Page 1 of 1

Ch. 3.1 - On a Dark, Deserted Highway...

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 pm
by Philulhu
Saturday, October 26th, 1929 11.15am.
Harrison’s Hotel, Merrimac Bay, Mass.

The two vehicles travelled east, stopping just briefly at a couple of roadside cafes to show staff the picture of James and ask whether he had been seen. At both places, they were met with a shake of the head, but good wishes for their search.

At the junction with the main road, they carried on over towards the coast.The road towards the coast was quiet, although at this time of year that was not unexpected. The further they got though, the poorer the road condition was and all four men had been shaken up and down by the time that the hotel came into view.

It sat by the left side of the road, with views towards the sea and over the large empty car park. At first sight, it looked abandoned, with the windows shuttered and the paintwork shabby. A wooden sign with the name “Harrison’s Hotel” swung in the wind by the entrance to the car park.

As they nosed their vehicles onto the car park, heavy drops of rain started to fall onto the windscreen and the wind whipped fallen leaves around.

Re: Ch. 3.1 - On a Dark, Deserted Highway...

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

William parks his car near the door, so that he doesn't have to go far through the rain. Holding his hat on his head to keep from losing it to the wind, he hurries to the hotel.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:03 am
by HoneyDog
Howard follows William to the door. He doesn't like the look of this place.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence parks his truck next to William's car. He then follows the rest of the group to the hotel.

Upon arriving, he turns to the group to speak:
"Mighty fine weather we're having."

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm
by Philulhu
The hotel looked deserted. The door was locked and a faded sign stuck to the inside of the glass said ”Closed for family bereavement.”

Through the window, the hotel lobby was dark and the windows cobwebbed, making it difficult to see far inside.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:48 pm
by peper757
Thomas moves quickly in an attempt to shelter from the rain. He takes note of the sign, and says "They're closed. We might find that there's not anybody around to help us.".

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:22 am
by Bullfrog
"We won't get anything done just standing here. I say we kick down the door."

Lawrence backs up, ready to ram through the door.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hold on a minute," says William, holding up a hand. "Let's not get carried away. There may be someone there, anyway. We should try knocking." He raps on the door.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 pm
by Philulhu
The door rattled in the frame as William knocked, and a few flakes of paint fell and were carried away by the wind.

They waited, but there was no reply.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
“I don’t think anyone’s been here for a long time” says Howard. He shivers. "Maybe we should go check the other place".
OOC,Is there anything which looks like a garage visible?

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:24 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,No garage is visible from your vantage point.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says William. "If we need to, we can come back here another time, when they're open and when it isn't raining cats and dogs. There's no reason to break and enter."

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:52 pm
by peper757
"Not worth the paperwork..." Thomas remarks to himself. "I agree, the other place might be more lively."

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 am
by Bullfrog
"We should at least check around the outside of the building. For all we know, this place might not be as deserted as it looks.", Lawrence remarks, "Better safe than sorry."

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 am
by HoneyDog
"You're right" agrees Howard. "Let's take a quick look". He sets off around the building.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 pm
by peper757
"Right behind you." says Thomas as he follows Howard closely.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm
by Philulhu
The rear of the hotel looked even more abandoned than the front. A pile of old beds and broken furniture was piled against on wall and the windows looked as if someone had used them for target practice with a BB gun.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:44 pm
by Bullfrog
"I am highly disappointed by this turn of events. I'm considering the breaking-and-entering plan again."

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"How did that happen?" wonders William aloud.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 am
by peper757
"Looks just like regular vandalism to me." Thomas says. "If this place really is abandoned then there wouldn't be much to stop a couple of punks coming down and using the place as target practice." he explains.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:37 am
by HoneyDog
Howard shivers again in the cold rain.

"Let's get out of here" he says. "There's no-one around. We should head to the other location."

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:18 am
by Philulhu
Saturday, October 26th, 1929 3.35pm.
West Road, Newburyport, Mass.

After a break for lunch at another roadside diner, where yet again they had shown James’ photograph to no avail, the four young men had continued their journey west. The weather had intensified and the rain gusted down in sheets as they drove.

They were almost out by the crossing over Parker River when they spotted the sign - “Squatter’s Lake Hotel” - by the side of the road. An arrow underneath pointed up a side road, where a light could just about be made out in the distance.

