Page 1 of 1

Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 am
by HoneyDog
Sunday, December 19th

Bargrove Hall, 9am

The faces of the residents of Bargrove Hall are tired and wan this morning. Ursula picks at her food and barely looks up from her plate, watched all the time concernedly by Josephine. Lady Amanda’s face is set in a grim scowl, and she is lost in her thoughts. She doesn’t touch her food.

“I won’t be going to services in the village this morning” she suddenly announces to Howard. “I will pray in the chapel.”

“Very good, Ma’am” replies Howard, implacably.
Melody,[b]Melody[/b] is breakfasting as usual with the other servants. The driver [b]McKenzie [/b]is unusually absent, but he soon turns up with surprising news. [color=#000080]“Ach, ah found the oddest thing in the stables!” [/color]he announces. [color=#000080]“Somebody’s bin at the horses! Which one of ye’s bin in there, eh?”[/color] The others react with shock and surprise, and when pressed to provide more information, [b]McKenzie[/b] says [color=#000080]“Thur manes have bin all knotted an’ plaited! Somebody’s must ‘av done it. Which one of ye was it?”[/color] He is quite irate, and it takes a while for the others to convince him that they know nothing about it. Eventually he calms down, satisfied by their earnest denials. [ooc]Melody can roll Occult.[/ooc]

Re: Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:34 pm
by Rooter
"We got along well with Reverend Whatshisname when we met him," Percy says. "I'm sure we'd all be welcome."

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Reverend Sherbrooke," says Alexander. "I doubt that he is the issue. The problem is that the whole village will be there."

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:56 am
by Raiko
Melody,[spoiler]Occult(15%) Roll: [dice]0[/dice][/spoiler] [b]Melody[/b] has absolutely no idea what this might mean, but suspects that [b]Miss Beauchant[/b] might know. [i]Or perhaps [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] - he probably knows a thing or two about horses.[/i] She asks [b]McKenzie[/b], [color=#FF0040]"Have you ever seen anything like this before?"[/color]

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:24 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m sorry that I spoke so abruptly last night,” said Captain FitzWilliam to Lady Allingham. ”I was merely frustrated that we are making slow progress in determining the cause of these manifestations and resolving them.”
OOC,I’m all in favour of going to the church. Keep the pressure on anyone who may have been involved in Lord Allingham’s death.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm
by aine
"I'd like to go to church." Says Isolde. "Do you know if Melody has sowed her rumours yet? It might be interesting to watch for any reactions from the congregation. It's a shame we couldn't have primed Reverend Sherbrooke to give a relevant sermon." She pokes at her kippers,
"And I'm sorry, Josephine, for my words last night; my tiredness and frustration are no excuse for what I said."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's a good idea," says Alexander. "I havena seen her yet this morning since we went to breakfast."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#000080]“Crivvens! Nay, lassie” [/color][b]McKenzie[/b] exclaims. [color=#408000]“I ‘eard that there’re gypsies camping over at Darkmere”[/color] says one of the male servants. “[color=#408000]That’s probably your culprits.”[/color]
Lady Amanda bows her head, accepting the companions’ explanations, and Josephine graciously accepts the apology and apologises in turn.

“If you think you should attend, please do so” Amanda says. “I won’t set foot in the village until this matter is resolved.”

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
”Your presence may, as they say, put the cat among the pigeons,” replied Captain FitzWilliam thoughtfully.

”If you are prepared to go through with it, your presence might aid our investigation.”
OOC,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] will want to return to his room to collect something from his luggage before heading to the church.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm
by Rooter
Percy politely inquires as to Misses Josephine and Ursula's plans.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 pm
by aine
"Yes, we would be happy to accompany Ursula and Josephine if you would like them to attend church." Says Isolde. "And remember, everyone, we are planning to be at Hobs Field at sunset tonight, if that is still acceptable with your Ladyship? In which case we'll need warm blankets and hot flasks in the carriage later plus lanterns, I think."

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:33 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’m sorry, it’s out of the question” says Lady Amanda firmly. Ursula will stay here. We will pray in the family chapel. Of course, the séance will be carried out. You have McKenzie and his coach at disposal. Good luck, and please be careful.”

Amanda indicates that her breakfast is finished. Josephine and Ursula follow her as she leaves.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, let's the rest of us be off to the church, then," says Alexander. "We shall see what fruits have sprung from the seeds Melody has planted."

