Page 1 of 1

Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 pm
by Philulhu
Monday February 9th, 1931 5.30pm
Baton Rouge Train Station, 100 South River Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Their journey south had been uneventful but everyone had become more pensive the further they had travelled.

For Lawrence and William, there were memories of events just eleven months before, events that had lead to the death of their friend, James Fraser. For Alex and Ivy, the question of sleeping arrangements was the thing that hung over their heads. They were posing as husband and wife, after all…

Eventually, the town of Baton Rouge came into view as they rolled along the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad, with the spires of churches and the large white neo-gothic castle that was the state capitol building towering over the rest of the buildings. As they got closer and the train bore left to run alongside the Mississippi and into the station, they could see rough shacks of the homeless and destitute, victims of the Great Depression that stalked the land.

The porter assisted them with their luggage and guided them to the front of the station where a queue of people waited for a taxi to take them to their destination.

Do you know where you’re going?

Re: Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:19 pm
by jp1885

Taking her place in the queue next to Alex, Ivy takes a deep breath and then reaches for his hand.

"I supposed we had better look the part," she whispers, cursing herself for feeling so awkward.

No idea! Ivy is content to follow William's lead.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:38 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex takes Amy's hand and gives it an encouraging squeeze. They may not be in the belly of the beast yet, but they were about to enter its mouth, surely.

He makes sure the both of them are not seen with Lawrence or William now-- any plans they made would have been done on the train. He's unsure how deep the cult's tendrils reach and wishes to avoid getting their attention.

OOC:   Alex would prefer we have made our plans on the train and avoid each other now unless absolutely necessarily.First plan would likely be checking into a hotel, preferably close by to our friends.  

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:42 pm
by Bullfrog
"I'm not a smart man, William, but you are. Once we get some place to sleep, I think we should comb the libraries for any kind of books about our snake-worshipping friends; not knowing what was going on is why things went so bad last time." Lawrence quietly suggests, suspiciously looking around at every stranger in his line of sight. How could he know who to trust in this unfamiliar place? Even now, could the Father of Serpents himself be watching his escaped sacrifices from on high?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good idea," says William. "I think we should also talk to Oscar before we see the Sheriff, if we can find him. If it's a trap, he'll tip us off." He checks the taxi stand to see if any of the cabbies happens to be Oscar. If not, he reasons they can ask the cabbie who does give them a ride if he knows Oscar.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:45 am
by Philulhu
The scarcity of taxis meant that some people were sharing so it wasn’t a problem for the four of them to take the same taxi to find a hotel. The driver recommended the King Hotel, a modern three-storey building about ten minutes away.

As they drove, William asked about Oscar. ”Oscar? Yeah, I know the guy!” drawled the driver. “I heard he’s down on his luck. There ain’t so much money going around, what with the depression and all, and his car’s off the road so he ain’t earning nothing. Last I heard, he was living in that shanty town, down by the river.”

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:36 pm
by jp1885

Ivy tuts, deciding to play the tourist.

"Oh, I don't think we'll be wandering around shanty towns will we darling?" she says, forcing herself to look into Alex's eyes and hoping she doesn't blush too much.

"Driver, where would you recommend we go and where is best to avoid during our visit?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:25 pm
by Silver Priest
"Oh course not, dear," Alex responds in turn, remarkably out of practice.

"Say, This King's Hotel seems nice. Only the best for my girl, after all. I do think the two of us will be heading there." He turns to his companions. "Sounds like you two gents may want to go and visit your friend. Maybe he'll be able to tell you what's been going on here and see what's worth seeing?"

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think we should stay at the King Hotel too," says William. "Then we'll go find Oscar and see if we can help him. Can you please give us directions on how to get to the shanty town from the hotel?"

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:28 pm
by Philulhu
”Head north on River Road and you’ll find it on your left hand side,” said the driver. “Don’t go down at night though, don’t reckon it’s safe for decent folks after dark.”

He glanced at Ivy in his rear view mirror. ”Places to visit, ma’am? Baton Rouge ain’t exactly a tourist town and I shouldn’t think shootin’ gators in the swamps is your thing. I suggest you ask the concierge at the hotel and see if he can give you some ideas.”

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:20 pm
by jp1885

“And to the second part of my question?” Ivy snaps.

“Where to avoid? Should we get ourselves lost of course - I am of a very nervous disposition,” she adds, attempting to mollify her tone.

Snake cultists are more likely to congregate in shunned locations, she reasons.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:05 pm
by Bullfrog
"I'm not sure what her problem is, but one of the reasons I came here was to shoot alligators in the swamp. It's absolutely my thing." Lawrence states. "You know where a guy like me could get a gun strong enough for a gator?"

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William, "we'll wait until morning to go there."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:02 pm
by Philulhu
The driver looked at Ivy for a long moment. ”Stick to the centre of town, ma’am. People are friendly enough, if you’re polite to ‘em.” The rebuke was obvious.

His gaze switched to Lawrence. “You want Latil’s,” he said. Jimmy Latil runs the store on Main Street. His brother runs their other store but it’s a bit further out. Tell him that Jack Clancy sent you.”

The driver leaned over and tapped the indicator, which caused the indicator arm to drop and signal they were turning left before they pulled up in front of the King Hotel.

”Here you go, folks. That’ll be 50 cents,” said the driver.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:56 pm
by Silver Priest
Knowing how much of an acquired taste Ivy can be, Alex pays the fee and gives the man an extra dollar on top as a tip. "Thank you for the information," he says.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:19 pm
by jp1885

“I thought I was being perfectly polite…” mutters Ivy, after alighting from the taxi.

Catching herself before she storms off in a huff, she takes Alex’s arm.

“Let us hope this hotel lives up to its name, hm?” she says, scanning the joint with a critical eye.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

William takes his luggage and climbs out of the cab. "Thanks again," he says.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:09 am
by Philulhu
Monday February 9th, 1931 6.00pm
King Hotel, 200 Convention Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The hotel concierge arranged trollies for their luggage and lead them to the reception desk where an older man with thinning, pomaded hair, welcomed them to the hotel.

Addressing Lawrence and William first, he said, ”Will it be two single rooms? Or I have a twin room if you prefer?”

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Would you like to share a room?" William asks Lawrence, thinking it will be safer if they share the same room. "I'll pay for it."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:06 pm
by Philulhu
The receptionist glanced over to Alex and Ivy while he waited for Lawrence to reply.

If he registered any surprise at their apparent age difference, it didn’t show on his face. ”A double room, Sir? Ma’am?”

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:38 pm
by jp1885

“Yes, naturally,” replies Ivy, a little too quickly.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:46 pm
by Silver Priest
"Yes," Alex says. He'd been prepared to sleep on the floor or a couch, so another bed would be nice.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:06 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence shakes himself out if his dead-eyed thousand-yard stare after a few seconds of awkward silence.
"Yeah, I could share a room." Lawrence offhandedly answers, before affixing his eyes on the receptionist- staring not at him, but through him. "Excuse me, sir, but does this establishment happen to supply any extra linens or anything like that? I like to have an extra top layer when I sleep."
Rest assured, there would be no venomous snakes coming through the door sill tonight. Shoving a blanket under the door seemed like a pretty damned brilliant idea to Lawrence, at least.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Of course, sir,” said the receptionist to Lawrence, obviously used to guests and their demands.

He picked up two forms from under the desk and slid them over the counter. ”If you could just complete the forms with your details and I’ll sort out your keys,” he said.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:35 am
by Silver Priest
Alex fills his and Ivy's out, giving fake last names just in case.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

William fills out his form with Lawrence, also using pseudonyms.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 am
by Philulhu
The receptionist took their forms and gave them the keys to their rooms, ringing the bell on the counter to summon a bellhop to carry their luggage.

”Dinner is served at 7.00pm,” he informed them as the bellhop lead them away.

You have less than an hour before dinner so I presume you wish to unpack and freshen up. Are you planning to do anything after dinner?

Also, what names are you using to book into the hotel?

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:46 pm
by jp1885

Playing the role of the dutiful wife, Ivy looks over Alex’s shoulder and commits whatever name he writes down to memory.

I’ll go with whatever name SP uses.
Ivy is happy to freshen up (keeping an eye out for snakes slithering out of plugholes etc.)

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:04 pm
by Silver Priest
Forms filled out, Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Arbuckle head to their room. Along the way, Alex takes Lawrence and William aside. "From now on, I'd prefer we not be around one another in public until we know more of what's going on. If you wish to discuss anything with us, it should be in one of our rooms, where we have more privacy. But I would not recommend eating together."

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:18 pm
by Bullfrog
Lawrence, having always lacked a certain creative spark, puts his name down as Larry Johnson. Not a great pseudonym, but it should work for apathetic hotel staff.
"I don't plan on it, seeing as how you two are strangers and all. Now please, sir, stop talking to me." Lawrence winks, before heading off to his room.

Lawrence will probably head to find a library after dinner, provided one is open. Preferably with William accompanying, since Lawrence isn't much of a book-finder.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:04 am
by Philulhu
The evening meal was very pleasant, although ‘Larry’ would dearly have enjoyed a beer to was it down. By the time they finished eating, it was almost 8.00pm.

There is a public library in town but the ongoing effects of the Great Depression mean that opening hours have been slashed and it won’t be open again until the morning. Is there anything else you wish to do that evening?

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:56 am
by Bullfrog
I don't suppose that gun store's open, either? Never know when you might need an elephant gun to deal with those pesky snakes. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

William has adopted the name Theodore Logan for his stay at the hotel. "Maybe we should pack it in early tonight so we can get an early start in the morning," he says. "I think we should look for Oscar first thing in the morning, after breakfast. Then we can decide what to do next based on what he tells us."

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:19 am
by Philulhu
Nope, no gun store either. The 24-hour culture is decades away in the future.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 pm
by jp1885

After eating her meal largely in awkward silence, Ivy dabs her mouth daintily with a serviette.

"Well dearest, shall we retire?" she asks Alex.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:43 pm
by Philulhu
Hubba, hubba! 🤣

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:27 am
by Silver Priest
Alex is unused to Ivy being so quiet, and does not make up the slack when it comes to conversations.

"Yes," he says, as she suggests they head to bed. "Who knows what tomorrow will hold for us. I'm sure we can find something to occupy our time; Baton Rogue is an important city, after all."

He is glad they opted for the double bed.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:33 am
by Bullfrog
William Preston and Theodore Logan... Those names certainly make an interesting pair.

"Seems like the best choice to me. Nothing we want is open at this hour." Lawrence comments as he gets up and pushes his chair back under the dining table, waiting for William to do the same so they could depart. "It's strange being down south again. It hasn't been long since our last trip, not even a year, but it feels like it's been years. I guess you and I have a little different view of how time works."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

William also rises and pushes in his chair. "That is certainly true," he says.

Thank you. I would even say excellent.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:53 am
by jp1885

A double bed being a bed that accommodates two people? As opposed to a twin room, in which there are two single beds?

“Indeed. A good night’s sleep will do us the world of good, although we should check the room for points of possible snake ingress first.”

Prior to performing her ablutions, Ivy will do just that.

[5] = 5
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 5 ] = 5

And if there’s anything amiss, she spots it easily.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:25 pm
by Philulhu
We’ve been playing for more than four years and I never picked up on it… 🙄

Returning to their respective rooms, they prepared for bed. The extra sheets that Larry had requested were neatly folded on the bed, and he was able to use those to block any potential snake access under the door, which was the only obvious way that they might get into the room.

