Chapter 3a: Newspapers (Isadora & Harrison)

A friend of the investigators stands accused of the murder of her husband, due to insanity. It is up to the companions to find out what drove her to commit this terrible deed.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 3a: Newspapers (Isadora & Harrison)

Post by HoneyDog »

Tuesday September 10th, Arkham

Isadora enquires at the main library but is told that there are no newspaper copies there, and so she makes her way to MU, arriving at around 10.30am. The library there has been a memorable location in her previous adventures, so she is acquainted with its layout. Not bothering with the information desk, she makes her way to the section where local newspapers are stored. Harrison is already there, searching.
OOC,What are you guys searching for?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 3a: Newspapers (Isadora & Harrison)

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Last time she was investigating a haunted house, Isadora had access to the well organized clippings and filing cabinets of The Boston Globe.

She wants to know whether the MU newspaper section keeps any clippings, or organize thematic sets of articles, based on address or city area.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,I would like to see if there is an older librarian who can tell me if they know any stories about the Bosworth house. If not, I will be searching end of the year editions to see if there are any summary stories that tell about the good and bad things that happened that year. Maybe I'll stumble across some haunted house or suicide/murders in the Bosworth house. Actually, thinking on that, is there anyway I could see who has owned the Bosworth house in the past so I can search the years leading up to any sales.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Property records could be found at the Town Hall.
Making their way to the library counter, the companions can see a tall, well-dressed lady in her middle age, busily sorting through reference cards. Harrison will recognize her as Mrs. Long, the head reference librarian.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison walks to the library counter and nods to Mrs. Long. "Greetings, Mrs. Long. I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I saw that Mrs. Margaret Hannigan has been institutionalized after the death of her husband. I remember some stories about the house they were living in..." Harrison pauses as if in thought. "I think they call it the Bosworth House. Do you happen to know anything about that house? I was going to check the newspapers but I cannot recall when exactly I should start looking for articles about the Bosworth House."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”I know Mrs Hannigan slightly” replies Mrs Long.”But I’m not familiar with her house. I haven’t heard any stories about it, and perhaps it’s not appropriate to be gossiping about it” she continues with a stern look. ”We only catalogue newspapers according to date. You can find them in the basement.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Well, I suppose we could get lucky just researching by date but that seems pretty tedious." Harrison says to Isadora. "Perhaps we should look up the ownership records of the Bosworth House first down at the Town Hall so we have a better idea what time frame we should be looking into."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It might just be more convenient to search the newspapers now, to save you having to come back.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Are there any small newsletter type papers, about the locality Bosworth House is in? For "News of the community", "neighborhood watch", local ads, and so on...

Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

evil_scientist,Sorry is that a question for Harrison or Mrs Long? As you haven't actually started searching yet, I'll save the roll for when you do.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
OOC,It was supposed to be an OOCish inquiry addressed to the Keeper! This is what Isadora tries to look for down in the basement. Sorry... I think it's better if I re-posit it as an in-character post.
"Do you think there are small newsletter type papers, from the locality Bosworth House is in? For "News of the community", "neighborhood watch", local ads, and so forth..." Isadora asks of Harrison, then, when they are down in the basement, starts browsing the catalog of newspapers available, or asks any librarian around.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You're still at the counter with Mrs. Long, so she can answer any questions about searches.
"We don't keep such things, being a university library" says Mrs. Long to Isadora. "But you can find complete files of the Advertiser and the Enquirer. They are clearly marked."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

evil_scientist wrote: "Do you think there are small newsletter type papers, from the locality Bosworth House is in? For "News of the community", "neighborhood watch", local ads, and so forth..." Isadora asks of Harrison, then, when they are down in the basement, starts browsing the catalog of newspapers available, or asks any librarian around.
Harrison shrugs. I don't really read the local newspaper all that much. Too busy with my studies. Do you recall when they got married? Usually people buy a house after they get married but before they have children.
OOC,Library Use 50 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Are you guys going to the basement to search the newspapers now? You're still at the desk. I will count the library use rolls towards your searches through the Enquirer and Advertiser if that's the case.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora has one more idea before checking the basement.

"Do you have any books about the towns history? About historical architecture?"
OOC,After this, let's try the basement!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Why of course, we have some local history" Mrs. Long tells Isadora. "But whether they cover architecture in any particular detail, I'm afraid I really couldn't tell you. I can give you some titles if you like."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Thank you, some pointers would be much appreciated!"

After writing down a few main titles, and probably ordering them (if they are not directly available on the open shelves), Isadora is ready to tackle the basement journal section.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

After receiving Mrs. Long’s list of books, the companions head to the basement. They stop for lunch after an hour, not having found anything of interest.

Resuming their search at 1.30pm, they spend the rest of the afternoon in the files.

The results of their search are clear – the only references to the address of the Bosworth House are in the property sales and rentals section of both newspapers. Rentals seem to occur fairly frequently, every 5 or 6 months it seems at some points. But there are no stories connected to the address, and there is no mention of ‘Bosworth House’.

It is now 5pm, and Isadora and Harrison are quite fatigued.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Well, sometimes you have a productive day researching and sometimes you don't." Harrison says to Isadora. "It's time to get something to eat and then get some rest. What do you think?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"There isn't much else we can do today," says Isadora, slightly disappointed. "Tomorrow we can begin with the hall of records."

Return to “The Bosworth House”