Page 1 of 1

Ch. 10. Black Train Blues

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
Friday March 7th, 1930 9.35am.
Baton Rouge Train Station, 100 South River Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

As Oscar alighted from the train, there was a huff of steam and the train jerked forward. Inside, the four men shuffled forward, finding themselves following the guard through a well-appointed saloon car and into the sleeping car beyond.

Wordlessly, he indicated two of the two-bunk wood-panelled compartments with a Jack-and-Jill washroom in between. The number ‘1’ displayed prominently on the windows indicated this was first class, though in truth, this was the only sleeping compartment on the train.

Both compartments were set up for daytime use, with the upper bunk folded away and the lower bunk fashioned as a couch, with suitcases stowed beneath. The guard pointed out the menu, which indicated that dinner would be served at 7.00pm, and then trudged out of the compartment and back in the direction of the saloon.

Re: Ch. 10. Black Train Blues

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinner?" says William. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'd like to eat lunch first, but not yet. I had breakfast in the hospital not that long ago. I'll feel a little better once we're out of Louisiana, but let's not let our guard down. I'm not so worried the authorities will try to detain us. Those snake worshipers aren't going to be too happy with us either, and they're not about to let a little thing like a state line stop them."

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 am
by HoneyDog
Howard slumps into a seat, exhausted by events.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:42 am
by Bullfrog
"Honestly, I can hardly believe any of this happened. Whole thing's just insane, I tell you." Lawrence said, slouching into his seat to recollect the past events and plan for the future.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 am
by Philulhu
Having had a disturbed night in hospital, and with recent events and the soporific rocking of the carriage, the four men soon dozed off. It was only when the door of a neighbouring compartment banged shut that they were jolted awake. A moment’s confusion gave way to recollection as they realised where they were.

Outside, the bright spring sunshine shone upon sharecroppers working in the fields alongside the moving train.
OOC,Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard is too tired and drowsy to care about the scenery. He tries to go back to sleep.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 35: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/795780]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]92[/b]

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

William notices something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking out the window: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 am
by Bullfrog
Spoiler:
Spot hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]
Whatever it may have been, Lawrence certainly didn't notice it.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:12 am
by Philulhu
William,As William awoke, there was a flicker in the corner of his eye; something had moved near the door, although there was nothing there now.
The train continued to roll through the countryside, with just the occasional ranch house breaking up the views of open fields bathed in the spring sunshine. Further up the sleeping carriage, another door could be heard, although quieter this time. A glance at a watch showed it to be approaching 11.45am.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did anyone else see that?" whispers William. "There was movement near the door, but it's gone now. I think that might be what woke me up."

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:07 am
by Philulhu
Thomas shook his head. He hadn’t seen anything.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
Howard grunts and shakes his head.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:44 am
by Bullfrog
"Haven't seen a thing." Lawrence states, awakening from his well-deserved rest.
"Do you reckon it could have been a person?"

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 am
by Philulhu
William,Whatever it was, it wasn’t a person. Besides, they would have heard the door closing if someone had been in their compartments.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No," says William. "I didn't hear the door closing, either, and I would have if it had. I hope it wasn't a snake."

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:16 pm
by Philulhu
William,Whatever William thought he saw was ethereal, rather than corporeal. It was about the height of the door handle, rather than floor level where he might have expected a snake to be.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, not a snake," says William, shaking his head. "It wasn't a physical being. It was about as high as the door handle. I guess whatever it was could have gone through the door while it was closed."

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:04 am
by Bullfrog
"You don't think it coulda been some kind of ghost or something, do you?" Lawrence concernedly questioned, standing up from his seat to go have a look at the door. "Well, either that or you're just seeing things."

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:02 am
by HoneyDog
Howard opens his eyes.

"What did it look like?" he asks.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:27 am
by Philulhu
William,There isn’t really anything William can add to the description already given.
The door itself was nothing out of the ordinary, just a standard wood-panelled carriage door except for a small brass plaque with a leering gargoyle’s face.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's all I saw," says William. "Maybe it was a ghost. I don't know, I've never seen one before."

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:24 am
by HoneyDog
Howard closes his eyes again.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:30 am
by Bullfrog
Finding little of importance, Lawrence returns to his seat, keeping a thorough watch on the area around the door.
"Well, then I'd suppose we'd best keep our eyes peeled."

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 am
by Philulhu
Half an hour passed but there was no sign of anything moving by the door. Outside, the sun shone on the fields and the carriage started to heat up.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

William remains alert for any other unusual occurrences.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Another half-hour passed without incident until there was a sudden grumbling noise. Thomas put his hand to his stomach and looked embarrassed. ”Is there any chance we could go and find something to eat? The breakfast served at the hospital won’t keep me going all day.” he said.
OOC,I’ve added a couple of links to show the parts of the train you have seen so far. The investigators are in the double cabins in the middle of the train. The conductor’s seat is to the rear of the train, the salon (through which you entered) is the opposite way.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I could do with a bite to eat," says William. "I'm not too fond of hospital food either."

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:07 am
by HoneyDog
Howard yawns, but feels a little refreshed.

"Let's go then."

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
by Philulhu
Friday March 7th, 1930 12.45pm.
Baton Rouge to Boston Train

Heading out into the corridor, the four men could see the conductor sat away to their right, gazing at them disinterestedly. Turning left, they made their way through the carriage and the enclosed connector where the noise from rails can be heard, and into the salon car beyond.

The salon car was modern and well appointed, with plenty of seats and a bar. A few people were already there, at the far end a young man was dozing on a settee and a woman was sat talking to two young children. On their right as they came into the carriage, an older man sat reading a book. He looked up as they entered, then glanced at the clock on the wall. “If you’re wanting lunch, I suggest you get a move on,” he said. “The dining car will close at 1.00pm.”

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sir," says William. He heads for the dining car.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
William and Thomas crossed between the carriages into the dining car and made their way past what appeared to be storage cupboards and into the carriage proper.

The dining car was obviously of the same design as the rest of the train, well-appointed with plush seats. Ten tables - five to a side with four seats surrounding them - completed the first part of the dining car. There was a partition with a door partway down the carriage, designed to separate the smoking and non-smoking sections.

The carriage was empty except for two waiting staff, who looked on blankly. Both were tall, with slightly unkempt appearance. Their clothes were in good condition but both waiters looked gaunt with overly long, greasy hair.

As William stepped into the carriage, he felt a jolt as if the train had run over some points, although when he looked outside, it appeared as if the train was continuing on its unwavering route through the countryside. The nearest waiter spoke, slowly and haltingly, ”Can we help you, sirs? The dining room is about to close.”
OOC,I’ve added a link to the dining car to the maps page. You enter from the right hand end as you look at the image. Howard/Lawrence - What are you doing?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I'd like to get some lunch before it does," says William.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard already indicated he was going with them for lunch. I think everyone intends to go.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:03 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,Sorry for the lack of a post, I've been busy these past few days. [b]Lawrence[/b] shall be joining the group for lunch.
"Say, what would you happen to be serving?" inquires Lawrence.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:08 am
by Philulhu
OOC,No problem. I’d only had an update for William so didn’t want to presume anything.
The waiter who had spoken slowly turned his head to look at the clock on the wall and then to his fellow waiter further down the carriage. After a moment, he turned back and said, ”Dining commenced at 12.00. There is insufficient time for you to eat now. The next sitting is due in nine minutes.”

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
"You're going to reopen?" asks Howard, confused.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm
by Philulhu
“We re-open to first class passengers at seven ‘o’ clock,” replied the waiter.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Could we please get some food to take back to our compartments?" asks William.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:19 pm
by Philulhu
The two waiters exchanged looks again, and the one furthest away said, ”If you return to the salon, then we will arrange for food to be brought to you.”

At that, the nearest waiter moved forward with arm outstretched, ushering the young men from the dining car.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William. He returns to the salon.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am
by HoneyDog
"Why is nearly everyone we meet so strange?" Howard mutters angrily to himself.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:17 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence casts a suspicious glance over to the waiters before returning to the salon, still a bit on edge after the events of Louisiana.
"I'd reckon that was a little odd." Lawrence says rather apprehensively.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 am
by Philulhu
“Too late, were you?” commented the older man, as the they re-entered the salon car. “They’re sticklers for time!” With an unlit pipe, he reached up and tapped a dinner menu that was in a menu holder on the wall above his head.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, they probably think we're strange," says William. He examines the dinner menu.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm
by Philulhu
The dinner menu was neatly typed on yellowed paper. It showed tonight’s menu as Roast Duck, Broiled Potatoes, Carrots and Peas, with an unspecified sweet to follow.

It listed first class passengers eating from 7.00pm until 8.00pm, with passengers in 2nd class eating at 6.00pm and 8.00pm, depending upon the number of their carriage.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Dinner looks good," says William. "Let's not be late for that."

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:14 am
by Philulhu
Friday March 7th, 1930 14.05pm.

An hour had passed and the promised food had failed to materialise. To make matters worse, the steward in the salon car had disappeared, so no drinks had been served either.

Everything else was as it was previously. The young man dozed on the settee, the woman was sat talking to her children, and the older man they had spoken to was sat studying his book, his unlit pipe twitching slightly as he read to himself.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think the food's coming," says William. "Let's go back to the compartment."

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 am
by Bullfrog
"That's just great." Lawrence annoyedly remarked, looking about the room. "And it looks like the steward up and left."

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 am
by HoneyDog
Howard is less certain.

"There's something wrong here" he tells the others quietly. "Have those people been sitting here like this all this time?"

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:44 am
by Philulhu
Looking down the carriage, it appeared that their fellow passengers were still engaged in sleeping, talking and reading, as they had been when the men had walked through the carriage more than an hour before.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The steward has to be somewhere," says William. "We're on a train, and I don't think there were any stops, so he couldn't have gotten off."

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:18 am
by Bullfrog
"We may as well try and find him, or maybe another steward." Lawrence suggests, standing up and briefly looking around the room.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:33 am
by Philulhu
There was no sign of the steward anywhere in the salon car.
OOC,Which way would you like to explore? Towards the sleeping car or the dining car?

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we should go toward the sleeping car.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
"Let's check the sleeping car" says Howard.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:46 pm
by Philulhu
With William in the lead, the four men made their way from the salon car, through the carriage connector and into the sleeping car. Passing the WC, they could see down the corridor, past the closed sleeping compartment doors, to the conductor’s fold-down seat at the end.

As they watched, it slowly creaked shut, as if vacated only moments before.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did the rest of you see that this time?" asks William. "Something weird is going on."

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:39 am
by HoneyDog
"I knew that already" says Howard nervously. "We should get off this train."

He looks out the window, hoping to see an urban area.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:30 am
by Bullfrog
"This is getting pretty odd." Lawrence suspiciously notes, walking over to examine the chair for nothing in particular.
"I don't know what's happening, but I don't think we're out of this mess yet."

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm
by Philulhu
Out of the window, sun-dappled wheat fields stretched as far as the horizon, a light breezing stirring the tips. Here and there, buildings broke up the fields, but none were really close enough to see properly.

Other than the sound of the rails, the carriage was quiet. Lawrence walked down to the conductor’s seat. Opposite it was a closed door with a “W.C.” sign, with another door leading further beyond.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

William knocks lightly on the door to the W.C. "Anyone in there?" he asks.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence gently cracks open the other door and peeks inside.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 am
by Philulhu
There was no answer to William’s knock.

Beyond the last door, Lawrence could see into the guard’s compartment at the rear of the train. Beside the door was another fold-down seat. Through the windows, he could see fields in every direction and the rails in a straight line as far as he could see.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Hearing no response, William opens the door.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 am
by Philulhu
The door opened into a small cloakroom, with a sink, toilet and a locked cabinet with mirrored front.
William,Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 am
by Bullfrog
With his quick look producing nothing of interest, Lawrence decides to take his search further and actually enter the guard compartment to get a better look inside.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

William takes a thorough look around.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) searching the cloakroom: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
Howard follows Lawrence.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:05 am
by Philulhu
As Thomas kept a look-out in the passage, Howard and Lawrence stepped into the guard compartment at the rear of the train. Sunshine streamed through the windows, making the room warm and stuffy. From below, the click-clack of of the wheels on the rails set up a even, steady cadence.

In the W.C., William caught a fleeting glimpse of the mirror as he turned to inspect the room. Looking back at him was the grizzled face of an older man, deeply tanned with bushy white eyebrows and a muttonchop moustache. A puzzled look crossed the face of the older man, then William blinked and he was gone.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did anyone else see that?" asks Wiliam. "There was an old man visible briefly in the mirror, but he disappeared, and there was nobody behind me. Is this train haunted?"

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:18 pm
by Philulhu
”Did you say something?” asked Thomas from the hallway. William looked around and realised he was the only one in there.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says William, explaining what he saw. "You didn't see anyone behind me?"

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 pm
by Philulhu
Thomas looked down the corridor then back to William. ”I didn’t see anyone,” he replied. “And I’m pretty much stood in the doorway, so I’d know if someone pushed by.”

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 am
by HoneyDog
"Where is everyone?" Howard wonders aloud.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:54 am
by Bullfrog
"I didn't see a thing, since I was over in the guard compartment." Lawrence says as he returns to the hallway. "I hate to sound like a lunatic, William, but I think you're right; something real odd is afoot on this train."

