Ch.15d Baton Rouge

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Post by Philulhu »

We’ve been playing for more than four years and I never picked up on it… 🙄

Returning to their respective rooms, they prepared for bed. The extra sheets that Larry had requested were neatly folded on the bed, and he was able to use those to block any potential snake access under the door, which was the only obvious way that they might get into the room.

In the double room, Mr & Mrs Arbuckle undertook the difficult task of preparing for bed whilst trying not to look at each other. Mrs Arbuckle averted her gaze, looking for any potential means of serpent ingress but finding none. Both were relieved to be able to slip out to the communal bathroom down the hall rather than having to carry out their ablutions in the room next door…

The only thing remaining was to decide on the sleeping arrangements. The double bed looked comfortable, the wooden chair next to the window significantly less so…

Unless Alex attempts any ‘snake access’ of his own, then the night will pass uneventfully (assuming that no-one is going sneaking around?)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Until this very moment I assumed it meant two beds, though I now realize that makes little sense for a married couple. But I feel like Alex would think this too (and it's funnier) so I'll roll with it.

Seeing the one bed, Alex feels somewhat scandalized, assuming they both would have one. "I can understand you may feel uncomfortable sleeping together," he admits, cheeks reddening. "I can take the chair," he glances at it, somewhat dismayed.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

After hours of playing the coy, lovelorn, lovesick bride, Ivy's brittle, waspish side chooses this moment to erupt.

"Oh fiddlesticks!" she yells, before remembering that they might be overheard and lowering her voice to an angry hiss. "Am I really that hideous? The terrible things we've been through and you're terrified of sharing the same bed?"

She calms down ever-so slightly and sighs.

"Look, let's sort this out - whatever 'this' is. What are we, hm? Colleagues? Friends? Lovers? You know I'm very fond of you and, I think, vice-versa. But what -are- we?"

Depending on Alex's reply, if he doesn't come clean, can I make an INT or Psychology roll to discern the real truth behind his reluctance?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex jumps at Ivy's outburst. Then as she continues he looks more and more miserable.

"It's not that at all, you're a lovely woman. Witty and intelligent, and able to hold your own during a crisis that would have left many men sobbing. And quite pretty as well." He runs a hand through his hair.

"The fault lies with me, I am afraid. I am incredibly fond of you, Ivy. But I am not the marrying type, I'm sorry to say. My... persuasions lay elsewhere. I do not believe I could ever truly care for you as you deserve." He's never admitted this to anyone, and feels somewhat sick.

"As far as the bed situation, I just imagined it to be awfully scandalous. We're not really married, after all." Perhaps ironically, Alexander is rather straight laced.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

That reminds me of the conversation I had with my brother and my mother about my Uncle Andy. The fact he was gay was an open secret but it had obviously passed my brother by, as he asked why Andy had never married (this was pre-gay marriage being made legal).

My mother was being coy about why he hadn’t married (different times!) but my brother persisted until I said “He’s not the marrying kind!” and the penny finally dropped… …
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

William gets ready for bed and then gets into one of the twin beds. "Good night, Mr. Johnson," he says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Can I have a Luck roll, please?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[38] = 38
INT 55 1d100: [ 38 ] = 38

The penny drops...

"Oh!" Ivy exclaims, somewhat flustered yet, in a way, relieved.

"Well, that explains a lot... This doesn't change our friendship Alex. I'm no sheltered debutante - I know such persuasions exist. In fact my Uncle Monty was well known for, shall we say, his differences."

She pats the bed.

"Come now - this is far more comfortable than the chair and we both need a good night's sleep. Neither of us has anything to fear of the other - except for perhaps my snoring."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Pah, the one roll I really wanted to make. Things were going so well! :x

Alex's body, tight with tension, relaxes.

"I am very glad to hear that, Ivy. You remain the most important person in my life and I care for you a great deal. If I could have been persuaded with anyone, it would have been you.." He smiles bashfully.

He clears his throat and nods, relieved at her practicality. "Yes, I suppose we've been through enough together that sharing a bed is justified." He gets in the other side, suddenly feeling very tired.

"Goodnight, Ivy." His hand grazes hers for a moment and pats it fondly.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Yeah, good night to you, too. I think... I think I may stay up for a bit longer." Larry distractedly replies, unpacking his firearms and placing them within easy reach of his bedside. He was sure he wouldn't have to use them... Well, that was a lie. He wasn't sure at all, and he absolutely could not sleep without knowing he had a gun in easy reach.

With his tools laid out, Larry readies himself for bed, gets under his blanket, and closes his eyes to sleep. He probably dreams of snakes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 8.30am
King Hotel, 200 Convention Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Larry did indeed dream of snakes but not to the point that it disturbed his sleep, while Theodore slumbered peacefully in the other bed.

In the double room, any earlier tensions now banished, Mr & Mrs Arbuckle spoke briefly before sleep claimed them both too.

The morning was overcast, though humid with the temperature in the high 60s even as they finished breakfast and made their plans for the day.

Where are you heading first?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's head to the shanty town and look for Oscar first," Wililam tells Lawrence.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex wakes in good spirits, though said spirits are somewhat tempered when he recalls where they are.

"I confess I'm not certain what our next move should be," he admits to Ivy. "The others are seeking out their friend, but I'd feel a bit useless just waiting around. Are there any leads you think it would be prudent to investigate while we wait for them?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“We should at least look like we’re on vacation,” replies ‘Mrs. Arbuckle’.

“Take a stroll around the centre of town so that we can find a library. Then we can try a little research - local snake legends and such.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Sounds good, Mrs. Arbuckle," Alex responds with a grin. "After all, what married couple doesn't want to spend time at the library? I can think of no activity more romantic."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

]Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.45am
Shantytown, River Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Larry and Theodore had followed River Road alongside the Mississippi and it wasn’t long before they came across the beginning of the shantytown. Gaunt and tired men, women and even children watched them warily as they approached from their hodgepodge of temporary homes, some tents but mainly rough shacks with wooden walls and tin roofs.

Some children were playing by a waterpump and their gay laughter filled the air until one of them noticed Larry and Theodore approaching and she nudged the others into silence…

OOC:   Please use the spoiler buttons when you post your updates.  

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.30am
King Hotel, 200 Convention Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

”A public library?” said the receptionist when they stopped at the desk to ask for directions. ”Well, that sounds like a fine idea but I’m afraid we don’t have anything like that in Baton Rouge.”

OOC:   Please use the spoiler buttons when you post your updates.  
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"I think we're what you may call 'sore thumbs' around here..." Larry mutters, looking around suspiciously. He'd heard that really poor places like this were very close-knit, but Lawrence wondered if any of these people would actually be willing to talk to a pair of outsiders, especially ones with a vested interest in finding someone. You never know until you try.
"Excuse me!" Lawrence calls out to the kids, doing his best impression of a person who isn't on the fraying edge of sanity. "Do you know where we could find an Oscar? Used to drive a cab?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's a friend of ours who gave us a ride last year," says William. He describes Oscar's appearance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That's a pity. Do you have any universities around here?" Alex asks, reasoning he might be able to talk them into one of their libraries.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"My husband and I are avid folklorists," Ivy explains to the no-doubt bewildered receptionist. "We do so enjoy learning histories and hearing old tales about the places we visit - quirky customs and so-forth."

Return to “Servants of the Lake”