Chapter 2: The Police

A friend of the investigators stands accused of the murder of her husband, due to insanity. It is up to the companions to find out what drove her to commit this terrible deed.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 2: The Police

Post by HoneyDog »

Once the working day is ended and their evening meal consumed, the companions are able to reconvene at the fairly small headquarters of Arkham’s police in East Armitage St. Their appointment with Detective Harden is confirmed with the desk officer, and they are shown to an interview room, whereby they are reintroduced to that worthy peace officer.

After cordial greetings are exchanged and some coffee procured, Harden gets to business. He reports that there has been no talk or rumour connected to the Owen affair of the previous winter, thankfully. He is obviously curious as to why the investigators are here.

“I was surprised to learn of your interest in this case” he begins, addressing everyone. “I take it you know Margaret Hannigan from her employment at the University?”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Police

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Yes, we know her through the University, and Mrs Carmichael here has become a close friend. Ladies lunches and all that. Now obviously the law must take its course and I'm sure there will be a thorough investigation but something doesn't ring true about the suspect and the crime - perhaps you've had that feeling yourself Detective? We'd be much obliged if you'd share with us the circumstances of the case ..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Margaret and I were in the secretarial pool together at Miskatonic," says Alice. "This seems extremely out of character for her. I still can't believe that she did it. She must not have been herself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harden shrugs his shoulders and spreads his hands apologetically.

“I’m sorry everyone” he says, “but she killed her husband. All the physical evidence confirms it, not to mention that she herself admits to it. Her sister-in-law Elizabeth was in the house at the time, and while she didn’t witness the murder, she heard her brother cry out, and when she got there, Mrs. Hannigan was standing over his body holding a knife”.

He stops and lights a cigarette. “If you know her, than you might be aware that she had been suffering from psychological difficulties over the past few months, and her condition seemed to have worsened. Both her sister-in-law and her doctor confirm that. So she most definitely wasn’t herself.”
OOC,Just to confirm, Isadora and Margaret were friendly, but not close. Isadora won't be aware of many of the details about Margaret's life.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Well it certainly seems there is little doubt in the case. Has Margaret offered an explanation as to her actions?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"You say she admitted it herself? What exactly did she say?" Harrison says. "Would it be possible to read her statement and Elizabeth's statements or better yet, talk to her directly? I know you say that she did it but you know as well as I that not everything is always as it seems and because she is a friend, we owe it to her to make sure that this was nothing more that it seems."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Now slow down just a minute” says Harden sternly to Harrison. “This is an ongoing investigation. I’m doing you all a favour by talking to you on account of that Owen thing. I know I can trust you. But ordinarily you wouldn’t be anywhere near here. There’s no way you get to look at statements, and you won’t go anywhere near Margaret Hannigan, at least for now. She’s being held at the sanatorium pending a doctor’s report on her fitness to stand trial, and she’s under constant supervision. She's a danger to herself and possibly to others.”

He turns to Henry. “The reason she’s being held there, and not here, is because she’s obviously under extreme mental duress. The reason she gave for killing her husband is because he’d been unfaithful. With the woman in the walls.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The woman in the walls?" asks Alice. "Did she explain what she meant by that?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No” replies Harden. “I’m sorry, I know she’s your friend, but basically she’s crazy. She’s had what seems to be a long mental decline, and she suddenly snapped. Of course, we searched the house, but there’s no way anyone could be inside the walls. But she obviously thinks that someone is there.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do the doctors have any idea yet what might have caused her mental decline?" asks Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“It seems that she was on a downward trajectory since the birth of her daughter. It also seems that perhaps her husband’s approach to her condition only made things worse.” Harden flicks ash off his cigarette and regards the glowing tip.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Can you tell us anything about the house where they lived? Anything about it or it's history that might have contributed to Margaret!s delusions or decline?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“It does have a reputation apparently” admits Harden. “One of the patrolmen told me that it’s the kind of place that kids tell stories about; you know. But did it contribute to her decline? Damned if I know. Maybe living there depressed her, but what does it matter now? I have to deal with things as they are, and Margaret Hannigan is locked up in a padded room, with her husband laying in the morgue.” He stubs out his cigarette.

“You folks are looking to see some sense in this” he continues. “But there isn’t. These folks were dealt a bad hand, and circumstances and the decisions that they made led to this. It’s horrible, but it's life. If I were you, I’d get yourself a stiff drink, and move on.”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"What if there was a woman in the wall?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“There wasn’t any woman in the wall!” Harden snaps. “I told you, we searched the place, and it’s not possible anyway! Look, I’m sorry, but why don’t you just forget this whole thing, huh? I know you folks like your mysteries, but there’s nothing to see here. It’s just people making bad choices, that’s all.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What was it about her husband's approach that made it worse?" asks Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

When the detective starts talking about the house's reputation, Isadora gets flashbacks to the event that started her down the deadly road of occult investigations. The case of the Corbitt house... She knows just what kind of an influence a haunted space can have on families.

She shivers.

"And was there a woman... you know, outside the walls? A real, flesh and blood woman? Was Margaret's husband unfaithful? "
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“From what I’ve gathered he thought that by keeping her secluded and her distractions to a minimum, she would recover and be able to bond with the child. Doesn’t look like it worked, does it? The feeling is, it made her worse.” Harden says to Alice.

“As for another woman, the sister Elizabeth doesn’t think so, but we might never know. It makes no difference now anyway.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How is the baby doing?" asks Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“She’s fine, being cared for by the grandparents and Elizabeth replies Harden. “Look, if you really want to look into this thing, then go ahead. But you need to tread carefully. Obviously the family has been devastated by these events, and the goodwill of Arkham PD will be stretched if you start upsetting people with insensitive questions. Perhaps Elizabeth will talk to you, but I doubt Margaret’s parents will”.

He consults his file and writes a number on a notepad, tearing out the paper and handing it to Alice.

“I would give it a few more days if you decide to call, perhaps wait until the weekend. Maybe we might learn something more in the meantime. The report on Margaret Hannigan should be completed by then anyway.”

Return to “The Bosworth House”