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I already sound like a lunatic," says William, "so at least I'm in good company. Did you see anything in the guard compartment?"

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:58 am
by Bullfrog
"A whole lot of nothing. It was practically empty, save for a little folding seat." Lawrence responds.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:37 pm
by Philulhu
”So where does that leave us?” asked Thomas. “What do we do now?”

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure what we can do," says William. "Maybe we should just go back to the compartment."

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:01 am
by Bullfrog
"Seems to be the only option, unless one of you want to volunteer first to go search this entire train from front to back." Lawrence decides.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 am
by HoneyDog
"Let's just wait in the compartment" says Howard. "I'm getting off at the first station we come to. I suggest you join me."

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:03 am
by Philulhu
Another hour or so passed, with no sign of the conductor or any fellow passengers, even though Thomas had left the compartment doors open, so no one could have passed unnoticed. Outside, the bright spring sunshine shone upon sharecroppers working in the fields alongside the moving train.

As the clock approached 3.00pm, the train whistle sounded and the train began to slow. A minute or so later, it came to a halt next to a sun-bleached provincial station. There was no one on the platform and nothing around, save for fields and one road, leading away to the horizon.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:41 am
by HoneyDog
"Maybe we won't be getting off, after all" says Howard in dismay. "This is a station?"

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't call it that,' says William. "Let's not get off here. Who knows when the next train will come by?"

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard sinks back in his seat.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:05 pm
by Philulhu
There was a whistle from an unseen source on the platform, a ‘huff’ of steam and the carriage shunted forward, which caused everyone to shuffle forwards on their seats. The train slowly gathered pace as it left the station behind and was soon travelling steadily though the fields again.

There was a low, grumbling noise from Thomas’ direction. He looked embarrassed and said, ”Can we try the salon car again? I’m starving!”

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 am
by Bullfrog
"May as well, seeing as we won't be seeing another station for a while." Lawrence sighs, none too keen on the oddities of the present situation.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's worth a try," says William. "We've got nothing better to do anyway."

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:50 am
by Philulhu
Friday March 7th, 1930 15.10pm.

The four men made their way back to the salon car, where everything was as they had left it. The young man dozed on the settee, the woman was sat talking to her children, and the older man they had spoken to was sat studying his book, his unlit pipe twitching slightly as he read to himself.

The Steward stood behind the bar like a mannequin, tall and dark haired, with unwashed flecks curling out from underneath his cap. He slowly turned to look at them as they approached, tracking them until they stood in front him. ”Can I help you?” he said haltingly.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says William. "We never got any lunch, and we were hoping we could get something to eat now that it's not so busy."

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:42 am
by Philulhu
”The dining car will open at 7.00pm for first class passengers,” the Steward replied robotically, with a slightly puzzled look upon his face as if he didn’t quite understand the question.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can't we get a small snack now to tide us over?" asks William. "We'd be willing to pay extra."

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 am
by Bullfrog
"What harm could it do? It can't be that much of a hassle to get us something." Lawrence advocated to the steward.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:18 pm
by Philulhu
The Steward looked at them for a moment then, without breaking eye contact, reached below the counter and pulled out four packets of salted nuts. ”No charge,” he croaked.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Wiliam, distributing the nuts. "Could we please trouble you for some water as well?"

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:11 pm
by Philulhu
Wordlessly, the Steward produced four glasses from behind the bar, along with ice cubes and water, so that they could help themselves.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says Wiliam. He pours the water and gives out the glasses to his friends before helping himself.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:17 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence has a sip of water and eats a few nuts, looking about the room; it seemed that the occupants were still doing the same thing as they had several hours ago, which Lawrence was beginning to find a little odd.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm
by Philulhu
”That guy’s been asleep since we got on the train,” said Thomas quietly, indicating the young man sleeping next to the bar. As he spoke, the man’s eyes flicked open and he stared at them in horror! He fell from the bench seat and scrambled in the direction of the sleeping car, his hand over his mouth as if trying not to be sick...

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why did he react like that?" asks William. "It can't be my burns, the bandages cover them."

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 am
by HoneyDog
Howard decides to find a washroom. He wants to look in a mirror.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:27 am
by Philulhu
Howard pushed open the door from the salon to the vestibule. To his right, the door to the WC was ajar and retching sounds could be heard. As he looked on, the young man lifted his head from the toilet bowl and wiped his mouth. He glanced up and saw Howard watching him. Wide-eyed, he stammered, ”W-Where have you come from?!”

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 am
by Bullfrog
"I don't know, William; he could have just been sick, but this whole thing's been real strange." Lawrence suspiciously notes, finishing off his nuts.
"I think we ought to check on him."

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:41 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard ignores the question and goes to look in the mirror.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods and goes to check on the man.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence follows William, eyeing the other passengers as he leaves.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:30 pm
by Philulhu
The Steward watched them blankly as they left but none of the other passengers appeared to have noticed the disturbance.

As the young man scrabbled to push himself as far away as possible from Howard, his hands held up as if to ward off a blow, the young student studied his reflection in the mirror...
Howard,Can I have a Spot Hidden check, please?

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
Howard peers closely into the miror.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 35: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/803392]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]10[/b]

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder if he saw what I did," says William, hurrying to catch up to the others.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 am
by Bullfrog
"I suppose we'll have to see." Lawrence replies as they near the washroom.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:59 am
by Philulhu
The vision that greeted Howard was of a man, probably no more than a decade older than himself, but whose eyes spoke of a life lived hard, with deep wrinkles and brown hair already showing grey. Behind him wasn’t the washroom wall, but an open boxcar, with more people in ragged and wretched clothes, lying around a makeshift brazier.

The man in the mirror looked startled and reached out a hand. Unthinkingly, Howard did the same but when his fingers met the cold glass of the mirror, the apparition instantly disappeared and he found himself looking at his own reflection, with the washroom wall behind him once again... ...

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:41 am
by HoneyDog
Howard staggers back, confused.

He turns to the man on the floor.

"What do you see when you look at me?" he asks.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"You look the same to me," says Wiiliam. "What did you see in the mirror?"

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:59 am
by Bullfrog
"Let me have a look in the mirror." Lawrence says, nothing short of puzzled.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:10 am
by Philulhu
”W-What?! What you look like?!” He blinked a few times and said, ”Y-You look like a student. Dark hair and glasses! What do you think you look like?!”

Lawrence pushed his way into the increasingly crowded room and looked in the mirror.
OOC,Lawrence - spot hidden please.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:13 am
by Bullfrog
Spot hidden 27%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:48 am
by Philulhu
Lawrence sees nothing out of the ordinary in the mirror, just his own reflection and the wall behind.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:20 am
by Bullfrog
"I'm not sure what Howard saw, but I sure didn't see it." Lawrence remarks before turning to face the frightened young man. "What did you see back there that scared you so much?"

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:20 am
by Philulhu
”I’ve been on this train for what seems like weeks!” the man replied, grabbing at Lawrence’s hand and holding on with a vice-like grip. ”The same thing happens every day. I just get fried and sleep - it’s the only way I can get through it. You’re the first new people I’ve seen in a while! They come and they go and I never see them again!”

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is our first day on the train," says William, "but I've seen enough strange things to believe you. Have you ever tried to get off of the train? What happened when you did?"

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am
by Philulhu
”We pull up at a station every so often and some new people get on. I tried getting off, once. It was a run-down station - holes in the roof and everything. It was in a city, but nothing like I’ve ever seen before! Huge buildings! Bigger even than that new Chrysler building in the Big Apple!”

“Strange thing was, there was no-one around... I walked for what seemed like hours and didn’t see a soul. There were stores but they were boarded up and all the benches and parks had some sorta ribbon on them, telling people to keep out - to go home and stay safe! Eventually, I saw some people - at least I think they were people. They were wearing these weird yellow suits and had like... like a gas mask for a face? My daddy brought one back from France, so I knows what one looks like....”

“They saw me and shouted for me to stop but I was scared so I ran. I ran and ran and ran till I got back to the station. It was empty when I got back and I was sure those people were going to get me, but then I heard the train coming so I jumped on as quick as I could. We couldn’t get outta there quick enough!”

The young man paused and rubbed at his face. ”I don’t know what’s going on - I just want to get home and get off this goddamned train!”

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe the train somehow stops in other times," says William. "We're going to have to find out what's happening in order to get back home, and chances are the engineer will know, or at least have some idea. I think we're going to have to gain access to the locomotive."

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence paused for quite a while, still processing the young man's wild story. "I knew something was wrong with those stewards!" he finally spoke, with a surge of anger, "I don't know what's going on here, but I'm sure as hell not gonna let it keep happening."

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 am
by Philulhu
The young man grabbed ahold of Howard again. ”If you’re getting off, you got to take me with you! Don’t leave me with the Stewards!” he cried, almost sobbing in fear.

He sniffled for a while, before he composed himself, pulled himself to his feet and went to the sink to splash water on his face. His eyes were red and he was still jittery but he looked more together. ”The engine is further forward from the dining car. They keep that locked when it’s not in use. I’ve not been past there.”

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard pulls the man to his feet.

"Come with us" he tells him firmly. "Don't take this lying down. Let's get control of this train!"

Howard feels a fight coming on.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 pm
by Philulhu
”What are you planning to do?” asked the young man.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should try talking to the engineer first," says William. "That's the best way to find out what's going on here. We don't for sure that he's hostile, and he may be just as trapped as we are, but we have to be ready in case he turns on us."

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:56 am
by Bullfrog
"If the engineer doesn't comply with us, then I'll knock out his teeth. I know that those stewards aren't going to be real friendly; they had an odd look about 'em." Lawrence announces, still quite irate.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:19 am
by Philulhu
From outside in the corridor, there was the noise of a door closing.

In the doorway, Thomas said quietly, ”We’ve got company! The guard is back!”

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's duck back into the compartment until he passes," whispers William.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 am
by Philulhu
With some awkward shuffling and no regard for personal comfort, the five men managed to cram inside the compartment and squeeze the door shut. Above the noise of the train, they could just about hear the slow footsteps of the approaching guard. It seemed as if he paused outside their door and long moments passed before he moved on again.

After a couple of minutes of anxious waiting, Thomas said quietly, ”How are we going to get past them and to the engineer?”

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If we can find uniforms like they're wearing," says William, "maybe we can just put them on and walk past them. They don't seem like they pay much attention. There have to be spare uniforms on board somewhere. Maybe in that locked cabinet in the toilet."

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:39 am
by Bullfrog
"We could try and brute-force our way through, but that'd cause an awful ruckus." utters Lawrence, none too comfortable with being crammed into such a packed space."If we don't find any uniforms, we could knock out a guard and steal one."

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
"Let's go have a look at this cabinet" says Howard.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

William nods and goes with him.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Can I have a party luck roll?

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Party Luck roll (55% stat) going to the toilet: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:28 pm
by Philulhu
With Thomas keeping watch, Howard, Lawrence and William made their way to the WC. Squeezed inside, they could see the cabinet was locked, with some sort of deadbolt that required a key. Of such a key, there was none to be seen.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can anyone pick the lock?" asks William. "If not, maybe we can force it."
OOC,Can Mechanical Repair be used to pick this lock. or is Locksmith needed?

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:30 am
by Bullfrog
"Forcing it's gonna be too loud; I think we could maybe find some way to take the door off the hinges." Lawrence suggests.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 am
by Philulhu
OOC,It isn’t a lock per se, so you don’t need a locksmith to open it. If you have something that use to fashion a ‘key’ then I’ll allow for a successful Mech Repair roll to open the cupboard (this is the sort of key required - [url=https://www.handles4u.co.uk/products/Door+Locks/Door+Bolts/Silver+Door+Bolts/Fulton+and+Bray+Star+Shape+65mm+Rack+Bolt+Key/971553132?gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA01YpAT0YDQa3FsVF6-AnjXRnV8uVkz_nLFEn01_w74c013Zo-YQ4RoC4QQQAvD_BwE]deadbolt key[/url]). Your other option (other than brute force) would be to try to remove the hinge pins, but you will need tools for that, so it depends what you have with you.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's better than using force," says William. "Or maybe a key can be fashioned to remove the deadbolt."
OOC,[b]Howard[/b] is the one who's good at Mechanical Repair.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 am
by Bullfrog
"We could make ourselves a key, but from what?" questions Lawrence.
OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] has mechanical repair at 50%,if that's worth anything.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,At a guess,you reckon anything that will go into the hole for the deadbolt key and engage with the teeth could potentially open the lock. You just need to find something that might work and see what you can fashion from it (I’ll allow a Mech. Repair roll for that).

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:54 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence looks about the WC for anything that could be fashioned into a key, such as a wire or any other sort of thin metal object.
OOC,would this call for a Spot Hidden?

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:27 am
by Philulhu
OOC,It’s probably less a spot hidden roll and more a case of thinking what you might use to fashion a makeshift key i.e what are you going to use for the barrel of the key and how do you make the barrel engage with the teeth on the deadbolt so you can make it turn? If you were looking for such a thing, where would you find it?

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:51 am
by Bullfrog
Spoiler:
OOC, I'm shot for ideas, so it seems I'll just settle for removing the hingepins or just forcing it open. What sort of hinges does the cabinet have?