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:37 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[quote="HoneyDog"][color=#FF0000]“If you think you should attend, please do so”[/color] [b]Amanda[/b] says. [color=#FF0000]“I won’t set foot in the village until this matter is resolved.”[/color] [/quote] I was getting confused. I misread the above as “If you think I should attend (church)...” I blame it on being full of cold and not getting enough sleep :( Happy to proceed to the church.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Please wait for Melody to finish.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:58 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Were there any footprints or other signs of a disturbance?"[/color] asks [b]Melody[/b]. [color=#FF0040]"Anyway I expect that the culprits will show themselves when [b]Miss Isode[/b] conducts her seance in Hobs Field, especially if the Captain has his way and the old stone is moved again"[/color] She shakes her head in disapproval, [color=#FF0040]"My mother always said that such things are best left undisturbed, but it's not my place to disagree with the plans of the society. "No good will come of it though, I'm sure."[/color] If none of the servants react, then [b]Melody[/b] will wish them a good day and go to join the rest of the society.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,McKenzie shakes his head at Melody’s question. [color=#000080]“Best stay away from yon field, I think”[/color] he says sadly.
Melody rejoins the companions and they get ready to leave. As they exit the house, they are surprised at the appearance of a teenage boy, who seemed about ready to knock at the door.

He has a dark complexion and is dressed in simple but comfortable clothing. His eyes and hair are wild, and he is careful not to meet the eyes of the companions as he tries to peer around the door.

“Good day to yer” he announces. “I was lookin’ fer food”.

Howard wrinkles his nose in disdain.

“Be off with you, lad” he says sternly.

The boy frowns and looks ready to leave.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm
by Philulhu
Something about the boy’s appearance makes Captain FitzWilliam think twice. ”Are you all right, lad? You don’t look yourself.”

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm
by Raiko

Oh he must be one of the gypies!

"Wait!" Melody turns to the butler, "Surely we spare a little food for the boy? I could go hungry myself if you cannot spare a little. It is the Lord's day after all."

She smiles. (OOC: And whatever Victorians did in place of fluttering eyelashes)

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 pm
by aine
Before Howard had a chance to rebuke Melody for her outburst, Isolde says, "It would only be Christian to give this boy food on such a cold day as this; please could you arrange something, Howard." And she turns to the boy and says, "What is your bane and where are you camped?"

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Alexander. "It's the least we can do to spare some of our food. I'll gladly give the lad some from my share. It's nearly Christmas, too. Surely there are enough ghosts here without inviting the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future here for a visit."

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
The warm welcome from the companions seems to take the boy by surprise and he grins broadly, a smile which lights up his face. To be honest, he doesn’t particularly appear underfed, although he could do with a bath.

Faced with the storm of outrage, Howard grudgingly retreats back inside to fetch some morsels for the lad.

“I’m Reuben Petulengro he says to Isolde. “We’re camped over at Darkmere.”

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you," says Alexander. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. Tell me, are you familiar with old stories and legends about the area?"

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
“You want my great-great-grandma” says Reuben. “She’s our wise woman. She knows everything there is to know about everything.”

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:08 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - The Wise Woman,I can’t be the only person who instantly thinks of this Blackadder sketch when I hear the words ‘the wise woman’... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VByDD_zZbXM:

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd love to meet her," says Alexander.
OOC,The same thought crossed my mind too, the first time you mentioned a "wise woman" earlier in the game.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am
by Rooter
Percy turns to the coach driver. "Perhaps we could make a detour on the way to the village?"

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I know the game has gone on for a long time so please take the time to review what information you've learned so far and make sure you've shared it. Alexander and Isolde learned information from the books in the library, and Melody heard something in the kitchen earlier. Could any of this be relevant?
Reuben shakes his head at Percy.

"You're welcome to come and visit, but you won't be able to get there by any coach. You'll have to walk, like I did."

A servant appears, carrying a bundle of food which she hands to Reuben.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"How do we get there?" asks Alexander. "Perhaps we'll drop by after church."
OOC,I can't remember that far back. I did a search, but I only came up with [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=217243#p217243]this post[/url], which I thought I had already shared.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:45 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, you can come with me now if you like. I don't know if we'll be there later."

Reuben looks up at the sky, which is a pale white colour.

