Page 1 of 1

Ch. 16f Tomorrow is Another Day

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 pm
by Philulhu
Saturday March 14th, 1931 9.30am
Hebert House, Middle Ridge Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

After the lateness of the evening before, everyone rose slightly later the next day. Mrs Hebert prepared a breakfast of coffee, juice and a stack of freshly cooked pancakes.

As they tucked in, she said, ”What will you be doing today? Nothing as exciting as last night, I shouldn’t think!”

Re: Ch. 16f Tomorrow is Another Day

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:25 am
by Silver Priest
"I believe I'll be visiting Nashoba today. I want to see if he's in any state to answer some questions." Alex says. He offers the requisite compliments on their host's cooking, but to be honest his heart's not fully in it. He knows there are horrors in this area that defy comprehension. And yet again he finds himself on a collusion course with them. But perhaps this was to be his lot in life. Cursed to know the future, he and his friends needed to fight to protect the present.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope it's not as exciting as last night," says William. "Do exciting things usually happen here, or are we just lucky?" He nods to Alex. "I'd like to see him again too."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:18 am
by Philulhu
Mrs Hebert pursued her lip disapprovingly. ”Was he involved in last night’s events? I shouldn’t put it past him!” she said.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"He does seem to have had some involvement," says William, "though he also seemed surprised by some of what happened. I'm hoping he'll have something to say about it since he's had some sleep and come to his senses."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:49 am
by Bullfrog
"God have mercy on his soul." Lawrence mumbles, prodding a pancake repeatedly with his fork; he looks like he's slept for a number of hours that can be counted on one hand.
"Saw some real shifty types working out there, too. I'm sure everything will be clear, now that it's the morning and we've all had time to sleep on it. Who enforces the law out here, anyways? I don't suppose I've seen many policemen around here."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:13 am
by Philulhu
”Until recently, we haven’t really needed anyone,” replied Mrs Hebert. ”We’re a small town and everyone rubs along alright. Nobody wants to be the subject of one of the Reverend’s sermons on a Sunday morning! He has a way of talking to you without talking to you, while the whole town listens in on the conversation, if you know what I mean!”

”As for the police, we could call on someone from Baton Rouge, if we had to, but no-one’s needed to do that in quite a while.”

Can I have a Psychology or Spot Hidden roll, please?

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:23 am
by jp1885

[7] = 7
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 7 ] = 7
Extreme success!

Despite all her bluster and ill-temper, Ivy can be an extremely shrewd judge of character.

Her eyes narrow - sometimes doesn’t seem right…

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:05 pm
by Philulhu
Something in Mrs Hebert’s tone suggests to Ivy that she might be talking from personal experience.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:37 pm
by jp1885

"The good reverend has had you in his sights Mrs. Hebert, hm?" asks Ivy, arching an eyebrow.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

William had a similar thought.

Psychology roll (67% skill) about Mrs. Hebert:
d%

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:53 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

"I don't believe we've met the reverend," says Alex. "Though we did run into the local priests."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:27 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, Reverend = priest (she doesn’t specify which one).

Mrs Hebert stiffened, her eyes flicking to her daughters and back. ”That’s my business,” she replied, tightly and firmly. ”And as guests in my home, I would appreciate some respect for my privacy and that of my family.”

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:11 pm
by jp1885

Ivy follows the woman’s gaze to the children.

“I have overstepped the mark, for which I apologise,” she says, softening her tone. “Should you wish to confide with another woman in private, I am here. Let us leave it at that.”

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
”That would be for the best,” said Mrs Hebert. She stood and picked up some of the dishes, taking them into the kitchen, where the sound of taps being turned on could be heard.

The two girls looked at each other uncertainly, not sure what had passed between the adults.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

William enjoys his pancakes, thinking it wiser not to comment.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:45 pm
by jp1885

Ivy smiles what she hopes is a comforting smile to the children, before standing up by the kitchen door.

“May I help with the washing up?” she asks. “By way of further apology.”

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs Hebert looked at Ivy for a long moment then stepped away from the sink and picked up a dishtowel to start drying the few things she had already washed.

”Thank you,” she said quietly.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:27 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods and briskly sets about the dishes.

"I meant what I said about confiding in me," she says quietly. "Should you wish to do so.

She flicks a dish rag ruthlessly across a plate. "I shall say no more on the subject."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:40 am
by Philulhu
Mrs Hebert looked from Ivy to the dining room, where the three men sat talking as they finished their breakfast. ”Tell me,” she said, ”Have you been married long?”

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:30 am
by jp1885

“No, not very long,” Ivy replies, trying desperately not to blush.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:43 pm
by Philulhu
”And was it his idea to get married?” Mrs Hebert asked, still looking at Alex. ”He is younger than you, isn’t he?”

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm
by jp1885

Ivy makes a show of checking that no one else is listening.

“Let’s just say it was convenient for the both of us. We’re very fond of each other though, don’t get me wrong.”

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 am
by Philulhu
Mrs Hebert glanced at Ivy and looked down. ”It was convenient for my husband too. I just wish he’d been honest with me from the start,” she said bitterly. ”I have my girls, but… …” She sniffed and dabbed at her eyes with the corner of her apron.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 pm
by jp1885

Feeling somewhat awkward, Ivy puts what she hopes is a comforting hand on the woman's shoulder.

"You may think me prying, but would you like to talk about it?"

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:30 am
by Bullfrog
"I remember when I thought I'd end up getting married. I was young, then." Lawrence mentions to the other men, so as to not accidentally and awkwardly eavesdrop on the conversation in the other room.
"Nineteen twenty-nine... Those were the good old days."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Being away from my wife reminds me of how much I love her," says William. "When we were in France, I didn't know if I'd ever see her again, but I made sure I survived so that I could."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:29 am
by Silver Priest
"You're still young," Alex tells Lawrence. "Never say never."

"What is your wife like? I've not heard you mention her before." He asks William.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:35 pm
by Philulhu
”Another time, perhaps,” she said, sniffing again. She took a compact from one of the kitchen drawers and critically examined her appearance. ”Oh, look at my eyes!” she exclaimed quietly, gently rubbing underneath them to try to reduce the puffiness.

”I have to keep up appearances for my girls,” she said.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:57 pm
by Bullfrog
"Almost forgot you had a wife, William. Does she have much to say about these trips?" Lawrence inquires.
"My family's learned to stop asking. I mostly just keep to myself when I'm not doing farm work."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 pm
by jp1885

“Quite so,” says Ivy, suppressing a sigh of frustration at this shilly-shallying. “Your girls are a credit to you.”

“Quite the contretemps at the oil site today,”
she continues, hoping her host will appreciate this obvious change of subject.

“Their foreman seems quite the ogre - he must have been livid. Is he a local man?”

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I met Amelia at Miskatonic University, when we were students there," says William. "We married after we graduated. She's beautiful, but I love her because she's beautiful on the inside. She's very caring, and it would break her heart if she knew what we'd been through. I don't talk about our business with her. She's better off not knowing. Still, she can sense that it's been rough, but she knows not to pry. When I go on these trips, she doesn't ask questions."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:23 am
by Silver Priest
Alex was impressed by William's willingness to keep risking himself when he had so much to live for. But he was also concerned.

"Not that we don't appreciate your help, but Lawrence and I are single men. I would hate if something happened to you and we had to explain it to your wife. I hope that this will be our last case-- for all our sakes, but especially yours. And there's no shame if you decide you can no longer continue down this path if things grow too dangerous.."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:03 am
by Philulhu
”Oh no, he’s not local,” said Mrs Hebert. ”I’m sure if he were, he wouldn’t get away with acting like he does. If he was local, he wouldn’t be able to look anyone in the eye, the way he talks to people.”

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William. "I've already decided this would be my last one. I wouldn't have even come on this one, but I owe it to Georgie."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:32 pm
by jp1885

"He's a deeply unpleasant man alright," Ivy concurs. "I'm surprised no-one has tried to do something to the oil field before. Surely someone has tried to sneak in?"

She leans forward conspiratorially.

"We're writing an article on the damage the oil company is doing to your town, but we can't get into the site for love nor money."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
”Not that I’m aware,” Mrs Hebert replied. ”It’s a double-edged sword. There isn’t much in the way of work for local people and the worker’s spend money in the store. It has been a disruption, though.”

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:19 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, I must get the girls to do their homework,” said Mrs Hebert. ”So I’ll let you get on. Dinner is at six ‘o’ clock, if I don’t see you beforehand.”

She smiled wanly and went to round up her daughters, whose protests could be heard all the way upstairs…

Ok, who do you want to go and see first?

