Page 1 of 1

Ch.14b. A Letter From a Friend (Jerry & William)

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:19 pm
by Philulhu
Sunday, August 31st, 1930 6.30pm
Arkham Asylum, Arkham, Mass.

79 Power Street,
College Hill,
Providence, R.I.

Dear Lawrence,

I hope you and your family are keeping well.

I remember you spoke to me the last time we met about some weird events you’d got mixed up in. You didn’t go into details but I could tell it had affected you deeply.

I don’t think this is in the same ballpark but I’ve found a strange tunnel under my house and to be honest, I wasn’t sure who else to call upon. If you’re able, please come and see me. I’m living in Providence, in a house I inherited from my late Aunt Florence.

If you’re able, please telegram and advise me when you’ll arrive. Feel free to bring any of those friends of yours you were telling me about - they’d be more than welcome!

Best wishes.

Your friend,

Joshua Winscott

Jerry finished reading the letter and looked across at his brother, who lay staring at the ceiling, unblinking, as he had every time that Jerry had visited over the past few weeks. He’d hoped that something in the letter might have elicited a response from Lawrence, but it wasn’t to be.

He heard the door open and looked up to see Lawrence’s friend, William, come into the room. A lawyer, no less! His brother was friends with a lawyer. Not that it was doing anything for him at the moment, however…

Re: Ch.14b. A Letter From a Friend (Jerry & William)

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 pm
by Bullfrog
"What in the hell have you gotten into, Lawrence?" Jerry mutters under his breath, knowing full well that his brother wasn't in any state to answer. He always figured that he would be the one to accidentally drag Lawrence into dangerous business, but with how cagey everyone had been about what happened to Lawrence, Jerry was starting to wonder just what kind of skeletons were hiding in his brother's closet.

Jerry abruptly turns to face William as he enters, surprised and perhaps a little shocked to see a visitor. The eldest of the Gilman brothers certainly isn't a pleasant sight, to say the least, with burn scars on his face that have twisted his expression into an ever-present sneer.
"Pleased to meet you, William. I grabbed this letter for my brother, thought that it'd maybe make him do something if he heard me read it, but the guy's still dead to the world. Go and have a look at it, yourself; I don't know anything about what kind of 'weird events' this Winscott guy is talking about."

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Count yourself lucky," says William, shaking his hand as he reads the letter. "There's a good reason Lawrence is here."

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:48 am
by Bullfrog
"I've seen this kind of stuff from men who fought in the war, and I know that my brother's never even fired a gun in anger, much less saw combat. So tell me, Mr. Preston, what did he see? I think I'm owed an explanation." Jerry leans forward, his voice taking on a threatening tone; it was clear that he did not take the news of what happened to Lawrence very well, and may have been looking for someone to blame.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you without his consent," says William. "I'd be betraying his confidence. Since his commitment I've been acting as his representative, and as a result anything he has told me is protected by attorney-client privilege."

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:48 pm
by Bullfrog
It's a tense few seconds as Jerry stares William down, but as a man with a lick of common sense he knows better than to punch a lawyer in the face.

"Fine. The man's only my brother." Jerry relents, although he remains bitter. "I'm gonna look into this Winscott matter, then; maybe I can get some straight answers out of it, and I haven't got anything else to do. Besides, there's a guy at the boarding house who keeps trying to steal my shoes when I'm around."

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:37 pm
by Philulhu
Such a delightful family, the Gilmans… 😉

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:09 pm
by Bullfrog
The family reunions are simply fantastic. Just don't bring fish. Grandfather goes into fits whenever he sees them. As a matter of fact, don't even mention fish.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:37 pm
by Philulhu
Brilliant! :lol:

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can help you check it out," says William.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:26 am
by Philulhu
How do you plan to get there, etc.?

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

While we could take the train, I think I'd rather drive there in my car. That gives more freedom of movement once we get there.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:48 am
by Philulhu
Whichever way you wish to travel is fine. Providence is around two hours away by car.

Will William be taking the delightful Jerry with him, or making him take the bus? 😉

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:11 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry has his own car, which he'll probably be taking. He's not too fond of lawyers, considering his own career.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:25 pm
by Philulhu
When do you plan to travel? Tonight? Tomorrow morning?

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy

I think it's better to wait for the morning.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 am
by Philulhu
OK, I’m presuming Jerry will do the same unless he plans to turn up and try and impose upon Joshua/sleep in his car?

What time do you plan to set off in the morning? Are you coordinating so you arrive at the same time? Providence is approximately two hours from Arkham, possibly longer depending up-on the mechanical state of Jerry’s car.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

I think we should travel at the same time. Dawn is good for me, but if Jerry would rather sleep in, I'll wait for him.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 am
by Bullfrog
Jerry's going to leave for Providence tonight. It certainly isn't the first time he's slept in his car, and it won't be the last.

The Jerrymobile isn't anything remarkable, but it isn't junk. Probably a Ford Model A coupe, or something tonthat effect.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

If you're driving there tonight, I will too. I'm not about to let you get your face et by a gribble.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am
by Philulhu
Keeper: Stand down gribbles, your time will come!

Gribbles: Awwww… … …

Sunday, August 31st, 1930 10.20pm
79 Power Street, College Hill, Providence, R.I.

It was getting dark by the time the two cars reached Providence and darker still when they eventually found Joshua Winscott’s address, not helped by the shroud of overgrown trees and vegetation that mostly obscured the house from the street.

From what they could see of it, the property looked to be dilapidated, with a solitary light burning in one of the downstairs windows.

Jerry and William will had time to pick up anything they want before heading to Providence. If there’s anything specific they’re taking with them, please let me know.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:54 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry grabbed a flashlight, his bag 'o tools, and a can of gasoline. You never know when the job calls!

Jerry treads up to the door and gives it a few hard knocks, intent on waking up anybody who might have been sleeping inside.
"This is Lawrence's brother! I got some questions for you!"

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:40 pm
by Philulhu
There was a noise from inside and the light moved closer to the window to the left of the front door. A tall, brown-haired man peered at Jerry through the glass. ”What’s that you say?” Lawrence’s brother? What are you doing here? Where’s Lawrence?”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:19 am
by Bullfrog
"He's in the nut-house. Lawrence lost his mind, and I can't get any straight answers about what happened to him out of anyone. Mr. Lawyer here," Jerry shoots a glare in William's direction, before looking back at Winscott. "Can't tell me a damn thing thanks to attorney-client privilege, so when I saw your letter come in, I figured I'd ask you about what Lawrence evidently got involved in. I also felt obliged to have a look at that tunnel on his behalf, since he's... Well, he's indisposed."