"It looks like it will snow soon, maybe tonight."

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, in that case, at least some of us should go with you now," says Alexander. "I'd like to go."

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:49 am
by Philulhu
”The doc’s say I need to exercise my leg, so I’ll come with you,” saidCaptain FitzWilliam, and he tapped his leg with his walking stick.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:40 am
by Rooter
Percy also goes along to see the gypsies.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm
by aine
"It was a gypsy wise woman that cursed the Allinghams in the 15th century." Murmurs Isolde, "You'd best watch your step; if the gypsies are regular visitors here then maybe they might be the ones who put the stone back up...or worse." She says to those leaving with the gypsy boy.
"I will go to the church then; these skirts will hamper me too much on a long rough walk, besides, it is too beastly cold. Melody could come with me if she wishes." She says to Alexander. "And then I'll continue in the library; I still haven't finished those books that might prove interesting."
ooc,[quote]The search has taken several tiring hours but the investigators have turned up two items of interest. One is a slim, privately-printed leather-bound book entitled A History of Bargrove Parish, dating from 1750, and written by a Thomas Worthington. It seems to detail facts and legends about the area. The other is a thick, gilt-embossed book written by the late Charles Allingham while he was a student at Cambridge, and printed solely for the Allingham family. It is named The Allinghams of Bargrove Hall.[/quote] we didn't read these so Isolde will read them after church. Isolde also found the reference to the local druids v romans death match in a book but I can't find the post/thread for it.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, good thinking," says Alexander. "It was actually the 17th century, so not quite so long ago, but I rather doubt it's the same wise woman. She could be her descendant, however. Such things often run in the family."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm
by Raiko

"Certainly Miss Beauchant, I'll accompany you to the church."says Melody.

"Did you visit the stable Reuben?" she asks the young gypsy with a smile. "Somebody braided the horses' manes last night and the servants mentioned the gypsy camp."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm
by HoneyDog
Reuben looks mystified.

“’Braiding the horses’ manes’?” he queries. “Whatever for?”
OOC,All apart from Melody may roll Occult.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:45 pm
by Raiko

"I've no idea." Melody replies, "I'm afraid I barely know the front a horse from the back.

Mr McKenzie the driver was quite angry though, he was sure that one of the other servants was playing tricks on him, but they convinced him it must have been gypsies."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:43 pm
by aine
"Oh goodness, braided manes!" Isolde grows pale.
occult,(41%) roll:8

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam - Occult Roll,Occult - 5% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"It doesn't sound like His Lordship's ghost could have been responsible," says Alexander. "I can't imagine him doing such a thing."
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the braided manes: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:23 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde,Isolde knows a ghost wouldn't be responsible. This phenomenon is associated with witches, or faeries.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:58 pm
by aine
"It sounds like a witches knot. Witches braid the mane when casting a spell using knot magic. Which may be the case if there is a witch amongst the gypsies. Folklore also says that the knots are made by fairies. I rather believe the former though. Maybe the gypsies are still cursing the Allinghams or someone wants the gypsies to take the blame. Whichever, it isn't good news." Isolde shakes her head.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I agree with your conclusion," says Alexander.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll begin two new subthreads for each group later.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde and Melody arrive back at Bargrove Manor before the men, who stagger in later, utterly exhausted. They are revitalized by hot baths and hot brandy, together with a fortifying lunch.

Intelligence gathered in the morning’s excursions is discussed, and plans are made, as the sky outside fades to a deep white, and the temperature continues to drop.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:53 pm
by aine
Isolde concludes her account with, "So nobody at the church was too bothered by our activities. However, the village spokesman warned us repeatedly not to tamper with the stone and the Reverend was not even happy about us holding a seance at the stone- and yet no one will tell us why! It's so exasperating!" Isolde flings up her hands in disgust.
"Please tell me you had better luck." She says to the men.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:12 pm
by Philulhu
”Not especially,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, wearily. ”Very much a statement of what we already know. They claim Hob’s Field is cursed, but we got little more than that from them.”

“The said that they had no hand in Lord Allingham’s death and the only other thing of note that they said was that the curse on the Allingham’s would not be lifted until an Allingham man repents for the actions of their ancestor.”

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"They warned us off from the stone too," says Alexander, "but they wouldn't say why. How can an Allingham man repent when there are none left? Or are there? Perhaps we should look into recent family history. There could be a relative we didn't know of. Whoever he is, he'd have to have been born less than forty years ago."

