Page 1 of 1

Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
Wednesday March 12th, 1930 11.00am.
Fraser Mansion, Arkham, Mass.

Gerald Fraser’s home was a mile or so outside of Arkham, a big, white-painted, colonial-era house located on a hillside amid terraced gardens. A car had picked up Lawrence, Thomas and William, bringing them up to the long drive to the front of the house, where a butler let them in and bade them take a seat in the large entrance hall until Mr Fraser was ready to see them.

A sharp-faced woman sat on the opposite side of the hall, steadfastly avoiding their gaze and ignoring any attempt to make conversation. The clock in hall chimed 11.00am, and then 11.15am, and still they were kept waiting. It was only as the clock started to chime 11.30am that the door to Fraser’s study opened and Captain Keats emerged, accompanying a visibly upset couple in their middling years.

It was clear to the three men that these were Howard’s mother and father, as he shared their colouring and the familiarity in looks with his father was striking. He was doing his best to console his wife as she sobbed heavily, and they paid no attention to the three men as they passed.

Captain Keats showed them off the premises then turned and indicated that they should make their way into study. The women also rose and headed in, causing brief consternation as everyone crowded the doorway while trying not to get in each other’s way.

In the study, Fraser Snr. stood waiting. His mood did not look encouraging. He looked to the women as she took a seat at a small writing desk with a ledger and ink pens and when she was settled and Keats had closed the door, he turned to the three men and snapped, “Well?! Where’s my boy?! What have you got to say for youselves?!”

Re: Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, sir," says William. "We located him in Louisiana, where he was being held by kidnappers. We set him free and escaped with him, but the kidnappers gave chase. Your son died saving me from a burning truck. I have the burns to prove it." He shows his scars. "There was nothing left of him we could bring back, but we were able to recover a few personal items. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. The man Brophy was responsible for what happened to your son, and he is dead too."

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:06 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence soberly nodded in agreement with William's recounting of events; he'd been dreading this moment since his departure from Louisiana, and it was an even worse experience than he imagined.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:18 pm
by Philulhu
”Is this some kind of sick joke?!” bellowed Fraser Snr. “I sent you to find my son and you’re telling me he’s dead?! I don’t want trinkets - I want him back!” He was beetroot red, with flecks of sputum at the corner of his mouth. Keats put a calming hand on his arm, but Fraser just shook him off, taking an intimidating step forward.

”I’ve paid you good money... ...” He looked across at the woman, and clicked his fingers. Miss Ripley!” he snapped. “How much have I given these godforsaken reprobates?!”
OOC,JP - you’re up!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 pm
by jp1885

If Mr. Fraser's demeanor is boiling over with fiery rage, the piercing gaze of his secretary Ivy Ripley is in ice-cold contrast.

"Two-hundred and seventy-five dollars all told Mr. Fraser," she replies tartly, glaring at the gentlemen as if she held them personally responsible for all her woes.

"Two-hundred up front and seventy-five for expenses," she continues, turning to her employer; clearly annoyed at him snapping his fingers at her as if she were a waiter.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
Fraser glared in return. ”Two hundred and seventy-five dollars and all I have to show for it is you sorry sons of b... ... ... telling me my son is dead!” he shouted, turning his attention back to the three men. “What the hell have you got to say for yourselves?!”

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll let your son do the talking for us," says William. With nothing left to lose at this point, he holds out the letter James had written to his father. "This letter is one of the things we recovered. He addressed it to you. I don't know what's in it; it's still sealed."

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:51 am
by Philulhu
Fraser Snr. angrily snatched the letter from William and stepped back to read it. After a moment, his face drained of colour and he physically staggered, holding onto his desk to prevent himself from falling. Keats was quickly by his side and helped him to a chair, before pouring him a brandy from a nearby decanter.

After a minute to compose himself, Fraser said, ”It seems I owe you an apology.” His voice was broken, his previous vigour gone. He looked at the letter he held in a tremulous hand. “James states...”

He was abruptly cut off by a screech from the hallway, with the sound of a heavy fall, accompanied by the noise of breaking glass...

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 am
by jp1885

Ivy has never been one to sit behind a desk when action needs to be taken and so, with a curt ‘excuse me’, she casts propriety aside, grabs her handbag and heads into the hallway.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:47 pm
by Bullfrog
"What was that?" Lawrence asks in confusion, starting to get up out of his chair as he turns to look towards the hallway. He would have loved to know what that letter said, but whatever happened in the hallway seemed to be a more pressing matter at the moment.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy was first through the door. On the opposite side of the entrance hall, Fraser’s butler lay face-down, his head and neck buried into a glass-fronted cabinet. Blood dripped down the front of the cabinet, pooling on the wooden floor beneath. As Lawrence stepped up beside her, the butler shuddered once, and then lay still...
OOC,SAN loss rolls, please.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 pm
by jp1885
SAN 75 pass,[dice]0[/dice]
"Oh my good lord!" exclaims Ivy. Despite this, however, her nerve holds and she rushes over to the cabinet to see if anything can be done for the poor man.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

William follows Ivy through the door and also rushes to the butler's side. After everything he has seen, this doesn't affect him much.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the butler: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:50 am
by Bullfrog
SAN 68,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence is taken aback by the sight of the dead man, but remains calm nonetheless.
"Mr. Fraser! Captain Keats! He calls out, "I think somebody's been killed!"

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:49 am
by Philulhu
Jacob! cried Fraser from the doorway. “My God...!”

Keats stepped across him, putting a hand on his arm as he did so, to block the view. “An ambulance, please Gerald, he said firmly, as much to get him occupied and out of the way. It looked very much as if the butler had breathed his last.

A visibly shaken Fraser Snr. staggered off in the direction of the telephone while Captain Keats studied the scene. He glanced at Lawrence. “‘Killed’, you said. What makes you think he has been killed?”

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

William tries to do what he can for the butler, hoping it's not too late.
OOC,First Aid roll (50% skill) trying to help the butler: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:16 am
by Bullfrog
"I don't know if he's dead, that's just what I thought when I saw him stop moving." Lawrence replies, watching with concern as William tries his best to save the butler.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:07 am
by Philulhu
William could see that there was no helping Jacob. The butler was still, with no sign of life, his throat cut open by the glass in the cabinet door.

To Lawrence, Keats said, ”Yes, but you said he had been killed, which to my mind means he died as the result of actions of someone else. A homicide, instead of a suicide or an accidental death. Why would anyone want to kill Mr Fraser’s butler?”
OOC,William (and anyone else taking a closer look at the body) - Spot Hidden, please.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 am
by jp1885

"A burglar perhaps?" suggests Ivy. "Disturbed in the act?"
Spot hidden 65 pass,[dice]0[/dice]
She is about to elaborate on her theory when something catches her eye.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am
by Philulhu
Ivy,The flesh around the wound in Jacob’s neck is ripped and torn.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:41 pm
by jp1885

Ivy points to the poor Jacob’s neck with a pencil.

“Look at how ripped and torn the neck wound is. I’m no expert, but I’d say this was certainly no accident. We need to call the police, but in the meantime, has anything been taken I wonder?”

