Page 1 of 1

Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 am
by HoneyDog
Thursday December 16th,

Bargrove Hall

The companions are awoken at 8am, and after refreshing themselves make their way back down to the dining room for a breakfast of porridge and kippers. Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are again in attendance. Around the house, the moors stretch into the distance, cold with frost. The sky is a leaden grey.

Lady Amanda still looks pale & tense. After Ursula has left with Josephine to begin her morning studies, Amanda gives the reason for her tension.

“My husband’s spirit was again active last night. Pots and pans were misplaced in the kitchen, and books were removed from the library shelves. Howard will guide you around Bargrove Hall this morning after breakfast, and I hope that you will begin your investigation forthwith. Do you have any questions to ask before you begin?”

Meanwhile, Melody again dines in the kitchen with the servants, who are busy preparing for their daily tasks. She will rejoin the others after her breakfast.

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pardon me for asking, milady, but how do you know that it was your husband who moved the objects?" asks Alexander. "Is it possible that someone living could have done it?"

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam buttered some toast and waited for Lady Allingham to reply.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 am
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda shakes her head firmly.

”It’s not possible. There’s no sign of forced entry anywhere. And the servants have all vouched for each other. It can only be William, I’m certain. However, I am no fanatic and I will listen to whatever theories you advance with an open mind.”

She still looks troubled, despite these words, and gazes down at the table.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 am
by Philulhu
”Do you know which books were moved, Lady Allingham?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Just in case there may be some significance in their titles or subject matter.”

Captain FitzWilliam found it hard to believe that items could move by themselves and wondered if more earthly forces were at play.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm
by HoneyDog
“No, I wasn’t informed about that” says Amanda. “Are you ready to tour the house?”

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm
by Philulhu
”I am if my colleagues are,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, as he brushed the toast crumbs from his clothes and stood up.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:27 pm
by aine
"I expect we are too late today; the servants will have already tidied up. But next time, Lady Allingham, please can nothing be touched until we have examined the area of disturbance. Captain Fitzwiiliam is correct in that there is likely to be some significance to what has occurred. And I suggest we prepare for a vigil tonight! If Lady Allingham concurs, we might consider a seance too in a night or two." Isolde then rises, ready to take the tour.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am
by Raiko
Melody greats each servant she encounters warmly (even the housekeeper), but mostly just tries to keep out of everyone's way while she eats her breakfast - she understands that this is a very busy time for the staff.

She keeps her ears tuned for any gossip of goings on during the night, but she doesn't mention her and Percy's night time encounter to anyone.

After eating she asks if there is anything she can help with while she waits for the rest of the society to finish eating.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, Your Ladyship, I'm ready," says Alexander. "I'm particularly interested to learn about the history of the house, and anything noteworthy that may have happened here."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   OOC, Once you have explored the house, I will provide a map. We will just visit the larger and more important rooms, but don't expect to find hidden secrets in every corner!  

Melody
finishes her breakfast and rejoins the group. The first port of call is the chapel, which is directly opposite the dining room on the opposite side of the room where they enter.

It is dark and chill in the winter cold. Howard explain that it is not in use much lately, and no-one has been interred since the late 1700s. Several tombs can be seen within. It basically resembles a scaled-down church, complete with altar, font and pews.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 am
by Rooter
"I presume the family has been using the graveyard outside since then?" Percy inquires. "More space, I suppose? Are all the, ah, unfortunate males up to our most recently deceased buried there?"

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 am
by HoneyDog
"That's correct, sir" nods Howard.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 am
by Philulhu
”Do you have any theories as the what may have accounted for so many men in the family at such a young age?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, as he looked around the chapel.
OOC,Just on the off chance... Spot Hidden - 25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:47 pm
by aine

"Ooooh! Can't you just feel the atmosphere in here, it is resonating! So much history!" Isolde walks briskly around the chapel, gesticulating at and looking hard at all the features. "Quiet please!" She holds up her hand, listening carefully. "Yes, it is as I thought, there are restless spirits here!" She looks askance at Mr Howard and then continues walking around, running her hand along the pews.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Howard looks bemused at the antics of the society.

“No, sir” he replies to FitzWilliam. “Except that life is sometimes very difficult”.

One interesting tomb may be noted by those looking around – that of Sir Montague Allingham. It bears a carved effigy of his likeness in a suit of armour upon its lid, with his name beneath. There doesn’t seem to be anything else.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm
by Philulhu
”Does Lady Allingham employ an estate manager?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Or did Lord Allingham used to deal with all of those issues?”

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander examines the tombs with interest, paying special attention to any names and dates inscribed.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:42 am
by HoneyDog
"Your assumptions do you justice again, sir" says Howard to FitzWilliam. "Sir William managed the estate personally".

To everyone he says, "Shall we move on?"
OOC,There's nothing else of interest here.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam nodded and indicated that Howard should lead the way. Falling in alongside the butler as they walked, he asked, ”So what of his Lordship’s relationship with the local people? Lady Allingham suggested that was particularly fraught.”

FitzWilliam studied Howard as he waited for a reply.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 am
by Rooter

Meanwhile, Percy is telling the others about what he and Melody witnessed last night. "...so it seems young Ursula is drawn to the graveyard, which is perhaps an understandable symptom of grief but I daresay you might find a few more restless spirits there, Miss Beauchant."

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes, that might be an apt term” says Howard, leading the way to the next destination. He doesn’t look at FitzWilliam as he talks. “I’m afraid his Lordship found the locals a trifle… backwards”.

Turning left out of the chapel it is a short walk to the next room. Opening the double doors, Howard announces the library. It is a largely unremarkable room, containing in terms of furniture a desk and a few comfy looking chairs, but it is more than well-stocked with volumes. Bookshelves the height of a tall man line all four walls.

My Lady announces that you are free to peruse the contents of the library as you see fit” Howard tells the group. “We have often found the trappings of nocturnal visitations here.”

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alexander, admiring the collection of books. "I can see myself spending a good deal of time here. Some of this collection must be centuries old."

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:44 pm
by aine
"Goodness, and I slept through all of it!" Isolde exclaims to Percy. "I am looking forward to seeing the graveyard very much. The young are often much more sensitive to the supernatural and Ursula has had such a shock in her young life. You were very brave, Melody. Oh here we are at the infamous library!" And she sweeps into the room and spins round.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:47 pm
by Philulhu
”Have the contents of the library been moved since last night’s event?” said Captain FitzWilliam, as he held up his hand to caution his colleagues about proceeding too far until they knew whether any items had been moved.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
“As was stated by Lady Amanda previously” says Howard smoothly, “some books, not too many, had been removed from the shelves, but were returned into place by the staff. Everything else seems to be in order.”

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 pm
by aine
Isolde drifts slowly around the room, "Oh tosh, Captain, can you not feel there is a vestige of an aura still here. If we hold a seance I think this is the room for it." She scans the book titles to see if there are any unusual or interesting books not normally found in such a place; she has spent many a long hour in similar libraries in the great houses around the country.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam stood and closed his eyes, but didn’t feel any particular aura. He waited a moment then opened his eyes again and looked at Howard.

“Could you please ask the servants to leave the books in place if there are any further events? There may be a clue in the titles of the books that are moved.”

He looked around the room some more, and then said, ”Going back to his lordship’s relationship with the local people, what was it that he was doing that they disagreed with?” FitzWilliam looked Howard straight in the face, to see what the reaction to his question was.
OOC,Can I try a psychology roll?

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander examines the shelves to see if he can tell which books have been dislodged recently based on the lack of dust or not belonging in the section where they've been reshelved.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It’s going to take a couple of days with a successful Library Use roll to search through the books to see if there is anything of interest. Sure Phil, make a Psychology roll.
The room, unfortunately for the purposes of investigating, is very clean and is dusted regularly.

“Well”, says Howard, addressing FitzWilliam’s question, “he had evicted some older tenants who were slow to pay rent, and they were obliged to move in with relatives. That was not well-received in the village”.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lady Amanda hadn't mentioned that," says Alexander. "She mentioned that Lord Allingham had wanted to modernise the village, and the villagers objected. Perfectly, I'm in favour of modernisation. The telephone and electric lights are wondrous inventions, though perhaps rather expensive."