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"William Preston," says William, holding out a hand for a shake. "I'm a friend of Lawrence's. I'm sorry about his condition, but he is receiving the best care. Unfortunately, I can't go into any details without his permission."

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 am
by Philulhu
Winscott stood in the window, blinking awkwardly, then said. ”You’d better come in.” He moved away from window and moments later the front door was being unlocked and they were ushered inside.

The hallway was dark, except for the paraffin lamp that Winscott carried. He showed them through to the lounge, where he had been sat previously and asked them to take a seat. ”I’m Josh Winscott,” he said, shaking hands. ”Perhaps you’ve heard of me? The travel writer? Hmm, well. Perhaps not.”

He sat at a table in front of the window, which was strewn with papers. ”So, you’re Lawrence’s brother? Jerry, wasn’t it? And you’re Mr Preston - his attorney?” He nodded to himself. ”And you say Lawrence is in hospital. Poor fellow, I hope he’s on the mend soon.”

He paused to gather his thoughts for a moment, then glanced at Jerry. ”To answer your question, unfortunately I don’t know much about your brother’s activities. I was in Arkham a few months ago and I ran into Lawrence in a hush-hush bar. We knew each other vaguely from school - same year but different social circles - but we got talking in that way you do with people you know from school.”

”I said I was a travel writer and Lawrence said he had a tale that would make my hair curl! He told me this tale of a trip down to Louisiana where he’d run into some locals. He and his companions ended up being kidnapped and almost sacrificed to some crazy snake god that they worshipped. They managed to escape only to find themselves on a train with some giant bugs that were trying to eat them!” Winscott shook his head. ”He seemed to be pretty convinced about it but then he’d also had a few, so who knows? He might just have thought he’d have some fun at my expense.”

”That was the last time I saw your brother,” he said to Jerry. ”Truth be told, that was the first and last time I’d seen him since 1924 when I was in Arkham for Hester Phillips’ funeral. I’m not sure what made me write to him, to be honest, but I found this old tunnel under the house and I didn’t want to explore it on my own…” His voice tailed off and he shrugged, looking glum. ”It’s the lot of a travel writer, I guess. See the world but lose any friends along the way.”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's wise not to explore it alone," says William. "You never know what you'll find, and it could be unsafe."

I forgot to list what I'm taking last night. I have my pistol, extra ammo, a flashlight, a knife, some rope (in a backpack), and a canteen.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:31 pm
by Philulhu
”No, well certainly not tonight at any rate,” replied Winscott. He stood and moved over to the sideboard where a decanter and glasses stood.

”Can I offer you a brandy?” he asked. ”Or are you driving? Have you travelled far? Have you got a hotel for the night?”

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We drove from Arkham, each in our own car," says William. "I'll have to decline the drink, but thank you for your hospitality. We don't have a hotel room yet. We stopped here as soon as we arrived."

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:07 am
by Bullfrog
"I'll just sleep in the back of my car; I've done it before, I'll do it again. As for that brandy, I'll gladly take some." Jerry dismisses Joshua's concerns with a wave of his hand; he was no stranger to shirking the Volstead Act, especially with all the criminal types he rubbed elbows with. Besides, who was he to refuse such hospitality?
"Look, Lawrence isn't creative enough to make up a story like what you've told me, and that man can hold liquor like a barrel. He was either starting to go crazy by then, or those things really happened. Can't you tell me anything about this, William? For the love of God, he's just about the only family still willing to talk to me!"

Would a little Fast Talk suffice to get William to let out some of the truth?

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you," says William. "Maybe one day he'll be able to tell you himself, or he'll release me to tell you."

I think that's only meant to be used on NPCs.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:00 pm
by Philulhu
NPCs only, I’m afraid. You can’t use it to override a player’s own agency.

”I can offer you my couch and a blanket,” Winscott said to Jerry. ”Probably better than smelling of booze and asleep in your car. The police can be a little touchy about that. I’d offer you a bed but the place is so full of my Aunt’s possessions. She had a tendency to hoard things…” He shrugged apologetically.

”You’re also welcome to stay, Mr Preston. It will save you the time and trouble of finding a hotel, although the accommodation won’t be as comfortable as you might find in town.”

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Winscott, I'll take you up on that offer," says William.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
”In which case, feel free to help yourself to a brandy while I fetch some blankets,” Winscott smiled as he left the room, and his steps could be heard on the stairs as he made his way to fetch them.

Anything you want to do before he returns?

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Reasoning in his lawyer's mind that the Volstead Act only prohibits the transport, purchase, and sale of alcohol and not giving it away or consuming it, and that he isn't going to be driving tonight after all, William accepts the proffered drink.

No, that's it.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 pm
by Philulhu
Winscott returned shortly with blankets and pillows and set about clearing some of the books and papers that littered the two couches in the room. Once they were clear, he said, ”I’ll bid you good night, gentlemen. I’ve got an appointment with my attorney in the morning but I expect I should be home after lunch. Perhaps we might talk a bit more about the tunnels then and perhaps even take a look, eh?” He smiled, nodded goodnight and headed upstairs to bed.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:08 am
by Bullfrog
"Well, here's to not sleeping in my car tonight!" Jerry raises his glass in a mock-toast and downs the brandy as if it were water in a desert. He sets his glass aside on a rather crowded table and seats himself on a couch, looking around at the assorted papers and books strewn about the room; perhaps that aunt had something interesting or, better yet, valuable lying around.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks again, and good night," says William to Winscott. He settled into the other couch to get some sleep.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:22 am
by Philulhu
The night is yours, if you want to do anything before the morning?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry is going to have a look through the aunt's belongings to see if he can find any indication as to why the house has a tunnel in it.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 am
by Philulhu
Amongst the papers and books on the desk, Jerry found Winscott’s note book. Written on one of the pages were his rough notes:

‘Elijah…. …. Tunnels… …. Slavery??’

Under the notebook was an older, hardbound book dated from 1798 and entitled ‘Who’s Who of Providence.’ Quite a slim volume, it was easy to spot where the corner of one of the pages had been folded over. Turning to that page, Jerry spotted the entry for Elijah Winscott listed him as living at the Power Street address and his occupation as a businessman, with interests in textiles, rum and slaves.