She peers over the corpse and tries to recall what was in the cabinet.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
As evidenced by the broken china around the cabinet, it had held some ornate plates and bowls, most of which had been broken when Jacob fell into the it.

Keats knelt next to the body to look closer at the wounds that Ivy had described. He shook his head and stood again. ”I think I’d better get one of my men up here,” he said, and he headed off to the study to make a phone call.

In the distance, the wailing ambulance siren could be heard approaching from the direction of Arkham town.
OOC,Anyone want to do anything before the Keat’s summons his detective?

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"The intruder was very brazen, to break in and kill in broad daylight," says William. "Whoever it was probably fled but could still be in the house somewhere. We should all stick together until the detective arrives."
OOC,There's nothing more I can think of to do.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:03 am
by Bullfrog
"Do you suppose anyone could have seen the intruder as they came and went?" Lawrence contemplates, waiting for the arrival of the detective. A professional could really shed some light on this terrible situation, or so he hoped.
OOC,I'm ready to move on, myself.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:02 am
by jp1885
OOC,Ready to move on.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:48 am
by Philulhu
Wednesday March 12th, 1930 12.15pm.
Fraser Mansion, Arkham, Mass.

The friends and Ivy were ushered into the library by Captain Keats who rang the station to summon on of his detectives. Shortly after the ambulance crew arrived, there was a knock at the door, and Keats went out into the hall, where he could be heard talking to whoever had arrived.

He returned with a clean-cut young man in tow, who he introduced as Detective Reynolds. ”The ambulance crew have checked and there are no signs of life,” said Keats. “I’ve asked them to hold off removing the body until Detective Reynolds has had an opportunity to start his investigation.”

Behind the desk, Fraser Snr. sat drinking the latest of a number of brandies...

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"What can we do to help?" asks William.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 am
by Silver Priest

Detective Alexander Reynolds is a conservatively dressed man of around 30. He somberly looks at the scene, taking his hat off as he enters the building and sees the grizzly site.

"I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you all, but I'm afraid that would be a lie under the circumstances." To William he responds, "I'll need names and information from all of you as to whom the victim was and everything you know concerning his demise. For now however, I need to examine the body." He kneels down and looks it over.
Philulhu,Hope I was supposed to post, I assumed this was a good time to introduce my character. What roll should I make for examining the body? With my 5 in medicine, I may be looking more at a Chief Wiggum than a Columbo. :cry:

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:43 am
by jp1885

When questioned, Ivy will recount how she was with the others when she heard a screech and a crash from the hallway, followed by how she found the butler lying head-first in the display cabinet with his throat torn.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:02 pm
by Philulhu
Silver Priest,Yes, that was your cue :) Spot Hidden would seem appropriate in the circumstances.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:50 pm
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 75%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Oh dear... ... :o
With everyone’s eyes on him Alexander found himself at a complete blank.

After a moment, Captain Keats said, ”Detective? What can you tell me? A burglary or not?”

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

William gives his name and tells the detective what little he knows.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:16 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence watches on in anticipation, awaiting the detective's answer.

Once asked, he gives Alexander his name and tells what he saw, which isn't any more information than what the others have said.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I can't push rolls in this, right?  
Alex looks over the body intently for a moment, before shaking his head in frustration.

"I'm afraid it's hard to say. Our killer was clever-- there's very little evidence left behind that I can see, which suggests this was the work of a methodical mind rather than a mere crime of passion." He looks to Fraser. "You're the owner of the house, sir? Do you know if anything is missing?"

"I'll have to take a look around the house, see if any of the doors or windows suggest forced entry."

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,No, sorry. That’s 7th edition rules only.
Fortified with another brandy, Fraser Snr. came out, went up the stairs and returned a few minutes later. “I can’t see anything missing or out of order,” he said.

He looked around the hall. “There doesn’t appear to be anything missing here, either,” he continued. “And Jacob always locked the door after anyone came in or went out. We had some petty thieves try to take advantage of an unlocked door a few years ago and he was fastidious about it ever since.” Keats confirmed that the door had been locked and the key was on the inside when he had gone to let in the ambulance men, who were stood by the doorway.

“Can we get on?” one of them asked. “We need to get the body to the morgue and then back on duty.”

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 am
by Silver Priest
If no one else wanted to examine the body(Alex knowing on some extent he had done a subpar job) He nods to the paramedics.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is there a chance the killer could still be in the house?" asks William. "If he has any sense, he'll be long gone, but not everyone does, and he might not have been able to slip away."

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:54 am
by Silver Priest
"I will do a thorough examination of the premises," Detective Reynolds says. "In the meantime you should all stay together. If you wonder off and the killer is still here you could be in grave danger.

He starts to go through the first floor rooms, gun drawn.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 am
by Philulhu
It didn’t take Alex long to go through the house. As Fraser Snr. had said, there didn’t appear to be anything out of place and any windows and doors he tried were locked.

As he checked the door in the kitchen, one do the ambulance men approached him. “We found something when we moved the body. You might want to take a look.” He lead Alex back through to the hall, where Jacob now lay face up upon the rug adjacent to the cabinet. The ambulance man knelt next to the body and pointed to a blood-stained envelope that had previously been obscured.

“He also appears to have something in his hand, but I didn’t want to move that until you’d seen it.” Alex could see something tightly gripped in Jacob’s right hand. It looked like a piece of cloth...

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 am
by Silver Priest
Grateful for the man, even if it exposed his own carelessness, Alex goes back and inspects the body once again.

"You did the right thing," He says, as he opens the envelope and scans its contents. After he's read it he will also examine the cloth.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:02 am
by Philulhu
The envelope was addressed to Gerald Fraser but was empty. The cloth, which Alex had to pry from Jacob’s hand, bore a faded symbol that looked as if it had been painted with some green-ish ink, some of which looked like it had rubbed off onto the butler’s hand.
Alex,POW roll, please.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am
by Silver Priest
POW 15*5=75,[dice]0[/dice] Oh for the love of...

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:50 am
by Philulhu
Alex,[b]Alex[/b] pulled the cloth free from [b]Jacob’s[/b] hand and as he did so he felt a black wave of melancholy enveloping him, such as he had felt in some of his darkest days in the trenches in the Great War. His knees buckled and the room seemed to tilt. He felt a strong hand grip his arm and heard a voice saying, [color=#4000BF]”Are you alright?!”[/color]

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:50 pm
by Silver Priest
"Y--yes." Alex nods, shakily regaining his footing. Tears are in his eyes, and he's a bit shocked how much this is affecting him. "I'm alright. I suppose the murder was more grizzly than I was expecting. I'll be alright, though, thank you."

He still looks rather unsettled, however.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
With his spare hand, the ambulance man clicked his fingers and his colleague ran to get Alex a chair from the study. Helping the detective take a seat, the ambulance man told him to breathe deeply, keeping his head low.

