Page 1 of 1

Ch.8 Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
Sunday, March 2nd, 1930 12.00noon.
South Central Station, Dewey Square, Boston, Mass.

It already felt like a long day by the time the four men reached South Central Station. They had arisen, packed, and met at the offices of E.E. Saltonstall promptly at 10.30am. Without ceremony, the contract drafted by William was inspected, signed, and an envelope handed over. Inside it was the original $200, plus another $75 for incidental expenses, with a notebook so such expenses could be recorded.

Half an hour later, they were back on the street again, and a cab was hailed to take them to the station. When they arrived, the midday train was already stood ready at the platform, smoke rising from the smokestack as the crew stoked the engine and prepared to leave. A porter took their cases from the cab and stacked them onto a trolley, before following the four men onto the platform.

First port of call was the guard’s van where their gun cases were handed over and locked away. The porter then showed them to their carriage - second class - and helped them stow their cases on the overhead luggage rack.

As the whistle sounded and the carriage shuffled on its buffers as the train edged forward, the train conductor checked their tickets and explained the arrangements for the buffet car.

The men were sat in a small, wooden backed cubicle that afforded them some privacy if they wished to talk.
OOC - Travel Arrangements,As previously mentioned, the journey will take three days. It will be a mix of local and long-distance trains. Let me know if there is anything you wish to do en route.

Re: Ch.8 Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I would have wanted to bring a knife too.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK, that’s no problem.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
"Where shall we start?" asks Howard.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Public records," says William. "We know the last name they're using, and we know they've opened a hotel somewhere in Louisiana sometime between the end of October and the end of February. There has to be a record of their purchase of the property and probably of them registering as a business."

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:48 am
by HoneyDog
"But will the records office in Baton Rouge cover the whole state?" asks Howard. He has a thought.

"Maybe there's some kind of hotel licensing register."

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 am
by Bullfrog
"Failing all else, we could just ask around the city." says Lawrence, "Though it's best we keep that as a last resort. We haven't got all of eternity to find James. Now that I think of it, if I recall correctly, you found a flyer for the new hotel over at Squatter's Lake. There might be some information on it, but I could just be wrong."

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 am
by HoneyDog
Howard looks out of the window.

"It just had the name of the new place, Brown's. I think we can assume it's next to a lake somewhere, but to my knowledge, Louisiana isn't exactly short of lakes."

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:09 am
by Bullfrog
"The way I see it, checking the records is the best plan we have at the moment. We're looking for a needle in a haystack, at best, and we'll need whatever effective plan we can think of." states Lawrence, "We'll also need a plan of what we'll do when we actually find the hotel, but I think we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard shrugs his shoulders.

"Yeah, you're right. Let's just make sure we get paid" he says, without removing his gaze from the window.
OOC:   Shall we move on to our destination?  

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Baton Rouge is Louisiana's capital," says William, "so they should have records for the whole state."
OOC,Yes, I'm ready.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 am
by Bullfrog
ooc,ready as I'll ever be

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
Wednesday March 5th, 1930 10.45am
Baton Rouge Train Station, 100 South River Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Three uneventful days have passed since the four men left Boston, punctuated only by the need to change trains and, for the last 12 hours at least, the lack of any real comfort.

Although early in the year, they noticed as they climbed from the train that Louisiana was considerably warmer than Boston and they are soon perspiring in their winter clothes. As they loosened ties and removed jackets, a porter helped them to retrieve their luggage and guided them to the front of the station, where he whistled up a cab to take them into town.

An old but clean automobile rolled to a stop in front of them, almost as soon as the porter’s whistle had died away. A young black man hopped out of the car and started bustling about, putting cases in the boot. “Ma name is Oscar,” he said by of introduction. “Where you gennelmen at? Have y’all got somewhere to stay?”

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard is used to the dry desert heat of his native Arizona, not this humidity. He wipes his forehead with a handkerchief.

Regarding their would-be helper with some trepidation, he answers “I take it you have somewhere in mind, Mr. Oscar?”

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:13 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar laughed. “Ah’m sure you gennelmen would think that ah was failing in ma duties if ah didn’t!”

“Now, depending what you wants to do while you’re here, ah’ve got a whole range o’ places that might suit you. Ah can take you to some fine God-fearing, Christian-worshipping establishments with prayers said afore meals and bedtime, or ah can take you to some more ‘down to earth’ places, where everyone’s a bit more relaxed and friendly-like? ”

He finished putting their cases in the trunk and stood waiting for an answer.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
"How much are you asking for your services, Mr. Oscar?" asks Howard.

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 am
by Philulhu
”Well, your cab fare is a city-mandated 30c per mile,” replied Oscar, ”But what you pays for accommodation is entirely up to you. Ah guess you ain’t looking for a flophouse and by the looks of you, you ain’t just here for an overnight stay. Ah knows of a boarding house run by a missus Sykes, she’s got rooms available and she don’t charge anymore than two dollars a night.”

“How does that suit you?”

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:19 pm
by HoneyDog
"Sounds okay, I guess" Howard replies. "Would you be offering your services as a driver too?"

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 pm
by Philulhu
”How does five dollars per day, plus mileage, sound to you gennelmen?” said Oskar, after a moment’s thought. ”Ah can run you around just about anywheres you want to go for that.”

He looked at the four men. ”Do we have a deal?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"That does sound like a lot," says William, "but I think I can afford it, and your services are worth paying for."

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:39 am
by Philulhu
Oscar flashed a grin and bowed theatrically. ”If you gennelmen want to get on board, then we’ll be on our way.”

As the four men squeezed themselves into Oscar’s car as he made one last check that he’d picked up all their bags. That done, he climbed into the driver’s seat and set off towards town. The journey took around 20 minutes, which Oscar filled with chatter about Baton Rouge, his family and anything else that caught his attention.

Missus Sykes’ lodging house turned out to be a large Victorian-style house, sat on a corner plot. ”Missus Sykes and her husband inherited this from some dead relative. She runs this as a lodging house while her husband’s a travelling salesman, so you might not see him much,” said Oscar, conversationally.

Missus Sykes turned out to be a neatly dressed, dark haired woman in her early thirties, who quickly sorted out rooms - two shared - and with Oscar’s help, soon had luggage stored away. She raised an eyebrow at the gun cases, but said nothing other than to ask that the cases remain locked while in the house and kept out of sight in the wardrobes.

By the time they were done, it was approaching 1.00pm. Oscar leant on the boot of his car, smoking a cigarette, as they emerged again. ”Where to first, gennelmen?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
"The Town Hall?" enquires Howard. "We need to look up some public records."

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, please," says William. "We need to look up real estate transactions, business licensing, that sort of thing."

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 am
by Philulhu
”You want the Castle,” replied Oscar. Noticing the blank looks he got in return, he explained. ”That’s what the local folk calls the State House, on account of its appearance. Ah’ll show you - hop in...”

A short drive later, the car pulled up in front of an imposing, whitewashed building, set in extensive grounds. ”Ah understand that the builder wanted something a little diff’rent,” said Oscar wryly, as he got out the car and opened the doors for the others to get out.

Inside the building was bright, cool and quiet. Half a dozen desks were arrayed at the far end of the entrance lobby, but only one was occupied. As they approached, the occupant looked up. He was a middle-aged man, smartly dressed with his greying hair slicked back. He looked over his glasses, glanced at the clock, and said, ”Good morning, gentlemen. How may I be of assistance?”

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
"Hello Sir" says Howard amiably. "Can I ask, do hotels and guesthouses require registration with your office?"

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 pm
by Philulhu
”They do,” replied the clerk. ”What is the address of the establishment?”

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 pm
by peper757
"Unfortunately," Thomas begins, "we only know of this place by name. A "Brown's Hotel", and apparently it was only established quite recently. We were hoping that you might be able to help us find the address."

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 am
by Philulhu
”Brown’s Hotel, eh? Not an uncommon name...” said the clerk, who drummed his fingers on the desk as if in thought. ”Please take a seat and I’ll go see what I can find...”

Fifteen minutes later, he returned with three ribbon-tied files in his hand. ”I’ve got three establishments of that name,” he said. ”Feel free to use the reading desks over there to look at the files and return them to me when you’re done.”

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William, taking a seat at a reading desk and looking through the files.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence sat in a nearby desk, just pondering the situation. He would have never thought that he would be caught up in events like this, but here he is, in New Orleans, tracking down a hotel. "Say, William, can I read over one of those files? I imagine we'd get this done faster with more people on it, but then again, you're more qualified for this." said Lawrence.
Ooc,I apologize for my absence

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course," says William, spreading out the files. "I'm glad to have the help."

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 am
by peper757
While the others are going through the documents, Thomas takes some time to look around the State House.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 pm
by Philulhu
While Thomas admired the cool marble interior of the State House and portraits of long-dead civic worthies, Lawrence and William untied the bundles of conveyance documents.

With William’s practiced eye, they made quick work of it. Two of the bundles were for properties that had been purchased more than five years previously, but the date of conveyance in the third one was late November of the previous year, not much less than a month after the events at Squatter’s Lake.

The property was located in the far south of Louisiana, in Pointe-aux-Chênes. Tucked in the amongst the papers were details of the property, which described a Victorian-era guest house, in need of some renovation. It was noted that the property had its own land, outhouses and backed onto the bayous...

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"This must be the one," says William. "Let's get some floor plans of the place. I expect they'll have dug tunnels underneath it by now."

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:43 pm
by Philulhu
William searched through the thick file and tucked under a flap at the back were the floor plans.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I can't see the image. The link does take me to another page, but the picture there is not very detailed, and clicking on it to try to enlarge it brings up a login window.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:02 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Perhaps you need a Pinterest account? I’m not sure why the last two images haven’t posted correctly. I could try copying them over to my Photobucket account but then they watermark the images :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, that sounds like a good option, and I don't mind the watermarks. Alternatively, you can attach them to your post here. The Upload attachment tab below the text box where you post replies allows you to do that. I'd rather not create a Pinterest account.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:57 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Images sorted! :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 am
by peper757
"Looks like there's a cellar on the plans; I imagine that's where anything of much interest would be hidden away." Thomas says, having walked back over to the others.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
"Let's take a look" says Howard. "We'd better get the guns" he whispers, taking a sidelong glance at the clerk.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 pm
by Philulhu
There was no sign that the clerk had overheard their conversation.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now that we've found it," says William, "should we notify the Louisiana State Police? These are wanted fugitives from Massachusetts, after all." He examines the photographs to see if the building matches the one in the flyer.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:23 am
by Philulhu
The flyer was crumpled and mud-stained but the house behind the Brodie/Brown brothers looked very similar to the elevation drawings in the plans.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
"It looks like a match" says Howard. He looks uncomfortable. "We could tell the police, but they don't know what they're dealing with, do they? And we can't tell them the truth."

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:46 am
by Bullfrog
"I say we tell the police first, and take action as a last resort. Don't forget that they can't just barge in without evidence, so we'll need that as well. saidLawrence, his voice lowered so as not to catch the clerk's attention.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:06 pm
by peper757
"Let's tell the police, and we should probably send a message back to Captain Keats as well, although I'm sure he won't be able to do much to help." Thomas says.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says William. "That's the best course of action. We'll have to be careful when we actually go there, as the culprits will recognize us from last year. If they spot us, they could disappear again."

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 am
by Philulhu
OOC - Actions,Having decided to approach the Police, you have the option to contact the Baton Rouge PD or approach the PD local to Brown’s Hotel. Let me know what you’d like to do.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
"We should confirm that they're actually there" whispers Howard. "If we get the police involved in a wild goose chase, they won't take us seriously again."

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
Rather than detract from what they were doing, the whispered conversation only seemed to attract the attention of the clerk.

”Is there something I can help you with, gentlemen?” he asked, as he looked in their direction.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, is there any way to make a copy of this document here?" asks William. "Or, failing that, may we photograph it?"
OOC,The local Baton Rouge police would have no jurisdiction, but I was thinking we'd go to the Louisiana State Police, who would probably be headquartered in Baton Rouge. They could in turn contact the Massachusetts State Police for more information about what happened at Squatters Lake if they don't want to take our word for it. Are the full names that the "[b]Brown[/b]s" are using in the documents, and do they match the ones in the flyer?

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 am
by Philulhu
The clerk left his desk and walked over to where the men were sat at the table. He looked at the plans, then picked up the property file and carefully turned the pages. After a moment, he said, ”The copyright has expired so that doesn’t present an issue in terms of copying the plans. We don’t have the facility the copy anything this size, as plans are drawn by hand. Depending upon the level of detail you require, a draftsman might reproduce those for you, but I would not like to speculate as to how much that might cost..”

“If you just want a copy for reference purposes, then you are welcome to take photographs. Alternatively, you are welcome to borrow a pencil and some paper, if you merely wish to make some sketches?”

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 pm
by HoneyDog
"I can handle this" declares Howard, eager to show off his artistic talents. Despite being a more of a painter than a sketch artist, he attempts to copy the plans.
Art,Art 75: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/743293]Art[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]15[/b]

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:58 pm
by Philulhu
While the others watched on, with the borrowed paper and pencil Howard dashed off a copy of the floor plans of the house.