In the double room, Mr & Mrs Arbuckle undertook the difficult task of preparing for bed whilst trying not to look at each other. Mrs Arbuckle averted her gaze, looking for any potential means of serpent ingress but finding none. Both were relieved to be able to slip out to the communal bathroom down the hall rather than having to carry out their ablutions in the room next door…

The only thing remaining was to decide on the sleeping arrangements. The double bed looked comfortable, the wooden chair next to the window significantly less so…

Unless Alex attempts any ‘snake access’ of his own, then the night will pass uneventfully (assuming that no-one is going sneaking around?)

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:42 pm
by Silver Priest

Until this very moment I assumed it meant two beds, though I now realize that makes little sense for a married couple. But I feel like Alex would think this too (and it's funnier) so I'll roll with it.

Seeing the one bed, Alex feels somewhat scandalized, assuming they both would have one. "I can understand you may feel uncomfortable sleeping together," he admits, cheeks reddening. "I can take the chair," he glances at it, somewhat dismayed.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:30 pm
by jp1885

After hours of playing the coy, lovelorn, lovesick bride, Ivy's brittle, waspish side chooses this moment to erupt.

"Oh fiddlesticks!" she yells, before remembering that they might be overheard and lowering her voice to an angry hiss. "Am I really that hideous? The terrible things we've been through and you're terrified of sharing the same bed?"

She calms down ever-so slightly and sighs.

"Look, let's sort this out - whatever 'this' is. What are we, hm? Colleagues? Friends? Lovers? You know I'm very fond of you and, I think, vice-versa. But what -are- we?"

Depending on Alex's reply, if he doesn't come clean, can I make an INT or Psychology roll to discern the real truth behind his reluctance?

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:52 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex jumps at Ivy's outburst. Then as she continues he looks more and more miserable.

"It's not that at all, you're a lovely woman. Witty and intelligent, and able to hold your own during a crisis that would have left many men sobbing. And quite pretty as well." He runs a hand through his hair.

"The fault lies with me, I am afraid. I am incredibly fond of you, Ivy. But I am not the marrying type, I'm sorry to say. My... persuasions lay elsewhere. I do not believe I could ever truly care for you as you deserve." He's never admitted this to anyone, and feels somewhat sick.

"As far as the bed situation, I just imagined it to be awfully scandalous. We're not really married, after all." Perhaps ironically, Alexander is rather straight laced.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 pm
by Philulhu
That reminds me of the conversation I had with my brother and my mother about my Uncle Andy. The fact he was gay was an open secret but it had obviously passed my brother by, as he asked why Andy had never married (this was pre-gay marriage being made legal).

My mother was being coy about why he hadn’t married (different times!) but my brother persisted until I said “He’s not the marrying kind!” and the penny finally dropped… …

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

William gets ready for bed and then gets into one of the twin beds. "Good night, Mr. Johnson," he says.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:06 am
by Philulhu
Can I have a Luck roll, please?

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:02 pm
by jp1885

[38] = 38
INT 55 1d100: [ 38 ] = 38

The penny drops...

"Oh!" Ivy exclaims, somewhat flustered yet, in a way, relieved.

"Well, that explains a lot... This doesn't change our friendship Alex. I'm no sheltered debutante - I know such persuasions exist. In fact my Uncle Monty was well known for, shall we say, his differences."

She pats the bed.

"Come now - this is far more comfortable than the chair and we both need a good night's sleep. Neither of us has anything to fear of the other - except for perhaps my snoring."

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Pah, the one roll I really wanted to make. Things were going so well! :x

Alex's body, tight with tension, relaxes.

"I am very glad to hear that, Ivy. You remain the most important person in my life and I care for you a great deal. If I could have been persuaded with anyone, it would have been you.." He smiles bashfully.

He clears his throat and nods, relieved at her practicality. "Yes, I suppose we've been through enough together that sharing a bed is justified." He gets in the other side, suddenly feeling very tired.

"Goodnight, Ivy." His hand grazes hers for a moment and pats it fondly.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:58 pm
by Bullfrog
"Yeah, good night to you, too. I think... I think I may stay up for a bit longer." Larry distractedly replies, unpacking his firearms and placing them within easy reach of his bedside. He was sure he wouldn't have to use them... Well, that was a lie. He wasn't sure at all, and he absolutely could not sleep without knowing he had a gun in easy reach.

With his tools laid out, Larry readies himself for bed, gets under his blanket, and closes his eyes to sleep. He probably dreams of snakes.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:03 am
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 8.30am

Larry did indeed dream of snakes but not to the point that it disturbed his sleep, while Theodore slumbered peacefully in the other bed.

In the double room, any earlier tensions now banished, Mr & Mrs Arbuckle spoke briefly before sleep claimed them both too.

The morning was overcast, though humid with the temperature in the high 60s even as they finished breakfast and made their plans for the day.

Where are you heading first?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's head to the shanty town and look for Oscar first," Wililam tells Lawrence.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:28 am
by Silver Priest
Alex wakes in good spirits, though said spirits are somewhat tempered when he recalls where they are.

"I confess I'm not certain what our next move should be," he admits to Ivy. "The others are seeking out their friend, but I'd feel a bit useless just waiting around. Are there any leads you think it would be prudent to investigate while we wait for them?"

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm
by jp1885

“We should at least look like we’re on vacation,” replies ‘Mrs. Arbuckle’.

“Take a stroll around the centre of town so that we can find a library. Then we can try a little research - local snake legends and such.”

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:15 pm
by Silver Priest
"Sounds good, Mrs. Arbuckle," Alex responds with a grin. "After all, what married couple doesn't want to spend time at the library? I can think of no activity more romantic."

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:04 am
by Philulhu
]Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.45am
Shantytown, River Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Larry and Theodore had followed River Road alongside the Mississippi and it wasn’t long before they came across the beginning of the shantytown. Gaunt and tired men, women and even children watched them warily as they approached from their hodgepodge of temporary homes, some tents but mainly rough shacks with wooden walls and tin roofs.

Some children were playing by a waterpump and their gay laughter filled the air until one of them noticed Larry and Theodore approaching and she nudged the others into silence…

OOC:   Please use the spoiler buttons when you post your updates.  

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.30am

”A public library?” said the receptionist when they stopped at the desk to ask for directions. ”Well, that sounds like a fine idea but I’m afraid we don’t have anything like that in Baton Rouge.”

OOC:   Please use the spoiler buttons when you post your updates.  

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:50 am
by Bullfrog
"I think we're what you may call 'sore thumbs' around here..." Larry mutters, looking around suspiciously. He'd heard that really poor places like this were very close-knit, but Lawrence wondered if any of these people would actually be willing to talk to a pair of outsiders, especially ones with a vested interest in finding someone. You never know until you try.
"Excuse me!" Lawrence calls out to the kids, doing his best impression of a person who isn't on the fraying edge of sanity. "Do you know where we could find an Oscar? Used to drive a cab?"

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's a friend of ours who gave us a ride last year," says William. He describes Oscar's appearance.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:45 pm
by Silver Priest

"That's a pity. Do you have any universities around here?" Alex asks, reasoning he might be able to talk them into one of their libraries.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:58 pm
by jp1885

"My husband and I are avid folklorists," Ivy explains to the no-doubt bewildered receptionist. "We do so enjoy learning histories and hearing old tales about the places we visit - quirky customs and so-forth."

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:34 pm
by Philulhu
The kids studied Larry and Theodore then pointed further down the road where a man stood polishing a gleaming Oldsmobile, old but still in excellent condition.

The man looked up and squinted in their direction, then gave a tentative smile. Mr William, Mr Lawrence. It’s good to see you.”

”The Louisiana State University?” suggested the receptionist. ”That is probably your most likely place to start.Would you like me to call you a cab?”

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:56 am
by Silver Priest

"Yes, please." Alex says.They'd have to think of a good cover story, but hopefully they could gain access to the records there.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good to see you too, Oscar," says William, holding out his hand for a shake. "I wish it were under better circumstances. Is there anything I can do to help you get back on your feet? Thank you for sending me the letter with the clipping. I spoke to the Sheriff here on the telephone, and he wanted me to come down here and show him the place where we were held captive and make a statement, but I'm a little suspicious after our run-in with the Sheriff in Terrebonne Parish."

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:57 pm
by jp1885

While Alex organises the taxi, Ivy casts her gaze across the lobby, looking for tourist leaflets, maps and such.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:34 am
by Bullfrog
"Why did you send that clipping, anyways? If I was you, I'd want nothing to do with me." Lawrence questions, smiling like a jack-o-lantern left out for a few days after halloween; he definitely looked a lot more haggard than the last time Oscar saw him. He moves in closer, lowering his voice. "You know we have dangerous enemies. They aren't afraid of killing."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:13 am
by Philulhu
“He wus a fren’ o’ yours, weren’t he?” Oscar replied. He looked at Lawrence carefully, getting a definite vibe that something wasn’t right with him.

“Ah thought you’d wanna know that he’d turned up.” He glanced at William. “Have ah done something wrong?”

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 9.50am
Louisiana State University, Highland Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The taxi arrived promptly to take Alex and Ivy to the University, and it was only a short journey south along the Mississippi to the new university campus, with its buildings in Italian Renaissance style.

The taxi driver dropped them off in front of the main building where inside they found a younger man sitting behind an ornate reception desk. Pushing his sandy-coloured hair out of his eyes, he smiled and said, ”Good morning, folks. How can I help you today?”

Ivy can get a map from the hotel that shows the town, places of interest, etc.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:02 am
by Silver Priest

"Good morning to you." Alex smiles." Could you please direct us to your school's library?"

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, you did the right thing," says William. "He's just been through a lot. He isn't mad at you personally. It's just his way of saying you put yourself at risk by letting us know. I do appreciate that you did it, though."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:10 pm
by jp1885

While Alex speaks to the chap behind the desk, Ivy takes a few moments to study the map she’s obtained for other possible places to carry out research.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 am
by Bullfrog
"It's been a hell of a year. With how you helped us, it would be wrong to not give you a warning." Lawrence nervously admits, looking more like he's experienced a hell of a decade. His eyes dart around like billiard balls, following every shadow and movement; how could he ever feel safe again, knowing even a shred the monstrous truth that underpinned the world? His only refuge for the past few months had been his bedroom, its walls decorated with a growing patchwork of newspaper clippings...
"I think we should talk somewhere more private. Have you got your own house?"

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
“House?” Oscar glanced back at the wooden shack with a tin roof that stood nearby. “You’re welcome t’ come inside but it ain’t much to write home about. Ah’ve done the best wi’ what ah got, but no one round here got much anyways.”

He gave the car one last rub with the polishing cloth then lead the way inside. The shack was close-boarded timber, with everything in one room, although the sleeping area had a curtain around it for privacy. A small stove, handmade from scrounged tin cans, stood in one corner, with its tin can chimney snaking up through the roof. Apart from a jacket hanging on the back of the door and a few eating utensils, it didn’t look like Oscar had any other possessions.

“Until I get some gas an’ get ma car goin’ again, this is it. Now what did yous gennelmen wanna talk about?”

The young man frowned slightly and said, ”The libraries are for the university’s students. They’re not public access, I’m afraid.”