As the others came into the hall to make sure he was OK, Alex looked at the cloth in his hand. It was plain, with a strange symbol painted upon it. He could have sworn it was a vaguely luminescent green when he picked it up but now it was more grey-green in colour, with some faded numbers underneath...
The cloth (temporarily hidden),[img]https://i.postimg.cc/15hX5DdR/D270-D787-6-A48-465-F-A5-E8-0-C2809-C63265.jpg[/img]

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:23 am
by Bullfrog
"What's going on in here? Are you alright?" Lawrence asks. His gaze shifts towards the odd little symbol on the piece of cloth, which he finds to be quite bizarre.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Are the numbers legible?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:26 am
by Silver Priest
"I'll be alright," Alex insists, still not certain why this case had affected him so strongly. He examines the cloth, but really he's staring at it almost blankly, still feeling somewhat out of sorts.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 am
by jp1885

Ivy’s disdainful sniff amply indicates her opinion of the bungling detective, but she is still concerned when he staggers.

“Are you sure you’re well? What happened?”

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,Sat on a chair in the middle of the hall, [b]Alex[/b] could see everyone looking at him. He felt like a failure because he couldn’t tell them what had happened to [b]Jacob[/b]. For Christ’s sake, even [b]Captain Keats[/b] was looking at him strangely, as if planning to dismiss him for his abject failure to solve the case! Perhaps it would be better if he wasn’t here...
Neither Lawrence nor William could see the numbers clearly as Alex was holding onto the cloth but it looked as if it was the number ‘3235’.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm
by Silver Priest
He could see their looks, especially on the secretary. They were judging him, they knew he had failed. He had fallen apart under pressure. He'd be the laugh of the department after this.

His stoic facade falls, and he feels genuine distress. So he gets to his feet, still holding onto the cloth.

"I need to-- need to go. I'm sorry." He begins to head towards the door, intent on escape, rational thought seeming to have fled him.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:18 pm
by jp1885

While Ivy might be prickly and judgemental, she also hates to see a person in obvious distress. With the minimum of fuss she moves to intercept Alex as he rushes out.

"Come now, enough of that," she says in a no-nonsense fashion. "Take a seat while I get a pot of coffee on the go."

She turns to the others.

"Stop lollygagging the lot of you!" she snaps.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:43 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,POW roll, please.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 am
by Silver Priest
Pow 75,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 pm
by Philulhu
Alex turned the key in the lock, pulled the door open and staggered out into the fresh air. He had gone just a few steps before his head started to clear and the feeling of dread began to pass.

He found himself stood outside the house, wondering what had happened to him, with the cloth still gripped tightly in his hand. From the doorway, the ambulance men watched him warily...

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 pm
by Silver Priest
Blinking in confusion, the detective offers a hopefully casual nod at the ambulance men before returning to the house.

"I'm... sorry. I don't rightly know what came over me there. I'm a trained professional, but something about this scene got to me." He bows his head in shame and embarrassment. "I would appreciate that coffee, ma'am."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:35 pm
by Bullfrog
"Death's never an easy thing to deal with, or at least that's what I think." Lawrence calmly reassures, trying his best to keep a cool head in such a horrible situation.
"Do you think I could have a look at that piece of cloth?" he inquires; while he didn't recognize the symbol, he certainly wanted to get a better look at the numbers and the cloth itself.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:34 am
by Silver Priest
Though it was police evidence, something in Alex trusts the man, he nods and hands it over. "Have you see it before?"

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I thought I saw the number 3235," says William, peering at the cloth, "but I don't know what it means. Is the ink still wet? Depending on what it's made of, it might have affected you. Be careful not to touch it."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:33 am
by Bullfrog
"I've seen a lot of odd things, but that symbol is not among them.
Lawrence says, almost taking the piece of cloth, but William's warning not to touch it stops him in his tracks.
"Do you think the ink could be poison or something, William?"

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's possible," says William. "It could be poison ink, or simply toxic. I read about a poison pen letter in some mystery novel or other. It might have been an Agatha Christie."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
Whatever ink there was on the cloth was dry, so much so that the symbol and numbers had faded from view almost entirely.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am
by jp1885

“The ink is fading and yet it still compelled the detective here to flee in terror,” muses Ivy. “If poor Jacob got the full dose, perhaps he was maddened enough to smash his head into the cabinet...”

“Perhaps the next person to hold it will experience less severe effects. Pass it to me, if you please, but make sure I don’t do anything foolish.”

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:44 pm
by Silver Priest
Frowning, Alex hands her the cloth. "Be careful. I don't know if that's what affected me, but I can't explain my reaction otherwise. One of us should probably restrain her in case she has a reaction."

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

William watches Ivy closely to make sure she's all right.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,POW roll, please.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:03 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence keeps a watchful eye on the secretary, ready to act if she does anything strange.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:39 am
by jp1885
POW 75,[dice]0[/dice]
Ivy grasps the cloth, trying not to look nervous.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 am
by Philulhu
Ivy took the cloth expecting the worst but experienced no ill effects from touching it.

It was a roughly-torn, white piece of cloth approximately five inches square. The image and numbers had all but vanished.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm
by jp1885

“Hmm, nothing,” says Ivy as she inspects the cloth. “Perhaps it’s worth copying the design before it fades though.”

Rummaging in her bag for a notebook and pencil, she will attempt to do just that.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,I’ll take a relevant skill check, if you have one.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:06 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Hmm... maybe Art (shorthand)? Insomuch as she can write (and possibly draw) at speed? Bit of a push, and it’s not a very high value to roll against (29%), but I’ll give it a go on the understanding that you might disallow It :) [dice]0[/dice]
Ivy tries, and fails, to copy the symbol.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:35 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,I’d have allowed Art at the base of 5%, but no matter.
OOC - All,What are you going to do next?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 am
by Silver Priest
"The way I see it, the two leads we have at the moment are the number- 3235, and the empty envelope. Perhaps after some research one of those clues wills end more light on things."

Alex looks at the party. "Regardless, I'm afraid this is a police matter, and you should let us handle it. We'll get to the bottom of things, don't worry. Criminals always make a mistake, and we'll use that mistake to bring the perpetrator to justice."

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Were there any watermarks on the paper?" asks William. "That might help us trace it. I suspect that the effects of the note have worn off over time. The butler was the first to handle it, so he must have gotten the worst of the effects. Perhaps it actually drove him to kill himself."

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:29 am
by jp1885

“That is exactly what I postulated a few moments ago; were you not listening?” snaps Ivy.

“To whom was the note addressed to? If we know the intended target we might be able to extrapolate the sender.”

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:59 pm
by Philulhu
The envelope that had been retrieved from under Jacob’s body was heavily blood-stained but otherwise intact. It looked to be a standard No. 10 envelope, with Gerald Fraser’s name and address on the front, with a 2c Braddock’s Field stamp and an Arkham post mark.

The envelope itself was empty, seeming only to have contained the cloth that lead to Jacob’s demise.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:39 pm
by Bullfrog
"What I really want to know is this: what kind of person has access to stuff like that cloth?" Lawrence states, a bit perturbed by this thought.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,The cloth itself is common enough, or did you mean the symbol?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:15 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,The symbol, yes.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, ma'am, I wasn't," says William. "I've been rather distracted. It looks like Mr. Fraser was the intended target, and the butler was unfortunate enough to get it first. Whoever sent it may try again, and may try something different. He's still in terrible danger."