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think the Mechanical Repair roll is to find something to substitute for the key.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Ok, if you give me a Mech. Repair roll and we’ll come up with something :)

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard
Mechanical Repair,Mechanical Repair 20: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/807132]Mechanical Repair[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]10[/b]

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:17 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Studying the deadbolt, it looks as if a piece of metal used as a shaft with something to engage with the teeth should be sufficient onto open it. Options would be to hammer the shaft in so it’s wedged there, or use something like a piece of cloth to snag the teeth as the shaft is turned.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:01 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,My mistake, I must have misread your message then. I'll make my Mech. Repair roll, now
Lawrence
Mech. Repair 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:15 am
by Philulhu
OOC,No problem :)
From behind a lift-off panel in the wall, the cistern provided a straight wire, which Lawrence wrapped in a torn-off piece of hand towel. Trying the improvised tool in the deadlock, it took a few turns before the towelling fibres snagged on the teeth and the door popped open. Inside, a blue uniform hung on a coat hanger, similar to the one worn by the stewards on the train...

Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Which one of us should wear it?" asks William, examining it to see who it would best fit.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 am
by Bullfrog
"Someone who's good with words, preferably; that way, they could talk their way out of any trouble that arises." Lawrence suggests, pocketing his improvised lockpick in case he needed it later.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:10 am
by Philulhu
OOC,I’d suggest one of the currently active players - so Lawrence or William :) Honeydog is busy with work so probably not to use Howard right now.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:37 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] has all the charm of a sledgehammer, so [b]William[/b] may be a better fit. Then again, the stewards don't seem to be very charismatic sorts either.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 am
by Philulhu
OOC,They’ve not going to winning any awards for customer service any time soon! :) The more important question is who the clothes might fit. All of the staff you have seen so far are quite tall and no more than medium build.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can make a good oral argument," says William, "but I'm a little short for a steward."

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 am
by Bullfrog
"I've got quite the opposite problem; I'm a little tall for a steward, and the uniform may not even fit." Lawrence responds.
OOC,Since he as a Size of 17, [b]Lawrence[/b] may indeed be a tad large.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:35 am
by Philulhu
Both William and Lawrence tried on the uniform. Lawrence was proved right, he was too big and couldn’t fasten the jacket across his chest. It was big on William but at least he could get it on.

As he fastened the last button on the jacket, Thomas gasped. William appeared to flicker like a misaligned film at the picture house, and in his place stood one of the stewards!

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"What?" asks William. Then he looks in the mirror. "Oh. That's unexpected, but not unappreciated. Should I try to gain access to the engine alone, or should I try escorting you there and see if I can get away with it?"

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:05 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence was quite taken aback by the suit's bizarre effects, though it at least seemed to at least be to the group's benefit.
"The latter is worth a try, though it's got a lot more risk than just going alone." deliberates Lawrence, hand upon his chin.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, going alone would have a lot more risk for me," says William. "I'll try escorting you and see how far we can get."

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 am
by Bullfrog
"If things go bad, we'll just have to start knocking teeth out. I'm going home, and that bunch of greasy devils isn't going to stop me." Lawrence aggressively states. "While you're at it, I'm gonna need something to tell you apart from the other stewards if things get confusing."

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:55 am
by Philulhu
All of the stewards were of a similar appearance - quite tall, thin, with sallow-looking skin and slightly long, greasy hair, though Lawrence thought that William looked a bit shorter than the others. Whatever was causing the change in his appearance had some limitations and he could only hope it wasn’tenough to draw attention to themselves.

”We’ll go and wait in the salon,” said Thomas. ”If you need help, holler loudly and pray we can hear you!” He lead Howard and the young salesman out of the carriage, leaving Lawrence and William to decide what to do next.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 am
by HoneyDog
"No!" says Howard. "Let's all go together. If they want a fight, let's give them one."

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Welcome back, Honeydog. I wasn’t trying to sideline you (honest! :)) but I know you’ve been busy with work so wasn’t sure how much you’d be able to join in.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry for being inactive. It's safe to assume that Howard will go towards wherever the trouble is.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"If they won't let the rest of you forward with me, I'd like to try going alone first," says William. "In this uniform, I should have access to the whole train. If I don't come back after a while, or if you hear something go wrong, then you can come after me. But hopefully they'll let you past if you're with me."

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 am
by Bullfrog
"While you're out searching the train, I say that me and the rest of us speak with some of the other passengers." Lawrence suggests, "I think that we can enlist some help."

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 am
by Philulhu
Friday March 7th, 1930 16.20pm.

They made their way back to the salon car, where everything appeared as it had before. The young man dozed on the settee, the woman was sat talking to her children, and the older man they had spoken to was sat studying his book, his unlit pipe twitching slightly as he read to himself.

The Steward behind the bar watched them pass. He focused on William with a puzzled gaze but said nothing until they approached the door that lead through to the dining car. ”The dining car will open at 7.00pm for first class passengers,” he said, sonorously.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Remain here," says William to his friends, hoping to avoid arousing suspicion. Then he proceeds to the dining car by himself.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] made his way forward through the corridor linking the two carriages and to the door of the dining carriage. The blind was pulled down and the door had one of the star-shaped locks, similar to the cupboard in the WC.
Howard & Lawrence,The three men watched [b]William[/b] as he moved through the salon door and along the passage on the other side. Around them, the passengers repeated the actions they had seem them do before, like a record repeated itself if scratched.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

William returns and subtly motions for the others to follow him until they are out of earshot of the steward. "I need that makeshift key you used to open the cabinet," he whispers once they're alone. "The door to the next car is locked the same way, and I need the key to open it."

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:25 pm
by Bullfrog
"I've still got it." Lawrence whispers back in reply, surreptitiously slipping the makeshift key to William.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," William whispers back. Once he has the key, he turns around and heads back for the dining car, peeking through the blinds before he even thinks about unlocking the door.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 pm
by Philulhu
William,The glass was patterned with the train company’s logo and most of it was frosted, except for a border not more that 3/4 of an inch wide. Leaning closer, he could see through that narrow gap and into the carriage beyond. The dining car was mostly full. Sat at the tables were people in dress reminiscent of the last century - wing collars and crinoline appeared to be the order of the day, with the odd khaki-coloured suit for good measure.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

William unlocks the door. Then, keeping the key out of sight, he proceeds into the dining car.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:39 am
by Bullfrog
With key handed off, Lawrence has a seat in the Salon car, perplexedly watching the other inhabitants; that young man had known about the train's odd state, but these other people seemed unaware or uncaring, assuming they were people at all.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] felt the same weird feeling that he had the last time he had entered the buffet car. The train seemed to sway and he was forced to grab onto the back of one of the seats to prevent himself from falling. He almost nudged one of the Stewards who were serving the passengers and the man turned and gave him a puzzled look. He felt like something was crawling across his skull, like a spider trying to find a way in. Glancing up and out of the window, [b]William[/b] tried not to show signs of shock as the view wasn’t the green of the Louisiana countryside but the sun+bleached yellow of what looked to be African savannah instead! Tall shapes moved in the distance - [i]could they be giraffes?![/i] The passenger sat in the seat that he held onto turned to look at him and William found himself looking into the face of the older man whose reflection he had seen in the bathroom mirror earlier that day... [i]OOC: SAN check, please. [/i]
Howard & Lawrence,As they watched, it appeared that the passengers in the salon repeated the same action over and over again. The older man at the far end of the carriage would read his book, tamp his pipe, light it and check the meal times on the menu stuck to the wall above his head. Closer to them, the woman would read to her daughter while her son wandered over to the harpsichord. He would play a few discordant notes - notes that caused onlookers to wince as if a nerve had been struck, before his mother called him away. Moments later, he was playing with the keyboard again and the discordant noise and the discomfort would start again, all under the baleful eye of the Steward behind the bar...

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

William manages to maintain his composure and meets the old man's gaze. "Can I help you, sir?" he asks.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 59) in the dining car: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am
by Bullfrog
"This is insane," Lawrence mutters to himself, "Look at them, Howard; they're repeating themselves over and over like a scratched record. Maybe they're in sort of stupor, and we could raise a bit of a ruckus to wake them up; then again, that might not work at all."

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
"Yes, it's like they're stuck, somehow" says Howard. "But why are they like that, but we're free to act as we see fit? They're like a background in a painting."

Howard interprets the surroundings through how he sees the world.

"It's like they're there to support the flow of the main narrative. They're superfluous to the reality which is being created. The only actors which matter are the stewards. They shape events here. But I just don't understand - why are we not like these others?"

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:09 am
by Bullfrog
"I think I may have understood that. If your idea is right, and the stewards are the ones in control, then all these people would disappear if that steward over there wasn't able to make them exist." Lawrence speculates."Then, I suppose, these people won't be helping us any time soon."

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 am
by Philulhu
William,The man blinked as [b]William[/b] loomed over him. [color=#0040BF]”Err, no. No,”[/color] he replied, in a clipped British Colonial accent. [color=#0040BF]“This fellow,”[/color] he pointed to the other nearby Steward, [color=#0040BF]“Is sorting out my wine.”[/color] The other Steward stood back and watched dispassionately as [b]William[/b] pushed himself upright and straightened his clothes. Further down the carriage, a second Steward watched on. [i]OOC: The feeling of dislocation causes William to lose one sanity point.[/i]
Howard and Lawrence,[b]Thomas[/b] glanced at the clock. [color=#400080]”The later it gets, the more they repeat,”[/color] he mused. He looked at [b]Lawrence[/b]. [color=#400080]”Do you think starting a ruckus will help?”[/color] he murmured. The Steward behind the bar watched them balefully.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very good, sir," says William. He continues down the car toward the door at the end.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 am
by Bullfrog
"Maybe. If a record is stuck repeating itself, sometimes you just have to bump the phonograph. That's just part of the metaphor, so I don't actually know if it will work."
Answers Lawrence, who got up and wandered over to the harpsichord.
"But it never hurts to try."
He then proceeded to make a godawful racket, pounding his fingers down on the keys to cause as much noise as possible.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:56 am
by Philulhu
William,Trying to ignore the anachronistic dress of the passengers and the views of the African savannah outside, William made his way along the dining carriage, past the non-smoking then the smoking section, through the door at the end and into the kitchen area beyond. It was quiet after the chatter of the dining carriage, and it struck William that something felt wrong. [i]OOC: Can I have a Spot Hidden or Listen roll, whichever is your higher skill?[/i]
Howard and Lawrence,Lawrence’s discordant hammering on the keys caused everyone to start and look around. The little boy ran over and watched with open-mouthed awe, while his mother tutted loudly. [color=#000080]“Must you make such an infernal row?!”[/color] asked the older man sat by the door, vexedly. [color=#000080]“I’m trying to read here!”[/color]

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

William can't put his finger on what's wrong. He doesn't hear anything.
OOC,Listen roll (68% skill) in the kitchen: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:21 am
by Bullfrog
"I'm sorry, but I have to get my practice in!" Lawrence calls back over the din of his horrendous "symphony", with not a clue if his idea was working or not.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 pm
by Philulhu
William,To the left, [b]William[/b] could see a wooden door marked ‘Pantry’. To the right, a passage continued towards the front of the train.
Howard and Lawrence,Whatever else he had achieved, Lawrence now had the attention of everyone in the carriage. The Steward looked across balefully from behind the bar, but made no move to stop him. The young boy’s mother stood up and whisked her son away, while the older man stood and approached the piano. [color=#000080]“I really must protest!”[/color] he snapped. [color=#000080]“I’m sure that isn’t necessary!”[/color]

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
"Maybe you can stop now, Lawrence" says Howard, wincing. "You've succeeded in your experiment."

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy

William cracks open the door and peeks inside.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:22 am
by Bullfrog
"Now that I have your attention, Lawrence states, finally ceasing his racket, "Who here can recall how long they've been on this train?"

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] could see that the pantry was empty. The walls were lined with wooden cupboards, all of which were closed. The wood appeared to be of good quality, although not especially sturdy.
Howard and Lawrence,The young mother looked up from her children and said, [color=#FF4080]“I’ve been on the train since yesterday. I’m travelling to New York so we can celebrate my husband’s birthday at the weekend.”[/color] The older man had stood up and walked over to [b]Howard[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b]. [color=#000080]“I joined this train in New Orleans yesterday,”[/color] he stated firmly. The woman stared at him in puzzlement. [color=#FF4080]“That’s not possible,”[/color] with a doubtful tone to her voice. [color=#FF4080]“You were already on board when we joined at Albuquerque, and our train doesn’t go anywhere near New Orleans!” [/color] Her voice was brittle as if she was starting to panic. Behind the bar, the Steward stirred, turning to face Howard and giving him his full attention...

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy

William closes the door and continues on to the next car.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 am
by Bullfrog
"I don't know what's wrong with this train, exactly, but is sure as hell ain't normal." Lawrence informs the other passengers, his tone grim. "I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if we don't do anything, then we're liable to be stuck on this train for god-knows-how-long."

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard meets the Steward's eye.