I’ll take a spot hidden for some further information.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 am
by Bullfrog
Spot Hidden 55%: 1d100

Jerry is no stranger to looking through the belongings of others.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

William had been planning to just sleep, but he gets curious about what Jerry is doing and observes.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 am
by Philulhu
Buried near the bottom of the pile of paper was a letter. Obviously old to judge by the quality of the paper, it looked to refer to an incident at the Winscott house…

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:55 am
by Bullfrog
"What the hell...?" Jerry mumbles to himself, a jolt of cold running down his spine as he reads the letter's unnerving account. It could have been the ramblings of an old man driven mad by impending death, but those tunnels were real, likewise the bricks that had once sealed them. Who could have possibly dug those tunnels before they were discovered? Jerry knew nothing about nature, but if it was an animal that tore those people to shreds, he certainly couldn't imagine it digging a tunnel all the way from the river.
"William, I need to know what you make of this."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

William reads the letter. "The importation of slaves was sunset after 1808," he says. "It was in the Constitution. The slave trade continued, however. Slaves could still be bought and sold domestically until 1865, and any baby born to a slave became a slave automatically. There were some like this Elijah Winscott who broke the law and smuggled in slaves from overseas after 1808. He used the preexisting tunnel and expanded it to do that. I'm not sure what purpose the original tunnel had, but there was clearly something dangerous in it. I was right to come armed."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:49 am
by Philulhu
I’ll take an IDEA roll if you need more information about the original purpose of the tunnel.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:12 pm
by Bullfrog
INT 14×5 (70%): 1d100

Jerry's mind instantly jumps to a possible answer.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:55 pm
by Philulhu
It occurred to Jerry (although he wouldn’t admit to the nefarious activities that lead him to that knowledge) that the tunnels that Winscott referred to might well be drainage tunnels, taking surface water (and sometimes worse) down to Narragansett Bay.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

William comes to a similar conclusion.

Idea roll (80% stat) about the tunnel:
d%

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:42 am
by Bullfrog
"Old Winscott must have dug into some drainage tunnels and his men ran into something down there. It could have been some kind of animal living in there, maybe a bear or something like that, but I don't know a thing about nature. Whatever it is, it should be dead by now." Jerry states, setting the letter back down on the pile of papers. He came to Providence armed, himself, but somehow that didn't make the idea of descending into a dark tunnel where a bunch of men were torn to bits by some sort of unknown animal any more appealing.
"Unless you think it's something different, William, and considering that you're glad you brought that gun with you, I think you might. You seem to know about this stuff, since Lawrence must have trusted you to keep his secrets."
Even if you won't tell me any of them, Jerry thinks to himself.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"The original beast or beasts that tore those men apart has no doubt long since died," says William, "but there may be descendants. Let's just say we should be armed for bear, or something like that."

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:58 am
by Philulhu
What are your plans? Going to sleep?

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

That's my plan. In the morning we should get a couple of shotguns before we start actually exploring the tunnel.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:43 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry's going to sleep. When it comes to arming up, he absolutely knows how to put together some firebombs and may well do that; after all, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 8.00am

Both Jerry and William had slept peacefully and they were woken by the sound of Winscott moving around in the kitchen. Shortly after, he knocked on the door, asked if they were awake and offered them breakfast. As they ate, he said, ”After I’ve seen my attorney I have some calls to make but if you’d to meet me back here later this afternoon then we might take a look at those tunnels?”

Whilst Winscott was happy for J & W to stay the night before, he isn’t planning to leave them in the house while he’s out. That will give you time to purchase the shotguns (I’m not aware of any gun control at this time). Likewise the components for firebombs (I’m assuming a Molotov cocktail so fuel, a wick and a bottle) are readily available. Anything else you want to pick up before you return later?

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"That works for me," says William. "We've got some things to do around town in the meantime."

It would be great if we could pick up some of those miners' headlamps so we can have light while keeping both our hands free. It's kind of hard to use a shotgun one-handed. ;)

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:03 pm
by Bullfrog
"I had a look through some of your aunt's papers law night, and I came across something real interesting." Jerry states, setting the unusual letter he found last night on the kitchen table for Winscott to see. "Old Elijah dug into an old drainage tunnel so be could smuggle slaves onto the property. Evidently, something down there ripped a bunch of men apart, and it gave him such a scare that he bricked the tunnel off from the rest of the house."

Headlamps sound good to me. Jerry's probably going to grab some extra ammo for his pistol, too. His Shotgun skill isn't too impressive, and it would be a good idea to keep a hand free to fling some firebombs.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 am
by Philulhu
Winscott looked a bit put out that Jerry had been looking through his personal papers. ”I’d rather you hadn’t gone through my papers,” he said, with a slightly hurt tone, as if the trust that he had shown them in allowing them to stay had not been reciprocated.

He was obviously trying not to show it too much, but his manner was now more diffident. ”Those letters were very old and I shouldn’t imagine anything that was living then could still be living now, but we can look later. Now if you’ve finished, I need to be on my way.”

Winscott will show you out and lock up before he heads into town. Shotguns and ammunition (both for shotguns and pistols) are readily available but you’re miles from any subterranean mining operations so I don’t think head lamps would be available locally. There’s always Sears & Roebuck mail order but they probably wouldn’t arrive for a few days. If there’s nothing else, I’ll move us on tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Yeah, I think that's all. Maybe we can tape our flashlights under the barrels of our shotguns.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:10 am
by Bullfrog
That should be all for me, as well. Since Jerry has Electrical Repair, and he keeps his tools in the car, it really wouldn't be hard for him to create some rudimentary headlamps.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:03 pm
by Philulhu
Monday, September 1st, 1930 4.00pm

The weather had fortunately been clement as Jerry and William had spent the day in Providence, shopping for the items they needed.

As agreed with Winscott, they returned at 4.00pm. His car was on the drive, but a knock at the door of the house was unanswered.

Creating usable head lamps will require a successful Electrical Repair roll.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

William looks at the windows to see if lights are on inside.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:30 am
by Bullfrog
"Winscott! We're here!" Jerry shouts, testing the door to see if it's locked. He wasn't sure what was keeping Winscott from answering the door, but this situation did not bode well. Surely, that guy hadn't gone down into that tunnel by himself...

Electrical Repair 60%: 1d100

Jerry's helmets turned out just fine. They aren't impressive pieces by any means, but they work.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 am
by Philulhu
The front door opened but Jerry’s call went unanswered. A light burned in the room where they had stayed the night before and a second further down the hallway in what appeared to be a kitchen.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"He did previously invite us to return at 4:00," says William. "Legally, I think we can go inside."

