Ch.7 Déjà Vu

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.7 Déjà Vu

Post by Philulhu »

”Squatters Lake, eh?” He frowned at Thomas, who had started to experience a sinking feeling in his stomach. ”You’d better wait here,” and he nodded towards the bench seat along one wall.

They waited until almost an hour before the front door was pushed open rather abruptly, causing it it to bang against the wall. An angry-looking Captain Keats stormed into the station. ”What’s this about Squatters Lake?! Weren’t you told to stay away?!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I felt partly responsible for the Brophys getting away," says William. "I knew we couldn't really have stopped them, but I still felt that way. When I thought that someone else might have died, I had to do something about it. As it happens, we have a lead on where they went. They've gone to Louisiana and bought a place there called Brown's Hotel. That's the name they're using now, William and Robert Brown."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”How do you know this?” demanded Captain Keats. ”We had no clue as to where they went after the events of last year.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We found this flyer near the remains," says William, showing it to the captain. "We recognized them from the pictures, and all the information's in there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Keats took the flyer and studied it carefully, front and back. After a couple of moments, he tapped the photo of James. ”This the missing boy? Have you told his father?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's him," says William. "We haven't told his father yet. We thought it was better to tell you first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain Keats studied the young men and shook his head. ”Get ‘em a drink, Joe. I’ve got a telephone call to make.” He sighed, pushed open the door marked ‘Police Only’ and headed into the station.

Twenty minutes passed and the outer door flew open once again to admit an angry-looking Gerald Fraser. He barely glanced at the young men and pushed straight through the ‘Police Only’ door and into the station, where Captain Keats could be seen waiting.

Another hour passed and the coffee had long-since gone cold before Captain Keats emerged again, flanked by a scowling Gerald Fraser. “I understand that you traced my son, James,” he said. “Captain Keats tells me that I owe you young men a debt of gratitude... ...” He glanced at Keats and the look on his face suggested that he didn’t really mean it, but he carried on.

“I want my son brought back, no matter what he’s got himself mixed up in. Would you men be willing to go and find James for me? I’ll pay you the original $200, plus an extra $200 for his safe return.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm willing," says William. "I cannot guarantee that he won't be in any trouble, but I am capable of representing him as his attorney."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"And what if we don't succeed, hmm?" asks Howard, the colour rising in his cheeks. "Are you going to do your best to trash our reputations again? You're going to have to do a hell of a lot more than just give us money". He has an edge to his voice.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Fraser Snr’s colour rose quickly and he looked to be about to snap off a sharp retort until Captain Keats placed a calming hand on his arm. Fraser looked angrily at Keats then back at Howard.

Keats stepped forward, and interposed himself between Fraser Snr. and the young men. ”You give it your best shot at finding James Fraser and bringing him back home and there’ll be no comeback, I guarantee it,” he said. ”Now do we have a deal?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree," says William, "though I can only speak for myself. I can write up a contract for the agreement." Best to make sure this agreement is legally binding with documentary proof, he thinks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

I'd have to agree, as well.

Lawrence had stood silent, until now. He personally thought that it would make more sense to have a lawyer doing the talking. After all, he hadn't been present at the second visit to Squatter's Lake, so he had little to add to this conversation.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Yes" mutters Howard. "I want this in writing".
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by peper757 »

”Yes Captain,” Thomas says, suddenly feeling a surge of confidence, ”...we’ll be sure to get James back.”. He directly addresses his senior officer; ”Then we can all forget that this mess ever happened.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Ch.7 Dé

Post by Philulhu »

Fraser Snr. was a man ill-accustomed to not getting his own way, but Captain Keats quickly shut down his blustered protests. ”These boys could be putting themselves in harm’s way, so you need to treat them right, Mr Fraser,” he said. ”Mr Preston here will draw up a contract so there’s no misunderstandings.”

Fraser Snr. said nothing but managed a short, curt nod while scowling fit to burst.

”So what are your plans?” asked Captain Keats of the young men.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"If we're going down to Louisiana, we're going to need a little financing" says Howard, staring at Fraser, and beginning to enjoy baiting the miserable old bastard.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"When we get to Louisiana," says William, "we'll make inquiries into the hotel to find out where in Louisiana it's located. Since they're a business, they'll have to be registered, and there must be real estate records under their assumed names. We might want to start in the capital, Baton Rouge. It helps that they are advertising and trying to attract people, as that will make it easier to find them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"I agree, Howard; travel isn't cheap, and in this economy, we don't have much money to spare." stated Lawrence, rather matter-of-factly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we will need our expenses covered," says William. "That's something we'll need to address in the contract."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Ch.7 Dé

Post by Philulhu »

Captain Keats beckoned Mr. Fraser Snr. to one side and spoke to him quietly. Looking put out, the banker nodded briefly, then left the room without another word.

”You’ll haves the money owed to you in the morning,” said Captain Keats, ”Plus an allowance to cover your costs. If you meet back here at 10.30 in the a.m., then we’ll get it all fixed up.”
OOC,Sorry for lack of posts. I went to the UK Games Expo at the weekend, and I’m still trying to catch-up on missed sleep :) How do you plan to get down to Louisiana?

Return to “Servants of the Lake”