Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

Post by jp1885 »

[9] = 9
Spot hidden 60 d%: [ 9 ] = 9

His nerves stretched to breaking point, Sean is constantly on the lookout for threats.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

William can't see anything. He takes that as a good sign.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) returning through the woods:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Yes, thank you." Alex says. While bringing the police in is a risk, he wants to ensure Brophy can't slip away this time. Hopefully it will put pressure on the man to make a deal as well."I believe we have things handled however, so you may wish to wait here until a constable arrives." He ignores the old cultist's taunts.

"Let's get moving."
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"We have our own car in the lot, that little rounded one. Borrow it if you need to, though I don't know if it's locked or not." Lawrence states to the driver; it was Sean's car, yes, but Sean wasn't here and this was a very pressing matter. With that said, Lawrence heads off around the lake to go reunite with the others.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Off to one side of the track through the woods, partially hidden in the shadows, Sean spotted the ghoulish creature that they had seen earlier. It had pushed itself up like a guard dog on its stumps, glaring at them balefully but making no attempt to approach them.

Beside William, Georges gave out a terrified “Eek!” of fear and there was the sudden, sharp tang of ammonia in the air…

- - - - - - - - -

The man nodded while his clearly shocked wife looked on from their car. As Alex and Lawrence pushed Brophy down the path towards the clearing where they had found Baz and Georges, he moved over to check the van. As they moved deeper into the woods, they heard the sound of the van turning over before the noise was deadened as they moved on…

After walking for a minute or so, Brophy said, “Are you sure you want to go back to 1930? You could go to any time you want.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's all right," says William, relieved that he can't see it. "It hasn't attacked us yet. Maybe if we leave it alone, it will leave us alone. Let's just keep moving."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"So can you, evidently." Alex replies. "So, why here? Feeling homesick, perhaps, and wishing to come to a time where no one will recognize you."

If he fully trusted Brophy it may have been a tempting offer. Alex's relationship with his family was strained, especially after he became a detective. He had few close associates. And, he supposed he could do his job in any time period. He imagined staying here would negatively affect him less than his companions, though it would take awhile to get used to. But as a public servant, he had an obligation to return them home.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“C’mon mate, let’s keep going. Hold your nerve,” Sean tells Georges, not unkindly.

“No sudden movements now…”
Last edited by jp1885 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"What would I want in other times, Brophy? This isn't where I'm meant to be, just like a fish isn't meant to be on land. I belong in 1930, and it's as simple as that." Lawrence dismisses Brophy's offer with no hesitation; the future was an amazing curiosity, but everything Lawrence owned and cared about resided in 1930. History would be messy, but the young farmer would just have to weather through it just as everyone else does; it certainly was better than being stuck as a castaway of time.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Georges managed a nod before hesitantly stumbling forwards, his eyes not leaving the ghoul lurking menacingly in the trees. Sean and William continued to support Baz towards the car park. They heard a sharp ‘crack’ in the undergrowth but if anything was following them, they could not see it.

In the distance they saw the familiar figures of Alex and Lawrence. The ambulanceman was with them.

- - - - - - - - -

“You know there’s going to be another war?” said Brophy to Lawrence conversationally, as they walked through the woods. “Make the last one look like a picnic! You’re probably not too old to get called up - you could leave all that behind and start afresh... I think that’s what I’ll do.” He looked around and smiled. “Somewhere peaceful where I can just tend my garden and not have any concerns…”

He nodded down the path. “That’s your friends isn’t it?” he said, and further down the path they could see Sean and William helping Baz, while a clearly frightened Georges kept looking around nervously.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William waves to the others as he hobbles along.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Somehow I'm skeptical that is your plan," Alex notes. Anything else he was going to say was cut off by seeing the others. He returns William's wave. "We found Brophy. He attacked Lawrence and held a child hostage, but I was able to convince him to send us back home in exchange for letting him stay here." He frowns in displeasure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We ran into a couple of strange creatures," says William. "One of them bit me, but we gave it a good licking. They're still out there, but they're leaving us alone for now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sean breathes a sigh of relief when he sees the others. If they’re attacked now, then at least they’d outnumber the creature more.

“Don’t tempt fate, mate. C’mon, let’s all get out of here!”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mr Preston, we meet again,” said Brophy to William. “You and your psychopathic friend here” - he waved dismissively in Lawrence’s direction - “seem incapable of leaving me alone. So as to get you off my back, I have offered to send you back to your own time, or any other time, if you prefer. In exchange, you leave me in peace and don’t seek to find me.”

“Do we have a deal?” Brophy asked. His eyes flickered in the direction of Alex, then Sean, but he obviously didn’t consider them a threat to his plans.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And what happens to these other people after we're gone?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Bullfrog »

"Incapable of leaving you alone? If you hadn't clubbed me over the head, you probably could have gotten away and we wouldn't have known any better!" Lawrence retorts, his tone full of resentment; the fact that Brophy had the audacity to play the victim brought the young farmer no shortage of fury after all he had been through. He hated to have to make a deal with the one man he despised above all else. "The only reason I haven't knocked more of your teeth out is because I'd like to go home, and because I don't want to cause any more harm to the poor bastard you're puppeting around. Care to explain to our detective friend what you did to James Fraser?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

James tried to interfere in my plans!” snapped Brophy tartly. “He could have left everything well alone and stayed in his room, but he insisted in getting involved!” He seemed almost indignant.

“As for these gentlemen, they are free to go. I have no plans to stay here. Like you, I have other places that I would rather be.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Completely bewildered, Sean tries to follow the conversation, but, while he understands the words, cannot make sense of what’s actually been said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How do we know you'll keep your word?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Servants of the Lake”