Ch.15d Baton Rouge

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Ch.15d Baton Rouge

Post by jp1885 »

“Let us leave the good Reverend to go about his business,” interjects Ivy, somewhat tartly.

“Clearly he has nothing to do with the church’s previous occupants, so waving guns under his nose and telling him alarming stories will do little to further our investigation.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Something doesn't sit right with Alex. Haynes reaction to learning the past owner of this property had been a kidnapper and attempted murderer seemed rather underwhelming. He may have just wanted to get the group with guns away from his flock, but the detective thought he'd be a bit more alarmed.
OOC:   did my psychology roll get anything off about the reverend?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The Reverend is trying his best to remain calm and collected so that no harm befalls his flock. Alex gets nothing from him that suggests any duplicitous intent.

Sheriff DuPont shouldered his rifle and indicated that the others should do the same. ”Perhaps if you might show us the basement, Reverend? Then we can put everyone’s mind at rest,” he asked.

Reverend Haynes thought for a moment and nodded. ”Follow me,” he said and turned and led the way through the church. Descending the steps into the cooler air of the underground room, Haynes said, ”As you can see, it is merely a basement we use for storage there is nothing untoward here.”

Looking around, it was indeed the same basement where William, Lawrence, James and Brophy has been held, but of their stay, no sign remained. Now it was just full of storage boxes, old paint cans and tools.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Were there prison cells down here when you bought the place?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Unfamiliar with the basement layout (mercifully), Ivy casts her eye across the room. If there used to be cells, surely there must be brackets, screw holes, marks on the floor and wotnot - signs of the basement's previous use?

[4] = 4
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 4 ] = 4
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Reverend Haynes frowned. ”Some of the areas here had iron bars but we removed them when we took over. They were just in the way and besides, this is a religous community so we have no need to fear theft here.”

He pointed to the floor where the remnants of the removed ironmongery could be seen.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex softens, convinced of the reverend's innocence in the matter.

"Thank you for your time, Reverend. We can confirm that Mr. Nyatanga is an exceptionally dangerous man who was running some sort of heathen cult here involving snakes. But with my friend's escape I believe he feared we've gotten wind of him and took off. I don't believe he will trouble you or your flock, but please remain vigilant."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“How did this Nyatanga fellow arrange the sale of the church?” Ivy asks the good reverend.

“While I doubted he left a forwarding address, did he use a lawyer?”

She turns to the others.

“If you want to track him down, that’s an avenue worth exploring.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's a good idea," says William. "I am an attorney, and while I'm not licensed to practice law in Louisiana, I can still help with researching the records."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Reverend Haynes said, Mr Nyatanga used a solicitor in Baton Rouge. A Mr HN Sherburne. I believe his offices are on St. Louis Street.”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Real diligent, for a damn lunatic, but I guess that's what makes men like Nyatanga so dangerous: acting like sane men so they can do insane things." Lawrence contemplates, looking around the basement where he was once certain he would spend his last hours. It was strange to see the room stripped of all of its makeshift prison cells, but refreshing. If he could just tie off this last loose end, maybe everything really could turn out alright after all.
"Did you ever talk to him much yourself, Reverend? What did he seem like to you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's not the only one with a lawyer," says William. "We've got one too: me. I can counter any legal maneuvers he tries."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”We dealt with the realtor and his attorney, mainly,” replied Reverend Haynes.

”I only met Mr Nyatanga once, on the day we moved here. He and a few others were moving the last of their goods from the church. He had this big car, overloaded with boxes and crates and some of his men hanging off the sides! He was courteous, but they didn’t seem quite right to me, if I am honest with you my wife was quite disturbed by them, but they caused us no harm. Just bid us farewell and set off on their way.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“No mention of where they were going I assume?” Ivy asks. “Did they say anything that struck you as unusual?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And who was the realtor?" asks William. "That's someone we'll want to ask some things. The realtor who sold this place may have also bought the one where they were moving."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”His Realtor was a Mr Joseph Gotlieb. He has offices on Lafayette Street in town. We had regular correspondence so I remember it well,” replied the Reverend.

”The only thing I recall Mr Nyatanga saying was that he had a new business venture to the west and he hoped to strike it lucky. I don’t remember him saying anything else that would be pertinent,” he continued.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thank you, this has been very useful," Alex says. They had two new persons of interest now to look into.With luck, one of them could point them to where Nyatanga had gone, or at least give a rough location.Of course, they couldn't discount the possibility one of the men were involved in the cult, but Alex personally doubts that. They'd likely have left with Nyatanga in that case.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Where to next? The time is approximately 5.30pm.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy glances at her watch.

"It's getting late and businesses will be closing. If anyone's working longer hours, it'll be the lawyer Sherburne?"

She looks to William for confirmation of legal working hours.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Lawyers will work any hours for which they are able to bill," says William, "but I don't want to alert this one to our presence. If he gets wind that we're on Nyatanga's trail, he could tip him off to our interest. There's always the danger that the realtor will too, but it's less likely. He may not even know anything of Nyatanga's crooked ways, but the lawyer will have to at least suspect, being privy to his secrets and having to defend him against any accusations. When we do approach the realtor, we should come armed with a warrant for the records of Nyatanga's real estate transactions, though we may not need it. No such warrant would help us with the lawyer. He'd just cite attorney-client privilege, and that would be the end of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Servants of the Lake”