Interlude

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Interlude

Post by Philulhu »

Monday, November 11th, 1929 5.00pm.
Offices of E.E. Saltonstall & Associates, Gedney Street, Arkham, Mass.

More than two weeks have passed since the events of Squatters Lake and Wiiliam is coming to the end of his first day back at work. His physical wounds have healed but the mental ones, and the nightmarish dreams that haunt his sleep, will take longer to resolve.

Returning to his desk after a bathroom break before he headed for home, William found a plain, white envelope sat on his desk jotter, presumably placed there by one of the secretaries before they went home for the evening. It was addressed to William Preston, care of the Fraser family residence.

William carefully slit the letter open and pulled out a single sheet of writing paper. In neat, almost childlike writing, the note stated,

“Dear Mr Preston,

Please forgive me for writing to you, but I am desperate for news of my beloved James.

I tried to contact his father but he has neither returned my calls nor responded to my letters.

I am sick with worry, I cannot sleep properly and Mrs Webster is very much concerned with my well-being.

If there is any news of James, I would be most grateful if you would write.

Sincerely yours,

Emily J. Living stone”.

OOC,William, please advise whether you are to discuss the letter with your fellow investigators and if you intend to reply.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Interlude

Post by Mr. Handy »

William shares the letter with the other survivors to discuss it with them before sending a reply, but he is leaning toward citing attorney-client confidentiality to avoid answering Emily's questions, though he may tell her that he believes James is still alive.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Howard King

"I think we should at least tell her that he fell in with a bad set and is on the run. Sure, she'll be heartbroken, but if he should show up, she'll at least be prepared."
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by peper757 »

"Let's tell her that he's okay, even if that's not exactly the full truth." says Thomas. "As long as he doesn't try to come back, there shouldn't be a problem."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says William. "I think we can at least tell her that much."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Would someone like to draft the letter?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Since Emily's letter was written to William, he writes the reply:

"Dear MIss Livingtone,

As Mr. Fraser's father is my client, there is a limit to what I can say due to attorney-client confidentiality. If you want to know the details, you will need to speak to him, in person if he is not otherwise reachable. I will say this much, that James Fraser is alive, but I would not expect his return. I cannot speak to his state of mind, but he does not seem to be himself. He has fallen in with a bad group of people. I regret that there is no more that I can say, and that I do not have better news for you.

Sincerely,
William Preston, Esquire"

William shows the letter to the others and asks if they recommend any changes before he mails it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Howard nods his consent.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by peper757 »

"I feel sorry for her but this is the best we can do.", Thomas says as he nods his head in agreement.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

William had posted his reply and exactly one week later, another letter had arrived, this time addressed to him at work.

The letter had read,

“Dear Mr Preston,

Thank you for your letter of November 11th, though I regret that Emily has been too distraught to reply personally.

Your news hit Emily hard, doubly so as James’ father has refused to have anything to do with her and has, in fact, threatened her with the police were she try to contact him again. The poor girl really does feel that she has lost everything.

I would beseech you, for Emily’s sake as well as for James himself, not to give up looking for him. Perhaps if you are in a position to write again, you might do so not as an employee of that cruel-hearted tyro, but as friend of the young man that Emily held so dear.

Sincerely yours,

Edna Webster (Mrs).”

OOC,The end of the interlude. We may meet Emily again in the future.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”