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:15 pm
by Philulhu
Going in?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:36 am
by Bullfrog
"William, start bringing in the guns and equipment. I'm gonna check the house for Winscott."
Jerry shoulders the door open, pacing towards the kitchen; judging by the light, Winscott must have been in there at some point.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

William collects the purchased stuff from the cars to bring it into the house.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:34 pm
by Philulhu
The house was quiet as Jerry made his way into the kitchen. It was a square room with doors that lead outside and to what appeared to be a small parlour, both of which were closed. Of more immediate interest to Jerry was a third door which stood ajar, beyond which stair lead down to a cellar, from which a faint light could be seen…

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 am
by Bullfrog
"Are you down there, Winscott?" Jerry calls out, descending the stairs down into the cellar. He couldn't imagine why Winscott would decide to go down there alone, but Jerry also really couldn't explain why he took that old letter so seriously; just a few days ago, he probably would have called the thing a hoax, but there was something about that haunted look in Lawrence's eyes that left Jerry wondering if there was really something to all of this.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:35 am
by Philulhu
William could hear Jerry call out Winscott’s name as he struggled to carry shotguns and their other equipment into the house.

Down below, a single naked lightbulb hanging from a makeshift hook illuminated the brick-walled cellar. In one wall, there was a man-sized hole, leading into a dark area beyond. Next to it was a couple of packing crates that looked to have been used as a makeshift table and chair. On the ‘table’ a cup of coffee steamed gently, but of Winscott, there was no sign.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:18 am
by Bullfrog
"Winscott?"
Jerry calls out again, this time his voice trailing off as he notices the still-hot coffee. He looks around the room in search of anything that could hint at what had happened to Winscott; surely, he wouldn't just walk off into the tunnels on a whim.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Any trace of them?" calls William as he unloads the gear in the house.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:20 am
by Philulhu
Jerry couldn’t see anything and the rest of the house was eerily quiet.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:48 am
by Bullfrog
Jerry ascends the stairs and puts on one of his makeshift mining helmets, clearly confused and off-put by the unusual scene in the basement.
"Winscott's gone, left nothing but a cup of coffee behind, and it was still steaming. It's like he decided to just go off on a casual stroll into the tunnels! He must have gone deep, too, because he didn't call back to me." Jerry states as he fills a jar with gasoline, putting a scrap of thin cloth over the mouth before screwing on the lid. It is quite clear that he has done this before.
"Ever seen one of these gas bombs? I hope we won't need it, but if there's some kind of big animal down there, this will burn the hell out of it, or at least scare the thing off."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, but it could be useful," says William, also gearing up now that the equipment is inside. "Just be careful in confined spaces, which I expect most of the tunnel will be. Looks like we're going to have to go down there and look for him. I wonder where his wife went? Could she have gone down there with him? Whatever the case, we'd better find them before they run into trouble."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 am
by Philulhu
Stepping through the gap in the brick wall, Jerry and William found themselves in a brick-lined tunnel, dusty from the efforts made by Winscott to break through. By the light of their head lamps, they could see that the tunnel to their left shortly changed into a natural cavern, but that appeared to have collapsed some time ago.

To their right, the tunnel stretched away into the darkness. In the dust by their feet were solidarity footprints that lead in that direction.

How do you think the gas bombs will work? Presumably, when the lid is on, the cloth absorbs the fuel so it can be used as a wick, like a Molotov cocktail? But what stops it falling out when you attempt to throw it? Or do you light it and the fuel ignites immediately and then you have to throw it before the heat breaks the glass?

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like they went this way," says William, examining the footprints and trying to determine if there was one set or two, and whatever else he could determine from them, such as whether they were made by a man's or a woman's shoes.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 am
by Philulhu
The single tracks were made with a man’s shoe, size 9.5 if William was any judge. By the light from his head torch, he could see that they tracked through the dust for half a dozen yards until that ran out, then left a few dusty footprints of their own before they faded away too.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Probably just Mr. Winscott," says William. "Still have to wonder where his wife went. These were made by a man's shoes, size nine and a half unless I miss my guess. Let's follow."

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:51 am
by Bullfrog
Alas, I am not an expert on improvised explosives, but here is how I imagined Jerry's creation working:

The cloth wick is very thin, thin enough that the lid can still screw on to the jar without too much issue but thick enough to actually stay where it is. The fire probably travels through the fuel-soaked wick pretty fast, so I imagine it's a throw-before-it-explodes-in-your-hand sort of situation.

Whatever Jerry made, it's probably safe to assume that he knows enough to make it work. Fire is his job, after all.

"Have you got any ideas as to why he'd walk down here by himself? Because that doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Then again, none of this does." Jerry takes the lead, a lighter in one hand and his firebomb in the other; if he was going to meet some kind of dangerous animal down here, he wanted his improvised explosive to make its acquaintance first.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"It makes no sense to me either," says William, following along and glad to be behind Jerry in the event that he starts lobbing firebombs. "We'll have to ask him, if we're not too late."

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:51 am
by Philulhu
The rough-hewn tunnel continued for a further 60-70 yards. As they progressed further they could see a small mound in the centre of the passage. In the lamplight, the unmistakable white gleam of bone could be seen.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to have to dig in that to get a closer look," whispers William. "I don't think that's him. I think that bone must have been there for more than a few hours."

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:00 pm
by Bullfrog
"If that was Winscott, I'd expect a lot more left behind than just clean bone. Looks like there could have been some truth to that letter, after all." Jerry states, advancing towards the mound to try and dig the bone out and get a better look at it.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:21 am
by Philulhu
The bone turned out to be one of a number of bones, amidst a pile of ragged clothes. Disturbingly, some of the bones had iron fetters on them.

Spot hidden, please. I’d also take a History or Medicine roll (or similar) to tell you more about your discovery.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:11 am
by Bullfrog
History 20%: 1d100

Jerry is too distracted by the implications of the letter being true to come to a conclusion.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"The bones with the fetters must have been the slaves'," whispers William, instantly noticing something.

Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) at the bones:
d%
History roll (20% base skill) about the bones:
d%

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:08 am
by Philulhu
William noticed that the clothes waere torn, with signs of bloodstains.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The clothing's been torn," adds William, "and it's stained with blood."