The map is one of those paid for by the advertisers so the map is in the centre with adverts around the edges. The adverts cover soaps, cars, local oil companies, Hayward’s Military Sauce, Chesterton’s cigarettes and, of course, Coca Cola. Studying the map, there doesn’t seem to be much of interest in Baton Rouge except for the university and the town hall.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can help with that," says William. "I'll get you some gas so you can start driving again. We wanted to ask you about Sheriff Dupont, what you might know about him and whether he's trustworthy. You'd know more about local politics than we would, and maybe when you were driving your cab, some of your passengers talked about him."

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm
by jp1885

Playing the dutiful wife, Ivy remains behind Alex, ready to back up his reply with a baleful stare at the young fellow before them.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:13 am
by Silver Priest

"I understand why that is. But my wife and I have come a long way, and we're really quite interested in local folklore. Could we perhaps just look around for a few hours? Of course, we'd be willing to compensate you for your time, and we don't mind someone being in the room with us; we know you have to protect your collection." Alex slides a fiver over across the desk, hoping it will appeal to the student on a likely modest income.

1d100

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:43 am
by Bullfrog
"Having four walls and a roof is good enough for me." Lawrence comments, looking for room in the shack's relatively cramped space. Eventually, he decides to just lean against a wall. "Did you ever hear any interesting news when right after we left? We made a... Bit of a stir on the way out."

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 am
by jp1885

Sensing that Alex is floundering somewhat, Ivy glares at the youth.

“We have come a very long way to visit your university young man, only to be turned out like common vagrants!! This is not acceptable! We will speak to someone in authority if you please.”

[43] = 43
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 43 ] = 43

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Oscar laughed, somewhat bitterly. “It’s bin a while since I did much drivin’,” he said. “So I will take you up on yer offer of gas.”

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he considered ‘Theodore’s’ question. “The police ain’t got much time for the likes of us, but from what ah hear, DuPont’s fairer than most of ‘em.”

He turned to ‘Larry’. “I remember you gettin’ on that train but yous were back again but I don’ remember no commotion.”

The young man pointedly ignored Alex’s attempt to bribe his way in but was very taken aback at being addressed so abruptly by Ivy. ”I’ll… I’ll see if someone will talk to you,” he spluttered, backing away from the desk and making his way to a nearby office.

He returned shortly with a tall, stern-looking man with neatly oiled hair and a carefully trimmed moustache. He peered at them over his half-moon glasses and said, ”What’s this about? You’ve been told this isn’t a public library so I’m not sure why you’re still here!”

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:44 am
by Silver Priest

Seeing Ivy had had more success getting anywhere here, Alex is content to let her take the lead for now.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that's good to hear," says William. "I had wondered if it was a trap."

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:28 pm
by jp1885

“Well that’s the problem isn’t it?” Ivy snaps.

“A lamentable lack of public services in this town! To think that visitors such as ourselves; intelligent, keen-minded and curious citizens; must be forced to intrude upon you in order to further our research is appalling!”

She pauses, softening her tone but maintaining her icy stare.

“We simply wish to indulge in our love of American history and folklore; is that too much to ask?”

“I sympathise with your situation. We are not students here, and yet here we are. If your library cannot accommodate us, perhaps a member of your faculty could oblige? A history professor or a keen student?”

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:35 am
by Philulhu
Oscar frowned. “You mean you thought I’da lured you into a trap? No, sir!” He looked most indignant at the suggestion.

”Why not just go to the public library? That’s what everyone else would do who isn’t a student here!” replied the older man tartly. ”It’s on Goodwood Boulevard, as I’m sure your map will tell you.”

Sorry - a slight faux pas with my research! When I originally looked for libraries in Baton Rouge I found that the first one opened in the 1950s so I started down the ‘no public library’ route. Subsequently, I did a bit more Googling and found a report on the Louisiana Library Commission which said the first one opened in 1925…🙄

Sorry you’ve been sent around the houses! 😬

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 am
by Bullfrog
"He meant the Sheriff, I think; it's happened to us before. The last time we were here, as a matter of fact." Lawrence corrects, not eager to make an enemy of the only local guy him and his friends knew. "But it's hard to know who you can trust these days. Any days, actually, but that's a whole other thing. Did you ever hear anything about a Sheriff Digne?"

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:48 am
by Silver Priest

"Watch how you talk to my wife," Alex warned, feeling real anger towards the man. "We are new and town and were mistaken. There's no need to be so unpleasant. Good day, Sir!" He huffs, turning to leave.
OOC:   No worries. Made for an amusing scene if nothing else. :D  

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Larry's exactly right," says William. "It's the Sheriff I suspected, and that's why I asked you about him. He seemed awfully anxious to get me down here quickly. I was going to drive, but he wanted me to take the train to get here faster."

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:49 am
by jp1885

Ivy ratchets up her glare to ‘stun’ before huffing loudly and turning to leave with Alex.

“Pompous oaf!” she mutters, just loud enough for the fellow to hear.

When they leave the building, she stops to consult her map.

“I can see no library; I should write a letter of complaint to the publisher! There’s Goodwood Boulevard however,” she says, jabbing a finger at the paper. “The town hall might be worth a visit too.”

Thankfully I’m a lot more forgiving than Ivy :D

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:26 pm
by Philulhu
Oscar looked mollified by their explanation. Digne was crooked. He’d ha’ sold his soul to the devil to make a dollar.” He hawked and spat through the open door to show what he thought of the ex-sheriff.

Wiping his mouth on his sleeve, he said ”I don’t really know this new one but he’s makin’ the right noises an’ you don’t hear the stories o’ corruption that followed Digne like a bad smell…”

It was a fifteen minute walk to Goodwood Boulevard where a modern building stood on a corner, with ‘Public Library’ above the door.

Inside, a pinch-faced, middle-aged woman looked up as thry entered. ”Can I help you?” she asked briskly, looking over the tops of her half-moon reading glasses.

Thanks 🙂

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:11 pm
by Silver Priest

Were Alex a meaner fellow, he would have commented on what a surprise it was to see Ivy's sister working here. Instead, he smiles. "Good day ma'am. My wife and I are visiting, as you can tell by our accents," He chuckles. "We're very interested in local customs and folklore. Do you have much of a section on that?"

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William. "I think it will be all right to talk to him and show him the place where we were held. That's our next stop."

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:06 am
by Bullfrog
"You're more right about Sheriff Digne than you will ever know." Larry fixes his gaze on Oscar which, because Larry now averages at about one or two blinks per minute, is somehow more unnerving than when his eyes were bouncing all over the room. "But he got what was coming to him, but if you ask me, probably not enough! But... You know, you get what you get. You've been a help to us, Oscar; if you need anything on that car of yours looked at, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I can still spare some money for gas, of course, but I always liked working on machines."

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:37 am
by Philulhu
Oscar was starting to pick up on ‘Larry’s’ weird vibe.“Ah’m good, thanks. Ah’ve had plenny o’ time t’ teach ma’self how t’ look after it…” He said slowly.

He looked from ‘Larry’ to ‘Theodore’.”If you gennelmen can see yer way t’ gettin’ me some gas, ah’ll be happy t’ run you aroun’,” he said.

”We do have a small section on local folk tales, both European and indigenous,” replied Ivy’s strange twin, whose nameplate identified her as Ms. Dahlia Jones.

”Are you looking for some specific information?”

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sounds good to me," says William. "We'll need rides while we're here. Where's the nearest gas station? Let's get your cab fueled."

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:02 pm
by jp1885

“Local legends, indigenous and mulatto folk practices and religions in the main”

Replies Ivy, clearly approving of the cut of the librarian’s jib.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:00 am
by Philulhu
Oscar smiled.“There’s a garage ona way into town,” he said. He took his suit coat down from a peg on the wall and put it on, smoothing down the fabric and carefully tucking in some stray threads on the frayed cuffs.

”Where would you wanna go first?” he asked.

”If you would like to follow me, I’ll get you started,” replied Dahlia, who led them to a large reading desk, well-positioned to take advantage of the natural light. She went to peruse the stacks, returning shortly with an armful of books. ”The information you want should be in here,”

I think this calls for a Library Use roll…

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:48 am
by Silver Priest

Alex thanks the librarian and gets to work.

1d100

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should visit the Sheriff first," says William. "He'll be expecting us soon, but I wanted to ask you about him first. He'll want us to show him the place we were held in Terrebonne, but he may provide transportation there."

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:43 pm
by jp1885

[48] = 48
Library use 66 1d100: [ 48 ] = 48

Ivy takes a good look through the books.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:49 pm
by Bullfrog
"I'd like to stop by a place called Latil's down on Main Street, first." Lawrence suggests. "I don't feel like going out to the swamp without being properly armed."

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right, let's do that first," says William, "but we shouldn't keep the Sheriff waiting too long."

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:24 am
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 10.30am
J. Latil, Gunsmith, 321 Main St., Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Having got Oscar a few dollars of gas, he drove them over to Latil’s gun store on Main St., where he found a parking spot nearby.

Entering the store, a middle-aged, olive skinned man with neatly pomaded hair greeted them politely. “Good day, gentlemen. How may I help you today?”

Tuesday March 10th, 1931 10.30am
Baton Rouge Public Library, Goodwood Blvd,Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Although Alex was floundering (he told himself his strengths were in interrogating people, not books), Ivy was making better progress. The books detailed the many beliefs of the Native American people, and charted how many of their beliefs were either lost or intertwined with Christian beliefs, once missionaries started to make their way into Indian territory.

The tribes were many, though broadly grouped into some familiar to Ivy and some not so. Chitimacha, Coushatta, Biloxi and Tunica had all lived in the area at one time and the books recorded their decline and move to reservations as the white settlers increasingly move onto their lands and drove them out.

Many smaller tribes were also mentioned, some of which were passing through like the Choctaw and the Natchez, but the Hopi caught Ivy’s eye as the booked detailed the Hopi snake dance, in which they danced with live snakes in their mouths. The Hopi also believed that they lived in kivas - underground chambers - until they ascended into this world.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:30 pm
by Bullfrog
"I was sent here by Jack Clancy. Me and my friend Theodore here came from up north to do a little hunting." Larry announces, eying the guns on display like a giddy child at a candy store. "I'm going after alligators, myself, so I'd like something real high-powered. Put the thing down in one shot, you know, cause you might not get another."

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:51 pm
by jp1885

Ivy points her findings out to Alex.

“I wonder if those ghastly chambers under the Winscott place could be classed as a Kiva? Do you think the Hopi ever had a presence in Baton Rouge?”

She ploughs back into the books to find out.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:16 pm
by Silver Priest

"Something to research, no doubt. I wonder if any of the Hopi still live in the area? It may be worth trying to track one down, or at least an expert of their people. We should be cautious though; we don't know if they're in league with this snake cult."

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "I'm interested in the same," he says.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:16 pm
by Philulhu
“Certainly, sirs. We have a range of hunting rifles to choose from - local bylaws prohibit hunting alligators with shotguns, if you weren’t already aware. Personally, I think that’s just a result of lobbying by the catering trade who got fed up digging out buckshot from the steaks they were selling,” he laughed politely at his own joke.

He looked at the guns displayed on the wall behind him. “You have a choice of .30 lever-action, .45 Martini Henry - good stopping power but a trifle slow or the 30.06. Oh, and will you be requiring your permits as well?”