"You got something to add, bud?" he asks, coldly.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:07 am
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] moved along the corridor towards the front of the train. To his left, there was a galley kitchen. It was empty and again something nagged at William but he couldn’t put his finger on it.
Howard and Lawrence,The Steward stared back at Howard. Not angry or malevolent, just a flat stare. [color=#8040BF]”Dinner will be served at 7.00pm. Would you like to refresh yourselves before you eat?”[/color] he intoned, with a curious to his voice. As one, emotion drained from the faces of the fellow passengers and they stood and started walking towards the sleeping car, like automata without free will. Both [b]Howard[/b] And [b]Lawrence[/b] felt a curious jerk in their legs as if they had a will of their own and were trying to carry them away, but the moment passed and then they were alone in the empty salon with Steward staring at them balefully from behind the bar. [i]OOC: Howard [dice]0[/dice] Lawrence [dice]1[/dice][/i]

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

William is puzzled that the pantry and kitchen are both empty, yet somehow people on the train are still fed. With nothing else around, he continues forward toward the front of the train.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 am
by Bullfrog
"We gotta do something about this steward, Howard. He's what's keeping them in a daze; they have to do what he says." Lawrence frantically whispers aside to Howard, having come to an important realization.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] opened the door to the next carriage and immediately recoiled from the stench! It reminded him of a trip out to Hacket’s farm not long after he had started practicing law. He’d gone to serve foreclosure papers but the farm seemed deserted when he got there. Walking around the farmyard trying to find someone to take the papers from him, he’d heard a noise from a nearby shed. He’d pushed open the door to find Farmer Hacket and his boys butchering the hogs. He could still smell the blood, faeces and animalistic fear - the smell from the carriage was just the same! As he paused at the threshold, a green glow gently pulsed underfoot. [b]William[/b] looked down and the floor of the carriage was made up of sickly-green, contorted tubes, that pulsed with a steady ‘bu-bum’ that reminded him of the steady beat of a human heart... [i]OOC: Sanity check please.[/i]
Howard and Lawrence,We’ll give Honeydog a bit longer to update, otherwise it’s just Lawrence on his own.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

William freezes in place when he sees what's beneath him.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 58) for seeing the floor: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] couldn’t work out what the tubes were. They could be some sort of unnatural veins, or intestines... ... From up ahead, around a corner that he was yet to pass, [b]William[/b] heard a spasmodic flickering noise and a wet, fleshy, [i]‘thump!’[/i] [i]OOC: Lose 1 sanity point for seeing the tubes.[/i]

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

William peeks around the corner carefully.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 pm
by Philulhu
William,[i]OOC: Sorry, I should have said that I’d updated the map page with the baggage car (see link below) .William entered from the right hand side of the carriage, where the guard compartment and dog compartment are located. He’s facing the door to the guard’s compartment and the dog compartment and the ‘corner’ to his left, is where the passageway leads down the left hand side of the train. Does that make sense?[/i] [b]Baggage Car:[/b] [url]https://i.postimg.cc/qqwyHsyQ/4-BD74-B6-F-1-FD6-43-D1-BDF1-039-FCD893-BAC.jpg[/url]

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:02 pm
by HoneyDog
"We'll see about that" says Howard grimly.

He walks boldly up to the steward and takes a swing.
Fist,Fist 64: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/813827]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]45[/b]

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
Howard and Lawrence,With the bar between them, [b]Howard’s[/b] wild swing wasn’t able to connect with the Steward. The Steward had no such problems and he caught [b]Howard[/b] with a straight right which sent him crashing to the floor. [b]Steward[/b] - to hit [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice] + [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, I edited my post.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am
by Bullfrog
Seeing his friend get violent with the steward, Lawrence leaps in with an attempted haymaker to the steward's temple.
fist 50%,[dice]1[/dice]
OOC,whoops, didn't remember that the steward was behind a bar. Suppose I'll fix that now
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:33 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard rolled a success.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
]
William,Around the corner, [b]William[/b] could see the pulsating tubes snake away down a corridor and into the gloom at the end of the train. The charnel-house stench intensified and as he tried not vomit, a swinging chandelier caught his eye. Moving with the motion of the train, it slowly spun around so [b]William[/b] could clearly see it was made of human parts, with a guttering candle flickering hellishly in a human skull with its jaw hanging open in a silent scream... [i]OOC: Sanity check please.[/i]
Howard and Lawrence,[i]OOC: My apologies, Honeydog. I misread that as a miss. Can you roll for damage and I’ll update accordingly?[/i]

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Steeling himself, William ventures onward, determined to get to the bottom of this so he and his friends can get off the train.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 57) for looking around the corner: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,FIst damage 1d3 + Damage bonus 1d4 [url=https://orokos.com/roll/814574]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+1d4[/u] [b]2[/b]

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Cut and pasted from another game! This is official.  
William,William moved slowly down the carriage towards the front of the train. The stomach-churning stench only increased as he moved along. He passed a large sliding door marked ‘Baggage’, followed by a second marked ‘Staff’ and then a third, unmarked. Beyond that, the passage opened into a space as wide as the carriage itself, with external sliding doors left and right. The passageway continued forwards, but forward and to the right, there was a door standing ajar, from which an unnerving shuffling, squelching noise could be heard...
Howard and Lawrence,[i]Retconning this slightly...[/i] Reaching over the bar, Howard caught the Steward with his strike but it was nothing compared to the retaliatory hit the Steward landed on him, which sent him stumbling back into the table on the other side of the carriage. The swing brought the Steward forward again and Lawrence gave him a swift punch before Thomas grabbed him and hauled him forcefully over the bar and onto the floor of the carriage with a heavy thump! [i]OOC: Lawrence - There appeared to be two rolls (84 & 50). I’ve given the benefit of the doubt and allowed the successful one, so damage is 1d3 + 1d4 = Philulhu rolled 1d3: 3 [Make removable] + Philulhu rolled 1d4: 3 [Make removable] . Thomas - Grapple (50%) - Philulhu rolled 1d100: 8 [Make removable][/i]

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:31 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence gives a swift kick to the fallen steward, hoping to take the steward down before he (it?) could get back up.
Kick 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

William quietly slides open the door marked "Staff" and peeks inside, keeping an ear out to see if whatever is making the sound is coming into the hall and preparing to duck into the room if it becomes necessary.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:26 pm
by Philulhu
William,[b]William[/b] carefully opened the door and looked into the compartment beyond. It was empty, smelled musty and appeared not to be in use. The wood panelling was the same as the passenger cabins, although less ornate and a lot more worn. The slurping noise continued for further forward, causing a shiver to run down [b]William’s[/b] spine...
Howard and Lawrence,[i]OOC: Waiting for an action from Howard.[/i]

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

William slips into the empty compartment and silently slides the door shut behind him. He listens to determine if the sound moves closer.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
by HoneyDog
Howard gets groggily to his feet, rubbing his jaw.
OOC,Can he attack now?

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:05 am
by Philulhu
William,The guard’s compartment was empty. Like the first class passenger compartments, they had a fold-down bunk, but something told [b]William[/b] that they hadn’t been used in some time. Behind the door, another Steward’s uniform coat hung askance on a hanger. Beyond the door, the snuffling noise could still just about be heard. It didn’t sound as if it was getting closer, but then it didn’t sound as if it was going away either... ...
Howard and Lawrence,[i]All thoughts of a fair fight gone from his head, [b]Lawrence[/b] kicked ineffectually at the Steward as he struggled to free himself from [b]Thomas’[/b] grip. At the same time, [b]Howard[/b] was climbing back off the floor, his blood up and ready to continue the fight... ...[/i]

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:29 am
by HoneyDog
Howard jumps at the man, trying unsuccessfully to pin him.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/816437]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

William takes the spare steward's uniform and returns the way he came to rejoin the others so that someone else can accompany him. Whatever that thing is, he doesn't want to face it alone.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,Is there anything in the room [b]Lawrence[/b] could club the steward with?

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:44 am
by Philulhu
William,Leaving the disturbing squelching noise behind, [b]William[/b] made his way back through the quiet kitchen area and into the dining car. The scene was as before, with views of the savannah out of window and the anachronistically dressed patrons finishing up their repast. As he made his way through the dining car towards the door to the salon car, one of the Stewards looked over towards him. He glanced at the uniform tucked under [b]William’s[/b] arm and said, [color=#8040BF]”Where are you taking that?”[/color]
Howard and Lawrence,Although he managed to avoid attacks by both [b]Howard[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b], the Steward was unable to capitalise and free himself from [b]Thomas[/b]’ grip. As he tried to push himself away, the young policeman suddenly let go and hit the man with a swift punch to the kidneys as he staggered forward! [i] Steward - [dice]0[/dice] Thomas - [dice]1[/dice] OOC: Lawrence - spot hidden, please, to see if he finds anything out of the ordinary.[/i]

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's no longer a spare uniform stored in the toilet," says William. "I'm taking it there to replace it."

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am
by HoneyDog
Howard strikes again at the man, putting his whole body into the punch, and striking a solid blow this time.
Fist,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/816964]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]6[/b] That's a critical success!

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence scans the room for anything he could beat the steward to a pulp with.
Spot hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,Roll for damage, please (I don’t think you get criticals in 6th edition?)

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
Fist damage,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/817523]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+1d4[/u] [b]7[/b]

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
William,The Steward stared at [b]William[/b] for a long moment but eventually turned back to see to the mutton-chopped diner at the table in front of him. The second Steward was similarly occupied, leaving [b]William[/b] to his own devices.
Howard and Lawrence,[b]Lawrence[/b] looked around quickly but couldn’t see anything with sufficient heft to use as a weapon. As [b]Thomas[/b] closed in to try to grab the man again, [b]Howard[/b] caught the Steward with a straight right, which rocked the man on his heals, although something felt wrong about the punch to [b]Howard[/b] - as if it wasn’t connecting with flesh and bone but with something unknown instead... ... [i]OOC: Howard - Can you check against 5 x POW, please?[/i]

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,POW 55: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/817888]Power[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]59[/b]

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Wlliam continues through the dining car, back toward where he left his friends waiting.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 am
by Bullfrog
Having failed to find a bludgeoning instrument, Lawrence sends another kick swinging towards the steward's legs, hoping to topple him over.
kick 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm
by Philulhu
William,Exiting the dining room and moving through the small vestibule, [b]William[/b] heard a [i]’Crash!’[/i] in the direction he was headed...
Howard,Again, [b]Howard[/b] had connected with the Steward but his punch didn’t seem to have as much effect as he thought it should. He found himself reeled in, pulled in against his will and for a moment, there was an acrid smell - a sharp mix of vinegar and lemons - and a strange chittering noise, before the visage of the Steward dissolved and [b]Howard[/b] found himself face to face with some insectoid creature with snapping mandibles, before a piledriver of a punch lifted him off his feet and sent him sprawling across the table opposite the bar! [b]Steward[/b] - [dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice] + [dice]2[/dice] Howard - SAN check, please.
Lawrence,[b]Lawrence[/b] tried to sweep the legs of their opponent, but failed. As he watched, an expression of horror crossed [b]Howard’s[/b] face before the Steward sent him flying into the table opposite the bar.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Wlliam quickens his pace when he hears the crash.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 am
by HoneyDog
As Howard crashes to the floor, his mind tries to register what he just saw.
SAN,SAN 45: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/818220]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]51[/b]

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:01 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence sends a jab flying towards the steward, since kicking him hadn't panned out.
Fist 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
William stepped quickly over to the carriage door and yanked it open. On the other side, he was greeted with the sight of a fight in full flow, as Howard, Lawrence and Thomas wrestled with one of the Stewards. As he looked on, mouth agape, he saw Howard fly backwards onto the table opposite the bar... ...

Howard found himself lying across the table, trying desperately not to slip down between it and the bench seat behind. His mind reeled - what was it he thought that he’d seen?!

Lawrence tried once more to connect with the Steward, but missed again. Thomas took advantage of the Steward’s distraction at Lawrence’s attempted kick to try to rabbit punch the man from behind.
OOC,[b]Howard[/b] - SAN loss [dice]0[/dice] Can you make an Idea roll, please? [b]Thomas[/b] (Fist/punch - 60%) - [dice]1[/dice] Damage [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Wlliam comes up quietly behind the real steward, hoping to take him by surprise.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 am
by HoneyDog
Idea,40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/818507]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b]

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:11 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence swings his fist down like a hammer towards the steward's skull. He absolutely hoped that other steward was William, or they'd be in much worse trouble.
Fist 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Fist damage 1d3+1d4,[dice]1[/dice] + [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:54 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence experienced a moment of panic as another Steward entered the carriage but it ran towards their assailant so he presumed it was William in disguise. He didn’t have time to think though, as he landed a hit on the Steward in front of him! At the same time, Thomas took another swing from behind but it seemed to have little effect.

Sprawled across the table, Howard blinked up at the Steward that was continuing to fight with his friends. Badly shaken, he couldn’t have seen what he thought he saw, could he? It must have been a trick of the light, or a lack of food, or something!
OOC,[b]Howard[/b], fortunately, has not gone temporarily insane. [b]Thomas[/b] (fist - 60%) - [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard gets to his feet and heads to the bar, hoping to find a bottle of strong liquor squirreled away, an idea forming in his mind.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,My post disappeared when the site went down. I had tried to punch the real steward and missed. I think my roll was a 62, but it's gone now.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:14 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence attempts to crudely bash the steward again with an uppercut to the chin, calling out to the newly-arrived steward as he swings:
"William! Is that you?!"
Fist 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Fist damage 1d3+1d4,[dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Wlliam nods, knowing that the real steward won't be able to see him doing it while he is behind him, whereas he would have given himself away if he had spoken.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:47 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence’s punch finally had the desired effect as the Steward’s legs gave way and he fell heavily to the floor just in front of William, apparently out cold.

