Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Rooter »

Exchanging a glance with Isolde, Percy turns back from the window. "No men to be seen, burnt or otherwise. Must have been a bad dream as you say."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde comes back and once Ursula has gone back to bed with her mother she says, "There was nothing outside that Percy or I could see. The burnt man can only be her father's body surely? I can't believe anyone let her see it so how does she know unless she overheard gossip or is receiving a message from the other side.

We'd better hurry back to our posts; let's hope there hasn't been a disturbance in the meantime! I'll come and check each room now."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam [/b]nodded his agreement and made his way back down the stairs. He checked the area at the bottom of the stairs once again before he took up his previous post.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Percy,Returning to the kitchen, Percy finds that one of the back doors is open. There is no other sign of disturbance. There are no tracks outside. He closes and locks the door.
The time passes slowly and the house grows even colder. It is now 3am, and no other disturbances are witnessed.
OOC,Do you want to call it a night? You’ll have to weigh up what you think you can achieve by standing guard against the need to keep your energy for tomorrow’s investigations.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Were there any previous reports of disturbances in the hours shortly before dawn?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Most seemed to occur in the early hours after midnight.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Expecting that the window of activity has passed with dawn not far off, Percy decides to head back to bed; before retiring he mentions to the others in passing that the back door of the kitchen was opened and left open while they were upstairs with no sign of any disturbance or tracks.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”When I was in the dining room, I saw the door handle move across the room but when I checked the corridor beyond, there was no-one there,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”l was heading back to the dining room when I heard Miss Ursula scream...”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I think the door handle may have been a precursor to something but the child screaming put an end to anything happening last night. It is strange about the kitchen door though. I suppose we should admit defeat tonight and turn in." Isolde says to the others when they meet again a few hours before dawn. "I shall be up for a late breakfast."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I’ll begin a new thread for the next day later then. The characters can have a lie-in and a late breakfast. Unfortunately Melody was out of the action, but she can get back involved again. You guys can think about what course of action you want to take. You have a couple of options.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I also heard a sound like a moan from out in the corridor," says Alexander, "but when I went to look, nobody was there. Probably just a draft. Well, I'm off to bed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “The Burnt Man”