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 am
by Philulhu
OOC - Psychology Roll,[dice]0[/dice] That’s a success. FitzWilliam needed 25%. Now what’s Howard not letting on? ;)

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,[b]Howard[/b] seems to be a little resistant to discussing recent events, but there’re no signs that he is lying about anything. He may not be comfortable discussing his employers.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:18 pm
by aine
"This is an established library; I have rarely seen it's like. It will take a few days to do it justice. Is there a catalogue do you know, Mr Howard?" asks Isolde. And a bit later she asks, "Have you ever been troubled by the disturbances here, Mr Howard?"

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’m afraid that this collection is the result of gradual accumulation” Howard tells Isolde. “The books are shelved in no particular fashion. As to your other question, whatever disturbs My Lady, disturbs me also.”

Just then a bell can be heard ringing.

My Lady requires me” says Howard. The relief is evident on his face. “Please feel free to explore further, I will try to return as soon as I can. As Lady Amanda said, you have the freedom of the house, but I would ask you to please be considerate of those who reside here.”

He bows slightly and leaves.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam sank into a nearby seat and drummed his fingers on the arm as he thought. After a while, he said, ”I get the feeling we aren’t been told the full story. It appears that the butler may be telling the truth, but he doesn’t like to discuss his mistress’ business so the end result is like pulling teeth.”

He grimaced and looked around the room. Miss Melody - did you get any information from any of the servants? Were they will to talk to you?”

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I was hoping they'd tell you things they wouldn't say to us," adds Alexander.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm
by Raiko
"None of the servants have actually witnessed anything, although they've all seen the results of the disturbances each morning" says Melody, "They're all much more afraid of Mrs Beddowes the housekeeper than any ghost.

"Some of them believe that 'the ghost' actually one of the other servants playing tricks on them all.

"The coachman McKenzie certainly believes the ghost is real though, as does Gerald Smith the gardener, he was most interested when I mentioned that Miss Beauchant would be able to speak to the ghost. I had hoped to ask who is was who discovered Lord Allingham's body, but missed the opportunity - none of them can speak freely when Mrs. Beddowes is about!"

Melody glances at Percy.

"Mr. Stringer and I were both woken during the night by Miss Ursula walking to her classroom, she was followed by her tutor. She was sleepwalking I think - like my brother used to - her eyes were wide open, but she was not awake. I thought that she might have been the cause of the disturbances, but her tutor assured Mr. Stringer that although she walked every night, Miss Ursula only every moved from her bedroom to the classroom, where she stands looking out over the graveyard.

"I was just relieved that it was her tutor and not Lady Allingham we met, I fear that the Lady would not have been amused to find me and Mr. Stringer creeping around the halls."

OOC:   I'm not actually sure that Melody had met Josephine, other than during the night, so I've just called her Miss Ursula's tutor.  

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm
by aine

"We'll need to get the information directly from the villagers - if thet are willing to talk to us."
Isolde stands looking out one of the long windows at the frosty lawn. "DId Joshephine say how long the sleep walking has been going on? Did it maybe start with the death of Lord Allingham? And I wonder if Josephine has ever heard any of the disturbances whilst she's been up at night following her charge."

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
by Raiko

"She said that Miss Ursula had taken to walking in her sleep recently, every night, and always just to stare out of the schoolroom window.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm
by Philulhu
”Has anyone questioned the child to ask her what it is she sees in the graveyard?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”One would presume she is looking at something, even if it is something that others cannot see.”

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:16 pm
by Raiko

"I didn't think to wake Miss Ursula, we were always told not to wake my brother when he sleep walked.

"Perhaps Mme. Josephine has asked Miss Ursula what she sees."

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:53 pm
by Philulhu
”Quite right,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”Better to make sure they don’t harm themselves and wake up of their own accord.”

“Would you be able to talk to Miss Ursula’s tutor, to see if she has spoken about her sleepwalking?”
he asked Melody.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Alexander with a nod. "I've heard the same. Never known a somnambulist myself before, though. Josephine and Ursula may be open to talking to me as well. They quite liked my little scientific demonstration at supper last night. Perhaps we should both go."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:24 am
by Rooter
"Jolly good," Percy says. "As for the rest of us, since we have the freedom of the premises I presume that would include Lord Bargrove's personal study if he has such a thing?"

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Are you going to split up or look at the rest of the house together? You'll come across the schoolroom where Ursula and Josephine are anyway.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:47 pm
by Raiko
Alexander wrote:"They quite liked my little scientific demonstration at supper last night. Perhaps we should both go."

"Of course doctor, whatever you think is best."
OOC,[ooc]I'm okay to split up, or to wait until the tour reaches the schoolroom. It might be easier for a small group to talk to Ursula and Josephine. On the other hand, I'd quite like to see all the rooms.[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
”Very well,” said Captain FitzWilliam, rising from his chair. ”Let us continue our tour of the house and when we see Miss Ursula and her tutor, the rest of us can carry on while Miss Melody and Dr. Campbell talk to them.”

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, capital idea," says Alexander. "We can catch you up after we're done talking to them."

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:27 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Do we have a plan of the house so we can orientate ourselves?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 pm
by aine
"We'll finish the tour with Mr Howard and then maybe go our seperate ways after lunch." Says Isolde.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:04 pm
by Philulhu
"We will be guided by you, Miss Beauchant," said Captain FitzWilliam, bowing his head.

He looked around the library, chose a promising looking section and went off to the study the contents, looking for anything that would give a hint to the Allingham family history and the curse that seemingly afflicted them.
OOC - Spot Hidden,Fitzwilliam's skill is 25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:45 pm
by aine
Isolde watches the frost on the he lawn outside. "If Mr Howard doesn't come back soon we might as well seperate now and compare notes at lunch. I would like to visit the graveyard at least this morning."

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,There’s plenty of time to cover the whole house and grounds. Why not just stick together for now? I’ll supply a map once you’ve finished your tour.
Howard has not returned and so Melody leads them in the direction of the kitchens, which are at the back of the house. As can be imagined, they are a hotbed of activity, although with a staff far outnumbering the family it might seem that their main job is feeding themselves. The kitchen and the adjacent scullery are very large rooms, and have doors leading to the gardens in the back, where vegetable plots can be seen. There is a door leading down to the cellars. The staff look at the guests curiously. Mrs. Beddowes seems a little perturbed at their presence, and enquires if she can be of any help.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mrs. Beddowes," says Alexander. "We are touring the house, but if you don't mind, we would like to ask you a few questions, seeing as how you know about everything that goes on here."

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
"Well, I'll do my best, sir" says Mrs. Beddowes, her eyes shifting from one companion to the other. Staff in the vicinity try their best to go about their business, looking as uninterested as they can.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:26 pm
by Philulhu
”Perhaps we could start by you telling us what the circumstances were leading up to Lord Allingham’s death?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”I understand that there had been a disagreement between his lordship and some of the local villagers.”

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:58 am
by Raiko

Could someone have entered through the kitchen last night?

"Is this the first time the kitchen has been disturbed?"

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 am
by HoneyDog
Mrs. Beddowes looks affronted at being so directly addressed by Melody. She answers Captain FitzWilliam.

“Some of the locals around here are stuck in their ways. His Lordship was trying to make the estate more efficient and run better. Naturally there are those who resist such moves” she says primly. “I’m sure that my Lady would be able to give you more details. I’m afraid I don’t know too much about it.”

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:55 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam looked from Mrs Beddowes to Melody. ”And any disturbances in the kitchen?” he prompted. ”I understand that you think that Miss Melody is a servant and therefore beneath you in the normal order of things, but she is with us.”

FitzWilliam’s voice softened as he continued. ”After all, are we not all interested in the same outcome; finding out what happened to Lord Allingham and bringing peace back to Bargrove Hall?”

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 pm
by aine
"For instance," says Isolde "This is a very well run establishment, and I should know having resided at many similar. As housekeeper, you know most of what goes on above and below stairs; you are the authority on Bargorve Hall! And, as a woman, are much more perceptive than the men about the place. Now, who was it who found Lord Allingham's body? Was it servants from here or villagers?"

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 pm
by Rooter
With the housekeeper evidently distracted, Percy opens the cellar door and takes a peek inside.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Mrs. Beddowes’ back stiffens. My Lady is the authority here, Madam” she says in reply to Isolde’s statement. “And I don’t concern myself in the business of my employers. In answer to your question, it was a party from Bargrove House who found His Lordship. He was overdue from his evening constitutional”. Her eyes drop momentarily and she looks pained. “I must say that was a very trying time for all of us.”

