Chapter 8: The Vanishing

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 8: The Vanishing

Post by HoneyDog »

Monday, December 20th

Bargrove Hall, 8am

It has finally snowed. Since the events of the night before, heavy flakes have carpeted the grounds of Bargrove Hall and the moors beyond. Looking from the windows, the world is white, broken only by the leaden grey sky. And the snow continues to fall…
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

Post by aine »

Isolde looks out of her bedroom window at the snowy scene. 'Beautiful but also menacing somehow. she thinks and adds another shawl round her shoulders before heading down for breakfast. On the way she stops at the study and looks inside, hoping it hasn't been cleaned up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"None of us are going anywhere today, it seems," says Alexander to the others when he goes downstairs for breakfast. "If last night's prankster or pranksters are still here, they aren't going anywhere either. This could be our chance to finally figure out who's behind this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The Study has been left undisturbed as instructed.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Well, I still think pixies are the culprits. There's plenty of stories about them here on the moors. I might do some research in the library as it looks like we are snowed in today. We should go over the study with a tooth comb too." Says Isolde as they sit down to breakfast. She keeps quiet about her ideas once Lady Amanda arrives however.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, I shall do that," says Alexander. "I'd like to research the conflict with the Romans, but there will be plenty of time for that later, and the books will still be there. The evidence in the study is fresh."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda looks more drawn than ever. There are dark circles under her eyes, and she picks listlessly at her food. She barely registers the conversation around her.

Ursula looks pale and withdrawn too, but she steals occasional worried glances at her mother. Josephine attempts to make conversation about the snow, but soon gives up on the two of them as they are unwilling to communicate. She turns to the companions.

McKenzie tells us that it won’t be possible to use the carriage any longer. But luckily we’re not completely cut off – we have the sleigh. He will prepare it after breakfast.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That would be good, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "A sleigh ride sounds like just the thing." He only hopes that whoever was responsible for last night's incident hasn't stolen it and left them trapped here, although that would make it easy to identify the culprit. All they'd have to do is find out who's missing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Would a sleigh ride be safe? As a means to reach the train station it is justified maybe." Isolde looks concerned but doesn't voice her thoughts about 'accidents'.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy nods in agreement with Isolde. "You won't catch me riding on that thing unless our lives depend on it. Are you well, your ladyship? You look rather pale."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda looks up from her plate, and mutters something unintelligible.

Standing behind her, Howard coughs and says "It's very unlikely that any trains will be running after this snow, I'm afraid. But we might get word later today."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I don't know what the snow has been doing during the night but might there be tracks on the ground? Or they could be getting in through a hole or a... gate in the house somewhere?" Isolde still has her mind on pixies.
"If there is no proof that humans have been causing the disturbances then my idea, however implausible, may be the only answer."
She lapses into thought and looks at the drawn Lady Amanda. She comes to a decision,
"Your Ladyship, we have found nothing supernatural and no proof of any people here being the cause. The only other explanation is something between the two.
Have you ever heard or seen anything like a pixie or other fey creature here? I only say this because I think that is what I saw and heard last night."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam stifled a yawn as he picked at his food. He would be making his way to the study to see if he could see what had caused the previous night’s disturbance as soon as they had finished.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Several pairs of eyes stare at Isolde with a mixture of incredulity and amazement. Lady Amanda looks particularly aghast; her mouth hangs open, making her look the opposite of her usual refined self.

“P…pixies?” she manages to stammer.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde lifts her chin and her eyes flash. "You may laugh but that is what I think. After we have examined the study I intend to find something in the library to back my idea up."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda's expression is unreadable as she stares at Isolde.

"Pixies?" she repeats. "There are... pixies in the house?"

She shakes her head, baffled. Shakily, she addresses Ursula.

"Ursula dearest, when the snow has melted we will be taking a trip away for a while. I hope you will accompany us, Josephine".

"Of course, Madame" Josephine replies, looking bewildered.

Amanda stands up and leaves the room, shortly followed by Howard, Josephine and a confused Ursula, who casts a glance back at the companions as she goes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam broke the silence with a question. ”What makes you think that pixies might be involved?” He wasn’t sceptical, just matter of fact. At this stage, he would consider any suggestion that might offer a resolution to their situation.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Pixies or something like them, goblins maybe; I don't really know the difference. But I do know what I heard last night; high pitched chattering and I saw a shadow of something small.

It could have been children but could they have pulled that heavy picture off the wall? And the only child we've seen around here is that gipsy boy. Add on that Hobs Field is like Hobgoblin and that the stone is reputed to be a door to faeryland.

And the story about the druids that summoned goblins out of the ground to kill all those roman soldiers. What if that 1600s gypsy witch had something to do with druids and goblins and used her connections to put her curse into effect.

I know it sounds preposterous but has anyone a better idea?" Isolde looks at each of her companions.
"At least it seems to have convinced Lady Amanda to leave here."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m not sure it was the talk of pixies that forced her Ladyship to leave,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”As much as the realisation that after all our time here, we have little to offer her other than fairy tales...”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think it is more likely that the culprit or culprits are human than pixies," says Alexander. "The gypsy boy isn't the only child around here. Ursula is a child as well. I don't believe she would do anything like this on purpose, but she is known to sleepwalk. Pulling the picture off the wall doesn't require anywhere near as much strength as putting it up would. Gravity is on one's side in this case."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Burnt Man”