Ch.15d Baton Rouge

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Post by Philulhu »

The kids studied Larry and Theodore then pointed further down the road where a man stood polishing a gleaming Oldsmobile, old but still in excellent condition.

The man looked up and squinted in their direction, then gave a tentative smile. Mr William, Mr Lawrence. It’s good to see you.”

”The Louisiana State University?” suggested the receptionist. ”That is probably your most likely place to start.Would you like me to call you a cab?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Yes, please." Alex says.They'd have to think of a good cover story, but hopefully they could gain access to the records there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good to see you too, Oscar," says William, holding out his hand for a shake. "I wish it were under better circumstances. Is there anything I can do to help you get back on your feet? Thank you for sending me the letter with the clipping. I spoke to the Sheriff here on the telephone, and he wanted me to come down here and show him the place where we were held captive and make a statement, but I'm a little suspicious after our run-in with the Sheriff in Terrebonne Parish."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

While Alex organises the taxi, Ivy casts her gaze across the lobby, looking for tourist leaflets, maps and such.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Why did you send that clipping, anyways? If I was you, I'd want nothing to do with me." Lawrence questions, smiling like a jack-o-lantern left out for a few days after halloween; he definitely looked a lot more haggard than the last time Oscar saw him. He moves in closer, lowering his voice. "You know we have dangerous enemies. They aren't afraid of killing."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“He wus a fren’ o’ yours, weren’t he?” Oscar replied. He looked at Lawrence carefully, getting a definite vibe that something wasn’t right with him.

“Ah thought you’d wanna know that he’d turned up.” He glanced at William. “Have ah done something wrong?”

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.50am
Louisiana State University, Highland Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The taxi arrived promptly to take Alex and Ivy to the University, and it was only a short journey south along the Mississippi to the new university campus, with its buildings in Italian Renaissance style.

The taxi driver dropped them off in front of the main building where inside they found a younger man sitting behind an ornate reception desk. Pushing his sandy-coloured hair out of his eyes, he smiled and said, ”Good morning, folks. How can I help you today?”

Ivy can get a map from the hotel that shows the town, places of interest, etc.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good morning to you." Alex smiles." Could you please direct us to your school's library?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, you did the right thing," says William. "He's just been through a lot. He isn't mad at you personally. It's just his way of saying you put yourself at risk by letting us know. I do appreciate that you did it, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While Alex speaks to the chap behind the desk, Ivy takes a few moments to study the map she’s obtained for other possible places to carry out research.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"It's been a hell of a year. With how you helped us, it would be wrong to not give you a warning." Lawrence nervously admits, looking more like he's experienced a hell of a decade. His eyes dart around like billiard balls, following every shadow and movement; how could he ever feel safe again, knowing even a shred the monstrous truth that underpinned the world? His only refuge for the past few months had been his bedroom, its walls decorated with a growing patchwork of newspaper clippings...
"I think we should talk somewhere more private. Have you got your own house?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“House?” Oscar glanced back at the wooden shack with a tin roof that stood nearby. “You’re welcome t’ come inside but it ain’t much to write home about. Ah’ve done the best wi’ what ah got, but no one round here got much anyways.”

He gave the car one last rub with the polishing cloth then lead the way inside. The shack was close-boarded timber, with everything in one room, although the sleeping area had a curtain around it for privacy. A small stove, handmade from scrounged tin cans, stood in one corner, with its tin can chimney snaking up through the roof. Apart from a jacket hanging on the back of the door and a few eating utensils, it didn’t look like Oscar had any other possessions.

“Until I get some gas an’ get ma car goin’ again, this is it. Now what did yous gennelmen wanna talk about?”

The young man frowned slightly and said, ”The libraries are for the university’s students. They’re not public access, I’m afraid.”

The map is one of those paid for by the advertisers so the map is in the centre with adverts around the edges. The adverts cover soaps, cars, local oil companies, Hayward’s Military Sauce, Chesterton’s cigarettes and, of course, Coca Cola. Studying the map, there doesn’t seem to be much of interest in Baton Rouge except for the university and the town hall.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can help with that," says William. "I'll get you some gas so you can start driving again. We wanted to ask you about Sheriff Dupont, what you might know about him and whether he's trustworthy. You'd know more about local politics than we would, and maybe when you were driving your cab, some of your passengers talked about him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Playing the dutiful wife, Ivy remains behind Alex, ready to back up his reply with a baleful stare at the young fellow before them.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I understand why that is. But my wife and I have come a long way, and we're really quite interested in local folklore. Could we perhaps just look around for a few hours? Of course, we'd be willing to compensate you for your time, and we don't mind someone being in the room with us; we know you have to protect your collection." Alex slides a fiver over across the desk, hoping it will appeal to the student on a likely modest income.

1d100

Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Having four walls and a roof is good enough for me." Lawrence comments, looking for room in the shack's relatively cramped space. Eventually, he decides to just lean against a wall. "Did you ever hear any interesting news when right after we left? We made a... Bit of a stir on the way out."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sensing that Alex is floundering somewhat, Ivy glares at the youth.

“We have come a very long way to visit your university young man, only to be turned out like common vagrants!! This is not acceptable! We will speak to someone in authority if you please.”

[43] = 43
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 43 ] = 43
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Oscar laughed, somewhat bitterly. “It’s bin a while since I did much drivin’,” he said. “So I will take you up on yer offer of gas.”

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he considered ‘Theodore’s’ question. “The police ain’t got much time for the likes of us, but from what ah hear, DuPont’s fairer than most of ‘em.”

He turned to ‘Larry’. “I remember you gettin’ on that train but yous were back again but I don’ remember no commotion.”

The young man pointedly ignored Alex’s attempt to bribe his way in but was very taken aback at being addressed so abruptly by Ivy. ”I’ll… I’ll see if someone will talk to you,” he spluttered, backing away from the desk and making his way to a nearby office.

He returned shortly with a tall, stern-looking man with neatly oiled hair and a carefully trimmed moustache. He peered at them over his half-moon glasses and said, ”What’s this about? You’ve been told this isn’t a public library so I’m not sure why you’re still here!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Seeing Ivy had had more success getting anywhere here, Alex is content to let her take the lead for now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, that's good to hear," says William. "I had wondered if it was a trap."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Well that’s the problem isn’t it?” Ivy snaps.

“A lamentable lack of public services in this town! To think that visitors such as ourselves; intelligent, keen-minded and curious citizens; must be forced to intrude upon you in order to further our research is appalling!”

She pauses, softening her tone but maintaining her icy stare.

“We simply wish to indulge in our love of American history and folklore; is that too much to ask?”

“I sympathise with your situation. We are not students here, and yet here we are. If your library cannot accommodate us, perhaps a member of your faculty could oblige? A history professor or a keen student?”

Return to “Servants of the Lake”