After the fracas subsided, there was an eerie quiet, with just the noise of the wheels on the rails to be heard. Out of the window, sun-dappled wheat fields stretched as far as the horizon, a light breezing stirring the tips. Here and there, buildings broke up the fields, but none were really close enough to see properly.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard stops and regards the steward.

"That thing isn't human. We should restrain it somehow" he says, the emotion absent from his voice.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 pm
by Bullfrog
"I would say that we should steal that uniform, but I'm not sure if I want to see what that thing looks like under the disguise." Lawrence remarks, wiping the sweat from his brow.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to take it," says William. "We need as many of us as we can get to face whatever it is that's at the front of the train. There's something inhuman making a squelching sound up that way. I found a spare uniform and brought it back, but there was little else of interest so far." He holds it out to the others. "The kitchen and pantry were bare, as were the other compartments that I saw, which makes no sense. Then again, neither does anything else about this train. I'm sure we can find something with which to tie this fellow up. There have to be plenty of cords on a train."

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:04 pm
by HoneyDog
"No need for that" says Howard quietly.

He picks up a chair and brings it down on the steward's head as hard as he can.
OOC,Should I roll for this?

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:46 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Nope! The guy isn’t moving so you will (eventually! ;)) manage to brain him with the chair...
The chair came down on the Steward’s head with a stomach-churning crack! He convulsed a couple of times and then lay still. A pool of oily, blackish ichor started to spread around the Steward’s head, running along the cracks between the floorboards and being soaked up by the carpeting.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's be careful not to get any of that stuff on the uniform," says William, looking away in disgust.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:04 am
by HoneyDog
Howard bends down, and with a grim expression, begins to strip the uniform from the corpse.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:18 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence silently watched on in revulsion, but a more pressing matter was on his mind: what was at the front of the train that gave William such a fright?

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 am
by Philulhu
As the uniform jacket was unbuttoned and pulled away, the appearance of the Steward suddenly changed. It was instantaneous, like the flick of a switch that transforms the night into day, so no-one had the opportunity to prepare themselves or look away.

The face was insectoid, with bulging black eyes and wicked-looking mandibles set in a wide mouth full of teeth. Its upper body was like a carapace, covered in clumps of stiff black hair, with spindly arms, ending in a pair of sharp, opposing claws!
OOC,SAN roll everyone, please.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:53 am
by HoneyDog
SAN,SAN 48: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/821450]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]68[/b]
Howard recoils in shock.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

William goes pale when he sees the creature.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 57) for seeing the steward's true form: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:31 pm
by Bullfrog
San 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence is repulsed by the creative's hideous appearance, but keeps relatively calm.
"What the hell is that?"

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:58 pm
by Philulhu
SAN Loss,[b]Howard[/b] - [dice]0[/dice] - Idea roll, please. [b]Lawrence[/b] - nil [b]William[/b] - [dice]1[/dice] [i]NB. Mr. H - Your original post referred to William as Howard, so I’ve edited it.[/i] [b]Thomas[/b]: SAN check (80%) - [dice]2[/dice] SAN loss - [dice]3[/dice] Once we know Howard’s result, we’ll move on...

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:11 am
by HoneyDog
Idea,Idea 40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/821770]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]22[/b]

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:52 am
by Philulhu
Howard,As [b]Howard[/b] recoiled from the hideous, alien visage, he came to a terrifying realisation - not everything was as it seemed! He looked at the three men surrounding him - the three men with whom he had been through such terrible ordeals and asked himself if he really knew who they were?! They looked older, drawn, tired - was that the torment of their experiences or was that because some alien parasite had overtaken them?! Unable to process everything going through his mind, his vision closed in, faded to black and then [b]Howard[/b] fainted clean away. [i][b]Howard[/b] will be out cold for a little while. When he recovers consciousness, he’s going to be acutely paranoid of everything around him...[/i]
As Lawrence, Thomas and William looked upon the disrobed creature in horror, there was a thump from behind them. Spinning around, they realised that the shock had been too much for their student friend and that Howard had passed out on the floor.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:33 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard has lost a lot of SAN in these last few rounds! He's down to 33. I think he's a goner.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,It’s going to be challenging!

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

William hands the extra uniform he brought back to Lawrence and tries to revive Howard. "We'll need to get rid of the body," he says. "I suggest chucking it out the window. We may also want to clean up the mess, so it isn't suspicious if any others come this way."

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence sets aside his uniform before reluctantly dragging the creature towards the window to shove it out.
OOC,can this window open and is it large enough to fit the creature through?

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,There are external doors at either end of the carriage.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,well, that simplifies things immensely.
With the windows having proven impractical for corpse disposal, Lawrence drags the corpse out over through the external doors to go to hurl it off of the train.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am
by Philulhu
With Thomas’ help, Lawrence dragged the corpse to the door. They wrestled the door open and pushed the corpse out, watching as it bounced off the stone ballast at the side of the track and tumbled into the adjacent corn field. Closing the door again, they returned to the salon.

”That... thing... had some sort of armoured carapace,” said Thomas. “We might need something more than our fists if we’re going to fight any more...”

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I haven't seen many weapons," says William, "but I'm sure there are knives in the dining car, and perhaps in the kitchen as well. And all sorts of things can be used as clubs. Hopefully we won't have to fight. We have three uniforms now, so we should just be able to walk past them, barring one of us. It's that thing I heard toward the front of the train that concerns me."

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 am
by Bullfrog
"There's bound to be bottles of some high-proof alcohol somewhere around here, stuff that's strong enough to catch fire; they could have kerosene or some other oil around here, if we're lucky." Lawrence suggests, looking over the room again for any sort of bludgeoning instrument; firebombs were a fine idea, but it's better to have a more reliable sort of weapon.
"William, what exactly did you see up front in the train?"

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't see it, I just heard it," says William. "It made a squelching, shuffling sound. I didn't go look at it, because then it would have seen me. My reaction might have given me away, even in this uniform. I don't know what it was, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was another of these creatures."

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Where are you planning to search?

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Did I look in the kitchen, and if so, did I see knives there?

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:22 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I'm thinking using table legs as clubs; when it comes to strong, flammable liquor, it's best to check behind the bar

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,[b]William[/b] looked in the kitchen when he went past but I think that was more of cursory glance. He didn’t search in any of the drawers and cupboards. [b]Lawrence[/b] - It’s prohibition era. You’re unlikely to find anything alcoholic behind the bar. There may be other options, however.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:40 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I somehow forgot that Prohibition existed. Oil of any kind would do the job better, anyways. I suppose they could have lanterns somewhere on the train.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Okay, I'll search the kitchen.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,The kitchen is the far side of the dining car, which means going past the Stewards on duty in there again. Do you want to do that now, or wait until you’re all heading to the front of the train?

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:41 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,we should properly arm ourselves before facing any other stewards, since it took the party's entire combined effort to take on one of them.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Don't forget that we have three uniforms now. All but one of us can proceed in disguise and not have to fight, though we'll probably want to pass through the dining car one at a time so as not to arouse suspicion, leaving a little time between each of us.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is Howard still out of it?

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:55 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,Sounds like a fine idea to me. Let's just hope things don't go awry in the typical Call of Cthulhu fashion.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:59 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,For now, he’s still out cold.
Everyone else,Any actions you want to take in the salon before moving on?

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If [b]Howard[/b] hasn't come around yet, we should put him in the compartment so that he isn't just lying around in the corridor.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:33 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Howard is still unconscious.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,[b]Lawrence[/b] is going to put on his Steward uniform.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm
by Philulhu
”Lend me a hand,” said Thomas, as he moved around to take hold of Howard’s shoulders. As he gripped his jacket to lift him, Howard’s eyes flicked open!

Thomas stepped back, taken by surprise. “Hey, you’re back with us!” he said.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
Howard looks around fearfully.

"That thing!" he cries. "Where is it?"

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 am
by Bullfrog
"Splattered on the railway tracks. We beat it senseless, smashed its head in with a chair, then tossed it off the train." Lawrence reassures, gesturing towards the ichor-stain on the floor.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
"There must be more of them though!"

Howard looks around urgently.

"We can't stay here!"

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you put on the third uniform, we can get past the stewards without them noticing," says William.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 am
by HoneyDog
"How can they not notice us!" Howard looks around wildly, almost panicking. "We're not like them! They'll know it!"

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I already did it, and they didn't realize I wasn't one of them," says William. "The uniform produces some sort of illusion that those monsters use to appear human, but it works against them too. As long as you're wearing the uniform, they just assume you're whatever they are, as long as you don't act suspiciously."

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:24 am
by Bullfrog
"Problem is, we don't really know what's suspicious to those creatures. They don't seem very bright, but there's no telling when it comes to things like them." Lawrence acknowledges.
"We're going to need to clean up that stain in the carpet, since it's only a matter of time till a real steward comes through and notices it."

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:45 pm
by Philulhu
“If you three take those uniforms, I’ll stay here and keep an eye out for the guard at the rear of the train,” said Thomas. “If I get the jump on him, I’ll try and take his uniform and come and find you.”

He moved over to the door leading to the sleeping car and carefully cracked it open. “No sign of him, so far,” he said, quietly.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 am
by HoneyDog
Howard begins to strip and put on the uniform.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like a good plan," says William. "Just let us know it's you."

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 am
by Bullfrog
"If you're gonna face a steward, be careful. Keep in mind that it took three of us to fight one, and they've got some thick shells." Lawrence warns, before following Howard's suit and changing into his stolen uniform.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:11 am
by Philulhu
“My God, that’s uncanny!” said Thomas once the three others were dressed in the Steward’s uniform and facing him once more. “If I didn’t know better... ...” He shivered and shook his head.

From the direction of the sleeping car, a door banged. “That could be the other guard! You’d best be quick!”
OOC,Last chance to take anything from the salon before you go. Can you decide in which order you will going through the dining car, if you are going one at a time?

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll go first. What can we see in the salon?

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:29 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I'll go second.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 pm
by Philulhu
The three men quickly passed from the salon and into the vestibule area between it and the dining car. Peering through a crack between the edge of the window and the blind in the dining room door, they could see the dining car was full of people. As William had observed on his previous journey through the car, they appeared to be dressed for an African safari, in a style dating back to the previous century...

The two Stewards in the car were clearing plates from the tables and it looked as if the meal was coming to an end.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go first," says William. "Wait a few minutes after I've gone through, unless something happens and you have to go sooner. Then one of you two can go, and finally the last one after a delay. Anything anyone wants to say or do before we do this? If not, I'll see you on the other side."

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:22 am
by Bullfrog
"I've got nothing to say. Good luck, William." Lawrence says before standing off to a side of the vestibule. He was already preparing excuses in his mind, in case any real stewards got suspicious about his presence.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - William,Please describe what you're doing as you pass through the dining car.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

William looks around as he walks through the dining car. If he sees someone who is finished who isn't being helped by a real steward, he will clear the plates and silverware from the table on his way to the back of the car.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
Howard has his head down, hoping that no-one will look at him.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:15 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence sits in uncomfortable silence, waiting for some more time to pass before he goes through the dining car.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,As things that develop for one PC might affect those following through the dining car, I’ll deal with these one at a time. Stewards: [dice]0[/dice]
The passengers were beginning to get up as William moved through carriage. He picked up a couple of plates from one of the tables as he moved through and was able to avoid the scrutiny of the other Stewards as they dealt with the other passengers. He made his way through the carriage and into the kitchen area without incident.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

William carries the plates into the kitchen, checking to see if he is alone there.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence peeks through the crack to ensure that William has gone through, as well as to get a good look at the dining room and its surroundings before he makes his passage.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:08 pm
by Philulhu
Temporarily at least, William found himself alone in the kitchen.

At the other end of the dining carriage, Lawrence could see that passengers were stood talking, with one or two starting to drift his way. The Stewards continued to clear the table, piling up plates on one another, while trying to avoid the passengers getting in their way.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

William deposits the dirty dishes in the sink, discreetly pocketing the knives. If he has fewer than four, he looks around for any others.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 am
by Bullfrog
With little more time to lose, Lawrence goes to make his way through the dining car, trying his best to look like he's just passing through to another part of the train.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
William - Kitchen,[b]William[/b] examined the two knives he had brought through with the plates, but he found them to be blunt and likely to be of little use. [i]OOC: If you’re looking for anything else, can you give an indication of where you’re looking?[/i]
Lawrence -Dining Car (Dining Area),As he stepped over the threshold, a wave of dizziness swept over [b]Lawrence[/b] and he had to hold onto a nearby chair back to keep his balance. [b]Lawrence[/b] tried to make his way through the dining car, but it was slow progress with the passengers milling around. As he tried to squeeze through, one of the Stewards looked at him and said, [color=#8040BF]”Where are you going?”[/color] Stewards: [dice]0[/dice]
Howard - Dining Car (Vestibule),Now on his own, [b]Howard[/b] risked another nervous peak through the gap in the blind. Passengers were stood talking just on the other side of the door, but strangely, he could see their lips moving but couldn’t hear any sound. Beyond them, he could see [b]Lawrence[/b] stop as one of the Stewards addressed him... ... at least he thought it was [b]Lawrence[/b], he couldn’t be sure as they all now looked very much alike...