The clerk looked over his shoulder and nodded appreciatively. ”Very good, young sir. I doubt you could build a house from your drawing but it would certainly be a place to start.”

”Is there anything else I can help you with today?”
OOC - Howard,You tick off that skill for using it successfully.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:22 pm
by peper757
"I should think that is everything, thank you." Thomas says with a smile. "This will be quite helpful."
OOC,The State Police would probably be a good bet.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:11 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - The “Browns”,Sorry, I missed this earlier. The names on the deeds are William and Robert Brown.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says William, "you've been a great help. We found what we need."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:26 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar was stood by the car, smoking a cigarette while he chatted up a young woman who was passing with a baby carriage. He flicked away the cigarette and straightened up as the four men approached.

He smiled at the girl as she moved away and said, ”Where to, gennelmen?,”

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Oscar," says William. "We'd like to go to the Louisiana State Police headquarters, please."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:27 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar raised a questioning eyebrow but said nothing as he opened the car doors to let the men in.

Ten minutes later they were turning onto South Foster Drive. Oscar pulled over to the kerb, stooped the engine and turned around in his seat to address them. ”If you don’t mind, ah’m going to park here,” he said. ”Some of those cops can get a might... over-enthusiastic... when they see a black man driving his own car. Ah’ll be waiting for you here when you’re done...”

The headquarters of the Louisiana State Police was a large red brick building, halfway down South Foster Drive. There was a steady stream of people going in and out the front door and the entrance hall was a hive of activity. Local and State Police came and went, with a couple of apprehendees taken down to cells as they waited to be seen.

Eventually, the Police sergeant at the main desk beckoned them forward. A stocky, well-set man who appeared to be approaching retirement age, he looked them up and down and said, “Out of towners, eh? I can tell by your clothes! What can I do for you, young sirs? Cabby driven off with your luggage? No clean sheets at your hotel?” He laughed at his own joke while he waited for a reply.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, Sergeant, I'm afraid it's much more serious than that," says William Preston. "You're right that we are from out of town, though. My name is William Preston, and my friends and I are from Massachusetts. A few months back there were some serious crimes committed there, including kidnapping and murder. They were committed by a couple of men running a hotel at a place called Squatters' Lake. The Massachusetts State Police can confirm all the details. We've managed to track these fugitives down to Louisiana, more specifically to a hotel they've opened up called 'Brown's Hotel.' It's located in Pointe-aux-Chênes, far to the south. They're operating under the names of William and Robert Brown."

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am
by Philulhu
The sergeant reached below the desk, pulled out a notepad and started taking notes. He recorded William’s name and that of the others, and jotted down the the names of William and Robert Brown/Brodie.

”Murder and kidnapping, you said?” as he wrote. ”And you look like private citizens to me. So what’s your involvement in this?
OOC - Mr. Handy,It was the Arkham PD you were dealing with.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 pm
by HoneyDog
"They were involved in the kidnapping of a mutual friend of ours. His father tasked us to help locate him" replies Howard.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:52 pm
by Philulhu
The sergeant nodded as he wrote. He asked for the name and a description of their kidnapped friend and ascertained that he was still missing. He took the name of Captain Keats at Arkham PD, and added that to his note. He passed it behind him to a passing patrolman with instructions to make some telephone calls.

”Thank you, gentlemen,” he said. ”We have the address of where you are staying so we will be in touch if we find anything.” He nodded and then looked past them to the next person in the queue.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sergeant," says William. "Be very careful, they're extremely dangerous, and they've already pulled up stakes once when they realized they were under suspicion. Is there anything else we can do to help? We'd recognize these men if we saw them again. Of course, they'd also recognize us."

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 pm
by Philulhu
The sergeant’s eyes flicked back to William. ”We’ll ask the local PD to run past and see who’s there. If there’s someone there and we need you to take a look then we’ll be in touch.” He looked back to next person in the queue, indicating that the conversation was over.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:03 am
by HoneyDog
"We're wasting our time here" Howard mutters in William's ear. "Let's drive down and visit the PD ourselves."

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods and prepares to leave.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:36 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I’ll wait for Peper757 and Bullfrog to chip in before we move on.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:41 am
by Bullfrog
"Well, now that we've got this over with, what next?" said Lawrence, quizzically. He wasn't particularly confident in the state police, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to go speak with the local force.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:23 pm
by peper757
”I’m not sure that he was entirely convinced. Well, perhaps we should call it a day, and we can head down to Pointe-aux-Chênes in the morning. I’d like to write this letter when we go back to the lodging house anyway.” Thomas says to the others.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:40 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar had obviously been looking out for them as they emerged from the Police Station, as he was pulling up at the kerb not 30 seconds later. He studiously avoided the gaze of a loitering trooper as they climbed into the car, and was on his way as quick as they settled into their seats.

”Where to next, gennelmen?,” he asked. He smiled over his shoulder and followed up with, ”You do know that there's more to this town than State House and the State Police, don’t you? Too much work makes Jack a dull boy, ain’t that right?”

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds good to me, Oscar," says William. "Where would you recommend?"

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am
by Philulhu
Oscar glanced at his watch. It was approaching 3pm. ”Well... ah reckon it’s a bit early to being looking for a juke joint,” he grinned. ”But Baton Rouge has some beautiful parks, if that’s your bag?”

”What are plans, gennelmen?,” he asked. ”You planning on staying around Baton Rouge for a few more days?”

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
"We plan to head to Pointe-aux-Chenes tomorrow morning" says Howard. "Can you take us there? Do you know anything about the place?"

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:51 pm
by Philulhu
”Pont-o-Chain?” said Oscar. ”Ah don’t think ah’ve ever heard of that. That down in Cajun country? It sounds French.”

He pulled the car over to the side of the road and took a travel atlas from the his seat pocket. He flipped back and forth, checking the index and comparing the map, until he found its location, down in the bayous. ”Ah ain’t never been down that way before but ah can drive you. Ah reckon that’s a hundred miles so you’re looking at four hours either way, allowing for a break. Are you thinking about going there and back in one day?”

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:44 pm
by peper757
Thomas suggests that "We could be there for a couple of days, depending on what we find while we're down there. We're looking for the people running a particular place.".

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:14 am
by Bullfrog
"Say, Oscar, what other kinds of places can we find around here, aside from juke joints and parks and such?" inquired Lawrence, curious.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am
by Philulhu
”A couple of days? Ah need to think about where ah can stay. We’ll find a boarding house for you gennelmen but most houses ain’t open to the likes of me!” said Oscar, with a concerned look on his face.

He looked over to Lawrence. ”That depends on what sorts of places you wants to see. If you’re wanting to catch up with the news, the library will have had the afternoon editions by now, or you could go for a stroll down by the river and there’s Elk’s Theater on Third Street, but that don’t open until later tonight. There’s the Knights of Columbus Hall too, but ah don’t reckon we’d here having this conversation if that was your bag.”

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like to visit the library," says William. In addition to the newspapers, he'd like to do some background research into the place where they're going.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 pm
by HoneyDog
”"I'll join you" says Howard.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 pm
by Philulhu
Wednesday March 5th, 1930 3.20pm
Hill Memorial Library, 95 Field House Drive, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The Hill Memorial Library sat in the midst of the Louisiana State University, in a modern renaissance-style building with yellow-white stucco walls. Inside, everything was still new, with large windows to allow light into the room. Floor to ceiling bookcases contained the library’s collection.

The main reading room was busy, with smartly attired students - mostly male, but some female too - sat studying at the desks. The librarian at the front desk explained they were welcome to use the library, but not being members, they could not remove any of the reading materials. He pointed them in the direction of the newspaper archive and local history sections, he explained that they had about two hours until the library closed for the evening.
OOC - Library Use,Can you specify what you’re looking for and let me have a Library Use roll?

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 am
by peper757
Thomas isn't accustomed to spending much time in libraries, so decides to stick to the newspaper archive and look for any references to the hotel.
Library Use (25%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

William peruses the local history section, looking into the history of Pointe-aux-Chenes to see if there's anything there that could have drawn the fugitives they're chasing such as the lake, or if there have been any unusual happenings there.
OOC,Library Use roll (55% skill) researching the history of Pointe-aux-Chenes: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:55 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence joins Thomas in the newspaper archives, looking for anything on any recent disappearances.
Library Use 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:58 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard also searches newspaper archives for disappearances, especially in the vicinity of the parish where Point-aux-Chene is located.
Library Use,Library Use 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/745354]Library Use[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]33[/b]

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 am
by Philulhu
Two hours had passed and shadows were starting to fall across the Library before the four men met up again, gathered around one of the larger desks to share what they had found.

Thomas produced an advertorial from The Morning Advocate - Baton Rouge’s daily newspaper - for Brown’s Motel shows the picture of William and Robert, standing in front of a large Victorian house. The advertorial states that they will open for business in early March, and plan to offer fishing trips and tours of the Bayou. It didn’t tell them much more than they already knew from the flyer.

William had found some limited information about Pointe-Aux-Chenes in amongst a series of pamphlets about local towns.

Pointe-aux-Chenes is a Indian settlement in the Terrebonne Parish, first settled in the 1700s. It is home to approximately thirty families, primarily Houma and Chitimacha Indians but also Atakapas, Biloxi and Choctaw. The predominant languages are a mixture of Creole and French, although some English is also spoken.

Pointe-aux-Chenes got its name from the Acadians who named the area after the beautiful oak trees that were growing in the area when it was first settled. The villagers support themselves as farmers, fishermen and hunters, although farming is under threat because of encroachment of water into the area. Traditional hand-crafted items are available to purchase.

A large sugar plantation once occupied much of the area, but all that remains is the owner’s house, a Victorian dwelling in need of renovation. Lobbying for Federal support to build a levee to control the water has not been successful. The majority of dwellings in the village are built on stilts as protection against the tidal waters.

The villagers are predominantly Roman Catholic and the building of a church has recently commenced, although there is some evidence that traditional religious practices are also observed. The local Treateur is still consulted by villagers when they are ill, with the primary method of treatment being the laying on of hands, accompanied by prayer and healing herbs.

The mention of the Chitimacha Indians sent Howard back to searching through the back issues of the ‘Advocate. A short article about research into traditional Indian practices had caught his eye. He returned promptly and laid the newspaper on the desk and pointed out the article to the others, “... the Chitimacha revere snakes, worshipping the Father of Serpents, who will revenge himself upon anyone who harms any of his scaled brethren...”

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Snakes," says William. "Maybe our quarry is taking up snake worship now. I don't like snakes much, but they're preferable to that thing in Squatters Lake. At least it doesn't look like they've killed anyone yet, but they're about to open for business."

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:32 am
by HoneyDog
“Perhaps it isn’t really a snake, but the same as that thing back at Squatter’s Lake. They couldn’t have brought it with them, so they relocated where they could find another, maybe. But I would guess that they’re going to get up to exactly the same nonsense as they were before, so we’d better put them out of business before they get started.”

Howard has a steely glint in his eye.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 am
by peper757
Agreed! Thomas says, looking towards Howard. "And the sooner we do something about them, the more likely we are to prevent anybody else from being taken by them."

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
The tinkling of a bell from the front desk indicated that the library would soon be closed. Students finished their studies and rose from their desks as library staff bustled around, quietly and efficiently, tidying up before they to would head home.

The four young men were among the last to leave and Oscar was waiting for them as they left. He drove them back to their lodging house and dropped them at the kerb. ”Ah’ll see you gennelmen in the morning, just after breakfast,” he said. He bid them a good evening, and drove off in the direction of downtown.
OOC,Anything else you want to do before moving on?

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:47 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No. Let's get on with the action!

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm ready to move on too.

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 am
by Bullfrog
ooc,Let's do this, boys.

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 am
by Philulhu
Thursday March 6th, 1930 1.20pm
Pointes-aux-Chenes Road, Pointes-aux-Chenes, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana

It had been an early start, the four young men having barely finished breakfast before Oscar appeared at the door. Mrs Sykes would keep their rooms for them and they expected to be back in a couple of days, so they had packed light.

She had fussed around them like a mother hen, checking they had everything they needed before presenting them with a wicker picnic basket with sandwiches wrapped in parchment paper for their journey. As William and Howard stood in the morning sunshine, it felt almost like a Tom Sawyer moment, as if they were on a voyage of exploration. At least it did until Thomas and Lawrence emerged from the boarding house carrying the gun cases. As they packed them in the trunk, a sober realisation of what they were about to do dispelled any good feeling they had.

The drive south was steady, although the temperature and humidity rose steadily the further they went. Jackets and collars were soon discarded, with the breeze through the windows doing little to disperse the heat. Oscar kept his on though, explaining the police were less likely to stop them that way.

After three hours, they passed through Terrebonne, the last town before Pointes-aux-Chenes. It wasn’t much more than a Main Street with a town hall, police station and a handful of stores. People had turned to look as those drove through, as if strangers were a rarity in the town. More blacks and creoles were on the streets and more entrenched views were obvious too, with ‘Whites Only’ signs visible on park benches and public facilities as they moved slowly through the town.