Continuing their research, they found that the Hopi were mainly located in Arizona but it was believed that a sub-tribe, the Tochine, had settled in Louisiana following a schism with the main tribe. It seemed they had refused any attempts to move them onto a reservation but there was no further information as to what happened to them. Nor was there any information about the cause of the schism between the Hopi and the Tochine.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:11 pm
by Silver Priest

Alex frowns at learning this. "Seems unlikely we'll be able to speak to any Hopi, but the Tochine might still be around. We may have more luck speaking to someone at the university, provided we can convince someone to let us. Hopefully it has a professor who specializes in these Tochine or can point us to someone who knows more. But if you have any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them," he suggests.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we would," says William. "We're from up north, if you couldn't tell by our accents, so we don't have permits here. Speed is important. So is stopping power, but if the first shot misses, I think it's more important to get another one off fast. I'm interested in the .30 lever-action."

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:13 pm
by jp1885

“We could ask the librarian,” Ivy muses. “The university was hardly welcoming, but perhaps she could recommend a historian we could approach privately.”

“Failing that, do you think visiting the town hall would be profitable?”

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:13 pm
by Silver Priest

"It's a worthy lead to pursue," Alex muses. "Though I would prefer a historian or someone versed in the specific tribe if possible."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:19 pm
by Bullfrog
"The lever-action ought to do for me, as well. Martini-Henry's a nice gun, but I wouldn't want to be a sitting duck against something that can tear me apart like wet paper..." Lawrence comments, not quite imagining alligators as he trails off near the end.
"And the permit, too, yes! I'd hate to get in any trouble with the law. Law is what separates us from the animals we hunt, you know."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
“An excellent choice, sirs,” said Latil as he unlocked a gun cabinet and placed two of the weapons on the counter. Next to them, he placed two boxes of ammunition and two gun bags. Finally, he picked up a carbon copy book of licences and slid it over to them.

“The rifle, accessories and permit will come to a total of $35 each. If you could just complete the permit and you can be on your way.”

The rifle stats (in the unlikely event that you will ever need them) are: Range - 50 yards, Shots per Round - 1, Magazine - 6, Damage - 2D6, Malfunction - 98 or above.

Where next?

Ok, are you approaching the librarian again?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

I think we should go to the Sheriff's office next.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:15 pm
by jp1885
Might as well speak to the librarian again while we're here - asking her if she knows any folklorists or local history experts we could talk to.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:57 am
by Silver Priest

Sounds good. Alex lets Ivy take the lead, confident these two no nonsense women share a language which allows them to easily communicate with one another.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:58 pm
by Bullfrog
Seeing the Sheriff is what we're here for, anyways, so he's our next destination.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 11.15am
Baton Rouge Police Department, North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Having finished at Latil’s gunsmiths, Oscar drove Lawrence and William over to the police station. Dropping them off at the kerb, he said, “Assumin’ ah don’ just get moved on, ah’ll find somewhere to park ma car, then wait for yous over dere.” He pointed to a park on the opposite side of the road.

Inside, they were greeted by the desk sergeant, an older man with close-cropped hair but with a luxuriously anachronistic moustache. “What can we do for you gentlemen today?” he asked.

”Did you find everything you were looking for?” asked the librarian as they approached her desk.

Apologies for the delay in posting, I’ve been away visiting friends. And next week, my only night in is Sunday so I might be a bit delayed then as well… :oops:

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, my name is William Preston," says William, using his real name, which the Sheriff already knew (though he couldn't recall ever actually telling him). Besides, it wouldn't do to give him a false name anyway. "I spoke to the Sheriff a few days ago on the telephone, and he asked me to come down and see him. He's expecting me. I brought a friend who's also a witness."

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:53 am
by jp1885

“Yes, indeed we did. You’ve been most helpful,” Ivy replies.

“Although our thirst for knowledge is not yet slaked. Tell me: do you know of a folklorist or local historian whom we could consult?”

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:13 pm
by Silver Priest

"Specifically concerning the local native tribes in this area." Alex adds. "It's a simply fascinating part of the area's history."
OOC:   No worries, take all the time you need.:)  

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:02 am
by Bullfrog
"Lawrence Gilman." Lawrence introduces himself with a brief nod. "We're here to identify a man who was recently found, as well."

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:57 pm
by Philulhu

The sergeant made a note of their names, his moustache twitching as he wrote. Then he said, “I believe Sheriff DuPont is expecting you. Let me show you through,” and he lead the way to a second storey corner office, with windows overlooking the park opposite the the station.

A tall man with brown hair starting to fade to grey at the temples stood frowning as he looked out of the window. He turned as they entered and nodded a greeting as the desk sergeant introduced them. He bade them take a seat as he took his own seat behind his desk. He thanked the sergeant for seeing them upstairs, then said, ”Thank you again for making the journey down here. Now what can you tell us of events when you were last here?”

The librarian pursed her lips as she considered Ivy’s question. ”If you’re concerned about Indian affairs then the best person to speak to would be an Indian Agent. They’ve not been around for decades but there may be some of them still alive. Let me make a quick telephone call… …”

The librarian returned a few minutes later, with a name and address on a piece of paper. ”You’re in luck, my friend Amy knows of such a person,” and she pushed the piece of paper across the desk. On it, written in neat copperplate, were a name and address which read, Charlie Banyacya, 102 de Jean Charles Blvd., Baton Rouge.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:11 am
by Silver Priest

"Much appreciated, Ma'am."Alex says, thankful they have a lead. "We'll pay him a visit."

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"We came here to find one James Fraser last year," starts William. "He was a friend of Mr. Gilman here, and I'm a friend of Mr. Fraser's father. We tracked him to Terrebonne Parish. He had been kidnapped, and his captors kidnapped us as well, which is when we were reunited with him."

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:28 pm
by jp1885

Ivy also thanks the librarian, complimenting her on her efficiency, before looking up the address on her map.

"Shall we go there next?" she asks Alex when the librarian is out of earshot.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 pm
by Silver Priest

"I was thinking that perhaps we should call first." Alex suggests. "Make sure the gentleman is home. Strangers showing up at his door and demanding answers may put him off."

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:41 pm
by jp1885
"Yes - valid point. Let us call the man first."

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:07 am
by Bullfrog
"It was a bunch of local lunatics that did it, worshipping some blasphemous snake-god. They had a sheriff working for them, last name Digne-" Lawrence nervously elaborates, seemingly very interested in any small, floor-level nooks and crannies in the office. "So we were a bit careful with this trip, I think you'll understand."

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
Sheriff DuPont looked at Lawrence for a long moment before adding to the notes on his jotter. He sighed. ”I’ve heard rumours of what some of these groups get up to, Cajuns and Native Americans, even some crazy ol’ confederate boys who descended from soldiers who still want to fight the Civil War.” He shook his head sadly.

”So how does our mystery man fit in? Livingstone you said his name was, didn’t you?”

A quick check of the library’s telephone directory revealed no number for a Charlie Banyacya, perhaps not surprising given the man must be of some advanced age, as it had been at least thirty years or more since anyone had hired an Indian Agent around these parts (or so the librarian helpfully informed them).

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:43 am
by Silver Priest

Alex sighs. "I suppose we'll just have to show up and hope he feels like talking."

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Georgie Livingstone is the brother of Emily Livingstone, who was James Fraser's sweetheart," explains William. "He came here independently to look for him, and we ran across each other during the search. We were separated from him before we were kidnapped, and they didn't catch him. Once we escaped, we had to flee for our lives, as our captors were pursuing us. We didn't have a chance to try to find him."

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:03 am
by jp1885

"No doubt we can persuade him to talk if we arrive bearing gifts," Ivy replies. "A hamper of some description?" Everyone like food."

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:46 pm
by Bullfrog
"I was the one who had to give the news to Ms. Livingstone and her mother. We're here on their behalf as well as our own." Lawrence notes, somber. The Livingstone household, if he had to guess, had not been and would not be a happy one for quite a while. "Could you tell us any more about the state Mr. Livingstone was found in, Sheriff?"

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm
by Philulhu
Go here: Bearing Gifts

Sheriff DuPont frowned. ”He was found collapsed at the side of the road by some local boys who was out fishing. He’d been beaten - not recently, but you could see the old scars - and then starved for a while. He weren’t much more than skin and bones when we found him. He was rambling on but we couldn’t make much sense outta what he was saying. He’s been in the hospital since. The Docs say he’s getting stronger but his mind… … The Sheriff just shrugged and tapped two fingers on the side of his head.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can we see him?" asks William.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:49 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   The Arbuckles have their own thread so we don’t need the spoilers anymore.  

”By all means,” replied Sheriff DuPont. ”I presume you’ll have no problem with me joining you?”

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have no problem, Sheriff," says William.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 pm
by Philulhu
”Then I guess there’s no time like the present,” replied the Sheriff. ”Do you have a car or can I give you a lift?”

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:58 am
by Bullfrog
"We've got a car, and our own driver, as a matter of fact. We're living the high life here!" Lawrence gives a hollow chuckle as he rises from his chair, amused by the irony that he had somehow acquired his own personal chauffeur during one of the dark, fearful periods that had consumed his life as of late. The awfulness had its rewards, however meager.
"I think William and I should come in to talk with him first, and you could come in if we can get him to pull together a bit more; I believe Georgie would react better to seeing some familiar faces, you see, as short as our time with him was. But I can't really tell you what to do, on account of you being the Sheriff and all."

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think that would be for the best as well," says William.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, the man is under our protection so it would be remiss of my to let you gentlemen go in with him alone, so I think I must insist that I come with you,” said Sheriff DuPont thoughfully. ”But I have no wish to disturb Mr Livingstone so I will stay by the door and remain as unobtrusive as possible. Does that sound like a fair compromise?”

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds fair to me," says William.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:21 pm
by Bullfrog
"I don't have any problem with that." Lawrence replies, wondering how well Georgie would respond to being reminded of that awful night. What had he seen that had utterly shattered his mind?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:55 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 12.15pm
Our Lady of the Lake Sanitarium, Hennessy Blvd, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

William recognised the hospital as they approached. It was the same one he had visited when they were in Baton Rouge the last time.

Oscar parked up and William and Lawrence headed inside to see Sheriff DuPont talking to a doctor by the front desk. Nodding a greeting as they approached, the Sheriff said, ”Doc says there’s no change in your friend’s condition.”

He lead the way down one of the corridors and to a private room. He opened the door to let them in, then stood in the doorway at watched as they approached so they could look at the person lying in the bed. It was unmistakably George Livingstone, albeit thinner and with flecks of grey hair at his temples that hadn’t been previously. A cut above his eye had been sutured but was now healing. There was no acknowledgment of their presence, however, he just stared blankly up at the ceiling.

”Is that him? Is that your friend?” Sheriff DuPont asked quietly.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "Georgie, it's me, William,"he says. William. "Lawrence is here too." He has an idea what's wrong with him.

Psychology roll (67% skill) about Georgie:
d%

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:15 pm
by Bullfrog
"He was looking better the last time we saw him, but he's... Alive, or something like it." Lawrence remarks, uncomfortably reminded of the state he was left in after he looked a god in the eyes and had his sanity stripped away. He was only barely aware that there was a world outside his mind at all for a long time, trapped in fevered visions of serpents drowning, burning, and rotting away into dust; if Lawrence had to guess, Georgie wasn't doing much better. Experimentally, he slowly waves a hand in front of Georgie's eyes to see if he responds at all.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:04 pm
by Philulhu
Was that a flicker of recognition? Perhaps, but it was almost imperceptible. It was clear that George was in some kind of catatonic state.

