Chapter 5: Further Investigations

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 5: Further Investigations

Post by HoneyDog »

Friday December 17th,

Bargrove Hall

The companions awaken later than usual and breakfast at 10am. The landscape outside is frozen with the frost laying heavy on the ground. The sky is a cold, leaden grey.

After washing, breakfast is served. Although she has already eaten, Lady Amanda is present, and takes her coffee with the companions. Although Ursula and Josephine are not present, Amanda fills in some more of the details from last night.

Ursula couldn’t remember any specific details” she says. “She only remembers the man, burning. She could feel the heat of the flames. There was screaming.”

Amanda rubs her brow with worry. “Oh, my poor girl” she moans. “Please!” she entreats the companions. “I fear for her. Please help us!”

After a moment where she looks on the verge of panic, her usual self reemerges and she manages to calm herself. “Did you learn anything else from last night?” she asks.
Melody,Melody meanwhile does not get the luxury of a lie-in. She is up with Smith and breakfasts at the house before assisting her master. This gives her a chance to question the staff as to what might have happened during the night.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 5: Further Investigations

Post by Philulhu »

”I believe that we all experienced some kind of ‘phenomena’ last night, but as to what it means, perhaps Miss Beauchamp might interpret?” said Captain FitzWilliam.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The only unusual thing I observed from the study was a sort of moaning sound coming from the hall," says Alexander. "I lit a candle and went to look, but nobody was there. It could just have been the wind."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”That’s possible, Mr Stringer,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”But I doubt that it was wind that turned the door handle.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

"Isolde pushes her plate of kippers to the side. "This is often how it manifests as I said last night; small disturbances, one after the other, last night the back door, the door handle and the moaning all culminating in some bigger manifestation.

Unfortunately last night this occurred in Ursula's bedroom as a vision, a particularly painful and worrying vision." Isolde looks at Lady Amanda in sympathy. "And also unfortunately, none of us were on the spot, I do worry that even our presence here may be disrupting the usual paranormal energy lines but one night is not enough to be sure.

However, the good news is that I think we have one conclusion from last night; the disturbances to Ursula and the household are tied to the death of Lord Allingham. Else how can Ursula have a vision of such accuracy unless she was there at the time."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda’s eyes widen in surprise. “But Ursula was with me when it happened! She couldn’t have witnessed her father’s murder!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, that's a blessing, at least," says Alexander. "Of course, children can have very strong imaginations. When we dream, our minds conjure up things we've never seen."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Quite so," Percy agrees. "The disturbing manner of this particular death is enough to give anyone nightmares. Tortured and burned alive? Dare I say there is an almost savage, ritualistic aspect to such an act? Country folk such as inhabit this village of yours are likely to hold strange beliefs and rituals even in these modern times."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Quite so, Mr Stringer. Maybe it is about time these villagers were investigated, seeing as they seem to be the most likely suspects. Apparently." Isolde starts to put marmalade on her toast. "And there is still a lot of research to cover in the library."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”The carriage is at your disposal whenever you require” says Amanda.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,How much of the book I found yesterday have I been able to read, or at least skim?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Unless you specified your character read the books, I’m assuming they didn’t. They can use the time now, but that will reduce the available time in the village and surrounding area. But that’s okay, you can always make a return visit .
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Let us visit the village this morning, then,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”Whether the villagers will want to talk to us is another matter, given the antipathy between them and his Lordship, but let us hope that his death will stir some feelings of guilt that might make some of them open up.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says Alexander. "I can always read that book I found during tonight's watch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I rather feel that if we all troop down to the village we are liable to scare all the villagers mum. Either Melody and I try talking to the women separately while you men visit the pub or I and anyone else stay here and read the books and just a couple visit the village." Isolde looks to the head of the table, " Thank you for the loan of the carriage, Lady Allingham. Do you have anything more modest in which to travel to the village?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I’m afraid that is all we have” replies Amanda. “I will have McKenzie prepare the carriage.” She nods to a servant, who leaves the room.
OOC,There will no doubt be lots of talking in the village and some interesting information to find out – if some of you don’t go, you might have less opportunities to take part!
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Capital," Percy says. "And don't worry, Miss Isolde; I'm a professional journalist. Nobody can resist the chance to reveal all in print. These villagers will be telling us their life stories in no time."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can read at night," says Alexander. "All I'll need then is a candle, though one day we'll use electric lights instead. I can only visit the village during the day. Besides, once I talk to people, I'll better know what to look for in the book."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rooter wrote:"Capital," Percy says. "And don't worry, Miss Isolde; I'm a professional journalist. Nobody can resist the chance to reveal all in print. These villagers will be telling us their life stories in no time."
”If I may make a suggestion, Mr Stringer,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”Rather than trying to illicit their life stories, then perhaps you could focus on the ‘oppressed in country’ angle, which might make them open up about why they disliked Lord Allingham?”

He turned to Lady Allingham. ”My apologies, your ladyship, but focusing on why they so disliked your late husband might encourage them to loosen their tongues.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody:

After a disappointing and completely uneventful night watching the graveyard, Melody is surprised to hear the servants gossiping of the night-time disturbances during breakfast.
OOC,Sorry, apart from barely keeping up with my own Mask game, I've had no time to post last week. I have kept an eye on this thread, but after me thinking that she might be dead-meat spending the night observing the graveyard alone, Melody ended up peripheral to the story. I've generally taken care to avoid reading anything that Melody isn't privy to, but I did catch enough from glances of non-spoiler tagged posts to know that the servants were awoken, but probably didn't actually witness too much? Things are much quieter at work this week, so I should be able to post at full speed again.

Return to “The Burnt Man”