The drive up to the hotel was treacherous as the rain obscured any potholes in the road and there were more than a couple of teeth-rattling thumps as the wheels dropped and then collided with the edge of unseen holes. After five minutes though, they pulled up in front of a low, clapboard hotel, where a solitary light burned in the reception, and a sign advertising ‘vacancies’ twisted in the wind... ...

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 am
by HoneyDog
“Another wonderful location” mutters Howard. Pulling up his collar, he exits the car and runs to the door of the reception.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"At least there's someone here this time," says William, hurrying for the front door after him.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 am
by Philulhu
The front door opened into a wide, rectangular reception area, with a gas lamp in the window and two more on the large reception desk in the middle of the room. A bell tinkled above the door as the young men entered.

Behind the desk was a closed door, with two stuffed boars’ heads with a shotgun mounted above. A board of room keys was also visible. On the left wall were pictures of people fishing and on the right, a collection of number plates, which the young men recalled had become a bit of a fad over the years.

On the desk stood a pot of pencils, and a small service bell in the shape of a swan.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am
by HoneyDog
An idea occurs to Howard.
OOC,Who has the envelope with the information about James? Howard is wondering if one of the number plates belongs to James’ car.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am
by Philulhu
OOC,I don’t think you specified who had it, tbh. Happy for you to go ahead and check.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard looks at the details supplied by James’ father. Number Plate AB 1652. He scans the number plates on the wall.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 pm
by Philulhu
Howard checked the plates on the wall but none of them matched the licence plate for James’ car.

Behind the desk, the door opened and a voice called out, ”I’ll be right with you.” There was squeaking noise as an older man in a wheelchair was pushed through the doorway. He was being pushed by a second man of a similar age, who parked the wheelchair and then wiped his hands on his faded blue coveralls as he moved to stand behind the desk.

”Good afternoon, gentlemen” the man said brightly, in a distinct British accent. ”Welcome to the Squatters Lake Hotel. Are you fellows here for the fishing? Great weather for it, isn’t it?! Let me just sort you out some rooms and then you can get out on the lake!”
OOC - Howard,Can I have a Spot Hidden check, please?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 pm
by Bullfrog
[Spoiler-Button][dice]0[/dice][/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - Howard,The licence plates are hung vertically on the wall. Alongside them, there was another line of nails, with faint shading on the wooden panelling, suggesting that another row of plates had been here, but had been removed.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good afternoon, sir," says William, doubtful that the weather is great for fishing - or for anything other than staying indoors. "We're looking for a friend of ours, James Fraser. We were wondering if he might have been here recently, or perhaps even still be here." He takes out the photograph and shows it to the man.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 am
by Philulhu
The old man fished out his reading glasses and looked closely at the photograph. ”He doesn’t look familiar,” he replied. ”Just bear with me...”

He reached under the desk and pulled out the guest book. He carefully turned the pages, reading the names on the last couple. ”No, no sign of a Mr Fraser,” he said, shaking his head as he closed the book. ”Sorry about that. Has your friend been missing long?”

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am
by peper757
"He's been missing for over a week, almost two." Thomas replies. "These number plates, are you a collector?"

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 am
by Philulhu
The old man looked at Thomas over his glasses, looked at the wall where Howard was standing, and then back to Thomas with a smile.

”We inherited those from the previous owners when we bought the place,” he said. ”I keep thinking we should do something with them but we never quite get around to it.”

”But where are my manners?! I haven’t introduced myself. My name is William and this is my brother, Robert.”
. William leaned forward and said quietly, ”Robert doesn’t say much, not since he took a funny turn a few years ago.”

William straightened up and smiled. ”So, is there anything else I can do for you gentlemen today?”

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
“I guess not” says Howard, disappointed. “Do you know of any other hotels or motels in the area we could check?”

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:06 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Who’s Harold? :?

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm
by Philulhu
William pondered a moment. ”The only places around here are in Newburyport or one of the other towns. Have you tried Amesbury or Arkham?” He thinks for a moment more and says, ”Have you tried Harrison’s Hotel by the coast? They run a nice place.”
OOC - Lawrence,Sorry, just realised that it was Lawrence who did the spot hidden check, not Howard. Lawrence go ahead and read the entry at 21.20 on 14 November.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 pm
by peper757
"'Harrison's Hotel', where exactly is it?" asks Thomas.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 am
by HoneyDog
“It’s where we just came from” says Howard absently.