The door opened behind the Sheriff and a Doctor entered. William realised it was the same one he had seen when he’d been here the last time. The Doctor frowned as he tried to place him. ”I think we’ve met before?” He thought for a moment, then said, ”Last year. You brought in your driver.”

He looked from William to George and back. ”It seems to becoming something of a hobby…”

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"You have a good memory, Doctor," says William, shaking his hand. "I'm William Preston. He made a full recovery thanks to you. Georgie's in good hands."

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
”That’s good of you to say, but we haven’t made much progress.” He crossed over to the bed and checked George’s pulse and breathing.

”I take it you know who this is? Do you know what happened to him?”

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I know him, but not what happened to him," says William. "This is Mr Georgie Livingstone."

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:18 am
by Bullfrog
"I think he's seen something horrible." Lawrence answers, speaking from experience that was painfully personal; he wasn't entirely sure if the field of psychology had any room for insane stories of horrible demon gods, though, so he'd just have to repeat some of the stuff he'd overheard from the doctors in the asylum.
"Maybe he's shell-shocked. Certainly has the stare for it."

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the thousand yard stare, all right," says William. "He's catatonic. It's happened to guys who have been in the war all too often."

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:34 am
by Philulhu
”Judging by his scars, he saw combat in the war,” replied the Doctor. ”The most recent one, though, seem to relate to his current condition.” He eased the cuffs back on the hospital pyjamas that George was wearing to reveal redness and chafing around his wrists. ”Looks like he’s been tied up somewhere. He’s also got scars on his back consistent with being whipped, and even some bite marks? Snake bites, by the look of it. Nothing very recent, so whatever bit him wasn’t fatal.”

“Given all that, it’s not surprising he’s catatonic. It looks like he’s been to hell and back.”

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"The same bunch that kidnapped us last year must have gotten their hands on him," William tells the Sheriff. "It wouldn't surprise me if they took him to the same place."

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:29 pm
by Philulhu
”What place was that?” asked Sheriff DuPont. ”Somewhere near here?”

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:08 am
by Bullfrog
"The basement of an old church out by Point-aux-Chenes. They had cells down there, you know, like a jail..." Lawrence suppresses a shudder, thinking back to the escape him and his associates had made with the help of that wicked old sorcerer.
"We probably weren't the first nor the last people those cells held."

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the place," says William. "It may still be in use."

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:26 am
by Philulhu
”A church? We might have records back at the office” said the Sheriff thoughtfully.

He looked at George and glanced at the Doctor, who shook his head. ”I don’t think this fella’s going to be telling you anything anytime soon.”

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Doctor," says William. "I hope you can help him."

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:55 am
by Bullfrog
"I was stuck like that for a while myself, but I got my senses back after a couple months." Lawrence says, his sunken eyes and generally restless demeanor doing little to reassure Sheriff DuPont and the doctor.
"I could probably help find that church, once we get out there. It's not an easy place to forget, and I've always been able to find my way through the woods pretty well.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:29 am
by Philulhu
Sheriff DuPont had phoned ahead so back at the police station, a map and local guidebooks were waiting for them.

Searching through, it didn’t take long to find it. From the guidebook of Louisiana churches, a white, clapboarded church could be seen shrouded in the trees. Lawrence and William had only seen it in the dark, but there was no mistaking it, the shadows casting a brooding pall across the entrance that made both men shiver.

”Pointe de Chenes?” said Sheriff DuPont grimly. ”Yeah, I know where that is…!”

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have you been there before?" William asks the Sheriff.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
”I’ve been to the area, but not that exact location,” replied DuPont. ”It’s in the boonies and it attracts all sorts of hicks, rednecks and other undesirables. It hasn’t really moved on in decades, if you get my drift?”

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have been there," says William, "so we understand all too well. When we go, we should go armed."

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:09 am
by Bullfrog
"We have our own rifles, so those ought to do. That's assuming there aren't a dozen guys out there waiting for us, though. That place is holy ground for them, and I'd bet they've been keeping all kinds of snakes out there." Lawrence states, his eyes fixated on the picture in the guidebook. "You'd be surprised at how big a rattlesnake can get."

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
DuPont looked at Lawrence, then William, but said nothing.

He crossed to the cabinet on the wall, unlocked it, and took a shotgun from the rack inside. He moved over to the door where he hollered for a sergeant, with whom he had a hurried conversation. ”I’m short of numbers,” he said. ”I’ve got two men not back from escorting a prisoner to Angola and Walt Hains has gone home because his wife’s in labour. Just how dangerous are these people anyhow? You reckon three of us might be enough?”

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Honestly, I'd be much more comfortable if we had more men," says William.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
DuPont frowned. ”Short of deputising folks, this is all I’ve got right now,” he said. ”I need the Sergeant here to keep the station open and as back-up. We’ve got a couple of civilians working here but I can’t leave them on their own. If we haven’t got any more men, then we might have to delay it until another day…”

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe you could deputize our driver, if he's willing," says William. "He's a reliable man."

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:42 pm
by Philulhu
DuPont frowned. Clearly that idea didn’t meet with his approval.

Anyone else spring to mind? Perhaps somebody with Police training…?

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a police detective from Arkham that I know who's in town," says William. "He's staying at our hotel. I'm sure he'd be a good addition to the team."

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:19 am
by Philulhu
”That sounds more promising,” replied DuPont. ”Do you know this guy? Can you vouch for him?”

He glanced at his watch. ”Do you think he’ll be at the hotel now?”

It’s around 2.30pm, for what it’s worth.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll vouch for him," says William. "He had my back when things were tough, and he'd lay down his life for his friends. He may be at the hotel, but he could also be around town. Why don't I telephone the hotel's front desk and see if he's there? If not, I can leave him a message."

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:30 am
by Bullfrog
"The guy's a better man than us two, that's for sure. He's got his head screwed on straight." Lawrence remarks. "I guess you can attend to that call, William. In the meantime, Sheriff, have these lunatics out in the swamp had any other run-ins with the law you know of? I'm sure rumors don't come from nothing, and they didn't seem like law-abiding types when we got to know them."

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Sheriff DuPont pushed his desk telephone over to William. ”You can call from here,” he said.

Looking over to Lawrence, he said, ”I don’t recall any reports but these kinda places keep themselves to themselves. Mind you, if they’ve been getting involved in the sorts of thing you’ve been talking about, well, then I’d expect we’d have some reports…” He leafed through the files and shook his head. ”I’d expect to find something, even a speeding ticket. But this file is empty… … it’s like someone made all of it just go away…”

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

William calls the hotel and asks for the guest in Alex's room.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:34 am
by Bullfrog
"A former employee, maybe, who took some files on the way out. Maybe someone who we've met before." Lawrence suggests, raising an eyebrow. A policeman was a good thing to have in your pocket, when you spent every Sunday killing people in the name of a horrible old snake god.
"Would you happen to know what happened to Sheriff Digne? I think we ought to pay him a visit."

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:14 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday February 10th, 1931 3.00pm

William, Lawrence and Sheriff DuPont met Ivy and Alex in the hotel lobby. After introductions, DuPont said to Alex, ”I understand you’re a detective and you’re willing to help us out? You willing to be deputised?”

DuPont will explain on the journey over that Sheriff Digne moved away and no one knows where he went to. He doesn’t exactly come out and say it but it’s clear he left under a cloud and that things may not have been 100% above board.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:43 pm
by jp1885

Ivy arches an eyebrow, a wry smile on her face as she imagines sheriff's deputy Alex wearing a ten-gallon hat and leading a posse.

Then, her smile falters, replaced with a scowl.

"I trust you are also extending the invitation to me Sheriff?" she asks.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:14 pm
by Silver Priest
"I am. I don't know how much you're aware of, Sheriff, but I've had to fire my gun in self defense recently-- and in defense of those I care about," his gaze shifts briefly to Ivy. "I'm willing to assist in anyway I can."

As Ivy speaks, Alex smiles sheepishly. "I'm aware that's likely not feasible Sheriff, but let me assure you that Ms. Ripley here has put her life at risk as much as the rest of us. She's seen many things and managed to retain a cooler head than many of the men. I would encourage her words to be treated with the same respect of those of my colleagues or myself."

He glances at William and Lawrence, eyebrows raised as if asking how much the lawman knows.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I realize I've told you next to nothing about this man, Sheriff," says William, "and nothing at all about this woman, but they are both dependable. I would trust them with my life. And while you might not want a woman along, she is more formidable than you might think. We're going to need all the help we can get."

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:56 am
by Bullfrog
"I'll let Ms. Ripley vouch for herself. I don't know her as well as my associates here do, but she doesn't strike me as a shootist. I don't mean any offense." Lawrence says, inching away from Ivy. He had no idea how a woman who was several heads shorter than him could be so intimidating, but he chalked it up to the fact that she had an expression just like Mama's when he borrowed Grandfather's shotgun to shoot crows apart on the old man's behalf.
"Just for your safety..."

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:09 pm
by jp1885

Ivy stiffens, her jaw clenching as she works up a response.

“‘Shootist’ I may not be, but I am fortunate to possess a reasonably inquiring mind and, so so am told, a sharp wit.”

She sniffs, turning her icy gaze from Lawrence to a mote of dust on her sleeve.

“Unlike some…” she mutters.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:15 am
by Philulhu
This was a turn of events that Dupont hadn’t anticipated. ”Your friends vouch for you, Ms. Ripley, so you can come along. I don’t rightly know that I can deputise you, though, with you being a woman. Normally, I’d suggest you stay here but you don’t look like the sorta woman who’s going to do as she’s told…”

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

William smiles. The Sheriff may not have met her before, but it's like he knows her already.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:06 am
by jp1885

“Quite so.”

Ivy nods, satisfied that concord has been established.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 4.45pm
Pointes-aux-Chenes, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana

With Sheriff DuPont in the lead, Oscar drove them out to Terrebonne Parish. It took over an hour to get there and as they drew closer to their intended destination, the mood grew sombre. Lawrence and William had their memories of that place but even Alex and Ivy couldn’t help but be affected by their disposition.

Between the trees, William spotted a burned-out house. Was that the Brophy’s home? He couldn’t be sure and no amount of craning his neck would bring it into view. It didn’t help his mood…

Lawrence stared out of the window. In the distance above the trees he saw a church spire. Was that where they had been held? In that case, were they travelling the road where they had said goodbye to James. A scorched patch of grass went past in a flash. Was that it?! Where the truck burned?! He couldn’t be sure - wouldn’t it have grown back by now?! Like William, he searched for familiar sights from their last visit.

Eventually, Sheriff DuPont slowed and indicated a turn to the left. Guiding his car down a short, rough road, they followed him into a clearing with hard-packed gravel upon which two rusting cars sat. Both showed signs of having been on fire and Lawrence and William both remembered those final fear-filled moments before they had managed to set those cars on fire and escape their pursuers.

Oscar brought the car to a stop next to the Sheriff’s car. DuPont glanced over, waiting for the confirmation that they were in the right place and when he saw William’s terse nod, he switched off the engine and climbed out of the car.

The clearing was quiet except for the occasional croaking of toads that lived in the ponds around the clearing. Through the trees, along a well-trodden path, was a white clapboard church, from which the sounds of worship could be heard…

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Watch out for snakes," says William.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:05 am
by Silver Priest
"I believe it may be prudent for you gentleman to walk us through everything that happened." Alex pauses. "Though perhaps we should investigate the church first."

