Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Raiko »

Melody has never encountered so many books in her life as she has during the past week - even Doctor Alexander's passion for research has never required her too spend so long browsing through dusty old tomes and newspaper archives.

While half heartedly joining in the search for information in the Allingham family library, she concentrates on looking out for anything that might be hidden here - notes left inside books or something hidden by the bookcases themselves.
Spot Hidden,Melody - Spot Hidden (60%) - [dice]0[/dice] Edit - Typical! I could have actually passed a library use with that roll.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

While searching the library when Howard is away, Melody says to the others, "The servants still aren't for gossiping. Not about the Allinghams nor the villagers.

"The coachman Mr McKenzie was the person who was the most curious about our investigation. He was in the party that discovered Lord Allingham's body.

"I'll try to speak alone to one of the younger maids later, there's bound to be some gossip. Perhaps one of the girls will chat when the older servants aren't around."

OOC,Excuse the double post. ;)
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Before Howard arrives Isolde says to Captain Fitzwilliam and Alexander,
'At some point we should discuss our plans for tonight's vigil. I think the less people who know about it the better. Maybe once Percy is with us we can decide where and who should do what. I'm surprised there are no books on the supernatural here amongst all these books."
ooc,Whoops I missed that Lady Amanda is interested in the occult!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd hoped to speak to Mr. McKenzie as one Scot to another," says Alexander to Melody, "but he didna seem to want aught to do with me when I first met him. Of course, he may be more open with fellow servants, and you're a good deal prettier than I am."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

HoneyDog wrote:Confronted by Captain Fitzwilliam’s question, Howard is confused. “I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific sir” he asks. “What book and whose room are you referring to?”
”Oh, I’m really not sure,” replied Captain FitzWilliam as casually as he could. ”It’s of no matter. The books we have found here will keep me occupied for a while.” He nodded to himself then made his excuses to leave and get ready for dinner.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Melody,Melody can be certain that nothing is hidden in the library.
Dinner begins at six, and as usual Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are in attendance. Today’s meal is trout, which the cook is very proud of procuring at this time of year, and which is cooked to perfection.

Lady Amanda is very interested in hearing about the companions’ thoughts and their plans for the evening.

“The staff are completely at your disposal” she tells them. “The disturbances that we have discovered seem to occur in the small hours, so please do not exert yourselves so early in the evening.”

Melody meanwhile dines with the staff, whom she should be able to question to some degree. Her roommate and McKenzie are dining with her, along with some others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "We will need the assistance of the staff to stand watch tonight, as there aren't enough of us to cover the entire house. We ourselves shall watch from the rooms where the disturbances seem to happen most frequently, while the staff shall cover the other places where they've been observed before. If they happen somewhere they haven't been observed yet, hopefully one of us will at least hear something. If one of the servants observes a disturbance, he or she is to immediately fetch us so that we may examine the scene while it is still fresh."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“That sounds very thorough” replies Lady Amanda. “But I must ask, what makes you think that this approach will work? We already have people watching for what causes the disturbances, but they are never able to witness anything. This, I’m afraid, sounds like simply more of the same.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"Ah, but you have not before had the services of a medium attuned to such disturbances," Percy replies. "Indeed, I would suggest that the servants are not involved or even informed of our intentions, in order to eliminate the possibility of an impostor among the staff. Each of the society will be able to conceal themselves and watch a different affected area such as the library, the kitchen, the study. Of course, I'd rather just stay in bed but if Miss Beauchant believes it is worth a try..."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda perks up at the mention of Isolde’s ability.

“Of course!” she exclaims. “How silly of me not to think of that. Please, Miss Beauchant, tell us what you think about how to proceed.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I rather agree with Mr Stringer; it would help if the staff were not informed but I disagree as to the reason. We should endeavour to maintain normality. Excitable and over emotional servants are likely to disrupt the auras and energy lines that flow through the house.
Those on watch should remain as still and as calm as possible and be vigilant. Signs that a disturbance is about to occur are: a sudden drop in temperature, flickering lights, odd noises or a personal feeling of apprehension or even dread. If possible, write notes as soon as something seems to be happening.
Unfortunately, best results are gained by quiet observation; calling out to alert others or running for help will disrupt any paranormal activity in most cases.
Isolde takes a sip of wine,
"Although it is difficult in such a large house I can to some extent prepare the locations and harmonise the energies that surround us."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I understand” says Lady Amanda. She seems excited and her eyes burn feverishly. “It shall be as you say. What time would you like to begin from? As I said, we don’t usually expect any disturbances until the early hours. If you wish, I can have the servants awaken you at around midnight.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam glanced around, wondering if anyone else had noticed Lady Allingham’s reaction, which seemed at odds with someone who, so far, had struck him as rather reserved.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"Please don't trouble the servants on our behalf, your ladyship," Percy replies. "We shall be acting incognito, as we say in the trade. Mmm, good trout, this."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yes it would be better if we woke ourselves. Lady Amanda, would you perhaps like to join me in the preparation? It often helps to have a close family member nearby: I can finely tune the energies for a particular spirit then. And you might find it interesting." Isolde also saw Lady Allingham almost animated for the first time and she caught Percy's eye.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very well," says Alexander. "I volunteer to stand my watch in the study."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I will certainly be joining you” says Lady Amanda firmly. “At last, I feel that we are on the verge of progress!”
OOC:   You can position yourselves as you see fit. Also, please give an indication of how you will use the time between now and midnight. It might be a late one, so perhaps your characters might want to rest. Once you’re ready, we can move the action forward to midnight.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Years in the army meant that Captain FitzWilliam would wake at whatever time he planned.

”What time do the servants retire, your Ladyship?” he asked.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Before our disturbances began, it was usually around ten to eleven pm, although it depends of course on their duties. Of course now, there is always someone awake” comes the reply. “I can have them all retire for the night if you prefer.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam glanced at Isolde and said, ”I think that would be the most appropriate course of action. The fewer people moving around, the better. Do you agree, Miss Beauchamp?”

Return to “The Burnt Man”