Beyond Terrebonne, the vista changed as solid land gave way to the bayou that led all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico. Tall cypress trees, their roots below water towered alongside the road. Spanish moss draped from their branches gave an eerie feeling of partially-clad beings, lined up and waiting for the order to march.

Not far out of town, the road surface changed from bitumen to gravel and the crunching noise from the tyres put paid to any attempts at conversation. They passed a couple of men driving a cart north towards Terrebonne, but other than the farm and fishing signs pointing off the road down dark tracks, there was no other signs of humanity.

Ten more minutes had gone by before they saw the freshly painted sign by the side of the road. Oscar let the car come to a halt by the “Brown’s motel” sign, which pointed down a sun-dappled path, flanked by the ubiquitous cypress trees. The tall house they recognised from the plans sat bathed in sunlight at the end.

Oscar turned off the engine, and the croaking sound of frogs and buzzing of insects filled the air. “Is that it?” asked Oscar, as he looked down the path. “Is that the place you’re looking for?”

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
When he sees the sign Howard gives an involuntary start. It seems so brazen, somehow, just displayed for all to see.

Clearing his throat, he says “Could you fellows step out for a moment? We need to discuss something.”

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 pm
by peper757
Thomas steps out of the car, keeping his gaze fixed on the house. "Well, we seem to have found the place. What are we going to do? Obviously, we probably shouldn't just go up to the front."

He takes another long look at the house, waiting to see if anybody is coming or going.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

William also gets out of the car. "We'll want to talk to the locals about the place," he says. "They may have seen things."
OOC,I would have liked to check in with the local police in Terrebonne on the way here, unless we know that Pointe-aux-Chenes has its own police.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 am
by Bullfrog
"Good thinking, William. We'll need all the information we can get for this." said Lawrence, after exiting the car. On the outside, he was calm and composed, but he had a feeling of dread for what was going to happen most likely later today.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am
by Philulhu
OOC,From the description of the settlement of Pointes-aux-Chenes (30 households) it’s probably safe to assume that it isn’t big enough to have its own Police station. Terrebonne is the nearest town.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm
by peper757
"Well, we could take a look around here, see if we can find anybody who will answer our questions." Thomas adds.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
“Look” says Howard. “Why don’t we just level with Oscar. Tell him why we’re here, but leave out the monster part for now. Ask him just to drive to the house and confirm if those two old bastards are there, and get the hell back. If we show our faces around town, people will remember us.”

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think you're right," says William.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:30 am
by Philulhu
Oscar had stepped out of the car for a cigarette. He heard his name mentioned by Howard and glanced across the roof of his car with a quizzical look on his face.
OOC,For clarity, Oscar heard his name mentioned but is waiting for someone to tell him what they want him to do.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:26 pm
by peper757
"Hey Oscar, come over here, we need you to do something for us."" Thomas pauses for a second before continuing.

"The real reason that we're here is that we're looking for a couple of guys, and we think that they run that hotel over there. Trouble is, they'd recognise us and we want to have an advantage over them. Do you think you could head over to the hotel and see if they're around? They're both older gentlemen, and one's in a wheelchair. Once you find them you can come straight back to us."

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:37 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar pinched out his cigarette and strolled around the car. He opened the trunk and fished out a fuel can and a chauffeur’s cap.

He set the cap on his head and said, ”Ah’ll tell them my master’s running out of gas. They’re more likely to help if it’s a white guy in distress.” Laughing to himself, he tipped his cap to his passengers and then walked smartly down the track towards the house.

As they watched from behind the trees, Oscar strode up to the front door and knocked briskly. A minute or so passed without answer so he knocked again. As he waited, Oscar craned his neck left and right, as if trying to see if there was any movement inside. They were too far away to tell whether or not he had heard anything but he suddenly turned to the left and started to walk around towards the back of the house. He disappeared from viewing, swinging his gas can as he went.

The four men waited. A minute passed, then two. It was starting to look as if Oscar wasn’t coming back...

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better go see what's keeping him," says William. "Let's approach carefully, in case they're back there, so they don't see us."

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
"It's only been a couple of minutes" says Howard urgently. "Give him more time. Let's get the guns ready though."

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 am
by Bullfrog
"I would have to agree with Howard. Let's give him a few more minutes. In the meantime, we ready the guns." said Lawrence.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says William, helping to get the guns ready.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 am
by peper757
Thomas gives his gun a quick check over, before saying to the others "Let's give him five minutes, and then we'll go help him.".

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:19 pm
by Philulhu
Five minutes had passed and nothing stirred in the direction of the house. With some reluctance, the four men set off down the path, between the cypress trees and the water that lapped gently at the edges. The croaking of the frogs almost drowned out the sound of their feet on the gravel path. Almost, but not quite.

It was a short walk of no more than a couple of hundred yards before the path opened out to a wider area in front of the house, presumably parking for any poor unfortunates who made the mistake of planning to stay there. The house looked freshly painted and there was a wooden bench bathed in sunshine on the veranda. From closer up, they could see that the windows were all shuttered on the inside.

The frogs continued to croak, but from the house there was nothing but silence.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:13 am
by Bullfrog
"How are we gonna get in? I assume there's a back door, somewhere." inquired Lawrence, in a whisper. He had readied his gun like the others.
Ooc,I assume we have that non-firearm equipment we specified, as well?

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
"Remember Squatter's Lake?" says Howard. "They did whatever they did to their victims in a shack. I'm going to look for any outbuildings."

He sets off, weapon ready.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

William follows him, shotgun in his hands and pistol on his belt. "It's less likely they've dug secret tunnels too, not here in the bayou," he says. "They'd get flooded. Let's see if there are any footprints around." He takes a good look.
OOC,Track roll (10% base skill) behind the hotel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am
by Philulhu
The four men turned to the left and followed the route taken by Oscar. The water was less than a dozen yards away from the house at any one point. A low chainlink fence stretched across the grass and into the water, which suggested that the water was encroaching on the plot upon which the house stood. Normally, no-one would think of buying such a plot, but they all knew what ties the brothers had to the water.

Like the front of the house, the windows were shuttered from the cellar to the roof. They carefully rounded the back of the house and found a low brick wall to their immediate right with steps leading down. Oscar’s gas can was at the foot of the wall. Its owner was lying face-down at the bottom of a short flight of stone steps, with blood glinting in his curly black hair... ...
OOC,Yes, I’m assuming you have the equipment previously requested. Can I have a Track or Spot Hidden roll? Except you, Mr Handy, as you have already tried. There’s a plan of the house in the Maps thread, should you need it.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 am
by Bullfrog
spot hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence looks the scene over in utter silence.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:32 am
by HoneyDog
Howard is overcome with anger.

"Those bastards" he hisses. "I'm going to kill them."
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/748141]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]90[/b]

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I hadn't known rolling Spot Hidden was an option, or I'd have done that instead. I thought I had to roll Track to find tracks. Could my roll count as a Spot Hidden roll instead?

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 am
by Philulhu
Mr. Handy,Track was a legitimate option as there was more than one thing you could have found.
For information, this is the view over the bayou to the rear of the property.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am
by peper757
Thomas quickly moves down the steps and over to Oscar, checking his injuries and for any signs of life.
Spot Hidden (55%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar was out cold. Thomas surmised that it was a blow to the back of his head that had done the damage. It had bled heavily, as scalp wounds often would, but the blood was now starting to congeal. Thomas had seen similar injuries before when patrolling the streets of Arkham and he didn’t think that there would be any lasting damage. Oscar would have a sore head and some bruising but probably nothing more. Probably.

As Thomas turned to look back to report on Oscar’s condition, he noticed that the door at the bottom of the stairs had been tampered with. It looked as if it had been forced open but someone had tried to disguise the damaged woodwork, so that a casual observer would think the door was still secure.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence heads down the stairs, as Thomas did.

"You think I should take him back to the car?" he said in a whisper, gesturing towards Oscar.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:51 am
by HoneyDog
"Maybe we should try to revive him" says Howard. "He might be able to tell us what happened".

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

William kneels beside Oscar and tries to bring him around.
OOC,First Aid roll (50% skill) to revive [b]Oscar[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm
by peper757
”It looks like the door here has been forced open!” Thomas says to the others, before taking a look inside.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:26 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar’s eyes flickered open and he stared at William uncomprehendingly. He looked around at the others and raised his hand to the back of his head. He winced as he touched the area where he had been hit and looked at the blood on his fingers with bewilderment.

”What happened?” he asked. ”Did ah fall and bang ma head?”

Behind where Oscar lay, Thomas had pushed open the door. Beyond was a cellar under the house. It was difficult to see how far it went as it was dark, and the space looked to be at least partially partitioned off.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
"Did you see anyone, Oscar?" asks Howard urgently. "Why did you come back here?"

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know what happened, Oscar," says William. "When you didn't come back after a while, we came looking for you and found you here. I was hoping you could tell us what happened."

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar tried to sit up but the colour drained from his face almost immediately and he was forced to lie back again. ”Ah heard a noise back here, so’s ah came to take a look,” he said. ”The door was open so ah came down the steps... and the next thing ah know, ah’m talking to you... ...”

He touched the back of his head again, carefully examining the bump that was growing there. ”Ah guess someone hit me on the head but ah didn’t see nobody.”

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever did it must have come up behind you," says William. "He probably didn't want you looking inside."

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:10 pm
by HoneyDog
"Maybe it's time for us to go in" says Howard, gripping his shotgun.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:17 pm
by Philulhu
”You’re not leaving me here, are you?” said Oscar, fearfully. “What if whoever hit me comes back?!”

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 pm
by HoneyDog
"You'd better go back to the car and wait for us there. If we're not back in..." Howard checks his watch... "thirty minutes, go to get help. Do you have a watch?"

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 am
by Philulhu
Unsteady on his feet, Oscar had to be helped back to his car. He insisted that Howard fetched the tyre iron from the trunk and checked that all the doors were locked.

As Howard turned to head back to the house, Oscar knocked on the window to draw his attention. ”Ah remembered something,” he said. “There was two boats - skiffs - round the back of the house when ah got there. They ain’t there no more. Could be that’s who hit me.”

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods and quickly returns to the house. He relays Oscar's information to the others.

"We'd better not waste any more time."

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am
by peper757
"If they've gone onto the water, perhaps they're trying to repeat what happened at Squatter's Lake. Are there any any more boats around?" Thomas asks, looking around.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Spot Hidden check, please.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/748769]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b]
"Well of course they're trying to repeat it" says Howard. "That's why we're not at Coney Island right now. Look, if they're out in the swamps they could be anywhere. Me, I'm searching this house. I want to know that those evil old bastards have actually been here."

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:22 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC:   spot hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]  
"I say we comb through this house first. Like Howard here said: if they're out in the swamps, they could be anywhere. Our old friends could spring an ambush on us in the bayou." suggests Lawrence, cradling his rifle, his voice still somewhat lowered.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

William peers out into the distance and is just able to see something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking for the boats: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am
by Philulhu
William peered out into the swamp. He thought he saw movement low among the cypress trees but he couldn’t be sure.

As he turned away, he glanced down. In the mud at the edge of the water were signs that two boats had been beached. He couldn’t be sure but it looked from the footprints like a scuffle may have taken place and body dragged in the direction of the boats.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 am
by peper757
Spot Hidden (55%),[dice]0[/dice]
"Okay then, let's check the house first, but let's be careful." Thomas says, his rifle at the ready. "There might be more of those things from last time."

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wait, I see something!" says William, pointing out the boats and describing what he sees. "They've got someone, and if we don't hurry that someone will be dead."

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 am
by HoneyDog
"What!" says Howard, alarmed. "Let's get down there!"

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 am
by Philulhu
OOC,For clarity, William thought he saw movement out on the bayou but couldn’t be sure what he saw. Some movement caught his eye but he couldn’t make out any details. To rear of the property, the water is no more than 10 yards away. By the water’s edge, there were marks in the mud that looked to have been made by two skiffs being pulled up onto the shore (as seen by Oscar), along with footprints that suggested a struggle. Of those boats, there is currently no sign, nor have you yet seen any other boats at the property.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can't exactly swim out there," says William, "and I don't see any other boats. Maybe we can rent one?"

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 am
by HoneyDog
"From where?" says Howard, frustrated. "Why don't you go down there and see if you can see which way they might have headed. I'm going inside now!"

He enters the house.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"From the locals, maybe," says William. He heads down to the water and tries to get a closer look.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 am
by peper757
"I'm coming with you, Howard!" Thomas says as he follows him inside.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 pm
by Philulhu
William stepped down carefully to the water’s edge and studied the area opposite the house carefully. It was peaceful until there was a sudden flurry of movement as two herons took flight, startled by an alligator nearby. As he looked across the water, Wiiliam became aware of ripples on the surface as the ancient reptiles leisurely swam in search of food. It seemed there were more prosaic dangers here, in addition to anything the Browns were mixed up in.