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:57 pm
by Silver Priest

Alex would like to go pay Nashoba a visit.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:17 pm
by jp1885
Nashoba's the only lead we have access to, so Ivy will join her 'other half''.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

I'd also like to visit Nashoba.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:24 am
by Bullfrog
It seems pretty essential to check in on Nashoba.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 am
by Philulhu
Leaving Mrs Hebert and her daughters to their homework, the party let themselves out and headed up the road that lead out of town, towards the shack where they had left Nashoba the night before.

As they approached the shack they heard raised voices. Nashoba’s wife was hectoring him in a shrill tone and the man himself was answering back, barking replies at her, testily. The language was foreign to them, of course, but it wasn’t difficult to surmise the tone of the conversation.

As they watched, the door to the shack was flung open so that it banged hard against the wall, threatening to break the timbers, and Nashoba staggered out, eyes sunken, his hair standing up in all directions, tripping over his own feet but somehow just about managing to stay upright. To Lawrence, no stranger to the illicit hooch distilled in the backs of barns and other out of the way places, it looked like the Native American was suffering the very worst of hangovers, barely able to keep his eyes open or his hands from trembling.

His wife appeared in the doorway behind him, continually berating him to no avail. Even when she tore off her moccasin and threw it at him, it barely registered and he stumbled past them in the direction of town without a word…

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:24 am
by Silver Priest
Of all the sights Alex was expecting, this was not one of them. Given what the man had seen however, perhaps the bottle was a logical source.

He places a hand on the native's shoulder, attempting to gently but get the man's attention. "Good morning, Mr. Nashoba. We'd like to speak to you for a few moments."

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you'd like some food, I'm buying," says William, walking along with him. Having something in his stomach besides alcohol will help dilute it and sober him up, and it loosened his tongue the day before.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:03 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba shrugged off Alex’s hand and carried on in the direction of town. Up close, he had the sour reek of smoke, of someone who hadn’t washed and had slept in their clothes, but not of alcohol. It seemed it was events of the previous evening that tormented him, not the demon drink.

He eyed William blearily. ”Lunch. Uh-huh,” he grunted as he almost staggered into the ditch at the side of the road.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 pm
by jp1885

Ivy's nose wrinkles in disgust.

"It seems our only lead is as reliable as ever," she mutters. "Remind me why we came down her again?"

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"To find evidence of the presence of Nyatanga or any of his people," says William.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:31 pm
by jp1885

“It was a rhetorical question,” Ivy snaps. ”That thing in the oilfield is evidence enough I’d say!”

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba continued on his unsteady way, swaying from side to side as he walked. His progress was slow. More than once he seemed to get lost and stop in the road, peering around to get his bearings before heading off again.

It took almost twice as long as it should have to reach town but he eventually made it, tripping over the town sign before staggering into the general store and demanding food in a broken voice.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll pay for it," says William.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:53 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba sat down heavily on at one of the tables, barely managing a wave of his hand as Bart greeted him. “Chief! You look sick as heck. Are you sure you shouldn’t be in bed?”

He looked at the others with obvious concern.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm
by Silver Priest
"He had a rough night," Alex adds, lamely. "We're hoping a nice meal will help him sober up."

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think he'll feel better once he's had something to eat," says William.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:33 pm
by jp1885

Ivy makes her opinion of Nashoba known with a loud 'harrumph'.

"It'll take a three course meal to sober him up," she mutters.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba frowned and stared at Ivy. ”Harrumph, yourself,” he said, testily but a bit more cogently.

He looked at the other three and frowned again. ”What do you want?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"We want to understand what happened last night," says William. "I get the feeling you don't fully understand it yourself, but maybe we can put the pieces together. There was an oilman we saw last night." He describes the one he saw in the church. "Do you know the man's name? Did you see him?"

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:18 am
by Silver Priest
Relieved the man's back to his grumpy self, Alex smiles.

"There's also the fact of what you saw last night," he adds. "I don't think it's a coincidence you chose the exact pit whatever that thing was was lurking in to attack. I think someone manipulated you to strike there--wanted to unleash something horrible on the town."

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:51 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba shrugged at William’s question. It seems that whoever the man was, Nashoba either hadn’t seen him or didn’t know who he was.

To Alex he said, ”I told you. Well, one of you, anyway.” He looked around at the four of them. ”It’s the burial ground of my tribe. My ancestors lie there, beneath the oil and filth with which the whites pollute the ground.” He scowled at them, as if they were personally responsible.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Last night, you kept saying 'Nakka Mur,'" says William. "I was wondering what it means."

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba frowned. ”It means ‘the black of night’. Our legends speak of an ancient spirit who haunts the dreams and hides in the shadows, spreading mistrust and causing discord.”

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"That makes sense," says William. "There's a lot of that going around. Do you have any idea what that thing that came out of the oil was? Could that have been Nakka Mur?"

The first post says that today is Saturday, April 1st, 1931, but yesterday was Friday, March 13th, 1931. Shouldn't today be Saturday, March 14th?

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:19 am
by Bullfrog
"I've been thinking a lot about things like that. I don't take every legend to be true, but they had to be inspired by something; I've seen the truth with my own eyes." Lawrence says. "Were there any stories in particular about this Nakka Mur?"

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:31 am
by Philulhu
Date amended. It’s not like you can travel in time, right? 😉

Bart brought Nashoba a cup and a pot of coffee and the Native American spoke as he poured himself a drink with less than steady hands.

”The legends say that Nakka Mur came to be on a night so dark that even the moon went out. As the light returned, he was born out of the first shadows, and has lived in them ever since.”

“From the shadows, he talks to men, makes them doubt their own wisdom, doubt the own truth of their eyes. He sits on the shoulders of our chiefs and incites them to war, sits on the shoulders of the weak and incites them to steal. He thrives on the discord he creates.”

He paused and took a drink. Nuta - my revered grandfather - told me he saw him once. The village chiefs were discussing how to deal with the whites who would steal our land. Nuta should not have been there but he was a curious boy, hidden under the furs at the back of the tipi.”

“Some chiefs counselled peaceful talks, but others counselled war. Those who wanted peace were winning the argument until the eldest spoke up again. He said the whites would never stop and he said war was the only answer. Some expressed surprise at his sudden change of heart, but he carried the day and my people waged war on the whites. Many of them died, very few of us are still here to carry on and keep our story alive.”

Nuta always said that he was watching the old man as he listened to the arguments of his fellow chiefs. He saw the shadows move in a way that could not be explained by fire or flames, heard the faint whispers of Nakka Mur that changed the heart of the old man, that lead to the deaths of my people, who died in battle, of disease, of exhaustion on the long marches into captivity… …”

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:24 pm
by jp1885

Ivy arches an eyebrow.

"Indeed? The area where they're digging for oil - is it somewhere that is particularly associated with Nakka Mur?" she asks. "Has anything else happened since the time of your grandfather that could be attributed to these whispers?"

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:19 pm
by Silver Priest
"I wonder if Nakka Mur may have tried to influence you," Alex suggests. "Did you come up with your plan recently? It may have fed off your frustration and resentments. For what purpose I am uncertain, however. It may be that timely intervention prevented a worse outcome.""

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nakka Mur must have been responsible for the Great War too," says William, "whispering in the ears of the leaders of both sides, urging them to take revenge. Did your grandfather describe Nakka Mur's appearance?"

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:07 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba looked at Ivy and shook his head. ”Nakka Mur is not bound to one place. Those lands once belonged to us, part of a reservation, but the chiefs sold the land to the whites so they could take the oil and despoil it.”

As for my actions,”
he said to Alex, ”I believe them to be my own. Whether Nakka Mur whispered to me in the darkness to steer me on my path, I cannot say. I will have to think on that a while.”

Turning to William, he paused for a moment, considering his words. Nuta said he was like smoke, or shadows. I do not know if he has a true form or whether anyone has seen it. Legends say when the night is black as pitch, he can be seen, but that could just be a tale of made up by those with nothing better to do than to try to outdo each other’s stories.”

“Whether he was involved in your war, I do not know.”

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:56 pm
by jp1885

"When you attempted set fire to the oil field last night, you were attacked by something," Ivy states matter-of-factly. "Was that Nakka Mur do you think?"

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba shivered, then shrugged. ”I don’t know. Did it look like smoke to you?”

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not exactly," says William, "though there was smoke too." He describes what he saw.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:54 pm
by Philulhu
William recounted what he had seen by the oil pits. While the oil had burned, he had seen the tentacles emerging from beneath the surface, bursting forth and writhing in the night air, glossy and black, hissing malevolently as they whipped about, catching Nashoba across his back.

Nashoba, who had after all, been looking the other way, studied William intently. ”I did not see it. I just felt its sting, but it sounds like nothing I have ever seen before.”

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:25 pm
by jp1885

“How did you sneak into the site?” Ivy asks. “The foreman refused us access and I think we only got in last time due to everyone being distracted by the fire.”