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 am
by Philulhu
”While the Allingham family survives, their is an option for a male heir,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”Lady Allingham is unlikely to have any more children unless she remarries, so that leaves Ursula’s progeny, if she has any.”

”Did we ever determine whether Walter and Charles Allingham had any offspring?”

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't recall even considering it before," says Alexander. "Anything is possible. Even if they had not been married, sometimes young men..." He clears his throat. "The Reverend would no doubt know if there were any children. He seems to know everything about everyone around here."

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:53 am
by Philulhu
”Well, for God’s sake be discreet! If Lady Allingham gets wind of any hint that we thought her husband had been unfaithful or sired a child outside of marriage, she’d likely have us horsewhipped all the way back to London, even if it does mean the family curse is lifted!” said Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:13 pm
by Rooter
"Wouldn't the servants be a more likely and convenient source of such gossip?" Percy suggests.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm
by aine
"Perhaps Melody could ask the servants; they'd be unlikely to tell one of us for fear of their jobs. I could ask Rev. Shelbrook when I see him tomorrow. From what we learnt about the disposition of many of the Allingham men, I'd say there must be a fair few descendants on th other side of the blanket. However, doesn't the curse only affect the direct heirs?

I suppose Ursula must be safe, being female." Isolde sighs. "And now I'm having doubts about holding a seance tonight but I don't know what else we can do."

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see what we can discover today," says Alexander. "Then we can decide what to do next based on what we learn. Melody would be ideally suited to talking to the servants. I shall consult the book I found on the Allingham family and see if we may have missed any out."

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:42 pm
by aine
I'll come with you to the library, Dr McKenzie. I never finished reading my book either. Plus that Allingham book might be worth a look.
Ooc,[quote]One is a slim, privately-printed leather-bound book entitled A History of Bargrove Parish, dating from 1750, and written by a Thomas Worthington. It seems to detail facts and legends about the area. The other is a thick, gilt-embossed book written by the late Charles Allingham while he was a student at Cambridge, and printed solely for the Allingham family. It is named The Allinghams of Bargrove Hall.[/quote]

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:53 am
by HoneyDog
Melody spends the afternoon making discreet enquiries about the possibility of any other distant members of the Allingham family existing, but the servants haven’t heard of anything. It seems that there were only William, Amanda and Ursula.

Alexander and Isolde consult their books again, but learn nothing further than what they already know.

By the time they have finished, evening is drawing in, and outside, the moors are beginning to freeze over in the cold.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"It appears that Lady Amanda and Ursula are the last of the Allinghams, at least as far as we can tell," says Alexander.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:41 am
by Philulhu
”For now, at least,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”But at some point in the future, if either were to bear a male child...”

”So what do we intend to do?” he continued. ”Do we still plan to hold a seance in the field tonight?”

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:18 pm
by aine
"I'm happy to go ahead with it but we'd better go now before it gets dark. Hopefully the carriage is stocked and ready to go. We might find it's too cold but we can at least try. Let's meet in a quarter of an hour in the hall." Isolde stands up ready to leave.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
”In which case, I will fetch my scarf and gloves,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, and he headed upstairs to his room.
OOC - GM,[b]FitzWilliam[/b] will take his revolver with him, fully loaded, with a dozen spare rounds in his pocket.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, if you think it best, we'll go now," says Alexander. He too goes to dress warmly.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 am
by HoneyDog
McKenzie unwillingly agrees to drive the companions out to Hob’s Field. The temperature is approaching freezing now as the sun goes down, and it is bitterly cold. A layer of frost covers the ground, and it is clear from the sky that they will see snow tonight.
OOC,After 30 minutes the characters will start to suffer from the cold, and have to roll for Hit Point loss.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 pm
by aine
"My goodness, it's even colder than I thought possible! Let's do this as quickly as possible." Isolde takes her small bag of equipment and leads the way over the frozen ground to the stone. "We have less than ten minutes to sunset would you say, Doctor?" Isolde looks southwest to see any glimmer of the last of the weak sun before the storm.
"Here, everyone take a lantern and walk in a circle around the stone. Isolde stands next to the stone with her crystal ball and lantern on the floor and holds her arms up,
"Hear me, Spirits! Walk for a moment amongst us by this cursed stone. We are here to listen to your voices, to hear your story. Now is your chance to speak!"
Isolde looks down, watching her crystal ball.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, aye," says Alexander, glancing up at the sky. He takes up his lantern and walks around the stone as instructed, trying not to let his skepticism show. He's relieved that there's no such thing as curses, or he would have been afraid.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam took one of the lanterns and joined in the walk around the standing stone. He could feel the cold as it nipped his face and his breath fogged in front of him.

