Ch.11. Fraser Mansion (Alex)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Ch.11. Fraser Mansion (Alex)

Post by Philulhu »

Thursday March 13th, 1930 9.45am.
Fraser Mansion, Arkham, Mass.

Alex made his was back to the station to pick up a car to take him out to the Fraser Mansion. The drive out took no more than a few minutes - he could have walked but the weather looked as if it might turn - and as he approached the driveway, he saw Trooper Dan de Vries sat in a patrol car, adjacent to the entrance to the estate.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Ch.11. Fraser Mansion (Alex)

Post by Silver Priest »

"Dan," Alex acknowledged the man with a nod. "Everything in order here-- no further signs of anything suspicious or unusual?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Hey, Alex,” replied Dan.

“The Captain’s left for home. He’s been here all night. Fraser’s up at the house. I saw him this morning when I reported for duty - he didn’t look good...”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"It makes sense. Knowing someone is still out there and trying to murder you would wear on any man," Alex responds.

"Do you want some company keeping watch? If not, I might head up to the house-- perhaps it will ease Mr. Fraser's mind if he has an officer around him with the captain going home."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Feel free to head on up,” said Dan. “And if you find someone who fancies making a coffee for a cold cop sat out here in the cold, all the better!” He grinned and hooked his thumb in the direction of the house.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'll send a cup down your way," Alex smirks, before heading into the house.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex was met at the door by a young maid, who invited him into the house. In the hallway, he noticed a strong anti-septic smell and couldn’t help but glance in the direction of the cabinet where the butler had lost his life the previous day. The cabinet was still there, but it had obviously been cleaned, with the doors and contents removed.

The maid said that Mr Fraser was still getting ready. She showed Alex into the study and asked him to wait until Mr Fraser came downstairs.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thank you," Alex tells the maid. "Would you mind getting someone to take a coffee out to Trooper de Vries?"

He waits patiently, resisting the urge to snoop. His gut told him nothing here would be relevant to the investigation. And Mr. Fraser did not seem the type to appreciate someone looking around his study without his permission.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The room was warm and the chair in which Alex was sat was well padded and comfortable. Even with the coffee - which he had to admit was fine indeed - it was taking a bit of effort to stay awake. Mr Fraser was taking his time to make an appearance and the slow metronomic ticking of the clock over the fireplace just emphasised the slow passing of time.

Alex glanced around the study. Floor to ceiling bookshelves lined the room. Where he sat, comfortable chairs surrounded a low coffee table. At the other end of the study, there was a grand desk, with Fraser’s writing papers and correspondence.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

After his eyes close for the third time, Alex decided he needs to keep himself occupied. He examines the bookshelves for anything interesting, wondering what his host's tastes tend to.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex studied the shelves and marvelled at the range of topics the books covered. History, geography, political discourse, science, flora and fauna were all covered extensively. A large map of Arkham drew the detective’s eye and he moved closer to take a look. He studied it for a minute or two then looked around, realising that he was stood near Fraser’s desk, upon which a pile of letters in his in-tray awaited his attention.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex's curiosity-- and caution-- gets the best of him. He examines the letters, looking for any that might bear the same handwriting as the ill fated prior letter.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The pile of letters looks to be mainly formal correspondence, with one or two personal letters mixed in. At the bottom, was a very crumpled-looking envelope, simply addressed to “Father”.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex picks up the letter. His son being kidnapped and killed and now Fraser himself being threatened was to big of a coincidence. Perhaps a clue could be found in the letter.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex smoothed out the letter on the surface of the desk and began to read.

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Now this was interesting. Alex makes a note to talk to the rest of the investigators, get more of the full story of what went on with this Brophy. Maybe he had a hand in all this, or a wife or daughter of his.

Still, first the son, now the father? Someone really hated the Frasers.Both of them being imperiled within such a short timeframe suggested a coordinated vendetta, at least to Alex. He'd have to ask Mr. Fraser a few delicate questions to see if he knew anything.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

There was a cough from the corner of the room. Standing in the doorway of what appeared to be a concealed door, was Gerald Fraser.

”Is there something I can help you with, Detective?! Or do you need more time to read through my private correspondence?!” he said through gritted teeth...
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex puts the note down quickly, suitably chastened. "Forgive me Mr. Fraser. I didn't mean to snoop-- but given a letter was already used as a weapon to target you, I wanted to be sure none of these were likely to.

"Forgive me, but I hope you are doing as well as you can be, under the circumstances. If it's alright with you, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your son."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Fraser harrumphed and walked around the desk, picking up the note and sizing up the detective. Captain Keats said I need to work with the Police to resolve this but don’t be thinking that I won’t speak to him about you going through my desk when I was out of the room,” he said testily.

He walked back around his desk and sat down. “Now what do you want to know?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'm sorry again, Sir. If you like I can speak with Captain Keats now and request a transfer if you no longer feel comfortable with me guarding you."

Alex makes a note that Fraser was as difficult as the others had said.

"I wanted to ask you if you had any information about this...," He looks down at the note again, "Brophy your son had mentioned.I was just thinking that both your son and you being attacked in the same time period seems to be more than a coincidence.

"Our research so far leads us to think that the individual who sent the letter to you was a younger woman of poor education, perhaps a nurse or a maid. Can you recall anyone like that who may wish you harm, sir?"

Return to “Servants of the Lake”