She turns back to FitzWilliam. “Yes, we have had a nocturnal visitor. Items moved from their place, some broken. No foodstuffs appear to have gone missing though. It has occurred several times since Sir William died. As to the cause, I only know that I is none of the staff. I am certain of that.” Her tone indicates that there will be no contradicting her.
Percy,There are some steps leading downwards. It is too dark to see anything, but there is a light switch on the wall.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] flicks the switch, impressed that they have such modern conveniences installed.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:31 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,The light illuminates a paved stone floor. Percy can see a limited view from his position of adjoining shelves filled with various varieties of foodstuffs.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
”How do you know, Mrs Beddowes?” replied Captain FitzWilliam with quiet authority, looking the housekeeper straight in the eye. ”How can you be so absolutely sure that no members of your staff have come down here in the middle of the night and rearranged things in your kitchen? Do you stand guard and make sure they cannot leave their rooms or do you sit down here yourself, waiting for someone - or something - to get up to mischief?”

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes as a matter of fact” says Mrs. Beddowes sternly. “The servants, myself included, have often taken shifts to try to find out what causes the events. We’ve stood guard in and outside the kitchen and other rooms to make sure no-one could enter, yet the incidents occur. I hope you”ll be able to have better luck. Now, if you’ll please excuse me, I have duties to attend to.”

She bows stiffly and walks away to supervise the cooking of the midday meal.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your time, Mrs. Beddowes," says Alexander. "We'll leave you to your work."

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:55 pm
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] moves further inside looking around for anything out of place, thinking the cellar might make a good hiding spot for someone sneaking around at night. [ooc]Spot Hidden 45%[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:42 pm
by Raiko
[Image

Melody barely manages to suppress a smile when Captain FitzWilliam rebukes Mrs. Beddowes, it wouldn't do to be seen smirking by the stern housekeeper.

Melody decided to remain quiet until the society finished in the kitchen. It's interesting she thought, that servants have stood watch and yet still not noticed the disturbances taking place, but even did not prevent some of the servants suspecting that others were playing a prank. The kitchen still seemed to Melody to be a likely place for an intruder to enter the house, largely ignored by the family and yet with access from the garden and perhaps from the cellar. She wondered whether Percy had found anything interesting.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,‘Rebuking the lower orders’ - what a great idea for a new skill! :D Are we hanging around for Percy to return from the cellar, or should we move off elsewhere?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can explore the cellar if you want.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we have a look down the cellar?" Alexander asks the others.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am
by Philulhu
”We could just lock the door and leave Mr Stringer down there...” said Captain FitzWilliam, drily, as he headed for the cellar steps.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 am
by HoneyDog
The cellar is large and extends under the scullery next door. As well as assorted foodstuffs, there is a large wine rack and barrels of water, beer and oil. Firewood is also stored here. It is clean and well-lit, but there are signs of the ubiquitous mouse. The kitchen door looks to be the only entrance.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:31 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam walked around the cellar and inspected the walls. From time to time, he would push at the stonework with his walking stick to see if any would move.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm
by HoneyDog
The cellar is solidly built from stone blocks. There doesn't seem to be any hidden entrances.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 pm
by Rooter
Percy rejoins the others with a shrug. "No ghosts hiding down here that I can see."

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:22 pm
by Raiko

Everything appears to be normal, but Melody walks around the cellar anyway, looking for anything out of the ordinary, "Did you notice anything unusual Mr. Stringer?"
OOC,Spot Hidden (60%): [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Rooter posted while I was writing my own post.  

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm
by aine
Isolde says to Melody, "Don't you think it rather odd that servants would stand watches through the night of their own accord: servants who are generally exhausted from the days work and have precious free time as it is?" She declines going down to the cellar - something about mice- and waits in the kitchen.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps Lady Amanda ordered them to set a watch," suggests Alexander. "You're right, I can't imagine they'd want to do it on their own." He heads down into the cellar to look around, also suspecting a secret passage that would allow someone into or out of the house.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,Melody can confirm that there is nothing out of the ordinary to be found.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:30 pm
by Raiko

"Yes, I expect the servants will have to do whatever Lady Allingham or Mrs. Beddowes ask of them. It's interesting that the disturbances still occurred unnoticed when a watch was posted."

Melody finishes looking around the cellar, but does not notice anything unusual, she makes her way back up to Isolde, "That's not so surprising though, after all keeping watch is not going to stop a ghost."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 pm
by aine
"Quite." Says Isolde. "And they strike me as unusually unsuperstitious - for servants. Normally they'd be the first ones to attribute unusual activities to supernatural entities. Especially the maids."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 pm
by Rooter
"A conspiracy among the staff, eh?" Percy says, nodding. "I like it. Well, shall we move on since old Howard seems to have fallen down a hole somewhere?"

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm
by Philulhu
”Where next?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Do you think there is anything else to see downstairs or do we take a look outside?” He glanced out of the kitchen window to see if a coat would be in order.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:37 pm
by HoneyDog
The rest of the rooms on the ground floor in the East Wing appear to be unused, mostly filled with covered furniture, with the exception of a trophy room. This contains various sporting and hunting memorabilia and trophies. The only other room is the Parlour, the scene of last night’s meeting with Lady Amanda. The First Floor has yet to be explored.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm
by Philulhu
”Shall we take another turn around the parlour? We didn’t get much chance to look at it yesterday.” said Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:31 pm
by aine
"I don't suppose the parlour will offer much; it seemed more in the modern taste than most of the building but let's pass through before going upstairs." Says Isolde walking quickly along the corridor.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
The Parlour seems much the same as it was yesterday. Empty right now and with the fire unlit, it feels cold and forbidding. The portrait of Sir William glowers at the companions from its position above the fireplace.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:11 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam studied the painting. Whoever had painted the portrait had certainly captured Lord Allingham’s brooding intensity.

FitzWilliam remembered something he had once read about secret signs in portraits - discrete indicators towards religious persuasions - and stepped forward to look at the painting in more detail.
OOC,Are there any secret symbols? [dice]0[/dice] Spot hidden is 25%.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we proceed upstairs?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm
by Rooter
Percy nods. "Yes, that painting gives me the willies."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 pm
by Raiko

Melody follows the others looking around the parlour, again she looks around for anything that looks out of the ordinary, although it seems unlikely as they were all here the previous evening.
OOC,Melody - Spot Hidden(60%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,Melody can clearly see that everything is in order - there is nothing strange about the room or the painting.
The companions head upstairs. Next to their rooms is another room, which appears to be the bedroom of a woman, judging by the clothes and assorted items. Next to that is the schoolroom. The voice of Josephine Ducray can be heard. She appears to be lecturing to another occupant.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"She must be teaching her young student," says Alexander. "We do need to talk to them, but I don't know if we should interrupt the lesson."

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm
by Philulhu
”Perhaps just put your head around the door and ask if they are all right to talk? If not, we can always come back later,” suggested Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 pm
by aine
"Let me go in, wait here." Isolde walks to the door, knocks gently and walks into the classroom. "Please continue, Mme Ducray." And she goes to sit in a window seat until the governess has finished.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am
by HoneyDog
Isolde,[color=#804000][b]”Miss Beauchant!”[/b][/color] says [b]Josephine[/b] in surprise. [color=#8000FF]”May we be of any assistance?”[/color] [b]Ursula[/b] is looking up from her books in interest at the intruder.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am
by Rooter
Meanwhile, Percy scouts around to see if there are any other rooms which may be of interest on this floor.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam followed Percy down the corridor. ”Do you think there may be an attic?”

He looked across at Melody. ”Where are the servants’ quarters?” he asked.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 pm
by aine
"Well, if it's not too much trouble, we'd like to talk to you when you have finished your lessons, maybe when Ursula is having her lunch?" Isolde smiles at Ursula and then looks back at Josephine. "And, as one governess to another, I'd love to look round the grounds with a like-minded creature and wondered if you'd do me the honour when you are at liberty."

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:40 pm
by Raiko

"Yes Captain, the servants' quarters are up in the attic, up those stairs."

Melody indicates some stairs that lead up from the corridor.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:25 pm
by Philulhu
”Might we take a quick look, while the servants are otherwise engaged?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. He had hoped to find that the attic was unused and available for someone to hide in, but that sounded unlikely. Nevertheless, it would be good to rule out the possibility.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 am
by Raiko
"I don't think anyone will mind."

Melody will lead the way up the stairs.
OOC:   I think there might be more than just the servants room, but I'm not sure.  

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Alexander, following her up to the attic.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm
by Philulhu
OOC -The Attic,When we get up there, [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] is looking for doors, hatches, etc. that lead to other areas where someone might hide, rather than the servant’s quarters [i]per se[/i].

