Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

Post by Bullfrog »

Lawrence steps into the boutique, extracting the piece of cloth from his pocket.
"I'd like to know a bit about a piece of cloth, if you've got the time." he straightforwardly states to the woman, who he assumed to be the proprietor.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

William soon finds the information he seeks.
OOC,Library Use (55% skill) to find potential enemies: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Library use 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Search all she might, Ivy can find nothing. Slamming the directory shut, she harrumphs loudly.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Alex,[color=#0080FF]“Well, we don’t exactly have a library of handwriting styles,”[/color] replied [b]Harden[/b]. [color=#0080ff]”And correspondence is normally filed by case, so the only way to be sure is to check all the files.”[/color] He paused and thought for a bit, then pulled open a desk drawer and fetched out a magnifying glass. He angled his desk light to better illuminate the envelope and peered closely through the glass. He studied it for around a minute, by which time [b]Alex[/b] was starting to wonder if he was going to be able to help, and then [b]Harden[/b] said, [color=#0080ff]”I reckon that’s a child’s hand - possibly female, not especially well-educated because her penmanship isn’t much to write home about.” [/color]
Ivy,There was a [i]‘shush’[/i] and a glare from the older librarian, sat behind a desk near the entrance. When she looked his way, he frowned and held a finger to his lips. [i]OOC: Any other ideas?[/i]
Lawrence,The woman looked at the cloth somewhat warily, and [b]Lawrence[/b] couldn’t exactly blame her. The cloth was stained with flecks of blood along one edge. She reached out and took it gingerly in gloved hands and held it in the light to see it better. Pulling a face, she removed one glove so she could rub the cloth between two fingers. She returned the cloth and said, [color=#FF00FF]“That isn’t an especially refined cloth. Industrial grade,”[/color] she said. [color=#FF00ff]”My best guess would be that it is material made for the labouring classes. An apron for scullery maid, a nurse or a servant perhaps,”[/color] she said, somewhat superciliously.
William,The [b]Fraser[/b] files were extensive, but most referred to business deals and had no indication of any ill-feeling or dispute. After an hour’s reading, [b]William[/b] had nothing to suggest that recent events had anything to do with [b]Fraser’s[/b] business dealings.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Returning his gaze with one equally fierce, Ivy marches up to the librarian.

“I wouldn’t be so noisy if someone could be bothered to help me!” she hisses, slamming the directory onto his desk. “I want to find any numbers or addresses containing the digits 3235. Will you assist me or not?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Having come up empty, William checks in with the others to see if they've found anything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I was mostly hoping to compare the writing to signatures Arkham may have on file, such as home or automative deeds," Alex explains. "But your information is a fine start in narrowing it down. Thanks a lot, Chief."

He'll go to meet with the others and compare what they've learned.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Thank you, that's all I was looking to know." Lawrence responds, cataloguing that detail in his mind. He waits for her to to return the cloth to him, leaving to go congregate with the other members of the group once she has; the cloth's origin was an intriguing clue, and it was bound to be of some use in this investigation.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,[color=#800040]”That attitude will get you nowhere!”[/color] hissed the librarian, identified as [b]Mr. H. Chapman[/b] by the nameplate on his desk. [color=#800040]”I suggest you moderate your tone if you expect any assistance!”[/color]
Everyone else,[b]William[/b] was still sat at his desk when the there was a knock at the door and one of the secretaries showed in [b]Alex[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b], who had returned from their respective fact-finding missions. [i]OOC: I’ve assumed you’re meeting at William’s place of work as he has an office where you can meet.[/i]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy stiffens.

“Very well, I apologise.”, she says reluctantly. “It’s been a very trying day. Any assistance you would be prepared to offer would be greatly appreciated.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,Pulling on the tails to straighten his waistcoat, [b]Chapman[/b] said, [color=#800040]”That’s better. Now, as far as I am aware, no house number in Arkham exceeds 752 so it cannot be an address here. You said it might a telephone number, have you tried asking the operator to put you through?”[/color]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Well, ahem, not as such,” splutters Ivy. “That’s very prescient: thank you.”
With a curt and embarrassed nod, she leaves the library and heads back to the sanctity of her desk. From there she calls the operator as the librarian suggested.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,[color=#FF8000]”I have three names for you,ma’am,”[/color] replied the operator, once [b]Ivy[/b] had explained what she wanted. [color=#FF8000]“A [b]Mrs Galvin[/b], a [b]Mr Kirwan[/b] and a [b]Mr Noroian[/b]. Oh wait, [b]Mrs Galvin[/b] passed three years ago.“[/color] There was a pause and the scratching sound of a note being made. [color=#FF8000]“Can I put you through to [b]Mr Kirwan[/b] or [b]Mr Noroian[/b]?”[/color] the operator asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I searched for any possible enemies from legal matters concerning Mr. Fraser and his business," says William. "I found nothing. I hope you've had better luck."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"I did, in fact; the cloth is industrial grade stuff, most likely meant for an apron, the kind a nurse or maid might wear." Lawrence explains, presenting the cloth to William and Alex.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good work. I had someone analyze the handwriting; they said we were looking for someone young, a child or teenager maybe. Awful penmanship, so likely with a limited education. Also very likely to be female as well."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy requests Mrs. Galvin’s address, just in case, before asking to be put through to Mr. Kirwan. If he answers, she will explain that her employer Mr. Fraser has received some poorly addressed mail and she’s trying to trace the sender. Does he have any ties to Fraser?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,[color=#400080]”Kirwan!”[/color] was the brisk reply when the telephone was picked up. [color=#400080]“[b]Gerald Fraser[/b]? Yes, I met him once or twice over the years. Police fundraisers and the like. I was a policeman - retired now. He always seemed a reasonable enough fellow - a bit full of himself, but generous enough.” [/color]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy makes a note of Kirwan's details to look into later.

"I see. So no letters have been posted to him from your address? Well thank you for your time."

She then asks the operator to put her through to Noroian and, if he answers, will ask the same questions.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,The call was picked up and [b]Ivy[/b] heard voices in the background. It sounded like two people arguing about who should answer the phone. After a few moments a woman spoke, confirming the number and asked how she could help. When asked about [b]Gerald Fraser[/b], she said, [color=#FF40FF]”I don’t know anyone by that name. A banker, you say? Let me just ask my husband...”[/color] There was more muffled speech, then she said, [color=#FF40FF]“I’ve asked him but he doesn’t know any [b]Gerald Fraser[/b]. Sorry we can’t help you further.”[/color]

Return to “Servants of the Lake”