Page 1 of 1

Chapter 7: Dr. Dwight

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:12 am
by HoneyDog
Sunday, September 15th
9 am

Miskatonic University Campus

The companions arrive at the library only to find that it is closed, and will remain so until 1 pm, when the reference stacks will be accessible.

Isadora curses in frustration, banging her hand on the door in anger.
Isadora,Lose 1 SAN for the frustration the situation causes. Isadora's nerves will begin to become much more strained.
The investigators decide to go to The Garden Café on campus for a coffee, and to consider their options until they meet with Dr. Dwight.

Re: Chapter 7: Dr. Dwight

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are you all right, Isadora?" asks Alice, concerned.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is clearly not right.

At first, she doesn't even talk to Alice. She walks up to the counter, gets into a short argument, then returns with a cup of hot water. She then pours some dried herbs into it, turning the water into a tea-like herbal infusion.

After having a few sips, she calms down a little and finally answers.

"No. I'm not right. Not at all. Whatever got to Margaret... is getting to me too. Getting inside me. I used to find solace in sleeping, but this force is inside my head, inside my dreams. Something followed me all through a labyrinthine city... Like the one Margaret described in her diary."

She shrugs, and drinks more herbal tea.

"Do you still have the diary? I want to look for a detail. In my city... I mean, in my dream, there was a mask shop. Does Margaret mention anything like that?"

Isadora will try to look for this specific detail in Margaret's diary.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions look again through the latter pages of Margaret’s diary. She does make reference to masked figures, although there is no mask shop. However, she describes the feeling of being followed on several occasions.

It’s her, I’m sure of it , is one entry she makes in reference to this.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I was hoping removing you from the house would remove you from its...her influence," says Alice. "She's still attached to you, and the only way we'll be able to sever that attachment is to go back to the house and do something about her. We can do that now, if you like. We haven't finished exploring the house yet, and now that we've read the diary we know more."

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 am
by Starspawn338
"I think we should meet with the Doctor first. Maybe he knows more of what Margaret was writing." Harrison offers.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can," says Alice. "I'm just worried about Isadora. The more time that goes by, the more it affects her."

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We don't know enough, yet... We must try the library, if that damned wretched thing was open!!" Isadora inserts, in a surprisingly aggressive (for her) manner. She quickly sips some more herbal tea. Her hands are shaking.
OOC,I'm ready to move on to the meeting!

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:58 pm
by HoneyDog
Dr. Dwight's office is at 170 West Church St., across from the campus. The companions are probably glad to be moving after what has turned out to be a tense morning, filled with barely concealed anxieties. Hopefully the good doctor can provide some much needed information.

The building is filled with small offices of various physicians and dentists. Pressing the buzzer for Dr. Arnold Dwight, the companions are greeted by a deep New England accented voice asking as to their identity. They are swiftly buzzed in and make their way to the Doctor’s small but tastefully furnished office, which reflects the obvious fact that he is well-to-do.

Clad in an immaculate suit, Arnold Dwight is a smallish portly man in his early sixties, balding with a thick moustache. He regards the companions keenly from behind his spectacles. His whole manner indicates somebody who has a very serious outlook on life.

He sees to the investigators seating arrangements and after introductions are made, he addresses them all in his deep voice.

Elizabeth asked me to talk to you, as you are acquainted with Margaret and seek some understanding of this awful event. I am grateful that you are acting in her interest in this matter.”

As he says these words, it is clear that he is deeply saddened by what has happened.

“I have some news which I should share with you” he announces. “Yesterday Margaret was found to be unfit for trial by state psychologists. Therefore she will be committed to Arkham asylum under observation until some change in her condition might be observed.”

These words obviously cause him some emotional pain. He gets up and looks out of his office window at the street below, saying nothing more.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you think now she'll be allowed visitors?" asks Alice with some sympathy. "It must be awfully lonely for her."

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 am
by HoneyDog
Dwight turns back from the window.

“She’s still regarded as a danger to herself and possibly to others, so visits will be restricted to medical and legal personnel. I hope to go myself as soon as possible. She is able to communicate and is aware of her surroundings. But her delusion about the phantom woman in the walls of her home continues”.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why did she remain in the house after her problems started to become evident?" asks Alice. "It was clearly having a negative effect on her. Did her husband insist that she stay there?"

