Chapter 8: The Vanishing

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If I leap through the flames quickly enough, I can get through," says Alexander. He backs up and gets a running start, then tries to leap over the flames, jumping so that he'll roll as he lands in order to put out his clothes if they catch fire.
OOC,Jump roll (25% base skill) to jump through the fire: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander makes a mighty leap, and he is able to shove the swaying wicker man so that it topples over, spilling it's cargo of terrified children into the snow. However the impact is harder than expected and sends him off-balance, landing in the edge of the flames, a painful experience.
Alexander,You were very close, but the failure means damage. Roll 1d6 for injury from burns, and POWx5. If you fail, your clothes catch fire.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander is badly burned from the fire, but his precautions barely keep his clothes from igniting.
OOC,Damage from the flames: [dice]0[/dice] POW x 5 roll (80% stat) to avoid my clothes catching fire: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy runs to help the children flee. He will gather up Ursula in his arms and carry her if he can, thinking she may be the goblins' main target.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde takes one look at the beleaguered Fitzwilliam and then runs after Percy as fast as her skirts allow her.
"Oh well done, Alexander!" She breathes as he makes his silhouetted jump through the fire. She beckons to the children as they clamber from the wreckage of the wicker man.
"This way, quickly!" She calls softly.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Let’s assume that Percy picked up Alexander’s shotgun, as he wouldn’t have been able to leap over the fire with it. Please roll Luck
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam lashed out with his revolver, striking one of the enemy across the face with the barrel and then sending another flying away with his boot. He dispatched a third with a well-aimed shot between the eyes, but they kept coming, these Pygmy warriors, each time he put one down, another appeared in its place!

FitzWilliam was starting to feel the effects of his run up the hill and the fight that followed. He was starting to blow, but still managed to bellow “Rally round, men! We’ll go down fighting for King and country!” before shooting again at one of his assailants.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Luck,70[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander staggers to his feet and helps get the children to safety. He'll worry about treating his burns later.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry can Isolde and Alexander roll Luck too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander is fortunate.
OOC,Luck roll (80% stat): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Luck,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde not so much.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander, although in terrible pain, is able to stagger after the others. Smith relieves Percy of a stricken Ursula, and together with the big Gypsy, the farmer, Mckenzie and Isolde, they quickly gather the children and head back through the trees.

Still fighting, the other members of the party are being overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the creatures. FitzWilliam is seen cursing the monstrosities as he empties his revolver at them.

Most of the party manage to slip away, but Isolde is impeded by rocks, and is noticed. Suddenly, a primitive spear is launched at her. It strikes a glancing blow at her arm, cutting down to the bone.
Isolde,Creature 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754002]Thrown spear[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]24[/b] Damage [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754004]Thrown spear damage[/url]: [u]1d6+1[/u] [b]2[/b] Roll POW x5 failure means Isolde stumbles, success she can keep her feet.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

POWx5,45 [dice]0[/dice]
Ouch.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

All to soon, Captain FitzWilliam heard a ‘click’ rather than a ‘bang!’when he pulled the trigger. There was no time to reload, so he quickly reversed his grip to use his pistol as a makeshift club instead, and continued to strike out at those assailants within range. From the corner of his eye, he saw red coats flitting away through the trees and smiled grimly to himself. He knew the odds of getting out of here were slim, but at least the colours were safe and the regiment would fight another day.

Nearby he saw one of his troop stumble as he was struck by a spear which opened a deep wound on his arm. ”On your feet, lad!” he implored, as he fought to get closer to try to lend a hand.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Suddenly one of the horrific creatures is upon Isolde. With a hideous grin of pure cruelty, it swings its misshapen hand, tipped with sharp, black, claw-like nails at her face. But in its eagerness to maim, it misjudges the distance and swings short.
Isolde,Creature Claws 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754408]Claws[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]83[/b]. Isolde can now attack. A successful hit means that she also has the chance to run, although she can stand and fight if she chooses. I don't believe she has any weapons?
Yet more of the creatures turn on FitzWilliam. He feels a sharp pain in his stomach as a blade of some kind enters his body. Gritting his teeth in agony, he keeps flailing at his assailants.
Alexander & Percy,Have the option of turning back to help Isolde. This may likely result in attacks upon them too, however, so please carefully consider what actions you take.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Run,[dice]0[/dice]
Isolde stumbles under the wickedly curving claw that swipes the air above her head. Her momentum sends her sliding down a huge granite boulder.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,How far away are they from us? If I can get my shotgun back from [b]Percy[/b], I could keep my distance and still help. I wouldn't want to get into arms length of these things, especially injured as I am.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Just a few meters, although you might risk hitting Isolde if you miss, plus Alexander has an injury of his own which gives him a -20 penalty.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,If I'm just a few meters away, that should put me at point blank range, which would double my skill. Does the -20 apply before or after my skill is doubled? I'd think it should be after, as it makes no sense for my injury's effects to be doubled when the shot is easier, and in math the order of operations is to do multiplication (and division) before addition (and subtraction).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Burnt Man”