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard doesn't know what to think about this latest sight, but he knows he doesn't want to be here. He gets up and follows in the direction of the others.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:15 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,I think my edit may have overlapped with your post (I updated my post once I knew the result of a dice roll for Lawrence). Did you read the updated text, in case it changes what you want Howard to do?

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's okay, the post is fine as it stands.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that the knives are useless, William puts them in the sink with the plates and the rest of the silverware. While he is there, he checks the drawers to see if there are any sharper knives.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 am
by Bullfrog
"I am on my way to the baggage car." Lawrence plainly answers to the steward, before trying to continue his path through the dining room.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 am
by Philulhu
William - Kitchen,Adjacent to the sink, there were drawers full of cutlery and other utensils, including two good-sized kitchen knives. [b]William[/b] tested the blades with his thumb and found them blunt, but then spotted a sharpening steel which, with a bit of work, he could use to put an edge on the blades.
Lawrence & Howard - Dining Car (Dining Area),The Steward looked at [b]Lawrence[/b] with a slight look of puzzlement. [color=#8040BF]”Did you not eat earlier?”[/color] he asked. Behind [b]Lawrence[/b] the dining room door opened as [b]Howard[/b] entered. As he crossed the the threshold, he felt suddenly light-headed and almost staggered into some of the guests who were heading towards him. Their cries of alarm drew the attention of the Stewards who looked from [b]Lawrence[/b] to [b]Howard[/b]. [color=#8040BF]”Where have you come from?”[/color] asked the first Steward, suspiciously. Stewards: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:06 am
by HoneyDog
"Back there" says Howard, cocking his thumb. "I'm going forward, so let me pass."

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

William sharpens the knives on the sharpening steel.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:42 am
by Bullfrog
"I did, you probably just did not notice me. I would like to pass, now." Lawrence insistently stated in reply.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 pm
by Philulhu
The Steward looked towards the door to the salon car and then over to his fellow. They looked at each other for a long moment, then wordlessly stood aside to let Lawrence and then Howard pass by.

Howard glanced back as he exited the dining area and he saw both Stewards motionless, watching him as the guests moved around them and towards the rear of the train. He felt a chill of apprehension before the closing door cut off his view...

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard tries not to shudder.

"They're all watching me! Everyone! I have to get out of here!"

Somehow his feet keep moving forward.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Are the knives sharpened yet?

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence sighs in relief, having made it out of that close shave with the stewards, and continues into the kitchen. Hopefully, William had found something of use in there.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
Howard’s anxiety was lessened only slightly when the door clicked closed behind him. He scurried forward to the kitchen, where he saw two Stewards, one of whom was running a sharpening steel down the blade of a kitchen knife with a cold, metallic hiss... ...
OOC,The knives are now sharp. There are two - one a chef’s knife (1d6+db) and the second a paring knife (1d4+db). What are you doing next?

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34 am
by HoneyDog
“They’re watching me!” hisses Howard in panic. “I know something is up! We can’t stay here!”

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Recognizing Howard by his speech if not by his appearance. William puts the knives down. "It's okay, it's me," he says in a reassuring tone.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:57 am
by HoneyDog
"I'm talking about them! Out there! Those things!"

Howard is white with fear.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence was more than a bit put off by Howard's recent bouts of paranoia, although he couldn't blame his friend for being terrified.
"How are the stewards watching us?"

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We got past them," says William. "They think we're their own, because of these uniforms. If we run into any more, they'll assume the same as long as we don't draw attention to ourselves. I found two knives here in the kitchen. They were dull, but I sharpened them. If you want one, help yourself. The butcher's knife should go to whoever is best with a blade, or at least stronger, which isn't me."

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Decide who will be carrying the knives then we’ll move on.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
Howard draws back, shaking his head.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:42 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence takes the butcher's knife in Howard's stead, glad to finally have a real weapon.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll carry them concealed," says William, taking the smaller knife and hiding it on his person, "so as not to arouse suspicion. Are you ready to go forward?"

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
Howard nods, unconvincingly.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 pm
by Bullfrog
"Let's get this over with." says Lawrence, nodding as he tucks his own blade away into his uniform.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:55 pm
by Philulhu
There was a banging noise from behind them, as if the door leading back to the dining area had been opened and then allowed to slam shut...

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 am
by HoneyDog
"They're coming!" Howard moans. "We have to get out of here!"

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

William puts a finger to his lips briefly, then tiptoes over to the door and peeks out through it.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
William can’t see anyone outside the kitchen area but from his angle, he couldn’t discount someone having stepped into the parlour. Anyone there would be hidden from view...

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

William holds up a hand to motion the others to wait, then steps out of the kitchen.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence warily stands by, ready to pull out his knife if things get violent.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 am
by Philulhu
William looked down the carriage towards the dining area, but could see nothing beyond the wooden partition door.
OOC,Just a reminder of whereabouts on the train you are: [b]Dining Car:[/b] [url]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/o108/Philulhu/0/CF2089E7-E666-46FD-B27F-560E88B5558B.jpeg[/url]

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

William beckons to the others to join him.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 am
by HoneyDog
Hesitating, Howard follows.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence carefully exits last.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:07 pm
by Philulhu
The three men stood in the corridor next to the kitchen. Other than the noise of the wheels on the track, there was no further noise from the parlour end of the car.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's proceed forward," whispers William. "Remember, just act normal, and these creatures won't know we're not their own kind. Don't let them see that you're afraid."

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence nods in reply, trying his best to remove any expression or emotion from his face in some effort to mimic the stewards' odd demeanor.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:08 am
by HoneyDog
Howard follows, trying to keep his mind blank.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
Having already been this way, William lead Howard and Lawrence though to the door and into the next carriage.

Unlike the smart wood panelling of the dining carriage, this was altogether more utilitarian, with none of the finery of the first class carriages. More markedly, however, was the rancid stench of blood and human filth - William was expecting it but his friends were left reeling!

As they tried not to vomit, they noticed a green glow that gently pulsed underfoot. Sickly-green, contorted tubes pulsed with a steady rhythm, like arteries carrying the lifeblood from a heart...
OOC - Howard & Lawrence,Sanity check please.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:58 am
by HoneyDog
Howard
SAN,SAN 33 [url=https://orokos.com/roll/833826]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/833829]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]4[/b] I think Howard must of lost his sanity now.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I had a similar reaction the first time I saw it," says William. "Best not to focus on it. Just look straight ahead."

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:32 am
by Bullfrog
Sanity 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence is sent staggering by the horrendous stench and unnatural sights, nearly spewing up some of his stomach contents into his mouth.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 am
by Philulhu
Howard & Lawrence,Actually, the SAN loss is just one point. Although the stench is horrendous, that is mundane in origin and it’s only the sight of the throbbing tendrils on the floor that is unnerving.
William’s comrades in arms reeled at the sight of the thick, unholy tubes. They stretched across the floor towards the front of the train, pulsing wetly, like they pumped some hideous life force throughout the train...

Further forward, William could see a carriage door ajar, with the wet snuffling noise he had heard earlier, causing cold shivers down his spine.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's what I heard earlier," whispers William. "We'll have to try to quietly go past it to reach the front of the train. Hopefully, these uniforms will keep it from attacking us."

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:34 am
by Bullfrog
" 'Hopefully' isn't much reassurance, since none of us know what could be up there." Lawrence mutters, having taken a moment to recover from his initial disgust.
"I'm going to peek inside and tell you all what I see. Let's just pray that whatever's in there doesn't kill me on sight."

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 am
by Philulhu
Lawrence,Can you check if Lawrence makes his Stealth roll?

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 am
by Bullfrog
Sneak 10%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:44 am
by Philulhu
Lawrence moved up to the doorway. Inside the compartment, six of the creatures hung like bats from the roof spars. Their ant-like appendages glistened and dripped ichor in long strings to the floor. On the floor were some large flesh-coloured balloons that jostled against each other.

As he watched, one of the globes lazily rotated as if one side was weighted more than the other. As it settled, Lawrence found himself staring into the dead staring eyes of what he could only presume was at one time a passenger. His legs buckled and as he tried to steady himself, his hand caught the door handle. It opened with a ‘CREEEAAAKKK!’ and, as one, the creatures turned to look at the interloper...
Lawrence,SAN roll, please.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:46 am
by Bullfrog
SAN 59,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Looks like things are about to get [i]very[/i] interesting

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:13 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Yeah... ... Lawrence - SAN loss - [dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence let the door swing closed again as he backed away. There was a moment’s silence, then a ‘thump’ came from beyond the closed door. The sort of noise that might be made by a hideous, alien, insectoid creature that had dropped to the floor, followed by another, and another... ...
Howard,Sorry for the delay in tracking this down but as Howard went insane for the first time, he gains 5% in Cthulhu Mythos.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:49 pm
by Bullfrog
The blood drains from Lawrence's face as he rushes to hold the door shut, reaching for his knife in a speechless panic.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

William hurries forward to help him, his hand on his own knife.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 pm
by HoneyDog
”What... what’s going on?” shouts Howard.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:48 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence grabbed the door handle and held the door shut. From the other side, there was a strange chittering noise and thumping footsteps as the creatures crossed the room.

Lawrence felt the door move in the frame, and then the door handle started to turn in his sweat-soaked grip...
OOC,Fight or flight?

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can we wedge a knife in the handle to jam the door shut?

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,we have knives, but I'm not liking these odds. I'll vouch for flight.
"There's four of them in there, Howard!" Lawrence harshly whispers, door-handle still clenched in his hand.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:45 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,This is what the door handle looks like: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/PfMpq3Qp/4-B59-C5-AF-6-DDC-49-D2-9-EA9-03533-B67-D7-F0.jpg[/img] Realistically, there’s no way to use a knife to prevent the handle from turning. There is a way to stop the handle being used to open the door, though... (I’ll take an Idea roll if you can’t work it out).

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The only thing I can think of is to unscrew the handle and remove it, but I don't think we have a screwdriver. Idea roll (80% stat) about how to keep the door shut: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 am
by Philulhu
OOC,You’re on the right lines, Mr Handy, but I’ll give the others an opportunity to work it out before I provide an answer.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:14 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,Could a chair being jammed under the handle maybe work?

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:50 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Sorry, no. The door opens inwards.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
"Oh God!" Howard cries. "They're coming for us!"

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:06 am
by Bullfrog
"Stop shouting, Howard! The last thing we need is more stewards to come in here!" Lawrence furiously hisses in reply.
OOC,I wonder if it would be possible to shove the door open with enough force to knock down whichever creature is trying to open it; maybe that could buy us a little time.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 am
by Philulhu
OOC,I’ll take an idea roll.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 pm
by Bullfrog
Idea 45%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 am
by Philulhu
OOC,It occurred to [b]Lawrence[/b] that the latch would only disengage if the spindle was still in place. Breaking or removing that would slow down anything on the other side.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:21 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I don't think we have any of the tools or time to take the doorknob apart, so I suppose we'll just have to brute-force it.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:50 am
by Philulhu
OOC,That seems the most obvious approach.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Howard[/b] is the strongest. If only one of us can do it, it should be him.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,What does Howard need to roll?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,it would also help if we used something heavy, since that's going to provide more force than just fists.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,TBH, a hefty kick would probably do it. The handle itself isn’t particularly large or sturdy, but dislodging the spindle would be sufficient to stop it being used from the other side.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:40 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,it's a plan, then.
"Howard, I'm going to need you to come break this doorknob." Lawrence hurriedly suggests, having finally formed an idea in his mind.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:42 am
by HoneyDog
"What? How?" says Howard.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:46 am
by Bullfrog
"Kick it from the side, hit it with something; I don't care what you do, as long as it breaks the spindle inside." Lawrence advises.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Do I roll Kick? Strength?

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 am
by Philulhu
OOC,You can try kicking it (25% base chance).

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard tries to kick the handle but his aim is off.
OOC,Kick 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/839765]Kick[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]74[/b] Surely anyone can attempt this roll?

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Yes, it just needs to be hit with sufficient force to break the latch and remove the spindle. The handle isn’t particularly big - probably no more than a couple of inches across - or sturdy, but as long is it and the spindle are in place, the door can be opened.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

William tries to kick the handle, but he fails to break it.
OOC,Kick roll (27% skill) to break the handle: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:38 am
by Bullfrog
Kick 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence's desperate kick meets its mark!

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Phew! :)
The sturdy sole of Lawrence’s shoe connected with the door handle which gave way with a crack and spun across the carriage, exposing the spindle inside. Desperate fingers grabbed at it and managed to pull it clear, even as it was beginning to rotate. There was a ‘snick’ as the spring pushed the bolt home, leaving just an impotent squeaking as the handle turned uselessly on the other side of the door.

There was a pause for a few moments, then a ‘thump!’ and the door rattled in its frame, as if someone was throwing themselves at the other side in an attempt to break it down...

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

William hurries past the door toward the front of the train, gesturing for the others to follow.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:49 am
by HoneyDog
Howard needs no encouragement, and quickly runs after William.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:25 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence puts away his knife and hurries his way out of the room, hot on the heels of Howard and William.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:44 pm
by Philulhu
The three men ran through the carriage, following the pulsing tendrils that lined the floor, trying not to slip on the rancid ooze that surrounded them. The tendrils led them forward, past an empty baggage compartment and into another vestibule, with what appeared to be a shower room to one side.