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde,[color=#BF00FF]“Well, I assume that we’ll be having lunch together with [b]Lady Bargrove[/b]”[/color] says [b]Josephine[/b]. [color=#BF00FF]“Perhaps we can speak then. Lunch should be soon.”[/color]
Percy,On the other side of the house [b]Percy[/b] comes across more rooms. The doors are closed. There is a corridor stretching away which turns to the left.
OOC,Everyone else, The others climb the stairs to the attic. There are a couple of doors behind them, while a corridor stretches out in front. Doors branch off to the side. [b]Melody’s [/b]room is on the right. Nothing looks out of place.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] heads along the corridor trying each of the doors in turn to get an idea of what the rooms contain.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:36 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - The Attic,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] walked along the corridor. [color=#800000]”Are you aware of any of these doors that don’t lead to servants’ bedrooms?”[/color] he asked [b]Melody[/b].

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm
by aine
Isolde looks out upon the frozen moor, "It is about recent events, if you take my meaning. Maybe after lunch, when it is convenient." She rises and looks at Ursula's workbook. "What pretty writing, and good use of language too, Ursula. Your teaching does you credit!" She smiles at both tutor and student and then walks quietly out.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
The Attic,[color=sienna]"I wonder where the storage room is,"[/color] says [b]Alexander[/b]. [color=sienna]"There could be all sorts of interesting old things kept there."[/color]

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] tries both doors adjacent to him, and both open. Each are comfortable-looking bathrooms. There are further rooms down the corridor.
OOC,Howard should be able to help you if someone wants to find him.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] continues, hoping to discover a study or office perhaps.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,There is a door on the right. Percy opens it and discovers a bedroom, which is dominated by a very old four-poster bed. The others furnishings; wardrobe, chest of drawers etc., are also of age. There is a pile of books by the bed.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm
by Rooter
Percy,Curious, [b]Percy[/b] moves inside the bedroom and looks over the titles of the books.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
The Attic,[color=sienna]"Which room is [b]Howard[/b]'s?"[/color] [b]Alexander[/b] asks [b]Melody[/b]. [color=sienna]"He'll know his way about."[/color]

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:59 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,The titles are all about ghosts, spirits and the supernatural.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:04 am
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] withdraws from the bedroom, closing the door behind him, and proceeds along the corridor trying the other doors to see what the remaining rooms are.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] turns left at the end of the corridor. It comes to a stop at another door, and there are two more doors on either side. Investigating them, he finds that they are unused bedrooms, with furniture covered in dusty sheets. This part of the house hasn't been used for a long time. The room at the end though has the appearance of having been a study. There is a large desk against the wall and several trophies mount the wall. The furniture here too is covered, but more recently.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] retraces his steps but before rejoining the others he seeks out one of the serving staff and inquires to whom the bedroom on the right (the one where he saw the books) belongs.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 am
by Raiko
The Attic,[color=#fF0040]"I'm sorry, I slept in that room, but apart from that I don't know which room is which,"[/color] [b]Melody [/b]replies. Hoping that someone else is up here, she calls out, [color=#fF0040]"Hello!"[/color]

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,Luckily, [b]Percy[/b] comes across [b]Howard[/b], who is searching for the companions. He is informed that the bedroom in question is the master bedroom, belonging to [b]Her Ladyship[/b].
Hearing the buzz of conversation, Howard climbs the stairs to the attic and finds the companions.

"My apologies for my prolonged absence" he bows. "Luncheon will be served from midday, so perhaps you would like to take some time to refresh yourselves beforehand. I trust your investigations are proceeding smoothly" he adds neutrally.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 am
by Rooter
"Yes, indeed," Percy replies, having followed the butler. "By the way, there's a room that looks like a study at the end of the corridor which has been recently covered in sheets. Would that be the late Lordship's?"

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
“That’s correct, sir” acknowledges Howard. “It is no longer needed, sadly. His Lordship’s personal effects were removed to the care of Her Ladyship.”

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 pm
by Philulhu
”May we take a look anyway?” asked Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm
by Rooter
"The rest of the floor is just bedrooms and bathrooms," Percy adds for the others' benefit, before he heads off to get ready for lunch.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it wouldn't hurt to have a look round," says Alexander.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:03 pm
by aine
Isolde meets the others at the foot of the attic stairs, "Josephine didn't take any hints about having a quiet talk, maybe her English isn't good enough. She certainly isn't going to open up with Ursula around so we'll have to try her after lunch. Did you find anything interesting in the attic?"

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Not much as yet,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, as he headed down the stairs and off towards his room to freshen up before lunch.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were just about to examine His Lordship's old study," says Alexander, knowing that she'd probably be interested in that. No doubt she thought that his spirit was tied to the place.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 am
by HoneyDog
Howard leads the way back to what was once Sir William’s study. It is dominated by a large desk, and hunting trophies line the wall. The furniture is mostly covered.

“The desk had been covered, but one morning we found the sheet ripped into pieces” Howard tells the group. “That is the only disturbance which has been observed in this room.”

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm
by aine
"An excellent suggestion!" Isolde says to Alexander as they are ushered to the study. "I assume His Lordship was typical of land owners where hunting and fishing are concerned?" She asks Howard as she looks at the hunting trophies. "And his desk, has it been touched since his death? Papers and such sorted? Oddments thrown away? And where is the sheet? Maybe we can deduce what made the tears!" She says as an aside to the others.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, capital idea," says Alexander. He examines the hunting trophies with admiration. "I've done a wee bit of hunting myself, but clearly not as much as His Lordship."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:22 am
by HoneyDog
“The personal items deemed worth keeping were put away after his death, and all papers are in the hands of Lady Amandasays Howard. “There seemed no reason to keep the sheet; it was torn, we don’t know by whom”.

He checks his watch.

“Lunch should be served soon. Can we expect you in the dining room?”

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, aye," says Alexander. "I am starting to get peckish."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam nodded. He was already on his way downstairs.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 pm
by HoneyDog
After washing the companions return to the dining room for a lunch of game bird and vegetables. Melody meanwhile takes her lunch again in the kitchen with the other servants.

Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are already waiting along with Percy who arrived early. The atmosphere seems to be one of quiet expectation.

“I presume that you have familiarized yourselves with the house?” enquires Lady Amanda once everybody is seated. “May I ask what impressions you have gathered?”
Melody,In attendance with [b]Melody[/b] are again the coachman [b]McKenzie[/b], [b]Smith[/b] the gardener, and assorted other servants. [color=#4000BF]“Find anything interesting, Miss?”[/color] asks [b]McKenzie[/b]. [color=#4000BF]“I don’t suppose you’ve got to the bottom of our little mystery?”[/color]

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'll let the others speak to their impressions of the supernatural," says Alexander, "seeing as they know more than I about that. We've looked at the scenes of the disturbances, but of course they had all been cleaned. It might be of aid if the next time something like that happens, the scene remain undisturbed until we've had a chance to examine it."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 pm
by aine
"Lady Allingham," says Isolde,
"I am of the same mind as Doctor Campbell. With all the evidence cleared up after each disturbance there is very little for us to analyse.
I would like to venture a suggestion that we hold watches tonight and maybe see something first hand. And Lady Allingham it is also possible for us to..." Isolde looks at young Ursula and changes her mind about what she was about to say.
"We would also like to look at where, ur, on the moor, speak to the men involved, visit the village and the graveyard." Again looking at Ursula. "There is still much to be done."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 pm
by Rooter
"Did your late husband have any interest in the supernatural?" Percy asks between mouthfuls.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam said little as he turned over what they had found out in his mind. Something was going on, but he was at a loss to explain the cause. He would sit watch tonight and see what they could learn.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:21 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes” says Lady Amanda to Isolde and Alexander. “All of those are good suggestions. After lunch you might like to tour the grounds before you prepare for this evening. Tell me” she continues. “Will you attempt a séance?”

She turns to Percy. William had no interest in spiritual matters. To be honest, I myself was not particularly concerned until after his death.”

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "I would like to see the grounds this afternoon before I stand a watch tonight. Have the disturbances been limited to the house, or have there been any outside?"

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 am
by HoneyDog
”I don’t believe anything has happened outside” replies Amanda. William would undoubtedly concentrate his energies inside the house anyway.”

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:05 am
by Philulhu
”I too would like to see the grounds,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I feel the need of some fresh air.”