His spare hand was buried deep in his coat pocket and he scanned the area constantly, keeping an eye out for trouble.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am
by Rooter
Percy shuffles wearily along with the others. He gives the stone a kick in passing to encourage the spirits.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
The only sound, apart from the rising wind, is the crunch of the companion’s footsteps in the frost around the stone. The area is quiet.
Percy,Roll Luck.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm
by Rooter
Roll,Luck 70%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 pm
by aine
Frost forms on the crystal ball, obscuring whatever is happening within. As a last resort, Isolde turns and places her hands on the stone and, throwing her mind out to the other plane, she whispers, "Allingham, Allingham, do you hear me?"

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy’s toe connects painfully with the ancient stone, and he cries out in pain, his voice echoing through the still evening. But no reply comes.
Percy,Lose 1 HP.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Clumsy buffoon!” muttered Captain FitzWilliam sotto voce as he trudged around the stone...

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm
by aine
"Oh really!" Isolde exclaims. "This just isn't working. It's too cold and I can't detect anything." Isolde hits the stone in disgust. "Thank you for at least trying but I suggest we all go home before we freeze."

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Alexander, shivering. "You don't need to tell me twice. Let's not spend another minute outdoors more than we have to."

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am
by Philulhu
”So what next?” demanded Captain FitzWilliam, who was reluctant to move, despite the cold. ”If this doesn’t work, what else have we got to try?”
OOC,Are we missing something? So far, we don’t seem to be having much luck in attracting the attention of the late Lord Allingham.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm
by aine
Isolde picks up the crystal ball and puts it away.
"Well, we've had no spirital response of any sort- nothing. Which in itself could be significant. There's almost the antithesis of supernatural presence here. Come what may though, there's nothing for the Seekers of Enlightenment in this case. I suggest we discuss what we are to do once we're back at the hall." Isolde turns and strides angrily across the field.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have to agree," says Alexander, following her back, "though I still think solving an occult murder with no supernatural elements is still worth our while. Perhaps we can try another vigil tonight and get to the bottom of these odd happenings."

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
McKenzie returns the frozen companions back to Bargrove Hall, where they eagerly warm themselves before the Study fire. The news that the latest séance has still not led to contact with the deceased Sir William provokes an outburst from Lady Amanda, however.

“When exactly are you going to contact William for me?” she says tightly. “So far you’ve found nothing! When can I find out what’s going on around here?”

Her voice is rising to a fever pitch. Howard hovers anxiously in the background.

“We’re in mortal danger here!” she hisses. “Something is coming for us! For Ursula! I can feel it!”

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then we must set a watch, to protect you and Ursula," said Alexander.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am
by Rooter
"Can you be more specific about this something?" Percy asks in a calming tone. "Why would anyone wish to harm your daughter?"

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
“They hate our family!” snarls Amanda. “Those damned villagers!”

Her fury is barely suppressed and she looks on the verge of losing control.

“They can’t be allowed to harm us again!”

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm
by aine
Isolde gives her colleagues a warning glance.
"Your Ladyship, my colleagues and I will have a meeting after dinner to discuss our findings. We will give you a report in the morning. Until then, I can only suggest you seriously consider the option of taking Ursula away for a few months. Prehaps the Riviera."
She looks at the others again for their acquiescence.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam kept quiet. He didn’t think they knew what the cause was and didn’t think that taking Ursula away was any guarantee of her safety.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander nods, surprised by how much he finds himself agreeing with Isolde considering their disparate views.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am
by HoneyDog
Amanda goes to the window and looks out to the frozen moor.

“Perhaps you’re right. It might be good to get Ursula away from here for a while. But the snow is coming now. We may be stuck here.”