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've seen some strange things before," says William, "but nothing quite like that."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:44 pm
by Silver Priest
"We've been facing evils like this for some time," Alex tells Nashoba. "And we actually came to this land to hunt down a man who was involved in another incident that some of us barely survived. Now that we know such evil lurks in this land as well, we'd like whatever help you can give in fighting it. I can't promise we'll be able to assist with the oilmen, but given what we saw in those fields, its entirely possible this is connected in someway to them. Which makes it a problem for all of us."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:38 am
by Philulhu
The oil storage pits are located outside the fenced-off oilfield. Anyone can access the oil pits, which just have a small earthen bank and small wooden signs to warn people to keep away. They’re used to store the waste products from the drilling, mainly contaminated oil, so it isn’t really worth anything to the oil company. They just need to store it somewhere.

Nashoba nodded sagely. ”So what is your plan to remove the whites and their drills from my ancestral lands and return them to my people?” he asked, as Bart brought his food to the table.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I am a lawyer," says William, "The best way to beat them is to use their own laws against them, and I know the law very well. It will require research, both of the law and the facts. It will take time, but it's ultimately the best way."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:46 am
by Silver Priest
"William's a good lawyer," Alex says once Bart has left, "And I'm an officer of the law. We can't promise you anything, and I'm going to be upfront about that with you. However, if a cult has spread up amongst the oilmen-- and we have reason to believe that at least some of their number are followers of something very, very dark-- as I said that makes them our problem as well. That's something we'd have to confront, and we'd all have better chances of success if we worked together."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:47 am
by Philulhu
Picking up his knife and fork, Nashoba started to eat. ”And how long will your white man’s laws take?” he asked. ”They're drilling there now, and showing no signs of stopping!”

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"A lawsuit would take a long time," says William, "but we're due to meet with the Sheriff in six days. Any evidence we gather in that time, we can present to him, and then he can take immediate action against those responsible if there are criminal charges. It would then take some time to put them on trial, but in the meantime we could try to get an injunction to stop the drilling, and their reputations would be ruined."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:48 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba pulled a face. ”Six days is a long time,” he said. ”How much damage will be done in that time? My way is probably best.”

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"You tried your way last night," says William. "It did not go well. It could be that Nakka Mur wants you to do things your way. Six days is a long time, but it's probably a lot less than they've already been drilling. Give us a chance to do it our way."

Persuade roll (65% skill) to convince Nashoba:
d%

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:26 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba shook his head stubbornly. ”My way is a way of action, yours is of talking. And what happens in six days? The police talk to the oil company, money changes hands and everything continues as before. At least I got a response last night. You mean well, but nothing will change for my people,” he said firmly.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm
by jp1885

"Mr. Nashoba is correct. That tentacle thing must be dealt with without delay," opines ivy.

"Dynamite, that's what's needed," she continues, suddenly an expert on all things monstrous. "Drive the thing out."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"We may be able to do something about the supernatural evil," says William. "The Sheriff and the courts aren't really equipped to deal with that, but we have experience in that area. That evil is the real threat, and at least one of the oilmen seems to be connected to it, but the oilmen are not the worst enemy we face. Take away their supernatural power, and they are merely men."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:07 am
by Philulhu
Ok, so what are your plans?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to find out who that oilman is that I saw last night," says William, "and preferably find a way to talk to him alone and find out what he knows. He's in this up to his neck."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:35 am
by Bullfrog
Did we get a good enough view of that oilman last night that we'd be able to recognize him if we saw him again? If we just hang around the pits while the workers are coming and going, maybe we could pick him out of a crowd.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:56 am
by Silver Priest
"The oilman does seem our best lead," Alex nods in agreement. "It also is in our mutual interest to investigate him. If he's working with others in the company, that makes them all our problems-- and I'm willing to bet that if this involves into some sort of scandal that William can take to the press, the company will cut its losses and abandon the town."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 pm
by jp1885

“I concur; let’s find this fellow,” says Ivy.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
”Great. I will get to finish my meal in peace,” said Nashoba, waving them away as Bart brought him a fresh cup of coffee and the bill for William.

- - - - - - - - -

They made their way along the coast road, the breeze from the sea cooling as the day began to warm up. They drew level with the oil pits, which still stank of burning from the night before, and could see the oilfields ahead, with the wooden huts which provided accommodation and storage, as well as the drills that brought the oil to the surface.

A few men moved about behind the chain link fence, getting on with their work and not paying them any more than cursory attention.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

William points out the building where he saw the oilman enter last night. "That's where he went, I think," he says. "That should be our first destination."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:42 am
by Silver Priest
"Any suggestions on how we should get in?" Alex asks. "The foreman's made his opinion of reporters known to Ivy and I, and its altogether dim."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Everyone's ignoring us," says William. "We can probably just walk in the gate like we have every right to be here. If someone tries to stop us, we can talk our way inside. We'll say we're here to see that man we saw last night."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am
by Philulhu
Are you all going in?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:56 pm
by jp1885

“We should keep a low profile,” Ivy mutters. “The foreman will be most objectionable if he discovers our presence.”

Yep, Ivy’s going in.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex also prepares to go in.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

William is ready to go in too.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:21 am
by Philulhu
The main gate in the chainlink fence stood open and a rough dirt path lead into the oilfield itself, where the huts and the drills sat side-by-side. The air was thick with smell of oil and everything had a grimy look to it.

Sorry, I realised that I didn’t answer Bullfrog’s question about recognising the man from the church. Yes, you’d recognise him again.

I’m assuming that you’re stepping past the gate. Where are you heading next?

Bullfrog - Is Lawrence going with the others, or going to hang around the pits to see if the guy turns up?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

Yes. To the building I pointed out where I had seen the oilman go.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:42 pm
by jp1885
Ivy will follow Lawrence and William, as they’ve seen more of the site than she has.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:30 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence chooses to hang around the pits by himself to keep an eye out for the man he saw last night, although not before rubbing some dirt and grime on his hands, face, and shirt in order to look like he belongs here. However, he can't keep his eyes from straying towards the oil itself every now and then, glancing at imagined movements.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:55 pm
by Philulhu
Reaching the first building without challenge, they found the door ajar. Looking inside, they saw a series of wooden cot beds with a wardrobe by the head and a wooden locker at the foot. An iron stove in the middle would provide heat when required.

It was obviously a dormitory for the men working on the oilfield and, despite the fact that some of the windows were propped open, it seemed that the sanitary facilities were lacking or underused, given the unmistakable swell of toil and sweat…

Two oilmen approached as Lawrence was scrabbling in the dirt, working on his disguise.

”You ok there, fella?” one of them asked in a sing-song, mid-western accent.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:28 pm
by Silver Priest

"Perhaps we should disguise ourselves." Alex suggest. If anyone asks we can say we're new workers." He looks at Ivy. "Not sure what we should do for you though, Ms. Ripley. You can't exactly pass as a man."

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:02 pm
by jp1885

"I'm hardly Clara Bow. A pair of coveralls and a flat cap will suffice," Ivy replies, looking around for a suitable outfit.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"They're likely to know each other," says William. "They'll probably recognize us as outsiders unless one of you is very good at disguise, and that'll get us in deeper trouble than just walking in here as ourselves."

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 am
by jp1885

“That’s a good point,” Ivy concedes. “But while I’m poking around, I shall look for more snake carvings.”

[41] = 41
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 41 ] = 41

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy

William also looks around, but he doesn't find anything of note.

Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) looking for carvings or other interesting things:
d%

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 am
by Philulhu
Looking around, Ivy and William saw a number of pictures of scantily dressed film stars pinned up on the walls, but no snakes.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:31 pm
by Bullfrog
"Sorry, fellas, sorry. I'm real new here, and I didn't want to look like I was afraid to get my hands dirty on the job." Lawrence explains, forcing himself up off the ground. "You all can call me Neil. Neil Armstrong."

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm
by Philulhu
That sounds like a persuade roll. You can have a bonus die for the disguise.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:07 pm
by Bullfrog
Persuade 15%: 1d100

Bonus die:1d10

Lawrence isn't very convincing, on account of being crazy.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:21 am
by Philulhu
The two men glanced at each other. ”Perhaps we need to take you to see the boss?” said the man who’d spoken previously. ”He’ll know where you’re meant to be.”

They made no attempt to get any closer to Lawrence, but stood waiting to see what he was going to do.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we've found all we're going to find here," says William. "If we're going to find him, we'll have to go ask the other oilmen. He works here, someone must know him."

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:23 am
by Silver Priest

"You have the most experience with the gentleman in question. I'm loathe to consider the idea, but perhaps we should find a worker and offer them a financial incentive to tell us more about our suspect." Alex suggests, looking vaguely nauseated by the whole idea.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see what we can get for free first," says William. "Some people might also get suspicious or offended if you offer a bribe."