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"True, we may not have time for that now," says William.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:52 am
by Philulhu
Sheriff Dupont opened his trunk and withdrew a Winchester 1987 riot gun, which he loaded from a box of cartridges. He finished loading and racked the first cartridge into the breach.

”Everyone ready?” he asked.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

William gets out of the car and makes sure his pistol and rifle are fully loaded. "Ready," he says.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:48 am
by Bullfrog
"We should get an estimate on the numbers, at least. These people are crazy; it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pile up on us and tear us limb from limb for that damn snake god of theirs if we just came through the front door." Lawrence comments, motioning for silence as he tries to listen in on the sounds of worship coming from the church. He clutches his rifle as if it's the only thing anchoring him to the mortal plane, his knuckles turning white.

Listen 36%: 1d100

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

William can't hear a thing over the chanting.

Listen roll (75% skill) outside the church:
d%

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:16 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
Alex reckons there’s 50-60 people in there, voices raised in praise of the Lord.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:23 am
by Silver Priest
"There's around 50 or 60 people, singing the Lord's praises. Hopefully the Christian one," Alex says.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope so too," says William. "If not, that'll be too many if it comes to a fight."

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:18 pm
by Philulhu
”What do you think? Some sort of trick? You said these guys are dangerous,” said Sheriff Dupont. He looked about carefully but there was no one else around.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 am
by Bullfrog
"It could be both. I remember hearsing that their snake-god was praised under all sorts of names in the past; their Lord has a forked tongue and scales, but they still think he's the Christian one." Lawrence responds, silently finishing the sentence in his head: "And he may well be." As it would happen, his inquiries into the horrible insane gods that secretly controlled the world had given Lawrence a rather fearful view of religion as a whole. How could he honestly say that the God he had once sung the praises of wasn't just another one of them?
"Unless anybody else thinks they can do it better, I'm going to head over there and get a closer look at the building before we do anything really dangerous. With all those people singing, they shouldn't be able to hear us until we start shooting."

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"It could be a trick," says William. "They might have seen the same newspaper article I did and guessed we'd be coming."

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:44 pm
by Philulhu
Dupont nodded. ”Let’s take a closer look,” he said.

As he spoke, the singing came to a sudden end. The sudden silence was then broken by the sound of dozens of people rising to their feet before the doors were thrown open and a black-frocked priest strode out.

He came to an abrupt halt as he saw the armed men. ”What is the meaning of this?!” he asked in a deep, baritone voice.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"The Sheriff is here on official business," says William. "If you cooperate, you don't need to worry about anything."

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:41 am
by Silver Priest
Nodding his head, Alex indicates it's a deal they should take.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:35 pm
by jp1885
  I’m back! Hope you don’t mind if I backtrack a little?  

As the group approaches the church, Ivy tries to make out the exact words of the hymn the congregation are singing.

[27] = 27
Listen 57 1d100:  [ 27 ] = 27

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:30 am
by Bullfrog
"Have you got a basement under this church?" Lawrence asks, speaking so forcefully that it borders on a shout. As he waits for the priest to answer, he looks beyond the man and towards the open doors of the church, doing his best to keep an eye on the congregation.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:53 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy could make out the words to Ezekiel Saw the Wheel, a popular spiritual song of the time.

”A basement? Why yes, we have a basement. But I’m not sure that necessitates armed men at our doors.” Behind him, his predominantly black congregation were starting to emerge, coming to an uneasy stop at the sight of four armed white men in front of them.

”Is this the man who held you?” asked DuPont quietly.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 pm
by jp1885

Realising that confronting a bunch of possibly innocent church-goers with armed white men isn't the best of scenarios, Ivy steps forward - arms outstretched.

"I apologise for appearing before you in such an alarming manner. We have led the Sherriff here to investigate some alarming things that happened here a few months ago. Please forgive us if we're being over-cautious."

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
”How many months, ma’am?” asked the priest, frowning. ”We have not been here very long.”

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:40 am
by Silver Priest
Alex closely watches the man, looking for any signs of suspicion in his demeanor.

1d100

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I've never seen this man before," says William. "Looks like the church is under new management. My apologies, Reverend. It's been eleven months. We were here in March of 1930. From whom did you buy this church?"

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:51 am
by Bullfrog
"Not him." Lawrence shakes his head, looking dispirited that he hasn't found the only man he ever wanted to kill as much as Brophy. It only made sense that those snake-worshippers would run off once their sacrifices escaped; why stick around and wait for the law to crush you underfoot?
"Did you hear about the last congregation that was around here, pastor? Not good men, I'll tell you that much, and they had a real fondness for snakes and locking good, God-fearing men like you or me in basements."
Lawrence means "God-fearing" in a much more literal sense of the phrase for himself.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:07 pm
by jp1885

No doubt the pastor and his parishioners are still bewildered by these odd questions, so Ivy continues to play the role of peacemaker (even if it does not come naturally to her!)

"Perhaps - I'm awfully sorry, I didn't catch your name: most ill-mannered of me. I am Ivy Ripley - if you would allow the Sherriff, my associates and I to inspect the cellar, you could accompany us and we could elaborate our situation more fully?"

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
”I am the Right Reverend Wavel Haynes,” replied the cleric, ”And we took ownership of this place six months ago. The deal was notarised and the papers lodged at city hall. I’m sure the Sheriff could secure a copy of those for you.”

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure he could," says William, "but it would save some time if you just told us now. We'll have questions to ask you about the previous owners, and if we have to go look up who they are, we'll only have to come back later to ask them."

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
”My point is that you seem to doubt that this is our land. I was merely explaining that the papers lodged at city hall would confirm that,” replied Reverend Haynes. ”As a man of God, my word is my bond. Most people would accept that, well…” His eyes moved from his congregation to his white visitors.

”We purchased this land from a Mr Nyatanga, a… err… colourful gentlemen, who said he was selling up to pursue a business proposition further west. I’m not exactly sure where it was he was heading.”

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, Reverend, I have no doubt you own this land," says William. "You misunderstand. I merely wanted confirmation of the previous owner's identity, and I thank you for it. Nyatanga is the man we're looking for, all right."

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:30 am
by Philulhu
”I’m not sure I understand,” said the Reverend. ”If you are seeking a man who is no longer here, then why turn up with weapons ready?”

At that Sheriff DuPont lowered his weapon. ”I’m sorry, Reverend,” he said. He raised his voice and said to the congregation, ”You folks are good to go. Just a little misunderstanding, is all.” On hearing this, the congregation started to drift away, although they cast regular suspicious looks at the interlopers as they retreated.

Once it was just the the four friends, the Sheriff and Reverend Haynes, the Reverend said, ”You mind telling me what this is all about? You scared my parishioners half to death!”

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Last year, Nyatanga and his followers had two of us locked in the basement of this building," says William, "along with a couple of others. The Sheriff of Terrebonne Parish at the time was being forced to work with them. They were going to kill us. We barely escaped with our lives. We came here armed for bear because we didn't know he wasn't still here."

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:30 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, as I said, he’s no longer here so perhaps you could put up your weapons as you’re scaring my parishioners,” said Reverend Haynes firmly.

”Now is there anything I can do for you? I have matters to attend to.”

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, Reverend," says William, putting up his weapon. "We would like to examine the basement, if you don't mind."

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:01 am
by Bullfrog
"It's for our peace of mind as much as yours. I don't think you'd want to have a kidnapper's den under your church, would you?" Lawrence says, reluctantly setting his rifle aside; he keeps nervously glancing at it over the course of the conversation, uncomfortable to be without a weapon in this place that he has revisited innumerable times in his nightmares. House of God? House of a God, more like. If the Reverend learned what once went down here, he'd be the first man to advocate burning the damned place to the ground!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:45 pm
by jp1885

“Let us leave the good Reverend to go about his business,” interjects Ivy, somewhat tartly.

“Clearly he has nothing to do with the church’s previous occupants, so waving guns under his nose and telling him alarming stories will do little to further our investigation.”

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:59 pm
by Silver Priest
Something doesn't sit right with Alex. Haynes reaction to learning the past owner of this property had been a kidnapper and attempted murderer seemed rather underwhelming. He may have just wanted to get the group with guns away from his flock, but the detective thought he'd be a bit more alarmed.
OOC:   did my psychology roll get anything off about the reverend?  

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:41 pm
by Philulhu
The Reverend is trying his best to remain calm and collected so that no harm befalls his flock. Alex gets nothing from him that suggests any duplicitous intent.

Sheriff DuPont shouldered his rifle and indicated that the others should do the same. ”Perhaps if you might show us the basement, Reverend? Then we can put everyone’s mind at rest,” he asked.

Reverend Haynes thought for a moment and nodded. ”Follow me,” he said and turned and led the way through the church. Descending the steps into the cooler air of the underground room, Haynes said, ”As you can see, it is merely a basement we use for storage there is nothing untoward here.”

Looking around, it was indeed the same basement where William, Lawrence, James and Brophy has been held, but of their stay, no sign remained. Now it was just full of storage boxes, old paint cans and tools.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Were there prison cells down here when you bought the place?" asks William.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:50 pm
by jp1885

Unfamiliar with the basement layout (mercifully), Ivy casts her eye across the room. If there used to be cells, surely there must be brackets, screw holes, marks on the floor and wotnot - signs of the basement's previous use?

[4] = 4
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 4 ] = 4

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:31 am
by Philulhu
Reverend Haynes frowned. ”Some of the areas here had iron bars but we removed them when we took over. They were just in the way and besides, this is a religous community so we have no need to fear theft here.”

He pointed to the floor where the remnants of the removed ironmongery could be seen.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:00 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex softens, convinced of the reverend's innocence in the matter.

"Thank you for your time, Reverend. We can confirm that Mr. Nyatanga is an exceptionally dangerous man who was running some sort of heathen cult here involving snakes. But with my friend's escape I believe he feared we've gotten wind of him and took off. I don't believe he will trouble you or your flock, but please remain vigilant."

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:08 pm
by jp1885

“How did this Nyatanga fellow arrange the sale of the church?” Ivy asks the good reverend.

“While I doubted he left a forwarding address, did he use a lawyer?”

She turns to the others.

“If you want to track him down, that’s an avenue worth exploring.”

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a good idea," says William. "I am an attorney, and while I'm not licensed to practice law in Louisiana, I can still help with researching the records."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:56 pm
by Philulhu
Reverend Haynes said, Mr Nyatanga used a solicitor in Baton Rouge. A Mr HN Sherburne. I believe his offices are on St. Louis Street.”

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:20 am
by Bullfrog
"Real diligent, for a damn lunatic, but I guess that's what makes men like Nyatanga so dangerous: acting like sane men so they can do insane things." Lawrence contemplates, looking around the basement where he was once certain he would spend his last hours. It was strange to see the room stripped of all of its makeshift prison cells, but refreshing. If he could just tie off this last loose end, maybe everything really could turn out alright after all.
"Did you ever talk to him much yourself, Reverend? What did he seem like to you?"

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's not the only one with a lawyer," says William. "We've got one too: me. I can counter any legal maneuvers he tries."

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:04 am
by Philulhu
”We dealt with the realtor and his attorney, mainly,” replied Reverend Haynes.