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:18 am
by Silver Priest
"Mr. Fraser is a well respected citizen. I think we can arrange to place a guard outside his home, surely. Perhaps have someone to inspect his mail first as well." Alex looks towards the man. "Do you know anyone who wishes ill will to you, Sir?"

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:40 pm
by Philulhu
”Ill-will?” spluttered Fraser Snr.. “I’m not aware of anyone with whom I have had disagreements. I generally get on well with everyone,” he said, somewhat superciliously and against any evidence of Lawrence’s and Thomas’ previous experiences of dealing with the man.

“Feel free to talk to anyone at my club or my employees at the bank, I’m sure they’ll confirm that.”
Lawrence,Know roll, please.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:59 pm
by Bullfrog
EDU 15×5 (Know 75%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could it be connected to James?" asks William. "Maybe someone who bore him ill will is attacking you as a proxy."

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:24 am
by Silver Priest
"What's this about a James?" Alex asked, interested in pursuing this lead.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 pm
by Philulhu
James is my son,” snapped Fraser Snr. “Or rather was my son, according to these gentlemen to whom I paid good money to bring him home. It seems that they failed in their attempts, as they were telling me he had perished not long before events involving Jacob here.” He glanced at the corpse of the unfortunate butler, who the ambulance men were placing onto a stretcher, and shuddered.
Lawrence,The only thing that occurs to Lawrence is that the symbol could have something to do with witchcraft or Native American ways, but it didn’t match anything he had seen before.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am
by Bullfrog
"Well, I think I've figured something out about that symbol: while I don't know what it actually is, but I think it might have ties to witchcraft, or maybe the Indians native to the area." Lawrence hypothesizes; he was by no means a clever man, but he'd picked up quite a bit of knowledge throughout his life.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:32 am
by jp1885

Ivy peers at the symbol, pointedly ignoring the detective's suggestion to leave the investigating to the police.

"Perhaps we could take it to a folklorist or historian and find out? Does anybody know one?"

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:25 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Happy to take a KNOW roll.

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I know someone of the sort," says William.
OOC,Know roll (70% stat) to know a folklorist or historian: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,William is aware of a Professor of History at Arkham University. Professor Betty Jackson is the wife of Harold Jackson, a Professor of Law, whose lectures William has attended from time to time.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Professor Betty Jackson is a history professor in Arkham," says William. "I know her through her husband Harold, who's a law professor there."

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:00 pm
by jp1885

"Then perhaps a call is in order," Ivy declares matter-of-factly.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"May I use your telephone, Mr. Fraser?" asks William.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 am
by Philulhu
Fraser just nodded and indicated that William could use the phone on his desk.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William, going over to the phone and dialing Professor Betty Jackson's number at the university.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:54 am
by Philulhu
The university switchboard put the call though to Professor Jackson’s office, where the she answered the call with a breezy ”Betty Jackson speaking, how can I help you?”

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good day, Professor," says William. "I'm William Preston. I've attended some of your husband's lectures before, but this time it's your expertise my colleagues and I need. We'd like to trace a symbol's origin."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:01 pm
by Philulhu
Professor Jackson listened to William and said, ”I’m intrigued. Come to my office at two ‘o’ clock and we’ll see what I can tell you about your symbol. Now, you must excuse me as I need to eat lunch before my next lecture.” Without waiting for an answer, she rang off, leaving William listening to the dial tone.
OOC,A couple of things... 1. Timecheck - It is 12.15pm (approximately). Is there anything you want to do before going to meet Prof. Jackson? 2. You don’t actually have a copy of the symbol, as it faded away. Would someone like to attempt a drawing of the symbol, in order to show the Prof? (I’ve temporarily hidden the image, so try to do it from memory, please ;) )

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:15 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Ivy's already tried and my memory is rubbish, so I'll let someone else try.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,This isn’t a in-game skill check, per se. Break out MS Paint and give it a go! ;)

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:47 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,I can't draw to save my life, but I'll do it if nobody else does.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I don't have a good enough memory. I only saw it briefly almost two weeks ago.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:30 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,Nor me, I'm afraid. All I remember is it's green. Interesting challenge Philulhu. Sadly my own art skills never progressed to coloring in the lines-- thanks Dyspraxia. :P So I doubt I'd be of much help anyway.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Thanks. It occurred to me that if we were playing around a table, it would be the sort of thing that we could do, so I was interested to see how it works virtually. Bullfrog - over to you :)

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,While we await Bullfrog’s creative output, is there anything you wish to do prior to meeting Prof. Jackson?

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:26 pm
by jp1885

“While we wait, we should find out if there have been other suspicions deaths in the area recently,” Ivy states.“Anything in the press, or police reports.”

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:27 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,a successful Know roll will tell you whether you have heard of anything like that locally.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:04 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,Behold the symbol, as half-remembered and poorly drawn by yours truly. Or maybe not, as I don't know how to post images here. Edit: image may be finally working. [img]https://imgur.com/a/xurR1vj[/img]

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - Bullfrog,Thanks! :) I think the reason your image isn’t showing is because it doesn’t have a format e.g. .jpg. Can you try posting it again or posting the link and I’ll edit for you.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a good idea," says William.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:40 am
by Silver Priest
Know 85%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:36 am
by Philulhu
Alex,Alex cannot recall any recent cases of a similar nature.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:18 am
by Silver Priest
"No cases like that that I recall hearing about," Alex reports. "It would seem this professor is our best option at the moment. Seeing as Mr. Preston here knows her indirectly, it may be best if we speak to her together to learn more.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:17 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I couldn't get the image to display, but it works if you open it in a new tab.
Lawrence searches for a piece of paper to copy down the symbol on, taking a pencil out from his pocket to write with.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:49 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Image

Here’s Bullfrog’s design.  

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:20 pm
by Philulhu
Wednesday March 12th, 1930 2.00pm.
R.C. Memorial Hall, Arkham University, Arkham, Mass.

A porter showed them through to Professor Jackson’s office, where the Professor waited for them. A small, dark-haired woman, she greeted them as they entered and invited them to take a seat.

After a round of introductions, she smiled and, looking at them over her half-moon glasses, said, ”Well, how can I help you? A symbol you want me to identify, is that right?”

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's right," says William. "The original drawing faded, but one of my friends has reproduced it."

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:16 pm
by Bullfrog
"It's not a perfect copy, but it's the best I could do. There was a number with it, too: 3235."
Lawrence takes a seat, presenting his hand-drawn copy of the symbol to Professor Jackson.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
Professor Jackson took the image from Lawrence and smoothed the paper on the desk in front of her. She picked up a pencil and jotted ‘3235’ in the corner.

“And where did you find this? Some context might help me narrow down my search.”

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was on a piece of cloth, in green ink that faded rapidly, sealed inside an envelope," says William.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:20 am
by Philulhu
Professor Jackson nodded and smiled. “I think what I meant,” she said kindly, “Is why it was sent. I must admit it isn’t something I instantly recognise so knowing why it was sent will help me narrow down my search.”