The air of paranoia and suspicion in the house was giving him a headache and a walk outside would do him good, even if was to look at the place where his Lordship died.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 pm
by aine
"I have brought with me the necessary items for a seance. I want to be sure your Ladyship is ready and prepared for one, it can be an emotional ordeal for loved ones of the departed. I had thought tomorrow night would be suitable after we spent tonight on a general watch but if your Ladyship would prefer tonight then I can prepare this afternoon." Says Isolde.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:52 pm
by HoneyDog
“No Miss Beauchant, you should proceed according to your plans. Howard will show you the grounds after lunch is finished.”
OOC,I will move the action outside tomorrow unless anyone continues the conversations.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:51 pm
by aine
Thank you Lady Amanda. We do have to discuss amongst ourselves who is going where this afternoon. Unless places are close by I doubt we can cover all the ground together before the light goes." Isolde replies.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[quote="HoneyDog"]In attendance with [b]Melody[/b] are again the coachman [b]McKenzie[/b], [b]Smith[/b] the gardener, and assorted other servants. [color=#4000BF]“Find anything interesting, Miss?”[/color] asks [b]McKenzie[/b]. [color=#4000BF]“I don’t suppose you’ve got to the bottom of our little mystery?”[/color][/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] [color=#fF0040]"We've barely had chance to look around the house yet to be honest, but I'm sure that we'll get to the bottom of it all when [b]Miss Beauchant [/b]holds her seance." How many strange events have occurred since [b]Lord Allingham's [/b]death? We know about the library and the kitchen last night, and also the study, but where else has been disturbed? Have staff been keeping watch most nights? It's weird that the disturbances still happen despite the watch." "Oh! And has there been any damage, other than in the study?"[/color] [ooc]Sorry, I've been dead busy. [b]Melody [/b]isn't rude and so works the above questions into the conversation one at a time, rather than blurting them all out. LOL.[/ooc] After anyone has replied, even if no one has anything helpful to say, [b]Melody [/b]will also ask, [color=#fF0040]"Who found Lord Allingham's body? Was he missing for long?"[/color] [ooc]If I get an NPC response to these questions, and perhaps the chance to say one more thing when I've seen what the other servants have to say, then I'm happy to move on. I won't hold your game up any longer.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Happy to move outside.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:18 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#FF00FF]“Oh, the disturbances have happened all over the house, but not usually where someone is sleeping”[/color] says one servant. [color=#FF4000]“I saw the door handle turn one night!”[/color] exclaims another young man, but his companion gives him a scornful look. [color=#0000BF]“There’s been a few things broken, like dishes, but no wanton destruction” [/color]says [b]McKenzie[/b]. [color=#0000BF]“As for his Lordship’s body, it were a few of us, me included, who found ‘im”[/color] he continues, a grim look on his face. [color=#0000BF]“He was late to rerun from his evening walk. Knowing that he wasn’t too popular with the villagers, [b]Lady Amanda[/b] insisted we go look for ‘im.”[/color]
“The site of His Lordship’s… demise…” states Howard delicately, “is nearer to the village. Unfortunately the carriage is indisposed this afternoon, I do apologise. It will be easier to visit Bargrove village tomorrow as it is a couple of miles walk. There should be many people there you can question” he adds, with a sidelong glance at the grim-looking Lady Amanda, who frowns every time the village is mentioned.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:49 pm
by Rooter
"A stroll around the grounds sounds fine," Percy says, finishing his lunch.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Have you noticed anything disturbed in the grounds [b]Mr. Smith[/b]?"[/color] [b]Melody[/b] asks the gardener. [color=#FF0040]"I assume that his Lordship is buried in the family graveyard outside?"[/color] To everyone she asks, [color=#FF0040]"Is there anyone in particular who would have a reason to do this to Lord Allingham? I mean, the other victims of the curse, from what we have learnt all died young, but of various causes. Riding accidents, war, illness. "So it would seem that even if the curse is somehow to blame, someone must still have killed his Lordship."[/color]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:37 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,[b]Smith[/b] shakes his head. [color=#008000]"I haven't noticed anything. There was a funny scratching on the roof of my cottage the other night, but it could have been an animal I suppose. Of course, [b]Sir William[/b] is buried in the graveyard. It’s well tended, too” [/color]he adds proudly. [b]McKenzie[/b] frowns. [color=#0000BF]"Of course someone killed him. I'm sure you've heard [b]Lady Amanda[/b] suspect the villagers, but even though there was nae love for the master there, I really canna see them doing him in so brutally, burnin’ ‘im an’ suchlike. We really don't know.”[/color]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 pm
by aine
"Thank you for lunch, Lady Amanda." Isolde then turns to the others. "Shall we visit the graveyard first? We may need the best daylight to read the inscriptions. I'd like to find the graves from the 1600s."

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, thank you, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "The food was delicious. I agree, the graveyard is an excellent first stop."

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:32 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Thank you,"[/color] says [b]Melody[/b]. She helps the other servants to tidy up before going to join the rest of the society.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:02 pm
by HoneyDog
After lunch is finished, the investigators their winter garments and assemble with Howard outside the kitchen at the rear of the house. To their surprise, Ursula and Josephine are in attendance, Josephine stating that Ursula wanted to get some fresh air after being inside all morning.

The gardens are quite an expanse of lawns and flower beds and look to be carefully tended, although now there is little growing and the soil is hardened by frost. A light covering of snow lays over the ground. Dotted around are carefully pruned hedges and trees.

To the left is a large building which Howard, shivering in his coat, announces to be the stables. Over on the right is a smaller cottage which is the abode of Smith, the gardener. In the distance an ornamental lake, to which is next the cemetery, can be seen.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good afternoon," says Alexander to Josephine and Ursula. "Are your lessons going well?"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:35 pm
by aine
"I am glad you are come." Says Isolde to Ursula and Josephine, " You can help us investigate the graveyard and use your powers of deducement!" She watches to see Ursula's reaction.
Pschology,(45%) roll:39

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:05 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam noted the light snow, thinking that it might prove useful later in proving, or disproving, the origins of any disturbances.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes thank you” says Ursula to Alexander. She doesn’t seem to understand Isolde’s statement.

Ursula wants to visit Mr. Smith at his cottage” says Josephine. “She often plays with him. She doesn’t like to go to the graveyard.”

“Would you care to visit the stables?” asks Howard.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Alexander to Ursula. "If ye want to learn a bit more science, just ask." He nods to Howard. "Aye, I'd like to see the stables after we're done in the graveyard."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:30 am
by HoneyDog
“Very well” replies Howard, and continues on to the cemetery. Before the companions reach there, Ursula and Josephine split off in the direction of the cottage.

The cemetery like the gardens is well-kept, but is obviously very old. It is ringed by a wrought-iron fence, and two large cypress trees guard each side of the creaking gate, casting their shadows over the huddled graves. Many of the crosses and headstones marking the graves are badly weathered.

“Most Allinghams from the last two centuries have been interred here” announces Howard. "Most recently, of course, was Sir William.”

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should see his grave first, then," says Alexander. "The Allinghams from further back are in the crypt, I presume."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:47 am
by HoneyDog
“That is correct, sir” says Howard. He leads the way to Sir William’s grave.

It is of course the most recent. The gave itself is made of marble, and inscribed on the stone above it are the dates of William’s life, with the simple inscription ‘Here lies a loving husband and father. May he rest in peace’.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:59 am
by Rooter
Unsure of what to look for, Percy wanders around the graveyard trying to spot any signs of recent disturbance.
Spot Hidden 45%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,There doesn't seem to be anything out of order, the graveyard looks very placid and peaceful.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 pm
by Rooter
"Well, it all seems peaceful enough," Percy remarks to the others, lighting his pipe. He glances across at the ornamental lake to see whether the surface is frozen over.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam wandered through the graveyard, looking for the gravestones of any other members of the Allingham family. Something occurred to him and he looked over to Howard. ”Is there a family history in the library?” he asked.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,The edges of the lake are frozen but not the centre, not yet at least.
"I believe that there is" muses Howard. "Although unfortunately the collection is not cataloged".

He looks around. "If you've seen enough, we can head to the stables, or is there anything else you would care to see?"

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm ready to see the stables," says Alexander.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There's nothing more of interest in the cemetery.
The party makes its way to the stables, a large building in good condition. The Allingham carriage is stored here but it is absent right now as are two of the six horses. There are oat bins for the horses feed and a hay loft. Of interest is a sleigh adorned with small silver bells.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:40 pm
by Raiko
Melody keeps quiet during the tour, unless she's asked something.