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 am
by HoneyDog
Dwight frowns and his face darkens.

“You must excuse my bluntness, but I don’t generally suffer fools, especially in our profession. To be frank, the late Dr. Thomas Hannigan has only himself to blame for his own death. No matter what anyone else advised, he took it upon himself to treat her despite his lack of expertise in psychology. Despite her gradual decline, he insisted that his course of treatment would yield results. Yes, he insisted that she stay in order to rest completely, and that undoubtedly aided her decline.”

He stops, scowling, as if to say more, but he turns to look out of the window again.
OOC,You'll need to make a Persuade roll to get him to talk more on this sensitive point.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's hard to understand why he did that," says Alice. "You look like there's something more you'd like to say. It's all right, you can tell us. I completely agree with you that Dr. Hannigan was foolish to keep Margaret in the place that was clearly causing her such distress, and I'm not offended by blunt talk."
OOC,Persuade roll (74% skill) to convince [b]Dr. Dwight[/b] to talk further: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 am
by HoneyDog
Dwight turns back and frowns again.

“I told the stubborn fool that the rest cure is, in my experience, absolute nonsense. And especially damaging in Margaret’s case. She needed to be busy, to be working, to be putting that imagination of hers to productive uses. When it has nothing to do, the mind busies itself, and with a person suffering from depression or neuroses this can be ruinous.”

His voice rises and he becomes more passionate.

“There were other options available; the talking cure, medicines, perhaps even a sanatorium with a change of surroundings where she could receive care and be away from the pressures of new motherhood. But no, Hannigan rejected all of it, because he knew best. Damn him!”

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora shivers. The experiences Dr. Dwight is describing are too familiar to her. Isadora was lucky enough to be hospitalized in a progressive institute, where between her deep sleep therapy sessions she was allowed and encouraged to paint and draw.

At the same time, she feels a righteous anger. If Dr. Dwight has a professional angle, Isadora takes it more personally. "The idiot," she mutters when Dr. Hannigan is mentioned. It's strange to hear such strong words from the usually calm Isadora.
HoneyDog wrote:“She’s still regarded as a danger to herself and possibly to others, so visits will be restricted to medical and legal personnel. I hope to go myself as soon as possible. She is able to communicate and is aware of her surroundings. But her delusion about the phantom woman in the walls of her home continues”.
"We want to see her... Would we be allowed to accompany you in some quality, during your official medical visit?"

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
Dwight shakes his head.

“I’m afraid that wouldn’t be possible. She still isn’t allowed visitors. I will find the professional opinion as to her condition and inform you if you wish. Perhaps it will be feasible in the near future, but you would probably need the permission of the doctor in charge, or of Margaret’s parents.”

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm
by Starspawn338
"Can you tell us a little more of the phantom women in the wall that she spoke about? When did this fantasy begin and did she speak much to you of it? " Harrison says. "And who is the doctor who is in charge of her now?"

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have you ever been to the house yourself, Doctor?" asks Alice. "If you have, what was your impression of it?"

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 am
by HoneyDog
Dwight looks from one to the other, and addresses Harrison's questions first.

“There are several doctors treating Margaret, but Dr. Hardstrom is senior. But as I said, you will not be allowed to see Margaret now, so please don’t try. Wait until the doctors allow it, although it may be some time.”

He looks at Alice and back at Harrison.

“I’ve only been to the house a couple of times, and there was nothing strange about it. I’ve heard that it has a reputation, which probably helped to feed Margaret’s delusions about it.”

He hesitates again.

“I’m not sure that I really want to discuss Margaret’s health.”
OOC,You will have to roll Persuade again.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're Margaret's friends," says Alice. "We only want what's best for her, to help her if we can."
OOC,Persuade roll (74% skill) to convince [b]Dr. Dwight[/b] to talk further: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora tries from a different angle: she noticed Dwight's emotional reaction to the misconduct of Dr. Hannigan.