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm
by jp1885

“It was found in the grip of a man we believe had just killed himself, somewhat gruesomely I might add,” Ivy states matter-of-factly. “It also caused someone else severe distress before the ink and presumably the effects faded away. If you don’t recognise the symbol, do you know of any legends regarding sigils and the like causing people to harm themselves?”

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:22 pm
by Silver Priest
"That would be me," Alex admits. "I touched the cloth and never felt anything like that, not since the Great War. I was overcome with feelings of inferiority and hopelessness. Took me a few minutes to overcome it."

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"The ink faded rapidly," says William. "As it did, so the effects seemed to as well."

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:04 am
by Philulhu
Professor Jackson looked thoughtful. ”Sigils and symbols have a long history of being used as both a curse and as a defence against such curses. They have been used for millennia in the Americas, in Europe, in Africa and Asia,” she said. “The addition of the poison is unusual, however. Normally, such symbols rely on the belief of the victim that some ill will befall them. Obviously, this works in more primitive or superstitious communities - we live in more enlightened times!”

“It may take some time to trace this,” Professor Jackson continued. “But my interest is piqued, so I will see what I can do to help you.”

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Professor," says William. "Please let us know if you find something. I suppose it's best if you call the detective here, as he's in charge of the investigation." He indicates Alex.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 am
by Silver Priest
Alex gives her his phone number. "Please do not hesitate to contact me if you learn anything, no matter how minute it may seem." He tells her.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:57 pm
by Philulhu
Professor Jackson assured them that she would be in touch as soon as she found anything and summoned a Porter to show them back to the front entrance.

Outside, dark clouds had moved in, and the wind gusted, bringing with it the first drops of rain.
OOC,What would you like to do next?

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 pm
by jp1885

Ivy will take some time looking through local directories for any addresses or telephone numbers containing the number 3235, noting any that might have a link to her employer.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,do we have the blank cloth with us? I was thinking of trying to figure out where the cloth itself came from.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:38 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Ivy - Where do you plan to look? Or are you just going to find a directory in a call box? Lawrence - I presume you have the cloth with you. How do you plan to find out about it? Alex/William - Any lines of enquiry you want follow?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:52 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I aim to ask around at local tailor shops and other related places about the piece of cloth. Arkham isn't a particularly large city, so it hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult of a process.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's a good idea. I'll consult legal records to see if anyone has filed lawsuits against [b]Gerald Fraser[/b] or vice versa to check for potential enemies, even if [b]Fraser[/b] doesn't consider them such. I can start by calling [b]Fraser[/b] himself to see if he recalls any legal disputes.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:41 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,Alex would be interested in trying to trace the envelope's handwriting. Is there any records office that would have signatures that he could compare it to? If not, he'll go with Lawrence and try to find out more about the cloth.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:10 am
by jp1885
OOC:   I assume as a secretary, Ivy would have her own copy of the local directory, but otherwise she’d borrow a copy from the library or indeed a phone booth.  

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:22 am
by Philulhu
Alex,[b]Alex[/b] returned to the station to consult with his Chief of Detectives, [b]Luther Harden[/b]. He made his way across the office and knocked on the Chief’s office. [b]Harden[/b] looked up and beckoned him in. [color=#0080FF]“Hey [b]Alex[/b], what can I do for you?”[/color] he asked.
Ivy,[b]Ivy[/b] made her way to the Public Library. Moving through the stacks, she quickly found the directory for Arkham. Glancing around, she spotted a free reading desk so she carried the directory over, sat down and started to read. [i]OOC: A Library Use roll will be required.[/i]
Lawrence,[b]Lawrence[/b] wasn’t exactly familiar with clothes shops so his first port of call was Adams general store. With [b]Rider Adams’[/b] help, he soon found himself standing outside Hattie’s Boutique shop, at 42 West Church Street. From inside, a neatly attired woman watched him through the window.
William,[b]William[/b] made his way back to the offices of E.E. Saltonstall on Gedney Street and let himself. His office was quiet, untouched since he, [b]Howard[/b], [b]Lawrence[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] had made their way to Louisiana to try to rescue [b]James[/b]... ... After a moment, he called through to one of the secretaries who, after she got over the surprise of him being back in the office, brought him a cup of coffee and a stack of files detailing the firm’s dealings with the [b]Fraser[/b] family over the years... [i]OOC: Library Use required.[/i]

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:28 am
by Silver Priest
"Hey Chief. Have you heard about the Fraser case? Someone sent him a cloth with some kind of symbol on it. His butler picked it up and apparently the ink was poisonous, led to him to go into some sort of hysteria and crash into a glass cabinet.. Faded before we could properly examine it, though I'm consulting with a professor now to help me track down what it could be. In the meantime, I think we should take a look at the envelope-- There's no return address, but I'm hoping to compare the handwriting with signatures of those in Arkham, and see if we can get a match or at least narrow down our list of suspects."

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:25 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence steps into the boutique, extracting the piece of cloth from his pocket.
"I'd like to know a bit about a piece of cloth, if you've got the time." he straightforwardly states to the woman, who he assumed to be the proprietor.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

William soon finds the information he seeks.
OOC,Library Use (55% skill) to find potential enemies: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 am
by jp1885
Library use 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Search all she might, Ivy can find nothing. Slamming the directory shut, she harrumphs loudly.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:34 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,[color=#0080FF]“Well, we don’t exactly have a library of handwriting styles,”[/color] replied [b]Harden[/b]. [color=#0080ff]”And correspondence is normally filed by case, so the only way to be sure is to check all the files.”[/color] He paused and thought for a bit, then pulled open a desk drawer and fetched out a magnifying glass. He angled his desk light to better illuminate the envelope and peered closely through the glass. He studied it for around a minute, by which time [b]Alex[/b] was starting to wonder if he was going to be able to help, and then [b]Harden[/b] said, [color=#0080ff]”I reckon that’s a child’s hand - possibly female, not especially well-educated because her penmanship isn’t much to write home about.” [/color]
Ivy,There was a [i]‘shush’[/i] and a glare from the older librarian, sat behind a desk near the entrance. When she looked his way, he frowned and held a finger to his lips. [i]OOC: Any other ideas?[/i]
Lawrence,The woman looked at the cloth somewhat warily, and [b]Lawrence[/b] couldn’t exactly blame her. The cloth was stained with flecks of blood along one edge. She reached out and took it gingerly in gloved hands and held it in the light to see it better. Pulling a face, she removed one glove so she could rub the cloth between two fingers. She returned the cloth and said, [color=#FF00FF]“That isn’t an especially refined cloth. Industrial grade,”[/color] she said. [color=#FF00ff]”My best guess would be that it is material made for the labouring classes. An apron for scullery maid, a nurse or a servant perhaps,”[/color] she said, somewhat superciliously.
William,The [b]Fraser[/b] files were extensive, but most referred to business deals and had no indication of any ill-feeling or dispute. After an hour’s reading, [b]William[/b] had nothing to suggest that recent events had anything to do with [b]Fraser’s[/b] business dealings.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:07 pm
by jp1885

Returning his gaze with one equally fierce, Ivy marches up to the librarian.