“That place has closed down now” he says to William. “It seems pretty deserted, like no-one has been there for some time. I guess you didn’t know.”

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "I'm William too, William Preston," he says, holding out his hand for a shake. "There was a sign that said the place was closed for family bereavement, and there were holes in the building, like from a BB gun."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:05 am
by Philulhu
”Always a pleasure to meet a fellow William,” replied the old man, as he shook William’s hand.

”I’d heard that Mrs Harrison was unwell - cancer, I believe - so it sounds like she may have passed,” he shook his head sadly. ”And their place is empty, you say? Not surprised it’s been vandalised. We sometimes get people out here causing problems, even though we’re out in the sticks.”

He glanced out of the window, where the rain continued to hammer down. ”So, are you gentlemen planning to stay?” he asked.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard scratches his head. He doesn’t really want to stay.

“Er…” he begins, addressing his companions, “what’s our next move, fellows? Shall we get back on the highway?”

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"How far is our next stop?" asks William. "The rain is coming down hard, maybe we should just stay here tonight and hope the weather improves by morning if it's a long way."

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:45 am
by Philulhu
”If you keeping heading west,” said William, ”There probably isn’t another hotel for forty miles. In this weather, I would be inclined to stay indoors, if I could.”

”As it so happens,” he continued, ”We have four rooms available. There are a mix of singles, a double and a twin, but they’re all the same price - 50c per night.”

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:42 am
by HoneyDog
Howard sighs. “We don’t have a destination yet anyway, do we?” he looks anxiously out the window. “I suppose we could stay. We’ll need to discuss our next move.”

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think that's a good idea," says William.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:27 pm
by peper757
”Couldn’t hurt, I suppose.” Thomas says. ”I’m not sure if he would have been to this other hotel though, it seems out of his way somewhat.”

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:05 am
by Bullfrog
"I say we stay. Driving in this weather is just asking to crash.", says Lawrence.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:07 am
by Philulhu
”An excellent choice,” smiled William. ”We have four rooms available. One double, two singles and a twin, all at 50 cents a night. Would you like a room each? I’m not expecting any further guests arriving tonight.”

He opened the guest book to a fresh page and made a note of their names and the room numbers in which they were staying, before turning the book for the young men to sign. ”Let me show you to your rooms, gentlemen,” said William and lead them back through the front door and to the left, trying to shelter from the rain under the shallow roof of the veranda that ran down the side of the hotel.

The four rooms were side-by-side, running down towards the lake behind the hotel. They were about 15 feet square, all wood panelled except for the party wall between the rooms, which appeared to be plasterboard, covered in faded wallpaper. A door in the party wall - for when families stayed who needed more than one room, William explained - joined the room to its neighbour, although all were bolted on both sides. In the corner of each room was a small bathroom, with a toilet, shower and sink. Aside from a bed (or beds in the case of the twin room), there was a dressing table, stool, a small dining table and two chairs. A small bookcase with well-thumbed books and a woven rug on the floor finished off the rooms.

One by one William showed the men their rooms, explained how the shower worked and finished by saying, ”There isn’t really anywhere local to eat out and most people bring there own food. We don’t have hot food tonight but I dare say we could rustle you up some sandwiches, if you’re hungry?“
OOC,Are you taking a room each or are you sharing?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 am
by HoneyDog
“Sandwiches sound fine, thanks” says Howard, who will eat anything. He’s already hungry.
OOC,I think Howard would prefer his own room.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be most kind," says William. "I'll stay in one of the single rooms tonight."

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:33 pm
by peper757
"And I'll take the other single." Thomas adds. "While we're waiting for these sandwiches we can discuss the places where we think James could have gone."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:21 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[b]Howard[/b] has the twin room (room 1 - nearest the road), [b]Wiiliam [/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] have the middle two singles (rooms 2 & 3 respectively) and [b]Lawrence[/b] has the double (room 4 - nearest to the lake).
”Very good,’ replied William. “I will return with your sandwiches shortly.” He shuffled out of the door, leaving the young men on their own.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Something must have happened to him along the way," says William. "We just have to keep retracing his steps in reverse until we find someone who remembers him. That means whatever happened probably was after that point. I'm not sure what might have happened, exactly. If it were a kidnapping, there surely would have been a ransom demand by now. I can't imagine he would willingly not go to Emily."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 am
by HoneyDog
”He may have had an accident” says Howard. ”I think it’s about time we told the state police. James could be in a hospital somewhere. Or worse. At this rate it could take weeks to track him down. I say we go to the police tomorrow.”