She glances around the stables as she walks over to take a look at the sleigh.
OOC,Spot hidden: [dice]0[/dice] Sorry this thread had a bit of a thanksgiving post explosion while I slept Thursday night. And I was on my own at work Friday.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:02 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam looked around the stables and inspected the sleigh with silver bells. ”What was this used for?” he asked Howard.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:05 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,There doesn't seem to be anything unusual about the sleigh.
“Two years ago we had a very severe winter” says Howard. McKenzie put this together with the help of the village blacksmith out of the parts of old carriages, and we used it to bring in supplies from Princetown. We keep it in the expectation that may might need it again.”

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Ah, thinks Alexander, so not an early visit from Father Christmas, then.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 am
by Rooter
"Shall we call at the cottage on the way back?" Percy suggests. "I don't believe we've met this Smith fellow yet."

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:20 pm
by aine
Isolde, disappointed in the graveyard and feeling chilled and damp, just huddles in her thick scarf and stamps her feet to keep warm. She rather fancies the idea of spending more time in the warmer library looking through the family history.
"I think I might walk back to the house and start on those records; maybe get them into some semblance of order."

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'd like to stop at the cottage," says Alexander.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:47 am
by Philulhu
aine wrote:Isolde, disappointed in the graveyard and feeling chilled and damp, just huddles in her thick scarf and stamps her feet to keep warm. She rather fancies the idea of spending more time in the warmer library looking through the family history.
"I think I might walk back to the house and start on those records; maybe get them into some semblance of order."
”I think I will join you,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I’d like to read up on the family history.”

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Josephine and Ursula are at the cottage so its a chance to talk to them a bit more if you want. Everyone can go to the library after; there's plenty of time and the advantage is it will increase your chances of a successful search.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK.
”...on the other hand,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”If it’s on the way back, we may as well pop in and see what he’s got to say. He may even have a fire going...” He rubbed his hands together briskly. He’d never previously been bothered by the cold but his time abroad had changed that, and even his gloves weren’t keeping him warm.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 pm
by aine
'I suppose we'll be out of the cold sooner if we stop at the cottage. Let's walk!' Isolde turns away out of the stables hoping Howard will lead the way.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am
by Raiko
Melody smiles and greets the gardener when the society arrive at his house.

"Hello Mr. Smith."

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:54 am
by HoneyDog
Smith’s cottage is a simple one-room affair, although it’s whitewashed walls are clean and there is a comforting rich, earthy smell to it. Smith himself is fussing with a seed tray in the company of Ursula as the investigators approach, while Josephine looks on fondly behind them. Smith cheerfully returns Melody’s greeting.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good day, Mr. Smith," says Alexander. "My apologies if we're interrupting."

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 am
by HoneyDog
”Not at all, sir” replies Smith. Miss Ursula an’ me was just preparing the bulbs for spring, weren’t we, Miss?”

Ursula nods, smiling.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 pm
by Rooter
Percy clears his throat. "Do you or Howard, in your years of working here, recall any previous episodes of unusual activity at Bargrove?" he inquires. "Perhaps around the time of the other male relatives' untimely passing?"

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:39 pm
by HoneyDog
Smith shifts uncomfortably and Howard looks taken aback at the question.

“I hardly think that this is a suitable topic to talk about in front of the young miss, sir” he says firmly. “And the answer is no. Never.”

He pauses. “Perhaps it would be better to return to the house now.”

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander rolls his eyes at Percy's thoughtless question. "If you think it best," he says to Howard before turning to Smith and Ursula. "I'm sure we'll see you around later during our stay."

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:03 am
by Philulhu
”Have you considered applying for a posting with the diplomatic corps?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, drily. ”I hear they are crying out for men with your talents...”

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 am
by Rooter
"Bah!" says Percy.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions are led back to the house, feeling somewhat shamefaced at their latest indiscretion.

“We have some time before the evening meal” announces Howard. “I believe that it is your intention to peruse the library? If this is the case, I will have one of the servants bring you some tea, and have a fire lit for you.”
OOC,Would you like to search the library now? It will take some time to search through the books, perhaps even several days. If you roll successfully, you can find something. If not, you can try again tomorrow. What are you looking for?

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm
by aine
"Really it is too much." Isolde mutters to Alexander on the way back. "Whenever one wishes to speak frankly with someone, young Ursula is around." Once they get to the library, Isolde immediately starts scanning the books for titles on local superstitions and anything on the occult; with her rudimentary knowledge on this subject she feels this is a better use of her time, leaving the family history to the others. At least for this afternoon.
library,(75%) roll:61

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's nae the wee lassie's fault," replies Alexander to Isolde. "She's rather charming, and I would have liked to show her another scientific demonstration. She seemed so pleased with the last one."

"Thank you, Howard," Alexander says once they return to the house. "Some tea and a nice warm fire would be lovely." He researches the family's history, focusing particularly on the mid-17th century.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) researching the family's history: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 am
by Philulhu
”I understand that there was a book upstairs in one of the bedrooms,” said Captain FitzWilliam to Howard. ”If I heard correctly, it may have come from his Lordship’s room? I would be interested to read that, if it would not be an impertinent request.”

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
The search has taken several tiring hours but the investigators have turned up two items of interest. One is a slim, privately-printed leather-bound book entitled A History of Bargrove Parish, dating from 1750, and written by a Thomas Worthington. It seems to detail facts and legends about the area.

The other is a thick, gilt-embossed book written by the late Charles Allingham while he was a student at Cambridge, and printed solely for the Allingham family. It is named The Allinghams of Bargrove Hall.

Unfortunately the hour is growing late, and Howard drops by to enquire after their searches and to inform that dinner will be served in around twenty minutes. The books will have to wait to be perused.

Confronted by Captain Fitzwilliam’s question, Howard is confused. “I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific sir” he asks. “What book and whose room are you referring to?”
OOC,I’m also unaware of what book this might be. Please be aware that if Howard or Lady Allingham find out that someone has been creeping around her bedroom, you all might find yourselves back on the train to London.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm
by Rooter
Percy, who spent the hours the others were searching the library taking a nap in preparation for the night's vigil, is already on his way to get ready for dinner.
OOC,Percy saw some books in Lady Allingham's room but he never mentioned them to anyone. We already know she's interested in the occult so it's natural she would be reading about it.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 pm
by Raiko
Melody has never encountered so many books in her life as she has during the past week - even Doctor Alexander's passion for research has never required her too spend so long browsing through dusty old tomes and newspaper archives.

While half heartedly joining in the search for information in the Allingham family library, she concentrates on looking out for anything that might be hidden here - notes left inside books or something hidden by the bookcases themselves.
Spot Hidden,Melody - Spot Hidden (60%) - [dice]0[/dice] Edit - Typical! I could have actually passed a library use with that roll.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 pm
by Raiko
While searching the library when Howard is away, Melody says to the others, "The servants still aren't for gossiping. Not about the Allinghams nor the villagers.

"The coachman Mr McKenzie was the person who was the most curious about our investigation. He was in the party that discovered Lord Allingham's body.

"I'll try to speak alone to one of the younger maids later, there's bound to be some gossip. Perhaps one of the girls will chat when the older servants aren't around."

OOC,Excuse the double post. ;)

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:48 pm
by aine
Before Howard arrives Isolde says to Captain Fitzwilliam and Alexander,
'At some point we should discuss our plans for tonight's vigil. I think the less people who know about it the better. Maybe once Percy is with us we can decide where and who should do what. I'm surprised there are no books on the supernatural here amongst all these books."
ooc,Whoops I missed that Lady Amanda is interested in the occult!

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'd hoped to speak to Mr. McKenzie as one Scot to another," says Alexander to Melody, "but he didna seem to want aught to do with me when I first met him. Of course, he may be more open with fellow servants, and you're a good deal prettier than I am."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm
by Philulhu
HoneyDog wrote:Confronted by Captain Fitzwilliam’s question, Howard is confused. “I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific sir” he asks. “What book and whose room are you referring to?”
”Oh, I’m really not sure,” replied Captain FitzWilliam as casually as he could. ”It’s of no matter. The books we have found here will keep me occupied for a while.” He nodded to himself then made his excuses to leave and get ready for dinner.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,Melody can be certain that nothing is hidden in the library.
Dinner begins at six, and as usual Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are in attendance. Today’s meal is trout, which the cook is very proud of procuring at this time of year, and which is cooked to perfection.

Lady Amanda is very interested in hearing about the companions’ thoughts and their plans for the evening.

“The staff are completely at your disposal” she tells them. “The disturbances that we have discovered seem to occur in the small hours, so please do not exert yourselves so early in the evening.”