”I only met Mr Nyatanga once, on the day we moved here. He and a few others were moving the last of their goods from the church. He had this big car, overloaded with boxes and crates and some of his men hanging off the sides! He was courteous, but they didn’t seem quite right to me, if I am honest with you my wife was quite disturbed by them, but they caused us no harm. Just bid us farewell and set off on their way.”

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:29 am
by jp1885

“No mention of where they were going I assume?” Ivy asks. “Did they say anything that struck you as unusual?”

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"And who was the realtor?" asks William. "That's someone we'll want to ask some things. The realtor who sold this place may have also bought the one where they were moving."

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:01 am
by Philulhu
”His Realtor was a Mr Joseph Gotlieb. He has offices on Lafayette Street in town. We had regular correspondence so I remember it well,” replied the Reverend.

”The only thing I recall Mr Nyatanga saying was that he had a new business venture to the west and he hoped to strike it lucky. I don’t remember him saying anything else that would be pertinent,” he continued.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:39 am
by Silver Priest
"Thank you, this has been very useful," Alex says. They had two new persons of interest now to look into.With luck, one of them could point them to where Nyatanga had gone, or at least give a rough location.Of course, they couldn't discount the possibility one of the men were involved in the cult, but Alex personally doubts that. They'd likely have left with Nyatanga in that case.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:10 pm
by Philulhu
Where to next? The time is approximately 5.30pm.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:04 pm
by jp1885

Ivy glances at her watch.

"It's getting late and businesses will be closing. If anyone's working longer hours, it'll be the lawyer Sherburne?"

She looks to William for confirmation of legal working hours.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lawyers will work any hours for which they are able to bill," says William, "but I don't want to alert this one to our presence. If he gets wind that we're on Nyatanga's trail, he could tip him off to our interest. There's always the danger that the realtor will too, but it's less likely. He may not even know anything of Nyatanga's crooked ways, but the lawyer will have to at least suspect, being privy to his secrets and having to defend him against any accusations. When we do approach the realtor, we should come armed with a warrant for the records of Nyatanga's real estate transactions, though we may not need it. No such warrant would help us with the lawyer. He'd just cite attorney-client privilege, and that would be the end of it."

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:15 am
by Bullfrog
"I don't understand any of that legal stuff at all, but I know that if I was a murderous lunatic on the run, I'd try to get out of the state at the very least." Lawrence comments. "If he went west, Texas seems like a pretty likely place for him to be, if not further. I know for a fact that they aren't lacking in snakes over that way."

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:49 pm
by Philulhu
”You want me to ask a Judge for a warrant?” asked Sheriff DuPont. ”I know one who might oblige.”

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm
by jp1885

"Yes, please do," says Ivy with a curt nod.

"Better that than alarming any more citizens and waving guns in their faces I think."

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says William. "It might even be beneficial to serve that warrant this evening when the realtor isn't present. That way he probably won't even be aware of it until tomorrow morning."

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 7.30pm
Offices of Gotlieb, Meyer & Strauss, Realtors, 102 Lafayette Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Sheriff DuPont had made a couple of calls when he had got back to the office, while the others took the opportunity to return to the hotel, freshen up and get a quick bite to eat. The concierge had slipped them a note while they ate, informing them that the application was with the judge and they should meet him at the address at 7.30pm.

They arrived to find the Sheriff, a man in a handyman’s coveralls, and a slender, suited man having a heated discussion on the sidewalk. ” This is Mr Gotlieb,” said Sheriff DuPont as they approached. Jim here,” - he indicated the sheepish-looking handyman - ”Told him we were coming.”

“This is most irregular,” complained Gotlieb, a hint of an Austrian accent in his voice. “All you had to do was contact me in the morning! I really don’t understand the need for all this skullduggery!”

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:53 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex stays back for now, reasoning William knows what best to say here.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:07 pm
by jp1885

Ivy also keeps her mouth shut (but not without difficulty!)

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
“And who are you people?!” demanded Gotlieb angrily. “What do you want from me? Are you behind this?!”

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm an attorney," says William. "I'm sorry, but this can't wait until morning. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. We have a warrant duly sworn by a judge."

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 am
by Bullfrog
"This is most irregular, Mr. Gotlieb, but we understand you have some pretty irregular clients. Do you know anything about a guy named Nyatanga?" Lawrence inquires, intensely staring the realtor down. "We understand you might have had some dealings with him regarding the recent sale of a church out in Pointe-aux-Chenes."
Persuade 15%: 1d100

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:29 pm
by Philulhu
Gotlieb blinked, clearly puzzled by the line of questioning. Nyatanga? He was a recent client. I dealt with his land sale.”

He frowned. “Has he put you up to this?! Verdammt! I can assure you that the sale was dealt with in accordance with all state and federal laws!”

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:15 pm
by jp1885

Ivy cocks her head.

"Why would you think he's put us up to this? I assume your dealings didn't end amicably?"

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Gotlieb frowned again and shook his head. “No, no, nothing like that. It was all amicable and above board. Mr Nyatanga just struck me as slightly eccentric, is all.”

“He settled his account promptly and I have not seen anything else of him since.”

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's more than slightly eccentric," says William. "He's a madman, and a criminal. That's what this is about. Do you have any idea where he might have moved? Do you have any contact information for him?"

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:09 am
by Philulhu
Gotlieb scowled. “I will have to check my records.” He turned and unlocked the door, muttering to himself, ”I really don’t know why this could not have waited until the morning…”

Inside, the offices were neat and tidy, with two desks in the outer office and three doors leading off. One of those led to a kitchenette and the two others bore the names of the three partners, Gotlieb sharing with Meyer and Strauss having an office of his own. Against the back wall were some wooden filing cabinets which Gotlieb walked over to, opened and started going through the files.

He pulled out a file and crossed to one of the desks, switching on a desk light to illuminate the contents. The top page was a letter to Mr Nyatanga, addressed care of the General Store, Johnson Bayou. He looked over to a framed map on the wall, walking over to study it more carefully. “Are you familiar with Johnson Bayou, Sheriff?” he asked. DuPont shook his head.

Gotlieb turned to look at them, his finger resting on a small settlement away down on the coast. “In which case, I do hope that none of you suffer from seasickness. The only way you’re getting to Johnson Bayou is by boat!”

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:19 pm
by jp1885

“Thank you for your cooperation Mr. Gotlieb. Forgive us if we inspect the records ourselves,” says Ivy, finishing with a sardonic smile. “It would be a shame to waste this warrant.”

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says William. "What else can you tell us about Johnson Bayou?"

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:13 pm
by Philulhu
Gotlieb frowned at Ivy’s lack of trust and curtly spun the file around so she could read it for herself.

He looked at William and said, “It’s an unincorporated parish on the coast. A church or two, a general store obviously. Probably no more than two hundred people live there, mostly dirt poor working on the oil fields or the local fishing boats. I think I went there about ten years ago, but they rarely have use of a realtor. The land is virtually worthless. It lies in the path of every hurricane going. I’m surprised anyone still lives there.”

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says William. He also examines the documents with his keen lawyer's eyes.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:20 pm
by Silver Priest
It made sense to Alex. The man fled to somewhere the law was unlikely to be able to reach him. The detective doubts the sheriff will be willing to venture out with him outside of his jurisdiction, which likely meant that it was up to them to bring Nyatanga to justice. Though perhaps that was for the best; Alex still remembers what happened the last time they got the local law enforcement involved.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:58 pm
by Philulhu
There was nothing in the records that Ivy or William could see that contradicted what Gotlieb had told them.

“If that’s all, may I go now? I’m sure my wife would like to know where I’ve got to.”

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:07 pm
by jp1885

"I see no reason why not," replies Ivy, looking to the others for confirmation, almost as an afterthought.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I have no further questions at this time," says William.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:51 am
by Bullfrog
"I wonder what he'd even want that land for- there's not much you can do with property that risks flooding every time a raincloud looks at it funny." Lawrence comments. "Not much of a place for 'business ventures'. Nyatanga probably just wanted a place where people were scarce."

Could Lawrence use his Natural History skill to determine what Nyatanga would want from Johnson Bayou?

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Make your roll and let’s see how successful you are.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:23 am
by Bullfrog
Natural History 51%: 1d100

Lawrence isn't from around these parts. He hasn't a damn clue.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:24 pm
by Philulhu
Gotlieb frowned at Lawrence. “I didn’t say he had bought land there,” he said, with ill-disguised impatience. “Its probably fishing or one of the new oilfields.”

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:37 pm
by jp1885

"Well indeed - quite so," says Ivy. "Might there be something in the municipal records about that particular piece of land? Naturally we will be compelled to visit the place, but of we can be forewarned as to the environment we will find ourselves in, then perhaps we will be forearmed."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll want to identify and talk to the former owners, if it has indeed changed hands, or the current owners if not," says William.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:23 pm
by Silver Priest
"I would assume he's likely up to his old tricks," Alex suggests, "And is trying to build his cult back up in this isolated area. I would suggest we take a trip there rather than spending time trying to interview the locals; that's a surefire way to tip him off if Nyatanga has established control over the area already."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 pm
by Philulhu
“As fascinating as this is, my dinner is getting cold, so I’m going to ask you to leave now,” said Gotlieb. “I’m sure the records clerks will love to see at a far more civilised hour in the morning.”

He nodded at Sheriff DuPont who took the hint and ushered them from the office, leaving the lawyer to lock up and head home.

”I think we’re done here. What do you plan to do next?” asked the Sheriff as he watched Gotlieb walking away.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Alex is right, we need to head out there before Nyatanga gets wind that we're on his trail," says William. "Surprise is our best advantage."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:11 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods.

“Very well, let us make haste.”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:02 am
by Philulhu
”You’ve remembered that the only way out there is by boat,” said the Sheriff. ”Not sure how easy it’ll be to get there tonight.”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you have a boat available?" asks William. "If not, we'll need to rent one, and if we can't do it tonight, we'll have to do it first thing in the morning. I'd rather we did it tonight, though. If we go when it's daylight, anyone could see us coming."

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:04 pm
by Philulhu
The Sheriff glanced at his wristwatch. ”I could point you in the direction of a couple of bars where you’ll find someone who can run you out there. Take my advice and travel in the morning, though. This time of night you’re unlikely to find any sober, if I’m honest.”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:25 pm
by Silver Priest
"Could we perhaps hire someone and pay them enough to ensure they were sober tomorrow night?" Alex asks. "That lets us get there at night, if that is an issue. Assuming it is not too dangerous."

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:39 pm
by Philulhu
”Pay them tonight and I can guarantee they won’t be sober anytime tomorrow,” replied the Sheriff dryly.

”Look, I can’t stop you going but I’ve made my position clear,” he said. ”Despite prohibition, there’s plenty of places where a thirsty sailor can find a drop, and the police didn’t go…”

He paused. ”We don’t have the resources to be everywhere at once,” he said with a frown.

”Anyway, Joe Sisk runs a speakeasy down by the docks. It’s rough but you should find the sailors you need there.”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Sheriff," says William. "Will you be accompanying us to Johnson Island?"

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:44 pm
by Philulhu
”Bayou, not Island,” corrected the Sheriff. ”It’s connected to the mainland, but it’s remote and there’s no road there.”

