Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

Post by HoneyDog »

Sunday, December 19th

Bargrove Hall, 9am

The faces of the residents of Bargrove Hall are tired and wan this morning. Ursula picks at her food and barely looks up from her plate, watched all the time concernedly by Josephine. Lady Amanda’s face is set in a grim scowl, and she is lost in her thoughts. She doesn’t touch her food.

“I won’t be going to services in the village this morning” she suddenly announces to Howard. “I will pray in the chapel.”

“Very good, Ma’am” replies Howard, implacably.
Melody,[b]Melody[/b] is breakfasting as usual with the other servants. The driver [b]McKenzie [/b]is unusually absent, but he soon turns up with surprising news. [color=#000080]“Ach, ah found the oddest thing in the stables!” [/color]he announces. [color=#000080]“Somebody’s bin at the horses! Which one of ye’s bin in there, eh?”[/color] The others react with shock and surprise, and when pressed to provide more information, [b]McKenzie[/b] says [color=#000080]“Thur manes have bin all knotted an’ plaited! Somebody’s must ‘av done it. Which one of ye was it?”[/color] He is quite irate, and it takes a while for the others to convince him that they know nothing about it. Eventually he calms down, satisfied by their earnest denials. [ooc]Melody can roll Occult.[/ooc]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

Post by Rooter »

"We got along well with Reverend Whatshisname when we met him," Percy says. "I'm sure we'd all be welcome."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Reverend Sherbrooke," says Alexander. "I doubt that he is the issue. The problem is that the whole village will be there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody,[spoiler]Occult(15%) Roll: [dice]0[/dice][/spoiler] [b]Melody[/b] has absolutely no idea what this might mean, but suspects that [b]Miss Beauchant[/b] might know. [i]Or perhaps [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] - he probably knows a thing or two about horses.[/i] She asks [b]McKenzie[/b], [color=#FF0040]"Have you ever seen anything like this before?"[/color]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m sorry that I spoke so abruptly last night,” said Captain FitzWilliam to Lady Allingham. ”I was merely frustrated that we are making slow progress in determining the cause of these manifestations and resolving them.”
OOC,I’m all in favour of going to the church. Keep the pressure on anyone who may have been involved in Lord Allingham’s death.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

"I'd like to go to church." Says Isolde. "Do you know if Melody has sowed her rumours yet? It might be interesting to watch for any reactions from the congregation. It's a shame we couldn't have primed Reverend Sherbrooke to give a relevant sermon." She pokes at her kippers,
"And I'm sorry, Josephine, for my words last night; my tiredness and frustration are no excuse for what I said."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, that's a good idea," says Alexander. "I havena seen her yet this morning since we went to breakfast."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Melody,[color=#000080]“Crivvens! Nay, lassie” [/color][b]McKenzie[/b] exclaims. [color=#408000]“I ‘eard that there’re gypsies camping over at Darkmere”[/color] says one of the male servants. “[color=#408000]That’s probably your culprits.”[/color]
Lady Amanda bows her head, accepting the companions’ explanations, and Josephine graciously accepts the apology and apologises in turn.

“If you think you should attend, please do so” Amanda says. “I won’t set foot in the village until this matter is resolved.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Your presence may, as they say, put the cat among the pigeons,” replied Captain FitzWilliam thoughtfully.

”If you are prepared to go through with it, your presence might aid our investigation.”
OOC,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] will want to return to his room to collect something from his luggage before heading to the church.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy politely inquires as to Misses Josephine and Ursula's plans.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yes, we would be happy to accompany Ursula and Josephine if you would like them to attend church." Says Isolde. "And remember, everyone, we are planning to be at Hobs Field at sunset tonight, if that is still acceptable with your Ladyship? In which case we'll need warm blankets and hot flasks in the carriage later plus lanterns, I think."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I’m sorry, it’s out of the question” says Lady Amanda firmly. Ursula will stay here. We will pray in the family chapel. Of course, the séance will be carried out. You have McKenzie and his coach at disposal. Good luck, and please be careful.”

Amanda indicates that her breakfast is finished. Josephine and Ursula follow her as she leaves.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, let's the rest of us be off to the church, then," says Alexander. "We shall see what fruits have sprung from the seeds Melody has planted."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[quote="HoneyDog"][color=#FF0000]“If you think you should attend, please do so”[/color] [b]Amanda[/b] says. [color=#FF0000]“I won’t set foot in the village until this matter is resolved.”[/color] [/quote] I was getting confused. I misread the above as “If you think I should attend (church)...” I blame it on being full of cold and not getting enough sleep :( Happy to proceed to the church.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Please wait for Melody to finish.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Were there any footprints or other signs of a disturbance?"[/color] asks [b]Melody[/b]. [color=#FF0040]"Anyway I expect that the culprits will show themselves when [b]Miss Isode[/b] conducts her seance in Hobs Field, especially if the Captain has his way and the old stone is moved again"[/color] She shakes her head in disapproval, [color=#FF0040]"My mother always said that such things are best left undisturbed, but it's not my place to disagree with the plans of the society. "No good will come of it though, I'm sure."[/color] If none of the servants react, then [b]Melody[/b] will wish them a good day and go to join the rest of the society.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Melody,McKenzie shakes his head at Melody’s question. [color=#000080]“Best stay away from yon field, I think”[/color] he says sadly.
Melody rejoins the companions and they get ready to leave. As they exit the house, they are surprised at the appearance of a teenage boy, who seemed about ready to knock at the door.

He has a dark complexion and is dressed in simple but comfortable clothing. His eyes and hair are wild, and he is careful not to meet the eyes of the companions as he tries to peer around the door.

“Good day to yer” he announces. “I was lookin’ fer food”.

Howard wrinkles his nose in disdain.

“Be off with you, lad” he says sternly.

The boy frowns and looks ready to leave.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Something about the boy’s appearance makes Captain FitzWilliam think twice. ”Are you all right, lad? You don’t look yourself.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Oh he must be one of the gypies!

"Wait!" Melody turns to the butler, "Surely we spare a little food for the boy? I could go hungry myself if you cannot spare a little. It is the Lord's day after all."

She smiles. (OOC: And whatever Victorians did in place of fluttering eyelashes)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Before Howard had a chance to rebuke Melody for her outburst, Isolde says, "It would only be Christian to give this boy food on such a cold day as this; please could you arrange something, Howard." And she turns to the boy and says, "What is your bane and where are you camped?"

Return to “The Burnt Man”