Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Ch.14a. Inheritance (Alex & Ivy)

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex nods. "Understood, Detective Ripley." He smiles at Ivy. "No, they are good steps to take. I find myself in agreement. To the station then; it's always a good idea to begin by introducing yourself to local law enforcement, as a courtesy."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy nods, as if Alex disagreeing was never an option.

“Quite so,” she says, any irony in her companion’s part flying stratospherically over her head,
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Monday, September 1st, 1930 11.30am
Providence PD, Providence City Hall, R.I.

The Police Station was located in Providence City Hall, an imposing granite-faced building in the downtown area. Inside, Alex and Ivy found themselves somewhat taken aback by the grandeur of the entrance hall. They were still looking around when they were approached by a young officer, who introduced himself as Officer Lyon.

He lead the way through to the offices of the Police Department, and into the office of Captain Lawrence, a stocky ginger-haired Irishman, who was filling his pipe as they entered.

“Good morning,” he said genially, as they took the seats in front of his desk. “Good of your Captain to spare you. You’ve been briefed, I take it? Have you any questions before you get started?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Has anyone interviewed Mr. Winscott? If so, may we see the transcript?” Ivy asks.

“Additionally, did anyone contest the inheritance?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain Lawrence laughed awkwardly, taken aback by Ivy’s abrupt questions.

Captain Keats said you had a way about you,” he said with a wry grin. “As far as I’m aware, nobody has contested the will, nor has anyone had interviewed Mr Winscott. If I had detectives for that, well you wouldn’t be here now, would you?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Well quite,” Ivy replies, archly.

“I assume the Winscott’s haven’t come to the attention of the police before,” she says.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex opens his mouth to say something to Ivy, but closes it as he thinks better of it. He is silent the rest of the trip.

The rather impressive entrance takes the detective off guard.When introduced to the captain he opens his mouth to speak but finds Ivy jumps in ahead of him, all business as was usual. It seems her reputation was well earned.

"Good afternoon, Captain. Thank you for seeing us.

"I presume Mr. Winscott is well known throughout the community?" He asks. "What is known about him, and is he thought of as an individual of good moral character?
"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain Lawrence looked to Officer Lyon, who pulled out his notebook, turned over a couple of pages and said, Mr Winscott is a travel writer. Some of his work has been syndicated in the Journal and the Evening Gazette. It’s quite interesting…” Lyon caught the look from his Captain, cleared his throat and said, ”Our one and only dealing with Mr Winscott was when he reported an attempted burglary, but that was at his old address back in ‘24.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That's a long time for someone to hold a grudge, so it's likely not related. Do we know if anything was taken? If the case is still technically open, Ms. Ripley and I could pass ourselves off as investigating it in an attempt to scrounge up some leads. That could get us an interview with Mr. Winscott, hopefully without arousing his suspicion."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Officer Lyon checked his notebook. ”No sir, nothing was reported as stolen. Someone had tried to jemmy a windows but it seemed that Mr Winscott’s dog scared him off. Officers attended but I don’t think anyone was ever apprehended.”

He glanced at Captain Lawrence, then back to Alex. ”If you don’t mind me saying, Detective, we’re not in the habit of going back over cases like that. Turning up and asking questions like that might seem a little strange.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Nevertheless, it is something we can bring up in conversation with Winscott,” interjects Ivy.

She focussed her gaze on Officer Lyon.

“This telephone call you received. What was your impression of the caller? The call came from the payphone at Marconi’s Roman Gardens. Do you know the place? What kind of people frequent that establishment?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Agrieved, angry, even. He was slurring his words slightly.” Lyon paused and looked at his Captain.

Captain Lawrence sighed. “Marconi’s is a speakeasy, like half the joints in town. Probably more than half, if the truth be known. It’s well run, though - we don’t get any trouble there. Not that they get an easy ride, but there’s only so much we can do with the resources we have.”

He leaned forward and looked at Ivy and Alex. “Don’t get any ideas about going on some sort of crusade. That’s not your assignment here. We know our responsibilities under the Volstead Act and we’re doing our best. You stick to the Winscott case. You understand?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“We do not intend to go breaking up barrels,” sniffs Ivy. “But the call you received was made from there, so if the caller can be identified, he could explain himself.”

She tries not to look smug that she’s uncovering red something the local PD hasn’t.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain Lawrence’s smile faded somewhat and he sat back in his chair. “I can see by the look on your face that you’ve solved the case already. So please tell me, Detective, who killed Mrs Winscott? If you like, I’ll get Officer Lyon here to run down to the cells and get one ready, while you go and fetch your suspect.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Sarcasm does not become you,” says Ivy flatly.

“Though you make a valid point. How did Mrs. Winscott die? May we see the coroner’s report? ”

Ivy may lack the social graces required to defuse a tense situation (usually, as in this case, of her own making), but she can be quite adept at turning the subject around.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Lyon caught the look on his boss’ face and rushed to open the door. “You’ll find the coroner out there!” said Captain Lawrence firmly, as Lyon ushered them from the room and into the corridor beyond.

”I don’t think I’ve ever seen his face that colour before…” said Lyon, looking back at Lawrence’s door as if his boss might re-appear at any moment…
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Aw, I was having such fun, winding up authority figures!
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'm aware it's unusual, Captain, but it's certainly better than letting the man know that he's under suspicion of being involved in the murder of a relative.

"You're aware it's a speakeasy?" The words fill him with rightful indignation. Prohibition was the law, and these places operating with impunity angers him. But he also does not want to anger the locals, and it seemed a sore point for them. "Well, I suppose it allows us to keep an eye on local criminal elements better than if it was underground. Understood, Captain."

Ivy then decides to irritate Lawrence. Though if he's being honest, Alex thinks the man deserves it given his grasping dereliction of duty. He still gives a nod and "thank you" as they walk out, however.

"Perhaps you should let me take the lead with the coroner," he suggests to his partner, before the (probable) expression on her face makes him think better of it. "Do feel free to jump in if you think of anything pertinent, however!"

OOC:   Alex may need to make a san roll here in a few minutes-- I'm fairly certain Ivy's more intimidating than some of the horrors he's encountered.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The door’s just there. Ivy should feel free to go back in and see what it would take to get thrown in the cells… 😉
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The blow she took to the head hasn’t made her that stupid!

“Very well,” Ivy replies. “Perhaps you can elicit some more useful responses from these people than a mere woman such as I.”
Last edited by jp1885 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”