OOC Chat

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Re: OOC Chat

Post by Bullfrog »

That reminds me, many of the games here, at least in the classic era section, don't seem as active as this one.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

A bunch of them have been abandoned, but there are some that are simply on hold because replacement players are needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Crazy that you had a game going for five years, though. This one's been going for what, two or three?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah. It's even crazier that the original run of Zombie Apocalypse was running for ten years (each chapter, and there were seven, is about the length of a regular-length scenario), and my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign is still running after over eleven years, currently early in its sixth adventure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Eleven years? That's worthy of a comedic spit-take. That's more than half my life, though I'm probably one of the younger members of the forum.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Let me add my usual plug that Zombie Apocalypse is a great deal of fun. I highly recommend you check it out, Mr.Handy does amazing work with it.

I think my longest game was a Vampire campaign that ran about 6 years and took my character from 1066 up to 1800 something. Ended prematurely, it was supposed to go to modern day.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Servants was written to be a one-shot that could be played in a single session. It’s fair to say we’ve extended it quite a bit (even allowing for the PbF format) 🙂

I think the whole RPG sector had a big shot in the arm with lockdown but now life is starting to get back to normal (for some of us, at least), the usual time restraints are starting to bite.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

I know the original Servants is a published module. I've never read it, but am impressed with how you expanded it. You should change some of the names and try to get it published. ;)
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

I actually did read Servants once, though I didn't really remember much of it. Your expansions on it have been amazing, though, especially the Louisiana excursion; the climax of that one is possibly my favorite RPG moment I've ever experienced.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Silver Priest! Zombie Apocalypse could sure use some new players as I prepare to start Chapter 2. I've actually had less time since the lockdown, not more, which is one reason why I haven't yet found the time to get it rolling.

That Vampire campaign sounds awesome! Too bad it never caught up to the present.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bullfrog wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:02 pm I actually did read Servants once, though I didn't really remember much of it. Your expansions on it have been amazing, though, especially the Louisiana excursion; the climax of that one is possibly my favorite RPG moment I've ever experienced.
I’m pleased to hear it :D

I did look at writing it up but obviously couldn’t use the Brophys and I think it’s the original scenario which makes it work - it brings the investigators together and gives them a reason to keep going in order to avenge their friend’s death. Without that starting point, it wouldn’t had the same coherence.

I’ve also played a bit fast & loose with some elements of the rules to benefit the story, as well as made up bits on the fly about Arkham and Brichester, which I’d need to check against published material to make sure they tallied. There’s a certain amount of leeway when you’re doing your own thing that wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny if published ‘as-is’ ;)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The end approaches for this scenario and we have two lots of events happening semi-simultaneously, so please, no peeking at the thread you’re not involved in ;)
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

GILMAN VS. BROPHY, LIVE PAY-PER-VIEW MATCH AT THE YSDC ARENA.

Things probably aren't going so great for the gang right now, but at least it makes for an excellent dramatic finale.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Serves you all right for letting Sean die… :D
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

He was only a temporary, but you still made him pretty likeable. And probably the only sane person in the party, really.

At least we'll get to see what Ivy gets up to, I suppose, once this "sub-optimal" situation resolves itself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sorry about that. :oops: Brophy's illusion had us fooled. I should have known better.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

It’s cool :)
It’s been an interesting experience playing Sean: a character who really should’ve just run away from all this madness at the start. But that wouldn’t be very interesting as a player, so striking the right balance was a challenge.
In the end he was literally forced at gunpoint to participate!
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

And so another chapter ends, with somehow only a single party fatality. Pour one out for Sean, who will not be writing an article about the crazy Americans he hung out with for a while.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At least Brophy got what was coming to him. Zippo: lights the first time, every time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

That was a beautifully ironic end for the fiend. In other news, good old Larry Gilman is probably going to end up developing pyromania someday, once he inevitably is stricken with indefinite insanity.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”