"And if we help her, then perhaps we can help others too, who are in a similar situation..."
OOC,[b]Persuade 15%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am
by Starspawn338
“There are several doctors treating Margaret, but Dr. Hardstrom is senior. But as I said, you will not be allowed to see Margaret now, so please don’t try. Wait until the doctors allow it, although it may be some time.”
"Oh, I didn't mean that we would try to see her anyway. I just wanted to make sure she's getting the best treatment after her husband's ill advised choices, may God rest his soul." Harrison continues. "But I don't see how trying to enlighten us about her delusions would be detrimental to her in any way.
OOC,Persuade 35 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"It might help you understand things a bit more if you go over it with us."
Spoiler:
Henry Persuade 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry’s impassioned plea seems to strike a chord with the doctor, and reluctantly, he begins to talk.

“You’re right. I need to get this out. I’ve felt so angry, these last few days. I hope you can understand my reticence…”

Margaret… you have to understand that Margaret is…”

He grimaces.

“Was… a very sweet and talented girl. I have known her for a long time. She has always been troubled, even since her childhood, and she has suffered a tendency toward delusion. I became aware of this really very early on. But she trusted me and shared some of her stranger notions. For my part, I encouraged her to find healthy outlets for her… how can I say… overabundance of imagination.”

He opens his cigarette case and lights up a cigarette, drawing heavily.

“You must excuse me, but recent events have drawn me back to this poisonous weed.”

He flicks the ash into an adjacent cup and continues on.

“We were able to find a way to help her distinguish between her fantasies and reality. It was a rocky road, and, while she never became violent, we worried about her a great deal. But in the end, whatever it was, I truly believe she conquered it. Her writing was a major part of her technique for managing her emotions.”

He stubs out the cigarette.

“But Tabitha’s birth was difficult emotionally, and then that idiot husband insisted in shutting her away alone, banning her from writing, all for her own ‘good’”.

This last part he spits out bitterly.

“The results of this are plain to see.”

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have you read her writing, Doctor?" asks Alice. "If you have, what did you think of it?"

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well, in fact Margaret has been writing since she was young. I was one of the first to see her talent for it, and I always encouraged her to pursue it, even perhaps as an occupation. I’m certain that had she been afforded the opportunity she would have been successful in that regard. Due to her health she decided not to attend university, which is a shame as we all recognized her keen mind. I always thought that writing proved a great stimulus for her, and could increase her social contacts.”

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm
by evil_scientist
isadora Carmichael

"The things she did write, other than her diary - do you think these works survive?" Isadora wonders.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
“Why, of course” says the Doctor. “She wrote a great deal. She even published in some amateur press journals, and she circulated many poems and stories among relatives and friends. Everyone always remarked on her imagination, even though it was often tinged with melancholy. Some even compared her to ah… who was it… yes, Algernon Blackwood, and that strange fellow from Providence; I forget his name.”

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:45 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I'm surprised I haven't read her work already Doctor. I do a bit of scribbling myself. Perhaps you've read The Music of Dr Cazlab?"

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
Dwight regards Henry blankly.

"I"m afraid I haven't had the pleasure" he eventually says.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I never knew she was published," says Alice. "I'll have to read her writing. Do you know for which journals she wrote? Maybe Beth has some too."

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:33 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, I recall now! She did mention stories and poems published in amateur press journals..."

Isadora tries to recall some of the titles. "United Amateur? National Amateur? The Amateur Vagrant?"
OOC,Is an Idea roll applicable here? If so: [b]Idea 70%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes, I think it had ‘amateur’ in the title” says Dwight, “But I honestly don’t know. Beth might, or at least she can ask Margaret’s parents.”

He leans back in his chair.

“Now, do you have any further inquiries? I’m afraid I really should be getting on with my records, or I’ll fall behind”.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Doctor," says Alice. "Thank you for your time. You've been a great help. We'll see if Beth knows more."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,What would you like to do now?

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora wants to visit the library. She wanted to look for books on the occult (Not information about the house, but rather similar occurrences. Hauntings, distortions of space, moving patterns...), and now also check out if there are any amateur press editions in the catalog.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to go talk to [b]Beth[/b]. We can let her know about the diary and find out if she has any of [b]Margaret[/b]'s writing.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You'll need a successful Luck roll to see if Beth is available.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice tries to call Beth, but there is no answer. She accompanies Isadora to the library instead to help with her research.
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) to see if [b]Beth[/b] is available: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 am
by HoneyDog
The library is now open, so the companions journey over and begin their searches for anything which might help in their quest for knowledge.