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods, somewhat relieved not to find any more, possibly wriggling, carvings.

“Either way, we should avoid the foreman - he’ll have us thrown out, or possibly something worse.”

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:18 pm
by Philulhu
Not having found anything of interest in the first of the wooden buildings, Alex, Ivy and William stepped back outside. As they did so, they saw an oilman heading towards them, stocky and with a length of hose coiled over his shoulder.

He looked at them suspiciously. ”Who are you?” he asked bluntly.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm William," says William. "We're here looking for one of your colleagues." He describes the man they seek.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
”Yeah, I know dat guy,” replied the oilman, looking the three of them up and down.

”What’s it to ya?”

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"We saw him last night," says William. "We'd like to know his name, and to talk to him."

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:17 am
by Philulhu
The man laughed. ”Yeah, but as I said, what’s it to ya? Whaddaya want with a mook like dat?”

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 pm
by jp1885

"We want to talk to him about his desecration of a church," Ivy says flatly. "I assume that's what makes him a 'nook' in your eyes? Odd fellow is he?"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:25 pm
by Silver Priest

"Indeed. He's been observed carving symbols into church pews, and the good Father is most unpleased." says Alex. "We're to meet with him to discuss compensation."

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 am
by Philulhu
Oops, that should say ‘mook’. I’ll update my original post.

The man looked puzzled. ”Nah, he’s a mook, cos he’s a mook. Y’ know a nitwit, a screwball? Don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t chase after gals! He even goes to church, regular-like! Ain’t many fellas like that ‘round here! Anyway, his name’s Andre Haggerston. Want me to round him up for ya?!”

The guy’s rough, cragged face had broken into a smile now, and he was holding his hand out.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

William slips some cash into his hand. "Thank you, we'd appreciate it," he says.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 am
by Philulhu
The man slipped out the door and five minutes later, they could hear him talking to someone as he returned.

”What can I say? Who knows why the boss wanted to talk to you here? I’m just the messenger…” The door was pushed open and the man from the church stood framed in the doorway. A look of puzzlement crossed his face, followed quickly by fear. He turned to run but the other oilman was in his way, and a rough hand shoved him into the room before the door was slammed shut. He spun around and tried to open it, but it was obviously being held from the other side…

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Easy there, Mr. Haggerston," says William. "We only want to talk to you."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:57 am
by Philulhu
Haggerston tried the door again, rattling the handle to no avail. His shoulders tense and eyes darting here and there, he turned around.

”Who are you and what do you want with me?” he asked nervously.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"My name is William," says William. "We just want some information from you. To start with, why did you run from us?"

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:34 pm
by Philulhu
”Who sent you?” he said, looking around for an exit. He didn’t wait for an answer but ran to the nearest window and tried to climb out!

1d100

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:10 pm
by jp1885

"Stop, by the Serpent!" Ivy yells, aiming for a mix of intimidation and bluster.

[40] = 40
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 40 ] = 40

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 pm
by Silver Priest

If the man doesn't stop Alex chases after him and attempts to grab hold of him.

1d100

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:54 am
by Philulhu
Ivy’s shout didn’t seem to deter Haggerston, who wrenched open the window and tried to climb out.

Alex tried to grab him and in trying avoid being caught, Haggerston slipped and toppled head first out of the window, arrested only by his belt catching on the stay pivot, holding him upside down with his legs in the air, yelping painfully at his predicament… …

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:35 am
by Bullfrog
"Look," Lawrence says, leaning in close to the two oilmen and lowering his voice to a whisper. "I've been out of work for a while, and I wanted to make some money here before I go and hit the road again. I was afraid they weren't going to hire me on account of not being from around here, so I thought maybe I could make myself look a little more fit for the job."

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm
by Philulhu
The man snorted. ”Not many locals employed here. They’re all hicks, if you know what I mean?” he said.

”Listen, if you’re a hard worker, the boss’ll probably take you on. We’ve had a few of the guys head home recently. Apart from work, cards and moonshine, there ain’t nothing else to do here, so if you can stick at it, I reckon you’re in with a chance. What do you say?”

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:31 pm
by jp1885

"Oh stop making such a scene you silly goose!" exclaims Ivy, moving forward to the stricken fellow.

"We mean you no harm. Let us help you down will you?" she continues, gesturing to Alex and William to assist.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:42 pm
by Philulhu
The man’s legs twitched a couple times then stopped. ”Yes, please,” came the muffled reply.

His shirt had gathered under his arms, exposing his stomach, showing a red mark from where the pivot had dragged all the way down.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:12 pm
by Silver Priest

Alex attempts to help the man back inside, trying to avert his eyes to give him some privacy. Being only human however, he struggles not to chuckle.

"Are you ready to answer some questions now?"

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:14 am
by Philulhu
Having been helped back to his feet, Haggerston winced as he tucked his shirt back into his trousers. He glanced at the door again but clearly didn’t fancy his chances of getting past his three interrogators and his shoulders slumped in defeat.

”What is it you want to know?” he asked, sullenly.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"First, why do you keep trying to run?" asks William.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:10 pm
by jp1885

“Carving snakes in a house of God? Are you running from vandalism charges, hm?” Ivy adds.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:23 pm
by Philulhu
”That wasn’t me! That was Brian, my friend! But he wasn’t of his right mind!” Haggerston spluttered, clearly offended at the suggestion. ”I would never desecrate the church in that manner!”

He took a deep breath and looked at them for a moment. Brian was lead astray but by whom, I don’t know. He was obsessed with snakes and I think it was a snake that killed him. He said someone - something - was haunting him! I didn’t trust you because I think those that haunted Brian are now haunting me!”

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some of us have tangled with the haunters before and lived," says William. "What's been happening to you that leads you to think they're haunting you?"

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 pm
by Philulhu
”The snakes! They’re everywhere since Brian died! I hear them in the grass when I go to church! I see them in my dreams!” Haggerston cried, with a haunted look on his face.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, those people are crazy about snakes," says William. "We came prepared for them. We brought some antivenom with us, if you'd like a dose to carry, just in case. Does the name Nyatanga mean anything to you?"

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:12 pm
by Philulhu
Haggerston nodded eagerly. ”Those damn snakes!” He looked around, as if they might somehow be in there with them.

”That name doesn’t mean anything to me. I don’t know about Brian - if it meant anything to him, he might have written about it in his journal.”

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 pm
by Silver Priest

"You're right to be cautious," Alex advises, "Some of us have dealt with snakes before, and they seem controlled by a higher power. We're actually here trying to fight against that, and whom we believe to be the ringleader; this Nyatanga.

"Do you know where his journal could be? And when did Brian fall in with a bad crowd?"

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 pm
by jp1885

“Was Brian obsessed with snakes when he started here, or did something happen to him while you were working?” asks Ivy.

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 am
by Philulhu
”I’m not sure when exactly it started, as he was already here when I arrived, but we became friends because we come from the same town, though we didn’t know each other then.” He smiled briefly at the memory of his friend, but that soon faded away.

”Snakes didn’t seem to bother him much at first but as the weeks passed he was more on edge. Eventually he became paranoid about them, refusing to go outside unless someone - usually me - had checked there were no snakes around… …” Haggerston’s voice trailed off. The loss of his friend was clearly very painful for him. He sniffed loudly and pilled a handkerchief from his pant’s pocket, rubbing at his eyes angrily.

Brian said he family back home - a wife and kid - so I asked my mom to try to track them down so I could return his belongings to them. I asked Henry Jones if I could look after them, but he refused and said they could only be returned to Brian’s family and he’d be holding onto them until he was told what to do. As far as I know, they’ll still be locked away in his office.”

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you help us get access to that journal?" asks William. "It could be the key to defeating the ones responsible for all this."

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:00 am
by Philulhu
”I dunno,” replied Haggerston, warily. ”His office is just like this but it’s in the middle of the site and he keeps it locked. You go poking around there in the middle of the day and someone’s bound to see you.”

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:15 pm
by jp1885

"Ugh, Jones - ghastly man!" exclaims Ivy "Is there anywhere we can secrete ourselves until he leaves the site? I'd rather he didn't know we were here, and I suspect he'll make you and your colleagues' lives even more unpleasant if we're discovered."

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
Haggerston shook his head. ”He lives on site, we pretty much all do, except he’s got his own place,” he said. ”Not his office, that’s separate, but it’s nearby.”

He looked pensive but said,”Look, I can meet you tonight but you’ll have to wait until it’s dark and people have settled down. Say 11.00pm?”

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds good to me," says William.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 am
by Silver Priest

Alex also nods. "Until then, try to stay inside as much as you can," he advises. "and away from snakes."

