Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam,Roll DEXx5.
Isolde,Isolde sees Percy asleep in a chair. He suddenly comes awake with a start.
Alexander,With the wind and rain lashing his face, Alexander cannot see very much, but there seems to be no-one there. No-one answers his call. Nonetheless, he has the feeling of being watched.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander,[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNDc3YmY4N2UtYzBiNS00ZDYxLThlMDMtY2I4ZDVlNjgwMWI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY4NzE4NDI@._V1_UY100_CR16,0,100,100_AL_.jpg[/img] [b]Alexander[/b] shuts the window again and resumes his vigil.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,DEX check (5 x 11 = 55%) - [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam & Melody,FitzWilliam manages to slide the book against the doorframe before it closes.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy was dreaming and is confused when he awakes, unsure of where he is. His dream was of an indistinct but human shape, burning. Percy could hear screams, but was unable to move. He awakes to see Isolde skulking around the room.
Percy leaps to his feet. "Who? What? Where? Ah, Miss Beauchant! I was just resting my eyes for a moment."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam & Melody,Having wedged the book against the doorframe to prevent the door from closing, [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] tried the door to see if it would open.
Last edited by Philulhu on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody and FitzWilliam,[color=#FF0040]"That was close,"[/color] [b]Melody[/b] looks to see if there is any rational reason that the door was closing itself, then looks around the library to see if anything else unusual is happening.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam & Melody,The companions ope the door and peer into the corridor. There is nothing there, and the room itself is quiet, apart from the rain drumming against the windows.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Percy & Isolde,"What are you doing sitting here in the dark? Oh yes, keeping a lookout over the graveyard." Isolde says rather crossly; she's just been scared over nothing, or was it? She moves around the room looking in all the corners, feeling a lot more confident again, "Percy, did you hear that scratching noise or see something moving around in here?" Then she has a sudden thought and rushes back to Ursula's room, swinging open the door.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam & Melody,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] looked out into the hallway and then back into the room. [color=#800000]”Very strange, [b]Miss Melody[/b],”[/color] he said. [color=#800000]”I wonder what caused that?”[/color] He nudged the book out of the way, closed the door and tried to open it again, to see what happened.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isolde,Ursula’s bedroom is quiet – nothing seems to be out of place.
FitzWilliam & Melody,The door opens and closes normally without impediment.
Suddenly, screams start to come from the direction of Lady Amanda’s room. It sounds like Ursula.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander,[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNDc3YmY4N2UtYzBiNS00ZDYxLThlMDMtY2I4ZDVlNjgwMWI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY4NzE4NDI@._V1_UY100_CR16,0,100,100_AL_.jpg[/img] Taking the candle, [b]Alexander[/b] hurries to [b]Lady Amanda[/b]'s room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam & Melody,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] quickly ushered [b]Melody[/b] out of the library to make sure she wasn’t trapped if the door shut again, and broke into a run as he headed up the stairs in the direction of Ursula’s room.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Supposing the child is having another nightmare Percy moves to the doorway of the schoolroom and looks out into the corridor but remains watchful instead of hurrying away.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions, with the exception of the watchful Percy, rush to Lady Amanda’s room. They are joined by the housekeeper, Josephine and Howard the butler.

Josephine enters the room and shortly after confirms that poor Ursula has suffered from another nightmare. As she comforts the child, Lady Amanda appeals to the investigators.

Dark rings surround her eyes and it is plain to see know that the events are taking a terrible toll on her psyche.

Ursula saw the burning man again” she relates in a tight voice. She shakes her head, too full of emotion to articulate her thoughts. Abruptly, she turns and goes back inside her room, closing the door behind her.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”We need to talk to the girl,” said Captain FitzWilliam, tight-lipped.

He strode up to the bedroom door and knocked briskly. ”Lady Allingham?” he called through the door. ”I’m afraid we really must insist on speaking to Ursula if we are to solve this mystery.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Well at least we know that the nightmares are not specific to the room, just to Ursula." Isolde sighs in exasperation.

"Really, that child is so cosseted, I can't begin to think how she knows about the burning man. Unless Josephine told her. I think we need to talk to both of them more specifically. And not together either. Well, if no one had anything else to report, I'm going to bed."
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody goes back down to the library and then the kitchen to make sure nothing has changed, if all is well then she goes to bed. She's found tonight's events very disturbing, but doesn't want to leave any clues for the servants to tidy away again.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I don’t think that is appropriate at this moment” Josephine tells the companions sternly. “To my knowledge, Ursula knows nothing about the manner of her father’s death. And I certainly didn’t tell her.” With this she glares at Isolde.

“Please leave Lady Amanda and Ursula alone tonight” says Howard carefully. “Perhaps we can resume the discussion in the morning.”
OOC,You guys need to start being more diplomatic – you will begin having to roll for credit rating loss soon otherwise. Remember, you’re the hired help in this. Please recall, Ursula isn’t the only one who has had the dream.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is not just Ursula," says Alexander. "I had a similar dream. Also, when I was in the study, I saw someone outside the window, but I couldn't make out who it was, and he or she disappeared from sight. Whoever it was did not respond to my call, but I still felt like I was being watched."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Burnt Man”