyond, the wide-eyed terror on Miss Dufresne’s face the last thing Lawrence saw before the blackness claimed them...

As if the strings of a marionette were cut, the guests arranged around the pattern on the floor slumped. One swayed, then fell in a faint and the black maw flickered, like a bulb whose power was fading...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do we follow?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex attempts to rush forward into the maw, reasoning that Brophy had a hostage and he could not in good conscience allow him to escape with her..
OOC:   Hate to ask this but I imagine Alex at least needs to make a san check?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William hurries after Alex.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,If you are fo;;owing Brophy, there will be. I’ll sort that after we find out what Lawrence is doing.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Lawrence, unwilling to try and fully place his body into something he does not understand in any way, shape, or form, tries to gradually push his hand inside of the maw as a way of testing the waters before taking the plunge.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Lawrence reached out his hand and pushed at the black maw that hung in the air. There was a slight resistance but he pushed on through and he saw his hand, then his forearm disappear from view. His arm felt ice cold, colder even than plunging his arm into a snowdrift to rescue snow-trapped animals back on the farm, and swirling frost particles started to form on his sleeve.

One of the guests stood facing him screamed and dropped to the floor. The maw twisted and visibly shrank and Lawrence knew it was now or never if he was to follow his friends.
Lawrence,SAN check, please.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Wherever William, Alex, and Brophy had gone, Lawrence would be joining them. He steps forth into the maw, mentally preparing himself for what would be waiting within it.
SAN 68,0
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

All,1 SAN Loss for following Brophy. Can I have a Luck roll from everyone?
As William, Alex and then Lawrence disappeared from view, Emily opened her mouth and screamed. Shocked into action, the nurses and Dr Roy rushed to help their guests, whose states ranged from dribbling catatonia to outright hysterics.

As more nursing staff ran into the room, Dr Roy barked brisk instructions to return the guests to their room, before quickly walking back to his office. Picking up the phone, he asked the operator to put him through to the Arkham Police Department. When the call was connected and he heard a voice at the other end of the line, he swallowed and said as calmly as he could, ”This is Dr Roy of Oakwood House. I don’t really know how to explain this, but your Detective Reynolds has just disappeared before my very eyes......”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

OOC Luck 65,0
OOC,I think it goes without saying, but it look like things are about to get [i]very[/i] interesting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William is (barely) lucky.
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) going through the maw: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   computer crashed and am trying to fix it please forgive the sparse post.  
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

OOC,Due to some personal business I may not be able to post as frequently as I would like, though I will try to post at least daily.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The journey seemed to feel both instantaneous and as if time itself might never end. Strength-sucking cold gnawed at the marrow in their bones, causing them to contort in agony. They felt themselves emerge from whatever state they were in - although emerge couldn’t quite describe the suddenness of the change - to hear the sound of wood on wood, a muttered female curse and the banging of a door, all in the most pitch darkness with not the slightest chink of light.

Both Lawrence and William were fortunate enough to keep their footing, although Lawrence had felt Dufresne/Brophy break free in those first disorienting moments. Alex had been less fortunate, as he emerged he tripped on something in the darkness and went down with a clatter!

Breaking the unceasing gloom, there was the sound of steps, then a door latch, and then candlelight flickered around a door as it was pushed open. ”Who’s there?” called out a stern voice. “I’ve sent for the Constable, so give yourself up!” Accompanying the call was the worrying sound of dual hammers being cocked... ...
OOC,No problem- thanks for letting me know. Alex - take one point of damage as a result of your mishap.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William slowly raises his hands. "The police are already here, sir," he says, indicating Alex with a glance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Alex Reynolds, detective with the Arkham police," Alex replies, rising to his feet and struggling for his badge. "We are in the midst of pursuing a fugitive from justice."
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Lawrence immediately raises his hands into the air, not wanting to get blasted full of holes. One question resounded through his mind:
"Where the hell are we?
The farmer asks, a bit shaken from his "amazing" journey through god-knows-where.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The door continued to swing open and the candlelight caused the shadow of the gun to stretch ominously across the panelled wall opposite, as if searching them out. Then there a ‘click’ and the lights in the room came on.

Blinking against the sudden brightness, the sight that greeted them may have been comical, were it not for the long, double-barrelled shotgun pointing in their direction. Holding it was an elderly man, dressed in a nightshirt with a crown of wispy white hair standing up in all directions. They stared at each other for a moment and then a young woman bustled in the room. With long blonde hair tied back and a dressing gown over pyjamas, she looked like she’d just got out of bed.

”What are you doing up, Dad?” she said to the old man. “You should be in bed. Come along...” She reached out for the shotgun and at that point realised they were not alone. She looked up, not frightened, or wary, just slightly exasperated if anything.

“I thought you had all finished for the night?” she said.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Well, we haven't, so it would be much appreciated if you could give us a few more minutes." Lawrence answers, making an effort to look like he has any idea of what he's talking about. He takes a subtle glance around the room, still wondering where he and his comrades have been sent by that strange maw.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”