Behind him, Howard and Thomas carefully walked down the steps into the basement. At the bottom of the steps, a square room opened up before them. To their left a grill at ceiling level let in some faint light from outside. Ahead were two doors. The nearest one to the right, they guessed, would lead to stairs to the upper floors. The second was further back, in the middle of the wall, next to an empty fire place.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence followed his compatriots into the basement, rifle at the ready.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Having seen everything he can, William returns to the house and also ventures into the basement, wondering how they keep it from getting flooded.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:33 am
by HoneyDog
"Let's check that second door" says Howard, indicating the furthest one.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:41 pm
by Philulhu
William looked around the dark walls of the cellar. It appeared that they had been painted in some kind of bitumen compound to try to keep the water at bay.

Howard moved across the rough floor in the direction of the door. He reached out and carefully opened the door. In the light from the torches carried by his comrades, a large room was illuminated beyond. Against the back wall, there was a familiar looking white sheet hanging from the ceiling and some large wooden crates supported by trestles... ...

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

William grips his shotgun and remains silent, not wanting to alert anyone who may be down here.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:56 am
by HoneyDog
Gripping his shotgun, Howard moves carefully forward to take a peek at what's behind the sheet...

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:56 pm
by peper757
Thomas decides to keeps an eye on the door they had just come through whilst the others are investigating the sheet.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Light sources - there is limited light in the basement. Who’s carrying the flashlight(s)?

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 pm
by Bullfrog
ooc,I'll say that I'm holding a light. Even if it makes using the rifle difficult, I still have a revolver as backup.
Lawrence heads into the other room where Howard is, shining his torch on the sheet.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we all have flashlights, but since I need both hands to hold my shotgun, I can't be using mine.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm
by peper757
OOC,[b]Thomas [/b]is also using a flashlight.
"Well? What's behind the sheet?" Thomas shouts to the others.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm
by Philulhu
Howard carefully peered behind the curtain, where he saw a familiar-looking table. Leather straps hung down from the corners, with fresh bloodstains indicating that it had been used recently. The glass jars that had contained viscous green liquid and the strange spines previously seen at Squatter’s Lake had been smashed, and glass, spines and the green liquid adorned the floor near the table.

There was a sudden creak. It wasn’t clear if it came from the wooden crates lined up against the back wall or from somewhere else in the house...

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
Howard draws the curtain back carefully so that the others can see the scene, suppressing a shudder when he sees the spines.

Hearing the creak, he says “We’d better check these crates before we do anything else”.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Keep the noise down," whispers William. "We don't want anyone to hear us." He trains his shotgun on the crates.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 am
by HoneyDog
With a deep breath, Howard leans his shotgun against a crate as he attempts to open it.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 am
by Philulhu
The wooden lid wasn’t fastened down and moved easily. Howard noted with a sickening feeling in his stomach that there were blood splatters on the rough wooden interior.

The lids on the other three crates moved just as easily and were also empty. Wherever the creaking noise had come from, it wasn’t from the crates.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am
by HoneyDog
"We'd better check upstairs" Howard tells the others, quietly relieved.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 pm
by peper757
"Come on then, let's hurry and find out what's going on." Thomas leaves the room and walks over to the other door.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:11 pm
by Philulhu
Thomas opened door and shone his flashlight up the stairs. They were of rough, wooden construction - very much for the servants of the house, not visitors - although years of use had rubbed away at any rough edges. In the middle of the tread was a trail of blood, still fresh and not congealed, that suggested something may have been dragged down the stairs.

The door at the top of the stair stood ajar. From above came another creak.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard, eager for revenge, pushes past Thomas and slowly up the stairs. Shotgun ready, he pushes the door open as quietly as possible.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:41 pm
by Philulhu
The door at the top of the stairs swung open into a kitchen. The windows were shuttered but a few cracks of light pierced the interior, lighting dust motes as the hung in the air.

The kitchen was spartan. To the left along the wall was another door, then the back door. Straight ahead was a shuttered window above a Belfast sink. To the right, there was an opening to another darkened room, in which the outline of a dining table could be seen.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 pm
by peper757
Thomas follows Howard up the stairs. After looking around, he taps him on the shoulder, and points to the darkened room. "Let's check over here, Howard." he says in a low voice.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods and leads the way into the room.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:03 am
by Mr. Handy

William follows as well. "Keep in mind there may be innocent people staying here," he whispers.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 am
by Philulhu
The dining room, like the kitchen, was shuttered and dark. Two dining chairs lay on the floor as if pushed roughly out of the way by people in a hurry. Other than that, the room stood as if ready for a meal.

Opposite the way they came in, there was an opening into another dark room to the left and what looked to be on opening to a hallway on the right.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:20 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence had trailed just behind the others, acting as a rearguard in the case of an ambush.
"Someone's been here recently. Whether it's a guest or not is beyond me, but somebody has been here. Looks like they left in a rush, too.", he muttered, shining his torch on the table.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"They must have heard us," whispers William. "We have to figure out which way they went and find them before they warn someone." He takes a good look around.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) to see which way whoever was here went: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:54 pm
by peper757
"I'll check the other room." Thomas whispers as he starts to walk slowly.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm
by Philulhu
William saw more bloodstains in the light of the torches held by Thomas and Lawrence. It looked as if the stains originated in the hallway and lead in the direction of the cellar door by which they had made their entrance.

Lawrence played the beam of his flashlight across the table. There were five place settings, set as if for breakfast. While he did that, Thomas moved through the arch into the room at the front of the house. Again, the windows were shuttered, but this time less well than the back of the house, so the two couches could be seen more clearly. It seemed as if someone had searched the room, as books lay scattered upon the floor by the bookcase, and someone had taken a blade to the cushions of the couches.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:53 am
by HoneyDog
“They must have overpowered whoever was here, and dragged them out to the boat” says Howard, as he surveys the scene. “We’d better check the rest of the house, just in case.”

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "Whoever tossed this place didn't belong here," he whispers, "or they'd have known where to find whatever they were looking for. It must have been other burglars like ourselves, and they fled fearing the owners had returned. It would help if we could find out who they are. They could make useful allies."

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Where are you going next?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to check the windows first to see if there is anyone outside who has just left the house.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:38 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard expressed a desire to search the rest of the house. Is there more to see?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 am
by Bullfrog
ooc,Probably gonna go hut the rest of the house with Howard.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
William moved across the darkened room and peered through the gaps in the shutters. The view was restricted but there was no obvious signs of anyone moving around outside.

From the limited light from the front door, stairs to the upper floors could be seen in the hallway.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 am
by HoneyDog
"I'm going upstairs" says Howard.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll come with you," says William, following him.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 am
by Philulhu
Opposite the front door, the stairs lead upwards and back into the house. As Howard lead the way up the stairs, the beams from the flashlights carried by Lawrence and Thomas cast looming shadows ahead of them.

The stairs turned right at the top, opening into a landing that stretched away to the left and the right. Opposite the stairs, a door stood ajar. From beyond, an irregular thumping noise could be heard...

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard nods his head towards the source of the noise, and leads the way to it.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 pm
by peper757
Thomas follows Howard towards the door, clutching his gun tightly.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 pm
by Philulhu
As the two men approached to door, there was a noticeable coppery smell in the air..

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence quietly steps behind the pair, rifle raised towards the door, with the flashlight angled away from it. After all, you don't want to alert whoever's in there.
Ooc,So, what's the verdict with carrying weapons like rifles with a flashlight? Would it cause a penalty of any sort?

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:18 am
by HoneyDog
Steadying himself, Howard pushes the door open.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

William covers them with his shotgun. "Blood," he whispers on noticing the smell.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 am
by Philulhu
Blood was an understatement.

The door swung open to reveal the naked body of a man, spreadeagled on the floor with his feet towards them. Where his genitals had been was just a mass of mangled flesh, and his blood had run out onto the floorboards in a wide, expanding pool.

There was more blood on his chest and it appeared that his throat had been cut. Holding him to the floor were four of the metallic spines, nailed through the fleshy parts of his calves and forearms. Despite the massive damage sustained by his body, some life force clung on as his left leg twitched, as if he were trying to lift it clear of the gore-slicked spine but without success.

The opening door completed its arc and thumped softly against the wall. The man’s bald, blood-splattered head jerked up and they stared into the furious gaze of Robert Brophy!
OOC,SAN checks please (1/1d4+1). As the campaign is likely to run, I’ll be monitoring sanity more closely than previously. Using a flashlight - if you want to use a long gun (rifle/shotgun) with a flashlight, I’ll impose the following penalties: Firing single-handed (gun in one hand, flashlight in the other) - 50% penalty Firing with both hands (flashlight held against the barrel with the second hand) - 25% penalty but also requires a DEX check to make sure the recoil doesn’t cause you to drop the flashlight. That seem fair?

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
The situation in the room is far worse than what Howard was expecting. He recoils and then empties the content of his stomach on the floor. His knees are shaking and he cannot bear to turn his head to look at the grisly sight again.
OOC,SAN 49: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/752467]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]90[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/752468]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d4+1[/u] [b]4[/b] Now 45

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:03 am
by peper757
OOC,Sanity (80): [dice]0[/dice] New Sanity: 79
The sight of a corpse, even one as grisly as this, wasn’t about to slow Thomas down. He raises his shotgun towards Robert and places his finger on the trigger. ”Stay still, you bastard!” he shouts, whilst watching him for any sign of him trying something.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 am
by Bullfrog
ooc,no problem, but I might have to ditch the flashlight, seeing as my rifle skill is only 50%
Sanity 64,[dice]0[/dice] San now 63
Lawrence was shocked by the horrific, bloody spectacle, but managed to keep his stomach contents where they belonged. He said nothing, with an expression with equal parts horror and disgust on his face as he angled his firearm at the pinned-down Brophy.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"The man's no threat now; he's dying," says William. He tries to stop the bleeding, reasoning that he can't talk if he's dead. He probably couldn't talk regardless with his throat cut, but he may be able to write if he recovers.
OOC,The best way to use a long gun and a flashlight at the same time is to duct tape the flashlight under or over the barrel. Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing [b]Brophy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity is now 64. First Aid roll (50% skill) to save [b]Brophy[/b]'s life: [dice]1[/dice] HP recovered by [b]Brophy[/b]: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 am
by Philulhu
William’s assessment of Robert’s condition was correct; his treatment could only prolong the older Brophy brother’s life for a matter of minutes. His mouth moved continuously but there was no sound, just blood bubbling at his throat. As William administered to Robert, he noticed that the blood on his chest wasn’t just overspill from open wound at his throat; it looked as if a symbol had been carved into his flesh.

As Howard turned away from the room and wiped his mouth, he heard a thumping noise from the nearby staircase, as if someone had just fallen from the floor above and hit every step on the way down...
OOC,Duct tape won’t be invented for a couple of decades: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape. I’ve not found any historical references to flashlights being taped to weapons so I don’t think it’s something that’s likely in this time period. If you have any references that show otherwise, I’m happy to reconsider.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:58 am
by HoneyDog
"What the hell?" cries Howard.

He grips his gun firmly and moves out to investigate.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:01 am
by Philulhu
Howard,[b]Howard[/b] walked the short distance to the upwards staircase and carefully looked around the corner and up the stairs. Looking back at him with dead eyes was body of a young creole man, lying upside down on the stairs, with a metallic spine buried deep in his chest. OOC: Sorry, another SAN check required! (0/1d3)

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,SAN 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/752719]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]67[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/752720]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] 44
Howard shudders at the sight of the spine in the body, but he retains enough of his wits to realise what has happened.

"The killer's upstairs!" he shouts.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 am
by Bullfrog
Upon hearing Howard's shout, Lawrence rushes out of the room and to the staircase to investigate.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who did this to you?" William asks Robert. "Write it with the blood." He moves to cover the stairs with his shotgun.
OOC,I'd looked at the same wiki page before posting, and it mentioned that there were similar adhesive tapes that existed in 1930. However, I don't know of any references to it being used in that way, so maybe nobody had figured out that particular use of it yet, though it has so many uses.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:42 pm
by peper757
”You handle him.” Thomas says to William without waiting for a response. He rushes out of the room to join the others at the staircase.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
As Thomas exited the room, William found himself alone with Robert. The old man glared balefully but made no attempt to write the names of his assailant. A moment or two passed before it occurred to William that a man with his arms pinned to the floor with metallic spines might struggle to practice his penmanship...
Mr Handy,I can’t find any references, either. I’ve had a look at the history of flashlights, etc. but can’t see any mention. The idea of taping magazines together started in WWII - presumably as a by-product of the availability of duct tape, so I think the idea of taping things to rifles might well be of the same vintage. It’s interesting what you find out playing this game!
Howard | Lawrence | Thomas,[b]Lawrence[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] moved quickly to join [b]Howard[/b] at the foot of the stairs. Like him, they greeted by the disturbing sight of the dead Creole, with a metallic spine buried need in his chest and blood that had started to trickle from his nose and mouth. OOC: Lawrence/Thomas - SAN check please (0/1d3)

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy

William removes the spines that are pinning Robert's arms.
OOC,Whoops, I'd forgotten or missed that from the description.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm
by Bullfrog
sanity 63,[dice]0[/dice]
Sanity loss 1d3,[dice]1[/dice]
Lawrence is shocked and startled by the sudden appearance of a corpse that wasn't here earlier, which confirms the killer is indeed still here. Carefully stepping over the body, he climbs up the stairs to face whatever is up there.
Ooc,We do have rope, so could I partially untwist some of it and tie the flashlight to the rifle that way?