Melody meanwhile dines with the staff, whom she should be able to question to some degree. Her roommate and McKenzie are dining with her, along with some others.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "We will need the assistance of the staff to stand watch tonight, as there aren't enough of us to cover the entire house. We ourselves shall watch from the rooms where the disturbances seem to happen most frequently, while the staff shall cover the other places where they've been observed before. If they happen somewhere they haven't been observed yet, hopefully one of us will at least hear something. If one of the servants observes a disturbance, he or she is to immediately fetch us so that we may examine the scene while it is still fresh."

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:30 am
by HoneyDog
“That sounds very thorough” replies Lady Amanda. “But I must ask, what makes you think that this approach will work? We already have people watching for what causes the disturbances, but they are never able to witness anything. This, I’m afraid, sounds like simply more of the same.”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:07 pm
by Rooter
"Ah, but you have not before had the services of a medium attuned to such disturbances," Percy replies. "Indeed, I would suggest that the servants are not involved or even informed of our intentions, in order to eliminate the possibility of an impostor among the staff. Each of the society will be able to conceal themselves and watch a different affected area such as the library, the kitchen, the study. Of course, I'd rather just stay in bed but if Miss Beauchant believes it is worth a try..."

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda perks up at the mention of Isolde’s ability.

“Of course!” she exclaims. “How silly of me not to think of that. Please, Miss Beauchant, tell us what you think about how to proceed.”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 pm
by aine
"I rather agree with Mr Stringer; it would help if the staff were not informed but I disagree as to the reason. We should endeavour to maintain normality. Excitable and over emotional servants are likely to disrupt the auras and energy lines that flow through the house.
Those on watch should remain as still and as calm as possible and be vigilant. Signs that a disturbance is about to occur are: a sudden drop in temperature, flickering lights, odd noises or a personal feeling of apprehension or even dread. If possible, write notes as soon as something seems to be happening.
Unfortunately, best results are gained by quiet observation; calling out to alert others or running for help will disrupt any paranormal activity in most cases.
Isolde takes a sip of wine,
"Although it is difficult in such a large house I can to some extent prepare the locations and harmonise the energies that surround us."

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
“I understand” says Lady Amanda. She seems excited and her eyes burn feverishly. “It shall be as you say. What time would you like to begin from? As I said, we don’t usually expect any disturbances until the early hours. If you wish, I can have the servants awaken you at around midnight.”

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:15 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam glanced around, wondering if anyone else had noticed Lady Allingham’s reaction, which seemed at odds with someone who, so far, had struck him as rather reserved.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:58 pm
by Rooter
"Please don't trouble the servants on our behalf, your ladyship," Percy replies. "We shall be acting incognito, as we say in the trade. Mmm, good trout, this."

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:26 pm
by aine
"Yes it would be better if we woke ourselves. Lady Amanda, would you perhaps like to join me in the preparation? It often helps to have a close family member nearby: I can finely tune the energies for a particular spirit then. And you might find it interesting." Isolde also saw Lady Allingham almost animated for the first time and she caught Percy's eye.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Alexander. "I volunteer to stand my watch in the study."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 am
by HoneyDog
“I will certainly be joining you” says Lady Amanda firmly. “At last, I feel that we are on the verge of progress!”
OOC:   You can position yourselves as you see fit. Also, please give an indication of how you will use the time between now and midnight. It might be a late one, so perhaps your characters might want to rest. Once you’re ready, we can move the action forward to midnight.  

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm
by Philulhu
Years in the army meant that Captain FitzWilliam would wake at whatever time he planned.

”What time do the servants retire, your Ladyship?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 pm
by HoneyDog
“Before our disturbances began, it was usually around ten to eleven pm, although it depends of course on their duties. Of course now, there is always someone awake” comes the reply. “I can have them all retire for the night if you prefer.”

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:42 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam glanced at Isolde and said, ”I think that would be the most appropriate course of action. The fewer people moving around, the better. Do you agree, Miss Beauchamp?”

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] [color=#fF0040]"[b]Mr Smith[/b], I'm sorry about [b]Mr Stringer's [/b]careless question earlier. He sends his apologies, I hope [b]Miss Urula[/b] wasn't too upset? She looked so happy arranging the seeds with you."[/color] [b]Melody [/b]smiles at the gardener and speaks quietly, [color=#fF0040]"If I may be so bold, I wonder if it might be possible for me to observe the grounds from your cottage tonight? [b]Miss Urula[/b], poor thing, has taken to gazing out at the grounds in her sleep. Watching from your cottage would make sure that there's nothing to see, without risking upsetting her." "Oh yes, the other night - did you notice any animal tracks after you heard the scratching on your roof?"[/color] [ooc]Sorry, I couldn't post this weekend, just trying to catch up. :oops:[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander will get some sleep before it is time for his shift tonight. He will use his portable alarm clock to awaken himself, making sure it is fully wound and set to the proper time.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm
by aine
"I think it would be best if only we are awake tonight. After dinner I will prepare the study and the library. Are there any other rooms do you think?" Isolde looks at Lady Allingham. "I may have to move lamps around, I'll place crystals and maybe make some marks; please do not disturb any of these during the night. I'm expecting this to take me several hours. Those who wish to observe may do so.
Then I will retire until midnight. I will check the preparations and then take my watch in the library." Isolde looks at Percy and the captain.
"Obviously we cannot cover the whole house but it may be useful to have someone roaming silently, especially in the corridors between the study, the library and any other room that Lady Allingham suggests if you like this idea."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 pm
by Philulhu
”I would be happy to take that role,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”I would rather keep moving than have to stay in one place.”

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:00 am
by Rooter
"Jolly good," Percy agrees. "That leaves the kitchen as the other room which I recall has seen disturbances and which I shall therefore set up camp in once the servants are retired." He heads off to rest and digest the trout until the appointed hour.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#408000]“Oh, she was fine" [/color][b]Smith[/b] replies. [color=#408000]"It’s just been difficult for her as you can imagine. She’s an only child too, and doesn’t have any playmates, poor thing. I try to keep her occupied.”[/color] [color=#408000]“Certainly, you can watch from the cottage. I didn’t see any tracks that time, come to think about it”.[/color]
12am, later that night.

The servants have been ordered to remain in their quarters, and only the companions and Lady Amanda are active. Isolde has completed her preparations, and beside her Amanda fidgets impatiently, eagerly awaiting some kind of sign. Captain Fitzwilliam is patrolling the corridors, while Percy shuffles sleepily around the kitchen. Alexander waits quietly in the study, while Melody watches from the cottage, trying to get a glimpse of any movement outside. Mr. Smith snores in the background.

A couple of hours pass, and the house is still. The warmth has left the rooms, and it is growing bitterly cold as the temperature outside drops even further.
Fitzwilliam,[b]Fitzwilliam[/b] is in the dining room, on the chapel side of the room. He hears a squeaking sound. Raising his lantern, he sees the door handle on the door across from him turning. But no-one enters, and the door handle returns to its usual position with a snap.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:48 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,The hairs on the back of his neck stood up as [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] stepped quietly across the room and quickly placed the lantern on a serving table near the door. With a firm grip on his walking stick, he opened the door and looked into the chapel beyond.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,In the dim, flickering light cast by the lantern, FitzWilliam can see that there is no-one in the corridor.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] picked up his lantern and held it forward so as to better illuminate the corridor. [color=#800000]”Who’s there?”[/color] he asked, sternly.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:08 pm
by aine
Isolde has sat herself in a shadowy corner of the library with Lady Allingham next to her. She watches the carefully placed candles flickering in the cool air and checks the light sparkling off nine crystals placed in a large pentagram shape that spans the room.

She has drawn a faint symbol above the door, the fireplace and the windows, these marks can be seen on other planes and act as guides; so she explained to Lady Allingham earlier in the evening. Around the room she has placed certain tarot cards; these are to facilitate communication with any spirits that may wish to send a message.

