Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Post by jp1885 »

“Normally I’d suggest the latter,” Ivy replies. “But no doubt word will get out that we’re looking for him, so perhaps we should strike while the iron is hot.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Which one first? Precinct or Kasper residence?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kasper residence I reckon.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Agreed.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Monday, September 1st, 1930 4.05pm
132a Ashburton Street, Providence, R.I.

Ashburton Street turned out to be a string of mismatched houses in an insalubrious part of town. Once grand family homes were now subdivided into apartments and let to immigrants and those who were low paid or down on their luck. Anyone with money or prospects had long since moved on.

As Alex guided his car to the kerb, the neighbourhood stopped to watch. Children playing in the street, women gossiping on their front step and even a few old men sat around a folding table watching a game of chequers being played, turned to look at the two interlopers.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex feels very much like an outsider. An entire neighborhood observing their activities was not conducive to effective police work, but things would hopefully be entirely aboveboard here. Mr. Kasper had committed no crime, and hopefully things could be resolved amicably.

Heading up the steps, he knocks on the door.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy also feels uncharacteristically uncomfortable, but tries to hide it beneath a haughty facade.

As Alex knocks, Ivy hangs back a little, keeping an eye on the car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

After a short wait, a bleary-eyed man answered the door. He looked to be in his mid thirties, tall with brown hair with a careworn look about him. He blinked a few times - he’d clearly been asleep. He smacked his lips a couple times and Alex was treated to a breath of stale beer, garlic and halitosis.

”Whaddaya want, waking up a guy at this time?” he grumbled, frowning. He blinked again and said, ”Hey, are you the Feds? Gonna throw that worthless bum in prison and get me what’s rightfully mine?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good afternoon Sir," Alex says, having to hold back a grimace. "Are you Mr. Abraham Kasper?

"I'm Detective Alexander Reynolds, Arkham Police. My Associate Ms. Ripley and I would like to ask you a few questions about Mr.Joshua Winscott. May we come in?
" He's almost hoping the answer is no.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kasper looked up and down the street. ”I ain’t go no problem with people knowin’ my business.”

”Besides,” he continued, raising his voice, ”It’s about time people started takin’ me seriously! Not like these assholes!” There was mocking laughter and howls of abuse from the neighbours in response, to which Kasper scowled and flipped them the bird.

”Anyway, whaddaya wanna know?” he said, turning back to Alex and Ivy.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Perhaps you could tell us your side of the story,” suggests Ivy. “Why do you think Mrs. Winscott was murdered? How have you been cheated of your inheritance?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Well, me and Josh Winscott are cousins, see?” said Kasper. ”He’s about ten months older’n me. Everyone thought that he was the clever one, goin’ off to college and gettin’ himself a fancy degree, but he comes back with his tail between his legs when he can’t find no job. Aunt Flo takes pity on him an’ gives him some money to take a holiday an’ next thing you know, he’s callin’ himself a ‘travel writer’ an’ people’s givin’ him money to go away!” He shook his head incredulously.

”Now while he’s off galivantin’, who d’ya think’s looking after the old broad? Me, that’s who! Not that I was expectin’ anything, no. Just did it out o’ the goodness o’ my heart!” A look of piety crossed his face before he continued.

”Stands to reason that Josh got wind of how well I was lookin’ after old Flo and decided to put a stop to it! Stands to reason that he could see his inheritance disappearin’, so I reckon he bumped her off. He knew the old bat would change her will in my favour sooner or later so he rubbed her out!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That's concerning information sir," Alex manages with a straight face. Inwardly though he's scrutinizing the man's mannerisms to see if there's even a hint of genuine concern or suspicion here or if it's motivated by pure bitterness-- as he strongly suspects. "We'll swing by Mr. Winscott's later today and have a talk with him, and I'll also instruct the coroner to look for any signs of foul play."

1d100
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[76] = 76
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 76 ] = 76

Ivy’s eyes narrow.

“What evidence do you have to back up your accusation?” she asks.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kasper rolled his eyes. ”You out o’ town Feds ain’t too bright, are yer?”

”Like I said, it stands to reason that he bumped off the old witch,” he said slowly, as if talking to a pair of simpletons. ”He was always the golden boy and he couldn’t stand the fact that I was gettin’ more popular with Flo, so he came back to bump her off afore she had chance to change her will.”

”As for proof, well ain’t that your job? I’ve reported a crime now you go investigate!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Clearly us country rubes haves a lot to learn,” mutters Ivy, sotto voice.

“Well, unless my colleague here has anything else to ask, we’ll continue our investigation.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

'Indeed. Thank you for reporting your concerns, Mr. Kasper. Though perhaps next time use your real name. Speaking with you has proven informative." In more than one way. "We'll go have a talk with Mr. Winscott at once."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As Alex and Ivy take their leave, Ivy let’s out an exasperated sigh.

“Apart from a case of sour grapes, that was a colossal waste of time!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That's my thinking as well," Alex nods. "Though to be honest, I'm relieved. My first case back needed to be something a bit more mundane.

"I suppose we can probably close the books on this one, and report to the local police that it's very likely there's no merit to Mr. Kasper's accusations
."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Hm, it’d be remiss of us not to speak to Mr. Winscott first,” replies Ivy. “Once we’re sure everything is above-board, then we can return to the station.”

Return to “Servants of the Lake”