“I wouldn’t be so noisy if someone could be bothered to help me!” she hisses, slamming the directory onto his desk. “I want to find any numbers or addresses containing the digits 3235. Will you assist me or not?”

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

Having come up empty, William checks in with the others to see if they've found anything.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:35 am
by Silver Priest
"I was mostly hoping to compare the writing to signatures Arkham may have on file, such as home or automative deeds," Alex explains. "But your information is a fine start in narrowing it down. Thanks a lot, Chief."

He'll go to meet with the others and compare what they've learned.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:25 am
by Bullfrog
"Thank you, that's all I was looking to know." Lawrence responds, cataloguing that detail in his mind. He waits for her to to return the cloth to him, leaving to go congregate with the other members of the group once she has; the cloth's origin was an intriguing clue, and it was bound to be of some use in this investigation.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 am
by Philulhu
Ivy,[color=#800040]”That attitude will get you nowhere!”[/color] hissed the librarian, identified as [b]Mr. H. Chapman[/b] by the nameplate on his desk. [color=#800040]”I suggest you moderate your tone if you expect any assistance!”[/color]
Everyone else,[b]William[/b] was still sat at his desk when the there was a knock at the door and one of the secretaries showed in [b]Alex[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b], who had returned from their respective fact-finding missions. [i]OOC: I’ve assumed you’re meeting at William’s place of work as he has an office where you can meet.[/i]

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:21 pm
by jp1885

Ivy stiffens.

“Very well, I apologise.”, she says reluctantly. “It’s been a very trying day. Any assistance you would be prepared to offer would be greatly appreciated.”

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:40 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,Pulling on the tails to straighten his waistcoat, [b]Chapman[/b] said, [color=#800040]”That’s better. Now, as far as I am aware, no house number in Arkham exceeds 752 so it cannot be an address here. You said it might a telephone number, have you tried asking the operator to put you through?”[/color]

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:31 pm
by jp1885

“Well, ahem, not as such,” splutters Ivy. “That’s very prescient: thank you.”
With a curt and embarrassed nod, she leaves the library and heads back to the sanctity of her desk. From there she calls the operator as the librarian suggested.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,[color=#FF8000]”I have three names for you,ma’am,”[/color] replied the operator, once [b]Ivy[/b] had explained what she wanted. [color=#FF8000]“A [b]Mrs Galvin[/b], a [b]Mr Kirwan[/b] and a [b]Mr Noroian[/b]. Oh wait, [b]Mrs Galvin[/b] passed three years ago.“[/color] There was a pause and the scratching sound of a note being made. [color=#FF8000]“Can I put you through to [b]Mr Kirwan[/b] or [b]Mr Noroian[/b]?”[/color] the operator asked.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I searched for any possible enemies from legal matters concerning Mr. Fraser and his business," says William. "I found nothing. I hope you've had better luck."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:00 am
by Bullfrog
"I did, in fact; the cloth is industrial grade stuff, most likely meant for an apron, the kind a nurse or maid might wear." Lawrence explains, presenting the cloth to William and Alex.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:50 am
by Silver Priest
"Good work. I had someone analyze the handwriting; they said we were looking for someone young, a child or teenager maybe. Awful penmanship, so likely with a limited education. Also very likely to be female as well."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 am
by jp1885

Ivy requests Mrs. Galvin’s address, just in case, before asking to be put through to Mr. Kirwan. If he answers, she will explain that her employer Mr. Fraser has received some poorly addressed mail and she’s trying to trace the sender. Does he have any ties to Fraser?

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:09 am
by Philulhu
Ivy,[color=#400080]”Kirwan!”[/color] was the brisk reply when the telephone was picked up. [color=#400080]“[b]Gerald Fraser[/b]? Yes, I met him once or twice over the years. Police fundraisers and the like. I was a policeman - retired now. He always seemed a reasonable enough fellow - a bit full of himself, but generous enough.” [/color]

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:12 am
by jp1885

Ivy makes a note of Kirwan's details to look into later.

"I see. So no letters have been posted to him from your address? Well thank you for your time."

She then asks the operator to put her through to Noroian and, if he answers, will ask the same questions.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:30 am
by Philulhu
Ivy,The call was picked up and [b]Ivy[/b] heard voices in the background. It sounded like two people arguing about who should answer the phone. After a few moments a woman spoke, confirming the number and asked how she could help. When asked about [b]Gerald Fraser[/b], she said, [color=#FF40FF]”I don’t know anyone by that name. A banker, you say? Let me just ask my husband...”[/color] There was more muffled speech, then she said, [color=#FF40FF]“I’ve asked him but he doesn’t know any [b]Gerald Fraser[/b]. Sorry we can’t help you further.”[/color]

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 am
by jp1885

One last gambit before she reports to the others, Ivy tries Mrs. Galvin’s number: perhaps there is a relative still living at the address?

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:18 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,[b]Ivy[/b] phoned the operator once more but when she tried to connect the call the operator advised that the number was no longer in service.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:32 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Last of the Ivy spam for now!  
Ivy returns to the others, explaining how she has found three telephone numbers including the digits on the cloth: that of Mr. Kirwan, a retired cop who met Fraser once or twice and didn’t seem to bear him a grudge, Mr. Noroian, a married man who had never heard of Fraser, and the late Mrs. Galvin, who died three years ago and whose number has been discontinued.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:35 pm
by Philulhu
By the time Ivy joined them, the afternoon was coming to an end. The clock in the office chimed five ‘o’ clock and elsewhere in the office, staff could be heard wishing each other a pleasant evening before they left for home. After a few minutes, it was quiet again.
OOC,Actions, enquiries, points of discussion?

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:49 pm
by Silver Priest
"I suppose the next order of inquiry would be looking into young woman who previously worked for Mr. Fraser, specifically as either maids or perhaps even a home nurse. One of them may bear him a grudge. Although, if our suspect is less educated I have a hard time figuring out how she put together whatever concoction caused such an adverse reaction in the butler and I."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it seems highly likely that a girl wrote this poison pen letter," says William, "possibly a nurse or a maid judging from the type of cloth. I'd lean more toward a nurse, as the one behind this seems to have a specialized kind of knowledge. On the other hand, she could very well be too young to have a profession from the handwriting analysis. Perhaps she is not behind this alone. If she's uneducated, she likely does not have the knowledge of poisons herself, but who would help her do this?"

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:21 pm
by jp1885

“Perhaps the three people I called have (or had) daughters or staff. I shall look into it if you wish.”

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, please do," says William. "Is there anything I can do to help with that process?"

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:14 pm
by Silver Priest
"I'll speak with Mr. Fraser, determine if he had any former employees he had a failing out with."

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:52 am
by Bullfrog
"I've got an idea: what if the numbers on the cloth weren't a phone number? It'd be strange to leave that on a letter meant to kill or harm, considering that it was probably meant to be anonymous, and it'd certainly explain why none of those people knew Mr. Fraser very well." Lawrence interjects, having come to an important realization of his own after some contemplation. That number certainly had to have some kind of significance, but what?

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm
by jp1885

“You may very well be right young man, but we should leave no stone unturned,” Ivy says to Lawrence.

