Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by HoneyDog »

Thursday December 16th,

Bargrove Hall

The companions are awoken at 8am, and after refreshing themselves make their way back down to the dining room for a breakfast of porridge and kippers. Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are again in attendance. Around the house, the moors stretch into the distance, cold with frost. The sky is a leaden grey.

Lady Amanda still looks pale & tense. After Ursula has left with Josephine to begin her morning studies, Amanda gives the reason for her tension.

“My husband’s spirit was again active last night. Pots and pans were misplaced in the kitchen, and books were removed from the library shelves. Howard will guide you around Bargrove Hall this morning after breakfast, and I hope that you will begin your investigation forthwith. Do you have any questions to ask before you begin?”

Meanwhile, Melody again dines in the kitchen with the servants, who are busy preparing for their daily tasks. She will rejoin the others after her breakfast.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pardon me for asking, milady, but how do you know that it was your husband who moved the objects?" asks Alexander. "Is it possible that someone living could have done it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam buttered some toast and waited for Lady Allingham to reply.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lady Amanda shakes her head firmly.

”It’s not possible. There’s no sign of forced entry anywhere. And the servants have all vouched for each other. It can only be William, I’m certain. However, I am no fanatic and I will listen to whatever theories you advance with an open mind.”

She still looks troubled, despite these words, and gazes down at the table.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Do you know which books were moved, Lady Allingham?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Just in case there may be some significance in their titles or subject matter.”

Captain FitzWilliam found it hard to believe that items could move by themselves and wondered if more earthly forces were at play.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No, I wasn’t informed about that” says Amanda. “Are you ready to tour the house?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I am if my colleagues are,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, as he brushed the toast crumbs from his clothes and stood up.
Last edited by Philulhu on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I expect we are too late today; the servants will have already tidied up. But next time, Lady Allingham, please can nothing be touched until we have examined the area of disturbance. Captain Fitzwiiliam is correct in that there is likely to be some significance to what has occurred. And I suggest we prepare for a vigil tonight! If Lady Allingham concurs, we might consider a seance too in a night or two." Isolde then rises, ready to take the tour.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody greats each servant she encounters warmly (even the housekeeper), but mostly just tries to keep out of everyone's way while she eats her breakfast - she understands that this is a very busy time for the staff.

She keeps her ears tuned for any gossip of goings on during the night, but she doesn't mention her and Percy's night time encounter to anyone.

After eating she asks if there is anything she can help with while she waits for the rest of the society to finish eating.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, Your Ladyship, I'm ready," says Alexander. "I'm particularly interested to learn about the history of the house, and anything noteworthy that may have happened here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   OOC, Once you have explored the house, I will provide a map. We will just visit the larger and more important rooms, but don't expect to find hidden secrets in every corner!  

Melody
finishes her breakfast and rejoins the group. The first port of call is the chapel, which is directly opposite the dining room on the opposite side of the room where they enter.

It is dark and chill in the winter cold. Howard explain that it is not in use much lately, and no-one has been interred since the late 1700s. Several tombs can be seen within. It basically resembles a scaled-down church, complete with altar, font and pews.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"I presume the family has been using the graveyard outside since then?" Percy inquires. "More space, I suppose? Are all the, ah, unfortunate males up to our most recently deceased buried there?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"That's correct, sir" nods Howard.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Do you have any theories as the what may have accounted for so many men in the family at such a young age?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, as he looked around the chapel.
OOC,Just on the off chance... Spot Hidden - 25% [dice]0[/dice]
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Ooooh! Can't you just feel the atmosphere in here, it is resonating! So much history!" Isolde walks briskly around the chapel, gesticulating at and looking hard at all the features. "Quiet please!" She holds up her hand, listening carefully. "Yes, it is as I thought, there are restless spirits here!" She looks askance at Mr Howard and then continues walking around, running her hand along the pews.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Howard looks bemused at the antics of the society.

“No, sir” he replies to FitzWilliam. “Except that life is sometimes very difficult”.

One interesting tomb may be noted by those looking around – that of Sir Montague Allingham. It bears a carved effigy of his likeness in a suit of armour upon its lid, with his name beneath. There doesn’t seem to be anything else.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Does Lady Allingham employ an estate manager?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Or did Lord Allingham used to deal with all of those issues?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander examines the tombs with interest, paying special attention to any names and dates inscribed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Your assumptions do you justice again, sir" says Howard to FitzWilliam. "Sir William managed the estate personally".

To everyone he says, "Shall we move on?"
OOC,There's nothing else of interest here.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam nodded and indicated that Howard should lead the way. Falling in alongside the butler as they walked, he asked, ”So what of his Lordship’s relationship with the local people? Lady Allingham suggested that was particularly fraught.”

FitzWilliam studied Howard as he waited for a reply.

Return to “The Burnt Man”