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"We promised his father we wouldn't involve the police," says William. "If he'd wanted to call them, he'd have done it himself. Instead, he called us."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:22 am
by Bullfrog
"I'd have to agree with William", says Lawrence,"We made a promise, and we can't go back on it, at least not yet."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:42 pm
by HoneyDog
”But he’s already been reported missing to the Amesbury police” argues Howard. ”So how are we betraying any confidences? And my loyalty is to James anyway, not his father.”

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:52 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Can everyone make a listen roll and a luck roll, please?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:11 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC:   Luck: [dice]0[/dice]  
OOC:   Listen: [dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 am
by peper757
"Let's not involve the police until we've exhausted all possible leads." Thomas adds hastily. "Besides, it's likely that they'll just check the places we've already searched."
OOC:   Luck (80%):
[dice]0[/dice]  
OOC:   Listen (40%):
[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

William hears nothing.
OOC,Listen roll (60% skill) in the lobby: [dice]0[/dice] Luck roll (65% stat) in the lobby: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am
by HoneyDog
“The police are already involved, that’s what I’m saying” says Howard, testily. “And the state cops will already know if any accidents have been reported. We can save ourselves a lot of work. James will have been gone for eleven days come tomorrow!”
Rolls,Luck 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/679087]Luck[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]88[/b] Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/679088]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]46[/b]

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:06 am
by Philulhu
OOC - Thomas,As the others argued about the best course of action, [b]Thomas’[/b] attention was drawn by the sound of raised voices outside. As he looked out of the window, he could see Wiiliam talking to a younger man outside the reception door. The younger man had wild red hair and thick black-rimmed glasses. He appeared agitated and was punctuating his argument with exaggerated gestures. As he listened carefully, [b]Thomas[/b] could hear a bit of what he said. [color=#FF00FF]“You said you don’t know if he’d stayed here. I know he did as he told me so!”[/color] William held out his hands in a mollifying gesture. [color=#0040FF]“Now calm down young sir. There are people trying to rest here.”[/color] The younger man spluttered, [color=#FF40FF]“Rest? Here? What with all the noises under the rooms at night? Good luck to them! Now what room did he stay in? Tell me that?”[/color] William appeared to grow angry and snapped back in return, [color=#0040FF]“I said I don’t know and that’s my final answer. Now stop bothering me or you can get the hell out of my hotel!”[/color] He stared down the younger man, who threw his hands up in desperation and stomped off around the corner. William watched the young man depart then turned to go into the hotel. As he did so, he saw [b]Thomas[/b] watching him and they locked eyes. William watched him coldly for a moment or so, but then his demeanour changed like someone had flicked a switch, and he smiled again, gave a [i]‘what can you do’[/i] shrug, and walked into the hotel reception.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:40 pm
by peper757
"Strange..." Thomas begins, interrupting the others. "The owner was just having a heated discussion with a man outside; apparently he was looking for someone but the owner furiously denied that he was ever here before the man stormed off. He also said something about strange noises at night in this place..."

He stops to think for a second, before asking "Do we think this could be related to James? Perhaps that was a friend who knew where he was supposed to be going."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's possible," says William. "Shall we see if we can catch up to the man before he gets too far?"

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:58 am
by HoneyDog
Howard is already putting on his coat.

"Let's go!" he says.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods, puts on his own coat, and hurries outside with him.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:07 am
by peper757
Thomas takes the lead and begins to head towards the front of the hotel. "Let's move quickly; we're looking for a younger man with red hair and glasses. Try to avoid the owner, I'm sure he won't be too pleased if he sees us."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:55 pm
by Philulhu
The young man couldn’t be seen, nor William, the proprietor, although on the other side of the hotel, a door was heard to slam.
Map of the Hotel,[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Philulhu/squatters_lake_motel_zpspybcq8md.png[/img] As stated above, [b]Howard[/b] has the twin room (room 1 - nearest the road), [b]Wiiliam [/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] have the middle two singles (rooms 2 & 3 respectively) and [b]Lawrence[/b] has the double (room 4 - nearest to the lake).

