Page 1 of 1

Character Selection and Discussion

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy
Each player should choose three characters, though you are optionally allowed a total of four. The survivors are divided into three groups, as follows:
Staff (at both the truck stop and the motel)
Visitors
Helicopter Group

Characters are given out on a first come, first served basis. You pick them by replying to this thread and telling me which ones you want, and then I'll send you their secrets by PM. Once you've received their secrets, your decision is final.

If you have pictures you'd like to use for your characters, you can post them here and I'll insert them in the Character Sheets thread (replacing any that already exist).

The following restrictions apply to choosing starting characters:
  • You may have no more than four characters in all
  • You may not choose characters labeled "Played by Keeper"
  • You may have a maxmium of two characters in any one group. If you do choose two characters from the same group, you should avoid taking characters that are connected to each other. This will give you a more diverse experience, and it will also mean your characters are less likely to be in the same place when there's danger, and thus you'll be less at risk of losing multiple characters at once. However, you may take at most one character from the Helicopter Group. I will allow three characters from the Visitors group, since it has so many characters in it, provided that you're taking four characters in all.
  • You should preferably take one character in each of the three groups. However, since the Helicopter Group has only five characters, if all of the characters in that group are taken, you will have to choose characters from the other groups. Ideally, I want the Helicopter Group to consist entirely of PCs.
  • When making your initial choices, choose no more than one character from each group at first to give other players a wider selection. After everyone has had a chance to choose initial characters, you may go back and add one or more characters, up to the maximum of four in all. I'll let you know when you can take additional characters from the same group.

Re: Character Selection and Discussion

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm
by Raiko
Staff (The Truck Stop):

Lynne - but, I'm actually happy to play any of three waitress characters.

Visitors (The Motel):

I'd like to play Baldwin please.

The Helicopter:

I don't mind being the one who misses out, so the rest of you can all have a character in this group - I'm also okay picking last, seeing as I got in first to the other groups. There are lots of motel characters that I like, so happy for my character#3 to be a second motel character. :)

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 pm
by Starspawn338
Here's my choices for characters:

The Truck Stop
Mitchell

The Motel
Gary

The Helicopter
Jim Kerr

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 am
by Silver Priest
Do you have room for any more players Mr. Handy? If so, I might pick a character in the first two groups, but would probably leave helicopter for the earlier players.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, there's plenty of room! Welcome aboard! Feel free to pick your characters now, and there are still four helicopter group characters left. I do want them all to be chosen by players eventually, so feel free to take one now if you like.

The first two groups are actually separated into Staff and Visitors, rather than Truck Stop and Motel. Mr. and Mrs. Foo and Ellen Cody are all part of the Staff group.

Baldwin is a great character, and things may play out differently now that he's a PC. His picture was one of Ving Rhames, though the link to it (and several other pictures) is dead.

Raiko and Starspawn, I've sent you your character secrets in PMs.

I made Mitchell 22 instead of 20, as I realized he's supposed to already have graduated college.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:09 am
by Silver Priest
Nice, thanks.I think I'll stuck with three for now, if that's alright.

Truck Stop/Staff

Thomas

Motel/Visitors

Tisha

Helicopter

Sean

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. Yes, that's good. Three is the recommended number of characters, and you don't need to take a fourth. It may be a good idea to keep a slot open in case a new character turns up that you'd like. I'll PM you your characters' secrets shortly.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:25 pm
by Mallard
Great - looking forward to getting started. Here is my list of desired characters.

Truck Stop/Staff
Charlie Moon

Motel/Visitors
Willie

Helicopter
Dr. Brigetta Hausman - If that's OK with everybody else?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Excellent, they're yours! I've sent you a PM with their secrets. There are some good pairings developing here that should have you working together. Charlie Moon and Thomas are both kitchen staff, and Tisha and Willie are also connected.

I'm looking forward to getting started, but it may still be some time. I'm currently working on a lengthy introduction. Welsh wrote it for the original run, but I need to edit it and clean it up before I post it. That's more than halfway done. Then I'll need to set up the Rules and Guidelines thread, as well as a status thread with all the characters' current locations, weapons, checked skills, and so forth. Of course, there are still a few players who haven't chosen characters yet, so even if all that were done, we still wouldn't be able to start just yet.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 am
by Cotton
If it's alright with everyone I'd like to take these guys

Staff
Mr. Foo

Visitors
Wallace Red Crow

Helicopter
Stephanie Bridges

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Excellent, they're yours! I've sent you their secrets. Mr. Foo and Stephanie were two of my characters when I was a player, and Stephanie is my favorite.

We now have two of the truck drivers as PCs, and we'll have all three if Dave takes David as he was considering.

At this point, enough time has passed that everyone is free to take additional characters up to the maximum of four.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Visitors
David The Horny Truck Driver!

Bo Richards

Helicopter Group
Bob Larkin

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Great, they're yours! I've sent you their secrets.

Bo was one of the characters I originally played too.