She has made similar preparations in the study and the kitchen and has spent time channelling in the corridors between.
ooc,My next post will be a spoiler but I wanted everyone to know the preparations.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander relaxes in an armchair in the study, contemplating the mysteries of science as he keeps watch.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 am
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,The hall is plainly empty and [b]FitzWilliam[/b] can see that the front doors are closed. It is possible that someone may be on the other side of the staircase.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:18 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] stepped forward carefully, holding up the lantern to illuminate the corners of hallway, before he moved around the bottom of the staircase to check the other side.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,There is no one there.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:11 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] sighed and shook his head. He had wondered if it was [b]Percy[/b] playing a trick on him to get his own back for the comment about the diplomatic corps earlier in the day, but he reasoned that he wouldn’t be so foolish to attract the ire of Lady Allingham again. He held the lantern up to light the hallway and, satisfied that there was nothing in the hallway, turned around to head back into the dining room.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] is interrupted in his musings by what sounds like a soft moan outside the door.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] creeps over to the door, not wanting to disturb whoever is making the noise, and peeks through the keyhole.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 pm
by Rooter
In the kitchen, Percy periodically checks the cellar for signs of ghosts and also helps himself to a midnight snack.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:31 pm
by aine
Isolde,"We could read some books if you wish, Lady Allingham." Isolde rises and paces silently around the bookshelves. She listens intently and tries to tune in spiritually. She hums in a low, continuous tone and trails her left hand along the bookshelves. When the time seems 'right' she takes that seemingly random book to the table. Without looking at its title, she opens it at a random page and reads what is written. "Are you interested in spiritually and the supernatural, Lady Allingham?" She asks quietly.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 am
by Raiko
Melody,[img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] Inside the small cottage, [b]Melody [/b] pulls her coat more tightly around herself, peering out through the frosty glass at the graveyard and the grounds. [i]This is silly[/i], she thinks to herself, [i]the only things that [b]Ursula [/b]sees out here are in her dreams. And [b]Mr. Smith[/b] probably heard a squirrel on the roof.[/i]

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,It is too dark for [b]Alexander[/b] to see anything clearly, but there is definitely nothing obstructing his view.
Isolde,[color=#FF0000]“Why yes, I am”[/color] says [b]Amanda [/b]firmly.[color=#FF0040] “I’m sure that there is another world beyond ours. W[b]illiam[/b] must be trying to reach me from it.”[/color]

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] lights a candle and holds it near the keyhole so he can see beyond it.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Alexander still cannot make anything out in the gloom. But he hears a noise; it sounds like a breath being drawn inward, very close to the door.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] quietly cracks open the door and peeks through it.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Alexander can see nothing in the corridor from his narrow field of vision.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] opens the door the rest of the way and looks out into the corridor.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm
by aine
Isolde,"I'm convinced these disturbances are Lord Allingham's ghost trying to communicate. We just have to translate the signs. That's why it's so important nothing is disturbed. Lady Allingham, do you mind me asking; has Ursula been much affected- beyond normal expected grief for the loss of a father? I only ask because the young are more in tune with the supernatural, they have less prejudices and often see things as they really are. Ursula seems a thoughtful, careful child and I wonder if she is receiving her own messages in some way from the other side."

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,The corridor is empty.
Isolde,[b]Amanda [/b]is silent as she contemplates what [b]Isolde[/b] has told her. After a while, she asks; [color=#FF0000]“Do you think that [b]Ursula’s[/b] sleepwalking could be the result of [b]William[/b] trying to communicate through her?” [/color]Her eyes are wide as she considers this possibility.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,[i]Must be a draft,[/i] thinks [b]Alexander[/b] with a shrug. He quietly closes the door and resumes his watch.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 pm
by aine
Isolde,"It may be; or it could be that Ursula knows something without realising it and her subconscious is trying to communicate. Have you followed her when she sleepwalks? Does she always go to the same place?

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:37 am
by HoneyDog
Isolde,[color=#FF0000]“Why, yes. She always goes to the schoolroom window…”[/color] They are suddenly interrupted by a noise. It sounds like a child screaming. [color=#FF0000]“[b]Ursula![/b]” [/color]shouts [b]Amanda[/b]. She runs from the room.
FitzWilliam,Fitzwilliam is interrupted from his thoughts by the sound of screaming. It is coming from upstairs, and it sounds like a child.
Percy,Percy is interrupted from his thoughts by the sound of screaming. It is coming from upstairs, and it sounds like a child.
Alexander,Alexander is interrupted from his thoughts by the sound of screaming. It is coming from nearby, and it sounds like a child.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
Alexander,Still holding the lit candle, [b]Alexander[/b] races toward the scream.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] dashes upstairs in the direction of the screams.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] started at the scream then spun around and ran for the stairs, climbing as quick as he could. At the top of the stairs he stopped and tried to work out where the screaming was coming from.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm
by HoneyDog
There is a small knot of worried-looking servants crowded around the entrance to Ursula’s room. The screaming has ceased but Ursula can be heard crying inside.

Lady Amanda comes racing up the stairs and pushes her way into the room. As the companions approach the servants respectfully step aside.

Ursula, who was previously being comforted by a worried-looking Josephine, is now being held by her mother. She sobs uncontrollably, but her mother’s presence and soothing words eventually calms her down.

Ursula, dearest!” exclaims Amanda. “It was just a bad dream! What was it dear? Can you tell me what you dreamed about?”

Ursula’s words cannot be heard clearly by the companions, but they can see Lady Amanda’s face crease with concern. She looks up at Isolde, who has also entered.

“She says she saw ‘the burnt man’”!

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm
by Rooter
Percy hurries over to the window overlooking the graveyard to see if anyone or anything can be seen outside.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:53 pm
by aine
"Comfort her but excuse me for just two minutes!" Isolde immediately turns and traces Ursula's sleepwalking route to the school room window and looks out, hoping to see what it is that usually attracts the young girl at this time of night.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right now, Ursula," says Alexander in a reassuring tone. "Dreams cannot hurt us. They're just our mind's way of sorting through things while we sleep. Who is the burnt man?"

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
Quietly but firmly, Captain FitzWilliam said to the servants, ”I think it would be a good idea if everyone went back to their rooms. Miss Ursula has had a fright and she’ll be better for not knowing that she’s woken everybody up.”

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 am
by HoneyDog
Isolde & Percy,The view from the schoolroom window merely shows the frozen gardens and their facilities, and the moors stretching beyond. There are no signs of life.
FitzWilliam,The servants, assured by Ursula’s safety and used to the tones of authority, obey FitzWilliam’s request and with a few backward glances return to their rooms.
Alexander,Ursula shakes her head and cries harder. [color=#FF0000]“It might be better to wait until the morning”[/color] says Lady Amanda. [color=#FF0000]“I will stay with her tonight.”[/color]

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:08 pm
by Rooter
Exchanging a glance with Isolde, Percy turns back from the window. "No men to be seen, burnt or otherwise. Must have been a bad dream as you say."

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm
by aine
Isolde comes back and once Ursula has gone back to bed with her mother she says, "There was nothing outside that Percy or I could see. The burnt man can only be her father's body surely? I can't believe anyone let her see it so how does she know unless she overheard gossip or is receiving a message from the other side.

We'd better hurry back to our posts; let's hope there hasn't been a disturbance in the meantime! I'll come and check each room now."

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam [/b]nodded his agreement and made his way back down the stairs. He checked the area at the bottom of the stairs once again before he took up his previous post.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,Returning to the kitchen, Percy finds that one of the back doors is open. There is no other sign of disturbance. There are no tracks outside. He closes and locks the door.
The time passes slowly and the house grows even colder. It is now 3am, and no other disturbances are witnessed.
OOC,Do you want to call it a night? You’ll have to weigh up what you think you can achieve by standing guard against the need to keep your energy for tomorrow’s investigations.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Were there any previous reports of disturbances in the hours shortly before dawn?

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Most seemed to occur in the early hours after midnight.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 am
by Rooter
Expecting that the window of activity has passed with dawn not far off, Percy decides to head back to bed; before retiring he mentions to the others in passing that the back door of the kitchen was opened and left open while they were upstairs with no sign of any disturbance or tracks.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm
by Philulhu
”When I was in the dining room, I saw the door handle move across the room but when I checked the corridor beyond, there was no-one there,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”l was heading back to the dining room when I heard Miss Ursula scream...”

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:51 pm
by aine
"I think the door handle may have been a precursor to something but the child screaming put an end to anything happening last night. It is strange about the kitchen door though. I suppose we should admit defeat tonight and turn in." Isolde says to the others when they meet again a few hours before dawn. "I shall be up for a late breakfast."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I’ll begin a new thread for the next day later then. The characters can have a lie-in and a late breakfast. Unfortunately Melody was out of the action, but she can get back involved again. You guys can think about what course of action you want to take. You have a couple of options.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I also heard a sound like a moan from out in the corridor," says Alexander, "but when I went to look, nobody was there. Probably just a draft. Well, I'm off to bed."