Ch. 16g Working for the man (Lawrence)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Ch. 16g Working for the man (Lawrence)

Post by Philulhu »

”He was out on the plantation, somewhere. Some of the workers brought him in, said he’d been bitten. We couldn’t do nothin’ for him. He was too far gone by then,” said Hank with a sad shake of his head.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Well, I wish he'd made it... If only so I could have a word with him about all these tools he left me." 'Neil' remarks, looking back at his unfinished work.
"I guess I'll stick to getting my preaching from Daigle. Good man, real pious- now that I think of it, why do you suppose Brian raised such a fuss at church if he was so deep in religion? Seems real odd to me."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I really don’t know,” replied Hank, ”But once he got the idea of snakes into his head, he just wasn’t the same.”
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"Mind's a funny thing. It fixes on the strangest of things... It's like blinders on a horse. Your eyes fix forward, and that's that..."'Neil' remarks, although it would be more accurate to say that this is Lawrence's own thoughts on life itself. He'd worn blinders his whole life, unaware there was anything but the forward march of time towards the same quiet life his father had lived, but now they'd been torn away, and he wasn't sure what direction was the right one. If nothing else, he knew what to flee from.
"I think I'll get back to work. Last guy definitely wanted to keep me busy."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Hank left him to it and ‘Neil’ made good progress in tidying up the workshop. That proved to be both a blessing and a curse; the room certainly looked the better for it, but it was also much easier to see all the snake carvings now…

At 6.00pm, a whistle sounded from the direction of Henry Jones’ cabin and ‘Neil’ could hear the sound of voices as men started leaving the oilfields and heading back to their cabins.

What’s Lawrence doing? Heading to his bunk? Something else?

Return to “Servants of the Lake”