Unfortunately, the catalogue does not contain any amateur writing journals. To Isadora’s frustration, there is also lots of occult books detailing hauntings and the like, but nothing about women in walls or dreams about strange cities. It is no help.

After this failure, the companions leave the library at 6 pm when it closes. The evening has drawn in and the sun has sunk below the horizon.
Isadora,Lose 1 SAN in frustration.
OOC,What's your next step?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:46 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"...and this is supposed to be New England's best selection of occult books?" Isadora fumes.

"We need access to those amateur journals. Maybe Beth has some. But maybe not. Maybe she didn't give a damn about Margaret's writing," Isadora is clearly highly frustrated and angry. "Our best option is to find amateurs. As far as I know, they are all avid collectors, they keep archives of their correspondence and all the things they publish. Henry, do you have any contacts in the amateur press scene? "

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says Alice. "Dr. Dwight said she gave them to her friends and relatives, so probably Beth has something. Why don't I call her again and see if she's in this evening?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Luckily, Beth is in.

“I’m not sure if we have any, but let me hunt around for some of those journals” she says in reference to Margaret’s writing.

“But I need to tell you, Dr. Dwight left a message; he wants you to go back to his office. He should still be there.”

She promises to call Alice again and rings off.

Returning to Dr. Dwight’s office, the companions are presented with a letter.

“I spoke to Dr. Hardstrom at the sanatorium. He tells me that Margaret can be allowed visitors next weekend for a very short visit. Her parents can go of course, and if they agree, you may also visit her, but only if her parents agree. I have written this letter to support your case, so please present it to them, or actually, it might be better to give it to Beth. The Carter-Fields are old friends, and this has taken a terrible toll on them. I don’t want them unnecessarily upset. Are we clear?” he finishes, sternly.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's clear," says Alice, accepting the letter. "Thank you, Dr. Dwight, you've been a great help."

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions leave the office, thinking about their next step. Tomorrow is Monday, which means a return to their usual routines.
OOC,Please roll Listen.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:13 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 30 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice's always sharp hearing picks up something.
OOC,Listen roll (72% skill) outside the office: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Listen 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks Guys, I'll need to wait for evil_scientist to complete the listening rolls, so please be patient.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Listen 43%

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Sorry for keeping you all waiting! :(

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 am
by HoneyDog
Alice & Harrison,Both Alice and Harrison can hear what sounds like sobbing coming from Dr. Dwight’s office. An exclamation follows: [color=#0000FF]“Damn that arrogant fool!”[/color]

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hear him crying in there," whispers Alice. "He shouted 'Damn that arrogant fool.' He must be referring to Dr. Hannigan. I wonder if Dr. Dwight has feelings for Margaret."

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 am
by Starspawn338
"He has been seeing her for quite some time. I believe it is a distinct possibility that he cared deeply for her." Harrison agrees.

"Thinking back on what the Doctor said,
“Was… a very sweet and talented girl. I have known her for a long time. She has always been troubled, even since her childhood, and she has suffered a tendency toward delusion. I became aware of this really very early on. But she trusted me and shared some of her stranger notions. For my part, I encouraged her to find healthy outlets for her… how can I say… overabundance of imagination.”
"He did say she shared some secrets and that always comes with at least some intimacy."

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"It must be so," replies Alice. "I should have seen it sooner."

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"They were clearly very close. We need to talk to Beth again: to get her support to visit next weekend, and also to check whether she has Margaret's writings. I'm sure by "healthy outlet" her stories are meant, and I really hope we can find some answers or at least allusions in them."

Isadora tries to reach Beth on the phone.

Luck 65%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora’s luck is in, and Beth is now home. She considers Isadora's request.

“No, we don’t have Margaret’s writing here” she says, “but she has a friend who was something of a fan, and collected some of them. I can call her and see if she’d like to talk to you.”

Soon Beth rings back.

“She can talk to you tomorrow evening. Her name is Elisa Phillips. She and Margaret are quite close. I’ve talked to her already, and as you can imagine, she is very upset with what happened.”
OOC,Presuming you would like to talk to Elisa, I will begin a new thread tomorrow, which is Monday. Your other arrangement was to visit the City offices to look at the property records on Tuesday.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That sounds good to me.