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:20 am
by Philulhu
”Not many snakes here in the compound. I think the noise of the drilling disturbs them. It’s out there, that’s the issue,” said Haggerston nodding in the direction of the town, which could be seen through the window. ”I’d better go before I’m missed. I’ll see you tonight. Come to the gate and I’ll look out for you.” He nodded and slipped out the door, making sure no one was watching before he stepped outside.

OK, what are your plans for the rest of the day?

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:56 am
by jp1885

“One last thing: what was Brian’s surname?” Ivy asks.

If it’s possible, Ivy wants to look into Brian’s background and reports of his death.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:19 pm
by Philulhu
Tucker, Brian Tucker, said Haggerston as he leaves.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

I'd like to help with the research too, and if there's time also talk to the priests about Brian Tucker.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:37 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex will also help with some research. We should probably find Lawrence as well.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:57 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   OK, so where would you like to go first?  

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

Let's collect Lawrence first and then go do research. We'll better know what to ask the priests after that.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:11 am
by Philulhu
As the three of them left the bunk room and headed out of the compound in the direction of the town, they spotted Lawrence in the distance. He appeared to be in conversation with two oilmen next to the oil storage pits.

He looked like he’d been rolling around in the dirt, but the conversation seemed friendly enough.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we wait for him to finish the conversation?" asks William.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:45 am
by Bullfrog
"I think I could probably manage working here. I'm good with machines, you see- real good." Lawrence says, reconsidering some plans; if he could get a position here, he could easily dig deeper into the strangeness that's taken root in the pits. When God closes a door, he opens a window... Even if "God" is just another name for a horror that defies all explanation. "Electrical, mechanical; you name it, I can work with it."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:39 am
by Silver Priest

"We probably should, if only to avoid more of a connection being established between us all."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:52 pm
by jp1885

"Agreed. Let us hang back and watch these fellows at work while Lawrence does... whatever it is he's doing," says Ivy.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
The two men lead the way into the camp, taking Lawrence to see Henry Jones.

OOC:   Please continue here: Working for the Man  

They saw Lawrence talking to the two men then they appeared to reach an agreement and all three headed into the compound.

OOC:   Lawrence is continuing in a separate thread so we can drop the spoiler buttons going forward.  

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess he knows what he's doing," says William. "I don't want to leave him by himself, but I also don't want to interfere now that he's in their good graces."

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 am
by Silver Priest
"Well we do have some leads we can research," Alex points out. "Lawrence is likely safe here during the day, and I'm sure he'll head back to the house whenever he's done here. We can meet him there and fill him in on what we've found out."

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says William. "Let's go."

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 pm
by Philulhu
Leaving Lawrence behind, the three returned to the village.

Where are you planning to start your research?

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:11 pm
by jp1885
If we're looking into Brian's death, is there a local coroner we could talk to? Failing that, any newspaper reports? Otherwise we could speak to the good Fathers or just try to pick up local gossip.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:21 am
by Philulhu
Re: Coroners & newspapers - You don’t recall coming across anything like that since arriving.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Then we should go talk to the priests.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:45 pm
by jp1885
Agreed.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Brian Tucker?” said Father Ortega, when they approached him at the church. “Why, yes. He’s the poor fellow buried outside. I didn’t attend to him - I was too busy dealing with Billy Trahan on account of his wife leaving, so Father Daigle took care of his funeral.”

They found the older priest by his wife’s grave. He looked up as they drew closer and nodded when they mentioned Brian Tucker’s name. ”There he is, poor fellow,” pointing to the grave next to his wife’s.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"What exactly were the circumstances of his death?" asks William.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:04 pm
by jp1885

Ivy lets William continue with his questions, but frowns. Billy Trahan’s name has cropped up before. There’s no need to suspect the unfortunate fellow of anything untoward, but, lacking any other leads and nothing to do until midnight, perhaps it’s worth paying him a visit?

“Does Mr. Trahan live nearby?” she asks.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:47 am
by Philulhu
”It was very sad,” said Father Daigle, standing up. ”He came here to work, I understand. A lot of fellas do, without really understanding what the work entails or just how isolated it can be here. He missed his wife and little girl but he said he couldn’t find work back home so came out here to try to provide for them. Can’t blame him for trying, I suppose.”

”He started coming to church more regularly towards the end of last year. I think he saw it as a way of dealing with the loneliness but he really got into it in a big way. He was fascinated by the story of the creation - Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden - but most of all about the serpent and how it tempted them into wickedness. Brian became obsessed as the months went by. Every time we had Bible study, he was there, but he always wanted to turn the conversation around the serpent. Why did Satan choose that form? Could there be other serpents seeking to lead him from the path of righteousness? Like I say, an obsession.”

”Eventually, I had to say something as it was affecting the other parishioners who attended. I suggested we might talk about other aspects of the Bible but he always turned the conversation around. I was quite firm with him and he didn’t take it well. Said the church was rejecting him…” The old priest paused, looking down sadly at Brian’s grave. ”The next time I saw him, he was in a bad way. His health had deteriorated and it was like he was hallucinating. He said he saw snakes everywhere. He became really paranoid about them. He used to disturb my sermons with his ranting and I’d made my mind up to say something, but he didn’t show up for church that night. It was only next day that I heard he’d been found dead, out by those oil pits, bitten more than a dozen times by snakes…”

= = =

Billy Trahan?” said Father Ortega. “He lives just a few doors down from Mrs Hebert. His wife leaving him hit him hard though.”

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:08 am
by Silver Priest
"Sounds as though he had reason to fear them," Alex observes. "Though a man with such an obsession may well have sought them out, perhaps in a misguided attempt to kill them and be free of the hold he felt they had on him. A tragedy regardless. Are snake attacks common in these parts?"

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"His friend Andre Haggerston told us that Brian Tucker was responsible for carving the snake," says William. "His fear and obsession must have gotten the better of him. Mr. Haggerston is also terrified of snakes, no doubt because of what happened to his friend, and that they'll kill him. I gave him a dose of antivenom, which may make him feel better, but I don't know if it will be of much help if he gets bitten as many times as his friend did. I think he could benefit from your counsel."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 am
by Philulhu
”Common? Not especially,” said Father Daigle. ”Perhaps not more than one or two year, and Mr Tucker is the only one I can recall who died as a result of being bitten.”

”And please tell Mr Haggerston that he’s welcome to come to the church at any time. Father Ortega will be happy to talk to him.”

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I will, the next time I see him," says William.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 am
by Philulhu
Anything else you want to ask or are you pursuing any other lines of enquiry?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:33 pm
by jp1885

"Did the unfortunate Mr. Tucker tell you any of his life history? Where he came from? His previous occupations?" asks Ivy.

If there's nowhere else where we can research Brian's life and death, we could pay Billy Trahan a visit.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have no further questions at this time. Your witness."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:27 am
by Philulhu
”I know he had a wife and child,” replied Father Daigle. ”But he didn’t say much about his life prior to moving here. I think he might have mentioned he was a busboy in a family restaurant, but I really can’t be sure.”

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 pm
by jp1885

"A very sad situation," say Ivy. "Poor fellow. Thank you for answering our questions - I hope we're not making ourselves too onerous"

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:02 pm
by Silver Priest
"We do appreciate your help," Alex adds."For now, I think paying Mr. Trahan a visit and seeing if he's up for company is an excellent idea."

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:10 am
by Philulhu
Saturday March 14th, 1931 1.30pm
Trahan House, Middle Ridge Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Compared to Mrs Hebert’s immaculate house two doors down, the garden of the Trahan house was a mess. The grass hadn’t been cut, the picket fence had a couple of broken panels and the paintwork was peeling. As they approached the front door, they saw a couple of cardboard boxes full of empty bottles, just left to one side.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

William examines the bottles, checking for labels that might indicate what their contents had been.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:11 pm
by Philulhu
There were no labels but with a sniff at the neck of the bottle, the contents were unmistakable - moonshine!

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:07 pm
by jp1885

Ivy's nose wrinkles in disgust as she sniffs the bottle.

"Another weak-willed man seeking solace in alcohol," she spits. "What are the odds on either a morose drunk or an angry one?"

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:32 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex resists the urge to haul the man in, before remembering he does not have arrest authority down here.

"Hopefully he can provide some information to us, but Its entirely possible his problems have nothing to do what we are interested in. Let's keep a skeptical ear for now."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I suspected as much," says William. "Let's hope he's in a morose mood and not an angry one," says William. "Shall we knock?"

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 am
by Philulhu

As they stood by the front door, a man stumbled around the corner from the rear of the property. “Who the hell are you? Lawyers?” he slurred, as he started digging the bottles, trying to find one that wasn’t empty.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lawyers, sir?" asks William, wondering if it's that obvious. "Why would you be expecting lawyers?"