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 am
by HoneyDog
Howard heads in the direction of the reception.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

William heads for the sound of the slamming door.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - Howard,[b]Howard[/b] walked up to the reception door. Through the window, he could see William’s brother, Robert, sat in his wheelchair as if he had been abandoned. He stared through the glass at [b]Howard[/b], a flat, almost malevolent stare that caused the hairs on the back of [b]Howard’s[/b] neck to rise... ...
OOC - William,[b]William[/b] rounded the corner of the hotel to find four identical doors to the side where he was staying. Of the young man, there was no sign.
OOC - Thomas & Lawrence,What are you doing?

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:29 pm
by peper757
Thomas follows after William.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:29 am
by HoneyDog
“Jeez” thinks Howard. “What a creep!”

He backs off and continues in the direction of the main road.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't be sure which of these doors was slammed," William says to Thomas. "Shall we try knocking?"

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:57 am
by peper757
"Good idea." Thomas says in reply. "I'll head to the other end and start there."

He hurries to the door of room 8 and knocks loudly.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

William knocks on the door of Room 5.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:39 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence also goes in the direction of the slamming door.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am
by Philulhu
There was no answer to William’s knock at door number five.

At number eight, the door cracked open and the young man with red hair and glasses looked out suspiciously. ”What can I do for you?” he asked Thomas.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that Thomas got an answer, William heads over to room eight to join him.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
The young man’s flicked between Thomas and William. ”Are you from the police?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

William lets Thomas, who actually is a police officer even if from another jurisdiction, answer.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm
by peper757
"We're not on police business, no, but we'd like to ask you about you encounter with the hotel's owner just now. Has a friend of yours gone missing?" Thomas asks with a friendly demeanor.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:29 am
by Philulhu
”Yes” the young man said. ”I was due meet my friend, Abe....” His eyes flicked to Lawrence and Howard who were loitering in the background, and narrowed suspiciously. ”Are those men with you?”

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:12 pm
by peper757
Thomas glances over his shoulder before answering; "Yes, they're with us. Your friend Abe, can you tell us about him? When did you learn that he was missing?"

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:36 pm
by Philulhu
”Abe was travelling up from Boston to see me” the young man said, looking back at Thomas. ”He rang me the night before I arrived and said he would meet me here.”

He looked emotional as he continued, ”I’ve been here three weeks now, and Abe still hasn’t showed up. I asked the proprietor if he’d been here, but he says not. I’m not sure I believe him!”

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"There seems to be a pattern of people disappearing," says William. "We're looking for a friend of ours who also disappeared and may have stayed here, though the proprietor denies it." He shows him the photograph. "His name is James Fraser. If you've been here three weeks, perhaps you remember him. He only disappeared a week and a half ago."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:19 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence speaks up: "I'm not quite sure if it's relevant, but did any of you notice the missing licence plates in the collection? It looks like some were removed."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I haven't noticed that myself," says William. "Now that is interesting. Maybe James's license plate is hidden somewhere. Do you know your friend Abe's license plate number, sir?" he adds to the redheaded man.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 am
by peper757
Thomas' questions become more serious. "Have you seen anybody acting suspiciously? What about the noises at night you mentioned to the owner?"

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 am
by Philulhu
The young man said. ”I’ve heard noises under the floor sometimes, at night. Sometimes it’s sounded like something scrabbling, sometimes it’s been a knocking sound. William said it was probably a raccoon, looking for something to eat or building a nest or somesuch.”

He took the photograph of James and looked at it more closely. “Yeah, I saw him the night I got here, but I didn’t get the chance to say hello. In the morning, I noticed his car was gone - his licence plate was AB, wasn’t it? Made me think of my Abe...”