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we'll have to see what the weather holds on the morrow," says Alexander. "We canna control it." Yet, he thinks.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 pm
by aine
Isolde listens to the storm building up.
"If you are unable to leave the hall then at least no one will be able to reach it to make trouble either. Let Ursula sleep with you tonight and let's hope the railway is still open on the morrow. I hope you sleep well enough, Lady Amanda." To everyone else she says,
"Shall we adjourn in the library; it has a nice fire and the servants can clear away the dinner."

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's," says Alexander.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
After dinner is over the companions collect in the library. The fire is blazing, which helps to shut out some of the intense cold which is seeping through the walls. The house begins to settle down for the evening, as family and staff retire to bed.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It seems as though every avenue of investigation we try is a dead end," says Alexander. "Does anyone have any ideas for what we can do tomorrow?"

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 pm
by aine
Isolde sits down by the fire.
"No, nothing. Personally, I think there are no supernatural causes to this case. We've detected no paranormal disturbances and no disruption in the energies here or Hobs field. I do agree that it was an occult murder but it was purely mundane.

Other than trying to track down the local Druid society I can't think of any other avenues.
Her Ladyship is not going to be impressed though."

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
”The only thing that occurs to me is that we move that accursed stone,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I fear nothing but ill would come of it, but I’m not sure what else to suggest.”

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that would be a way to flush out whoever raised it back," says Alexander, "as they'll no doubt want to do so again. If we keep watch on the stone, we can see who it is - and how they do it."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
by Rooter
Percy is doubtful. "How would you move the stone without hiring those workers? And how would you keep watch without freezing to death?"

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,It would be worthwhile to review the strange occurrences and see if there is anything which links the stone to what is going on at the house.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm
by aine
"The stone seems the most likely catalyst for a reaction but, I agree, it is too beastly cold. Lady Amanda is sure that the disturbances at the house are connected to the murder. I personally haven't seen or heard anything during the night and only that mandela on the kitchen floor, apparently, was proof in the morning.

Again, we've seen nothing supernatural and I can't think why these disturbances occur; why anyone would bother. If indeed they are happening. I think Ursula's dreams would stop if she was taken away from here. Lady Amanda had been reading occult books; maybe they have been giving her flights of fancy." Isolde finishes darkly.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Think about what you learned about the stone - is there anything to connect it to events at the estate?

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Both [b]Ursula[/b] and I had dreams about the murder, where [b]William[/b] was bound on the stone (which lay on the ground at the time). That's all I've got.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 am
by Rooter
"We may not have found evidence of anything supernatural but we have found evidence of occult activity," Percy replies consideringly. "We know the stone has arcane significance and didn't you say that occurrence of the horses' tails being tied in a pattern also does, Isolde? So these occurrences could be linked to the stone and that could mean someone who has access to the house was involved in the murder."

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm
by aine
"I assumed that the gypsies made the witches knots in the horses manes and that they'd easily gain access to the stables but not so much the house. Did you ask them about the horses' manes or if any of them practiced witchcraft?" Isolde looks at all her companions. "Or if any of them were druids?"

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"We didna have much chance," says Alexander. "We had only time to ask about the stone before we were told to leave, and we didna get much answered about that either, nor could we press the matter further. I like dogs as much as the next bloke, but I'd rather not have them try to chew my face off."

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam nodded in agreement. ”Doctor Campbell has it right. They were in no mood to talk. They denied any part in his lordship’s death but got decidedly prickly when we started asking questions about Hob’s Field and the stone. They said was evil and we should stay away.”

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 pm
by aine
"Hmm, just like the villagers. I'm sure they all know something but just aren't telling. I wonder if Melody and I might have better luck approaching the women." Isolde stands up and paces across the room and back. "It's so fustrating! But we have to tell Lady Amanda something in the morning. Anyone got any ideas?"

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"It strikes me as odd that whenever there's one of these strange occurrences, the servants always clean up the evidence before we can see it, even after being specifically instructed not to," says Alexander. "I have to wonder if there are some among them who are responsible. They do have free access to the house, being already inside and knowing it top to bottom."

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:13 pm
by Philulhu
Miss Melody,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”Have you come across any of the staff behaving strangely?”

Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll have to npc Melody for now.
"No, I can't say that I have. They all seem fairly honest and genuinely concerned by what's going on. I don't think it's them."

