Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,OK with me.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Can we go back to the hall now, it's freezing out here." Isolde is looking forward to a hot bath.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions return to Bargrove Hall, and after refreshing themselves meet Lady Amanda in the parlour. It is now late afternoon, and the evening is beginning to draw in. Black clouds roll across a leaden sky. It looks like it will be another freezing, stormy night.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam looked at his fellow society members and spoke. ”Your ladyship, it seems that your husband may have been killed because of his role in the toppling of the standing stone in Hob’s Field. From what we have been able to determine from talking to people in the village, the local superstition is that people should stay away from that field, although the exact reasons are lost in the mists of time.”

”Nevertheless, feelings had been running high in the village because of the eviction of the older tenants from their homes, and the toppling of the Stone seems to have been the catalyst for events, although it isn’t clear which agency, human or otherwise, was responsible for his lordship’s demise.”

He paused, to see if anyone else had any further comments to make.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Interestingly," adds Alexander, "the murderer or murderers had no compunction about going near the stone. That's most likely who raised it up again as well. It does appear to be the motive. We could try to draw whoever did it out by having the stone removed again, but that could prove dangerous."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Human, or otherwise?” Amanda echoes FitzWilliam. “Is William’s death due to supernatural causes? If removing the stone caused it, then doing so again would put lives at risk. I would prefer that no more innocent blood be shed.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I am not sure we could say for sure, either way,” replied Captain FitzWilliam.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"A, perhaps, less hazardous plan would be to hold a seance at the stone without actually moving the stone. Of course nothing may come of this but holding a seance at the scene of a, er, murder; well one might expect something. There will b very powerful shadows." Suggests Isolde.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I would fancy that it may be most hazardous indeed, Miss Beauchant replies Amanda. “You would likely freeze to death in this weather we’re having. You would have to conduct something during daytime.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Both Miss Beauchant and I have come to the conclusion that the murder was committed by human hands," says Alexander, "an occult murder rather than a supernatural one. However, humans can be extremely dangerous. You are wise not to want to put others at risk."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"It must be those villagers!" Amanda says fiercely. "They hated William. Curse them! Which of them do you suspect?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”We cannot say with certainty who was to blame,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”Your husband may have been ill-liked, but we have yet to see any evidence that points to any particular person.”

He knew such a response would not be received favourably by Lady Amanda, so he moved swiftly on. ”We should make preparations for a seance and see what comes of that.” He was sceptical that a seance would somehow tell them who the murderer was, but had otherwise exhausted any other lines of enquiry he could think of.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Does anyone know how many days exactly it has been since the murder? The phase of the moon and even the planets can be conducive even if the seance is held in the daytime." Isolde shrugs, "I'm afraid It might be the best we can do."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"It has been twenty days" replies Amanda. "May I ask if you have any plans for this evening?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can keep watch for disturbances again," says Alexander. "We always seem to miss them when they happen."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I appreciate your concerns about the weather,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”But given Miss Josephine’s visions about the graveyard, is it worth a couple of us waiting there tonight to see if anything happens?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"The policeman told us the murder took place at around 5pm," Percy notes. "The time of sunset, perhaps?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Twenty days." Muses Isolde. "Another eight days and the moon will be more significant but we cannot wait that long. We can hold the seance at sunset and it won't be quite so cold as at night. We can have blankets and hot soup waiting in the carriage and come straight back here to warm up." She shudders, "What am I suggesting! But I can't see any other way.

As for tonight, maybe we should check all the windows and doors are locked everywhere and then watch the entrances to the house; then we can see if it is an intruder causing the disturbances. Your Ladyship, could Josephine possibly sleep in your room tonight, maybe then she won't disturb the disturbances, as it were.
We watched the graveyard before and nothing happened but it might be worth it if you can stand the cold, Captain."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda nods distractedly at Percy’s statement, but looks confused. Josephine? Visions? What are you talking about?”

She rises to her feet, looking angry. “There’s another storm coming in, and it’s freezing outside! What is the point of lurking around the graveyard freezing to death? William is here in the house! His spirit is here with us! And his murderers are in that village! I want to lay him to rest and bring them to justice! Is that too much to ask?”

With that, she storms from the room. Howard pokes his head around the door, his eyes wide.

“Dinner will be served in an hour” he announces.

Outside, rain begins to fall and the wind begins to cry around the manor.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Did I get the bit about the visions wrong? I didn’t read back so it may have been that Josephine was merel6 looking at the graveyard. Apologies to Percy, who seems to have copped the flak for that one ;)
”A seance, then. As her Ladyship wishes,” said Captain FitzWilliam, tiredly. He rose from his chair. ”I’m going to try to get a nap before dinner,” he said, ”We may be in for another long night... ...” He nodded to his fellow investigators and left the room.

Return to “The Burnt Man”