Ch. 9 Copperhead Road

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Ch. 9 Copperhead Road

Post by Philulhu »

”Very well,” replied Brophy. ”Now, James and I must practice again.”

This time it was William who felt the effect of James’ attempt to create a mental link. He found himself momentarily unable to move but the feeling passed quickly as soon as he realised what was happening. He felt light-headed and could hear Brophy’s murmured instructions to James.
OOC,Lawrence - [dice]0[/dice] William - [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I felt it that time," says William. "I couldn't move. I think it worked."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"It looks like we're on, then" says Howard, grimly. "You grab the guard from the right, Thomas. I'll go left. Try and get his arms."
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Didn't affect me, that time..." Lawrence half-murmurs, talking to nobody in particular. "Anyways, planning ain't really my strong suit; I'll just do whatever makes sense to do, unless one of you jave a better idea."
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by peper757 »

"Okay, Howard." Thomas says. He sits down on the floor, attempting to conserve some energy.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Brophy conferred with James in the guttural language they shared. James said his connection wasn’t strong. He said it was like sand running through his fingers as he tried to control your actions. There is more we can do, but it will involve sacrificing something of both of us, so we cannot practice again within weakening ourselves to the point that we could not escape with you.”

Brophy sat down on the cell floor, his head resting against the bars.”We must rest,” he said. ”We will require all our strength for what is coming...”

- - -

The rest of the day passed quietly. Periodically Brophy would talk to James, preparing him for what was to come. Once their plan of action had been decided, Howard, Lawrence, Thomas and William were left with their thoughts as they waited for the guards to return. The hours stretched out infinitesimally and it seemed that the guards would never come but at last they heard the key turn in the lock and they smelled the food that they were being brought for their pre-ritual supper.

Brophy whispered some last minute instructions to James as the guards approached. The older of the two cradled a rifle in his arms and watched on as his younger colleague approached the cells with a tray of food. As he knelt to push the tray up to the bars, nothing happened for a moment, then Brophy and James swiftly started chanting in unison, ”Iä! Iä! Gla’aki! Iä! Iä!”. Both guards looked startled, looking at each other questioningly, until the guard with the rifle suddenly stood upright, his eyes rolling backwards and blood-flecked foam starting to form at his mouth...
OOC,[dice]0[/dice] SAN checks, please.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Again, William's psyche hangs by the slenderest of threads.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing what [b]James[/b] does to the guard: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

Sanity 62,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence does not react well to this horrific sight, backing away from the bars in terror.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

SAN,SAN 49: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/774557]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]61[/b]
Howard is also shocked at the sight, automatically averting his gaze from the horror.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by peper757 »

Sanity (79),[dice]0[/dice]
Thomas takes advantage of the distraction and grabs the other guard by the arm, pulling at it to try to knock him off balance.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The young men watched in horror as the older of their two guards started to twitch violently before his legs gave way and he fell to the ground, his rifle clattering noisily. In falling, he hit his head on the stone floor and the twitching came an abrupt end!

The younger guard stared as his comrade collapsed. As he felt Thomas grab him, he spun around, his eyes wide with shock and fear...
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b] - it seems it is up to you to deal with the second guard. Please explain how you will attempt to do this. SAN Loss: [b]Howard[/b] - [dice]0[/dice] [b]Lawrence[/b] - [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Can't two people attack the guard at once?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,The width of the passageway between the cells effectively means that only two people can reach the guard at one time. Based upon this: [quote="HoneyDog"][color=#004000]"It looks like we're on, then"[/color] says [b]Howard[/b], grimly. [color=#004000]"You grab the guard from the right, [b]Thomas[/b]. I'll go left. Try and get his arms."[/color][/quote] [b]Howard[/b] and [b]Thomas[/b] were best placed to try to deal with the guard but [b]Howard[/b] was temporarily effected by what happened to the second guard.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by peper757 »

Thomas tries to hold the guard close to the bars of his cell with one hand, and launches a punch towards the guard's body with his other hand.
Fist/Punch (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Thomas caught the guard a glancing blow, the bars limiting his ability to land a more solid hit.

”Quick, knock him out!” hissed Brophy.
OOC,Thomas - [dice]0[/dice]
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

ooc,Could [b]Lawrence[/b] reach the other cultist's rifle from his cell?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Lawrence,Not presently, but you could suggest it to James/Brophy.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by peper757 »

Thomas tries to hit the guard again, this time aiming for the head.
Fist/Punch (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Brophy!" Lawfence shouts, having recovered from his state of shock.
"Throw me the gun!"
He knew it wasn't a good idea to let Brophy handle that gun, but he had no other choice at the moment.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

There’s was a grunt of pained frustration from James’ cell and the guard with a rifle lurched towards Lawrence’s cell like a poorly controlled marionette with a slack-jawed look upon his face.

The guard that Thomas was trying to subdue was trying to break free. Thomas’ punch had missed its target and the guard was now attempting to push himself away from the bars so he get some leverage and break the young policeman’s grip!
OOC,I’m on holiday this week so posting might be a bit intermittent.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”