She thinks for a moment. "Do any of you remember what the Reverend told us about the standing stone?" she asks.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He did mention that one of the villagers had told him a story he had heard from his grandmother," says Alexander. "Something about pixies having been seen cavorting about the stone, then opening a door in it and entering it, and the witness was struck blind. I didn't think much of this tale, but even the most bizarre of legends may have a basis in fact. There could be a hidden compartment in the stone. We should examine it closely."

Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 pm
by aine
"Maybe we've had all the timings wrong. There could still be a supernatural aspect to all this but we've just been missing it because we've been in the right place but at the wrong time. Perhaps, when there's a disturbance at the house then something is also happening at the stone." Isolde smiles suddenly, "If they pulled the stone over and blocked the path to faeryland then no wonder somebody got rather cross!

I would like to discover if the disturbances are connected to the house or to Ursula; maybe by removing her from the picture, unless you have a better idea. We should examine the stone minutely; Melody and I can visit the gypsies and talk to the women this time and we can try to catch a disturbance in the act, as it were. Tonight if you feel up to it."

Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The problem is that it will be freezing out there at night," says Alexander. "I don't think the disturbances are tied to Ursula, as I had a dream too, but getting her away from the house would be best for her safety if we can convince her mother."

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 am
by Philulhu
The stone seems to be intrinsically linked to this mystery,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”We should examine it closely in the morning, and not just the stone but the surroundings as well, to see if there is any sign of this ‘gateway’”.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 pm
by Rooter
Percy doesn't feel up to hiking across any more fields with his damaged foot. He elects to remain behind at the house and perhaps see if he can find anything about pixies either in the library or talking to the local staff.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm
by aine
"Poor Percy, you won't be up to walking anywhere tomorrow. What about tonight? I feel like staying up to about one to see if any disturbances happen." Says Isolde.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's hold our vigil again," says Alexander. "One of us should stay close to Ursula, as the disturbances tend to affect her, and she can walk in her sleep and have nightmares."

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 pm
by aine
"Well I will stay downstairs even if Ursula cries out; maybe something is happening whilst she is having her nightmares." Says Isolde.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 pm
by Philulhu
”Very well,” said Captain FitzWilliam, shortly. He felt absolutely exhausted but the sooner this was over, the sooner he could go home again.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,Roll Library Use.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Library Use 55%[dice]0[/dice]
Percy remains on watch upstairs.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm
by aine
Isolde slowly makes a circuit of the ground floor from the kitchen to the hall, library, study, billiard room and back again.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Apart from Isolde, where will the others be?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll stay near [b]Ursula[/b] if nobody else does; otherwise, I'll be in the study again.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 pm
by Rooter
OOC,Percy will patrol the upstairs hallway.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:10 am
by Philulhu
OOC,FitzWilliam will cover the stairway and surrounding rooms, as last time.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:22 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions take up their positions for the night, as the cold takes over the house. It is quiet again as the servants and family are snug in their beds, only our heroes are braving the cold.

As Isolde is patrolling the corridors, exchanging a word with FitzWillliam, they both hear what sounds like a loud giggling coming from the library.
Isolde & FitzWilliam,Roll Listen.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:55 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam stopped as he heard the noise and listened carefully.
OOC,Listen (25%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm
by aine
Isolde stops with her hand on the Captain's arm. She whispers,"You go, I'll keep watch for anyone in the corridor; or people trying to escape." She mutters under her breath.
Listen 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam nodded briskly, then moved up to the door and opened it sharply. He stepped into the library and said, ”Who’s there?! Show yourself!”

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde,There is something strange about the quality of the voice – high-pitched but guttural. Isolde might wonder if it comes from a human mouth…
There is no answer to FitzWilliam’s challenge. In the corner, there is the sound which furniture makes when it scrapes across the floor.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam crossed the room quickly, in the direction of the corner. ”This has gone on long enough!” he snapped. ”Come out at once!”

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:15 pm
by aine
Isolde keeps her thoughts to herself for the moment and waits patiently in the shadows, watching and listening as an idea formulates in her mind.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Silence greets FitzWilliam again. As Isolde waits, she sees a small shadowy figure disappear out the door.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 pm
by aine
Isolde follows it as quietly as she can.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde rushes to the corridor, but whatever caused the shadow is gone. As she stands, scanning the corridor, there is a loud crash from the direction of the study. In the quiet of the night, it must be audible all over the house.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam heard the crash but quickly decided to ignore it and moved up to the corner of the room, to see had made the scraping noise.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 pm
by aine
"Not again!" Thinks Isolde as she hurries to the study.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 am
by Rooter
Percy also hurries to the study on hearing the crash.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam seizes upon the area where the noise came from. His heart beating, he pulls back a chair – making an identical scraping sound – but there is nothing there.