“I guess he must have left. But if William says he was never here then he’s lying. I saw him as clear as I can see you fellows today.”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
“That’s it then” says Howard. “Let’s go to the police and tell them what we’ve learned. Something strange is undoubtedly going on here. Who’s got the car keys?”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's him," says Wiliam to the young man with a nod. To Howard he adds. "We're going to need some evidence to present the police. We know he's lying to us, but can we prove he did anything criminal? As an attorney, I'm all too aware that it's not enough to know something is true. You must be able to prove it. Besides, if we alert the police, and they talk to him, he can then kill our friends to dispose of them if they're being held alive somewhere. The noises under the floor might indicate that there are secret tunnels or passageways under the hotel. If we can find out how to get into them, we might find the proof we need. We may even find our friends."

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm
by peper757
After looking around to ensure they weren't being eavesdropped on, Thomas says "Clearly there is more than meets the eye here. We need to be careful of the other William and the man he was with as we came in, but it seems very likely that there's something going on underneath this hotel." After a few moments, he adds "How are we going to go about this?"

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard is unconvinced but he assents.

"Secret tunnels? I doubt it. But we better start looking around. We shouldn't let on to those old bastards that we know something. Maybe we should distract them somehow. And if we don't find anything by tomorrow morning, I’m going to the police, whether you all agree or not.”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:09 pm
by Philulhu
From the front of the hotel there was the noise of a door closing, as if someone had come out of the reception area.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’ll go see who that is and keep them busy” says Howard. “You guys better work out where you’re gonna start.”

He strides off towards the reception.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 pm
by Philulhu
Howard around the corner to see William making his way down the steps in front of the reception. He was hunched over the tray that he carried, so Howard could not be sure whether William had seen him, or if he had seen where he came from.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
“Hi there!” says Howard loudly, as cheerfully as he can muster, and so that the others can hear him. “Are those our sandwiches? That’s great! We’re famished!”

He walks up to William, holding out his hands. “I can take it from here!”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:25 pm
by Philulhu
William looked up with a start. ”Oh! I did not seem you there,” he said. He walked up to Howard and passed him the tray, which had a tea towel over the sandwiches to try to keep the rain off them.

He looked from Howard to the door of his room. ”Let me get the door for you,” he said. William turned the handle and pushed the door open, looking in carefully before he stepped back to allow Howard to enter. He looked back at Howard and smiled pleasantly. ”Your friends must still be in their rooms. Would you like me to call them for you?”

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 am
by HoneyDog
“No need” says Howard quickly, placing the tray on the bed. “We’ll be eating together in here. Let me walk back with you actually” he continues. “I was thinking of taking a fishing trip myself when the weather improves”.

He moves towards the door and gently takes William's arm. “Perhaps you can tell me what I could expect to catch in early Spring?”

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:12 am
by Philulhu
”Bass mainly,” replied William. ”Both smallmouth and large. If you pop over to the reception later, I can check our room availability.”

He smiled at Howard and said ”Enjoy your sandwiches. If you need anything, please ask,” and then walked off in the direction of the hotel reception.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 am
by peper757
Thomas address the rest of the party; "I'm going to start by looking around the outside of the hotel, see if I can find anything suspicious. If not, I'll try the rest of the grounds."
He begins to walk towards the back of the hotel.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence follows Thomas outside. He then says:
"I hope you don't mind me joining you. This whole situation is suspect. The license plates, the disappearing people, the alleged sounds; the whole thing just doesn't feel right."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:56 am
by peper757
"Of course." Thomas says to Lawrence. "If anything is afoot we'll be better off looking around together, less we also meet a strange fate..."

"Perhaps it's just instinct but there's too many coincidences."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking, let's stick together," says William, following along. "Underground tunnels are not as crazy as they sound. Bootleggers use them all the time. They don't usually go around kidnapping people, though. There may be secret entrances in the rooms. That would let him snatch people in their sleep and get them out without anyone noticing. We should search our rooms when we're done outside."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 am
by HoneyDog
Howard waits a moment and steps out too, wanting to make sure that William has returned to the reception.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 am
by Philulhu
At the lake side, a wooden jetty jutted out into the water. On the bank nearby were three tarpaulin-covered rowing boats, presumably used for fishing. The lake itself was dark, the surface rippled with the falling rain.