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 am
by Bullfrog
"Strewn like rags, indeed. It's no wonder that old ghoul sealed this place shut, if this is all that was left behind." Jerry observes, grabbing one of the bits of bloodied cloth to look over before casting it aside. He'd seen his fair share of intrigue as a career criminal, but this strange business was something else entirely...
"I don't know what the hell Winscott's got himself caught up in, but we need to get him out of it before he ends up like these bones. Let's get moving."

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says William.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:52 am
by Philulhu
Tearing their eyes away from the pile of bones, Jerry and William realised that the tunnel they were in carried on ahead into the darkness. By the light from their head torches, they also realised that there was an entrance of sorts to their left, leading downwards.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:56 am
by Bullfrog
"I think we oughta see what's down here. If it goes on for while, we can turn back and see how this tunnel ends before going any deeper."
Jerry shines his light into the entrance to the left, awaiting William's judgement before advancing.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see which way the footprints go first," says William, inspecting the ground. "Finding him has to be our top priority, and if he didn't go down there, doing so ourselves would be a waste of time - not to mention potentially dangerous."

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:03 am
by Philulhu
There were no footprints, but William saw something white on the ground just inside the entrance to the left. Looking closer, it was a stub of a Turkish cigarette and he recalled Winscott smoking something similar while they had spoken in his study.

Which direction are you going and how far?

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's one of his cigarettes," whispers William, pointing at it. "Looks like he went toward the left, so we're going down first after all."

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:24 pm
by Bullfrog
"I knew it, William." Jerry taps the side of his head and twists his scarred face into something that somewhat approximates a grin. He jams his firebomb and lighter into his coat pocket and draws his gun before leading the way into the darkness below.
"I don't figure I'll need that gas bomb, but it's better to keep it around and not need it than the other way around, y'know?"

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 am
by Philulhu
The passageway unmistakably sloped downwards as Jerry and William moved onwards. It was natural in places; in others it bore tool marks of the people - if indeed they were people - who had worked to extend the tunnnel deeper into the earth. Sometimes the floor was dry; in other areas it was wet as water seeped through the rock and ran in rivulets down the rock and across the floor, where it splashed under their feet.

The noise echoed down the corridor. ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… ‘Splash’ … ‘Splash’… …

Wait! What was that?!

Hear noise, please.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

William can't tell where the sound is coming from or what it is.

Listen roll (68% skill) in the tunnel:
d%

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:46 pm
by Bullfrog
Listen 25%: 1d100

Jerry is quite accustomed to listening for footsteps.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
Philulhu wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 am
The noise echoed down the corridor. ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… … ‘Splash’… ‘Splash’ … ‘Splash’… …
Jerry noticed that the cadence of their steps in the water had been interrupted (highlighted for effect) by someone else. Someone, or something…

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:49 am
by Bullfrog
"That better be you, Winscott! I got a gun, and my hands tremor something awful!" Jerry shouts down the tunnel, looking around in the darknees with his gun raised. He'd been hunting a few times as a boy, but it had never been quite as stressful as this little trip.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"It might have been better not to announce our presence," whispers William.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:26 am
by Philulhu
Jerry’s voice echoed loudly down the corridor but was met only with silence.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:32 pm
by Bullfrog
"I hate to say it, but I'm inclined to agree." Jerry soberly replies, carefully peering around in the darkness to try and catch sight of whatever had stepped in the water earlier; he wasn't sure what he was expecting to see, but Jerry wasn't about to let himself get ambushed by some stupid damned animal.

Jerry is, in fact, about to let himself get ambushed by some stupid damned animal.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

William holds his shotgun ready in case something comes toward them.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:18 am
by Philulhu
Long moments passed but there were no further noises from the corridor, no Winscott jumping out shouting “Surprise!”, just silence…

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:45 pm
by Bullfrog
"I hate this place. Let's get going" Jerry remarks after several moments of incredibly tense silence, wondering if he'd just been scared by a rat or some other little creature scurrying through a puddle and not a horrible bear or something of that sort lying just out of sight. Whatever it was, it wasn't Winscott, so Jerry continues down the tunnel with his eyes peeled.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:41 am
by Philulhu
Jerry and William continued down the corridor. The corridor sloped downwards and they walked for some minutes, although they couldn’t be sure how many. The headlamps proved useful in lighting their way, although they had to adjust to not making sudden moves or looking at each other directly when they spoke as it was easy to flash the light in each other’s eyes, temporarily blinding one another.

After walking for a few minutes more, they noticed that the corridor was no longer as dark as previously. From somewhere ahead, an unearthly glow cast ungodly shadows upon the walls…

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"That light could be him," whispers William, "but let's proceed quietly, just in case."

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:05 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry nods, turns off his headlamp, and quietly moves towards the light.

Sneak 60%: 1d100

The gods of the dice truly hate Jerry Gilman.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
As Jerry moved forwards his foot caught a loose stone on the floor, sending it flying through the air and into the open space beyond where landed and bounced a few times before coming to a rest. Each bounce was accompanied by a sharp ‘crack’ which echoed throughout the cavern and the tunnel in which they stood…

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

William flicks off his own light, relying on the distant light source to see for now, and listens quietly for any response.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:58 am
by Philulhu
William thought he heard a faint shuffling noise but then there was only silence.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"It sure sounds like there's something there," whispers William.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 am
by Bullfrog
"Quiet. Let's see if it gets closer." Jerry replies in a harsh whisper, slowly positioning himself by the wall with his gun raised and his hand poised to switch on his headlamp. Whatever lived down here probably had its eyes adjusted to the darkness, so a sudden flash of light would hopefully blind the thing long enough for Jerry and William to shoot a few holes in it.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:45 am
by Philulhu
It isn’t like daylight in hear but it’s certainly bright enough to see clearly.

The shuffling noise could be heard again but it sounded as if it were moving away this time.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's follow quietly," whispers William.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:48 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry nods, and quietly proceeds towards the sound with his gun steadied in both hands.

Sneak 60%: 1d100

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:08 am
by Philulhu
As they moved down the corridor, Jerry and William found that it was opening out into a large cavern. They realised how far they had descended as they gazed upon the columns that stretched from the floor to the ceiling over 100 feet above their heads.

Eerie light bathed the room, seemingly emanating from lichen that grew freely about the place. On the walls, interspersed with patches of lichen, intricate carvings were etched, although some the more precise details were lost to the mists of time.

A successful history or archeology roll here would be useful.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never seen anything like this before," whispers William.