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:15 am
by Philulhu
“My damned wife! Wasn’t here more’n five minutes and she’s still chasing me for alimony!” He tipped the box onto the porch, groused when he saw all the bottles were empty, and kicked one of them into the long grass of his front lawn.

“Well, if you ain’t lawyers, who are you and what the hell do you want?”

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry to hear that," says William. "I'm William Preston. My friends and I are only here for a week. We heard you've arrived here fairly recently, and we wanted to ask you a few questions."

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:11 am
by Philulhu
The man frowned. “I don’t know where you got your information from, Mr Preston,” he said, swaying slightly. “But there’s been Trahans living here in Johnson Bayou for almost 200 years!”

He squinted at them, then shook his head. “I wus working in N’Orleans for three months. That’s where we met. Well, we met in a bar, truth be told. It was love at first sight and we wus married before I came home again. She came with me, naturally, but she never settled here. Too quiet for her, and her and mama didn’t get on.” He shrugged defiantly. ”You happy now? You got what you wanted?”

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am
by Silver Priest
"Did she say anything to you before she left? Leave a note or anything of the sort?" Alex wonders if there may have been foul play involved.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 pm
by jp1885

"Perhaps, before we continue this conversation, we should step inside," Ivy suggests. "If you'll permit us Mr. Trahan."

She looks around, before leaning in to take the man into her confidence (and steeling herself against his boozy breath).

"The oil company is not happy with us poking around and we all know how un-neighbourly they can be to you good townsfolk."

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"My apologies," says William. "It was your wife who moved here recently. You came back with her."

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:38 am
by Philulhu
Trahan frowned at Ivy’s suggestion that they should step inside. “Who are you people?” he asked, wondering why he should let some complete strangers into his house.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:25 pm
by jp1885

"We're journalists," Ivy declares. "Investigating how the oil company is destroying your community. Spoiling the land, harassing the locals..." she pauses for effect.

"...turning the heads of young women..." she adds, as if the oil field was responsible for the breakdown of the man's marriage.

"We'll pay for good stories of course," she continues, adding the promise of booze money to sweeten the deal.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:14 am
by Philulhu
It wasn’t difficult to see the look on Trahan’s face change when Ivy mentioned money. He looked at his visitors for a moment then pushed open the front door.

Inside was tidier than expected, although the blinds were drawn, shutting out the daylight. If his wife had managed to stamp anything of her personality or her femininity in her short stay, it must have been banished after she left because the decor was that of a committed bachelor. A couple of cheap prints sat uninspiringly next to the fireplace, above which an antique hunting rifle was mounted.

As Trahan opened the blinds, he bade them take a seat, while he whipped away the drinks tumbler and ashtray that were sat on the occasional table by an armchair. “OK, so what can I tell you?” he asked.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:29 am
by Silver Priest
Alex repeats his question. "Did she say anything prior to leaving?'

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"What do you know about Brian Tucker, and his death?" asks William.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:54 am
by Philulhu
Trahan glanced at a photograph frame that lay face down on the table. “She said she was bored, wanted to go places. If you’ve been here more than a couple of days, then you’ll know there ain’t much ‘going out’ places here. Church and a potluck on Saturday night, if you’re lucky.”

“Me? I’m happy with that, but she’s a city girl and couldn’t get used to it. Her and mama fell out too, and that didn’t help. Mama’s got used to looking after me since my dad passed and she was feeling like a spare part once I got married.”

He looked at William. ”Who’s Brian Tucker?” he asked.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 pm
by jp1885

"Did she leave any belongings behind?" Ivy asks

"And would you mind if I took a look at her photograph?" she reaches forward to pick up the picture frame.

"Does your mother live nearby?" she continues.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:47 am
by Philulhu
Trahan frowned but nodded at Ivy’s request, handing her the photo frame. Turning it over, she saw a photograph of Trahan and a rather pretty young woman, probably ten years younger than him. Although not formally posed, it looked to be on their wedding day. She had flowers in her hair and Trahan looked smart, clean shaven and his hair neatly oiled in place.

“Mama lives just a few doors down,” said Trahan. ”My wife didn’t have much to bring and I don’t think she left anything behind.”

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:11 am
by Silver Priest
"Mr. Tucker was one of the oil workers. He developed a fear of snakes that turned out to be well advised; he was found dead from being bitten a number of times."

Alex is beginning to suspect this is all irrelevant to their mission here, but remains polite. "You both seemed so happy then. I'm sorry for the way things turned out. Have you considered following her to the city and seeing if you could work something out? You don't seem happy here.."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

William knows Alex means well, but he doesn't think Trahan will appreciate it.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am
by Philulhu
Trahan shook his head. “I heard of a man being bitten, but didn’t know his name,” he said.

“As for my wife, she said I could go with her but she was quite clear that Mama wouldn’t be welcome.” He shrugged, sadly. ”I was caught between a rock and a hard place, and I couldn’t leave Mama. Not on her own. She wouldn’t admit it, but her health ain’t great and she needs me around.”

He shook his head again, turning away so his visitors couldn’t see the tears that pricked his eyes. After a moment, he reached out and took a Bible from off the shelf. “This was her’s. It isn’t much use to me,” he said, handing it to Ivy.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"You might be surprised by how useful a Bible could be," says William.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 am
by Philulhu
Trahan nodded. “You can keep it. My folks brought me up right, so I’ve my own over there,” he said, pointing at the bookshelves.

“I ain’t been to church since my wife left but perhaps it’s time again. She was so pretty… … I was so proud to have her on my arm. And we know what they say about pride…” He looked around, as if seeing the room through a fresh pair of eyes. ”If you folks will excuse me, I think I’ve got some tidying up to do.”

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says William. "Going back to church is a good idea. I think they can help you there."

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:34 pm
by jp1885

While the menfolk talk, Ivy takes a look through the bible. Assuming it is a normal bible, she looks for annotations, underscored passages and other marginalia.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:32 pm
by Silver Priest
At least their visit had done some good, even if it was unrelated to their primary objective for being here.

"I wish you the best, Mr. Trahan. If you'll forgive me for being forward, should your mother ever sadly pass, I think you should go after her. There seems nothing else keeping you here, and you're still a relatively young man. You should not spend the rest of your life suffering and wondering what could have been." It was perhaps somewhat ironic the detective was offering relationship advise, but years of quiet observation had left him with some wisdom.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 pm
by Philulhu
Trahan nodded sadly, shaking their hands as they left.

Library use, please.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:28 pm
by jp1885

[7] = 7
Library Use 66 1d100: [ 7 ] = 7

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:26 am
by Philulhu
As the door closed behind them and the lock clicked, Ivy let the pages of the Bible riffle through her fingers. She saw no notes nor annotations and the pages had a crispness that suggested it was little used.

Nine-tenths of the way through, the pages fell open, a bookmark placed underneath a verse from Romans:

’3:13 - Their throat is like an open place of death; with their tongues they have said what is not true: the poison of snakes is under their lips.’

As a sliver of ice slid down her spine, Ivy felt her thumb unconsciously brush over the bookmark, feeling the multiple, overlapping bumps. She lifted her thumb and looked at the snakeskin bookmark beneath… …

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:14 pm
by jp1885

Grim-faced, Ivy holds up the snakeskin bookmark for the others to see.

"A placeholder in Romans - ’3:13 - Their throat is like an open place of death; with their tongues they have said what is not true: the poison of snakes is under their lips.’"

"Coincidence do you think? We should speak to Trahan's mother - clearly she knew something was up."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I had a feeling she would have made notes," says William. "Good catch. That's definitely relevant. Yes, let's talk to his mother next."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
Saturday March 14th, 1931 2.00pm
Trahan Bungalow, Middle Ridge Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

A few doors down from Billy Trahan’s house, the mailbox outside a bungalow declared that it belonged to another member of the Trahan family. A white-haired old lady sat on a rocking chair on her porch, staring at them as they approached.

”Who are you and what did you want with my Billy?” she snapped.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good day, ma'am," says William, tipping his hat. "My name is William. My friends and I are visitors, and we just wanted to talk to Billy and ask him a few questions. We'd like to ask you some questions too, if you can spare a few minutes of your time."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:09 am
by Philulhu
”Questions? What questions?” the old lady asked, her eyes narrowing.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we asked him about his wife," says William. "He gave us a Bible she left behind, and she had marked an interesting verse."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:29 am
by Silver Priest
Alex smiles and offers a nod, thinking this woman could give Ivy a run for her money when it came to intensity.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:47 am
by Philulhu
”Who do you think you’re nodding at?!” the old lady snapped at Alex.

”And she had a Bible, did she? Wonders will never cease! Surprised that little golddigger could pick up the good book without setting herself on fire!!”

