Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2: The Police

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Once the working day is ended and their evening meal consumed, the companions are able to reconvene at the fairly small headquarters of Arkham’s police in East Armitage St. Their appointment with Detective Harden is confirmed with the desk officer, and they are shown to an interview room, whereby they are reintroduced to that worthy peace officer.

After cordial greetings are exchanged and some coffee procured, Harden gets to business. He reports that there has been no talk or rumour connected to the Owen affair of the previous winter, thankfully. He is obviously curious as to why the investigators are here.

“I was surprised to learn of your interest in this case” he begins, addressing everyone. “I take it you know Margaret Hannigan from her employment at the University?”

Re: Chapter 2: The Police

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Yes, we know her through the University, and Mrs Carmichael here has become a close friend. Ladies lunches and all that. Now obviously the law must take its course and I'm sure there will be a thorough investigation but something doesn't ring true about the suspect and the crime - perhaps you've had that feeling yourself Detective? We'd be much obliged if you'd share with us the circumstances of the case ..."

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Margaret and I were in the secretarial pool together at Miskatonic," says Alice. "This seems extremely out of character for her. I still can't believe that she did it. She must not have been herself."

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
Harden shrugs his shoulders and spreads his hands apologetically.

“I’m sorry everyone” he says, “but she killed her husband. All the physical evidence confirms it, not to mention that she herself admits to it. Her sister-in-law Elizabeth was in the house at the time, and while she didn’t witness the murder, she heard her brother cry out, and when she got there, Mrs. Hannigan was standing over his body holding a knife”.

He stops and lights a cigarette. “If you know her, than you might be aware that she had been suffering from psychological difficulties over the past few months, and her condition seemed to have worsened. Both her sister-in-law and her doctor confirm that. So she most definitely wasn’t herself.”
OOC,Just to confirm, Isadora and Margaret were friendly, but not close. Isadora won't be aware of many of the details about Margaret's life.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Well it certainly seems there is little doubt in the case. Has Margaret offered an explanation as to her actions?"

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:50 pm
by Starspawn338
"You say she admitted it herself? What exactly did she say?" Harrison says. "Would it be possible to read her statement and Elizabeth's statements or better yet, talk to her directly? I know you say that she did it but you know as well as I that not everything is always as it seems and because she is a friend, we owe it to her to make sure that this was nothing more that it seems."

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 am
by HoneyDog
“Now slow down just a minute” says Harden sternly to Harrison. “This is an ongoing investigation. I’m doing you all a favour by talking to you on account of that Owen thing. I know I can trust you. But ordinarily you wouldn’t be anywhere near here. There’s no way you get to look at statements, and you won’t go anywhere near Margaret Hannigan, at least for now. She’s being held at the sanatorium pending a doctor’s report on her fitness to stand trial, and she’s under constant supervision. She's a danger to herself and possibly to others.”

He turns to Henry. “The reason she’s being held there, and not here, is because she’s obviously under extreme mental duress. The reason she gave for killing her husband is because he’d been unfaithful. With the woman in the walls.”

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"The woman in the walls?" asks Alice. "Did she explain what she meant by that?"

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 am
by HoneyDog
“No” replies Harden. “I’m sorry, I know she’s your friend, but basically she’s crazy. She’s had what seems to be a long mental decline, and she suddenly snapped. Of course, we searched the house, but there’s no way anyone could be inside the walls. But she obviously thinks that someone is there.”

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do the doctors have any idea yet what might have caused her mental decline?" asks Alice.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 am
by HoneyDog
“It seems that she was on a downward trajectory since the birth of her daughter. It also seems that perhaps her husband’s approach to her condition only made things worse.” Harden flicks ash off his cigarette and regards the glowing tip.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:37 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Can you tell us anything about the house where they lived? Anything about it or it's history that might have contributed to Margaret!s delusions or decline?"

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm
by HoneyDog
“It does have a reputation apparently” admits Harden. “One of the patrolmen told me that it’s the kind of place that kids tell stories about; you know. But did it contribute to her decline? Damned if I know. Maybe living there depressed her, but what does it matter now? I have to deal with things as they are, and Margaret Hannigan is locked up in a padded room, with her husband laying in the morgue.” He stubs out his cigarette.

“You folks are looking to see some sense in this” he continues. “But there isn’t. These folks were dealt a bad hand, and circumstances and the decisions that they made led to this. It’s horrible, but it's life. If I were you, I’d get yourself a stiff drink, and move on.”

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:26 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"What if there was a woman in the wall?"

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
“There wasn’t any woman in the wall!” Harden snaps. “I told you, we searched the place, and it’s not possible anyway! Look, I’m sorry, but why don’t you just forget this whole thing, huh? I know you folks like your mysteries, but there’s nothing to see here. It’s just people making bad choices, that’s all.”