History roll (20% base skill) in the large cavern:
d%

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:42 pm
by Bullfrog
"It's not a drainage tunnel, I'm real certain of that." Jerry mutters, looking around the vast open chamber in astonishment; just how deep did these tunnels go, and how far could Winscott have gone into their depths?

Jerry's attention is soon caught by the carvings on the wall, however, and he moves closer to inspect them.

History 20%: 1d100

Jerry recalls something he read, once.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 am
by Philulhu
Some memory of similar art surfaced for Jerry. He’d seen something like this before in a newspaper or magazine somewhere. Wasn’t something like this found in some caves in Spain? Paintings from thousands of years ago, of bison and other animals.

There were striking differences in these paintings, however. Serpent motifs predominated, some of which were enormous with white crescents engraved on the forehead. The designs were repeated, possibly having symbolic meaning, accompanied by abstract and geometric designs, zigzags, and spirals.

Below some of the images appeared to be some form of script, consisting of curves, curls, and more spirals.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 pm
by Bullfrog
"Primitive men must have lived here once, just like that cave in Spain... Altamira, I think? We ought to tell the papers all about this, once we find Winscott and get the hell out of here." Jerry speaks with hushed excitement, his attention lingering on the paintings even as he turns away from them to explore the cavern further. Those paintings could net him some legitimate money, somehow, he was sure of it, but finding Winscott would have to come first.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's be careful, in case there are still some around," whispers William as he continues to search the chamber.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 am
by Philulhu
The cavern extended for almost 30 yards. The cavern was damp and there were stalactites and stalagmites, slick with water that was fed from above.

Besides the glowing lichen that gave off the sickly light by which they could see, other forms of fungi could be seen on the walls, floors and on the roof overhead. In places, the floor was covered in some sort of soft loam, where unusual looking flora had taken root.

A corridor lead off to the right but it appeared to end abruptly where the roof had caved in. Towards the far end, a tunnel lead further downwards.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we have to keep going down," whispers William, "but maybe we should check out that dead end first, see how recent the cave-in was and if anyone got caught in it."

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:16 am
by Bullfrog
"Just give it a quick pass with the light. Whether the tunnel collapsed a minute or a century ago, there's nothing much we can do about it without picks and shovels." Jerry responds, flicking on his headlamp to more clearly illuminate the dead end tunnel. There was certainly a chance that Winscott could have accidentally killed himself with a cave-in, but Jerry figured he would have seen some kind of sign if the cave-in was recent, and that coffee on the basement table was still hot enough to steam when he'd arrived.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods and shines his light at the dead end, giving it a once over.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:40 am
by Bullfrog

Jerry's got a sharp eye.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

William sees something too.

Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) looking at the dead end:
d%

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:22 am
by Philulhu
Judging by state of the rockfall, it had occurred some time before and had not been disturbed but it appeared that there might just be another cavern beyond it, although without mining equipment there would be no way to reach it.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"He didn't go this way," whispers William. "Down it is."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 am
by Philulhu
Returning back to the main cavern, Jerry and William continued downwards. The cavern narrowed to a tunnel but then expanded again slightly into a wider area with more images on the walls. The serpent motif and swirls were there, but there were also murals showing carvings of landscapes, studded with towers and other structures. Robed serpentine figures were depicted; some images showed them worshipping an enormous serpent with a crescent symbol on its forehead. Others depicted the serpent people and their cities being attacked by gigantic reptiles…

Can I have a History or a Know roll, please.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

None of this looks familiar to William.

Know roll (70% stat) about the serpent images:
d%

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:42 pm
by Bullfrog
Know 60%: 1d100

There is only thing of which Jerry is sure: this is absolutely not a drainage tunnel.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:16 pm
by Philulhu
Pushing on further, the cavern narrowed into a tunnel which lead down to a sharp edge. Looking down, the floor dropped away a dozen feet or more.

Somewhere in the caverns, a woman’s voice cried out.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thing we brought rope," says William, taking his out and looking for a place to tie it.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 am
by Bullfrog
"Can you hear that? A woman's voice, or something like it..." Jerry stands still and silent, trying to ascertain where the cry came from; he wasn't sure who else could have come down here, but Winscott might not have been the only one in danger.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:53 am
by Philulhu
Jerry stood and listened but the cry wasn’t repeated and he couldn’t tell from which way it had come.

Looking around, William could see there was no shortage of stalagmites that could be used to anchor his rope.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I heard," says William, tying the rope off to a sturdy stalagmite, testing it, and lowering it. "She's got to be somewhere ahead of us, or we'd have seen her."

d%

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:12 am
by Philulhu
The rope was held fast and wasn’t going to slip.

Can I have a Climb roll from each of you if you’re climbing down?

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:27 pm
by Bullfrog
Climb 40%: 1d100

Thanks to his missing fingers, Jerry can't get a good grip on the rope.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

William is not good at climbing ropes. He always dreaded this in physical education.

Climb roll (40% base skill) climbing down the rope:
d%

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:20 pm
by Philulhu
Jerry - 1d3 damage 1d6/2

Round that up to two HP lost, please. The dice roller doesn’t three-sided dice…

William - 1d3 damage 1d6/2

Jerry tried climbing down but with an impaired grip, slipped and fell. William was making better progress when a gunshot went off in the direction from they’d come and he fell to the floor!

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:06 pm
by Bullfrog
Jerry mumbles a half-coherent string of colorful expletives as he picks himself up off the floor, aiming his gun wildly around the tunnel.
"Whoever fired that off, you better explain yourself real soon!"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

William flattens himself against the sheer wall they had just hastily descended, so that nobody above can see him without leaning over the top, and holds his shotgun ready. "Mr. Winscott, is that you?" he calls. "It's us, hold your fire!"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:02 am
by Philulhu
Can you both make a Listen roll, please?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:38 pm
by Bullfrog

Jerry's never been much of a listening type.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

William has been deafened by the gunshot.

d%

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:27 pm
by Philulhu
There was nothing to be heard from back the way they came.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm hoping that's him," whispers William. "If it's not, whoever it is can pull up the rope and trap us down here."

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:29 pm
by Philulhu
No further sounds emerged from the corridor above their heads.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

While sheltered in the shadow of the wall, William tries to treat his injury, but without much luck.