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard follows Lawrence, wiping the sweat from his face.

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm
by peper757
OOC,Sanity(79) [dice]0[/dice]
Thomas, still unfazed, continues after Howard and Lawrence.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:11 am
by Philulhu
Mr Handy,As soon as Robert’s hands were free, he sat up, grabbed the spikes that secured his legs to the floor and tried to wrench them free. Whatever inhuman power had kept him alive so far, clearly did not intend to give him up, just yet... OOC: Robert strength check [dice]0[/dice]
Howard | Lawrence | Thomas,The three men made their way quickly up the stairs, and emerged onto a landing bathed in late-afternoon sunshine. Unlike the lower floors of the house, the windows were un-shuttered and they had to blink a few times for their eyes to adjust. As vision returned, they found themselves staring ahead into a bedroom, where two children sat playing. A Creole boy, who looked to be about seven, was focused on the wooden trains in front of him, but his companion, a dark-haired Caucasian girl a year or two older, looked up from her doll and said, [color=#FF40FF]“Bonjour. Qui est-tu?”[/color]
OOC - All,I’ve given some thought to the flashlight/rifle issue. Although a patent for a revolver-mounted flashlight existed in 1912, US police departments were teaching their patrolmen how to use a flashlight with a pistol in 1930, which suggests that the concept of a mounted flashlight had yet to gain much traction even 10 years after our investigation is set. To me, the idea seems out of time, more suitable to an investigation set in the 1980s onwards. I’m not going to outright forbid it, but if you want to pursue it, it will require a extreme party IDEA roll (borrowing from the 7th Ed. rules) to come up with the idea in the first place, plus a hard DEX roll to attach a flashlight to a weapon. Bear in mind the reliability of the equipment you are using, there may be other penalties imposed as well.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy

William keeps his shotgun ready in case Robert tries to attack him with the spikes. "Good thinking," he says. "you can write the name on the floor with the spikes."

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 pm
by peper757
Ignoring the children before him, Thomas shouts out "I'll check the other rooms!". He goes over to the bedroom to the left of the stairs and begins to look for any sign of the killer.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 pm
by Bullfrog
The sight of children, of all things, really caught Lawrence off guard. After a few moments of utterly dumbstruck silence, he put away his light and heads off to the small bedroom to the right of the stairs to go hunt down the killer.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
William,As [b]William[/b] covered Robert with the shotgun, the older man sank back to the floor as if the effort had become too much for him. His right hand scrabbled weakly for the metallic spine and he pulled it towards him, feeling for the tip as if searching for the correct grip on a pen. The creaking sound of footsteps from above was a momentary distraction for [b]William[/b], and when he looked back at Robert, he had already shaped up and was ready to throw the spine in [b]Wiiliam’s[/b] direction! OOC: Mr Handy - you have initiative and can act first.
Thomas,The rear bedroom [b]Thomas[/b] entered appeared unused. The furniture was covered in dustsheets and there did not appear to be anyone there.
Lawrence,[b]Lawrence[/b] turned to the right and moved quickly to the small bedroom at the front of the house. It was neat and tidy and looked well cared for. In the corner opposite the doorway was a second door, standing ajar, which presumably lead into the second, larger bedroom at the front of the house.
Howard,The young girl watched [b]Thomas[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b] move off to the other rooms and then looked back to [b]Howard[/b]. [color=#FF40FF]“Où est Oncle Guillaume?! Où est Jacque?!”[/color] she demanded, looking upset. The young boy looked up from his toy trains and studied [b]Howard[/b] with a puzzled frown, before standing up to face him. There was something unnerving about the way the child stood, stretching and curling his hands as if preparing himself for something.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Already expecting this, William scrambles back out of the door and ducks around the corner so that Robert cannot see him to target him with the spike. He doesn't want to shoot him, as then he'll be blamed for his death. Besides, he's not eager to put the ungrateful man out of his misery. The worst thing he can do to him is to let him die slowly.
OOC,Dodge roll (20% base skill) to avoid the spike (if necessary): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
The boy unnerves Howard, and although he doesn’t point his gun at the children, he doesn’t lower it.

”Parlez-vous Anglais?” he asks.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 am
by Philulhu
William,Robert’s attack - [dice]0[/dice] Robert flicked one of the spines towards William, who had tried to duck out of the way but hadn’t been quite quick enough. The spine buried itself in the lawyer’s thigh, causing pain to shoot up his leg. Damage: [dice]2[/dice]
Howard,The young girl’s eyes flicked from the gun back to Howard’s face. She smiled and said, [color=#FF40FF]“Se débarrasser de votre fusil, s'il vous plaît.”[/color] Howard looked down at the weapon in his hands. He hadn’t understood what the girl had said but had an overwhelming compulsion to place the rifle down! For a moment, he felt himself leaning forward as if to put the gun on the floor, but that passed, and his grip tightened once again. OOC: Howard resistance roll [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 am
by HoneyDog
Howard gasps with the effort of holding the gun.

”I’m not going to hurt you” he says.
Philulhu,Do you need me to roll?

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm
by Philulhu
HoneyDog,No, I already made your resistance roll.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

Wiliam ducks around the edge of the doorway outside the room. "I saved your life, and this is how you repay me?" he says as he pulls out the spike and bandages his wound. "What the hell is wrong with you? This is how you spend the last minutes of your life?"
OOC,First Aid roll (50% skill) to treat my injury: [dice]0[/dice] HP recovered: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:54 am
by Bullfrog
"I think he's in here, everyone!" Lawrence calls put to the others on the floor. He slowly pulls the door open and brings up his rifle, ready for a fight.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:53 am
by peper757
Thomas hears Lawrence's cry and rushes over to him, rifle at the ready.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 pm
by Philulhu
William,There was no answer from Robert. From within the room, there was a ‘clink!’ as if the second spine had been dropped, then a moment’s pause, then a long rattling breath...
Howard,The children stared a [b]Howard[/b], a flat, unnerving stare. In broken English, with a strong French accent, the young girl said, [color=#FF40FF]“Why are you ‘ere? Oncle Guilliame will be angry if ‘e finds strangers in ‘is ‘ouse.”[/color]
Lawrence & Thomas,[b]Lawrence[/b] carefully opened the door that linked the two bedrooms as [b]Thomas[/b] covered him with his rifle. Through the door, they could see another bedroom, bright in the late afternoon sunshine. The room was sparsely decorated and appointed with a double bed, dressing table and a large double wardrobe.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Wiliam peeks through the doorway, ready to leap back if Robert still poses a threat.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 am
by peper757
"Are you sure that they're in here, Lawrence?" Thomas asks. He walks over to the wardrobe and opens it to look inside.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard nods. He speaks slowly so that his words might be understood.

“Yes, that’s true. But I think, perhaps, that Oncle Guillame is angry a lot anyway. Is it true?”

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:01 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence scans over the room, eventually moving into the room, walking closer to the other doorway to get a better look into the adjacent bedroom.
"He's either in here or in there, and I can't really think of anywhere else he could be hiding."

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:42 am
by Philulhu
William,Robert lay still on the floor, in amidst the pool of his own blood. His chest no longer moved and the blood at his neck was starting to lose its bright sheen. It was safe to assume that he was dead.
Lawrence & Thomas,[b]Thomas[/b] pulled open the wardrobe to find it was full of clothes, a mixture of work clothes and Sunday best, although they all looked a little shabby and some of the fashions were well behind the times.
Howard,The young girl shook her head. [color=#FF40FF]“Non!”[/color] she said. [color=#FF00FF]“‘e is most patient and kind to me and to Damas.”[/color] [color=#FF00FF]*Why are you ‘ere?”[/color] she repeated. Behind her, the young boy studied [b]Howard[/b] warily.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 am
by HoneyDog
Howard

“I’m looking for a man, James Frazer. Do you know him? Is he here?”

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Wiliam looks around the room, careful not to touch anything else. He first checks to see if Robert did write anything on the floor before he died, and then he looks around the room for evidence.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,[color=#FF40FF]“James?”[/color] replied the girl.[color=#FF40FF] “‘e lives with us. ‘e plays with us when ‘e is not too busy working for Oncle Guilliaim and Oncle Robert.”[/color] The latter was pronounced in the French way, with the T silent. She looked over to the young Creole boy and spoke quickly in French, then looked back to [b]Howard[/b]. [color=#FF40FF]“What do you want with James?”[/color]
William,There were scratch marks on the bloodied floor, but nothing that would suggest any coherent attempt at writing. As [b]William[/b] looked around for any further signs of what may have occurred, he noticed that Robert had a pattern carved into his chest, albeit one obscured by his own blood...

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Wiliam examines the symbol closely, again trying not to touch anything. If the symbol cannot be discerned without removing the blood, he looks around the room for something he can use to soak it.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
Howard

"He's my friend. His father wanted me to find him. He's worried. James went off without a word. Is he with your Uncle Robert now? Do you know where they are?"

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 am
by peper757
Thomas takes a minute to search through the room he is in.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 pm
by Bullfrog
Spoiler:
Ooc, So, what does Lawrence see in the adjacent bedroom to the one he's in? My post might not have made my meaning entirely clear. What I forgot to say is that he entered the bedroom, and he was looking through the door into the adjacent bedroom. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm going to fix my previoud post real quick.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:29 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] spied a half-full glass of water on a bedside table. Adjacent to that, a chest of drawers stood, with its drawers extended and contents spilled out, as if the room had been hastily searched.
Howard,[color=#FF00FF]“No, I don’t,”[/color] replied the young girl, shortly. She looked beyond [b]Howard[/b] to the staircase. [color=#FF40FF]“Was that man with you?”[/color] she asked.
Lawrence & Thomas,[b]Lawrence[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] searched the rooms, but both were empty, and there was no sign of anyone hiding in the wardrobe. [i]OOC: Sorry, some confusion about which you were in, but you see no sign of anyone here.[/i]

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Wiliam uses his handkerchief to pick up the glass of water so as not to leave fingerprints on it and uses it to wash away the blood to reveal the symbol.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 am
by HoneyDog
Howard glances back over his shoulder.

"What man? The dead man on the stairs? No! He's why I came in here with my gun like this. Do you know what happened to him?"

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 pm
by Bullfrog
"I hate to say this, Thomas, but I may have been wrong about the killer being in here." Lawrence spoke, searching the bedrooms over one last time for any sign of the killer whatsoever.
spot hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 pm
by peper757
"Well, that leaves us with a mystery. Who was responsible for the murder, and where are they now?" Thomas says. He decides to head back onto the landing.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] poured water on Robert’s chest and carefully washed away the blood. As it drained away, the symbol that emerged, carved deep into the flesh with a razor-sharp blade, was that a of a coiled serpent, poised as if to strike!
Howard,[color=#FF40FF]“‘e shouted at Jean-Paul, so Jean-Paul killed him,”[/color] replied the young girl, matter-of-factly. She looked around at the young Creole boy, who looked up at her, and then at [b]Howard[/b] with a suspicious look on his face...
Lawrence & Thomas,A quick search of the two rooms finds nothing of interest. The rooms look as if they might have been set up as guest rooms, but there was no sign of any guests.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh" says Howard, swallowing uncomfortably. He suddenly feels very hot.

"Well, I'm not going to shout at you. Who was the man? What did he want?"

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

William takes out his notepad and a pencil and sketches the symbol.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 pm
by Bullfrog
Either the killer is still hiding out here, or it was those children who did it. I don't like any of those possibilities. Lawrence replies, following Thomas to the landing.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 am
by Philulhu
William,Can I have an Art check, please?
Howard | Lawrence | Thomas,[b]Lawrence[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] walked back out onto the landing, where they saw a nervous-looking [b]Howard[/b] talking to the young girl. [color=#FF40FF]“‘Who else is ‘ere?’ That’s what ‘e shouted at Jean-Paul,”[/color] the girl repeated. [color=#FF40FF]“Jean-Paul was frightened and didn’t reply, and that made the man angry. ‘e threatened Jean-Paul... ...”[/color] She shrugged; the outcome for the man was self-evident. [color=#FF40FF]‘I don’t know who ‘e was. Probably from the village,”[/color] she continued. [b]Lawrence[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] stepped into view and the young girl clammed up. The Creole boy looked at them and the weapons they carried, and tugged on the girl’s skirt to get her attention. She leant over and he whispered to her, his eyes not leaving the three men. The girl nodded and straightened up. [color=#FF40FF]“Jean-Paul would like you to leave now,”[/color] she said, matter-of-factly. [color=#FF40FF]“It’s probably better that you do as ‘e says.”[/color]

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods.

"Thanks for telling me about James" he says.

He turns and waves Lawrence and Thomas out.

"We should leave" he tells them. "The children don't need to be disturbed any further".

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

William draws the symbol. It doesn't look very good, and without a camera, he'll just have to rely on his memory. He puts the notepad and pencil away, hefts the shotgun, and heads upstairs after the others to look for them.
OOC,Art roll (5% base skill) sketching the symbol: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 am
by peper757
"If you're sure, Howard..." Thomas whispers, before taking a look back at the children as he starts to descend the stairs. "We didn't find anything in the rooms we searched." he adds.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard shakes his head.