The helicopter group is now all taken, which is good. In the last run, nobody played Dr. Hausmann, which was okay. In some ways, it's good for the Keeper to play her, as she can be complex, but it's also good to have her be a PC so that the players drive that part of the story.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:11 pm
by Mallard
Mr. Handy wrote: The helicopter group is now all taken, which is good. In the last run, nobody played Dr. Hausmann, which was okay. In some ways, it's good for the Keeper to play her, as she can be complex, but it's also good to have her be a PC so that the players drive that part of the story.
I’ll do my best not to get her killed in the first 3 posts!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 pm
by Starspawn338
I posted pics of my characters here if you want to put them in the Character Sheet thread.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Mallard wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote: The helicopter group is now all taken, which is good. In the last run, nobody played Dr. Hausmann, which was okay. In some ways, it's good for the Keeper to play her, as she can be complex, but it's also good to have her be a PC so that the players drive that part of the story.
I’ll do my best not to get her killed in the first 3 posts!!!
She actually did almost die early on in the first run of the game, and in fact her arm got broken, so Stephanie still had to rise to the occasion. Both of them actually survived as far as I'd gotten in the original run of the game.
Starspawn338 wrote:I posted pics of my characters here if you want to put them in the Character Sheet thread.
Done!

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 am
by RonaHattingh
Hi, sorry I am late.

Character selection:

Truck stop:

Rosie - waitress

Motel 8:

Ellen Cody - Housekeeper

Visitor:

Jim - Runaway

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, Rona! The characters are yours, and I've sent you their secrets in a PM.

Raiko, you're free to choose a third character from those that are left, and everyone may take a fourth if you wish, though three is still perfectly fine. There are plenty of extra characters in case more players join us, though that is likely to change once the game is underway...

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:58 am
by Dave Syrinx
I´m saving a slot for upcoming locations 8-)

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm
by Dave Syrinx
So, Beth and Robert are at the café as well? Could you provide pictures of them, Mr H?
Also, will you add the prolog for the new players to read through? It gives some good advice on surviving and sets the scene quite well.

Then, it´s just "Camera, and shoot!"

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 pm
by editorjen
Heya!

I'd like to give these a shot:

Staff: Dave

Visitors: Tony Lathan

Alice

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, Jen! The characters are yours, and I sent you their secrets in a PM. It's good that someone's finally playing one of the Lathans. Nobody played any of them in the first run, and they all died early. Good luck keeping your family alive!
Dave wrote:So, Beth and Robert are at the café as well? Could you provide pictures of them, Mr H?
Also, will you add the prolog for the new players to read through? It gives some good advice on surviving and sets the scene quite well.

Then, it´s just "Camera, and shoot!"
Beth and Robert are there, yes. I don't have pictures for them, and Welsh never did either. It would take some time to find good ones, but I think getting the game actually started is a higher priority for my time right now since we have our players ready to go.

I am planning to post the prologue. In fact, I edited most of it last weekend and should be able to finish it this weekend. Of course, it's not quite as simple as "Camera, and shoot!" I still need to make the Rules and Guidelines thread and the Character Locations, Weapons, etc. thread. Then I need to get all of the IC threads up and running. We'll be using multiple IC threads from the start in this run, rather than everything in a single thread like in Chapters 1 and 2 last time. There's a good chance I won't finish those this weekend, but next weekend is a three day weekend for me, plus I should get out a couple of hours early on Friday, so we'll probably start somewhere from October 5-8.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 am
by Dave Syrinx
It´s a full time job if you do it well. I know. Is there something a humble Dave could do to help out?

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:55 pm
by Raiko
Welcome Jen! :)

@Mr. Handy, I'll pick a third character later today, there were quite a lot that I liked, so I'll see who's still available. I'll avoid anyone similar to or with obvious connections to the two I've picked already.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
Dave wrote:It´s a full time job if you do it well. I know. Is there something a humble Dave could do to help out?
Thank you for the offer, but I really need to do this myself. I'll need to spend a good deal of time familiarizing myself with the early parts of Chapter 1 as well, and I'd really rather players didn't look at it. You may have already read it before, but it's better that you refrain from doing it further. While things won't play out the same, there will still be spoilers in it. If you've read it some time ago, you might have forgotten many of the details (I know I did). If you do remember it, you'll just have to pretend you don't know all of that stuff.

Fortunately, I should have time tonight to finish editing and posting the introduction, and maybe even get started on the other stuff.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"It looked like nothing to me."

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:54 pm
by Raiko
Sorry for taking a while to choose.