First Aid roll (50% skill) treating my own injury:
d%

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:51 am
by Philulhu
Are you waiting or moving on?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 am
by Bullfrog
"We should stay here for a bit, see if they come to us. If it's just some curious stranger, we could rope them into helping us find Winscott. If they're up to no good-" Jerry raises up his gun and shakes it a bit for emphasis. "Then it's two-on-one."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:46 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods, doing an excellent job patching up Jerry. "Can you see if you can do anything for my injury while we wait?" he asks. "I don't want to wait too long, though. There was a woman screaming ahead of us somewhere, and I don't know how long she has."

First Aid roll (50% skill) treating Jerry's injury:
d%
HP healed:
1d6/2

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:56 am
by Bullfrog
First Aid 30%: 1d100

1d6/2

"You know, maybe I should have taken up all that doctoring stuff. How hard can it be?"
In what can only be called a miracle, Jerry manages to dress some of William's scrapes with some leftover rags.
"If you aren't so keen on waiting, we could go back from here and check if there's anyone behind us."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says William. "Going back would mean climbing back up the rope. Plus, we know there's someone behind us, someone with a gun. If we climbed back up, we'd also have to climb back down afterwards and probably get hurt again. The woman who needs help is ahead of us."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:20 am
by Bullfrog
Jerry looks up at the top of the ledge, and looks back down at William. He didn't care much for climbing, and if there was one thing he cared for less than climbing, it was falling.
"You know what? I think you should have brought a ladder. Let's press on, and once we find that woman, we can sort out the man with the gun."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 am
by Philulhu
That’s 2 HP recovered for each of you.

Moving down the tunnel for another 50 feet or so, Jerry and William entered into a wider tunnel than ran perpendicular to their own. To the right the light of their head torches illuminated some old, long abandoned workings but to their left, this new tunnel stretched away into the darkness, with fresh tunnels going off to both sides.

From somewhere in front of them a low moan, like the wind, could be heard.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

William examines the ground for any traces of recent passage.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:07 am
by Philulhu
William couldn’t be sure but was that a scuff mark on the floor, like something - or someone - had been dragged through a patch of loam on the floor?

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:33 pm
by Bullfrog
"Winscott must have been brought down here, but by what? I'd think that if an animal bit him and dragged him down here, there'd be a trail of blood. If it was a person, they would have left a rope behind on that ledge unless they have some other way out." Jerry observes, moving forward to try and figure out the strange sound's source. Could that hapless travel writer have stumbled into some kind of criminal operation and gotten himself kidnapped? Jerry had heard of the use of tunnels for smuggling before, but nothing quite as extensive and downright bizarre as these caves!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"It might have been his wife down here," replies William. "That would explain the woman's cry we heard earlier. Whatever the case, it's that way." He points out the scuff mark.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:11 pm
by Philulhu
Moving down through the space, Jerry and William could see an opening to their right. The light from their head-torches lit the carved surround of the opening, which showed carvings of serpents and geometric shapes. It was from this opening that the low moaning sound emerged.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but Winscott didn’t have a wife. The only woman associated with the property was his late great-aunt.She’s dead so probably isn’t make much noise… probably… …

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

William shines his light into the opening and keeps his shotgun ready.

The spoiler button's contents aren't showing because there's an apostrophe in the text that's supposed to be displayed on the button, but I was able to see the contents (which may have apostrophes) by quoting your post.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
Fixed it. I deleted the first square bracket ‘]’ to add =OOC and then forget to add both that and the bracket in again… :roll:

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am
by Philulhu
The opening lead to a short passage that opened into wide grotto beyond. There was none of the phosphorescing lichen in here but crystal deposits on the walls glittered in their lights. The ceiling was high up above their heads but their attention was drawn to a bizarre twisted structure spread across the far wall.

It was fashioned from interlaced bronze pipes and studded with crystals of various sizes and colors. The pipes pierced the wall in numerous places while the other ends ultimately end in spikes. There was a rock formation 20 feet in front of it, carved into a sort of seat, although it didn’t look like it was designed for a human to sit upon.

The low moaning continued…

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:31 pm
by Bullfrog
"Who the hell could have built this? This wasn't the work of any cave-man, that's for sure!" Jerry whispers much louder than he probably should, approaching the bizarre object to get a better look at it. What purpose could something like this serve?

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

William directs his light - and his shotgun - in the direction of the moaning.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:21 am
by Philulhu
Drawing closer, Jerry and William could start to see the structure in more detail. A score of human heads were perched upon the spikes. As they reached the chair, they realised that the sound they had been hearing was coming from the heads, which moaned softly in an ululating chorus.

The heads had been preserved with sinuous runes carved into their leathery flesh. Their eyelids were closed, but their mouths and the muscles of their throats moved as they sang! Some of the heads belonged to men of European descent, while others belonged to men and women of African descent. The whispering song that issued from the heads had a sort of ethereal beauty, but the overall spectacle was enough to send the two men reeling…

SAN check (1/1d4) and Listen, please.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

William gapes in shock. He has ears only for the bizarre singing.

Sanity roll (current level 52) for the singing heads:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d4
Listen roll (68% skill) in the grotto:
d%

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:08 am
by Philulhu
Ooh, big sanity loss! 😬

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:50 pm
by Bullfrog
Sanity 55%: 1d100
Sanity Loss 1d4: 1d4

Jerry, utterly disturbed by the living faces, briefly and wordlessly excuses himself from the room to try and come to,terms with what he has just seen. Whatever Lawrence was involved in, it was real. His brief period of thought, however, is interrupted as he notices a sound...

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
As William stood looking aghast at the hideous structure, Jerry retreated into the short tunnel from when they came. From behind him, there was a scampering noise, like some beasts running through the caverns…

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

William hastily follows Jerry.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:49 am
by Bullfrog
"Come on, you damn animal, come closer so I can blow your god-damn head off!"
Jerry raises his gun and points it down the tunnel, gripping the handle so hard his knuckles turn white. This place was evil and wrong, Jerry had come to realize, and the only remedy for this monstrosity would be the utter destruction of everything in these caves, archeological discoveries be damned.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:08 am
by Philulhu
From his position in the tunnel, with his headlamp shining back into the cavern from which they had come, Jerry briefly saw two flashes of pallid white flesh as they raced past the end of the tunnel.

Hope that makes sense.Jerry is standing in the tunnel with his back to the room with the monstrous pipe-thing on the wall, looking into the cavern through which they had passed earlier.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 am
by Bullfrog
That's what I was imagining, roughly.

