Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Ch. 11. Paper and Ink

Post by jp1885 »

One last gambit before she reports to the others, Ivy tries Mrs. Galvin’s number: perhaps there is a relative still living at the address?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy,[b]Ivy[/b] phoned the operator once more but when she tried to connect the call the operator advised that the number was no longer in service.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Last of the Ivy spam for now!  
Ivy returns to the others, explaining how she has found three telephone numbers including the digits on the cloth: that of Mr. Kirwan, a retired cop who met Fraser once or twice and didn’t seem to bear him a grudge, Mr. Noroian, a married man who had never heard of Fraser, and the late Mrs. Galvin, who died three years ago and whose number has been discontinued.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

By the time Ivy joined them, the afternoon was coming to an end. The clock in the office chimed five ‘o’ clock and elsewhere in the office, staff could be heard wishing each other a pleasant evening before they left for home. After a few minutes, it was quiet again.
OOC,Actions, enquiries, points of discussion?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I suppose the next order of inquiry would be looking into young woman who previously worked for Mr. Fraser, specifically as either maids or perhaps even a home nurse. One of them may bear him a grudge. Although, if our suspect is less educated I have a hard time figuring out how she put together whatever concoction caused such an adverse reaction in the butler and I."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, it seems highly likely that a girl wrote this poison pen letter," says William, "possibly a nurse or a maid judging from the type of cloth. I'd lean more toward a nurse, as the one behind this seems to have a specialized kind of knowledge. On the other hand, she could very well be too young to have a profession from the handwriting analysis. Perhaps she is not behind this alone. If she's uneducated, she likely does not have the knowledge of poisons herself, but who would help her do this?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Perhaps the three people I called have (or had) daughters or staff. I shall look into it if you wish.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, please do," says William. "Is there anything I can do to help with that process?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'll speak with Mr. Fraser, determine if he had any former employees he had a failing out with."
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"I've got an idea: what if the numbers on the cloth weren't a phone number? It'd be strange to leave that on a letter meant to kill or harm, considering that it was probably meant to be anonymous, and it'd certainly explain why none of those people knew Mr. Fraser very well." Lawrence interjects, having come to an important realization of his own after some contemplation. That number certainly had to have some kind of significance, but what?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“You may very well be right young man, but we should leave no stone unturned,” Ivy says to Lawrence.

She nods at William. “If you could assist me in cross-referencing the telephone numbers with addresses. Then we find out who lives at each one - between us we should be able to discover that.” She includes the detective in this statement.
Last edited by jp1885 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,As I understand it, US census data is protected by the ‘72 year rule’: https://www.census.gov/history/www/genealogy/decennial_census_records/the_72_year_rule_1.html I’m not sure if the same rules were in place in 1930 but I think it’s a fairly good bet.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Ah, that scuppers my idea somewhat! I’ll edit my post with something else.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,The White Pages (phone book) will have addresses. People are alphabetically listed so it won’t take long to find their addresses.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,That’ll do then :)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

William fetched a copy of the White Pages from the secretaries’ office and it was a matter of a few minutes’ work to find the addresses that matched the numbers:

3-3235 Galvin, Roxana (Mrs) 507 Pickman Street, Arkham
5-3235 Kirwan, Arthur P. 170 South Powder Mill Street, Arkham
6-3235 Noroian, John 205 Federal Street, Arkham

The clock in the office chimed the half-hour.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Those are the names I found," says William. "Only one is a woman, and if she's married, she's probably not young enough, though she could have a daughter. Interesting that she has a listing, but her husband doesn't. She could be a widow, or divorced. Let's run these names by Mr. Fraser and see if any of them are familiar to him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Mrs. Galvin is deceased, and her number has evidently been discontinued. She definitely could have some living family, however." Lawrence points out. "If she proves to have a connection to Fraser, we should take a look into them."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Perhaps you could consult the police records Detective?" Ivy asks Alexander. "And it wouldn't hurt if we happened to be walking past each address by way of our daily exercise."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Sure," Alex nods in agreement. "I can do that. I'll look them up and see if any of the names have anything of interest that stands out."

Return to “Servants of the Lake”