For a third character I'd like to play Bud.
23-jonathan-banks-breaking-bad.w529.h529.jpg

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice choice! Jonathan Banks is great in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, and it's good to have you playing Bud. I've sent you his secrets. Don't worry about taking your time. I hadn't been ready to start yet anyway, and I'm still not quite ready. I've got most of the starting weapon list done, and I may finish that tonight. I plan to get everything started over the next day or two.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 am
by Mallard
I've selected some portraits for my Characters

Dr. Brigetta Hausmann

Willie

Charlie Moon

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I've updated the Character Sheets thread with their portraits.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 am
by Borderline
Ok hopefully Im informed enough now to choose characters. Originally I just tried to pick people noone was using then I read what you said about choosing one from each group if possible. So I prioritized choosing a spread and taking characters from players marked mia so my choices are:
Luke
Charlie Moon
Dr. Hausmann

My back up choices are:
Flip
Cathy Lathan

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, Borderline! You've got Luke, Charlie Moon, and Dr. Hausmann now. I'll send you their secrets shortly. I won't have time to update tonight anyway, so that will give you some time to catch up and post if you have time. I'll need a Sanity roll for Dr. Hausmann, and you can also roll First Aid or Medicine for her if you're going to try to help Wallace. It's especially good that someone is playing her.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:17 pm
by aine
Please could I have:
Staff- Mrs Wu
Visitors - Samantha and Michael Walters.
I'm happy with Walter's photo.

Samantha

Mrs Wu

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Great, they're all yours, and they're good choices! I played Ms. Foo myself in the original game, back when I was still a player. I've sent you their secrets in a PM. You can check the Locations and Weapons thread to see which threads (or portions of threads) you have to read to catch up and has hyperlinks pointing to them. Once you've caught up, you can post for your characters whenever you're ready. You may make Listen rolls for Michael Walters and Samantha. I plan to update this weekend, but I'll hold off for part of it to give you time to get started. Enjoy!

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:38 am
by Leonulf
I would like to play as Jenny Cooper, Lab assistant & Father Roger McCormick - Aging Priest if that is agreeable (looking through the threads they seem to have been less involved so far so its easier for me to pick up, I did read the recommendation that characters are picked from different groups for more of a different perspective, so if this breaks a rule I am happy to go with just one - Jenny).

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Excellent, they're both yours! I'll send you their secrets shortly in a PM. Once you've read them and caught up on your characters' stories so far, you may post in their current threads. You may also make a Spot Hidden roll for Jenny and a Listen roll for Roger. The characters are spread out enough now that they'll have different experiences, and you're free to add more later if you like.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 am
by Silver Priest
Welcome to the game Leonulf. It's really a lot of fun, I think you'll enjoy it. :D

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:49 pm
by Leonulf
Thank you!

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:26 am
by Leonulf
Can I pick up Jim the runaway please?

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
He's all yours!

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 am
by aine
Hi Mr Handy, please could you add this image to Alex's character sheet.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
I already put the full sized image in the Character Sheets thread that you posted in the IC thread. Would you rather I used the smaller image you have here?

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am
by aine
Oops, I must have missed it- sorry. No that's great, thanks Mr H.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy
I've added a new character, State Trooper Erica Spears, near the bottom of the list. She is now available for anyone who has an available character slot to play, on a first come first served basis.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Chip chop! I´m adding an interest to RP a Russian model named Lara Voronova.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
You've got her reserved for when she's added along with other new characters, which should be within a week or two. Lara is actually an archaeologist. It's Katarina Iliescu who's the model.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 am
by Dave Syrinx
Then I´ll go with the pen name Miss Jones for Lara. Wait, a tomb raider called Lara... 8-)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I even had her make a reference the last time around after she made a difficult climb, where she said: "My name should be Lara Croft."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I've just added six new characters to the Character Sheets thread, all captives of the skinheads at their compound. One of them has already been claimed by Dave, but there are still five more available to play. Keep in mind that they are in a very horrible situation if you are considering playing one of them.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:35 pm
by Borderline
Charley Moon
NP.jpg
Bobby Sheen
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3NuaXBlcjcuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoyOTB9fX0=.jpeg
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3NuaXBlcjcuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoyOTB9fX0=.jpeg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 3738 times

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:57 am
by Borderline
Lt Angela Blanco
crop_1.jpg

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I've updated the character sheets with your pictures, and I'll be sending you your new characters' secrets shortly.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:39 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi, of possible can I play:
Nathaniel Lewis.
Dr Bernard Smith.
Isaac Drake.
Igor Malanowski.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! Yes, they're all yours now. When I have time, I'll dig up their secrets and send them to you in a PM (probably this weekend). Note that Nathaniel Lewis and Igor Malanowski are both in communications, though one is a civilian and the other is military, so there is a good chance that they'll be together much of the time. You can go ahead and read their threads in Chapter 2 to catch up, which shouldn't take long. Once you've read them and your characters' secrets, you can post as them in their threads whenever you're ready.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:15 am
by BoyBlunder78
If you think it easier can I swap Nathaniel for Zoorie Spooner?

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, I forgot to reply to this. You can play Zorie Spooner instead of Nathaniel Lewis if you like, but feel free to choose whichever one you prefer. I haven't sent your secrets out yet. The site hosting the first two chapters (and my PMs where I sent out secrets) has been down for maintenance for weeks. If it doesn't come up soon, I'll have to see about reconstructing them from my notes this weekend.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi,sorryfor the late reply. I'll go with Spooner, that way I won't be tempted to manipulate situations where I would two characters in a scene, knowing there secrets.( Though could be fun.....lol)

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
Great, she's all yours! The site hosting the first two chapters came back up last week. If I have time, I'll send your secrets tonight. Otherwise, I should have time next weekend.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Thank you. I look forward to it 😁