Chapter 10: The Arkham Historical Society

A friend of the investigators stands accused of the murder of her husband, due to insanity. It is up to the companions to find out what drove her to commit this terrible deed.

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 10: The Arkham Historical Society

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Isadora would like to try and contact somebody from her Theosophic Society circle. Somebody who is knowledgeable about witchcraft, hidden history, or knows someone who can consult the Investigators about witches and witch trials in Arkham. As for the Persuading the parents, I feel Alice should do it. Isadora is getting more and more unstable, and we don't want her shouting with Beth or the parents...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I'll be the one to try to convince [b]Beth[/b]. I have the best Persuade. I can do that this evening, if it's not too late. In the morning I'd like to see if anyone at Miskatonic is an expert on local folklore and ask about [b]Goody Bosworth[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,I'm not opposed to going to a local dive bar and buying a round and listening to some stories.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Well, try calling Beth first then. If Persuade is successfully rolled, she'll be able to convince Margaret's parents to let you see her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice has no trouble convincing Beth to intercede on their behalf with her parents to allow them to visit Margaret. She is the smoothest she has ever been.
OOC,Persuade roll (74% skill) to convince [b]Beth[/b] to get her parents to let us visit [b]Margaret[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Beth is convinced by Alice’s persuasions and in turn manages to let Mr. and Mrs. Carter-Field give permission to the doctors at the sanatorium to let the companions visit Margaret that Saturday.
OOC,You can each make your own enquiries. However, there are no taverns as this is prohibition – there are only speakeasies and some restaurants supplying wine to trusted customers. Harrison will have to roll Know to think of a place to go.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,What should Isadora roll? Or should I provide more details about a potential NPC contact?
evil_scientist wrote:
OOC,Isadora would like to try and contact somebody from her Theosophic Society circle. Somebody who is knowledgeable about witchcraft, hidden history, or knows someone who can consult the Investigators about witches and witch trials in Arkham. As for the Persuading the parents, I feel Alice should do it. Isadora is getting more and more unstable, and we don't want her shouting with Beth or the parents...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,You don't need to roll anything. Calling around her friends, Isadora learns that there weren't any Arkham witch trials, and nobody has heard any stories about a Goody Bosworth. The only witch legend mentioned is that of a Goody Fowler, hanged by a mob in 1704.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The following day, Alice goes to the university to find a local folklore or history expert to ask about Goody Bosworth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Late at night, Isadora calls Alice.

"See? I told you, these historians don't know anything," she announces with a strange, triumphant angst. "According to legend, there was a Goody Fowler, hanged by a mob in 1704. Make sure you ask about her as well. Might be the real Goody 'Bosworth'."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Isadora," says Alice. "That helps."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Know 85 [dice]0[/dice]
Harrison asks around discreetly, looking for a local speakeasy for his "research" project about local witch stories.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice,Alice manages to get a few minutes with Dr. Henry Armitage, who she has consulted in the past. “This town has long been associated with witches and witch cults, so there are various legends. I’ve never heard of a Goody Bosworth, or any witchcraft associated with that family. Goody Fowler was a real person; she was definitely believed to be a witch, and was executed for it. I suspect that this Goody Bosworth is a local embellishment of that story. I wouldn’t pay it any attention.”
Harrison & Henry,Strangely enough, the best place to seek such information seems to be the Desolate Highway Café. At that location, Harrison and Henry manage to gain a little information. Nobody has ever heard of a Goody Bosworth. Regarding the name Goody Fowler, it seems that there is a legend that she was a local witch, and that her ghost can be seen at Hangman’s Hill in the Old Wooded Graveyard, the place where she was executed, at May Eve or at Hallowmass. Some have attempted a vigil to witness her apparition, but none have lived to talk about it. Or at any rate, nobody claims to have seen anything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Dr. Armitage," says Alice. "I'd like to find out more about Goody Fowler's story. I think it is relevant. It has to do with the Bosworth House. The spirit of this witch appears to be bound to the house and affecting people."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice,Armitage frowns. [color=#008000]“Margaret and Thomas Hannigan’s house? I fail to see how that could have occurred. She died long before the house was built. Even if you believe that Goody Fowler really was a witch. There’s probably a much more mundane reason.”[/color] Nevertheless he does supply some information. [color=#008000]“It is said that she had a cottage somewhere south-east of the town. Nowhere near the Bosworth House.” [/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It may still be relevant somehow," says Alice. "I'd like to see the cottage. Do you know the address?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice,“No,” Armitage says, “As I stated, it’s said to be southeast of the town. I don’t think it would be easy to find. If you’ll take my advice, I would forget this line of inquiry.” The Doctor turns to his desk and begins shuffling papers. “I really should be getting back to my work. It was nice to see you again, Miss Stanton.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"None who have attempted to see or communicate with the ghost of Goody Fowler have lived to talk about it? Have there been people that have tried and gone missing or turned up dead?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you again, Dr. Armitage," says Alice. "It was nice to see you too." She goes to compare notes with the others to see what they've discovered.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harrison & Henry,No-one really knows. It could just be a story, one of many local legends.

Return to “The Bosworth House”