Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,I don’t want to derail your discussions, but are you planning to continue your investigations this evening or reconvene the following day?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I would like to call [b]Gerald Fraser[/b] and see if any of the names are familiar to him this evening.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Sure,Alex will continue this evening. he'll look up the names they've found in police records. Tomorrow he'll ask Fraser about them.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] will return home for the evening, but will take a pass by each of the addresses on his way there.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Ivy will catch up on her administrative work before heading home for the evening.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex,By the time [b]Alex[/b] returned to the precinct, it was quiet. The day shift had gone home and the night shift were busying themselves with catching up on events of the day. [b]Alex[/b] made his way to the records office, where the details of all those whose paths had crossed the Arkham Police were located. To one side, there was a bank of drawers, which [b]Alex[/b] knew contained a card index of names and it was there that he made a start... ... Two hours later, he sat at his desk with a note of what he had found: [b]Roxana Galvin[/b] - A report from 1923 of youths throwing stones at the windows of her Pickman Street home. It was presumed they were pupils or ex-pupils but no suspects were identified nor any arrests made. [b]John Noroian[/b] - Arrested for public intoxication in 1928. Noroian claimed he was celebrating the birth of his daughter and spent the night in the cells. He was fined and released the next day. There was no record for [b]Arthur Kirwan[/b] which, given he was a policeman, wasn’t wholly unsurprising. There would be a personnel file, but [b]Alex[/b] would need authority from the Chief to get that released.
Ivy,Ivy walked through the damp, blustery streets until she arrived at the bank. The large wooden doors were locked and a single light glowed through the window over the doors. Ivy knew that one of the nightwatchmen would be on duty but they were under strict instruction not to let anyone in. [i]OOC: As an employee of [b]Gerald Fraser[/b], I’ll assume that your office is at the bank, unless you think it should be elsewhere?[/i]
Lawrence,The evening was cool and damp so Lawrence was feeling decidedly chilled by the time he got home. He had walked past the three addresses, but there was nothing of note to catch his attention. [b]Kirwan’s[/b] house was neat, with a single light burning in the living room window. Through the window, [b]Lawrence[/b] had caught sight of [b]Kirwan[/b] - a stocky, older, grey-haired man sat in an armchair reading a newspaper. Moving on, he carried on past the [b]Noroian[/b] residence, a small and shabby terraced house near the slaughterhouse. The curtains were drawn so he could not see inside, but lights were on and a baby could be heard crying. Last of all, [b]Lawrence[/b] visited the home of the late [b]Roxana Galvin[/b]. The house was in darkness, with the windows all shuttered. A ‘For Sale’ sign stood at the edge of the property but it looked weather-beaten, as if it had been there for a while. Of any signs of recent visitors, there were none.
William,William telephoned [b]Fraser’s[/b] house where [b]Captain Keats[/b] answered the call. [b]Keats[/b] advised that the Doctor had given [b]Fraser[/b] a sedative and asked that he not be disturbed. [b]Keats[/b] took the details of the three people and said that he would talk to [b]Fraser[/b] about them in the morning, saying he would pass on any details as soon as he could.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Yes I think that’s a reasonable assumption.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex frowns and rubs his face in frustration. This seemed like a dead end. He had no reason to think Kirwan was involved, and professional courtesy meant he did not want to pry into the man's affairs without cause. Hoping the others find something more, he heads home and retires for the evening, still feeling like a failure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Captain Keats," says William. "I shall speak to you again in the morning."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy nods cordially to the watchman.

“I’m hoping to catch up on some work,” she explains, assuming he recognises her.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,The night watchman is inside the building and can’t be seen. She just knows the routine from having worked late on previous occasions.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Ah yes. In that case, Ivy will try the doors of the bank first and first of she can get in, the post above stands.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,[b]Ivy[/b] knocks on the door and after a few moments, she hears the voice of [b]Ivan[/b], one of the night watchman. She explains that she wants to come in to finish off some work, but after a pause, [b]Ivan[/b] explains that [b]Mr Fraser’s[/b] explicit introductions were that no one was to be admitted after the bank had closed for the day. He apologises, but says he can only suggest that [b]Ivy[/b] speak to [b]Mr Fraser[/b] if she doesn’t think it can wait until the morning.
OOC - All,Unless there are any other actions you wish to perform, I’ll move this to the following morning. I’ll assume that you will meet in William’s office again, unless you say otherwise.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

OOC,I have no objection to that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm fine with that too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Yep, go for it.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Thursday March 13th, 1930 9.00am.
Offices of E.E. Saltonstall & Associates, Gedney Street, Arkham, Mass.

The day had dawned brighter than the day before, though the streets of Arkham were wet from the night’s rain. The wind was blustery and the temperature cool. Winter was on its way out, but the benefits of spring were not to be felt this morning.

In William’s office, he sat behind his desk, with Alex, Ivy and Lawrence facing him. Four cups of coffee sat on a tray on his desk, steam rising towards the ceiling. The secretary who had brought their drinks closed the door quietly behind her, leaving them to discuss their business.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy thanks the secretary and settles in her seat. When asked, she’ll outline what she’s learned.

“So, what have we discovered?” she asks.
OOC,Post amended. One of these days I'll learn to read them properly before posting!
Last edited by jp1885 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,I’ve had you all meet in [b]William’s[/b] office. [b]Fraser[/b] isn’t there.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"I passed by the addresses on my way home yesterday evening: Mrs. Galvin's house is barren, not a soul living there; I saw Kirwan at his house through a window, but nothing else there of note; I didn't catch sight of the Noroians, but I did hear their baby crying inside."
Lawrence recounts the rather mundane things he saw, after which he picks up a cup of coffee and takes a quaff from it.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”