"Don't worry about it. Let's leave. I'll explain downstairs."

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 am
by Philulhu
The four men met at the bottom of the stairs on the first floor landing, Howard, Lawrence and Thomas arriving, just as William exited the room where they had found Robert’s body.

The sun now slanted through the gaps in the shutters at a lower angle and it occurred to them that they may we’ll have been in the house for considerably longer than the half hour they asked Oscar to wait before going to summon help.
All,Actions, please? Is there anywhere else you want to look in the house?

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 am
by Bullfrog
ooc,Have we already checked the second-floor bedroom? I don't think we have, but I may very well be wrong.
"You know, I think we missed a room on the second floor. We should at least check that before leaving." suggests Lawrence.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 am
by HoneyDog
"I'd better go find Oscar" says Howard. "Stay the hell away from those kids upstairs".

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe I should go find Oscar," says William. "Your artistic talents may be more useful in there, and I should really have my wound examined from when the ungrateful bastard threw a spike at me. Whoever killed Robert carved a symbol in his chest: a coiled serpent. I tried to draw it myself, but it didn't come out too well. Maybe you could draw it or take a picture of it with your camera."

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 am
by HoneyDog
"Er... okay" Howard replies and goes to the room, not relishing the prospect of viewing the body again.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I think the only room you looked into on the first floor was the room where Robert was. After that, you got distracted by the body on the stairs and went up onto the second floor. [b]Howard[/b] - can I have an Art skill check, please?
William made his way through the quiet house and back out through the cellar. Glancing at his watch, he saw that more than an hour had gone by, and so was surprised to see Oscar’s car still parked at the end of the drive. Even more surprising was the second car parked alongside, against which a dark-haired man stood, smoking a cigarette and scowling in the direction of the house...
OOC - All,Welcome to the game, DSIGFUSS, who will be playing Georgie.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 am
by HoneyDog
The gory mess is almost too much for Howard to continue, but he manages to make a passable imitation of the symbol without vomiting.
Art,Art 75: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/755992]Art[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]75[/b]

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence makes one last run-through of the first floor, searching for anything of note before leaving.
Spot hidden 26%,May the dice gods bless me. [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is [b]Oscar[/b] still there?

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence took a quick turn around the rest of the rooms on the first floor while Howard completed his sketch, but there was nothing else that caught his eye.

Outside, William could see Oscar in his car, with his head pressed across the car window. It looked as if he was asleep.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:07 am
by HoneyDog
Finished, Howard hurriedly leaves the room, intending to exit the house by the front door.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

William remains out of sight, not sure who this stranger is or what he's doing here. Oscar clearly isn't going anywhere, so he can wait for the others to catch up to him.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm
by Bullfrog
With his task done, Lawrence heads out the front door and circles around to the back of the house.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:33 pm
by peper757
Thomas decides to follow Howard and Lawrence out of the house, and goes with Lawrence to the back of the house.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
Any attempt by William to remain out of sight at the back of the house was rendered moot by Howard, Lawrence and Thomas trooping out of the front door, in full view of the stranger. Somewhat startled by his appearance, they milled around aimlessly for a moment or two, before heading for the back door where William was waiting for them.

The stranger sat in his car, watching them.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure who that fellow is or what he's doing here," says William. "I hadn't wanted to let him know we were here, so I stayed in the back, but it's too late now, I suppose. Should we go up and talk to him?"

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 am
by HoneyDog
"Yes".

Concerned for Oscar, Howard strides towards the cars without waiting for a reply.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Georgie finishes his cigarette and flicks it out the car window. It catches on the ends of his fingers and sparks from the cherry fly onto his lap. He has a moment of panic and brushes frantically at his crotch. He opens the car door and jumps out swatting at the idea that his pants are on fire. He quickly straightens himself out and returns to glaring at the house. He lights another cigarette.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I’ll let you carry on and get acquainted.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

William follows, keeping the shotgun pointed downward at an angle. "Good afternoon, sir," says William. "What brings you here? Do you know Oscar?"

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard walks up to Oscar's car.

"Oscar? Are you okay?" he asks, concerned.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence follows William, standing behind him. He remained silent, cradling his rifle in his arms and letting the lawyer do the talking.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:51 pm
by peper757
Thomas goes with Howard to help check on Oscar.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:51 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Georgie straightens himself and smiles warmly. His previous scowl disappeared almost immediately. He offers a hand to the closest man William.

George Livingstone. Pleasure to meet you!

He looks over at the other car.

Oscar? No sir... Never met the man. He OK?

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar stirred as he heard Lawrence and Thomas approaching his car. He blinked, yawned and looked around, before pushing the door open.

He rubbed a hand across his face before gingerly touching the wound on his scalp. ”Ah’m sorry,” he said. ”Ah think ah fell asleep.”

He looked at the car next to his and did a double take. Clearly, he had not heard the other vehicle arrive. He looked at George and said, ”Who’s this gennelman? He a friend o’ yours?”

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 am
by HoneyDog
"I don't know' says Howard, looking at Livingstone.

He addresses the newcomer.

"Can I ask what your interest is here?"

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Likewise," says William, shaking his hand. "I'm William Preston. Oscar's a guide we hired back in Baton Rouge. I'd better go see if he's okay." He limps over to Oscar. "Sounds like you've got a concussion from that bump on the head. I'll do what I can, but you should probably see a doctor. So should I, for that matter."

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar winced as William inspected his wound. The blood was matted in his hair and the flesh was pulpy to the touch. His face was grey and he didn’t look well. ”Ah’m not sure ah’m fit to drive,” he said.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Georgie' s serious expression returns to his face as he answers Howard.

I'm looking for a Mr. James Frazer. Have you seen him?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 pm
by peper757
Thomas cuts into the conversation; "I'm afraid James and his new associates don't take too kindly to unexpected guests, as poor Oscar here found out. Do you have business with him? "

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Georgie holds up his hands in peace.

Easy there... I'm not looking for trouble. I was afraid trouble found poor James and I just come looking on account on my sister is all.

He looks at William, the only one to have introduced himself.

William, You mind if I call you Bill? I ain't much on formalities.

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 am
by HoneyDog
Howard looks at Oscar with a concerned frown.

"One of us needs to get him to a doctor" he says. "The rest are going to have to stay."

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"That'll be me," says William. "I'm a good driver, and I need to see the doctor too anyway after Oscar." He packs away his shotgun as he speaks to Oscar. "I'll drive, you just relax, but try not to fall asleep. All you need to do is tell me where to find a doctor."

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
As William prepares to leave, Howard addresses the newcomer.

"You're Emily Livingstone's brother?" he asks. "How did you know to come looking down here?"

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - William,Please go to this thread: [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=438&t=6915]Our Lady of the Lake[/url]

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:15 pm
by peper757
"Take good care of Oscar, William!" Thomas says, before turning his attention back to Georgie. "The name's Thomas Riddel. Gerald Fraser didn't send you after us, did he?"

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:40 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence waves farewell to William and Oscar before turning to speak with the newcomer. "Sorry for interrupting, but I believe I forgot to introduce myself. I am Lawrence Gilman, and I don't have any questions that haven't already been asked." he quickly cuts in. He probably actually did have questions, but he could not think of any at the moment.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:34 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,While we wait for DSIGFUSS to update with Georgie’s response, what are your next steps going to be?

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:15 pm
by peper757
"Well..." Thomas begins, ""Seeing as we didn't find anything inside of the hotel, perhaps we should check the lake. If anybody of interest is still around, that's probably where they'd be, I reckon."

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Waiting for George's answer seems to be holding us up so I’ll NPC his response until DSIGFUSS returns.
“No, I’m not here on Mr Fraser’s behalf,” replied Georgie. “Emily suggested I ask him about James but he wouldn’t even see me.”

“I happen to know a couple of the guys down the police station and one of them tipped me off that you were heading down this way to look for James. I reckoned you’d have driven or traveled by train, and the train seemed like a better bet. I drove through the night, asked a few questions at the railway station when I got here and after that it was just a case of following your trail. It’s the sort of place strangers get noticed, in a out of the way place like this,” he said.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods, satisfied.

"James is here" he explains. "We found two bodies in the house and two very strange children, one of whom seems to have killed one of men we found. It's likely James is out on the lake somewhere. I think they will probably come back, I think we should wait for them."

He waits to hear what the others have to say.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 pm
by Bullfrog
"If we do leave now, and that is a very uncertain 'if', we should at least leave a notice for William. I personally suggest we wait for them, since we would have strength in numbers." Lawrence reasonably suggests, looking towards the swamp.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods.

"We should wait down by the shore as they will probably return by boat, but we also need to watch the house."

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:52 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc,Thanks Phil. I just moved to Vancouver Island from the mainland. I'm settled in now. SO should be able to post daily again. The move was very sudden. Only had three days notice to pack my bags and report in for work.
Georgie is paying close attention to what his new acquaintances are talking about His ears perk up at the mention of the children.

Did you say one of the child killed a man inside the house? Are they still in there? The children?

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
The hotel stood on a promontory that edged beyond the cypress trees and out into the bayou. The land wasn’t especially wide around the house, being no more ten metres at any point from the water’s edge. They explored the area around the house but there was no sign of a boat so either the brothers had never had one, or it had gone missing.

The shadows were lengthening as the sun had begun to set beyond the trees. The water was still, except for a few bubbles made by some underwater creatures that couldn’t be seen, and the susurration of insects continued to fill the air, buzzing incessantly as they flitted across the water.

They stood and waited for a while but there was no sign of human activity to be seen.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:21 am
by HoneyDog
“I would stay away from the children” Howard warns. “They’re dangerous”.

He fidgets as he watches the lake.

William should have been back by now. What the hell is he doing?” he complains, irritably.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:31 pm
by Bullfrog
"There's no telling, but I'm sure he'll be back soon. As for those children, that's a situation I'd really rather not look into." Lawrence declared as he looked over the shoreline, noticing the sudden lack of a boat. "I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I swear there was a boat by the shore. I reckon the brothers might have taken it."

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard nods.

"William said that he saw something. But there's no telling where they could have gone. They must be coming back here at some point though."

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 am
by Philulhu
After a while, it began to dawn on them that perhaps William had had to remain in hospital because he still hadn’t returned. By now, the sun had set behind the trees and it was starting to get dark; there had been no sign of movement on the lake for some time and the tree-lined path from the house to the road was in shadow.

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:15 am
by Bullfrog
"We've got an ultimatum to make, here," Lawrence declared after checking his watch. "We either check on William, or we head into the swamp. We can't waste any time, so it's best we decide now, rather than later."

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 am
by HoneyDog
Howard is hungry.

"Why don't we see if there's some food in the house. We can't go into the swamp in the dark, and we don't know where William has gone. If there's a phone in the house, we can call the operator and get put through to the local hospital. He might be there."

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 pm
by peper757
"Let's check the house once more, some food would be welcome." Thomas says. "I would like to check the swamp, but even with our flashlights, we probably won't be able to see much."

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 pm
by Philulhu
The house was how they had left it, albeit even darker inside due to the failing light outside. Their flashlights created as many forbidding shadows as they provided welcome illumination and the house felt eerily still.
OOC,which part(s) of the house are you re-visiting?

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is there a handy back door?
Howard

“Stay away from those kids! Don’t go upstairs. If they’re there, let me do the talking. Does anybody remember seeing a telephone?”

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Yes, there was a back door that lead from a small porch into the kitchen. Looking from the road, the door is to the right rear of the property. The cellar steps were to the left rear of the property.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 am
by Bullfrog
"You don't need to tell me. Those kids made my skin crawl. Don't recall seeing a telephone, either, but I could be wrong about that." the farmer declared, shining his flashlight at any suspected movement in the dark.
Ooc,Are there any rooms we didn't check? If not, [b]Lawrence[/b] will stick around the others, due to the whole "safer on numbers" thing.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:11 am
by HoneyDog
Howard opens the back door.

"Let's have a quick look. Someone should stay and watch though. We don't want them getting the drop on us."

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
The back door led into the kitchen. A search of the cupboards turned up some tinned food but not a lot else. The only other food was that congealing on the plates in the dining room next door.

A search of the downstairs rooms revealed a telephone on a table at the foot of the stairs, near the front door.
OOC,You had searched the rooms on the ground and second floors. I don’t think you searched the first floor as you were disturbed by Robert Brophy and then the noise of the man who fell down the stairs from the second floor.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
Howard picks up the phone, listening for a dial tone.
OOC,If the phone works, he will ask the operator to put him through to the nearest hospital.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
There was the expected ringing noise from the other end of the line, then an unexpected clicking noise. The phone connected and instead of the voice of an operator, Howard heard ”Ia! William! Quid possum adiuvare vos?”

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
Howard feels a chill down his spine. He hangs up the phone.

“There was some guy on the other end asking for William, talking Latin.”

He rubs his face with his free hand.

“Let’s just get out of here. Contact the state police. There are bodies for them to look at now.”

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 am
by Philulhu
The phone rang again, loud in the empty house. From somewhere upstairs, came the high-pitched giggle of a child...