On the other side of the lake stood some decrepit looking buildings and a muddy path leads both north and south around the lake, the southern path entering a small corpse of trees that border the edge of the lake.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,If William has gone back to the reception, Howard will attempt to find the others.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,At present, I’m assuming that they are at the end of the hotel nearest the lake, as no one has set off exploring yet.It’s no problem for Howard to find them.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

William takes a look under the tarps, careful to hold them so that the rain is still kept off of them.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 pm
by Philulhu
The tarpaulin on two of the boats had clearly leaked as water had pooled in the bottom, but the third was mostly dry. All three boats had oars stowed under the tarpaulin.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

William replaces the tarps and inform the others. "Shall we check out those buildings?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence agrees: "Absolutely."

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
Howard catches up with the others. William thinks we’re having sandwiches in my room. We’d best not be too long, he might decide to come back soon.”

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Which way are you heading? Or would you prefer to travel by boat?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,What might the quickest way look like to the characters from their vantage point?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Heading left/north looks to be the closet way.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 pm
by HoneyDog
"Let's take the left-hand path" says Howard. "It looks like the most direct route."

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

William nods and follow along.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 am
by peper757
Thomas follows the others, taking in the surroundings and occasionally glancing at the hotel behind them.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:44 am
by Philulhu
The path lead around the northern edge of the lake before it turned south again and carried on until they could see the buildings they had first observed from the other bank. The buildings have obviously been abandoned for some time, as they were overgrown and belongings left behind had long since eroded or broken down, leaving shards of rusted metal and broken pottery underfoot.

Although there was no sign of anyone in the buildings, the investigators couldn’t shake the feeling that they were being watched.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says William. "Let's go back to the hotel."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes” says Howard, peering anxiously around him. “Maybe we can try and search the other guest rooms”.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:11 am
by Philulhu
By the time the four men walked back to the hotel, the light had started to fade and tendrils of mist were rising from the lake. In their absence, the gas lanterns along the side of the hotel had been lit. Of the owners or other guests, there were no signs.

Under the tea towel in Howard’s room, the edges of the sandwiches had started to curl.
Time check,It is now 6.30pm.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Arriving back at the room, Howard sees the tray of sandwiches. He is starving but wary. He picks up a sandwich and sniffs at it. "I hope they haven’t poisoned this” he tells the others. His hunger getting the better of him, he takes a bite.
OOC,Isn’t the other guest with us?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm
by Philulhu
Howard chewed on the sandwich. It was tasty but dry.
OOC,No, he stayed in his room. [i]First draft. [b]Howard[b] chewed on the sandwich. It was tasty but dry. After a monent or two, he could feel his throat start to constrict and it was only a matter of monents before his brain registered that he couldn’t breathe and the realisation brought on a massive, and fatal, heart attack. From the reception area, the faint sound of sardonic laughter could be heard... ...[/i]

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He might have drugged the sandwiches," says William. "Nobody should eat any until we see if it affected you. In the meantime, let's see if there are any hollow walls or secret passages or anything." He begins to search the room.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) searching the room: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence takes William's advice and doesn't eat the sandwiches.
Can't be too careful

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 am
by Philulhu
Howard had showed no ill effects as a result of eating the sandwich so the indications were that they were fit to eat.
OOC,If searching the room(s), can you say where you are searching and/or what you are looking for?

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that the sandwiches are safe to eat, William takes one and begins to chew on it as he searches.
OOC,I'm searching [b]Howard[/b]'s room right now (where the sandwiches were left), and I'm looking for any secret passages that could provide a way for someone to get into or out of the room, probably in the walls or the floor. If there's a peephole or something that would let someone look inside, I'd like to know that too.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 am
by HoneyDog
Howard is still hungry and he eyes the other sandwiches covetously.

“Do you not want yours, then?” he asks Lawrence.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 am
by Bullfrog
"There is absolutely no chance of me eating a sandwich. I do not trust their treacherous food."
OOC:   Is there a window in the room? If so, Lawrence flings the sandwich out the window.  

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 am
by Philulhu
Lawrence threw his sandwich out of the window, much to Howard’s dismay. It landed in the mud, where it was immediately fought over by a couple of crows.

William’s checked out the room while ate his sandwich. The door to the adjoining room was unlocked, but had a heavy bolt at the top so although it moved in the frame, it seemed secure. Turning the rug in the middle of the floor, however, exposed what appeared to be a trapdoor, with a heavy ring in the middle...

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
The sight of the trapdoor makes Howard forget about the sandwich. He whistles slowly.