Isolde and Percy rush to the study. They burst in and look around.

Although the room is ill-lit by their lanterns and the faint moonlight seeping through the curtains, they are able to see the source of the noise. The portrait of Sir William, which had hung above the fireplace, has been removed and now is upside-down in the ashes of the fire. The heavy oak frame is smashed; obviously the source of the noise.

The face of Sir William seems to be obscured by something.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander races to the study. "The one time I don't have my vigil in the study..." he mutters under his breath.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 am
by Rooter
Percy moves to the fireplace and carefully examines the face of the painting.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm
by HoneyDog
The investigators are soon joined by members of the household staff, including Josephine and the butler, Howard. Shivering in the cold, they regard the fallen portrait silently.

Percy stoops and examines the painting more closely. Gingerly touching the dark form obscuring the features of Sir William, he holds his fingers up to the light so that he can see better.
Percy,Percy is fairly certain that it is blood.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 pm
by aine
"Please, everyone else stand back. Let the captain examine it first. Can anyone see anything else odd in the room?" Isolde commands. She takes a small crystal on a silver chain from her pocket and starts to slowly pace the room with the crystal dangling from her fingers. She watches it intently.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander searches the room for any traces of someone's presence, both around the fireplace and near exits, such as footprints.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:22 am
by Philulhu
Having heard Miss Beauchamp mention his name, Captain FitzWilliam quickly made his way to the study. He eased himself through the throng the examine the painting, and like Percy, touched the blood+lik e substance that obscured the portrait’s face. He held his finger’s to his nose, where he expected the coppery smell would confirm that it was blood.

That done, he lifted the frame from the cold fireplace to turn it the right way up once more, to see if there was anything special about the way that his Lordship’s face had been obscured.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm
by aine
"We have the matter in hand, unless anyone has any questions for you, you can go back to bed." Isolde tells the butler and housekeeper. She puts her crystal away with a satisfied manner and then looks pointedly at the servants.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
Both Howard and the housekeeper look taken aback, and ready to argue, but at that moment Ursula’s cries can be heard upstairs.

“We’d better check on her” says Howard, and he ushers the staff out of the room. Melody accompanies them.

Nothing else in the room appears to have been disturbed and there are no signs of intruders. It is clear though that the picture could not have accidently fallen – it must have been removed from its hook and dropped.

The blood, for that is indeed what the substance is, covers Sir William’s face.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 pm
by Philulhu
”Does anyone know what the significance of the blood on Sir William’s face might be?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Miss Beauchamp - is this something you have heard of before?”

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 pm
by aine
"Now that the servants have gone we can speak freely. I hope they didn't realise it was blood." Isolde says as she stoops to look at the picture.
"The captain and I almost caught the...malefactors in the act. I heard them and saw a shadow flit across the wall. It was the size of a small child and the sound was high pitched chattering only, how should I put it? Only more gutteral. It didn't sound human that's for sure."

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I go to keep watch on Ursula instead of the study and something happens here," says Alexander. "I rush here, and something happens with Ursula. It's like somebody knows."

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 am
by Rooter
"Must be the pixies, I dare say," Percy says only half-jokingly.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm
by aine
Isolde gives Percy a piercing stare.
"I know some circles says that the ancient Picts were the source of the old pixy legend but what if they're wrong? What if that stone really is a gateway to somewhere like fairyland and that fairies, pixies, whatever you want to call them are causing all the trouble? It certainly fits in with what I just saw and heard and it explains the lack of supernatural activity here."

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've seen no evidence of that," says Alexander, "but the stone is relevant. Look at everything that happened after it was toppled."

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Shall we move onto the next day?

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm
by aine
"Let's talk about it in the morning." Says Isolde. "I wish we could find out what sort of blood it is. Maybe we could have discovered where it came from." And with that she heads off to bed.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, there's naught we can do at the moment," says Alexander, also turning in for the night.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:13 am
by Philulhu
”Agreed,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”We might be able to make sense of this with a good night’s sleep.”

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am
by Rooter
Percy nods in agreement and follows to retire for the night.