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 pm
by Bullfrog
"What'd he say? We could probably find some way to translate it once we leave this god-forsaken house."

Upon hearing the phone ring again, Lawrence has an idea; he searches the room for some paper and a writing utensil to transcribe the call with.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Hello, operator speaking,” came a woman’s voice from the other end of the line. ”I think we got cut off. With whom would you like to connect?”

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Who picked up the phone?  

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:47 am
by Philulhu
OOC,My mistake - I mis-read Bullfrog’s post and assumed he had picked up the phone. I blame lack of sleep... :roll:

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Despite his misgivings, Howard has picked up the phone again. He relaxes a little when he hears the operators voice.

"Miss, where is the nearest hospital in this vicinity?" he asks.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
After she checked where Howard was exactly, the operator replied, ”The nearest hospital is in Terrebonne, although if someone is seriously ill, they may have been taken to Baton Rouge.”

“Would you like me to put you through, sir?”

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 am
by HoneyDog
"Yes please" says Howard. "To Terrbonne".

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm
by Philulhu
The call to Terrebonne Hospital was answered by a tired-sounding nurse, who, after a five-minute delay, confirmed that no-one answering the description of William or Oscar had been admitted that afternoon.

A second call, this time to Our Lady of the Lake Sanitarium in Baton Rouge was met with better results. The nurse confirmed that the two men had been admitted in the afternoon, although William had been subsequently discharged and had left in the company of Sheriff Digne a couple of hours or so previously.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:15 am
by peper757
“Good, they managed to get help. Hopefully that sheriff won’t keep William for too long.” Thomas says.

“Should we call the state police, then?” he asks.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 am
by HoneyDog
Howard calls the operator again, to ask for Sheriff Digne's office.

"William might be there" he says.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15 pm
by Philulhu
The call to the Sheriff’s office at Baton Rouge PD only elicited the information that Sheriff Digne left for the hospital a few hours ago and then said he was heading home for the evening.

The person on the end of the phone declined to give any further information, other than to say the Sheriff was due to return in the morning.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:15 am
by HoneyDog
Howard relays this information to the others.

"Let's call the state police. Let them clear up this mess. Who knows where William is now."

He asks the operator again to put him through.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:16 pm
by Philulhu
The operator put the call through to the Law Enforcement Division of the Highway Commission, who in turn referred it to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation. Whether there was no-one there or if the detectives at the Bureau were busy, Howard had no way to tell, but the phone just rang, and rang, and rang... ...

As he listened to the distant ringing noise, lights from the direction of the road arced across the front of the house, as if a car had turned off and onto the drive. Not long after, the crunch of car tyres on gravel could be heard as the headlamps filled the hallway with a blinding light...

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

William steps out of the passenger seat of the car and looks around.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 am
by HoneyDog
Howard hurries out of the house to see who the newcomer is. He is greatly relieved to see William.

"Thank god you're back!" he exclaims. "What happened to Oscar?"

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 am
by Philulhu
”Your boy’s in hospital. He’ll pull through,” said the Sheriff as got out of the car.

He looked Howard up and down; his eyes lingered on the gun the he carried. William here filled me in on the way down. Now why don’t you show me what you’ve found?” he said.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 am
by HoneyDog
Howard casts a wary glance at William.

"What did William tell you about what we found, sir? It's very dangerous."

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:13 am
by Philulhu
”He told me you’re down here looking for a friend who’s in the company of some fugitives from justice,” said the Sheriff, brusquely.

William said one of them had his throat cut but he managed to skewer his leg before he died. Now why don’t you tell me who you are and what else I need to know?”

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 pm
by peper757
"Yes, that's about right..." Thomas said. "There's another dead man too, and we think that their killer has escaped."

"I'm Thomas Riddel, I'm a police officer, but not from around here."

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff raised an eyebrow at the news. ”Two bodies, eh? Are you here on official business, Officer Riddel?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess you found the other body after we left for the hospital," says William. "Oscar just has a concussion from the blow to the head. He'll be fine, he just needs some time to recover."

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:37 am
by HoneyDog
"What do you know about this property and the owners, Sheriff?" asks Howard.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am
by Philulhu
”Not a deal,” replied Sheriff Digne. ”In fact, it seems to me that you know a lot more about this than I do. All I know is that there’s a house with two dead people and a load of civilians and a police officer out of his jurisdiction, all armed to the teeth...”

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 pm
by peper757
”We’ve been tasked with tracking down a missing person, Sheriff. The last time we caught up to him and his friends, they weren’t happy to see us, so we’ve taken precautions.” Thomas says.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff just ‘harrumphed’ in reply. He walked up to the front door and peered inside. ”You’d better show me where the bodies are,” he said.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I know where Robert died," says William, "and I can show you that. I'm not sure where the other body is."

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff stood to one side to let William lead the way. As they entered the house, there was a childish giggle from up the stairs...

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

William leads the way, glancing back. "There are children here?" he asks.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 am
by HoneyDog
"Don't you remember?" asks Howard irritably. He doesn't relish meeting the children again.

"There's something strange about them, Sheriff. I've met them already, maybe I should talk to them first. They don't want us here."

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I never saw or heard any children the last time I was here," says William, "and you never told me about them. I stayed with Robert."

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:34 am
by HoneyDog
"You must have forgotten" says Howard.
OOC,Have a look at the previous posts.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I've seen the previous posts, and I just reviewed them again. At no time did anyone mention the children to my character. I don't know what happened in the thread after I left for the hospital, and I don't know what's in the spoiler buttons for the other characters before that. Some of the other characters' posts were not in spoiler buttons, and those did mention children, but my character has no knowledge of that.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Have a look at page 13. It's not a big deal, it's easy to miss. William doesn't talk about it but he would have heard it.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"You did say something about staying away from 'those kids upstairs,' I remember that now," says William, "but you never explained what you meant, and I had other things on my mind at the time."

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 pm
by Philulhu
”If there are children here, put your guns away,” said Sheriff Digne. ”In fact, you’re making me nervous with all your chatter so I want you to lock them away. Put them in the boot of your car.” He looked at Georgie and Lawrence. ”These boys can stay here and look after them for you.”

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm
by HoneyDog
"Sure" says Howard. "The children don't like guns anyway."

He hands his weapon over.

"Why don't we go and view the bodies?" he suggests. "Maybe you know them, Sheriff."

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:06 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff lead the way up the stairs and onto the first landing. He was sweating and face was flushed as he looked upon the dead body of Robert Brophy impassively. He stepped carefully around the congealed pools of blood and knelt down. He checked for a pulse then wiped his bloody fingers on Robert’s shirt.

The Sheriff studied the symbol carved into Robert’s chest and shook his head. ”Where’s the other body?” he asked.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:30 pm
by HoneyDog
"Next set of stairs" says Howard, indicating with a nod of his head.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:02 am
by Philulhu
The Sheriff huffed as he climbed to his feet and wiped his brow as he walked to the next staircase and examined the body of the Native American who lay spread-eagled and upside down on the stairs. His eyes stared vacantly and his mouth hung open as if in a silent scream.

The Sheriff leaned close to examine the spine buried in the man’s chest, before he started to pull at the man’s clothes, first at the neck and then at the wrists. Roughly pulling the man’s shirt sleeve up his arm, the Sheriff exposed a tattoo in the shape of a snake, in iridescent green and black...

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 am
by HoneyDog
"That's the same design as the one on the man downstairs!" exclaims Howard in a low voice. "What is it, Sheriff?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"You were expecting to find a tattoo there," says William. "How'd you know he'd have one? What's its significance?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am
by Philulhu
The Sheriff sighed and stood up. ”He’s a native - a lot of them have tattoos showing which tribe they belong to. Sometimes it’s on the wrist, sometimes on the chest. If you’ve been around them long enough, you know what to look for.” he replied.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm
by HoneyDog
"Sure" says Howard. "But why carve it into a man's chest?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:29 pm
by Philulhu
”Sometimes it’s a sign of possessing something, other times it could be a warning,” replied the Sheriff.

”The dead man in there, I think that’s a warning...” he continued, gesturing in the direction of the room where Robert’s bloodied corpse lay.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:40 pm
by HoneyDog
"A warning about what?" asks Howard. "Have you seen it before around here?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You know a lot about tattoos, Sheriff," says William, remembering what he saw on his wrist. "Do you have any of your own?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:13 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff gave William a flat look. ”I’ve got a couple of navy tattoos, if that’s what you mean,” he scowled.

He turned to Howard. ”You’ll see some of local tribes use snakes but I don’t know whether it’s got any significance.”

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's no need to take offense," says William. "I was just interested to see them, that's all. Were you in the Great War? I was a little too young to have been in it. By the time I was old enough, it was over."

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:38 am
by HoneyDog
Howard

"Where is this tribe based? Perhaps that's where James has gone. Are they out in the swamps?"

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff angrily un-buttoned his shirt cuff and pulled back his sleeve. Above a bandage that was wrapped around his wrist, a ship’s badge with ‘USS MERCURY’ was tattooed on his forearm. ”I was a Warrant Officer on a troopship, taking boys to fight in Europe while you were still in school,” he snapped, his colour high.

He turned away from William and looked at Howard. ”There’s all sorts of tribes out there in the swamps. Mayhap even one that did this, but these bodies need to be in a morgue. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll go and ring the hospital and get someone out to take them away,” Still scowling, he turned away and headed down the stairs.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard

”What the hell was that about?" Howard asks William. "What's wrong with his wrist?"

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

William shrugs. "I noticed it on the drive over here," he says. "He explained the tattoo, but not the bandage. He was so upset about my asking about the tattoo that I'd be reluctant to ask about the bandage. I'm curious how his wrist got hurt too. I was suspicious that he may have be involved."

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 pm
by peper757
"He is a sheriff, it's perhaps not too unusual that he's injured." Thomas says. "I wonder what he meant about a warning, could somebody else be after the Brophy's?"

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:56 am
by HoneyDog
Howard

"It wouldn't surprise me. But how can we find out who they are? The Sheriff doesn't act like he wants to help very much."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure whoever killed one of them is after them," says William. "We'll have to do our own investigation if the sheriff won't help. We could start by talking to the local Indian tribe."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 am
by HoneyDog
"Why don't we get out of here, then?" says Howard. "I've had enough of this place."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says William. "On the way, you can tell me what else you found here."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
As they descended, they could see Sheriff Digne talking into the phone. As they got closer, he glanced up, saw them and put his hand over the mouthpiece. ”Where do you think you’re going?” he demanded. ”You can’t just walk out of here - it’s a murder enquiry!”

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says William, "we'll wait here."

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am
by Philulhu
”Take a seat in there,” he said, nodding in the direction of the front room, before he turned back to telephone call.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 am
by HoneyDog
As they are sitting, Howard quietly relates the encounter he had with the children, trying to keep from being overheard by the Sheriff.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:42 pm
by peper757
"We had thought about investigating the swamp, but it'll be difficult in the dark and we were concerned about you, William." Thomas says.

"So what's the plan? Are we just going to sit and wait for the Sheriff? We're wasting time." he asks.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"We don't have any choice," says William quietly as he goes into the front room and sits down. "Maybe we can hear his end of the call if we're quiet." He stops speaking and focuses his hearing on the other room.
OOC,Listen roll (68% skill) to overhear the sheriff: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 am
by Philulhu
”... yeah, they’re still here... ... five of them... ... yeah... ...” they heard Sheriff Digne say. At that moment the Sheriff looked up and locked eyes with William. Realising that he was being overheard, he scowled, pointedly turned his back and continued his conversation in more hushed tones.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,What did happen with the children? I never got to read any of that stuff, as it's all in spoiler buttons.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 am
by Philulhu
OOC,To save writing it out again, I’m happy for you to read it for yourself. There’s nothing else there that William wouldn’t get from talking to Howard and Thomas.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:44 pm
by peper757
"See what I mean? Worst case scenario, we'll probably be held overnight if we don't do anything and stay here." Thomas says to William. "Not that I like the idea of becoming a fugitive..."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Like I said," says William, "I don't see that we have much choice. Legally, we have the right to leave unless he places us under arrest. However, in this parish, the Sheriff is the law. There's nothing stopping him arresting us if we were to try to leave."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence & Georgie*,It was past twilight and the air was alive with chirruping of insects. The Sheriff and the rest had been in the house for a quarter of an hour or more when the lights of a couple of cars could be seen approaching from the coastward road. They slowed as they approached the entrance to the track, then turned towards the house, their headlights shining brightly before them. [size=85][i]*Dsigfuss appears to have gone so I’ll NPC Georgie for the time being.[/i][/size]
Howard | Thomas | William,The Sheriff put the phone down and turned to look at the young men sat in the front room. The front room was lit but the hallway wasn’t. Half in shadow, he tucked his fingers in his belt as he stood but he made no effort to join them. [color=#800040]”Help is on its way,”[/color] he said.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"What kind of help?" asks William.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am
by Philulhu
Howard | Thomas | William,[color=#800040]”Just help,”[/color] replied the Sheriff enigmatically, as car noise could be heard on the track outside and the light from headlamps began to spill into the room.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard swallows, his mouth dry. This situation doesn't look too good. He scans the room to see if there is anything which could be used as a weapon.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,Spot Hidden check, please.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:15 am
by Bullfrog
"I ain't liking the looks of this. I might go check in on the others." Lawrence muttered, trying to get a better look at the approaching cars.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:40 am
by HoneyDog
Howard
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/765751]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]22[/b]