In front of them, through a crudely hacked floor-level hole in the carriage door, the tendrils snakes through and appeared to climb up the ladder at the back of the tender to the engine itself.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It looks like we'll have to climb the ladder to get to the engine," says William.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:43 am
by Bullfrog
"Let's not waste any time, then." Lawrence replies, a hint of urgency in his tone, as he heads through the carriage door.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard runs after them.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

William also heads through the door, shutting it and, if possible, barring it behind him. Then he scales the ladder.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
Beyond the carriage door, the noise and the oily, black smoke from the engine made further conversation impossible. The roiling smoke all but obscured the sunlight, and coated everything in its path with a rancid greasy residue. A stench akin to burning tyres and roasting flesh assaulted the three men as they climbed the ladder, with the pulsating tendrils writhing under their hands as they rose up above the rear of the tender and scrambled over the lip and into the space beyond.

Where they might have expected to find coal, the tender was piled high with thick blocks of some black, greasy obsidian substance, which shifted as the train rocked on the tracks. Buffeted by the wind in their exposed position, it was a struggle for the men to stay on their feet...
OOC,DEX checks please.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

William is extremely surefooted.
OOC,DEX x 5 roll (50% stat) on the tender: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
Howard can't keep his footing.
DEX,DEX 50: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/841057]Dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]87[/b]

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 am
by Bullfrog
DEX×5(50%),[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence slips on the "coal".

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:45 pm
by Philulhu
William clambered over the back of the tender and perched on the edge while he helped up Lawrence and Thomas. Whilst his footing was rock-steady, the others were not so fortunate. They slipped on the tar-black and skidded down the pile, landing in a uncomfortable heap at the back of driver’s cab. Looking up, they saw a mound of sweating flesh the height of a man, from which tentacles emerged, which operated the glowing red levers that controlled the train.

As they looked up, spherical lumps rolled under the skin, emerging as blinking eyes in the creatures back, staring at them balefully...

OOC,Lawrence & Howard - lose 1 HP each. All - SAN rolls, please. Driver - Listen: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
Howard gasps in horror.
SAN,SAN 32: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/841324]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]87[/b]

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Strangely, William isn't too badly affected by seeing the monstrosity. After every horrible thing he's seen, what's one more?
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 55) seeing the creature: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 am
by Bullfrog
San 57,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence is too focused on getting off of this godforsaken train to lose his head at the sight the horrible creature; the controls are in sight!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:33 pm
by Philulhu
SAN,Lawrence & William: lose 1 point each. Howard, lose [dice]0[/dice] points. Actions?

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,would it be possible to throw one of those "coal" pieces?

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,They’re about a foot to a foot and a half long (30-45cm) and around half that across. Given their size and the fact that they are greasy, it wouldn’t be easy to throw them accurately. If you’re looking for something to use as a weapon, I’ll take a Spot Hidden roll.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:10 am
by HoneyDog
SAN,SAN 32 Now 27 Idea 40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/841574]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b] This means Howard has temporary insanity now.
This latest monstrosity is too much for Howard. He screams at the top of his lungs.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"There is trouble back there," William says to the creature as he looks for anything that might make a better weapon than his paring knife. "You are needed in the train cars. We will take the controls."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking for a weapon: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:25 am
by HoneyDog
Howard runs at the monster, fists cartwheeling, still screaming.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 am
by Bullfrog
Spot Hidden 26%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence looks around for something a little more substantial than his knife, hopefully something that could shift the driver's attention away from Howard.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:17 am
by Philulhu
Steam partially obscured the cab but as William addressed the creature, he spotted a long-handled shovel, the type the engineer might use to stoke the firebox, among the maze of pipes and dials. Without loosing its hold on the levers, more eyes flickered open on the creature’s fleshy back and they studied the lawyer as if briefly contemplating what he said, until Howard’s sudden scream drew their attention away.

The eyes hardened as the young student charged in, arms windmilling, and ridges appeared in the corpulent flesh which quickly developed into muscular tentacles that emerged with a sickening ‘pop!’ and rose to meet his assault...
OOC,William: the shovel is an improvised weapon (1d6 damage) Lawrence: nothing found. NB. Howard is already carrying an injury from his earlier encounter with the Steward.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Should Howard roll?

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Yes, actions, please.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:27 am
by HoneyDog
Howard swings a wild fist at the creature, but cannot connect.
Fist,Fist 62: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/841906]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]68[/b]

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence draws his chef's knife and charges the driver-thing, intent on slashing the creature's flabby body.
Knife 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

William grabs up the shovel and swings it at the creature.
OOC,Small Club roll (25% base skill) attacking the creature with the shovel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:24 am
by Philulhu
Two fleshy tentacles flail wildly from the corpulent mass, flying through the air. The first sails over Howard’s head as he windmills against the creature, but the second heads straight for Lawrence, who missed with his own attack...
OOC,Tentacle#1: To hit - [dice]0[/dice] Target - [dice]1[/dice] Tentacle#2: To hit - [dice]2[/dice] Target - [dice]3[/dice] - Lawrence (who can try and dodge) Damage - [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:06 am
by Bullfrog
Dodge 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence, in a stroke of luck, sidesteps the flailing tentacle, retaliating with another attempted stab.
Knife 25%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 am
by HoneyDog
Screaming again, Howard throws himself at the creature, trying to wrestle it to the ground.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/842163]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]42[/b]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

William takes another swing.
OOC,Small Club roll (25% base skill) attacking the creature with the shovel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:55 am
by Philulhu
There was a throaty, gurgling noise, as if the creature laughed at their attempts to hit it, then it struck out again. One tentacle missed Howard but the second targeted Lawrence again, whistling through the air towards him...
OOC,Tentacle#1: To hit - [dice]0[/dice] - Miss! Target - [dice]1[/dice] Damage - [dice]2[/dice] Tentacle#2: To hit - [dice]3[/dice] - Hit! Target - [dice]4[/dice] - Lawrence (who can try and dodge) Damage - [dice]5[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:28 am
by Bullfrog
Dodge 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence failed to avoid the blow, sent reeling by having the wind knocked out of him; infuriated by the creature's mocking "laughter", he lashed out at it with a hook punch.
Fist 50%,[dice]1[/dice]
Fist damage 1d3+1d4,[dice]2[/dice]+[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Sobbing now, Howard can only weakly embrace the creature as the strength leaves his body.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/842269]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]89[/b]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

William swings again.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:00 am
by Philulhu
The bloated flesh of the driver-creature distorted and tore as a result of Lawrence’s strike and it emitted a high-pitched keening noise that set their teeth on edge. As its two tentacles struck out again, one of the appendages that gripped the controls loosed its grip on the red-hot controls and snaked over the cord that blew the whistle at a deafening volume, as if summoning assistance from its kin on the train.
OOC,Tentacle#1: To hit - [dice]0[/dice] - Miss! Target - [dice]1[/dice] Damage - [dice]2[/dice] Tentacle#2: To hit - [dice]3[/dice] - Miss! Target - [dice]4[/dice] Damage - [dice]5[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:09 am
by Mr. Handy

William attacks the thing with his shovel a third time.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:21 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence attempts once more to run the creature through with his knife.
Knife 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:52 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Those dice rolls just aren’t happening... :o

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:48 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,the random number gods hate us.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 am
by HoneyDog
Howard tries to seize the creature again.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/842900]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b]

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:34 pm
by Philulhu
Howard found the sweaty, greasy flesh difficult to get hold over and caught his foot on a pipe on the floor of the cab. He felt his foot slip and he crashed to the floor, banging his cheek and opening a nasty wound. His vision blurred and all he could do was try to focus on the fleshy skirt of the creature that brushed the cab floor and the pulsating tendrils that snaked into the firebox of the engine.

Lawrence and William tried again but again without success. The creature gave a gloating, gurgling chuckle and pulled on the chain to sound the horn again, while flailing with meaty fists at the end of its tentacles...
OOC,Howard - 1HP. Tentacle#1: To hit - [dice]0[/dice] Target - [dice]1[/dice] - William (dodge roll required) Damage - [dice]2[/dice] Tentacle#2: To hit - [dice]3[/dice] Target - [dice]4[/dice] Damage - [dice]5[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:50 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence once more attempts to plunge his knife into the creature's body.
Knife 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

William deftly avoids the tentacle, and then he takes another swing.
OOC,Dodge roll (20% base skill) to avoid the creature: [dice]0[/dice] Small Club roll (25% base skill) attacking the creature with the shovel: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 am
by HoneyDog
Dazed, Howard staggers back toward the creature, but the fight has gone out of him a little.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/843086]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]42[/b]

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:41 pm
by Philulhu
The creature howled as William twisted away and it’s strike went wild, but then swayed like a boxer as the three men tried to attack it without success. Its tentacles whipped out again while another blast of the whistle sounded, this time accompanied by the crash of the door of the baggage car being flung open - it seemed the creature’s call to arms had succeeded!
OOC,Howard - Tentacle#1: To hit - [dice]0[/dice] Target - [dice]1[/dice] Lawrence (dodge roll, please) Damage - [dice]2[/dice] Tentacle#2: To hit - [dice]3[/dice] Target - [dice]4[/dice] Damage - [dice]5[/dice] Howard - Idea roll, please.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:13 pm
by Bullfrog
Dodge 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
CON×5 (90),[dice]1[/dice]
Several things inside of Lawrence cracked as the blow knocked him off of his feet, sending him tumbling to the floor. Despite his grievous injuries, he still violently thrashed at the creature with his balled fists.
Fist 50%,[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:11 am
by HoneyDog
Idea,Idea 40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/843366]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]70[/b]

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Decouple the rest of the train!" William calls as he takes another swing. "Then they'll be stuck and can't reach us!"

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
His lips curled back, spittle flecking his cheeks, the manic Howard finally succeeds in gripping the creature, hoping to tear it apart with his bare hands.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/843716]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]17[/b]

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm
by Philulhu
The flesh-mountain’s triumphant howl ended in a scream of protest as Howard’s scratched deep furrows in its skin before his grip locked in. Its tentacles grasped the window apertures and it shook violently, like a dog might try to shake off an attacker. As try as he might, Howard couldn’t hold on and he fell back against the wall of the cab.

At the back of the engine footplate, William looked down and below the pulsating tendrils, could see the coupler that held the engine and the tender together. It looked like two intertwined metal fists, holding each other in a vice-like grip...
OOC,Creature - Grapple [dice]0[/dice] This shows the coupler: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/k5qcnv83/29-F65-D9-F-FFBD-4946-9715-06-FAB961-DA8-B.jpg[/img] Specifically, this is the model in use: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/CLrnQHML/C9234-F3-B-E344-4-D8-E-A3-ED-33662-A93-B0-C9.jpg[/img]

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 pm
by Bullfrog
Spitting out a bit of blood, Lawrence throws an opportunistic jab at the creature.
Fist 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Fist damage 1d3+1d4,[dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Since nobody else has done it and having proven useless in the fight, William goes for the coupling mechanism. He grips the lever sticking out on the right, squeezing the handle and pulling it in order to separate the locomotive from the rest of the train.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I’m not sure what you’re trying to do, Mr Handy? Which lever is [b]William[/b] pulling?

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,In the lower right of the top picture, there's a lever sticking out from the coupling mechanism at an angle.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:07 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Ah, sorry, I see what you mean. I used that image to show how the two parts of the coupler work together but it’s a more contemporary picture as I think that’s a electronic sensor... :oops: If you look at the other image, it’s the pin above the ‘knuckle’ that’s preventing it from opening.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,In that case, I'll remove the pin.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
Howard,Can you confirm your action this round, please?
William gripped the head of the pin and managed to lift it about an inch before it stuck fast. It looked as if the pin was held in place by the pressure of the drag of the carriages opposed by the forward momentum of the train. William realised if that pressure could be eased, the pin should come free!

Behind him, Lawrence landed a punch that landed with a fleshy ‘smack!‘ The creature switched its attention to the young farmer and both tentacles tried to wrap themselves around him to prevent further attacks. He avoided one attack, but the second caught him around the neck and started to squeeze...
OOC,Tentacle#1: Grapple - [dice]0[/dice] Tentacle#2: Grapple - [dice]1[/dice] Lawrence - you require a successful grapple roll to counter.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:29 am
by HoneyDog
Howard tries to wrestle the tentacle away, but cannot hold it.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/844848]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]87[/b]

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"The train's moving too fast!" calls William. "We need to slow it down before I can decouple it!" If nobody else is able to do it, William will go for the brakes and apply them.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 am
by Bullfrog
Grapple 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence struggles to escape the tentacle's grasp, but can't wrench himself free.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:15 am
by Philulhu
The train controls were a bewildering maze of pipes, levers and dials. Which one would William choose?!

OOC,NB. The creature is holding on to the red bar at 45 degrees in the middle of the picture. Can you indicate what William is going to do?
Neither Howard nor Lawrence could get purchase on the sweaty tentacle that had encircled Lawrence’s throat. He could feel his eyes bulging in his head and he couldn’t breathe! He felt himself being pulled into the creature’s embrace as it gave a gurgling howl of triumph!
Lawrence,Can you check against CON x 10, please?

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,Do you mean ×5, or am I mistaken?