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"The verse she marked was Romans 3:13," says William. "'Their throat is like an open place of death; with their tongues they have said what is not true: the poison of snakes is under their lips.' Do you have any idea why that verse would be significant to her? The bookmark was made of snakeskin too."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:00 am
by Philulhu
”’cause she’s a snake, would be my guess! I don’t know where she’d have got that!” snapped the old woman. ”I told Billy she was a no-good hussy! Wouldn’t surprise me if she’d been fooling around while he was at work. She was always going here and there after he took himself off to work in the mornings!”

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where did she go?" asks William.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 am
by Philulhu
”All over! Sometimes she was out the door as soon as Billy had gone to work. She didn’t bother washing the dishes first!” grumbled the old woman.

”She’d talk to anyone. I saw her with that young priest more’n once, but she could be out until Billy was due home from work. I couldn’t see where she went from here, but I’d see her scurrying back and rushing around to make the place look presentable so as he didn’t get suspicious!”

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, ma'am," says William, making a mental note to ask the priest.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   Any further questions for Mrs T?  

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 pm
by jp1885

Mention of the ‘young priest’ causes Ivy to frown. Were they mistaken in confiding with Father Ortega?

“What is your opinion of the new priest? Your daughter-in-law is clearly a flighty creature; it seems odd that Father Ortega would associate himself with such a woman.”

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 pm
by Philulhu
”Hmmph!” was the reply. ”I’m sure he’s had the calling, but I’d rather talk to someone my own age, rather than someone barely out of school!” she said.

Ivy was starting to get the impression that Mrs Trahan was the sort of older person who would complain about anything…

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex shares Ivy's suspicions. It does seem a bit odd Father Ortega did not mention this. Then again, wasn't confession supposed to be private? Maybe he was being paranoid; this work can make you so. And in this, he was not just talking about his time as a police officer.

"Thank you very much for your time ma'am," he offers, planning to confer with the others in private.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs Trahan just nodded grimly, waiting for them to leave.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

William leads the way toward the church, hoping to talk to the others on the way there.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:55 am
by Silver Priest
"We need to be careful around Father Ortega." Alex says once they're out of earshot. It may be nothing, but I did find it odd he's not brought his association with the younger Mrs.Trahan up. There's also the fact he's arrived in town while the older father is at least semi active; what does a town this size need with two religious leaders?"

"Regardless, we know Mrs. Trahan had some experience with snakes. Part of me wonders if she made it back home, but it seems like she did talk with Billy before leaving. I wonder if we can spare the time to track her down and learn anything she may know."

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I suspect they may have been having an affair," says William. "Still, we have to ask him about her. He's our best source of information about her obsession with snakes, and that has to be connected. We can't leave here for six more days, so we won't be able to track her down until afterwards. Leaving may have been all that kept her alive."

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:24 pm
by Philulhu
Saturday March 14th, 1931 2.30pm
Church of the Hallowed Souls, Coast Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

”Back so soon?” said Father Ortega with a smile when the party returned to the church. Father Daigle has gone for a rest, so it’s just me here at present.”

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm
by jp1885

"Is Father Daigie nearby?" Ivy asks - not entirely sure about either priest but more suspicious of Ortega. "I'd quite like to speak to him - I won't disturb him for long."

As she talks, she idly fingers the snakeskin bookmark, surreptitiously watching the young priest's reaction.

[37] = 37
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 37 ] = 37

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:31 pm
by Philulhu
”He’s just in the vestry,” said Father Ortega, nodding towards to rear of the church. He looked at the Bible Ivy carried and frowned, but didn’t say anything else.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

William also notices Father Ortega's reaction.

Psychology roll (67% skill) about Father Ortega:
d%

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm
by Philulhu
Any further questions/action?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods.

"I'll be sure not to disturb him for too long," she says, before heading to the vestry to locate the older priest.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:45 am
by Silver Priest
With a respectful nod, Alex follows.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"See you later, Father," says William, following both of them.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:26 pm
by Philulhu
The old priest frowned as he looked up at his guests. He had been sat in a chair with his eyes closed and his shoes off, and he blinked a few times before his guests came into focus. He glanced behind them to where Father Ortega sat in the main body of the church, clearly wondering why his naps was being disturbed.

”Is there something I can help you with?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:33 pm
by jp1885

Ivy repeats her 'fingering the snakeskin bookmark' routine.

"Please excuse our intrusion Father, but we found an interesting bible passage during our investigation. I thought you might be able to shed some light on its meaning - being more experienced than Father Ortega."

She repeats the underlined passage from Mrs. Trahan's bible, all the time studying the old priest's reaction.

[18] = 18
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 18 ] = 18

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

William also watches his reaction.

Psychology roll (67% skill) about Father Ortega:
d%

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:32 am
by Silver Priest
As does Alex.

1d100

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:29 pm
by Philulhu
”Romans 3:13. Paul speaks out against the sins of humanity. The poison he speaks of is falsehood, lying, and deception,” said Father Daigle.

He looked at them and frowned again. ”Is that it? I’m sure Father Ortega could have told you that!”

He seems annoyed that his rest has been disturbed, but that’s about it.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a reason we wanted to speak to you first," says William. "This verse was marked in a Bible that belonged to Billy Trahan's wife, but she left it behind when she went away. The verse mentions a snake, and the bookmark is made of snakeskin."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:29 am
by Silver Priest
"There's also the worker who was so afraid of snakes and died by them, along with the snake carved into one of the pews here. Seems to be a common concern amongst the town, or at least more common than one would think. Perhaps Billy's wife was harboring similar concerns and her leaving was not just a case of boredom and homesickness. Can you recall anything about her attitude and demeanor? Did she show an excessive fear of snakes?"

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:42 am
by Philulhu
”I don’t really recall, but then she spoke to Father Ortega, rather than me. Talking to some old clergyman about affairs of the heart don’t sit right with some of these youngsters,” replied Father Daigle.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"How often did she talk to him?" asks William.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:14 am
by Philulhu
”When she first got here, we’d see her on Sundays, with Billy and his mother, but as things started to go south with their marriage, she’d be here more frequently. I’m not sure she really knew anyone else her own age.”

Father Daigle looked at William carefully. ”Is there something behind these questions? Something you’re not telling me?”

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, Father, Billy Trahan's mother was making certain insinuations," says William.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 am
by Philulhu
Father Daigle’s gaze moved from William to Father Ortega and back again. ”So what ‘insinuations’ were those?”

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:57 pm
by Silver Priest
"That she was seeing him for more than spiritual ministering," Alex puts it as delicately as he can. "Of course, Mrs.Trahan seems to dislike everyone, but it did strike us as a bit odd that Father Ortega acted as though he barely knew the younger Mrs. Trahan."

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:07 pm
by jp1885

By no means a prude, Ivy nonetheless keeps her distance from the conversation, lest she embarrass Father Daigle. Instead, she cracks open the vestry door and peeks back out to Father Ortega, to see what he's up to.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's why we wanted to talk to you first," says William. "It's a delicate situation."

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:35 am
by Philulhu
Father Daigle’s studied his visitors for a long moment, then looked through the open door. Father Ortega, would you join us, please?”

”How can I help?” said the younger padre with a smile, as he entered the vestry.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex has a bad feeling about all this. Father Ortega would deny the accusations, and valid or not they'd lose their most sympathetic contacts in the town.It wasn't as though they even cared if he and Billy's wife were having improper relations (though he would certainly frown upon it.) they were trying to figure out if Father Ortega was corrupted some way into the cult. They would have to be very careful here.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have some questions about Billy Trahan's wife," says William, watching his reaction.

I already succeeded at a Psychology roll for him, 33 vs. a skill of 67%.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:49 am
by Philulhu
Father Ortega smile faltered as he glanced around the room, taking in the looks of his visitor’s. He frowned.

”What about her?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:07 pm
by Silver Priest
"Billy's mother--a thoroughly unpleasant woman if you'll forgive me saying so-- mentioned that you and her spoke often. We've discovered evidence that she may have been struck with the same obsession and fear of snakes that that poor oil worker was before his untimely demise. We were wondering if she mentioned anything about these concerns to you when you both spoke."

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:21 pm
by Philulhu
Father Ortega sighed with exasperation, then looked at Father Daigle for a moment.

”Please appreciate that I must observe the confidences of those to whom we minister.” he said. ”But I can tell you that Florence - Mrs Trahan junior - told me that her mother-in-law told that her son had married beneath her. She said nothing she did was good enough. That certainly didn’t help with marital harmony.”

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Understood, Father," says William. "She had nothing good to say about her daughter-in-law. I was hoping for a more unbiased perspective."

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:11 am
by Philulhu
”Of Billy Trahan’s mother?”asked Father Ortega. He looked about, then said bluntly, ”She’s a widow who’s been on her own too long and Billy is her only child. She claims to want grandchildren, though I doubt she’d know what to do with them if any arrived, but thought that Florence was too fly-by-night to have any.”

