Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Post by Silver Priest »

Sounds good. We can get lunch too and expense it as part of the investigation. :D
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Monday, September 1st, 1930 12.55pm
Marconi’s Roman Gardens, Bradford Street, Providence, R.I.

The front door of the restaurant stood ajar and Alex and Ivy let themselves in past the sign that announced ‘IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE 18TH AMENDMENT, NO INTOXICATING LIQUOR ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES’.

Stepping through the lobby and into the main room, they were met by a puzzled look from the man serving behind the bar. That turned to a frown as he glanced at a thick set man emerging from gents’ toilets. The doorman had taken a quick comfort break which had allowed Alex and Ivy the chance to walk in unannounced.

Recovering quickly, the barman’s frown was swiftly replaced by a rather artificial smile. “What can we do for you, Officers?” he said loudly, putting special emphasis on the last word, which caused a sudden hush to descend amongst the dozen or so patrons, who slowly turned to look at the interlopers.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good afternoon," Alex says, sitting down at the bar like it was the most ordinary thing in the world. He places some money down on it and offers up abroad smile ."Could my associate and I get some drinks? I'll have a lemonade, if you please. What would you like?" He asks Ivy, intending to order for her.

When the bartender returns with the drinks Alex gives him a dollar tip and beckons him in close. "We have some questions about one of your patrons, but our concerns do not extend to this establishment in particular or the services it may hypothetically provide, if you catch my meaning." He felt a bit dirty making such a bargain, but this wasn't his fight. "Have any of your customers been in here ranting about a Joshua Winscott, specifically after they have perhaps enjoyed a few libations-- purchased illegally somewhere else, I am sure?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy perches primly on a bar stool with a ginger ale.

“Perhaps someone made a call from your payphone on Saturday 29th, around about 11:30am. Couldn’t have been many patrons around that time.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The barman looked at them suspiciously as he polished a glass. A couple of the patrons finished up their drinks and left.

It’s going to take a social skills roll to get him to talk. Your choice.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Sighing, Alex places another dollar on the table.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[31] = 31
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 31 ] = 31

While Alex greases the wheel, Ivy glowers.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The barman finished polishing the glass and switched to polishing the bar, quickly sweeping up the note that Alex had placed on the surface. He looked at Ivy suspiciously and said, “Who wants to know?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Deciding to be truthful, Ivy clears her throat.

“My name is Ivy Ripley. I am… well, I am an investigator of sorts I suppose. Currently I’m working on this case for the Arkham PD. Therefore I have no interest in the workings of your establishment: perfectly legal though I’m sure they are.”
Last edited by jp1885 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“We’d hate to hear anyone thought otherwise,” he said, without specifying who the ‘we’ were. “And you?” he continued, turning to Alex. “What’s your name?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   With those rolls I was hoping we'd get a free meal at least. One star on Yelp! :lol:  

"Detective Alex Reynolds," Alex says, emphasis on "Detective". The bartender could hear the capital letter. "Arkham Police. My associate and I were sent here to assist the Providence department. Someone made a call from a phone near here alleging that a Mr. Joshua Winscott had something to do with the death of the previous owner of the home he inherited. We're looking into the case and just want to talk to the individual to get there statement and see what if any evidence they believe we should be looking into. The person's not in trouble, nor is your establishment. But please understand Sir; the police take accusations of foul play very seriously and this must be looked into to determine if there's any evidence of such."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The barman looked from Alex to the doorman for a long moment, then back again. “No idea,” he said. I can’t help you.” His eyes flicked from Alex to the doorman again, with a barely perceptible nod in the big man’s direction.

“Now, do you want a drink or are you going to be on your way?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I think we'll be on our way" Alex says, getting to his feet.

He passes the doorman on his way out, stopping as if to ask him a question. "Excuse me Sir, do you know a Joshua Winscott?

1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Don’t know no one by dat name,” said the doorman, as he opened the door to let them out. He steeped out after them, allowing the door to close, then said quietly, ”But I think the guy you’re looking for - the one who made the phone call - is Abe Kasper. He was in here beefing about something the other day, used the phone, and cleared out.”

He looked up and down the street.”You didn’t hear that here, you understand?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy is about to let loose at the barman when thankfully she realises what’s going on.

Primly finishing her drink, she nods curtly in thanks before joining Alex.

“Where might we find this fellow?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Have a good afternoon, Sir." Alex gives the man a brief nod before heading out, subtly attempting to pull Ivy away as well.

"Now we have a name." He tells Ivy. "Shall we head to the town's records and see if we can't dig up an address?" He's in good spirits, having forgotten how much he enjoyed a nice, quiet investigation that was free of any of the horrors he had previously encountered. Alex decides he could do this for the next 30 years, regardless of whatever else happened in the world. There was a familiarity, and a comfort, in routine.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The doorman had just shrugged at Ivy’s question as if he didn’t know the answer. He nodded to Alex, turned and went back into the restaurant, closing the door behind him.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Hmph, I suppose the records office it is then,” Ivy mutters.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Monday, September 1st, 1930 3.15pm
Providence PD, Providence City Hall, R.I.

By the time Alex and Ivy had grabbed a quick lunch and made their way back to the City Hall (home of the Records Office) it was gone 3 ‘o’ clock. Fortunately, it was a quiet afternoon and they didn’t have to wait long before one of the clerks could see them.

”Abe Kasper? No address? Hmm, wait here…” said the clerk and he disappeared into the back office. He was back ten minutes later with a name and address written on a slip of paper. He checked Alex and Ivy’s credentials, then pushed the piece of paper across the desk. Written in the clerk’s neat, copperplate was ‘Abraham Elijah Kasper,132a Ashburton Street, Providence, R.I.’
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Much appreciated, Sir." Alex takes the address and looks towards Ivy. "Shall we swing around now, or stop by the station and see if Mr. Kasper has any sort of record?"

Return to “Servants of the Lake”