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,You’re checking to see if Lawrence is suffocating, which starts at CONx10 if I’ve read the rules right?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd have thought that the red bar at the 45 degree angle was the brake lever. There's also that lever in the lower left that could be it, or the one on the lower right. Can I make an Idea roll or a skill roll to determine where the brake controls are?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:17 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I am mistaken, then
CON 18×10=180,[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence kept on kicking despite the tentacle encircling his neck, desperately trying to free himself from the creature's grip.
Grapple 25%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:15 am
by Philulhu
William,Yes, make an Idea roll, please.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:26 am
by HoneyDog
Howard tries again to loosen the creature's grip, but it is too strong for him.
Grapple,Grapple 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845383]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b]

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

William has a pretty good idea of where the brake is.
OOC,Idea roll (80% stat) about where to find the brake: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:51 pm
by Philulhu
William,The controls to the right look like they are for the brakes: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/RZrgXhyJ/634-C462-F-47-D8-4-E8-B-91-B2-D1-B0-C7242301.jpg[/img] The red lever controls the brakes for the engine, being rotated to apply it. The black lever (bottom right) controls the brake in the coaches.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

William rotates the red lever on the right first to slow down the engine, and then pulls the black lever below it.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am
by Philulhu
As William spun the brake handle, the train lurched alarmingly and the wheels screeched as the forward momentum and the deceleration of the brakes fought against each other! The change in speed caused everyone to stagger forward and there was an angry hissing sound and the rank smell of burning flesh as the creature crashed into the firebox!

The brakes for the carriages then caught and the force pulled the engine backwards and everyone found themselves being pushed towards the back of the footplate, perilously balanced over the gap between the engine and tender!
OOC,Howard - your attempt to escape has a +20 bonus this turn. Actions?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:54 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think you mean Lawrence, not Howard?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:05 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Sorry, Lawrence, not Howard, although if Howard is trying to help Lawrence, then the same bonus would apply.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:17 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard tries to retain his hold on the creature.
Grapple,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/845804]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]66[/b]

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:24 am
by Bullfrog
Grapple 25%+20% (45%),[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence tears himself free from the creature's grasp, taking a second to regain his breath.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

With the train slowed down, William carefully makes his way back to the coupling mechanism to pull out the pin.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm
by Philulhu
William reached for the pin and pulled hard! It moved, stuck fast as the engine and tender bumped into each other again, then came free, disappearing into the gap in between.

For a moment, engine and tender maintained their relative speed but the rear part of the train began to slow and the gap between the two began to grow, imperceptibly at first, but then with growing speed!

The creature’s tentacles flew towards the brake and the tender, one trying to slow the train and the other grasping for purchase on the wall of the tender as if trying to pull the two parts of the train back together.

From the firebox came a keening howl of rage as the ropey tendrils started to stretch as the engine and tender moved further and further apart!
OOC,Actions?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

William picks up his shovel again and swings it at the creature. He feels bad about having left Thomas behind on the train, but he knows that if he had not separated it from the engine, they would all have been overwhelmed by those things.
OOC,Small Club roll (25% base skill) attacking the creature with the shovel again: [dice]0[/dice] Damage: [dice]1[/dice] I think that's a critical hit, too! :shock:

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:11 am
by Bullfrog
Seeing a chance to strike, Lawrence attempts to thrust his knife into the creature.
Knife 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Damage 1d6+1d4,[dice]1[/dice] + [dice]2[/dice]
OOC,Impale! Looks like luck has turned back in our favor
impale damage,[dice]3[/dice] + [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 am
by Philulhu
OOC,6th edition CoC rules allow for an Impale at 20% of to hit role for firearms and pointed weapons. I reckon Lawrence’s hit causes another 1d6 damage, but it will require a a successful hit to remove the knife as it is now caught on something inside the creature. I’m not sure you could impale with a shovel but if you think otherwise, feel free to argue differently. Once we get an update for Howard, we’ll see what happens next!

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard is at the end of his mental energy. He vainly claws at the creature, but he cannot sustain himself much longer.
Grapple,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/846534]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]81[/b]

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The impale with the knife actually does an additional 1D6+damage bonus, so he should get an additional 1d6+1D4 for the damage bonus. Shovels do not impale, but there's an optional rule for critical hits in 6th edition for a roll of 1-5, which that was. Critical hits can have special effects that are up to the Keeper. Typically, they will ignore armor if there is any, or they will do double damage (like an impale does) if there is no armor. They could also stun the target.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,The rule About impales is a bit ambiguous, I think. The example on page 59 states “Roll for damage twice” and I’d interpreted that as rolling the damage dice twice, before adding the damage bonus. Unhelpfully, the example doesn’t reference the damage bonus so it doesn’t give a definitive answer. I’m happy to allow it though, so Bullfrog can you let me know what your second roll is. Where can I find the rule for critical hits? I’ve been through the combat section and can’t see them.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:32 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,I've updated my original impale post. You can ignore the damage bonus on the second damage roll, if that's how you decide to rule it.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It's not under combat, it's under optional rules in the Keeper's toolkit, page 140. Page 59 says that impales double the damage roll, and I've always run it that you roll twice the dice, including the damage bonus.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:54 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Ok, thanks for that. Happy to treat that as a crit - can you roll your additional damage?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You're welcome, and thank you! Addition critical damage: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm
by Philulhu
Lawrence’s knife bit deep into the creature and it started to spasm in pain, but that was swiftly put to an end when William brought the shovel down sharply, opening an evil-looking gash across its front. The creature convulsed once more, its multiple eyes wide with shock, before it collapsed in a fleshy heap, sizzling against the open firebox.

Before they could react, a shout from the tender drew their attention. Bloodied and with a wicked-looking cut across his scalp, Thomas waved weakly. As the three men watched him, the scene flickered as if they were watching a a doubly-exposed film, and multiple copies of the tender started to peel away as if following tracks leading to different places... ... or times... ...

As the gap between the train and tender grew, Thomas’ face paled as he looked beyond the train and he shouted again.

”Jump!”

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
]Image

William runs to the gap and tries to leap over it to where Thomas stands.
OOC,Jump roll (25% base skill) jumping across the gap: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:40 am
by Bullfrog
Not wanting to stick around and see what Thomas was so frightened about, Lawrence gets a running start and attempts to jump across the gap.
Jump 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,[i]Ouch.[/i]

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:16 am
by HoneyDog
Howard closes his eyes and jumps.
Jump,Jump 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/847340]Jump[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] I guess he doesn't make it. Poor Howard! He was a good character.

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 pm
by Philulhu
As the two parts of the train moved apart, William leapt easily from the boilerplate to the tender. Lawrence tried to follow but his foot slipped on the ichor that leaked from the distended tendrils that snaked across the floor. Without purchase, he lacked forward momentum and he fell between the train and the tender, landing heavily on the wooden sleepers and stone ballast, which were oily and slick from the passage of many trains.

Howard wasn’t so lucky. Having seen Lawrence fall, he tried to overcompensate and threw himself as hard as he could from the back of the engine. The distance was good, but he missed his footing on landing and he dropped to the track, catching his jaw on the carriage step with a sickening ‘crack!’ as he crashed onto the sleepers below...
OOC,Lawrence - 1d6 damage [dice]0[/dice] CON check please - that’s half Lawrence’s remain hit points. Howard - 1d6 damage but with his jump a critical failure, he will take maximum damage and now has -2 hit points...

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 pm
by Bullfrog
Con 18×5 (90),[dice]0[/dice]
Lawrence is down for the count, it's safe to say.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,That's the first time I've seen a critical failure for such an important roll! Yes, Howard's done for. I think he'd reached his limit anyway. Thanks for the game Phil! Good one!

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

William tries desperately to save Howard's life.
OOC,There's actually one chance to save him, as long as his HP are no lower than -2. A successful First Aid roll applied before the end of the following round heals 1D3 HP, and if he gets back up to 1, he survives. That requires not only a success but a 3 on the healing roll. However, if he has multiple injuries, [b]Thomas[/b] can try to treat the other one. First Aid roll (50% skill) treating [b]Howard[/b]'s injury: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I believe Howard has fallen off the train. He can't be reached!

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:04 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,William is on the train but Lawrence and Howard fell onto the sleepers between the tracks so they are under the carriages, which are slowing down but still moving forward. Anyone want to add anything?

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:31 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I've got nothing to add.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Then there's nothing I can do. My roll failed anyway. I have nothing further to add.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 pm
by Philulhu
It was as well for Willliam that he was so concerned for the fate of his friends that he didn’t look to see where the engine went. The surroundings faded from view and the engine continued on its way, following the tracks into the boiling chaos of space... ...

On the train, William barely noticed as the mirror images of the train peeled away and became insubstantial, flickering and melting away until they disappeared from view. As soon as the speed dropped sufficiently, he leapt down from the train and ran back down the track with Thomas close behind.

The train carriages cleared the bodies of Lawrence and Howard and creaked to halt a dozen yards or so beyond. As William reached his friends, Lawrence coughed and stirred but it was clear that Howard’s life force was extinguished and the young student was no more.

Thomas looked back down the track where a couple of shacks sat aside a crossing. ”I’ll go and get help,” he said in a broken voice and he set off at a shambling run, leaving William standing in the spring sunshine to contemplate the fate of his friends and the horrors they had experienced together... ...
OOC,Thanks for playing, gents. I hope you enjoyed it.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You're welcome, and thank you for running it. It was a lot of fun. Things looked bad for us, but we managed to come through at the end with some very lucky rolls.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:52 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,There's been a lot of wild and memorable moments throughout this small-ish campaign, and I'd say it's been a good time for sure, and I can't wait to play again someday.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Thanks, guys :) [b]William[/b] and [b]Lawrence[/b] may yet get the chance to return. I have an idea... In the meantime, though, I’m thinking about a change of scene. Has anyone played The Highway of Blood?

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You're welcome. I haven't even heard of it before.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:47 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,I can't say I've heard of it either.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:45 am
by Philulhu
OOC,It’s a grindhouse-inspired scenario, set in 1970s Texas. More details here: https://www.chaosium.com/blogmiskatonic-monday-many-many-more-new-titles/

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks again Phil. I still can't believe that roll. I'm not so into modern scenarios I'm afraid, you'll have to count me out.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:14 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Thanks, Honeydog. Yeah, that roll was unfortunate! I’ll see if there’s any takers for Highway of Blood then decide what to do next.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd be interested in playing. I have a great 1970s character I could bring back.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:08 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,OK :) It isn’t the end of the road for William and Lawrence, I just fancy running something different for a while. There’s a story thread I have in mind, which I’m struggling to write at the mo’ but I plan to come back to this at some point in the future.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,my apologies, but it doesn't seem like something I'd be very interested in.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:34 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK,thanks for letting me know. I’ll give some thought as to where this goes next (and I need to get into the loft and dig out some scenarios :) ) Honeydog - would you be interested in bringing in another character when we continue?

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks Phil - it will depend on the scenario, I think. But please just go ahead and run the game that you want to run. There will be plenty of players available.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:01 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,If I'm guessing the nature of this bizarre train correctly, then I think we'll have a whole bunch of possible scenarios. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be quite entertaining.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Hi all, I’ve postponed my plans to run Highway of Blood for the time being, so I’m working on the next chapter of our story. Unless there is anything else you wish to add to your current investigation, then I’ll write a wrap-up post with a view to bringing the PCs back to Arkham to see what the fates have in store for them next. Honeydog - I hope you’re planning to continue. Have you had any thoughts about what sort of character you would like to play next? Thanks, Phil.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:51 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm not sure - I don't know how much time I can spare right now. I had a character from Priest's game which never started, which might do.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm ready to wrap this up and start the next adventure.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 am
by Bullfrog
OOC,Let's wrap things up, gentlemen.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:10 pm
by Philulhu
Epilogue

The sun was almost setting before local Sheriff arrived, summoned by the farmer whose home was along the track, who had been called from his fields by Thomas. The Sheriff looked confused as he walked along the track, knelt down beside the fallen body of Howard before moving along to talk to the confused passengers, who sat on the steps of the train carriages. He spoke to them for a while before coming back to talk to William and Lawrence.

He listened to their version of events and shook his head. He was a small-town cop and not used to events that seemed to defy a reasonable explanation. He fell back on the routines he would normally follow, arranging for the farmer to take Howard’s body into town, where the local doctor would make the arrangements to have Howard returned home.

The local priest put up William and Lawrence, while the Sheriff provided a bunk for Thomas. The next morning, the priest drove the three men to the nearby town of Meridian where they picked up the Greyhound bus on the first leg of their trip home to Arkham, a journey of almost three days...

They arrived in Arkham in the early hours and headed home, trudging though the quiet streets until they could close their front doors on the events of the past weeks and collapse into bed for a thankfully dreamless sleep. They rose late the next day, relishing the silence until late afternoon when the sound of the letterbox broke the reverie. On the mat was a plain envelope, and inside was a short, curt note, with an invitation to the home of Gerard Fraser Snr. at 11 ‘o’ clock the next day... ...

The adventure will continue soon in Paper and Ink.
Honeydog,What character are you thinking of playing?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Phil, I'll have to pass on this one. I have my hands full with the other adventures.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:39 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Honeydog - Ok, thanks for playing. Bullfrog, Mr Handy - This will work with two, but if you’re ok with it, I’ll open this up to see if anyone else would like join us?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm
by Bullfrog
OOC,I'm most certainly okay with it.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd also welcome additional players.