She nods at William. “If you could assist me in cross-referencing the telephone numbers with addresses. Then we find out who lives at each one - between us we should be able to discover that.” She includes the detective in this statement.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:19 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,As I understand it, US census data is protected by the ‘72 year rule’: https://www.census.gov/history/www/genealogy/decennial_census_records/the_72_year_rule_1.html I’m not sure if the same rules were in place in 1930 but I think it’s a fairly good bet.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:36 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Ah, that scuppers my idea somewhat! I’ll edit my post with something else.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:09 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,The White Pages (phone book) will have addresses. People are alphabetically listed so it won’t take long to find their addresses.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:23 pm
by jp1885
OOC,That’ll do then :)

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 am
by Philulhu
William fetched a copy of the White Pages from the secretaries’ office and it was a matter of a few minutes’ work to find the addresses that matched the numbers:

3-3235 Galvin, Roxana (Mrs) 507 Pickman Street, Arkham
5-3235 Kirwan, Arthur P. 170 South Powder Mill Street, Arkham
6-3235 Noroian, John 205 Federal Street, Arkham

The clock in the office chimed the half-hour.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Those are the names I found," says William. "Only one is a woman, and if she's married, she's probably not young enough, though she could have a daughter. Interesting that she has a listing, but her husband doesn't. She could be a widow, or divorced. Let's run these names by Mr. Fraser and see if any of them are familiar to him."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am
by Bullfrog
"Mrs. Galvin is deceased, and her number has evidently been discontinued. She definitely could have some living family, however." Lawrence points out. "If she proves to have a connection to Fraser, we should take a look into them."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 am
by jp1885

"Perhaps you could consult the police records Detective?" Ivy asks Alexander. "And it wouldn't hurt if we happened to be walking past each address by way of our daily exercise."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 pm
by Silver Priest
"Sure," Alex nods in agreement. "I can do that. I'll look them up and see if any of the names have anything of interest that stands out."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:06 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I don’t want to derail your discussions, but are you planning to continue your investigations this evening or reconvene the following day?

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I would like to call [b]Gerald Fraser[/b] and see if any of the names are familiar to him this evening.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:14 am
by Silver Priest
Sure,Alex will continue this evening. he'll look up the names they've found in police records. Tomorrow he'll ask Fraser about them.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:28 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] will return home for the evening, but will take a pass by each of the addresses on his way there.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:24 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Ivy will catch up on her administrative work before heading home for the evening.  

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 pm
by Philulhu
Alex,By the time [b]Alex[/b] returned to the precinct, it was quiet. The day shift had gone home and the night shift were busying themselves with catching up on events of the day. [b]Alex[/b] made his way to the records office, where the details of all those whose paths had crossed the Arkham Police were located. To one side, there was a bank of drawers, which [b]Alex[/b] knew contained a card index of names and it was there that he made a start... ... Two hours later, he sat at his desk with a note of what he had found: [b]Roxana Galvin[/b] - A report from 1923 of youths throwing stones at the windows of her Pickman Street home. It was presumed they were pupils or ex-pupils but no suspects were identified nor any arrests made. [b]John Noroian[/b] - Arrested for public intoxication in 1928. Noroian claimed he was celebrating the birth of his daughter and spent the night in the cells. He was fined and released the next day. There was no record for [b]Arthur Kirwan[/b] which, given he was a policeman, wasn’t wholly unsurprising. There would be a personnel file, but [b]Alex[/b] would need authority from the Chief to get that released.
Ivy,Ivy walked through the damp, blustery streets until she arrived at the bank. The large wooden doors were locked and a single light glowed through the window over the doors. Ivy knew that one of the nightwatchmen would be on duty but they were under strict instruction not to let anyone in. [i]OOC: As an employee of [b]Gerald Fraser[/b], I’ll assume that your office is at the bank, unless you think it should be elsewhere?[/i]
Lawrence,The evening was cool and damp so Lawrence was feeling decidedly chilled by the time he got home. He had walked past the three addresses, but there was nothing of note to catch his attention. [b]Kirwan’s[/b] house was neat, with a single light burning in the living room window. Through the window, [b]Lawrence[/b] had caught sight of [b]Kirwan[/b] - a stocky, older, grey-haired man sat in an armchair reading a newspaper. Moving on, he carried on past the [b]Noroian[/b] residence, a small and shabby terraced house near the slaughterhouse. The curtains were drawn so he could not see inside, but lights were on and a baby could be heard crying. Last of all, [b]Lawrence[/b] visited the home of the late [b]Roxana Galvin[/b]. The house was in darkness, with the windows all shuttered. A ‘For Sale’ sign stood at the edge of the property but it looked weather-beaten, as if it had been there for a while. Of any signs of recent visitors, there were none.
William,William telephoned [b]Fraser’s[/b] house where [b]Captain Keats[/b] answered the call. [b]Keats[/b] advised that the Doctor had given [b]Fraser[/b] a sedative and asked that he not be disturbed. [b]Keats[/b] took the details of the three people and said that he would talk to [b]Fraser[/b] about them in the morning, saying he would pass on any details as soon as he could.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:28 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Yes I think that’s a reasonable assumption.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex frowns and rubs his face in frustration. This seemed like a dead end. He had no reason to think Kirwan was involved, and professional courtesy meant he did not want to pry into the man's affairs without cause. Hoping the others find something more, he heads home and retires for the evening, still feeling like a failure.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Captain Keats," says William. "I shall speak to you again in the morning."

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:02 am
by jp1885

Ivy nods cordially to the watchman.

“I’m hoping to catch up on some work,” she explains, assuming he recognises her.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:08 am
by Philulhu
Ivy,The night watchman is inside the building and can’t be seen. She just knows the routine from having worked late on previous occasions.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 am
by jp1885
OOC,Ah yes. In that case, Ivy will try the doors of the bank first and first of she can get in, the post above stands.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:34 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,[b]Ivy[/b] knocks on the door and after a few moments, she hears the voice of [b]Ivan[/b], one of the night watchman. She explains that she wants to come in to finish off some work, but after a pause, [b]Ivan[/b] explains that [b]Mr Fraser’s[/b] explicit introductions were that no one was to be admitted after the bank had closed for the day. He apologises, but says he can only suggest that [b]Ivy[/b] speak to [b]Mr Fraser[/b] if she doesn’t think it can wait until the morning.
OOC - All,Unless there are any other actions you wish to perform, I’ll move this to the following morning. I’ll assume that you will meet in William’s office again, unless you say otherwise.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:35 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I have no objection to that.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm fine with that too.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 am
by jp1885
OOC,Yep, go for it.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
by Philulhu
Thursday March 13th, 1930 9.00am.
Offices of E.E. Saltonstall & Associates, Gedney Street, Arkham, Mass.

The day had dawned brighter than the day before, though the streets of Arkham were wet from the night’s rain. The wind was blustery and the temperature cool. Winter was on its way out, but the benefits of spring were not to be felt this morning.