“I dare say they would have happened if they’d been left to their own devices, but Mrs Trahan insisted on interfering, picking up on anything she didn’t think was good enough until Florence had had enough and went back New Orleans.”

She’s her own - and Billy’s - worst enemy. Florence is a nice girl, but she wouldn’t let her be.”

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 am
by Silver Priest
"Our main concern was that the only verse Florence had marked in her bible concerns snakes. Combine this with the oil workers who were and are obsessed with them, and we feared she may have been touched by the same mania. But if in your counseling with her she never mentioned anything about them, perhaps the 'vipers' she feared were a more human type. You don't recall her ever mentioning anything that led you to believe she had an unhealthy phobia of snakes?."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Although given what happened to Brian Tucker, such a fear might be healthy," says William. "Was she still here when that happened?"

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm
by jp1885

"Perhaps someone else has been talking to them - filling their heads with talk of serpents." Ivy muses.

"Between the two of you, as priests of this town you must know whom confides in who among your congregation."

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm
by Philulhu
”She was here when Brian Tucker was here,” replied Father Ortega. ”I don’t think she had anything to do with him, though, so I’d be surprised if the two things were related. It could be a simple as someone moving from the city and finding the countryside full of creatures she wasn’t prepared for.”

He looked at Father Daigle, who shook his head. ”As clergymen, we are privy to any number of confidential matters that we cannot discuss without our parishioners express permission. I can tell you though, that no-one has raised any concerns about snakes with us,” continued Father Ortega.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Fathers," says William. "Was there anything about this town Florence liked?"

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 am
by Philulhu
”She said when she first arrived, everyone was really friendly and she enjoyed the peace and quiet, away from the city. As things started to go wrong with her marriage, though, she said she felt isolated and had no-one else to talk to. And nothing to do, either. She made her views clear on that,” said Ortega.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:31 pm
by Silver Priest
"A sad situation all around. From what little I've heard she and Billy truly loved each other, but were perhaps incompatible. I advised Billy to follow her back to New Orleans, but doubtful he will while his mother's still alive. Thank you both," he tells the fathers. "And we're very sorry for taking up your time with idle gossip. It's just that any mention of snakes really attracts our interest, because that's one of the signs used by the criminals we are investigating-- they have an unhealthy veneration for the creatures."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says William.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 am
by Philulhu
Where to next?

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 pm
by Silver Priest
Alexander waits until they get outside before he addresses the others. 'I'm afraid I have my suspicions about Father Ortega," he explains. "Based on what we know I cannot believe that marked reference to snakes is a coincidence, and if she spoke to the Father as much as he claims I can't imagine she'd not have brought up her concerns. I think we need to find a way to quietly investigate him further."

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"His reaction does strike me as suspicious," says William, "but he could merely be concealing an affair."

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:05 am
by Silver Priest
"It could be, but he specifically told us he'd never heard anything about snakes. If he was concealing an affair I don't see what he'd gain by not mentioning that. In some ways it could even serve as a convenient excuse; `I was counseling her so much because she had this fear.` "

Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a good point," says William. "How should we investigate him? If we ask around about him, word will get back to him. Maybe there are records somewhere, but he's relatively new here. That in itself could be an indication. Nyatanga only came here within the last year. Perhaps we could go back to Billy Trahan and ask him about what his mother insinuated about the priest and Florence. We could sound him out to see whether or not he believes it before we inquire further."

Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:41 pm
by Silver Priest
"That might work. Perhaps we should go back to him and ask him if Florence ever expressed fear of snakes specifically. Maybe she let something slip to him." He frowns. "I'm beginning to fear she never made it back to New Orleans. I pray very much that I am wrong."

Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:13 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   So what’s your next move?  

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Let's go see Billy again.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm
by Philulhu

Billy Trahan frowned as he saw his visitors approaching his porch again. “What can I do for you this time?” he asked.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We had a few more questions," says William. "Did your wife express a fear of snakes before she left?"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
“Snakes? I don’t know about snakes in particular, but she was always complaining about the critters around here. I tried to explain that’s what you get living in the country, hell, I even told her that you’re never more than six feet from a rat when you’re in the city, but that didn’t make her feel any better!”

“Is that what she was talking to the Reverend about? Snakes?”
he asked.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"We asked him that," says William, "but he didn't mention the snakes. Your mother had her own ideas about why she went to see him."

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:14 am
by Silver Priest
William just barely avoids shooting Alex an incredulous look. Though perhaps this was not a time for delicacy.

"That bible of hers had a verse bookmarked concerning vipers; 'Their throat is like an open place of death; with their tongues they have said what is not true: the poison of snakes is under their lips.' It just struck us as an odd verse to mark, with a snakeskin bookmark to boot. Of course it could be talking about deceitful people, but we've heard a few tales of some of the oil workers growing fearful of the snakes in these parts, and we wondered if she had developed the same fears, especially after Mr. Tucker's death."

Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:19 pm
by Philulhu
“Her and mama didn’t get on,” Billy replied sullenly. “I’ve told you that already. And other than him dyin’, I don’t know nothing about Brian Tucker, and nor do I know anything about my wife being afraid of snakes, that bookmark nor that passage you said was marked.”

“I see what you’re getting at though. You’re saying the Reverend was sweet on my wife, ain’t ya?”

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:30 am
by Silver Priest
"I would caution taking this with a grain of salt," Alex advises. "Your mother's the only one we've heard mention this, and she seemed to think the worst of your wife regardless." It's not quite the truth, but he sees no reason to make the poor man think his wife had been unfaithful.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"We don't know the people in question anywhere near as well as you do," says William. "What's your opinion of the Reverend?"

Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
“I spoke to him often after she left,” said Billy. “He was the one who kept my head above water. I can’t believe that he could sit there and talk to me like that if he’d been having an affair with my wife, I just can’t.”

Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"It does seem rather unlikely," says William. "Has he ever talked about snakes?"

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:20 am
by Silver Priest
"I also don't think he was having an affair," Alex tells the man. Its true; he fears far worse.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 pm
by jp1885

Ivy keeps her opinion of the whole sorry affair to herself.

In truth, she has little to add to the conversation, being unable to prove any wrongdoing by the priest or the wife.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:36 am
by Philulhu
“Garden of Eden stuff, but nothing more than that,” said Billy. “Just regular sermons, like they all do.”

He looked relieved at Alex’s words, seemingly unaffected by whether they might be true or not. “Thanks. That sets my mind at rest a little.”

Anything else you want to ask or happy to move on?

Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

I can't think of anything else.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:54 pm
by jp1885
Nor me.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:13 am
by Silver Priest

Ready to go. Should we wait to meet our oilman contact tonight? I can't think of anyone else to ask about the priest.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

What time of day is it now? We'll want to eat supper before we meet him.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
I’d say it’s mid-afternoon so you have a couple of hours to go back, rest up and have something to eat, before heading out again.

I just need an update from Bullfrog in the other thread and then I’ll update this one again.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
Saturday March 14th, 1931 6.00pm
Hebert House, Middle Ridge Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Mrs Hebert and her daughters prepared the evening meal, steamed fish with vegetables. As she laid the table, she noticed that only three of her guests were present.

”Will your friend by joining us?” she asked.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure," says William. "I haven't seen him for a while."

Posted: Wed May 29, 2024 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, I can put it in the oven but it won’t be at its best. If you’re going to be late, it would only be polite to let me know so as food isn’t wasted.” she said. She put Lawrence’s dinner on a covered plate in the oven and then they say down to eat their meal.

Half an hour later, they were drinking coffee and enjoying a stollen cake that Mrs Hebert’s mother had sent her, while the two girls set to washing the dishes. The clock struck 6.30pm.

There was still no sign of Lawrence.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:03 am
by Silver Priest
Alex makes polite small talk about Mrs Hebert's family and the cake, appreciating the small moment of the mundane amidst the horror.

But as the night grows longer, he finds himself frowning. Lawrence should be here by now. I hope he's alright. The fellow's not the most stable of us: I would hate to imagine he came into some trouble.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should go out and look for him," says William.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:39 am
by jp1885

Ivy nods her assent.

“He seems a headstrong fellow who can more than look after himself, but it’s concerning that he hasn’t returned.”

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:24 pm
by Silver Priest
"We do have a prior engagement for later this evening," Alex points out. "Perhaps we should see if we run into him there?"

Posted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he could show up there early, especially if he was already nearby," says William. "He might have eaten elsewhere."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:36 am
by Philulhu
OK, so what’s your plan?

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:42 pm
by Silver Priest

I think we want to go to our meeting as intended, keeping an eye out for any signs of Lawrence.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Agreed.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:00 am
by jp1885
Sounds good.