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"They sure got here fast," said William.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:08 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence & Georgie*,Lawrence - Spot Hidden, please. Georgie - Spot Hidden (30%) - [dice]0[/dice]
Howard | Thomas | William,Howard glanced around the room but the only thing that looked even remotely useful was a heavy candlestick sat on the dresser near the door to the hallway. The Sheriff looked on. [color=#800040]”Help doesn’t take long in these parts. Everyone looks out for each other,”[/color] he said quietly.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:33 pm
by peper757
Thomas stands up and takes a few steps towards the hallway. "What's going to happen now? Are you planning on searching for the killer?" he asks the Sheriff.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 am
by Bullfrog
Spot Hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]
"Can't tell if those are police or not. What do you reckon, Georgie?" Lawrence states, squinting to get a better look, but to no avail.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
Howard also stands up, and attempts to move behind Thomas so that the Sheriff won't see him.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

William stands as well. "Do you have any suspects?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence & Georgie*,[color=#8040FF]”I don’t know...”[/color] said [b]Georgie[/b] slowly. The second car in line swerved as it approached them, presumably to miss something in the road and its headlights illuminated the side of the car in front. [color=#8040FF]“No white line - no decals,”[/color] he continued as he started to back up, [color=#8004FF]”I don’t think these are the cops...”[/color]
Howard | Thomas | William,As they got closer, they could see the Sheriff was sweating profusely and he looked glassy-eyed. He put a shaking hand on his gun, [color=#800040]”I think that’s far enough, boys...”[/color] he slurred.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm
by Bullfrog
"Sit tight, and don't draw any attention to yourself." Lawrence advises Georgie before walking over to the hotel's front door and giving it a knock.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right," says William, remaining where he is. "We're not going anywhere. Are you feeling all right?"

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
”Just sick,” said the Sheriff, who appeared to be holding himself up by gripping onto the table. At the knock at the door, he pushed himself along the wall on rubbery legs and pulled the door open.

A concerned-looking Lawrence stood silhouetted on the step. Beyond him, where the car lights shone were the sounds of car doors opening and the crunch of running feet on gravel... ...

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:26 am
by HoneyDog
Howard quickly runs up to the Sheriff, positioning himself so that he can grab the gun out of his holster if necessary.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

William keeps his right hand near his pistol, ready to draw it if things turn south.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
The crunching swapped for pounding on wood as the runners leapt up the steps and into the house. Roughly dressed and wide-eyed, half a dozen or more Creoles burst in through the front door, sweeping Lawrence and the Sheriff before then, and pushing Howard back into the living room where Thomas and William awaited.

From the kitchen came the sound of a door being slammed open and the sound of more running feet... ...

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:01 am
by Bullfrog
"What the-!?" Lawrence exclaimed as he was swept out of the way. He was both surprised and confused, as one tends to be when situations like this happen, and cautiously moved his hand towards his trusty revolver.
"What's going here?"

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Upstairs," hisses William, already running for the stairs, gripping his pistol. There's no way to escape from the front or the back with people rushing inside, and while it might not be easy to escape from upstairs, at least the stairs will act as a funnel and prevent too many of them from rushing them at once.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:47 pm
by HoneyDog
His blood up, Howard lashes out wildly at his assailants. He won't go down without a fight.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:34 pm
by peper757
Thomas is shocked by the events unfolding before him, and runs over to Howard to back him up.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 am
by Philulhu
Whatever their assailant’s intent, it became quickly apparent that it wasn’t to kill them - at least not yet!

William twisted past the first Creole like a star quarterback before the second changed direction and tried to tackle him before he could get up the stairs. William cleared the first three in a single bound but as he prepared spring forth again, his ankle was taken out by the second Creole and he found himself standing on nothing so much as thin air. He fell heavily on the stairs, his pistol cartwheeling away with a “thonk” noise as it bounced down the steps.

As Thomas moved to back him up, Howard swung at the Creole who was running towards him. A haymaker sailed over the head of the Creole, but it was enough to put him off and his attempt to get ahold of Howard failed.

A second assailant barrelled into Thomas to try to take him down to the floor. They grasped each other like a Greco-Roman wrestlers, but his assailant’s forward momentum and apparent greater strength saw the young policeman pushed back into the living room.

Lawrence found himself being manhandled along the corridor by another burly Creole, who kept pushing him back in the direction of the kitchen. Neither were able to get a grip on each other so neither had the advantage over the other.
Dice Rolls,[b]William[/b] Dodge (20%) - [dice]0[/dice] Luck (65%) - [dice]1[/dice] [b]Assailant #2[/b] Grapple - [dice]2[/dice] [b]Howard[/b] Fist/Punch (64%) - [dice]3[/dice] Damage (1d3 + 1d4) - [dice]1d3+1d4[/dice] [b]Assailant #3[/b] Dodge - [dice]4[/dice] Grapple - [dice]5[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b] Grapple (50%) - [dice]6[/dice] Strength (55%) - [dice]10[/dice] [b]Assailant #4[/b] Grapple - [dice]7[/dice] Strength - [dice]11[/dice] [b]Lawrence[/b] Grapple (25%) - [dice]8[/dice] [b]Assailant #4[/b] Grapple - [dice]9[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy

William throws a punch at the man who tackled him, trying to knock him out.
OOC,My pistol's an automatic, not a revolver. Fist/Punch roll (50% base skill) trying to punch my attacker, knockout attempt: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:47 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence steps back from his opponent to pull out his revolver, making a swing at the creole with his other fist.
Fist/Punch 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
1d3+1d4,[dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 am
by HoneyDog
Howard swings another punch but his move is too obvious, and is easily avoided.
Fist,Fist 64: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767419]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]85[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:12 pm
by peper757
Thomas aims a blow at his assailant.
Fist/Punch (60%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
William hit the stairs but spun around and swung at his attacker but couldn’t connect. His attacker responded by trying to pin him to the stairs and he was quickly aided by the first Creole, who tried to grab arm before he could strike again. In the close confines of the staircase, however, they mainly got in each other’s way.

In the living room, Howard swung a sharp right hand with his assailant but missed. It was enough to put off the Creole, however, who failed in his attempt to subdue him.

Next to Howard, Thomas managed to make enough space between him and his Creole attacker to deliver a swift punch, which caused the man to duck out of the way and fail to follow through on wrestling Thomas to the ground.

On the threshold of the Kitchen, Lawrence stepped back suddenly and delivered a sharp jab which left his assailant with a bloody nose. As he moved to follow up his attack, he was jabbed sharply by another Creole who emerged from the cellar door, wielding a shotgun as a club...
Lawrence,I’ll take a Dodge roll to avoid being clubbed by the shotgun.
Dice Rolls,[b]William[/b] [b]Assailant #1[/b] Grapple - [dice]0[/dice] [b]Assailant #2[/b] Grapple - [dice]1[/dice] [b]Howard[/b] [b]Assailant #3[/b] Grapple - [dice]2[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b] [b]Assailant #4[/b] Dodge - [dice]6[/dice] Grapple - [dice]3[/dice] [b]Lawrence[/b] [b]Assailant #5[/b] Dodge - [dice]7[/dice] Grapple - [dice]4[/dice] [b]Assailant #6[/b] Cosh - [dice]5[/dice] [i]OOC: Well, they were some shocking rolls... ...[/i]

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
Angry now, Howard swings again, and is rewarded with a powerful connection to the man's jaw.
Fist,Fist 64: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767583]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]7[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767584]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]3[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767585]Damage bonus[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]3[/b]

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

William takes another swing, hoping to quickly knock out one of the two men on him.
OOC,Fist/Punch roll (50% base skill) trying to punch my attacker again, knockout attempt: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 pm
by Bullfrog
Dodge 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence, seething with rage, makes a wild swing at Assailant #5, unfortunately failing to connect.
Fist/Punch 50%,[dice]1[/dice]
OOC,Would it be possible to shove assailant #6 down the cellar stairs?

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
Bullfrog,You can try. A successful Grapple roll might do it.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
by peper757
Thomas tries to follow up on his previous attack.
Fist/Punch (60%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:18 am
by Philulhu
William struck out but his fist failed to connect. His two assailants grabbed ahold of him and pinned him to the stairs and struggle as he might, he couldn’t move.

In the living room, Howard and Thomas lined up their Creole attackers, like a tag-team boxing bout. Both swung at their assailants - Howard was on target but was also caught with a flailing arm in return - but Thomas’ ducked out of the way before launching himself at the young policeman and pushing him back over an easy chair and falling on top of him.

In the kitchen, Lawrence easily ducked another swing of the shotgun butt, and avoided being caught by the Creole he was fighting, but was forced back down the corridor as several more Creole emerged from the cellar doorway, this time brandishing and assortment of weapons, knives, axes and a heavy club.

Back in the hallway, Sheriff Digne had managed to get back to his feet. He aimed his pistol at the ceiling and fired - causing everyone to flinch - before he lowered his aim at Howard. ”Give it up, boy, or I’ll shoot,” he snapped.
Dice Rolls,[b]William[/b] [b]Assailant #1[/b] Grapple - [dice]0[/dice] [b]Assailant #2[/b] Grapple - [dice]1[/dice] [b]Howard[/b] [b]Assailant #3[/b] Dodge - [dice]2[/dice] Punch - [dice]3[/dice] Damage [dice]9[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b] [b]Assailant #4[/b] Dodge - [dice]4[/dice] Grapple - [dice]5[/dice] [b]Lawrence[/b] [b]Assailant #5[/b] Dodge - [dice]6[/dice] Grapple - [dice]7[/dice] [b]Assailant #6[/b] Cosh - [dice]8[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 am
by HoneyDog
"Go to hell" snarls Howard, but he doesn't move.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

William stops struggling for now, seeing that it won't do any good, and hopes that an opportunity will present itself later, or that talking will do some good.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:04 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence ignores the gunshot, for now, though it wasn't a good sign at all. He charges the club-wielding creole, trying to shove him back down the cellar stairs with all his might.
Grapple 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:39 am
by Philulhu
The Sheriff’s hand trembled but Howard was under no illusion that he would fire if he so much as twitched. As he watched, more men piled in through the front door and quickly secured William, then Thomas, tying them securely with stout ropes. Under the threat of the Sheriff’s gun, Howard submitted to be tied and then with the others, was roughly pushed outside and towards the back of the house.

In the kitchen, Lawrence shoved the gun-toting Creole back towards the cellar door. The Creole tried to move to one side but wasn’t quick enough and the burly farmer shouldered him onto the cellar step. He teetered there for a moment, his free hand grasping for purchase on the door surround but he fell backwards and clattered down the steps.

Lawrence had no time to react before the second Creole had himself barrelled into him from behind. It was enough to send him over the threshold and Lawrence found himself windmilling in the darkness. He tried to control his landing but in the gloom of the cellar, he misjudged it and twisted his ankle as he landed, causing him to yell out in pain. As he tried to push himself upright, the barrel of a shotgun was pushed against the side of his head; Lawrence realised that further resistance was futile and he would prefer to live to fight another day... ...

- - - - - - - - -

The Servants of the Lake will continue shortly in Chapter 9: Copperhead Road.
Dice Rolls,[b]Assailant #6[/b] Dodge - [dice]0[/dice] Grapple - [dice]1[/dice] [b]Lawrence[/b] Jump (25%) - [dice]2[/dice] Damage - [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 am
by Philulhu
Epilogue

Sheriff Digne slumped against the stairs as the young men were bundled out of the house. He swallowed down his nausea and rubbed at his bandaged arm trying to dull the pain.

Through the open front door he heard another car slowly approaching, its tires crunching on the gravel path. The car stopped and the door opened and heavy booted feet could be heard approaching. Through red rimmed eyes Digne saw a man ascend the porch steps and enter through the front door.

The man looked around. “This is not good enough, Sheriff,” he said. “You are meant to keep us informed of events.”

“I... I tried,“ stammered the sheriff. “But things already started to happen by the time I got here.“

“Next time, you’d better do more than try,” came the reply. “If you want to stay alive, you’d better do as we say.”

The Sheriff tried to nod. Sweat poured from his brow and he grunted in pain. His visitor looked down upon him contemptuously, then leant forward and brusquely tore away the bandage at his wrist to expose twin puncture wounds, puckered and sore. He held the wrist tightly for a moment or so, examining the wounds, then dropped the Sheriff’s arm.

From somewhere up in the house, there was gunfire and a child’s scream, cut short. The visitor stood and listened for a moment, then took a vial of yellowish, vitreous liquid from his pocket, which he tossed contemptuously towards the Sheriff. “As I said Sheriff, next time you better do more than try,” and as the Digne gratefully sucked down the antidote that would keep him alive for while longer the man turned away and walked back to the porch. He returned moments later, carrying two fuel cans. “Now, burn this place to the ground. Our business here is done... ...”

The Servants of the Lake continues in Chapter 9: Copperhead Road.