Chapter 10: The Arkham Historical Society

A friend of the investigators stands accused of the murder of her husband, due to insanity. It is up to the companions to find out what drove her to commit this terrible deed.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 10: The Arkham Historical Society

Post by HoneyDog »

Tuesday September 17th, 1 pm

Arkham Historical Society, 537 South Garrison St.

The Society is located in the Lower Southside of Arkham, one of Arkham’s poorer neighbourhoods. The lanes are narrow and twisted, and there are many tenements in which reside recent Italian and Polish immigrants. It is somewhat overcrowded and noisy, but not too disconcerting, even for those of a sensitive disposition. It might still perhaps be a surprising place to find an academic establishment. The Society itself is a restored Georgian mansion set back from the street, and is in good condition.

The companions ring the bell, and are greeted by a tall, balding man wearing a suit and bow tie, who looks to be in his early sixties. He greets them politely and invites them in. Introducing himself as E. Lapham Peabody, the curator of the Society, he asks them what they might be seeking.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 10: The Arkham Historical Society

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good afternoon, Mr. Peabody" says Alice. "I'm Alice Stanton. We'd like to research the Bosworth family, specifically William and Samantha Bosworth."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Ah, the Bosworths!” exclaims Peabody. “An old Arkham family. Been present in the city for generations, although I’m not sure if there are any left now. Please excuse me a moment.”

Presently he returns holding a ledger, in which copious notes are written. “We collect notes on historical figures in the town” he explains. “Here it is.”

William Bosworth was a successful lawyer, first in Boston and again after returning here. He had a house built in West College Street.” He reads on. “He died in 1851, and Jessica, his wife, followed nine years later. Suicide.” He raises an eyebrow. “Hmm, why does this address sound familiar to me?” he muses.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What do you know about their daughter, Samantha?" asks Alice, reluctant to answer his question.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Peabody looks at his ledger again. "Samantha Bosworth married Joseph Whately, another old Arkham family. She has also passed on, and is survived by her son Joshua Whately.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What can you tell us about Joseph and Joshua Whately?" asks Alice. "Do you know where Joshua Whately lives?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"I'm sorry, I don't really have any details for them" replies Peabody. "I know that Joshua owns several properties in the city."
OOC,You already have Joshua's phone number.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Luckily, there are no moving lines or labyrinthine patterns scrawled on the historical documents, which means Isadora remains relatively calm throughout the inquiry.
HoneyDog wrote:William Bosworth was a successful lawyer, first in Boston and again after returning here. He had a house built in West College Street.” He reads on. “He died in 1851, and Jessica, his wife, followed nine years later. Suicide.”
"How did William Bosworth die? Of illness, or just old age? And, well, I'm sorry to bring up such a gruesome topic, but what were the circumstances of Jessica Bosworth's taking of her own life? Where there any signs leading up to it?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Natural causes for William Bosworthsays Peabody. Jessica though – it seems that she suffered from a long mental decline, including hallucinations. She was eventually committed to Arkham Asylum, and committed suicide there.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora gasps, and covers her face with her hands. The historian might assume that she does this because she is surprised to learn such a horrid detail. On the contrary. Isadora is not surprised at all. Which only makes matters worse. This is exactly the answer she was expecting to hear.

"Such a tragedy... what kind of hallucinations?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"I'm afraid it gives no indication" Peabody replies. "Such a shame."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that is a tragedy," says Alice, concerned for Isadora and Margaret both. "Do you know how much time the mental decline took before she took her own life?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"It was several years, but apart from that I don't have any more details" Peabody says.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Perhaps the Asylum kept records of her history of illness," adds Isadora with uncertainty in her voice. "Would the Historical Society have access to such things? Or are they kept private?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“We certainly don’t have anything like that” replies Peabody. “It’s likely that the asylum still keeps medical records, but they would be confidential, of course.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison listens to the conversation, searching his mind for anything he can say or do to follow up. Unfortunately, he comes up empty. Is there any way to connect the troubled women together? He looks over to Isadora with concern.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What can you tell us about the Bosworth House, and about the architect, Ryan Saxby?" asks Alice, relieved that they still have time to undo whatever is happening.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Peabody bids the investigators to sit and disappears to find more records. When he returns, he gives them the details.

"I take it you're referring to the house in West College Street. Yes, I remember now that the house has a local reputation for being haunted, although there seems to be little consistency to the stories. As for Saxby, it seems he designed several local houses and buildings, but he doesn’t seem to have any particular reputation. Just a journeyman architect.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How did these stories of the house being haunted begin?" asks Alice. "There must be some basis in history. Did it begin with Jessica Bosworth's mental decline, or is it older than that?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Peabody spreads his long arms.

"Who really knows? There must be a house like that in almost every neighbourhood in every town. Often it’s just a sense of disquiet, amplified by wagging tongues. I mean, the story I heard was that the house was once home to Goody Bosworth, who was burned as a witch during the Witch Trial days. Apparently she would seduce men into unnatural couplings, if you ladies will forgive me for the turn of phrase. Apparently you can see her late at night, beckoning from an upstairs window. But in reality, the house was built after those times, and I find no records of any execution of an individual with that name. So I wouldn’t put too much faith into such rumours.”

Return to “The Bosworth House”