”I can’t come with you. I don’t have enough men to spare to leave the place, but don’t overreach yourselves. If you find this Nyatanga fellow, come back for reinforcements. Don’t feel you have to do this on your own.”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll definitely take you up on that offer," says William.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
Sheriff DuPont nodded. ”Ok, well I’ve got to get back to the station. Your driver should know where Joe Sisk’s place is,” he said. ”Tell him his brother-in-laws says ‘hi’.”

He bid them goodnight, climbed into his car and drove away, leaving them on the sidewalk outside the now-dark realtor’s office.

Parked in his own car, Oscar stifled a yawn. Leaning out of the window, he said, “Where to now? Back to de hotel?”

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not just yet, Oscar," says William. "First we'd like to go to Joe Sisk's place."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:03 pm
by Philulhu
Joe’s?” replied Oscar with a raised eyebrow. “Yeah, I know where dat is. I hear the guy dat runs it is married to de Sheriff’s sister.” He got out of the car and opened the doors. “Come on. I’ll drive you dere.”

The journey down to the docks took a little over ten minutes before Oscar pulled over on the opposite side of the road to low, one-storey wooden building, with a tinplate ‘Cafe’ sign above the door. Two well-built, smartly dressed men stood by the door, greeting customers as they walked up.

“Dat’s Joe’s. You goin’ in?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:54 pm
by jp1885

Ivy eyes the building critically.

"I suppose it's too late to acquire some galoshes and an oilskin," she mutters.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, we're going in," says William. "Wait for us here, please. I don't think we'll be too long."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:13 pm
by Silver Priest
Even despite all the horrors he's faced, Alex is still uncomfortable entering into a depraved den of hooch. He feels uncomfortable rubbing shoulders with booze distributors, especially when the law was being so flagrantly violated. But this is not his town, so he keeps his objections to himself.

Still, he's content to letting William do most of the talking here.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
The two men by the cafe door watched as they approached, greeting them as they came within earshot. ”Gentlemen. Ma’am,” the older one greeted them. He was solidly-built with greying hair, carefully brilliantined in place.

”We haven’t seen you here before, so what can we do for you?”

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're here to talk to Joe Sisk," says William. "His brother-in-law told us to see him. He says 'hi,' by the way."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:05 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence can't help but be amused by Alex's discomfort with entering a speakeasy; seeing what he has seen, that which breaks the law seems downright quaint in comparison with that which breaks the world itself! Alcohol isn't the worst thing that can grip a man's mind; as a matter of fact, it may be the best.
"Great place you've got here- my brother would have loved it. But we're just looking for a boatman."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:01 pm
by jp1885

“A competent and, ideally, sober one.” Ivy adds.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:50 pm
by Philulhu
The men studied William for a long moment, then the older one nodded and pushed open the cafe door. ”Welcome to Joe’s,” he said.

Inside was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday night, with people of all backgrounds sat around the room, chatting and listening to the jazz band who were giving it there all on a small stage in the corner. A steady stream of waiting staff emerged from what was presumably a kitchen area, although they were carrying highball glasses rather than plates of food.

Most of the clientele were respectably dressed but sat at a small table at the end of the bar was a group of rough, weatherbeaten men, arguing about the upcoming baseball season.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says William, stepping inside. He glances over at the table with the men arguing about baseball. "Would you recommend those men as a crew?"

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:48 am
by Philulhu
The doorman shrugged. Jimmy’s OK when he hasn’t had a drink. Watch out for Lucius though, he’s got a temper.” He pointed in the direction of two of the men at the table.

The one called Jimmy would be charitably described as grizzled, given that he appeared to be about 70 and had spent every day of his life exposed to the sun and salt water. A short-cut thatch of white hair topped a tanned and heavily lined face. Lucius was a few decades younger, lean and broad-shouldered, with flecks of grey starting to appear in his dark, curly hair that he wore down to his collar. The table before then was full of glasses - they had obviously been there a while.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening, gentlemen," says William as he approaches. "We're looking to hire a boat to take us out to Johnson Bayou."

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:19 pm
by jp1885

Ivy sweeps the establishment with a steely gaze to see if anyone reacts at the mention of Johnson Bayou.

[10] = 10
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 10 ] = 10

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Their appearance had attracted the momentary, cursory interest that strangers entering a bar often will, but the patrons had soon switched their attention back to their own affairs and Ivy’s stare was not returned.

The two men at the table peered up at them, looked them up and down and shared a glance before the older man pushed out a stool with his foot and beckoned them to sit down. ”So who ah youse and what’s yer business at Johnson Bayou?” he asked.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm William Preston, from Boston," says William. "Joe Sisk's brother-in-law sent us. We're looking for a man that went out there."

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:44 am
by Philulhu
Sisk’s brother in law’s with the police,” scowled the younger man, who the doorman had called Lucius. Jimmy shot him a warning glance and put a steadying hand on his arm.

”Who’s the man yer after? Not that ah’m interested in yer business but just want to be sure we ain’t biting off more’n we can chew.”

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The man's name is Nyatanga," says William, watching for their reactions.

Psychology roll (67% skill) to see how they react:
d%

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:00 pm
by jp1885

Already on the alert, Ivy also watches carefully.

[37] = 37
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 37 ] = 37

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:00 pm
by Philulhu
The two men looked at each other and shrugged. Nyatanga? Never heard of him,” said Lucius.

Absolutely, never tell a lie, 100% trustworthy!

Ivy has no reason to doubt them.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

William nods. It's probably best that they haven't heard of him.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:40 am
by Silver Priest
Alex almost tells the men how dangerous Nyatanga is, but thinks better of it. They wanted these folks cooperation after all, and that was liable only to scare them off. He does feel guilty for lying by omission though. Hopefully none of these men would find unwittingly themselves caught up in all this by helping them.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:56 am
by Bullfrog
"He's a lunatic snake-worshipper, and a dangerous man who doesn't balk at killing. You won't be going anywhere near him; we're only making sure he's there, then getting out as soon as we do." Lawrence admits, shooting a harsh look at Alex; leaving these men in the dark would only be a greater risk to their lives. Lawrence was going to finish this once and for all, and he was going to do it as cleanly as possible.
"The risk is on us."

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:58 am
by Philulhu
Jimmy sat back and whistled through his teeth. ”Sounds like a dangerous man,” he said, glancing at Lucius. ”Whadda you think, Luc?”

The younger man studied them carefully. ”We’ll be going out of our way and there’s the risk involved in this Nyatanga fella, so I reckon it could be an expensive job…” he said grimly. ”I reckon you’re looking at one hundred and fifty bucks, minimum!”

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:11 pm
by jp1885

Ivy stifles a gasp at the exorbitant sum.

"Nothing but reprobates!" she hisses to Alex. "Bravo to Mr. Gilman for positively flinging what cards we have in our hand across the table for everyone to see!" she continues, glaring at Lawrence.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Like my friend said, you won't be in any danger," says William. "We'll be the ones taking all the risks."

Bargain roll (35% skill) to negotiate the price:
d%

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:58 am
by Silver Priest
Alex too finds Lawrence's loose lips frustrating, but thankfully William speaks with the practiced ease of one used to negotiating contracts. Hopefully he could get them a good deal here-- otherwise they may as well buy a boat and make the trip themselves.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
Jimmy pursed his lips and considered William carefully. ”Okay… … call it a hundred bucks and you’ve got yourselves a ride.”

Looking up at William he held out his hand to seal the deal.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed. Fifty bucks in advance, and fifty when we get back," says William, shaking his hand. A hundred dollars is still a lot of money these days, but he can afford it better than most, and the sailors now have an incentive to bring them back and not get scared and abandon them.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:53 am
by Bullfrog
"Are they not men, Ms. Ripley? Should they have gone in blind, not knowing the risks of the job?" Lawrence shoots back through gritted teeth, his words dripping in venom; it is a discomforting thing to hatred focus and burn in those sunken, restless eyes of his, normally glazed-over or flitting across the room like billiard balls. He reaches into his wallet and pulls out fifty dollars in small bills, setting them on the table; it's not exactly pocket change for a farmer, especially these days.
"Spend it how you want- just come to the job sober."

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:50 pm
by jp1885

Ivy rolls her eyes, drawing Lawrence aside in an attempt to get out of earshot.

"We have all been through a lot Mr. Gilman, but that does not excuse such a foolish display! Has it occurred to you that these gentlemen could be confederates of Nyatanga? Why, you have left us sadly bereft of bargaining chips! Throwing your money around - for shame!"

With a withering glare, she turns away from the man and addresses Jimmy and Lucius.

"There - the money is strewn before you. Do we have a deal?"

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
Lucius glared back at Lawrence, and pushed the table away from him so he could stand, causing the beer to slop in the glasses alarmingly. ”You said how dangerous this Nyatanga is. Don’t then curse us for putting a price on our safety! Take your money back if you want but you’ll be swimmin’ all the way! You’ll not find another boat this side of the Mississippi, I’ll make sure of that!” he snarled.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's not angry at you," says William. "She's angry at my friend. It's a personal thing."

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:05 am
by Silver Priest
"Let's all calm down," Alex suggests. "You've gotten your money, sir. I hope this will prove agreeable to you. It is quite a lot for a day's work; and I'm sure it could buy several weeks of libations."

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:27 pm
by Philulhu
Lucius grabbed the money off the table, rudely pushed past Lawrence and stormed over to the bar. Jimmy watched him go with a sigh and squinted at Lawrence, then the others. ”Three friends, eh? You’re doing surprisingly well for yourself,” he said dryly…

Looking back at William he said, ”When do you want to leave?”.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I expect you and your crew will have slept off tonight's celebrations by tomorrow," says William. "We understandably don't want anyone to see us coming, so we'll want to approach in the evening, under cover of darkness. I trust your crew will be sober then."

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:01 pm
by jp1885

Ivy sighs inwardly as Lucius lumbers to the bar. 'Fools rush in...' she thinks to herself. 'And we're all acting like fools...'

Still, at least this unseemly contretemps has bought them an extra few hours to prepare and she whispers as much to Alex.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:16 pm
by Philulhu
”If by crew, you mean me and Lucius then yeah, we’ll be ready,” replied Jimmy with a short laugh.

”We sail with the tide so be there for 6.00am. Wharf 13 down by the docks. Look out for the ‘Bella Rosa’. Bring a blanket, it can get cold out at sea.”

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:43 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex nods in agreement to Ivy's remarks. Hopefully Lucius would be able to be quiet about all this--not to mention sober-- but his attitude did not inspire much in the way of confidence.

Really, he wondered what they were going to do when they found Nyatanga. The detective would like to arrest him, but he'd co-opted law enforcement before, and he could very well do so again. It may be better to focus on eliminating him. Alex was not a fan of extrajudicial executions, but he may have no choice. Much of it would depend on what they found on the ground, and their target's own attitude when they located him.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Does he mean 6:00 PM? Or will it still be dark that early in the morning?

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:27 pm
by Philulhu
6.00 in the morning. It’s going to take a while to get there (even after I’ve taken some liberties with geography…)

Is there anything you want to try to get before travelling, bearing in mind that it is already past closing time?

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

No, I think we got what we need.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:52 pm
by Bullfrog
It would be good to have some binoculars. If we're here to observe, we may as well do it from a distance.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:00 pm
by jp1885
As we're going by boat, perhaps some waterproof clothing and maybe a coil of rope if possible?

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:24 am
by Philulhu
Rope, yes, but waterproofs are harder to come by because of the shops being closed overnight. The same story with binoculars.

We are moving here: Bayou Blues