Jerry gives chase to the shape in the darkness, sprinting down the tunnel to get a clear shot on the pallid animal!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

William hurries after him.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:30 am
by Philulhu
DEX#1 1d100

DEX#2 1d100

Listen 1d100

The two creatures scampered through the cavern, keeping to the sides, disappearing into the darkness at the far end.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"What is it?" whispers William. "What did you see?"

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:16 am
by Bullfrog
"A pair of animals, real pale-looking. Quick little bastards, too!" Jerry continues down the tunnel, keeping an eye out for the unknown creatures. He wasn't sure what could even be living down here so far from the surface, but as that awful face-covered machine demonstrated earlier, these were no ordinary caves.

Would it be possible for Jerry to make a blind shot down the cave?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:54 am
by Philulhu
Yes, perfectly possibly.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:58 am
by Bullfrog
Handgun 50%: 1d100

Jerry may not be able to see what he's shooting at, but he's certain he didn't hit it.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

William holds his shotgun ready and shines his light in the direction indicated as he heads down the tunnel, but he holds his fire until he can actually see what he's trying to shoot.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:21 pm
by Philulhu

1d100

With a flash of sparks, Jerry’s shot ricochets off a wall some distance from his intended targets, who scream and disappear down the tunnel at the end of the cavern.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we shouldn't go running off after them without examining our surroundings," says William. "They could be leading us into an ambush."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:28 pm
by Bullfrog
"That's crazy, but you know what? You might be right. I'm no expert on animals, but I can't think of any normal animal that would be living down here." Jerry agrees, exercising some rare restraint.
"I'll watch the front, and you can watch the back. I can't imagine they taught you how to shoot in lawyer school, but you don't have to do much aiming in a tunnel like this."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:37 pm
by Philulhu
Are you standing still or moving on?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I learned independently," says William. "I'm better with a pistol, but somehow I think a pistol won't cut it, and like you said, it's hard to miss in these circumstances."

Moving on, I think.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:07 am
by Philulhu
Moving further down the cavern, Jerry and William could see an opening to their left. Drawing closer they were assailed by a heavy, musty odour that made them recoil in disgust.

As they looked in the direction that the creatures had run, they could see a wide dark pit in the floor of the cavern, although it seemed as if a narrow ledge on each side would allow them to pass further.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thing we slowed down," whispers William. "If we'd been running, we'd have fallen right into that. Which may be what they had in mind."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:19 pm
by Philulhu
The hole looked to be about 20 feet deep but the ledges either side were about three feet wide so the space was passable.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:43 pm
by Bullfrog
"Damn. It's no wonder that Lawrence kept you around." Jerry looks down into the pit, sobered by the realization of just how close he had come to running right into it. He steps back from the pit, shining the light from his headlamp into the foul-smelling room; he didn't imagine anything good could have been in there, but there was no telling where Winscott could have gone.
"Clever little bastards, too clever to just be animals. Did you get a good look at them?"

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a Listen check, please.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

William shakes his head no and puts a finger to his lips, but he doesn't hear anything.

Listen roll (68% skill) near the pit:
d%

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:55 pm
by Bullfrog

Jerry isn't paying attention.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:59 pm
by Philulhu
No noise could be heard from either direction.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Crossing one at a time would leave both of us vulnerable," whispers William. "We can each take one ledge, and if one of us runs into trouble, the other can cover him."

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:14 am
by Bullfrog
"Seems like the best option to me." Jerry moves to the ledge, waiting for William to ready his gun before starting to cross. He never had much cared for heights, and he had really never cared for putting his life in the hands of others, but if Lawrence trusted that lawyer enough to clue him in on his secret life, then Jerry would have to trust him too.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:20 am
by Philulhu
The ledges were three feet wide so it was easy enough for Jerry and William to move past the pit to the end of the cavern, where tunnels extended to the left and right.

To their left, there was the same musty odour that they had smelt from the other tunnel on the same side of the cavern. To the right, the tunnel stretched away into the darkness.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try the right first," whispers William. "I'd rather avoid the source of that smell."

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:30 am
by Philulhu
Choosing the right hand tunnel, Jerry and William found a short walk of no more than about 20 feet before it widened out with two further tunnels heading straight on or to the left.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

William looks around for any sign that anyone - or anything - passed this way.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:37 pm
by Philulhu
There were claw marks in the dirt, travelling both ways.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They've been down both tunnels," whispers William. "I'm thinking we go straight ahead. The left tunnel leads toward the source of that smell."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:13 am
by Philulhu
Make a Listen roll, please.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

William hears very clearly.

d%

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:22 am
by Bullfrog

Also, can Jerry identify the smell?

"I think we should at least have a look at that awful-smelling room, as much as I hate to say it. Those animals could be keeping Winscott in there, for all we know, so they can eat him later." Jerry whispers in reply, trying not to think of the possibility that the animals down here were hungry enough to have already killed and eaten Winscott. It didn't look like there was much food down here...

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:11 am
by Philulhu
Ahead and to the right where tunnel branched into two, they heard a sharp ‘crack’.

A Natural World roll would probably help.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

William has no idea what the smell is, but the sound is unmistakable. "That way," he whispers, pointing ahead.

Natural History roll (10% base skill) about the smell:
d%

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:31 pm
by Philulhu
The tunnel ran straight for a few more feet then turned right. Turning into this new tunnel, Jerry and William were immediately greeted with the sight of two people, the first of which was pale-faced, very disheveled and carrying a lantern; the second was more clean cut and carried a lantern.

Jerry wouldn’t recognise them, but for William the people looked familiar! Was that Ivy Ripley and Detective Alex Reynolds standing before them?! As they watched, Ivy raised a poker ready to strike and Alex shouted ”Stay where you are, I'm armed!”

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:59 am
by Bullfrog
"So are we, so unless you and your lady friend have a shotgun stashed away, you're out-gunned." Jerry holds his gun steady, shooting a steely-eyed glare at Alex. He seemed remarkably calm for a man in a tense, armed standoff; it was almost like Jerry had been in situations like this before...
"Now, I don't see any reason we should start shooting, unless you want to change that. To start with, I'd like to know what you're doing in the caves under Joshua Winscott's basement, and if you have any idea where he's wandered off to."

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right, everyone," says William, lowering his gun. "This is Jerry, Lawrence's brother. Jerry, these are two more of Lawrence's friends: Ivy Ripley and Detective Alex Reynolds. Funny running into you two here."

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:51 am
by Philulhu
We’ll continue in this thread: Together Again