“Gee, Mr. Preston!” he exclaims. “Guess I owe you an apology! Let’s take a look! Does anyone have a flashlight?”

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've got a lighter," says Howard. "Perhaps Thomas would have a flashlight." He grasps the ring and tries to open the trapdoor.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:31 am
by peper757
OOC:   Thomas hands over his flashlight, if he has one.  
"Do you need a hand with that?", Thomas asks. He then adds "Maybe we should have a lookout, to keep a watch out for prying eyes...".

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 am
by Philulhu
William pulled at the ring but the trapdoor was shut tight and whatever held it in place wasn’t budging.
OOC,Sorry for the lack of an update yesterday. I’m on my hols and just ran out of time :oops:

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It must be bolted from below," says William. "The other rooms probably have them too. We can keep it from being opened by putting something heavy on top of it, but if we're going to get down there, we'll have to find another way in."

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:16 am
by HoneyDog
"If there's a tunnel, I bet there's an entrance at the reception somewhere" says Howard.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am
by Philulhu
OOC,The only items of any weight are a small bookcase and the bed, although that’s a frame bed, rather than a divan, so potentially there would be a gap between the underside of the bed and the floor.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am
by peper757
"I'd bet that you're right, Howard, but we'd have to distract the owner for a while if we wanted to search it." Thomas says.

"Perhaps we could try breaking the trapdoor or forcing it open somehow?" he suggests.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm
by HoneyDog
"Before we try that" Howard says, "maybe we should check the other rooms and see if they have trapdoors too. Maybe one can be opened."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says William. "We can check the rest of our rooms. Now that we know what to look for, it should be easier to find them. I don't think anything less than an axe will break open that trapdoor, and that would leave some rather obvious traces even if we had one."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:14 pm
by Philulhu
A search of the other three rooms revealed that they all had a trapdoor under the rug. All appeared to be fixed in place with no means of being opened from above.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm
by HoneyDog
”I don’t see how we can get into this tunnel from the rooms” says Howard. ”Shall we wait until late and then check the reception?”

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:43 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence puts any large, heavy thing in his room on his room's trapdoor.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard watches Lawrence wrestling with the furniture.

I’ve had another idea” he intones. ”How do you think about leaving one trapdoor unblocked? We can surprise whoever comes out and finally get some answers.”

The thought of giving some creep a good beating cheers Howard immensely.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 am
by Bullfrog
"Hmmmm.... A fine idea. I could pummel just about anything that comes through that door into a bleeding pulp."

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:44 am
by peper757
"Not a bad idea. There might be some rope outside we could use to restrain whoever comes up through there." Thomas says.

"I'll go look now." he adds, before starting leaving the room.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent suggestion," says William. "We can leave the trapdoor in the biggest room unblocked, and we'll all stay in it."

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 am
by Philulhu
A quick search of the environs yielded a short length of rope approximately 10 feet long, coiled in the bow of one of the rowing boats. It was a bit frayed but looked sturdy enough.

None of the furniture on its own was particularly heavy, but a combination of the bookshelf and a bed would be sufficient to slow down anything coming through the trapdoor, if not stop it altogether.
OOC,Is there anything else you want to do, before I move the story on?

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 am
by Bullfrog
OOC:   nothing for me. Fixin' to completely pummel whoever comes through that door.  

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 am
by peper757
Thomas returns to the room, keeping the rope on him.
OOC:   That's me done.  

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm ready.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, please continue.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK, I’ll update tonight. In the meantime, what are your plans? You’re staying on one room - are you sleeping? Taking turns to keep watch?

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:19 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Taking turns might be best, but I would suggest two watch while two sleep - if they are surprised it might be too much for just one man.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,I'll agree on the turn-taking idea.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 pm
by Philulhu
When you use the Spoiler Button you need to put something like “OOC,” or “Lawrence,” before your text to make the spoiler button work. The comma is the seperator between the title and the text. For example:
This is the Title,This is the Text. If you ‘quote’ this post, you’ll see how I set up this spoiler button.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That sounds good to me too. I'll volunteer to be one of the two guards on the second shift.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:11 pm
by Bullfrog
ooc,I'll be on the first shift.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Sorry for the delay - I’ll post an update tonight.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard can do the first shift too.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
The investigation continues here: When the night comes...