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"What was it about her husband's approach that made it worse?" asks Alice.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

When the detective starts talking about the house's reputation, Isadora gets flashbacks to the event that started her down the deadly road of occult investigations. The case of the Corbitt house... She knows just what kind of an influence a haunted space can have on families.

She shivers.

"And was there a woman... you know, outside the walls? A real, flesh and blood woman? Was Margaret's husband unfaithful? "

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:28 am
by HoneyDog
“From what I’ve gathered he thought that by keeping her secluded and her distractions to a minimum, she would recover and be able to bond with the child. Doesn’t look like it worked, does it? The feeling is, it made her worse.” Harden says to Alice.

“As for another woman, the sister Elizabeth doesn’t think so, but we might never know. It makes no difference now anyway.”

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"How is the baby doing?" asks Alice.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 am
by HoneyDog
“She’s fine, being cared for by the grandparents and Elizabeth replies Harden. “Look, if you really want to look into this thing, then go ahead. But you need to tread carefully. Obviously the family has been devastated by these events, and the goodwill of Arkham PD will be stretched if you start upsetting people with insensitive questions. Perhaps Elizabeth will talk to you, but I doubt Margaret’s parents will”.

He consults his file and writes a number on a notepad, tearing out the paper and handing it to Alice.

“I would give it a few more days if you decide to call, perhaps wait until the weekend. Maybe we might learn something more in the meantime. The report on Margaret Hannigan should be completed by then anyway.”

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:“From what I’ve gathered he thought that by keeping her secluded and her distractions to a minimum, she would recover and be able to bond with the child. Doesn’t look like it worked, does it? The feeling is, it made her worse.” Harden says to Alice.
"I'm sure it definitely made it worse... No wonder she started seeing a woman in the wall under such secluded conditions!

"Thank you for your time and patience, Detective Harden."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says Alice, accepting the paper. "We'll be discreet."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison bows his head to Inspector Harden as he leaves.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,What's the plan now?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we should hold off on talking to [b]Elizabeth[/b] as suggested for now. We can look up articles about the murder in the newspaper, and after reading them we could talk to the reporters who wrote them. They'll have done much of the legwork already.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am
by innsmouth
OOC:   Maybe try and find out a bit about the house. Talk to some local kids or check newspapers for history  

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Before leaving Henry produces a signed copy of The Music of Dr Cazlab from his case and hands it to Harden.

"Perhaps you'd be so good as to pass this on to Sergeant Waters?"

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Henry and his endless supply of complementary copies...

Isadora Carmichael

"I want to look into the history of the house. I had... a case, with a haunted house, once, in the past. Local libraries sometimes carry interesting information and newspaper clippings."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
“Err.. sure. Thanks Henrysays Harden, looking at the book curiously.
OOC,There won’t be any newspaper investigations into the murder I’m afraid. It’s an open and shut case and the family won’t talk to the press. You guys have to do the investigating! Harden can give you the address of the house and you could talk to locals, although you won’t be able to access the house without a key. You could try the library if you want. Remember, some of the characters have jobs and lectures to attend, so their participation might be limited.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:41 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Isadora is self-employed, so she will go to the library and do some research on the house, based on the address given by Harden.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 pm
by innsmouth
OOC:   Henry, also self employed will go and take a look at the house and find out from the local kids what tales persist about the place,  

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll fulfill my job requirements, but if I have the time to spare, I'll also go to the library to help research the house and its history.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,I know you said that the reporters consider this a open and shut case but perhaps if I ask around the newsroom, maybe some of the reporters know something else about the house itself. Let me know if I have any time between classes to do that.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You risk sparking their interest in a potential story though. Are you sure you really want the press sniffing around?

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 am
by Starspawn338
OOC,Hmm. That would really upset Harden if the press were to start talking about the lady in the wall of a haunted house. I suppose I don't want to burn that bridge yet. Better stick to the library's collection of old newspapers.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:15 pm
by HoneyDog
“This is the address of the Hannigans' house” says Harden, handing Henry a piece of paper. "It's known locally as the Bosworth House, apparently.”
OOC,So Isadora and Harrison will visit the library. There is a public library (opening 11am) or you can also use the university library (9am), which has issues of the local papers. I’ll leave it up to Harrison as to whether he wants to skip classes. Henry can go to the neighbourhood and ask around. If Alice wants to go, she will have to skip work or they will have to wait until she finishes at 5pm. Alternatively, they could arise early and look around before work.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We can split up. You can try the university library, and be closer to your classes in case you want to stay out of trouble. I can take the city library." Isadora offers to Harrison.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"I might be able to go with Henry to ask around the neighborhood before work," says Alice. "I can drop into the University library during my lunch hour and help how I can, but otherwise I'll have to wait until I'm done work."

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll start 2 new threads for Henry & Alice in the neighbourhood and for Isadora and Harrison at the library. Sorry, my posting will be irregular right now; I have a lot of things to take care of.