Ch.16e Night Moves (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Ch.16e Night Moves (Alex & Ivy)

Post by jp1885 »

“There’s no answer to that,” Ivy replies tartly. “Our forebears are guilty as charged.”

“Refuse our assistance if you wish, but, as we happen to be walking in the same direction, you will have to suffer our presence for a while.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Nashoba shrugged and crossed his arms across his chest. ”Enjoy your walk,” he said, apparently having decided not to go any further for now.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I understand if you don't want our help, " Alex concedes. " But for your own sake I hope you won't take Nyatanga's either." He risks saying the man's name, trying to gauge Nashoba's reaction to it.

1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Nashoba looked puzzled, then shrugged again, the name apparently meaning nothing to him.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

That confusion confirms Nashoba was not involved in any occult activities, at least to Alex. The detective felt pretty confident his confusion was genuine. Which meant that they likely had no reason to continue to investigate him.

"Well, I suppose we should head on. I wish you the best with your protest," he tells the man. "If you would like, please feel free to call upon us before we leave town. The least I would like to do is buy you lunch and hear of your grievances. Have a good night."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy nods curtly in agreement.

“If you’ll allow two white people to buy you lunch, that is. If it helps, we’re writing an article on how the oil company is despoiling the land here. Your perspective would be interesting, should you wish to air it.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Perhaps,” replied Nashoba, noncommittally.

He stood and watched, waiting for them to leave.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex moves past Nashoba, giving him a curt nod.

Once they are far enough away, he whispers to Ivy. "I buy that he has never heard of Nyatanga, so unless he's being very clever or working through intermediaries, I don't think he's involved. I would have loved to have seen what was in that can-- and how exactly he thought it would help him-- but it seems a less pressing concern at present. Should we head tot he church and see if we can catch any of the service?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“If that can is full of gasoline, can we afford to stand by?” Ivy replies. “As onerous as that foreman was, lives could be at risk.”

Can Ivy smell gasoline?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Not from where she’s stood, no.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex looks torn. "You think he's planning something alone those lines? It would explain the can, but so might other things. Though I doubt the can contains greeting cards. And he seems protective of it. Not to mention if he is planning something he's putting his own life at risk as well."

"I'm not sure what we can do, however. Alerting the locals will only draw harassment his way, and he seems unlikely to listen to us. If you truly think lives are at risk though I can force him to show us what's in the can. It's not something I especially want to do, but I want people to get hurt even less
."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I fear the only option is outright confrontation,” muses Ivy. “Telling him we’ve heard rumours of his plans and judging how dangerous it is.”

“At the very least we should say that if anything bad happens, we know he’ll be behind it.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex sighs. He never liked playing bad cop, but he didn't see another option here. It was going to make Nashoba resent them even more, but if people were in danger they owed it to the town to act.

He tries to catch up to Nashoba. If he is able to, he smiles apologetically, though it looks more like a grimace.

"Sorry to bother you again, but I could not let this go. Our friends mentioned you had a plan to fight back against the injustice laid at the feet of your people. I've noticed how you were hiding that can as well. I don't suppose you'd be willing to let us see what was inside? On my honor if it's not anything dangerous I'll be happy to let you on your way. Even if it is something you have ill intent with, we won't tell the townsfolk. We saw how vile men like Halpert are. But I will strongly encourage you to rethink your actions, because I don't want them to backfire on you and your people."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Nashoba looked Alex up and down, then shook his head. ”Nope. None of your business,” he said, and he carried on walking.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex hated what he was about to do. Try as he might to be the "hero", sometimes he had no choice but to be a villain.

He pulls out his gun and aims it at the man.

"Please, step away from the can, Mr. Nashoba. My colleague here will ensure the contents are safe. Once we confirm that we will be on our way."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy is about to deliver a good tongue-lashing to poor Nashoba, so perhaps he is fortunate that Alex acted first. Nonetheless, she wasn't expecting her friend to resort to such drastic action!

"We don't do this lightly," she manages to blurt out. "I implore you to co-operate."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Nashoba stopped walking and scowled at Alex. He still held the can in his hand. ”So much for being on our side. Another while man’s lie,” he said.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I am on your side," Alex protests, though the excuse sounds weak even to him. "But I need to prevent you from making a mistake that could harm you and your community. I've seen other men and women pushed to the edge-- seen the things they've done out of desperation. It never ended well for them." His mind flashes back to the French battlefield, and the devious nurse who deluded the wounded and herself into thinking they had stumbled upon a miracle. Instead they had unleashed a nightmare. Nashoba's desperation may have been entirely mundane, but any act of rebellion on his part was unlikely to end well for him.

"Please, Mr. Nashoba. Place the can on the ground and step back a few feet."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Some things never change,” said Nasoba. ”Bringing guns onto our lands and telling us what to do.” He didn’t seem phased by Alex’s actions and made no attempt to put down the can.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Oh confound it!" Ivy exclaims, actually stamping her foot at the man's intransigence.

"Enough of this! If there is gasoline in that can and you're planning on setting fire to the oilfield, refinery or whatever that ghastly foreman is guarding, then it's bound to go badly for you! If you think you're persecuted now, it'll be nothing compared to what'll happen when such a corporation throws it's resources against you! Do you think it's just you who will suffer, hm? No - your family, your people, your town - they too will get caught up in this!"

[34] = 34
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 34 ] = 34

Return to “Servants of the Lake”