In William’s office, he sat behind his desk, with Alex, Ivy and Lawrence facing him. Four cups of coffee sat on a tray on his desk, steam rising towards the ceiling. The secretary who had brought their drinks closed the door quietly behind her, leaving them to discuss their business.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:37 pm
by jp1885

Ivy thanks the secretary and settles in her seat. When asked, she’ll outline what she’s learned.

“So, what have we discovered?” she asks.
OOC,Post amended. One of these days I'll learn to read them properly before posting!

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy,I’ve had you all meet in [b]William’s[/b] office. [b]Fraser[/b] isn’t there.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:47 am
by Bullfrog
"I passed by the addresses on my way home yesterday evening: Mrs. Galvin's house is barren, not a soul living there; I saw Kirwan at his house through a window, but nothing else there of note; I didn't catch sight of the Noroians, but I did hear their baby crying inside."
Lawrence recounts the rather mundane things he saw, after which he picks up a cup of coffee and takes a quaff from it.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"When I called Gerald Fraser, Captain Keats answered the telephone," says William. "He told me that Mr. Fraser had been sedated, but that he would run the names by him in the morning and let me know if any were familiar to him."

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 am
by Silver Priest
"I looked into police reports. Ms. Galvan complained of a few youth throwing stones at her windows back in 1923, but no arrests were ever made. Mr. Noroian was fined in 1928 for public intoxication." Alex sniffs, making it clear he's still a fervent defender of prohibition. "He claimed he was celebrating his daughter's birth. And Officer Kirwan's records are not available to me unless I do further digging.Given we are looking for a woman, however, I saw no point in it. Hopefully Mr. Fraser can clear some of this up and give us a clear suspect to chase. From my brief interaction with the gentleman, he seems the type to recall any who may have wronged him."

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:23 pm
by Philulhu
There was a tap at the door and a secretary looked in. ”I’m sorry to interrupt Mr Preston, but I have a telephone call for you from Captain Keats. He says he is calling on behalf of Gerald Fraser and that you will know what it concerns.”

When Keats is put through to William he says, Mr Fraser is still distraught over the loss of James but I asked him about those names you gave me and he has no recollection of meeting or having anything to do with any of them.”

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Captain," says William. "Well, it was worth a try." He lets the others know that they came up empty.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:40 am
by Bullfrog
"Clearly, this phone number lead is a dead end, or a wrong turn entirely. I think it's got some kind of witchcraft ties like the symbol it was with; thirteen is seen as unlucky, so who's to say this isn't like that?" Lawrence claims; he would have been proud to be right about the phone numbers, if the situation was much less dire.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:55 am
by Silver Priest
Alex sighs in defeat. "Agreed.

"I suppose we could also check out hospitals or maids since our perpetrator may come from one of those professions, but I suspect we are looking for a needle in a haysack I'm still not convinced an occult angle is the right one to look for here, but it's worth a try-- our other efforts have come up short."

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:50 am
by jp1885

“I too am at a loss,” Ivy admits, pursing her lips pensively. “I could check the bank employee records in case anyone has been dismissed and could therefore be vengeful. Or perhaps the bank has foreclosed a loan, repossessed a house or something and it’s a disgruntled client? Either way it seems an extreme way of getting back at Mr. Fraser, but it’s another avenue of inquiry at least.”

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's something we can check," says William. "There's been a lot of anger at the banks since the crash."

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:48 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK, where/what do you intend to do next?

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:10 am
by Silver Priest
"What about Fraser's son?" Alex asks the party. "He seemed to pass recently? You all were involved in trying to bring him home? Could anyone hold ire towards Fraser for that?"

He considers. "We also have to consider that the butler may have been the real target. It's rather unlikely, but he would normally have opened any letter for his employer. Perhaps it being addressed to Mr. Fraser was a design to throw us off. I highly doubt this myself, but we seem to be dealing with a clever killer, despite their lack of education-- a move like this has to be briefly considered."
ooc,I'm honestly at a total loss myself. The best thing I can suggest out of character is to watch Fraser carefully and wait for someone to try again, but that's not advise I can give IC. :P

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:23 am
by Bullfrog
"Well, James had a girlfriend he was trying to meet with before he went missing; she didn't take the news of him disappearing very well, from what I know. Could she have heard of his death, and maybe held Mr. Fraser accountable for it?" Lawrence suggests, thinking back to when he was first hired to retrieve James, which now seemed so long ago; the handwriting on the cloth was made by a female hand, which certainly made sense if he was right.
"I can't remember her name for the life of me, though. Was it Emilia, maybe? Emily?"
OOC,I suppose we should look into [b]James'[/b] girlfriend, find out her occupation.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:02 pm
by jp1885
OOC,I'm also a bit stuck. All I can think of is, as Ivy says, to check bank records for disgruntled customers or employees.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Emily, I think," says William. "I still have the letter James addressed to her. I'd also like to know what was in the one for his father. I also suspected it could have to do with James. Maybe we should visit Gerald and ask him about it."
OOC,I'm feeling stuck too.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:22 am
by Philulhu
OOC,You have some clues you can follow up and some that you have yet to see so don’t worry if you don’t have the full picture yet.
William had the letter from James to Emily in his pocket, her name and address scrawled in his familiar looping scrawl.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't want to invade her privacy," says William, "but if it's relevant we could steam it open and then reseal it after reading it. We can also deliver it to her when we're ready. It gives us the perfect excuse to go talk to her."

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:43 am
by Bullfrog
"I don't think Mr. Fraser would be too willing to let us see something as personal as that, but it could still be worth asking. I'm not exactly sure about unsealing James' other letter, either; it wouldn't sit right with me, but I'm afraid we need any clue we can get our hands on." Lawrence says with consternation, setting down his cup on the table.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:58 am
by jp1885

“Open it,” says Ivy firmly. “If it’s nothing but sentimental sop then there’s no harm in it.”

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

William nods and uses his steaming cup of coffee to steam open the letter. The coffee hits the spot as well.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:04 am
by Philulhu
The steam gently warmed the gum that kept the flap of the envelope sealed and after about thirty seconds, it lifted up so that the letter inside could be withdrawn. As he unfolded it, William instantly recognised James’ handwriting, although it was obviously written in a hurry, without his usual care.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy

After showing the letter to the others, William carefully seals it back up in the envelope. "The letter for Gerald Fraser must have been similar," says William. "That's why he no longer blames us. I think the best thing we can do is deliver this to Emily. If she is harboring a desire for revenge, this may change her mind."

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:24 am
by Silver Priest
"I suppose I see no alternative. At least it will let us determine if she is a suspect in the matter. I also want to check in with the chief, see if security has been assigned to Mr. Fraser. I think it's very likely our killer will attempt to strike again, and I think at least a few of us should keep watch on him in case they do."

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:02 am
by jp1885

With no other ideas presenting themselves, Ivy will continue with her plan to delve through bank records.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK, so who is heading where?

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:05 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Ivy’s off to the bank.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:51 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] will go travel to Amesbury deliver the letter to [b]Emily[/b], if [b]William[/b] agrees to it.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,Alex will stakeout Fraser's house, see if anyone suspicious comes on by.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll go with [b]Lawrence[/b] to deliver the letter to [b]Emily[/b].

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:47 pm
by Philulhu